The Marine saw mill, Sept. 16, 1863, loss $6,000; Judd & Gaskell's store, Jan. 9, 1864, loss $4,000; Samuel B. Judd's dwelling, April, 1884, loss $12,000;W. H. Veazie's dwelling, April, 1885, loss $6,000.
The Marine saw mill, Sept. 16, 1863, loss $6,000; Judd & Gaskell's store, Jan. 9, 1864, loss $4,000; Samuel B. Judd's dwelling, April, 1884, loss $12,000;
W. H. Veazie's dwelling, April, 1885, loss $6,000.
A heavy financial failure occurred in the winter of 1885-6. The firm of Walker, Judd & Veazio were compelled to make an assignment; indebtedness, $250,000. In the ensuing May, by order of the court, the mill property with its assets passed into the hands of a newly constituted organization, styled the Marine Lumber Company. This company was composed of the creditors of Judd, Walker & Veazie; B. C. Keater, president; Ed. St. John, superintendent; capital stock, $750,000. In 1888 the property passed into the hands of Anderson & O'Brien.
Was platted in 1856, in section 30, township 32, range 19, by B. F. and Mary Jane Otis and John Columbus; W. P. Payte, surveyor. James Russell, James Cilley and Frank Register in 1857 built a steam saw mill. James Russell built a three story hotel. A saloon and other buildings were erected, but the village did not prosper, and the site is now abandoned. There are several ancient mounds in the town site which have been utilized to some extent as burial mounds. One in the rear of the school house contains the remains of Caroline Reid, a sister of Mrs. B. F. Otis, and Hiram Otis, a son of the latter. A mound on the farm of John Copas contains the remains of John Columbus, buried there at his own request with the body of his favorite dog. A post office was established at Scandia, in the northern part of Marine, in 1878; John M. Johnson, postmaster. The upper part of the town of Marine was at one time organized as a town called Vasa, but has since been merged in Marine.
Orange Walkerwas born at St. Albans, Vermont, Sept. 1, 1801. His ancestors were of English stock and Revolutionary fame. He received a good common school education, and at the age of sixteen entered as an apprentice in a tanner and currier's establishment in St. Albans. After learning the trade he worked at it some time in Milton, Vermont. In 1834 he came West,and located at Jacksonville, Illinois, where he worked at his trade and also engaged in farming until 1839, when he became a member of the Marine Lumber Company, and came with them to Marine, where he resided a period of forty-eight years. During that time he has been the most active and influential man in the company, having been in almost constant service as its president or principal agent. Mr. Walker was well known to the earlier dwellers in the St. Croix valley as a hale, hearty, well informed man, prompt in fulfilling his engagements, and liberal in everything that pertains to the general good. Mr. Walker filled many public positions. He was county commissioner ten years, postmaster twenty-five years, and represented his district in the house of the Second Minnesota legislature in 1859-60. He was married Sept. 16, 1848, to Mrs. Georgiana Lockwood, of Prescott, formerly Miss Barton, a native of Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Walker died Oct. 9, 1885. Mr. Walker died Aug. 17, 1897.
Lewis Walker, brother of Orange Walker, was born in St. Albans, Vermont, in 1811; in early life removed to Marine, Illinois, and in 1853 came to Marine Mills, Minnesota. He spent many years at the St. Croix upper boom, and the last fifteen years of his life he lived in Osceola. He was a quiet, peaceable citizen, exemplary in his habits and respected by all his acquaintances. He died in Osceola in 1882. Mr. Walker was married in 1853 to Calphrunia White, who, with two daughters, survives him. The oldest daughter, Ella, has been for many years a teacher in the Minneapolis and St. Paul and other schools. Emma is the wife of Henry Fifield, a printer and journalist of Northern Michigan.
Samuel Burkelowas born in Kent county, Delaware, March 31, 1800. He came to Marine in 1839, being one of the thirteen constituting the Marine Lumber Company. He remained with the company ten years, removed to Stillwater and engaged in the mercantile business. In 1858 he removed to a farm in Lakeland, where he died in 1874. He was one of the commissioners appointed in 1840 to organize St. Croix county, and represented his district in the council of the first and second territorial legislatures. He was married Dec. 7, 1844, to Susan McCauslin, at Point Douglas. Four children survive him.
Asa S. Parkerwas born in Windsor county, Vermont, July11, 1812. His youth was spent in Vermont, New York and Illinois. He was by trade a brickmaker. He joined the Marine Company and came to Marine in 1839. He continued a member of the company until 1858, since which time he has been engaged in farming and selling goods at Marine. Mr. Parker is a quiet, unobtrusive gentleman, well posted in general matters. He was a very useful member of the company. He was eight years county commissioner, and has filled responsible town and county positions. He was married in 1859 to Isabella Thompson. Archie I., an only son, living with his parents, was married to Lena Smith in 1883.
Hiram Berkeywas born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, Oct. 22, 1813. He came to St. Louis, Missouri, in 1819, but made Collinsville, Illinois, his home, and engaged in farming. He came to Marine Mills in 1839, and was one of the original company that founded Marine. He sold his interest in 1860, since which time he has been engaged in hotel keeping and farming. He served as county commissioner four years, and filled local offices. He was married to Jennie McCarty, of Pennsylvania, Oct. 23, 1860. They have one son, John R.
Geo. B. Juddwas born in Farmington, Connecticut, Oct. 19, 1799. In 1832 he came to Illinois and engaged in farming and merchandising. In 1839 he became a member of the Marine Company, and came up on the Fayette, but did not make his residence there until 1862. He retained his interest in the company until about 1863. He removed to St. Louis in 1844, and became a member of the enterprising commission firm of Judd & Hammond. After his removal to Marine he engaged in the mercantile and lumbering business. Mr. Judd died at his home in Marine in 1872.
James Halewas born in 1822, in Putnam county, Indiana; lived five years in Illinois, and came to Marine Mills in 1844, where he engaged in farming. He was married to Mary Finnegan in 1855. Mr. Hale died Feb. 9, 1888.
John Holtwas born in Jefferson county, Kentucky, in 1818. He came to Marine in 1846. In 1852 he was married to Mary Jane Ward, and removed to Stillwater, where for two years he kept the Minnesota House, at the southwest corner of Main and Chestnut streets. Returning to Marine in 1853 he followed lumbering and farming many years. During the latter portionof his life he was afflicted with partial blindness. He died Jan. 12, 1874, leaving two children.
George Holt, brother to John Holt, was born in Kentucky in 1822, where he spent his early life. After spending a year at Prairie du Chien, in 1846 he came to Marine and obtained employment with the Marine Company. In 1850 he removed to Stillwater, and engaged in the livery stable and hotel business until 1853, when he returned with his brother to Marine. He claims to have carried, in 1851, the first leathern mail pouch from Stillwater to Taylor's Falls. During the Rebellion he served one year in Company G, Fourth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. While residing in Marine he has been engaged chiefly in farming, rafting and lumbering. In 1851 he was married to Melinda Ward. They have five children.
William Townwas born in Rome, N. Y., 1814. In 1836 he removed to Warren county, Illinois, and in 1838 he was married to Louisa Robinson. He came to Marine in 1846; removed to St. Croix Falls in 1847; to Osceola Prairie in 1852, and to Taylor's Falls in 1860, where he died in 1870. His first wife died at Osceola in 1855, leaving three daughters, one the wife of W. J. Seavey, of Taylor's Falls, one the first wife of Henry Mallen, of Farmington, Wisconsin, and one the wife of E. Hines Bates, of Taylor's Falls. Mr. Town was married in 1857 to Mrs. Mary Collins, formerly Mary Talboys. A daughter of Mrs. Town, by her first husband, is the wife of N. P. Bailey, of Taylor's Falls. Mr. Town's aged mother came to Osceola Prairie in 1856, and died in June, 1886, aged ninety-seven years. Mrs. Abbott, of Moorhead, and Mrs. Richmond, of Farmington, are her daughters.
Matthias Welshancewas born in 1818, in Pennsylvania, where he lived during his minority and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1843 he removed to Galena, Illinois, in 1847 to St. Croix Falls and in 1848 to Marine Mills, where he worked at his trade until 1856. From that time until his death, May 19, 1886, he was engaged in hotel keeping. He was for nine years keeper of the Marine Hotel and has since been proprietor of the St. Croix House. He was married Nov. 12, 1848, to Mary J. Hooper. They have five children living. One daughter, Mrs. Tolan, met a tragic death at the hands of an insane husband, in 1881. Mr. Welshance died in 1886.
Benjamin T. Otiswas born in Fairfield, Maine, in 1816. He came to St. Croix Falls in 1841, and engaged in lumbering. In 1846 he located on what is known as Colby Flat, on the site of Taylor's Falls, and improved a farm. In 1849 he removed to Marine. His first wife died suddenly at Marine. He was married to Mrs. Church, of Stillwater, in 1859. Henry F., a son by his first wife, enlisted in 1862, in the Seventh Minnesota Volunteers, was wounded in 1864, and honorably discharged.
William Clarkwas born in New Brunswick, July, 1815. He came to Marine Mills in 1848, and since has followed lumbering. He married Elisa Jane Nelson in 1861. Mrs. Clark died in 1879, leaving two daughters.
James R. Meredithwas born Aug. 22, 1812, in White county, Illinois, where he lived until eighteen years of age, when he removed to Galena, where he spent five years in mining. He went thence to Burlington, Iowa, and in 1849 located in Marine, and was employed by the Marine Company several years. In 1860 he located upon his present farm. In 1847 he was married to Eleanor Freeman. They have three children living.
John D. and Thomas E. Ward. The Ward brothers are natives of Massachusetts. They came to the St. Croix valley with their brothers-in-law, John and George Holt. They have engaged chiefly in steamboating and river business.
Samuel Judd, son of Lewis Judd, was born in Illinois in 1840. He graduated at McKendrie College, Lebanon, Illinois, and came to Marine in 1863, and became a member of the firm of Walker, Judd & Veazie. In 1874 he was married to Amelia D. Flaherty, at St. Louis. Their children are Orange W. and Lucille M. In 1886 he changed his residence to St. Paul.
Frederic W. Lammerswas born in Germany in 1829. He came to America in 1843, locating first at St. Louis, where he remained two years. In 1845 he removed to the St. Croix valley, and for several years engaged in lumbering. In 1852 he settled on a farm in Taylor's Falls, and was married to Helen C. Nelson, of Marine. In 1865 he sold his farm and removed to Big Lake Marine. Mr. Lammers has been a public spirited and excellent citizen. His family consisted of fifteen children; of these thirteen are living.
James R. M. Gaskillwas born in Madison county, Illinois, in 1820; graduated from McKendrie College in 1843; graduated fromthe medical department of the Missouri State University in 1854; practiced medicine a short time at Centralia, Illinois, and came to Marine in 1855, where he practiced medicine and interested himself in milling, lumbering and merchandise. He represented his district in the house of the first legislature of Minnesota, 1857-58, and of the fourteenth and fifteenth, 1872-73. He served during the Rebellion as surgeon of the Forty-fifth Illinois Volunteers. He was for many years a trustee of the Minnesota State Prison. In 1861 he was married to Clara E. Hughes. They have one son and one daughter.
The town of Newport includes fractional townships 27 and 28, range 22, and part of sections 34, 35 and 36, in township 29, range 22: It was organized as a town Oct. 20, 1858. The first supervisors were William Fowler, E. B. Schofield and John Willoughby. The surface is mostly prairie. This town has some points of great historic interest. Gray Cloud island, in the southern part, in the Mississippi river, separated from the mainland by a slough, is the place where, according to some historians, Le Sueur planted a French fort in 1695. It was styled the "Isle Pelee," and was described as a beautiful "Prairie Island."
The description of the island tallies precisely with that of Gray Cloud, and is applicable to none of the other conjectured localities. It is mentioned by many antiquarian writers as a place of rendezvous for French traders during the French domination in this part of the continent. Gray Cloud has been known as a trading post for the last hundred years, and has the credit of being the first white settlement in Washington county, and probably in Minnesota. Here came Joseph R. Brown in 1838, and here he married the daughter of Dickson, the trader. Hazen Mooers, one of the commissioners of St. Croix county in 1840, Joseph Boucher and others were living at Gray Cloud when the Methodist mission was established at Kaposia in 1836. Gray Cloud is the translation of the Indian name of the island. It was also borne by an Indian maiden, who became the wife of Hazen Mooers, who seems to have been a man of excellent repute and considerable influence. The Browns cherished for him a very warm feeling of regard.
Red Rock, another historic locality, derives its name from a painted rock which seems to have been held in great reverenceby the Sioux Indians. According to Rev. Chauncey Hobart, a veteran pioneer and preacher still living in Minnesota, it was the custom among the Sioux to worship the boulders that lie scattered along the hills and valleys. When a Dakotah was in danger, it was his custom to clear a spot from grass and brush, roll a boulder upon it, paint it, deck it with feathers and flowers, and pray to it for needed help.
The peculiarity of the painted boulder from which Red Rock took its name is that it was a shrine, to which from generation to generation pilgrimages were made, and offerings and sacrifices presented. Its Indian name was "Eyah Shah," or "Red Rock." The stone is not naturally red, but painted with vermillion, or, as some say, with the blood of slaughtered victims. The Indians call the stone also "Waukan," or "mystery." It lies on a weathered stratum of limestone, and seems to be a fragment from some distant granite ledge. The Dakotahs say it walked or rolled to its present position, and they point to the path over which it traveled. They visited it occasionally every year until 1862, each time painting it and bringing offerings. It is painted in stripes, twelve in number, two inches wide and from two to six inches apart. The north end has a rudely drawn picture of the sun, and a rude face with fifteen rays.
Red Rock is noted as the site of a mission planted here in 1837 by the Methodist Episcopal church, by Alfred Brunson, a distinguished pioneer preacher and missionary. The mission was originally established at Kaposia, on the western bank of the river, in 1837, but removed by Alfred Brunson in the same year to Red Rock. Rev. B. T. Kavanaugh, of this mission, and afterward a bishop of the Methodist Episcopal church South, superintended the erection of the first buildings. Taylor F. Randolph and wife were teachers here, as assistants in the Indian school, and also in a school of mixed bloods and whites. B. T. Kavanaugh was postmaster in 1841. John Holton was mission farmer in 1841, under a commission from Maj. Taliaferro, of Fort Snelling. The mission was discontinued in 1842. Mr. Randolph and wife made them a home in the town of Afton, where both died in 1844.
The first marriage was that of John A. Ford to Mary Holton, daughter of John Holton, in 1843. The first birth was that of Franklin C. Ford, September, 1844. The first death was that of achild of Rev. B. T. Kavanaugh. The village of Newport was platted in 1857. W. R. Brown's addition was platted in 1874. A steam saw mill was built in 1857 by E. M. Shelton & Brothers. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1874. A flour mill was built in its place by Joseph Irish. The first Baptist church was organized Jan. 18, 1858. The first commodious house of worship was built in 1878. The Red Rock Camp Meeting Association was organized in 1869. A plat of ten acres, beautifully situated in a natural grove near the village, and on the line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, was donated to the association by John Holton. These grounds have been improved, and adorned with tasteful cottages. The camp meetings held during the summer are largely attended.
Was platted in June, 1856, by J. R. Brown and Truman W. Smith, and surveyed by J. Donald McCullom.
Was platted May 2, 1857, by Joseph H. Huganin, R. C. Knox, Wm. and James Fowler, and surveyed by B. Densmore.
John Holtoncame to Red Rock in 1831, with the Methodist missionaries; served some years as Indian farmer under Maj. Taliaferro, Indian agent, and afterward settled on a farm just above the mission ground. He donated ten acres of this farm to the Methodists for camp meeting grounds. Mr. Holton died in 1884, leaving two children, Mrs. Ford and Mrs. Winters.
John A. Fordwas born in Utica, New York, in 1811. He learned the trade of edge tool and rifle making, and in 1834 came West with his father, locating a land claim where Chicago now stands. In 1841 the son came to Red Rock and erected a store building in which he sold goods for twelve years. Subsequently he engaged in farming. With the exception of the traders Mr. Ford was the first merchant in Washington county. Mr. Ford was a representative in the second territorial legislature. He was married to May Holton in 1843. Their children are Franklin and Willis. Franklin, the eldest son, was married to Addie Witherspoon in 1870, and resides in Newport.
Daniel Hopkins, a native of New Hampshire, came West at an early age. He was a gunsmith by trade. He located inGreen Bay in 1836, and removed to Prairie du Chien in 1838, where he built a stone shop with a large double window over his workbench and overlooking a spot where he kept his money buried. A large mullein growing over it sufficiently indicated that his treasure was still undisturbed. Growing somewhat doubtful of the security of his hoard, he removed and placed a thousand dollars in a stone quarry as a safer place of deposit. Unexpectedly to him, the quarry was reopened and a well placed blast scattered the old gentleman's treasure to the four winds. He recovered but a portion of it. In 1844 he left Prairie du Chien and came to Red Rock. He was three years associated with John A. Ford in selling goods, after which, in 1848, he removed to St. Paul, where he opened a store. He died in 1852, aged sixty-five years.
William R. Brownwas born in Urbana, Ohio, in 1816. He spent his boyhood at home on a farm and served as an apprentice to a carpenter in Mt. Carmel, Illinois. In April, 1848, he came to Red Rock mission in company with Rev. B. T. Kavanaugh, Charles Cavalier and Julia Bosnell. He lived upon a farm until 1854, when he sold out and removed to St. Paul, where he dealt in real estate. During the Rebellion he served three years in Company C, Sixth Minnesota Volunteers. He was married in 1841 to Martha Neuman. He died Nov. 25, 1874.
William Fowlersettled in Newport in 1852 and has become a prominent farmer and successful stockman. His farm, which originally cost him $2,500, he sold in 1887 for $80,000. He was for two years president of the Minnesota Agricultural Society, and five years of the Dairymen's Association. He was a member of the house of representatives in 1872. During the war he served as lieutenant in the Eighth Minnesota Volunteers.
Oakdale includes township 29, range 21. Originally it was covered with white, black and burr oak timber; the surface is rolling, and the soil well adapted to the cultivation of wheat. It is well watered and has numerous lakes, among which Lake Elmo is favorably known as a summer resort.
Oakdale was organized as a town November, 1858. The first supervisors were E. C. Gray, John Bershen and E. L. Morse. The clerk was W. Armstrong.
The first settler was B. B. Cyphers, who kept a hotel or stopping place on Sun Fish lake in 1848. The year following John Morgan built a more commodious house a mile and a half west on the stage road, and this was afterward known as the "Half-way House," it being nearly midway between St. Paul and Stillwater. At this well known station the pioneer stages of Willoughby & Powers changed horses at noon, and the passengers took dinner. In 1855 the property passed into the hands of E. C. Gray. The Malones, Lohmans, Grays, Day, Stevens, and Gardiner located here in the '50s.
The first post office established was in 1857, in the south part of the town, in section 35. Arthur Stephens was for ten years postmaster. The office was called Oakdale, and was discontinued and another established at the Half-way House, and called Lohmanville post office. In 1873 it was transferred to the Oakdale station on the railroad. It was discontinued in 1876, and re-established at Bass Lake station, where it has since remained but is now known as the Lake Elmo post office.
The St. Paul & Stillwater railroad passes through this town from east to west. It has three stations, Lake Elmo, Oakdale and Midvale.
The churches of Oakdale are the St. John's Lutheran and the Church of the Holy Angels. These churches have fine buildings and good congregations. The buildings are located on the line of the old stage road, and have spacious burial grounds attached.
Lake Elmo is the only village in the town. It is handsomely located on Lake Elmo. The company that platted the village has expended over $65,000 on improvements. The hotel is an elegant and spacious building, and a favorite resort for summer tourists. The lake was originally known as Bass lake, and the station was known as Bass Lake station. In 1879 the lake and station were rechristened Elmo, a name certainly more musical and charming than the original, and inferior only to the aboriginal name, which ought to have been retained.
E. C. Graycame originally from Pennsylvania, and located in Oakdale in 1855, having purchased the Half-way House of John Morgan. He died in 1874, leaving a large family of children. Two of his sons, M. P. and W. H., remain on the family homestead. Others are in St. Paul. All are known as men of good business ability.
Arthur Stephenswas born in Scotland in 1830. He came to America in 1839, lived awhile in Illinois, learned the trade of a mason and plasterer, came to St. Paul in 1849, worked at his trade until 1854, when he removed to Oakdale, where, with the exception of six years' residence at Stillwater, he has since lived. Mr. Stephens served as postmaster ten years, as county commissioner three years, and has filled town offices. He was married to Marie Payden in 1852. Their children are Harris S., Arthur, Elizabeth and Emma.
The town comprises township 31, range 21. It was organized as a town in 1880. A. J. Soule was the first moderator, George Walker the first clerk and treasurer. The eastern and southern portions are diversified, being quite rugged and uneven. The western part is quite level, and was originally timbered with burr oak and poplars. The town abounds with lakes. Bald Eagle lies partly in the town; Oneka; Rice, Egg, Eagle, Horseshoe, and others are within the town. Small springs and rivulets abound. A tamarack swamp, varying in width from a few rods to a half mile, traverses the town from north to south, forming a natural barrier between the eastern and western divisions. The principal lake is Oneka, located in sections 9 and 16. Rice lake has been celebrated as the resort of Indians from Mendota, who camped here annually to gather wild rice for the St. Paul and Minneapolis markets.
The first settlers were Fayette Tainter and John Chester, young men who came together in 1850 for the purpose of locating claims and baling hay. They carried on a stock farm for five years. The next settlers, Lewis Sempler and his son-in-law, Joseph Freeman, came in 1855. They were followed by Dunn, Barnum, Hatch and Beecroft.
The St. Paul & Duluth railroad passes through the western part of the town, entering in section 31, and leaving in section 5. There is but one station upon the road, Centreville, a thriving little village, having a hotel, store, school house, etc. Its post office was established in 1874.
The first school district was organized in 1867. Ruth Miller taught the first school. The first marriage was that of Joseph Lambert and Mary Courtone. The first child born was Hoyt E., son of O. L. Kinyon, Dec. 27, 1863. The first death was that of Herbert, son of O. L. Kinyon, May 30, 1869.
Located in the northeast quarter of section 8, was platted May, 1847, by Franklin Jones; Chas. B. Lowell, surveyor.
Located on Bald Eagle lake, was platted in 1880, by Chas. P. Hill; Brinckerhoff & Phillips, surveyors.
Daniel Hopkins, Sr., son of Daniel Hopkins, of whom biographical mention is made in the history of Newport, was born in New Hampshire. He came to St. Paul in 1850, and engaged in the mercantile business on Third street until 1852, when he removed to a farm between St. Anthony and St. Paul, and dealt extensively in blooded stock until about 1855-56, when he purchased the farms of Austin and Tainter, on Rice creek near the railroad. His farm consists of about 600 acres. The railroad has a flag station at the farm known as Hopkins station.
Stillwater comprises fractional township 30, range 20, excepting the site of the city of Stillwater. The surface is rolling and the soil good. It is well watered with rivulets and small lakes. The first settlers in the town outside the city limits were the Lymans, consisting of the father (Cornelius) and two sons, C. Storrs and D. P., Charles Macy, W. T. Boutwell, Sebastian Marty, Wm. Rutherford, J. J. McKenzie, Albion Masterman, and Dr. James Carey. The first white child born in the town was Emily S., daughter of C. S. Lyman, in 1846. The first death was that of Betsey, daughter of C. S. Lyman, in 1846. The first marriage was that of Abraham Click and Jane Sample, in 1853. The first school was taught by Cynthia Pond, in 1852. The first road through the town was from Dakota village via Carnelian lake and Marine to St. Croix Falls. Messrs. Rutherford & Booth in 1857 built a flour mill on Brown's creek, which empties into the St. Croix near the head of the lake. The mill was located above McKusick's lake, and has been for some years abandoned. Brown's creek originally passed through sections 18, 19, 20 and 21 to the river, but was turned in 1843 from its natural course, and made to connect McKusick's lake with the St. Croix by a new channel cut through sections 28 and 29, thusgiving to Stillwater its initial advantages as a manufacturing centre. The Washington county poor farm, consisting of 207 acres of improved laud with good buildings and other conveniences, was located in this town in 1858.
Was platted May 27, 1857. It is situated between the city of Stillwater and South Stillwater, with frontage on the lake. The proprietors were John Parker, Wm. Dorr, Gold T. Curtis, Mary Curtis, Olive A. B. Anderson, and Wm. M. McCluer. The surveyor was A. Van Voorhes.
The township of Stillwater was organized April 3, 1860, with the following board of officers: Moderator, Cornelius Lyman; judges of election, H. Packard, W. T. Boutwell, D. P. Lyman; supervisors, C. Storrs Lyman, H. Packard, Henry A. Jackman; clerk, Sylvanus Trask.
David P. Lymanwas born in St. Lawrence county, New York, in 1822. In 1844 he came with his parents to Marine. In 1846 he removed to his present residence in the town of Stillwater. He was married to Anna J. Hannah, at Farmingdale, Illinois, in 1850. They have five children. Mr. Lyman is an upright, reliable citizen, and a consistent member of the Presbyterian church.
Henry A. Jackman, a native of Robbinstown, Maine, was born July 30, 1819. He was married to Sarah Blanchard in 1848. Mr. Jackman, with his family, his father and his wife's parents, came West in 1849 and located in Stillwater. In 1851 he removed to his farm. He has since engaged in farming and lumbering, and has filled several important positions. He served as school trustee for 30 years, as county commissioner 8 years, as warden of state prison 4 years, as state prison inspector 20 years, and was a representative in the territorial legislature of 1856, and the state legislature of 1867. Mr. Jackman's father, a native of Brunswick, Maine, died at his son's residence in Stillwater, April, 1867, aged seventy-four years. He was a man honored for his kindness and sterling integrity. His wife, the mother of Henry A., died in Maine in 1844. Three sons and four daughters survive them. The children of Henry A. Jackman are Mary E. (Mrs. Russell Pease), James E. and Alice (Mrs. Wm. A. Boxwell).
Frederic J. Curtis, a native of Ireland, was born in 1818. Before coming to America he learned the trade of boot and shoe making. He came to America in 1843, and spent two years in New York City working at his trade. He also spent two years in St. Louis and New Orleans. He came to Stillwater in 1848 and settled on his farm in section 9, where he has since lived. He held the office of sheriff two years. He was one of the first police of the city of Stillwater and has been town treasurer and school director. He was married to Bridget Fenton in 1849. Their children are Daniel, Thomas, James, Elisabeth, Mary, Maggie, and Ellen B.
David Coverwas born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, May 22, 1826. In 1844 he came with his parents to St. Louis, Missouri, where he became a river pilot, and engaged in lumbering for eight years, when he came to Stillwater, and for some years gave his attention largely to selling logs and lumber between Stillwater and St. Louis. During the years between 1860 and 1870 his business transactions were heavy, involving hundreds of thousands of dollars annually, and from some injudicious movements, due to lack of experience, resulted in disastrous failure. After his failure he devoted himself to farming and fire insurance business. He was married in 1850 to Elisabeth Harrold. They are the parents of three sons. Mr. Cover was accidentally drowned in Lake St. Croix Sept. 14, 1884. His life was insured for $17,000.
John Parkercame from Vermont to the valley of the St. Croix in 1848, located for a couple of years at St. Croix Falls, and came to Oak Park, town of Stillwater, about 1850. In 1848 Mr. Parker was married to Susan, daughter of David Cover, who bore him three children: Edwin E., the oldest, killed by the explosion of the boilers of the steamer Penn Wright, near Winona; John E., living at home with his mother, and Ella, wife of Henry Pevey, of Stillwater. Mr. Parker was a kind hearted, genial man. He was one of the early river pilots, and came to his death in June, 1867, while in the performance of his duties as a pilot. In handling a line to "snub" a raft, he was caught in its coils and so bruised that he died.
As at present organized, includes township 28, range 21. At the date of its organization, in 1868, it was named Red Rock, andmade to include a little over two sections of fractional township 28, range 22. This fragment contains the famous painted rock, now included in the town of Newport, and from this rock, familiarly called Red Rock, the town received its first name. The first board of town officers consisted of John Colby; moderator; David Little and C. Schmeiding, judges of election; John Colby, John A. Ford, J. J. Miller, supervisors; Ebenezer Ayers, clerk.
The town held the name of Red Rock until 1859, when, by notification from the legislature that another town bore the same name, the board changed the name to Woodbury, a name given in honor of Judge Woodbury, of New Hampshire, a particular friend of Mr. Colby, at that time chairman of the board. The fraction containing the painted rock was set off by order of the board of county commissioners, meeting at Stillwater in 1861, and added to Newport. It is said that this act did not meet with the hearty approval of the citizens of the town.
The town was originally timbered with various species of oak. The surface is undulating, and in the western part there are abrupt hills or bluffs. It is a fine agricultural town, well watered with creeks, springs and small lakes.
The first settlers were the McHatties, Middletons, Robert Cummings, John Towner, and Joseph Cooper. The first marriage was that of John McHattie and Jane Middleton, Jan. 15, 1847. The first child born was Sarah Middleton, afterward the wife of Anthony Fritz, of Newport. The first death was that of Sarah Middleton, May 4, 1849. The first traveled road in the town was from Stillwater to St. Paul via Bissell's Mound. The first post office was established in 1850, at Oakdale, in the northern part of the town; G. Hartoung, postmaster. The first school was taught in 1855 by Miss A. F. Colby. The German Methodist church was organized in 1855; Rev. Jacob Young, pastor. The church and parsonage are built of stone. The Salem Evangelical Lutheran church was organized in 1865; Rev. J. W. Huffman, pastor.
Jacob Folstrom.—The history of Jacob Folstrom reads like a romance. He was born in Sweden June 25, 1793, and when he was nine years of age left home as cabin boy on a steamer commanded by his uncle. The steamer was wrecked on the coast of England. He escaped with his uncle to London, and there lost sight of him. What was his uncle's fate he never knew. Heunderstood nothing of the English language, and applied to the Swedish consul for aid. Lord Selkirk was then raising a company of men to go to his settlement on Red river, British America, and Selkirk, who could speak Swedish, spoke kindly to the friendless lad, and offered to take him with him to the New World. He, not knowing what else to do, consented to go. After his arrival he found employment with the Hudson Bay Company for a time, and subsequently came down to the Fort Snelling reservation. When the settlers were driven from the reservation in 1839; he made a farm in what is now Woodbury, Washington county. At Lake Superior, in 1823, he had been married to Margaret Burgo, a woman of fine mind. With her limited educational privileges, very few of any age or race can be found her equal. Mr. and Mrs. Folstrom were both consistent Christians, and members of the Methodist church for many years. He lived a stirring, adventurous life, and, during his service as mail carrier between Prairie du Chien and Fort Snelling, he had many hairbreadth escapes from hostile Indians. He died in July, 1859. His wife survived him till Feb. 6, 1880.
Alexander McHattie.—At the age of sixteen Mr. McHattie left his home and worked as a teamster and farmer for about five years; and in 1833 came from Scotland, his native country, to America. He lived a couple of years in Vermont, a short time in New York, Ohio and Indiana. In 1839 he came to Galena, Illinois, and migrated thence in the same year to St. Croix Falls. He also made a short stay at Gray Cloud island; was in Prescott in 1840; in 1841 made a home in Afton, and in 1845 at Woodbury. He married Margaret Middleton in 1848.
John Mchattie.—John, the oldest brother of Alexander McHattie, came from Scotland to this country in 1833, and settled in Woodbury in 1841. He was married in 1846 to Jane Middleton.
The Middleton Family.—James Middleton, Sr., with his wife, three sons, William, Samuel, and James, and five daughters, came to this country from Ireland. William, the oldest, inspired by filial duty, came first, it being his ambition to secure for his parents a home on American soil. He was not of age when, in 1838, he left Ireland, full of hope and enthusiasm for his project. He found his way to St. Louis in 1842, and came thence with Hungerford & Livingston to St. Croix Falls.He remained with them two years and then, removing further south, made a claim on unsurveyed government land in what is now the town of Woodbury. During the succeeding year, 1845, he and his brother Samuel worked for John McKusick, and by diligence and self denial succeeded in earning enough to pay the passage of his father and his family to the United States, and to bring them to their claim on the prairie. It was a joyful day when the parents arrived, and since then the united family have their home at and near the selected homestead, a model family in their unity of purpose and affectionate regard for each other. William visited California. He died at his home in 1855. Samuel enlisted and did gallant service in the Union Army during the late Civil War as a member of Company E, Tenth Minnesota Volunteers, and died in the hospital at Memphis, Feb. 29, 1865. James, a younger brother, was born in 1833. He made a claim near that of his brother, and is prominent in the community, in which he lives. He was sergeant-at-arms in the legislature, a member of the house in 1876, and served five years in Washington county as county commissioner. Mr. Middleton removed to St. Paul in 1880, where he now resides. The father died in 1854, the mother in 1876.
Newington Gilbertwas born in Onondaga county, New York, Feb. 17, 1815. Mr. Gilbert settled in Woodbury in 1851. In company with Mr. Buswell he built the North Star flouring mill in 1860. He operated this mill eleven years. Mr. Gilbert was a member of the Democratic wing of the constitutional convention in 1857. He was married to Celestia Bangs in 1860. They have two children.
Ebenezer Ayerswas born in Herkimer county, New York. His early life was devoted to hard labor, still such was his zeal for study and the acquisition of general knowledge, that he managed to acquire a very respectable and thorough education. In 1856 he came with his parents to Fort Wayne. He commenced teaching school soon after and taught eight years. In 1844 he removed to Shelby county, Kentucky. He was married in 1846 to Lucy Connelly, of Shelby county. He removed to Buffalo, New York, in 1850, and sold goods until the spring of 1854, when he located in Woodbury and engaged in farming. He was a man of energy, and possessed of great will power. He took a deep interest in town and county affairs, and served as townclerk in Woodbury eleven years. He was a representative in the Minnesota state legislature in 1867 and 1872, and while in that capacity proved himself a ready debater. He had natural ability as an organizer. He was an active member of the Greenback party, and was rigidly opposed to monopolies. He died in 1883.
The organization of the territory of Minnesota in 1849 naturally gave a new impetus to settlement, and marked an era in the progress of the settlements already made. None profited more by the new order of things than did Stillwater. The future metropolis of the St. Croix valley, though yet unorganized even as a village, and governed by town and county law, in 1850 presented a scene of unwonted activity. Out of nearly a hundred arrivals we find the names of John C, Gardiner, Samuel M. Register, H. C. Van Voorhees, John N. Ahl, Ralph Wheeler, Dr. E. G. Pugsley, Dr. Morey, dentist, and Theodore E. Parker, a lawyer. This year was rendered notable by the establishment of a livery stable, by Holcomb & Johnson, a new store by Burkelo & Mower, a bakery by R. Hersey, by the building of the second saw mill by Sawyer & Heaton, by the commencement of Remmick's brewery, by the advent of Antonio Brothers' circus, and the occurrence of a remarkable freshet, on which occasion the steamer Lamartine, taking advantage of the high water, made a pleasure excursion up the river, and over the shallows at the mouth of Apple river and a short distance up that stream. Morton Wilkinson and Michael Ames were amongst the excursionists, and, looking out from the steamboat upon the broad, deep expanse of the swollen river, congratulated their fellow passengers upon the discovery of a hitherto unknown navigable stream, tributary to the majestic St. Croix. The Swiss Bell Ringers were on board, and added greatly to the pleasure of the occasion by their weird and peculiar music. The Lamartine, on returning to Stillwater, foundthe shores and levees submerged, and passing over them landed her passengers directly from the boat upon the floor of the Minnesota House, on the southwest corner of Chestnut and Main. The water was four or five feet deep in the street before the hotel. The streets in the lower part of the city have since been raised several feet, so that a flood of the same dimensions would not overflow them as it did then. There has, however, in the memory of the oldest inhabitant, been no other flood equal to that of 1850.
Allusion has been made in the history of Stillwater town to the diversion of the waters of McKusick's lake by a new outlet to the river. This device, so beneficial to the city of Stillwater in other respects, came near resulting in disaster. The old outlet of the lake had been obstructed by a dam, while the waters were conducted by a new outlet down a deep ravine and confined to their channel by dikes consisting of a mixture of clay, sand and gravel. This extended to within six hundred feet of the mill on the lake shore. On May 14, 1852, during a terrible storm, the dam at the new outlet gave way and a tremendous body of water, carrying with it the debris of dikes and dams, rushed tumultuously down the ravine, covering the low shores of the lake beneath, and depositing a new geological stratum of drift over a surface of at least six acres to an average depth of about ten feet. It was wittily said at the time that such an extraordinary movement in real estate had never before been known; but, although a downward movement, that seemed very much like ruin to all concerned, especially to the mill, the machinery of which was completely buried, it nevertheless heralded a rise in prices. Quagmires were filled, unsightly obstructions buried or swept away and a fine plateau for buildings was formed along the lake.
The dam was replaced and greatly strengthened, and the water was conducted through pipes and hydrants to the city. Occasionally, for years afterward, the diggers of cellars or cisterns in the buried region would unearth interesting antediluvian relics. Three barrels of pork were exhumed from the cellar of McKusick's store, and found in a good state of preservation. Some years later remains of a far more ancient character were also unearthed near the corner of Third and Myrtle streets. The tusk of a mastodon was brought up from a depth of thirty-six feet below the surface.
Stillwater was incorporated as a city in 1854. The following officers were elected on the first Monday in April of that year: Mayor, John McKusiek; recorder, C. D. Gilfillan; treasurer, W. H. Mower; Councilmen, J. C. York, J. N. Masterman, C. Carli. We append a list of mayors from 1854 to the present time: John McKusick, 1854; John Fisher, 1855; Wm. Willim, 1856-66-67; Albert Stinson, 1857; A. B. Gorgas, 1858; T. M. Fullerton, 1859; Mahlon Black, 1860-61; F. R. Delano, 1862; David Bronson, 1863-64; Wm. Grover, 1865; C. J. Butler, 1868; Wm. Holcombe, 1869-70; Wm. McKusick, 1871-72; A. K. Doe, 1873; Wm. G. Bronson, 1874-75-76; E. W. Durant, 1877; John S. Proctor, 1878-79-80; Samuel Mathews, 1881-82-83-84; Hollis R. Murdock, 1885; Isaac Staples, 1886; George M. Seymour, 1887-88.
The following is a complete list of city marshals since 1854: Jonathan E. McKusick, 1854; John Parker, 1855; John Cilly, 1856; Dennis Sullivan, 1557; Robert Hasty, 1858; Thomas Sinclair, 1859; Duncan Chisholm, 1860-61-62-63; John Shortall, 1864-65; John May, 1866, six months; P. E. Keefe, 1867; John May, 1868, six months; John Shortall, 1869; H. McIntyre, 1870; Duncan Chisholm, 1871; John Lyons, 1872-3, eighteen months; Mathew Shortall, 1873, and continuously to the present time. Mr. Shortall's long term of office proves him an effective and popular officer. F. L. McKusick is police court officer. He is a veteran of the police force and has acquitted himself to the satisfaction of the people of Stillwater.
Established in 1845, was located first at the corner of Main and Chestnut streets. The first postmaster was Elam Greely. His successors were John McKusick, John S. Proctor, Harley D. Curtis, Mahlon Black, Abraham Van Voorhes, H. D. Cutler, E. J. Butts, and —— McCarthy. During 1845 a citizens' mail was brought from Point Douglas. Its regularity depended somewhat on the season. During the winter it was brought some times as infrequently as once a month. In 1846 a government line was established from Point Douglas, and the mail was brought with greater regularity. In 1848 a mail coach line was established between Stillwater and St. Paul. The year followinga weekly mail was established. The rapid increase of settlements on the Upper Mississippi created a demand for more frequent mails; consequently from 1850 to the completion of the railroad leading into Stillwater, a daily mail was brought into Stillwater during the summer by steamboats, and by the Wisconsin overland route during the winter.
As an evidence of the growth of the city we append post office statistics of salaries, expenses and income for the year 1885: