CHAPTER XIV.

REV. E. E. EDWARDS.REV. E. E. EDWARDS.

Noah Marcus Humphreywas born in 1809, at Goshen, Smithfield Connecticut. He removed to Ohio in 1833, served in the Ohio legislature in 1852 and 1853, and was for six years judge of probate court in Summit county. He was married twice, the second time to Mrs. Young, in 1840. His first wife left two children, Mark, for some time a resident of Taylor's Falls, now deceased, and Laura, wife of David Caneday. Judge Humphrey has been justice of the peace in Taylor's Falls for twenty years, and postmaster for as many more. He was judgeof probate court for ten years, and has recently been re-elected to that position.

Royal C. Graywas born in Bakersfield, Vermont, October, 1832. He spent his early life in Vermont and Massachusetts. He came West in 1850, and located in Kanabec county, where he farmed and kept a public house at Greely station, on Kanabec river, until 1860, when he returned to Massachusetts. In 1864 he returned to the St. Croix valley and located in Taylor's Falls, where he still resides. He has been employed by the St. Paul & Duluth Railroad Company for ten years as surveyor and explorer, and holds some valuable pine lands. In 1861 Mr. Gray was married to Ann Eliza Johnson, in Massachusetts. They have one son, Orin.

John Philip Owens.—William Owens, the father of John Philip, came to America from North Wales, and served as a soldier in the war of 1812. John Philip was born Jan. 6, 1818. His father died seven years later, and the son was brought up on a farm by a stepfather. He received an academic education at Cincinnati, Ohio. At the age of seventeen he commenced learning the printer's trade, served as an apprentice four years, and graduated on his twenty-first birthday. Having some means inherited from his father, he commenced a newspaper enterprise at Cincinnati, invested and lost all his money. For several years he was engaged as a reporter and assistant editor on various papers in Cincinnati, Louisville, Vicksburg and New Orleans. In 1849 he formed a business partnership with Nat. McLean, of Cincinnati, to establish a paper at St. Paul. He arrived at St. Paul May 27th of that year. The first number of theMinnesota Registerwas printed in Cincinnati and brought to St. Paul for distribution in July. In October the paper was united with theMinnesota Chronicle, and so published until July, 1850, when it was discontinued. In 1851 Mr. Owens and G. W. Moore started theWeekly Minnesotian, adding in 1854 a daily and tri-weekly edition. TheMinnesotianwas ably edited, and was Republican in politics. Owing to poor health, Mr. Owens sold his interest in theMinnesotian. In 1862 he was appointed quartermaster of the Ninth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. This regiment did service in the State during the Sioux War, but in 1864 was ordered South and attached to the Sixteenth Army Corps. Mr. Owens served as regimental and brigade quartermaster until the closeof the war. In April, 1868, he was appointed register of the United States land office, which position he held until his death, Sept. 11, 1884. He was first Grand Master of the I. O. O. F. in Minnesota; He left at his death an unpublished manuscript, "The Political History of the State of Minnesota." His first wife was Helen McAllister, whom he married in Ohio in 1848. She left an only daughter, Mary Helen. Mr. Owens' second wife was Frances M. Hobbs, whom he married Oct. 26, 1853, in New York City.

Andrew Clendenningwas born in 1798, in the north of Ireland. He was a Protestant, united with the Methodist church when a young man and proved ever after a consistent Christian, strong in his religious convictions and a faithful worker. He crossed the ocean in 1835, locating first at New Brunswick. In 1855 he came to Michigan, in 1859 to St. Croix Falls, in 1870 to Taylor's Falls, where he resided until his death, in 1875. He left three sons in Taylor's Falls, Andrew, James and George, and one son in Oregon. One son, Joseph, died in the service of his adopted country, having enlisted in Company C, Seventh Minnesota. One daughter, the wife of Thomas Thompson, of St. Croix Falls, died in 1886.

Smith Ellisonwas born in Marine, Madison county, Illinois, March 15, 1823. He came to Marine Mills in 1844. For two years he was in the employ of Judd, Walker & Co. The next three years he spent at Osceola, Wisconsin. In 1849 he engaged in logging and continued in that business for many years. In 1856 he settled on and improved a farm in Sunrise. In 1868 he removed to Taylor's Falls and formed a partnership with L. K. Stannard in the mercantile and lumbering business. Mr. Ellison was a representative in the eighth legislature, and served as county commissioner eight years. In late years he has been interested in a saw, planing and flour mill at Stillwater. He is a stockholder and director in the First National Bank at Stillwater and owns large tracts of pine lands. He has applied himself closely to business, is energetic, cautious and thoroughly reliable. Mr. Ellison is unmarried.

Includes township 33, range 21. The eastern half is well timbered, the west has oak openings. Sunrise river flows in anortherly direction through the township, and with its tributaries and numerous lakes supplies it abundantly with water. There are some wild meadows and tamarack swamps. Green lake, in the eastern part of the township, is a picturesque sheet of water, five miles in length by one and a half broad, with sloping timbered shores and cedar points projecting into the lake, in one place forming a natural roadway nearly across, which is connected with the mainland opposite by a bridge.

SMITH ELLISON.SMITH ELLISON.

A colony from Eastern Pennsylvania settled the western part of the township in 1855. The colony was composed of L. O. Tombler, Dr. John W. Comfort, E. K. Benton, and some others, in all ten families. The eastern part had been previously settled by Swedes. The township was organized in 1858. Thesupervisors were J. W. Comfort, L. O. Tombler and Fred Tepel. A post office was established at Wyoming with J. Engle as postmaster. The Catholics and Methodists erected churches in 1864. The St. Paul & Duluth railroad was completed in 1868, and in 1879 the branch road to Taylor's Falls. The township was settled rapidly after the completion of the railroad. At the junction of the two roads there is a good depot, two stores and a fine hotel, the latter kept by L. O. Tombler.

Was surveyed and platted by Ben. W. Brunson in 1869, in portions of sections 17, 19 and 20, township 33, range 21; proprietors, Western Land Association, L. Mendenhall, agent.

Was surveyed and platted by Alex. Cairns, October, 1856, in sections 1 and 12, township 33, range 21; proprietor, Erastus S. Edgerton.

Lucius O. Tomblerwas born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in 1823. His ancestors were Moravians, who, driven from Germany in the eighteenth century, came to America, and founded the colony of Bethlehem, a colony famed for its thrift, advancement in educational matters, and high morality. Mr. Tombler and his wife, Christiana Brown, to whom he was married in 1845, were educated in the Moravian schools. They came with the colony from Bethlehem to Wyoming in 1855, and built a two story log hotel on the St. Paul and Lake Superior stage road, which was long noted as a rest for the weary traveler and a home for the invalid. Mr. Tombler was an energetic, worthy man, genial in his manners, a good farmer, a good landlord, and an accomplished musician besides. Mrs. Tombler possessed superior endowments as a landlady, and the house soon gained widespread popularity with the traveling public. The first hotel was burned in 1876, but the year following a more commodious building was erected on the grounds, which, with its modern improvements within, and its park-like surroundings, is more popular with the traveling public than its predecessor. The Tombler family consists of Charles A., the father of Lucius O., born in 1800, but still hale and vigorous, in the possession of all his faculties, two sons, Maurice and Milton, and one daughter, Laura. Charles A.,the grandfather, has received the thirty-third degree Scottish Masonic rite.

Dr. John Woolman Comfortwas born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1804. He graduated at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1836, and practiced medicine continuously, and, although an accomplished graduate of an allopathic school, was a zealous advocate and exponent of the Thompsonian system, in favor of which he published several works. He was also for some years editor of theThompsonian Medical Journal. As a physician he was untiring, and impartial in the performance of his duties, never refusing a medical call on account of the poverty of the patient. He was especially kind to the poor. He came to Wyoming with the colony in 1855, and died there Feb. 9, 1881, leaving a widow, since deceased, one son in Philadelphia, and two daughters, Mrs. Markley, of Wyoming, and Mrs. Carter, of Melbourne, Australia.

Isaac Markleywas born in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, April 2, 1822. In the spring of 1849 he came westward, and engaged in steamboating. He commanded the Uncle Toby, and in October, 1850, ran his steamboat from St. Louis to Taylor's Falls for the writer of this work. He engaged in mercantile pursuits for some time in St. Paul, and in 1871 came to Wyoming and located on a farm. He was married to Frances, a daughter of Dr. Comfort. He died at his home, February, 1883.

Joel Wrightwas born in Pennsylvania in 1800, and came to Wyoming with the Bethlehem colony in 1855. He is a blacksmith by trade, but has also devoted himself to hunting and trapping. Mr. Wright has been married three times, and has three children.

Randall Wright, second son of the foregoing, was born in Pennsylvania in 1828; was married to Anna Montgomery in 1850, and came to Wyoming in 1855. He is a house carpenter by trade.

Frederic Tepelwas born in Hanover, Germany, in 1824; received a fair education and learned the trade of blacksmithing. He came to America in 1843, lived in New Orleans one year, in St. Louis ten years, in St. Paul one year, and settled in Wyoming in 1855. In 1847 he was married to Fredrica Wilmina, of St. Louis. They have seven children. Mr. Tepel has held many town offices to the satisfaction of his townsmen. He has been for forty years a member of the Methodist church.Charles Henry Sauerwas born in Germany in 1824; served as a soldier in the German Army three years, and in the twenty-fourth year of his age came to America. The year following he returned to Europe and was married. In 1851 he took up his residence in Chicago, and in 1855 came to Wyoming, and engaged in farming. He has three sons, Fred, Henry and Harvey, and a daughter married to a Lutheran minister.

The early history of Washington county is to be found in the history of St. Croix county, Wisconsin, of which it was a part until the organization of Minnesota Territory in 1849. At the first session of the territorial legislature Washington county was established in full for county and judicial purposes. It included all that part of the Territory lying east of the range line between ranges 21 and 22 and north of the Mississippi as far as the British possessions and fractional parts of townships 29 and 30, range 22.

The courts held prior to this organization are referred to elsewhere. The first territorial court in Washington county was held Aug. 13, 1849, Judge Aaron Goodrich, presiding; Judge David Cooper, associate. It continued in session six days. There were sixty cases on the calendar. Harvey Wilson was clerk of court; A. M. Mitchell, of St. Paul, United States marshal; Henry L. Moss, district attorney; John Morgan, sheriff. The lawyers present were H. L. Moss; M. S. Wilkinson, M. E. Ames, A. M. Mitchell, L. Babcock, and David Lambert. The second court house (the first under the new organization) was built in Stillwater, corner of Fourth and Chestnut streets, in 1849, at a cost of $3,600. This was the first court house in the territory of Minnesota. The lot was donated by John McKusick. In this building were held all the courts from 1849 to 1867. In that year Churchill & Nelson donated a city block on Nelson Hill, a fine location overlooking the city and lake, and the county erected upon it a fine stone structure costing $60,000, including jail and ground improvements.

The first election was held Nov. 26, 1849. The following board of county officers was elected: Commissioners, John McKusick, Hiram Berkey, Joseph Haskell; treasurer, Socrates Nelson; register of deeds, John S. Proctor; judge of probate, Harvey Wilson; sheriff, Jesse Taylor. At the same election the following persons were elected justices of the peace in their various precincts: St. Croix Falls, Jerry Ross; Point Douglas, Martin Leavitt; Stillwater, Albert Harris and H. K. McKinstry; Marine, James Moore and W. H. Johnson.

The territory of the county has been from time to time divided and subdivided for the organization of new counties. Washington county, however, was divided but once. In 1852 the county of Chisago was set off in the north, since which time its boundaries have been, Chisago on the north, the St. Croix river and lake on the east, the Mississippi river on the south, Anoka and Ramsey counties and the Mississippi river on the west. It includes the following townships: From 27 to 32 inclusive, ranges 20 and 21, and fractional parts of townships 31 and 32, range 19, and fractional part of township 26, range 20.

Was organized as a town in 1858. Joseph Haskell, G. W. Cutler and H. L. Thomas were the first supervisors; Minor H. Thomas, clerk. It includes a fractional part of township 28, range 20. It is well watered by Bolles and Valley creeks, streams tributary to the St. Croix. The southwestern part of the township is rolling prairie, the remainder somewhat broken. The soil is all productive and the streams afford good water powers. The township had French settlers as early as 1837,—Baptist Fornier and others. Joseph Haskell commenced his farm in 1839. Prior to 1850 A. Mackey, L. Bolles, P. J. Carli, T. F. Randolph, E. Bissell, N. H. Johnson, James Getchell, and A. McHattie located in the town.

The first crops were raised by the French settlers. The first marriage was that of Andrew Mackey to Mrs. Hamilton, in 1844. The first child born was Helen M. Haskell, daughter of Joseph Haskell. The first death was that of Paul J. Carli, in 1844, accidentally drowned in the lake. The first road was located between Stillwater and Point Douglas, in 1847. A military road was surveyed from Point Douglas to Superior through this town in 1850. Lemuel Bolles erected a flouring mill on Bollescreek, in the winter of 1845-46, the first to grind wheat north of Prairie du Chien. The old mill was long since replaced by a new one, and the mill property has changed owners many times, Emil Munch being the last owner. The present mill is a fine structure with a capacity of fifty barrels per day. The first post office was at the old mill; L. Bolles, postmaster. The first organized school was in the Haskell district, in 1855. The Scandinavian Methodists have a church in section 18, built in 1885. The German Lutherans have a church in section 6, and a parochial school.

In May, 1855, Afton village was surveyed and platted by Haskell, Getchell & Thomas, in section 23; Emerson & Case were the surveyors. The village is beautifully located on the shore of the lake and contains one hotel, one church (Congregational), one school house, an academy building, and several stores, shops and dwellings. The academy, known as the St. Croix Academy, was established in 1868, and the building, a handsome three story brick structure, erected the same year. Mr. Gorrie was the first principal. Simon Putnam was the first pastor of the Congregational church.

Is located one mile south of Afton, on the shores of the lake. It has an elevator, store, warehouses and other buildings. A saw mill was built by Lowry & Co., between Afton and South Afton; in 1854, and rebuilt in 1855 by Thomas & Sons. The Getchell Brothers built a mill in 1861, which was burned.

Is a small village on Bolles creek, in sections 9 and 10. Erastus Bolles located here in 1857, and improved the water power, built a machine shop and manufactured edge tools. He sold out to his son, C. E. Bolles, who further improved the property by building a corn and feed mill. In 1860 Gilbert & Buswell erected a flour mill with three run of stone. The post office in this village was established in 1874, with Erastus Bolles as postmaster.

Was platted in 1855, on lots 1, 2 and 3, section 14. Thomas W. Coleman, proprietor; James A. Carr, surveyor.

Joseph Haskellwas born Jan. 9, 1805, in Kennebec county, Maine. During his minority he worked with his father on a farm at Skowhegan, Maine. In 1837 he came West, stopping two years in Indiana. July 24, 1839, he arrived at Fort Snelling on the steamer Ariel, obtained employment of Frank Steele for whom he, with others, rowed a mackinaw boat from Fort Snelling to St. Croix Falls. While at the falls he worked on the dam and mill, then in process of building. In the fall of 1839 he made a trip to Fort Snelling and returned to the Falls, carrying the mail in a birch canoe to Catfish bar, and then across by Indian trail to the Fort. While on this trip he made the claim for his homestead in Afton. In 1840 he put three acres under cultivation, raising corn and potatoes. This was the first attempt at farming, except by the French pioneers, who raised only garden crops, north of Prairie du Chien. September, 1844, he made a trip to Maine, and returned bringing three sisters with him. They kept house for him until he married. Mr. Haskell was married to Olive Furber, sister of J. W. Furber, in 1849. They have four children, Helen M., Mary E., Henry Pitt and Hiram A. Mr. Haskell was a representative in the state legislatures of 1869 and 1871. He was of most exemplary habits. He died at his home Jan. 23, 1885.

Lemuel Bolleswas born in New York. He came to St. Croix Falls in 1840. In 1843 he opened a grindstone quarry in the soft, coarse sandstones, a short distance below the Dalles. In 1844-45 his grindstones were much used. He made Stillwater his home in 1844-55, when he removed to Afton. He was industrious, ingenious and eccentric. He died in Stillwater in 1875.

Taylor F. Randolphwas the first school teacher in Washington county. He and his wife taught at Red Rock in 1837-38-39-40, under the supervision of the Methodist mission at that place. In 1842 he settled on a farm in a valley near Bissell's Mounds, Afton, where he and his wife died in 1846.

Elijah Bissell, in 1842, located a farm near the three mounds in section 8, which now bear his name. He left the county in 1850.

Andrew Mackey.—Mr. Mackey, of whom some mention is made in the chapter concerning the early history, is one of the first pioneers, having come in 1837 with John Boyce to the valley of the St. Croix in a mackinaw boat, towed from St. Louisto the mouth of Lake St. Croix by a steamer, from which point they poled their boat up to the St. Croix falls, where they landed on the west side. From this point they made a portage and cordelled their boat, and with poles and lines ascended to Snake river. He engaged for some time in lumbering, and worked at the falls until 1841, when he settled on a beautiful farm, on a part of which Afton is now situated. Mr. Mackey was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1804, and (in 1888) is still living. His wife died in 1873.

Comprises the north half of fractional township 28, range 20. The surface is somewhat uneven and broken, owing to the lake bluff formation, but there is much good farming land. Originally it was covered with oaks or oak openings. It derives its name from a bay indenting the western shore of Lake St. Croix. At South Stillwater village a considerable stream, known as Spring creek, flows from some large springs and forms a good water power in its descent to the lake. Two flour mills are located on this stream. In 1842 Francis Bruce built a house on the present site of the office of the St. Croix Lumber Company. In the same year Norman Kittson built a trading post at what has been since known as Kittson's Point. Both of these parties left in 1844 and John Allen built a house and cultivated a field on the east side of Kittson's Point. Allen sold the place in 1846 and removed to California. He raised the first crops in the town. In 1847 Joseph Pero became a prominent settler and made him a good home on Spring creek. Other parties made claims and abandoned or sold them. Fiske & Marty located here in 1848. In 1860 came Ambrose Secrest and some others. In 1852 Nelson, Loomis & Co. built a steam saw mill on the bay. In 1854 Secrest & Booth built a flour mill on Spring creek. In 1858 Baytown was organized as a town. The first supervisors were Ambrose Secrest, John Parker and W. H. Crosby; John J. Hale, clerk.

Socrates Nelson, D. B. Loomis, Levi Churchill, Daniel Mears, and James W. Hinton, in February, 1856, platted the village of Baytown. Harvey Wilson was the surveyor. The location was on the lake shore, lots 3 and 4, section 11, and lot 7, section 2.In 1872 a post office was established called South Stillwater; William Graves, postmaster.

Was platted May. 1857, by C. I. and J. E. Whitney, Albert and Edwin Caldwell, Wm. Hollinshead, Isaac Staples, and A. J. Short; J. J. Carleton, surveyor. It was situated on the shore of the lake south of Baytown.

Was platted in July, 1857, in parts of sections 2 and 3, by William Holcomb; Myron B. Shepard, surveyor.

Was platted in January, 1873, by the St. Croix Railway Improvement Company; Peter Berkey, president; A. B. Stickney, secretary; J. S. Sewall, surveyor. South Stillwater was made to include the platted villages of Baytown, Bangor and Middletown. It has prospered greatly as a manufacturing village. In 1854 Torinus, Staples & Co. built a steam saw mill, to which from time to time they added various manufacturing establishments. Subsequently the firm became the St. Croix Lumber Company. In the spring of 1876 this company sustained a loss by fire on their mill and appurtenances to the value of $70,000, which was not insured: With indomitable energy they rebuilt, and prospered. The two leading business men in this firm were Louis Torinus and William Chalmers. Turnbull's steam saw mill, on the lake shore, has a capacity of 100,000 feet per day. The property is valued at $70,000. The South Stillwater Lumber Company has a mill with a capacity of 90,000 feet per day, with planer and other machinery attached, in which they have invested $70,000. The firm consists of D. Tozer, A. T. Jenks, H. McGlinn, E. W. Durant, and R. Wheeler. The mills of the Herschey Lumber Company, valued at $70,000, have a capacity of 100,000 feet per day. The proprietor, —— Herschey, lives in Muscatine, Iowa.

The Stillwater Dock Company was organized in 1877. The company consists of Durant, Wheeler & Co., St. Croix Lumber Company and Jonah Bachelder. They have built many fine steamers and barges. Their repairing docks are a great convenienceto steamboat lumbermen. The South Stillwater Soap Factory, owned by McKenzie & Co., deserves honorable mention. The construction of the branch railroad from Stillwater in 1872, and the St. Paul & Milwaukee railroad, built in 1883, have greatly increased the prosperity of the village. Aside from mills and manufactories there are many private residences, one hotel, stores, shops, a Lutheran church, and a school house. There are three cemeteries in the village limits known as Hazlewood, St. Michael's, and the potter's field. The block for the former was contributed by Secrest & Pero, in 1858. St. Michael's was established by the Catholics in 1873. The potter's field was established by the city of Stillwater in 1873. The first death in the limits of South Stillwater was that of Sylvester, son of Joseph Pero. South Stillwater was organized in 1881. First board of officers were: President, B. E. Meigs; clerk, Edward Ivison; councilmen, Richard Burns, C. M. Anderson, Charles Kregor; justice of the peace, Ambrose Secrest. South Stillwater has a graded school with four departments.

Includes township 27 and a fractional part of township 26, range 21. It was organized as a town in October, 1858; James S. Norris, moderator; William Watson, clerk; John Atkinson, Jacob Moshier, Joel Munger, judges of election; William Watson, John Atkinson, B. Winant; supervisors. Wm. Ferguson, Lewis Hill, James S. Davis, Jonathan Brown, and Jacob Moshier were the first settlers, locating here in 1844. The first marriage was that of Henry W. Crosby to Hannah Waterman, in 1854. The first child born was Nathan, son of John Atkinson, in 1846; the first death was that of Mehitable, wife of P. P. Furber, in 1851. A post office was established at Cottage Grove village in 1850; J. W. Furber was postmaster. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad was completed through the town in 1871. With its fine natural advantages of soil, and its convenient access to markets, Cottage Grove is well settled and prosperous.

Is situated in section 12. It is a pleasant inland village, well supplied with stores, shops and dwellings. It has one hotel, one school house and three churches, Congregational, EvangelicalGerman Lutheran and Methodist. The Congregational society was organized in 1858, Rev. B. Hall, pastor; the Evangelical in 1874; the Methodist some years later. The Universalists also have an organization. The village was platted in April, 1871, by John P. and S. W. Furber, James A. McClusky, Margaret M. Ellwell and Clarence Smith, in the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 12; J. W. Furber, surveyor.

Was platted in December, 1871, in the southwest quarter of section 21, on the line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad. It contains an elevator, hotel, three stores, a school house, Catholic church and other buildings. The Catholic church was erected in 1873. Father Huxley is the officiating clergyman. The village was platted by Joseph J. Dodge; C. B. Lowell, surveyor.

Joseph W. Furberwas born in New Hampshire in 1813. His ancestors came to this country with the early colonists of New England. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812. During his minority he worked at farming, obtaining, meanwhile, an education in the common schools and at Foxcroft Academy, Maine. He emigrated to the valley of the Mississippi in 1838, locating at Alton, Illinois, where he remained for two years. In 1840 he came to St. Croix Falls and engaged in lumbering until 1844, when he located in Cottage Grove. In 1846 Mr. Furber represented Crawford county in the Wisconsin legislature as representative. He traveled on foot as far as Prairie du Chien on his way to the capital of the Territory. He represented the First district in the first Minnesota territorial legislature and was elected speaker of the house; was again a representative in the eighth territorial legislature in 1857; was a member of the tenth and seventeenth state legislatures. In 1857 he was commissioned major general of Minnesota militia. He was also appointed United States marshal of Minnesota by President Fillmore. He died at his residence in Cottage Grove in 1883. He was a man of strong intellect, sound judgment and high moral character. His widow, Sarah Wimples, to whom he was married in 1843, one son, William W., and two daughters survive him.

Samuel W. Furberwas born in Stafford county, NewHampshire, in 1819. He removed with his parents to Milo, Maine, and came to Cottage Grove in 1860.

Theodore Furberwas born in 1817, in Farmington, New Hampshire; came West in 1845 and located at St. Croix Falls. In the following year he moved to Cottage Grove. Mr. Furber was married to Sarah J. Hale in 1843, in Skowhegan, Maine. Mr. and Mrs. Furber visited California in 1867. In 1885 they removed to California.

James S. Norris.—James S. Norris was born in Monmouth, Kennebec county, Maine, in 1810. He was married at Newport in 1845 to Miss Haskell. Mr. Norris came to St. Croix Falls in 1839, removed to Washington county in 1842, where he settled on a farm at Cottage Grove, and lived continuously till his death, March 5, 1874. He raised the first crops in Cottage Grove, and though he made farming his chief business, his abilities were such that his fellow citizens intrusted him with many official positions, in all of which he acquitted himself with honor. He acted as county commissioner, was a member of the first territorial council, member of the sixth and seventh territorial house of representatives, and speaker of the sixth, a member of the Democratic wing of the constitutional convention, and of the twelfth state legislature (house).

Lewis Hillwas born at Hollis, Maine, in 1822. In 1843 he came to the valley of the St. Croix and located at St. Croix Falls. In 1844 he came to Cottage Grove and engaged in farming, and, excepting a few years spent in Dakota county, has resided there since. He was married to Abbie Welch in 1854. Their living children are Emma C., Jessie L. and Frederick E. G.

Jacob Moshierwas born in Nova Scotia in 1820. He removed with his parents in 1829 to Canada West. In 1839 he removed to Illinois, in 1843 to St. Croix Falls, and in 1845 to Cottage Grove, where he still resides. He is a house carpenter, and has also been engaged in farming. He was married in 1854 to Maria Shatto. Their children are Annie F., Mahala, William, Addie, Grant, Laura, and George.

William Fergusoncame to Cottage Grove in 1844, and made a claim in section 26.

John Atkinsonwas born in Lewiston, Maine, April 4, 1805. He remained in his native town until 1833, resided in Pittsfield until 1844, when he came West and located in CottageGrove. He pre-empted eighty acres of land, purchased additions to it from time to time, and made for himself a very attractive home, where he resided thirty years. Mr. Atkinson was twice married, first to Hannah Moore, at Lewiston, Maine, who died in 1874, then to Mrs. A. B. Fiske, of Baytown, at which place he now resides, an aged, much respected citizen. His first wife left four sons and two daughters.

This town is located on the point of land between the Mississippi river and Lake St. Croix, and includes the territory lying south of Afton, and between Cottage Grove and Lake St. Croix, fractional townships 26 and 27, range 20. The surface is elevated, somewhat rolling, without lakes or streams, and the soil rich and well adapted to agricultural purposes. The early history of the town is substantially that of its earliest settlement, Point Douglas. It was organized in 1858. Supervisors, John Shearer, Thomas Wright and David Hone.

Levi Hertzell and Oscar Burris, young men, located in 1839 on the extreme point of the delta between the Mississippi and St. Croix lake, where they cut wood and sold it to the steamboats. They built a log cabin and store, under one roof, and traded with Indians, discharged soldiers and French settlers. They were diligent and industrious, and prospered. In 1846 they built a frame store building. Their trade increased and they grew wealthy. Messrs. Levi Hertzell, Oscar Burris and David Hone, in 1849, platted the village of Point Douglas, Harvey Wilson acting as surveyor. It was named in honor of Stephen A. Douglas.

The following settlers came to Point Douglas prior to 1850: Wm. B. Dibble, the Truaxes, Harley D. White, David Barber, E. H. Whittaker, James Shearer, Martin Leavitt, Simon Shingledecker, H. A. Carter, Thomas Hetherington, Geo. W. Campbell, John Allibone, Mark Wright, John H. Craig, John O. Henry, and George Harris. The first post office north of Prairie du Chien was established in 1840, on the site of Prescott, at that time known as "Mouth of St. Croix." This office was removed to the opposite side of the lake in 1841, and Levi Hertzell wasappointed postmaster. The first school was taught in 1850, by John Craig. Rev. Joseph Hurlbut, a Methodist minister, preached here in 1848. In 1656 Rev. T. Wilcoxson, Episcopalian, established "St. Paul's Parish." Mr. Woodruff erected a saw mill in 1851. The enterprise was not successful. A. J. Short built a saw mill in 1858, which eventually passed into the hands of John Dudley. The first road to Point Douglas was the Stillwater county road, located in 1847. The Point Douglas and Lake Superior military road was built in 1849. A ferry was established in 1851 from Point Douglas to Prescott, which was chartered in 1856, and controlled by W. B. Dibble, who also established a ferry from Point Douglas to Hastings in 1857. The first marriage was that of Oscar Burris to Amanda M. Henry, Nov. 14, 1847. The first birth was that of Emmet M. Hone, born in 1845, son of David and Mary G. Hone.

Levi Hertzellcame to Point Douglas in 1839, and was quite successful in business. In 1846 he was married to Rhoda C. Pond, an adopted daughter of Cornelius Lyman, of Stillwater. In 1849, in company with Burris and Hone, he platted the village of Point Douglas. In the spring of 1856, while in New York, whither he had gone to purchase goods, he mysteriously disappeared, and nothing has since been heard from him. Mrs. Hertzell and her three children were left in a dependent condition, she being able to realize but little from the property held in Point Douglas. She soon after married again. Of her subsequent history nothing is known.

Oscar Burris, associated with Levi Hertzell as one of the first settlers of Point Douglas and pioneer merchants and traders, left in 1849 for California.

David Hone.—The following statement was given me, on request, by Mr. Hone himself: "I was born in Cherry Valley, Otsego county, New York, April 5, 1808, and was married to Mary Henry in 1835. We came by stage over the mountains of Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh and by steamboat from there to Cairo, Illinois, and stopped at the Marine settlement until Sept. 10, 1838. At that time I embarked on the steamboat Ariel, at St. Louis, and in twenty-five days reached the head of Lake St. Croix, from which point I proceeded on a flatboat, propelled by poles, to St. Croix Falls, the trip occupying two days. I made a pine timber claim on an island opposite the mouth of Kettleriver. On my return, which was made with eight companions in birch canoes, I stopped at Marine and made a claim where the Marine mill now stands, intending to build a saw mill. We then proceeded in our canoes to Galena, where we took passage on the Ariel for St. Louis, landing there November 10th, after an absence of two months, more than half of which had been spent on the water. We reported favorably, and, organizing a company of thirteen at Marine settlement, Illinois, with a capital of $26,000, got our material together at St. Louis during the winter, and embarked on the Fayette, May 4, 1839, for the point afterward known as Marine Mills, Minnesota. We arrived May 13th and commenced at once to work upon the projected mill, which was completed Sept. 1, 1839. I remained at the mill until March, 1841, when I removed to Gray Cloud. I made a claim at Point Douglas in 1843, and moved upon it in April of that year. In 1844 I built the Union House, the first frame house built in the territory now embraced in Minnesota. At Gray Cloud I acted as justice of the peace. I was appointed deputy sheriff by Sheriff R. D. Lester of Crawford county, and held the office until Minnesota Territory was organized. My first wife died in November, 1864, leaving three sons, Edwin A., John H. and Emmet M. In 1865 I was married to Electa Barnes, of St. Paul. In 1872 I removed to Hastings, my present home." Mr. Hone died at Hastings, July 11, 1887.

William B. Dibblewas born in the state of New York in 1815. He spent part of his early life in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Alabama and Illinois. He came to the St. Croix valley in 1839, and was one of the founders of Marine, Minnesota, from whence he removed to Point Douglas in 1844, and established ferries across Lake St. Croix to Prescott, and across the Mississippi river to Hastings. He also engaged in farming. He was twice married, first in 1844, to Eliza McCauslin, who died in 1847, then to Mary Wright, who, with nine children, survives him. Mr. Dibble died in 1884.

George Harriswas born in Pennsylvania in 1824. In 1827 his father removed to Illinois and was killed during the Black Hawk War while acting as sentry. At the age of eight years George commenced working on a farm, and continued nine years. He then removed to Missouri and remained until 1845, when he came to Stillwater and engaged in lumbering. Soon afterwardhe settled on a farm near Point Douglas, where he still resides. His family consists of a wife (formerly Alice White) and seven children.

Harley D. Whitewas born in Orange county, Vermont, in 1812; came to Prairie du Chien in 1840 and engaged in selling goods; removed to Red Rock in 1844 where he sold goods in partnership with Daniel Hopkins, and settled on a farm at Point Douglas in 1847. Some years later he removed to Beattie, Kansas. He was married to Mrs. E. Tainter, of St. Croix Falls, in 1849. She died in 1850, leaving a daughter, who was adopted into the family of W. H. Tinker, of St. Paul. This daughter became a teacher and taught in the public schools of St. Paul for a period of eighteen years, and with her earnings purchased a home for her foster parents. Mr. White married a second time and reared two sons, one an editor, now residing in Alameda, California. The other is engaged in farming in Kansas. Mr. White died in April, 1888.

Thomas Hetheringtonwas born in Northumberland, England, in 1818; came to Canada at the age of sixteen years and to Point Douglas in 1849 and settled on a farm at Basswood Grove, where he died in 1885, leaving his family in good circumstances. He was held in great esteem as an upright man by those who knew him.

James Shearerwas born at Palmer, Massachusetts, Oct. 30, 1815. He was engaged in the mercantile business from 1837 to 1843, when he sold out and went to Canada. He came to Point Douglas May 8, 1849, and engaged in farming. He held various offices of trust in the county and town. He served as county commissioner for 6 years, postmaster 2 years, chairman of town board of Denmark for 4 years, and town treasurer 12 years. Mr. Shearer was married to Minerva J. Taylor, March 6, 1866. Their children are Marcus, Martha and Irvin.

Simon Shingledeckerwas born in Germany in 1815; came to America in 1831 and located in Ohio, where he worked nine years as a farmer. He removed thence to Illinois, then to St. Louis, and in 1845 came to Hudson, Wisconsin, where he engaged in lumbering. In 1848 he located on a farm near Point Douglas, which is still his home. In 1850 he was married to Margaret Truax. They have eight children.

Caleb Trauxwas born in Mohawk valley in 1810. He becamea citizen of Montreal and was there married to Elisabeth Morehouse. He removed to Point Douglas in 1849, where he followed the business of farmer and house carpenter. He was a representative in the fourth territorial legislature. He died at his home in 1878, leaving seven sons and three daughters.

Abraham Truaxwas born in Brooklynn, Canada West. He came to Point Douglas in 1848; removed to Hastings in 1850. While there he was elected sheriff of Dakota county. He returned to Point Douglas in 1859, where he still resides. He was married to Mary Lahey in 1859. Mrs. Truax died in 1867, leaving five children.

George W. Campbellwas born in Canton, New York, April 8, 1810. He received a common school and academic education. His father died in 1826, leaving to George W. the care of the family and the management of the estate. He was married in 1832, at Cornwell, Canada West, to Margaret Harriet Robinson. He came to Point Douglas in 1848, where he has lived since, engaged in farming and lumbering. He was a representative in the first state legislature, 1857-58. Mrs. Campbell died at her home in Point Douglas in 1886, aged seventy-four years. She had been a member of the Episcopal church for sixty years. Six of her seven surviving children with the aged husband and father attended the funeral. Mr. Campbell died in 1887.

This town includes township 32, range 21. The surface was originally covered with hardwood timber, interspersed with wild meadows; the western part with oak, maple, poplar and tamarack. The first settlers were Louis Schiel, Wilson, Rice and Cyrus Gray. Later came Simmons, Posten, Marsh, York, and Banty. The first marriage was that of Francis Cartwright to Mary Long, in 1865. The first child born was Rebecca Simmons. The first death was that of Frederic Veith, in 1867. In 1873 the first school district was organized. A Methodist church was organized in 1876 by Rev. Adam Ringer. The Forest Lake Lodge, I. O. G. T., was organized in 1879. A post office was established in 1868; Michael Marsh, postmaster. The town of Forest Lake was organized in 1874; W. D. Benedict, A. C. York and George Simmons, supervisors; Louis Schiel, clerk.

Was platted May, 1869, in the northwest part of the town, by Luther Mendenhall, agent of the Western Land Company, and surveyed by B. W. Brunson. It is beautifully located on the shore of Forest lake and is rapidly becoming a popular place of resort for summer tourists and pleasure parties. The lake is almost separated into three distinct parts by points or capes. It is five miles from the northwest to the southeast extremity and is nearly two miles wide at the widest point. Its shores are well timbered and approach the water's edge in gravelly slopes. The indications are that the lake was once much larger. In the south lakes the water is deepest, averaging twenty feet. The south lakes have also higher banks. The lake covers territory in sections 8 to 15, inclusive, of township 32, range 21.

Capt. Michael Marshis a native of Wesemburg, Germany, and has resided at this lake nineteen years. He has done much to make it attractive as a place of resort. He has built a hotel with seventy-five rooms for the accommodation of summer visitors, and has placed a steamer, the Germania, upon the lake. Capt. Marsh was married in Germany and has a family of two sons and three daughters.

This town was organized in 1858, under the name of Greenfield. In 1864 the name was changed to Grant. It comprises township 30, range 21. The soil is a sand and clay loam, with clay gravel subsoil. The surface varies from undulating to rolling, and was originally well timbered with white, black and burr oak. White Bear lake lies partly within the township, occupying about 1,200 acres. Other and smaller lakes are Pine, Stone Quarry, Deep, Ben's, and Long.

The first officers of the town were: Moderator, Joseph Crane; clerk, Jesse H. Soule; supervisors, Albion Masterman, James Rutherford and Joseph Crane. The first settlers were Albion Masterman and William Rutherford, in 1849. Soon after came James Rutherford, Thomas Ramsdell and George Bennett. Albion Masterman built the first house, and his wife, formerly Eliza Middleton, was the first woman in the settlement. The first public highway through the town was the Rum river road. Thefirst child born was Castinea O. Rutherford. The first death was that of James, son of James Rutherford. The first school house was built in section 1, in 1856. Joseph Crane taught the first school. The first sermon was preached by Rev. —— Hamlin, a Free Will Baptist, but the first religious organization was that of the German Protestant Lutheran. Rev. Siegrist was the first pastor. The church building is in section 2, and was built in 1872. The Spiritualists had an organization in 1868, of which Jesse H. Soule was president, and George Walker secretary. Summer meetings were held, and lecturers from abroad invited to address them.

Was platted in September, 1882, on the line of the Stillwater & White Bear railroad, on the shore of White Bear lake; Augustus K. and Carrie Barnum, proprietors; Simon & Morton, surveyors.

Was platted in 1854; proprietors, K. Starkey and Chas. G. Pettys; surveyor, Daniel S. Turpen. It is located in the southwest quarter of section 27.

Was platted in July, 1883; proprietors, Mahtomedi Assembly; surveyors, Hone & Holland. White Bear lake has become a noted resort for tourists and pleasure parties. A steamboat plies regularly upon its waters during the open months, and the Stillwater & White Bear, the St. Paul & Duluth and the Wisconsin Central railroads render it easy of access. It is made attractive by the beauty of its scenery, the clearness and brightness of its waters and its convenient distance from St. Paul, Minneapolis and Stillwater. The Mahtomedi Association have erected here a fine hotel, assembly houses and numerous cottages for the accommodation of summer visitors. Summer schools are held here under the auspices of the Chautauqua Association. The grounds are also adapted to camp meetings, conventions and military parades.

Was platted in 1883, by the Park Association; Elmer & Newell, surveyors. It is located on White Bear lake, on the line of the Stillwater & White Bear railroad.

William Elliottwas born in Ireland in 1825. His parents removed to New Brunswick in 1830, whence he came to Minnesota in 1850, and located in Grant in 1862, devoting himself to farming. He had been a pilot and a lumberman. His second wife was Mary Crawford. They have eight children.

Frederick Lambwas born in Prussia in 1825; served three years in the Prussian Army, traveled some time for a manufacturing firm in Germany through Switzerland, France, England, and Italy; came to America in 1848, and to Stillwater in 1849. For some time he was unsettled as to his location, but in 1852 made his home in Stillwater, where he remained until 1866, when he located in Grant. He was married in 1851 to Lena Laroche. A son and a daughter lost their lives by accident. Three daughters are living.

James Rutherfordwas born in the parish of Elsdon, Northumberland county, England, in 1812. In 1818 he came with his parents to America. In 1849 he came to the valley of the St. Croix and located in what is now the town of Grant. He built a flour mill on Brown's creek. He engaged in farming and also in lumbering for many years. He was married to Elisabeth Smith in 1836. He died at his residence Sept. 14, 1874. Four children survive him.

Jesse H. Soulehas been a prominent and enterprising citizen of Grant since 1854. He was born at Avon, Franklin county, Maine, in 1823. Mr. Soule came to Grant when there were but six families in the town, and pre-empted one hundred and fifty acres of land, where he made him a pleasant and attractive home. He has held many positions of trust, having been elected town clerk, which office he held twenty-two years, justice of the peace, assessor, superintendent of schools and county commissioner. He represented his district in the house of the sixth state legislature in 1864. Mr. Soule has been married three times. His first wife left one daughter, his second wife two sons, twins, Osmar and Winfield; his third wife, who still lives, Rachel Michener, to whom he was married in 1871, has three children, Alice, Olive and Reuel.

Albion Masterman and William Rutherford, the first settlers of Grant township, are mentioned among the biographies of the chapter on Stillwater.

This town includes the south half of fractional township 29, range 20, and comprises about 65,920 acres. The surface is quite diversified, ranging from undulating prairie land to hills. Before settlement there were prairies and oak openings. The soil is productive and is well cultivated.

The first settlers were French, who located along the lake shore in 1838-39. These early settlers raised the first crops, but were gardeners rather than farmers, and were transient. The first American settler was Henry W. Crosby, who came in 1842, and located on the site of the present village of Lakeland. George Clark, a young man, came with him and made a claim near the ferry, but was drowned not long afterward. This was the first death in the town of which we have any mention. The first marriage was that of Wm. Oliver and Mrs. Mary Davis, a sister of Joseph Haskell, in 1848; the next was that of A. B. Green to Eliza M. Oliver, Oct. 1, 1851.

A ferry was established in 1848. Moses Perrin built a hotel and saw mill the ensuing year, and platted the village of Lakeland. Another mill was built by Ballard & Reynolds. In 1857 Stearns, Watson & Co. built an extensive saw mill at a cost of $45,000. This mill changed hands many times, finally passing into the hands of C. N. Nelson, who enlarged it to a capacity of 20,000,000 feet per annum, a $50,000 investment. The St. Paul & Milwaukee railroad traverses this town near and parallel to the lake shore. The town contributed $5,000 in ten per cent bonds to the building of the road, for which they received an equal amount of railroad stock. The St. Paul & Omaha railroad crosses the lake and a part of the northeastern part of the township of Lakeland. The railroad bridge has its western terminus in Lakeland, a short distance above the village. Lakeland was organized as a town Oct. 20, 1858. The first board of supervisors consisted of Charles A. Oliver, Elias Megean and A. D. Kingsley.

Situated on the lake shore, nearly opposite Hudson, Wisconsin, was platted in 1849 by Moses Perrin. A school was taught in 1852 by Harriet E. Newell. A post office was established in 1854; Freeman C. Tyler was the first postmaster. Lakeland has thefollowing benevolent and social societies: Masons, Golden Rule Lodge, No. 65, organized in 1867; Temple of Honor, organized 1877; the Independent Order of Good Templars, No. 200, organized in 1876. It has a Baptist and Congregational church.

Henry W. Crosbywas born in Albany, New York, in 1819. He spent his youth in Buffalo. In 1840 he came to St. Croix Falls, and in 1842 to the banks of Lake St. Croix, and located on the site of the village of Lakeland where he resided ten years. During the ensuing thirteen years he followed his trade as machinist at various places, besides serving three years as a volunteer in the Eighth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. He was married in Cottage Grove in 1845, to Hannah Waterhouse. He has four sons.

Reuben H. Sanderson.—Mr. Sanderson was born in Genesee county, New York, in 1831. He received a common school education and studied one year in Brockport Collegiate Institute. He came to Lakeland in 1855, and followed the business of a house carpenter. Mr. Sanderson has filled many town offices, and was a member of the Democratic wing of the state constitutional convention in 1857.

Newton McKusick, the oldest son of John McKusick, was born in Stillwater in 1850. He received a good education in the city schools, completed at the Minnesota State University, and located on a farm in Lakeland in 1871. He was married to Jennie L. Green, of Stillwater, June 6, 1872. His home and farm display taste and thrift worthy of commendation.

Capt. John Oliver.—John Oliver was born March 9, 1796, at Land's End, England. He was bred to a seafaring life, and the early part of his life was well spiced with adventure. He escaped from the British service to enter the American, but was twice captured, and after the second capture suffered a rigorous imprisonment at Dartmoor, England. At the close of the war he came to the United States and became a Boston harbor pilot, a responsible calling which he followed for thirty-three years. He came to the West in 1848, and settled in Lakeland. In 1819 he was married to Sarah Spear, whose father was one of the celebrated Boston Tea Party in 1774. Capt. Oliver, after his removal to Lakeland, busied himself in farming. He died on the homestead in 1869, leaving a widow who survived until 1883, and five sons, two having died prior to 1869. Of his seven sons,six were in the Union Army in Minnesota regiments during the Rebellion: Wm. H., Thomas E., Charles A., George A., Walter J., and Howard F. Walter J. died in the army.

Asa Barlow Green.—The name of Capt. Green was once familiar on the St. Croix. He was a man of varied talents and striking characteristics, who, in a public life extending over a period of many years, figured as a lawyer, sheriff, probate judge, steamboat captain, minister, chaplain, and missionary. He was born at Warren, Vermont, 1826, and during his minority lived at home. He had a common school education, and by his own efforts attained a knowledge of the law and was admitted to practice in Minnesota and Wisconsin in 1858. He served as sheriff in Washington county, held the office of probate judge, and some minor offices. He commanded the steamer Equator in 1859, when that boat was wrecked on Lake St. Croix. He was part owner of the boat. In 1860 he was ordained as a minister of the Calvinist Baptist church. In 1862 he entered the United States service as chaplain of the Third Wisconsin Volunteers, and served three years, after which he devoted himself to ministerial and missionary labors. He died in Whitewater, Wisconsin.

L. A. Huntoonlocated in Lakeland in 1857, and engaged in mercantile pursuits. He served as town clerk and postmaster, filling the latter position fifteen years. He represented his district in the house of the seventh and nineteenth legislatures. He died suddenly at his home in 1879, leaving a wife and three children. His oldest son, Samuel, a promising young man, principal of the Hammond high school, and fitting himself for the medical college, was drowned Oct. 9, 1872, in Cutter's lake, at the age of twenty-one. He was much esteemed and lamented.

The town of Marine includes townships 31 and 32, range 20, and fractional townships 31 and 32, range 19. The surface is somewhat rolling, and before settlement was timbered chiefly with hardwood. It is dotted with beautiful lakes, some of which have abrupt and hilly shores. The more noted of these lakes are Big, Carnelian, Square, Bony, Terrapin, Long, Fish, and Hay.

Next to St. Croix Falls, Marine contains the earliest settlement in the valley. In September, 1838, Lewis Judd and David Hone were deputized by a company of men residing in Marine, Illinois,to visit the Northwest and examine the region recently secured by treaty from the Chippewas, and to return the same year and report upon its advantages of climate, soil and other resources. They were authorized also to locate a claim for a future settlement, if they found one entirely suitable. They embarked on the steamer Ariel at St. Louis, September 10th, and were twenty-five days reaching the head of Lake St. Croix, whence they proceeded in a flatboat propelled by poles up the St. Croix as far as the falls, and thence to the mouth of Kettle river. Returning by birch canoes, they stopped at the site of the present village of Marine, and there made a mill claim. They then returned to Marine, Illinois, where they arrived November 10th, and reported favorably on the location chosen.

During the following winter a verbal agreement was made by thirteen persons, all of Marine settlement, to start in the spring and build a saw mill on the distant St. Croix. On April 27th this company left St. Louis on the steamer Fayette for the new settlement, which they reached on the thirteenth of May. The Fayette was chartered expressly for this voyage. They took with them mill irons, farming tools, household goods, three yoke of oxen, and cows.

The members of the party were Lewis, George and Albert Judd, David Hone, Orange Walker, Asa S. and Madison Parker, Samuel Burkelo, Wm. B. Dibble, Dr. Lucius Green, Joseph Cottrell, and Hiram Berkey. When they landed they found Jeremiah Russell and Levi W. Stratton in possession of the claim, they having taken possession during the preceding winter. These men demanded and received three hundred dollars for relinquishing the claim to its rightful owners.

The colonists set to work immediately to build a log cabin as a temporary shelter, which being completed, they commenced the mill, and worked with such energy that it was finished in ninety days. The first wheel used was a flutter wheel, which, not proving satisfactory, was replaced by an overshot with buckets. This mill sawed the first lumber in the St. Croix valley.

Orange Walker was the first clerk and chieftain of the concern, and when anything was wanted a call of the company would be made, and the members assembled. No article of agreement existed. Only one book was kept for a series of years—a unique affair, no doubt. The first installment was $200;second, $75; third, $50; all within two years, after which the company became self sustaining. No partner forfeited his stock. One by one the partners sold out their interest, until Orange Walker and G. B. Judd were the owners. The company was first known as the Marine Lumber Company. In 1850 the name was changed to Judd, Walker & Co., the firm consisting then of the Judd brothers, Orange Walker, Samuel Burkelo, Asa Parker, and H. Berkey. In 1863, when Orange Walker was sole owner, he associated with him Samuel Judd and W. H. Veazie, and the firm name has since been Walker, Judd & Veazie.

The colonists raised, during the first year, corn, potatoes and garden vegetables. They found the Indians peaceably inclined toward the settlers, though the Chippewas and Sioux kept up a constant warfare with each other. During the winter of 1839-40 four members of the company, Parker, Berkey, Green and Dibble, were sent to the mouth of Kettle river to cut logs. Marine was organized as a town in 1858, with the following supervisors: J. R. M. Gaskell; John E. Mower and B. F. Allen.

The settlement gradually grew into the village of Marine Mills, which was not platted, however, until 1853, nor incorporated until 1875. The following was the first board of officers: President, Orange Walker; councilmen, J. R. M. Gaskell, Ola Westergreen and Asa S. Parker. Until 1842 the mail was received from Ft. Snelling by private conveyance, when a monthly mail service was established from Point Douglas, and Samuel Burkelo was appointed postmaster.

The first jury trial in the St. Croix valley was held at Marine, in 1840, before Joseph R. Brown, justice of the peace. The case was that of Philander Prescott against Chas. D. Foote, plaintiff charging defendant with jumping a claim. The jury consisted of Samuel Burkelo, Orange Walker, H. Berkey, David Hone. J. Haskell, J. S. Norris, A. McHattie, A. Mackey, H. Sweezy, Francis Nason, and two others. The claim in dispute was located near Prescott. The court adjourned to allow the jury to visit Prescott to ascertain if the claim had been made in accordance with custom. On viewing the premises the jury failed to agree, and the matter was compromised by Prescott allowing Foote eighty acres of the claim.

The first white child born in Marine was Sarah Anna Waterman, in 1844. Dr. Wright, the first physician, located in Marine in 1849. The first marriage was that of Wm. B. Dibble to Eliza McCauslin, in 1842. The first death was that of a child of W. H. Nobles, in 1843. The first sermon preached was by Rev. J. Hurlburt, a Methodist missionary, Jan. 1, 1844. The first school was taught by Sarah Judd, in 1849. The Swedish Evangelical Lutherans built the first church in the town of Marine, in section 27, in 1856, a log structure afterward used as a school, its place being supplied by a new structure in section 14 in 1858. In 1874 a large church 50 × 80 feet, ground plan, and with steeple 80 feet high, succeeded the second structure. A fine parsonage was attached. This church was blown down by a cyclone in 1884, but was rebuilt.

The Swedish Methodists built a church on the south side of Long lake in 1856; C. P. Agrelius, pastor. The Congregationalists commenced the first church and perfected the first organization in Marine village, in 1857. The church was completed and dedicated in 1859. Rev Geo. Spaulding was the first pastor. The second Congregational church was erected in 1878, in section 21. The Swedish Lutherans have a church and congregation in the village of Marine. The church was built in 1875. Rev. L. O. Lindh was the first pastor. Oakland Cemetery Association was organized in 1872 and the cemetery located near Marine village.

A passable road was opened from Stillwater to Marine in 1841. The government road from Point Douglas to Superior was built through Marine in 1852-3. The company built the first frame dwelling, on a point above the mill, in 1848. The mill company built a frame store in the same year. This building was burned in 1863; loss, $4,000. The only hotel until 1850 was a log building, when the Marine store was built. The Lightner House was built in 1857, the St. Croix House in 1858. The Marine flour mill was built in 1856 by Gaskell & Co. The first flour was manufactured in 1857. The mill is four stories high and is furnished with a turbine wheel. The water is brought a distance of 1,000 feet by an elevated race. The Arcola saw mills were built in the winter of 1846-7, by Martin Mower, David B. Loomis, Joseph Brewster and W. H. C. Folsom. They were locatedon the river shore three miles below Marine Mills. The motive power is an overshot wheel, propelled by water from two large springs. The mill is now the property of Martin Mower. The losses by fire in Marine have been:


Back to IndexNext