L.

L.

Labour-in-vainalley, St. Margaret’s hill.*

Labour-in-vaincourt, Old Fish street hill.*

Labour-in-vainhill, Thames street.*

Labour-in-vainstreet, Lower Shadwell.*

Labour-in-vainyard, Thames street.*

Ladcourt, Moses alley, Willow street.

Ladlane, Wood street, Cheapside.

Laddlecourt, Cut Throat lane, Upper Shadwell.

Lad’scourt, Gardiner’s lane.†

Ladyalley, 1. Great St. Anne’s lane. 2. King street, Westminster.

Lady AlleyAlmshouse, in King street, Westminster, consists of four rooms for as many poor women, and is said to have been founded by a King or Queen of England, with an allowance out of the Exchequer of 1l.6s.8d.a year each.Maitland.

Lamballey, 1. Bishopsgate street without.* 2. Blackman street, by St. George’s church, Southwark.* 3. Goodman’s fields. 4. Monkwell street.† 5. In the Old Change.* 6. Saffron hill.* 7. Sherbourn lane, Lombard street.* 8. Whitechapel.* 9. St. Giles’s Broadway.†

Lambcourt, 1. Abchurch lane. 2. Clerkenwell. 3. Lamb alley, Southwark.

Lamb’sbuildings, Inner Temple.†

Lamb’s Chapel, situated in a court to which it gives its name, at the north west corner of London wall, was founded in the reign of Edward I. and dedicated to St. James, when it was distinguished from other places of religious worship of the same name by the denomination ofSt. James’s Chapel, orHermitage on the wall; from its being erected on or near the city wall in Monkwell street. At the dissolution of religious houses, King Henry VIII. granted this chapel to William Lamb, a rich clothworker, who bequeathed it, with other appurtenances, to the company of which he was a member, and from him it received its present name.

In this chapel the clothworkers company have four sermons preached to them upon four principal festivals in the year, viz. upon the feast of the annunciation of the blessed Virgin, March 25; on the feast of St. John Baptist, June 24; on the feast of St. Michael the Archangel, Sept. 29; and on that of St. Thomas the Apostle, Dec. 21; upon which days the Master, Wardens, and Livery of the company, in conformity to the above Mr. Lamb’s will, go in their gowns to the chapel and hear a sermon; after which they relieve twelve poor men and as manywomen, by giving one shilling to each; and every Michaelmas they give to each a frize gown, a lockram shift, and a good pair of winter shoes.

Lamb’s Chapelcourt, Monkwell street.

Lamb’s Conduit, was according to Stow formed by the above-mentioned Mr. William Lamb, who having drawn together several springs of water to one head, at a place which is now the end of Red Lion street, in Holborn, erected a conduit there, and conveyed part of the water through leaden pipes the space of two thousand yards to Snow hill, where having rebuilt a ruinous conduit, which had been long disused, he laid the water into it. The whole expense of this work, which was finished March 26, 1577, amounted to 1500l.These conduits were built with stone, with a lamb on the top: the former of these little edifices gave its name to the adjacent fields, on which the Foundling hospital is built; but obstructing the view of that truly noble structure, it was taken down some years ago, and the water being conveyed to the side of the street, a descent is made to the spring head by a flight of stone steps. That on Snow hill has also been taken down, and a pump adorned with lamps placed in its room; the advantagethe city receives from the New River water, rendering these structures, which were formerly of great advantage, entirely useless.

Lamb’s ConduitMews, Millman street, Holborn.

Lamb’s Conduitpassage, Red Lion street.†

Lamb’scourt, Red Lion court.†

Lambstreet, 1. Crispin street, Spitalfields.† 2. Turnmill street.†

Lamb’syard, 1. Bishopsgate without.† 2. Nightingale lane, East Smithfield.

Lamberthill, generally called Lambeth hill, Thames street; was so called from Lambert the owner thereof.Maitland.

Lambertstreet, Goodman’s fields.†

Lambert’srents, Petticoat lane.†

Lambeth Palace.S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.

Lambeth Palace.S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.

Lambeth Palace.S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.

Lambeth, a village in Surry, situated on the Thames, between Southwark and Battersea, and near the south end of London bridge; is particularly famous for its containing, for several ages, the palace of the Archbishop of Canterbury. This structure was originally formed by Baldwin, Archbishop of that see, in the year 1188; who first intended to have raised a superb structure at Hackington, near this place; but the Monks, with whom he was at variance, obtained the Pope’s mandate against it; when, taking down what he had erected, he removed the bell of thematerials to Lambeth, with which he built the palace, a college and church, having before purchased the ground of the Bishop and Convent of Rochester, by a fair exchange.

In the year 1250, Boniface, Archbishop of Canterbury, having, by his arrogance, rendered himself hateful to the citizens of London, retired, for the security of his person, to this palace; and finding it in a ruinous condition, within the space of three years rebuilt the whole north side, the archi-episcopal apartments, the library and cloisters, the guard-chamber, the chapel, and Lollards tower.

From that time this palace became the residence of the greatest persons of the church, and was soon enlarged by many additional buildings: Cardinal Pool built the gate, which, for that time, is a noble structure. The Lollards tower, which is thus named from a room in it prepared for the imprisonment of the followers of Wickliff, the first British reformer, who were called Lollards, was finished by Chichely, and remains a lasting memorial of his cruelty, and antichristian spirit. It is a small room, twelve feet broad and nine long, planked with elm, and there still remain eight rings and staples, to which Christians were chained, for presuming todiffer in opinion from that prelate. The spacious hall was erected by Juxton, and the brick edifice between the gate and this hall was begun by Archbishop Sancroft, and finished by the immortal Tillotson.

From the present structure being thus erected at different periods, it is not at all surprizing that it has but little appearance of uniformity; but the edifice, tho’ old, is in most parts strong; the corners are faced with rustic, and the top surrounded with battlements; but the principal apartments are well proportioned, and well enlightened: the Gothic work about it is irregularly disposed, and it is in itself irregular. Some of the inner rooms are too close and confined; but there are many others open and pleasant in themselves, with the advantage of being convenient, and of affording very agreeable prospects. For as this palace is situated on the bank of the Thames, it affords a fine view up and down the river, and, from the higher apartments, a prospect of the country each way.

The palace, with the rows of trees before it, and the church of Lambeth adjoining, when viewed from the Thames, make a very pretty picturesque appearance, and this is the view which is here given.

In this palace is a very fine library,founded in the year 1610, by Archbishop Sancroft, who left by will all his books, for the use of his successors in the archi-episcopal see of Canterbury. This library has been greatly increased by the benefactions of the Archbishops Abbot, Sheldon, and Tennyson, and consists of 617 volumes in manuscript, and above 14,500 printed books.

The church, which stands by the palace, is a very antique structure, dedicated to St. Mary. It has a square tower, and both that and the body of the church are crowned with battlements. In this parish are eight precincts, denominated the Archbishop’s, the Prince’s, Vauxhall, Kennington, the Marsh, the Wall, Stockwell, and the Dean’s precinct. It is remarkable, that at Lambeth Wall is a spot of ground, containing an acre and nineteen poles, named Pedlar’s acre, which has belonged to the parish from time immemorial, and is said to have been given by a pedlar, upon condition that his picture, with that of his dog, be perpetually preserved in painted glass in one of the windows of the church; which the parishioners carefully performed in the south east window of the middle isle.Maitland.

Lambeth Butts, Lambeth.

Lambeth Marsh, between Lambeth and Spring Gardens.

Lambethroad, Newington Butts.

LambethSchool, was founded by Richard Laurence, citizen and merchant of London, in the year 1661, for educating twenty poor children of the Marsh and Wall liberties of this parish, for which purpose he endowed it with 35l.per annum.

Lambethstairs, Lambeth.

Lancastercollege, in the parish of St. Gregory near St. Paul’s, was a hall founded by King Henry IV. and the executors of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster; containing lodgings and a common hall for charity priests to officiate in a chapel, on the north side of the choir of St. Paul’s cathedral; but it was suppressed, and granted to one Mr. William Gunter, in the second year of Edward VI.Maitland.

Duchy ofLancaster Court, held at Gray’s Inn. This court owes its origin to King Henry IV. after his having deposed Richard II. when, possessing the duchy of Lancaster in right of his mother, he imagined his claim to it better than that to the throne, and therefore separated it from the Crown, and erected this court for its use. Here all matters of law and equity, belonging to the duchyor county palatine of Lancaster, are tried and determined by the Chancellor, who is the chief judge, and is assisted by his attorney general, and other officers.Maitland.

Duchy ofLancaster Liberty, begins on the outside of Temple Bar, and extending along the south side of the Strand to the east side of Cecil street, reaches down it to the Thames, and thence to Essex Buildings, taking in all the houses to Temple Bar. On the north side it extends from Temple Bar to where the Maypole stood, and extending down Holiwell street, commonly called the back of St. Clement’s, passes by Butcher row, taking in all that range of buildings. Beyond the place of the Maypole, this liberty begins again by the Fountain tavern in Catharine street, and reaches from thence into the Strand, as far as Exeter exchange; then turning up Burleigh street, it runs up within four houses of the corner of Essex street, and, crossing it, proceeds into Catharine street, by the Fountain tavern.Stow, last edit.

Lancastercourt, 1. New Bond street. 2. In the Strand.

Lancasteryard, Holiwell street.

Land of Promiselane, Hoxton.

Landressalley, Five feet lane.

Lane’salley, St. Giles’s Broadway.†

Lane’scourt, Cold Bath square, by Cold Bath fields.†

Langbourn Rivulet, a brook which formerly took its rise in or near the east end of Fenchurch street, and ran with a swift current due west, to Sherbourn lane, at the west end of St. Mary Woolnoth; then dividing its stream into several rills, ran directly south, and was lost in the Wall Brook, on Dowgate hill.Maitland.

Langbourn Ward, took its name from the Langbourn, or rivulet above-mentioned. It is bounded on the north by Aldgate and Lime street wards; on the west, by Wallbrook ward; on the south, by Candlewick, Bridge, Billingsgate, and Tower street wards; and on the east, by Aldgate ward. Its principal streets are great part of Fenchurch street, and Lombard street, Exchange alley, Birchinlane, &c.

The most remarkable buildings are, the churches of St. Mary Woolnoth, St. Edmund the King, Allhallows Lombard street, and St. Dionis Backchurch; the General Post office, Pewterers hall, and the hall belonging to the Hudson’s Bay company.

This ward is governed by an Alderman, his Deputy, ten Common Council men, seventeenwardmote inquest men, nine scavengers, fifteen constables, and a beadle; and the jurors returned by the wardmote inquest serve in the several courts of Guildhall in the month of November.

Langdon’srents, Bett’s street.

Langley Park, near Langley Green, in Buckinghamshire, belongs to the Duke of Marlborough. The late Duke began to build a new house of stone in this park, but one of the wings is yet wanting to compleat the design, which is more remarkable for its elegance than grandeur.

Langleystreet, 1. Long Acre.† 2. Whitecross street.†

Lang’scourt, St. Martin’s lane.†

Lassingby’scourt, Conduit court, Long Acre.†

Lastalley, 1. Cow Cross, West Smithfield.* 2. Whitechapel.*

Last and Ballcourt, London Wall.*

Latimers, a hamlet with a chapel of ease to Chesham in Bucks, received its name from its ancient Lords. In this hamlet lived Sir Edwyn Sands, whose daughter having four sons and nine daughters by her husband Sir Thomas Temple, ancestor of the present Earl Temple, lived to see 700 descended from her, and died in 1656. The Lord James Cavendish has here a seat.

Lavenderstreet, near Cuckold’s Point.

Laughton’srents, Cinnamon street.†

St.LawrenceJewry, on the north side of Cateaton street, in Cheap ward, is thus denominated from its being dedicated to St. Lawrence, a native of Huesca in the kingdom of Arragon in Spain, who, after having suffered the most dreadful torments under the Emperor Valerian, was cruelly broiled alive upon a gridiron, with a slow fire, till he died: and it received the additional epithet of Jewry, from its situation among the Jews, who formerly resided in the streets near that church; to distinguish it from St. Lawrence Poultney, now demolished.Maitland.

This church being burnt, with many others, in the dreadful fire of London in 1666, was rebuilt at the parish expence, with a very considerable benefaction by Sir John Langham.

It is eighty-one feet long, sixty-eight broad, forty feet high to the roof, and the steeple 130 feet high. The body is enlightened by two series of windows, the lower ones large and uniform, and the upper small. At the east end is a pediment with niches supported by Corinthian columns. The tower, which is lofty, is terminated by a balustrade withplain pinnacles, and within this balustrade rises a kind of lanthorn, which supports the base of the spire.

This church is a vicarage in the gift of the Master and Scholars of Baliol college in Oxford, and the profits of the Incumbent are much augmented by the parish of St. Mary Magdalen Milk street being annexed to it: he receives 120l.a year from the parish, and 20l.from Baliol college.

Lawrencelane, 1. From Cheapside to Cateaton street, near the above church. 2. High street, St. Giles’s. 3. New street Lambeth.

St.LawrencePoultney, on the west side of St. Lawrence Poultney’s lane, was so denominated from the above saint, and Mr. John Poultney, who founded a college there; but the church being consumed in the general conflagration in 1666, and not rebuilt, the parish was united to that of St. Mary Abchurch.

Lawrence Poultneyhill, Canon street.†

Lawrence Poultneylane, Canon street.†

Lead Office, in Ingram’s court, Fenchurch street. This office belongs to a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King William and Queen Mary in the year 1692, under the titleofThe Governor and Company for melting down lead with pit and sea coal. By this patent they are empowered to raise a joint stock for the effectual carrying on the business of smelting, or drawing lead from the ore with sea coal instead of wood.

This corporation is under the direction of a Governor, Deputy Governor, and twelve Assistants.Maitland.

Leadenhall, a very large building of great antiquity in Leadenhall street, with flat battlements leaded at the top, and a spacious square in the middle. In this edifice are the warehouse for the selling of leather, the Colchester baize hall, the meal warehouse, and the wool hall.

Leadenhall Market, the largest market in the city of London, and perhaps in Europe, consists of five considerable squares, or courts, the first of which opens by a large Gothic gate into Leadenhall street. This court, which is surrounded by the buildings called Leadenhall, is surrounded with sheds for butchers, tanners, &c. As there is but little meat sold here except beef, this is called the Beef market. This square is on Tuesday a market for leather; on Thursdays the waggons from Colchester, and other parts, come with baize, &c. and the felmongers with wool; on Fridaysit is a market for raw hides, and on Saturdays for beef.

Behind this market are two others separated by a range of buildings of a considerable length, with shops and rooms on each side. In both these are principally sold small meat, as mutton, veal, lamb, and pork, and some of the shops sell beef. In the easternmost of these markets is a market house supported on pillars, with vaults underneath, and rooms above, with a clock and a bell tower, and underneath are sold various sorts of provision. Beyond these is a very spacious market for fowl. There is another called the Herb-market, which has an entrance into Leadenhall street, but this does not succeed. The passages into the above markets from Lime street and Gracechurch street, are filled with the dealers in provisions of various kinds.

Leadenhallstreetextends from the end of Cornhill, at the corner of Gracechurch street, to Aldgate street within.

Leatherlane, Holborn.

Leatherdressersyard, Paul’s Alley.

Leatherhead, orLetherhead, a small town in Surry, situated about four miles to the S. W. of Epsom. It had formerly a market, which has been discontinued above an hundred years. Here is a bridge over the river Mole, which havingsunk into the earth near Mickleham, at the foot of Boxhill, rises again near this town, and runs through Cobham, to the Thames at Moulsey. ’Tis pleasantly situated on a rising bank by the side of the river, and in as good a situation for riding or hunting as most within twenty miles of London, it having a fine, open, dry, champaign country almost all round it.

Leathersellers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by Henry VI. in the Year 1442. They are governed by a Prime, and three Wardens, with twenty-six Assistants, and an hundred and fifty-six liverymen, who at their admission pay a fine of 20l.each.

By a grant of Henry VII. the Wardens of this corporation, or their deputies, were impowered to have the inspection of sheeps, lambs, and calves leather throughout the kingdom, in order the more effectually to prevent frauds in those commodities.

Leathersellershallin Little St. Helen’s, was part of the convent of nuns dedicated to St. Helen, and considering the antiquity of its building, has some of the best joiners and plaisterers work in the kingdom. The entrance into the common hall is up a handsome flight of stone steps from the court yard. The screenis magnificently adorned with six columns of the Ionic order, enrichments, &c. and the ceiling enriched with fretwork.

Boyle’sLecture. See the articleBoyle’s Lecture.

Lee’sAlmshouse, upon the Narrow Wall, Lambeth, was erected by Gerard Van Lee; and Valentine Van Lee, who was probably his son, gave the eight poor inhabitants of this house, the sum of 5l.per annum, for the term of five hundred Years.Maitland.

Lee’scourt, 1. St. Catharine’s lane.† 2. Hockley in the Hole.†

Lee’sstreet, Red Lion square, Holborn.†

Legalley, 1. Barnaby street.* 2. Long Acre.* 3. Shoreditch.* 4. Tooley street.*

Legcourt, Peter street, Westminster.*

St.Leger’swharf, Tooley street.†

Legget’swalk, Upper Ground.†

Leicesterfields, a very handsome square, the inner part of which is enclosed with iron rails, and adorned with grass plats and gravel walks, in the center of which is an equestrian statue of his present majesty gilt. The buildings with which this square is surrounded, are very good, especially the north side, where is Leicester house, once the seat of the Earl of Leicester, and now inhabited by her Royal Highness the Princess Dowager of Wales. This is a large brick building, neat andcommodious, though not magnificent. It has a spacious court before, and a fine garden behind it; there is here a good collection of pictures; and from this house the square is denominated. Next to this edifice is the house of Sir George Savile, Bart. in which his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales resides at present.

Leicesterstreet, 1. By Leicester fields.☐ 2. Liquorpond street. 3. Warwick street, Haymarket.

Leigh’scourt, St. Catharine’s lane.†

Leith Hill, near Boxhill in Surry, admired for affording one of the noblest prospects in all Europe, of which Mr. Dennis gives a lively description in his Letters familiar, moral and critical; we shall therefore transcribe his words. “In a late journey,” says he, “which I took into the Wild of Sussex, I passed over an hill which shewed me a more transporting sight than ever the country had shewn me before, either in England or Italy. The prospects which in Italy pleased me most, were that of the Valdarno from the Apennines; that of Rome, and the Mediterranean from the mountains of Viterbo; of Rome at forty, and the Mediterranean at fifty miles distance from it; and that of the Campagne of Rome from Tivoli and Frescati; from which two places yousee every foot of that famous Campagne, even from the bottom of Tivoli and Frescati to the very foot of the mountain of Viterbo, without any thing to intercept your sight. But from an hill which I passed in my late journey into Sussex, I had a prospect more extensive than any of these, and which surpassed them at once in rural charms, in pomp, and in magnificence. The hill which I speak of, is called Leith Hill, and is about five miles southward from Darking, about six from Box Hill, and near twelve from Epsom. It juts itself out about two miles beyond that range of hills which terminate the north downs to the south. When I saw from one of these hills, at about two miles distance that side of Leith Hill which faces the northern downs, it appeared the beautifullest prospect I had ever seen: but after we had conquered the hill itself, I saw a sight that would transport a stoic; a sight that looked like enchantment and vision. Beneath us lay open to our view all the wilds of Surry and Sussex, and a great part of that of Kent, admirably diversified in every part of them with woods, and fields of corn and pastures, every where adorned with stately rows of trees.

“This beautiful vale is about thirtymiles in breadth, and about sixty in length, and is terminated to the south by the majestic range of the southern hills, and the sea: and it is no easy matter to decide, whether these hills, which appear at thirty, forty, fifty miles distance, with their tops in the sky, seem more aweful and venerable, or the delicious vale between you and them more inviting. About noon, in a serene day, you may at thirty miles distance, see the very water of the sea through a chasm of the mountains. And that which above all makes it a noble and a wonderful prospect, is, that at the same time that, at thirty miles distance, you behold the very water of the sea; at the same time that you behold to the south, the most delicious rural prospect in the world; at that very time, by a little turn of your head towards the north, you look full over Box Hill, and see the country beyond it, between that and London; and, over the very stomacher of it, see St. Paul’s at twenty-five miles distance, and London beneath it, and Highgate and Hampstead beyond it.”

Lemonstreet, 1. Goodman’s fields.† 2. Lowman’s Pond row, Southwark.†

Lemontreeyard, Bedfordsbury.*

St.Leonard’sEastcheap, was dedicated toLeonard, a French saint, and mighty miracle-monger, and stood on the east side of Fish street hill, near Little Eastcheap; but being destroyed by the fire of London in 1666, and not rebuilt, the parish is annexed to that of St. Bennet’s Gracechurch street.Maitland.

St.Leonard’sFoster lane, was dedicated to the above-mentioned saint, and stood on the west side of Foster lane, Cheapside; but suffering in the fatal catastrophe of 1666, and not being rebuilt, the parish is annexed to that of Christ’s Church.

St.Leonard’sShoreditch. There was a church in this place dedicated to the same saint in very early times, and there are records of a dispute concerning itz in the reign of Henry II. The last structure, which was a very mean heavy pile, stood till the year 1735, when the inhabitants having the year before applied to parliament, it was pulled down, and the present light and elegant edifice was soon after erected in its room.Strype’s edit. of Stow.

To this church there is an ascent by a double flight of plain steps, which lead to a portico of the angular kind supported by four Doric columns, and bearing an angular pediment. The body of the edifice is plain, but well enlightened, and the steeple light, elegant and lofty. The tower at a proper height has a series ofIonic columns, and on their entablature are scrolls which support as many Corinthian columns placed on pedestals, and supporting a dome, from whose crown rises a series of columns of the Composite order, on whose entablature rests the spire standing upon four balls, which give it an additional air of lightness; and on the top, as usual, is a ball and fane.

This church is both a rectory and a vicarage; but the distinct rights of the Rector and Vicar are said to be not thoroughly ascertained; however the profits of the vicarage amount to about 350l.a year.

Leopardalley, Saffron hill.*

Leopard’scourt, Baldwin’s Gardens.

Lester’syard, Bluegate fields.†

Leveridge’syard, Nightingale lane.†

Lewisham, a town in Kent, situated on the river Ravensburn, between Blackheath and Surry. Here are two free schools, of which the Leathersellers company in London are Governors.

Lewis’syard, 1. Greenbank, Wapping.† 2. Saffron hill.†

Leydonstreet, Shadwell market.†

Lidier’scourt, Saltpetre bank.†

Lifeguardyard, Oxford street.

Lilley’salley, Saffron hill.†

Lillipotlane, Noble street, Foster lane.†

Limehouse, was anciently a village abovetwo miles distant from the city of London, though it is now joined by a continued chain of buildings: its original name was Limehurst, which has been corrupted to Limehouse, This, according to Mr. Stow, is a Saxon word signifying a grove of lime trees, and it was given to this village, on account of the number of those trees anciently in that neighbourhood.

Limehousebridge, Limehouse.

Limehousecauseway, Limehouse.

Limehousecorner, Limehouse.

Limehousedock, Narrow street, Limehouse.

LimehouseFore street, at the end of Ratcliff Narrow street.

Limehouse Hole, Limehouse.

Limehouse Holestairs, Limehouse.

Limehouse Holestreet, Limehouse.

Limehouseroad, White Horse street.

Limekilndock, Limehouse.

Limekilnhill, Limehouse.

Limekilnyard, Limehouse.

Limestreet, extends from Leadenhall street into Fenchurch street, and is thus called from its being anciently a place where lime was either made or sold.Maitland.

Lime Streetsquare, Lime street.

Lime Street Ward, is very small, and is bounded on the north and east by Aldgate ward; on the south by Langbourn ward; and on the west, by Bishopsgateward. It is observable that there is no church, nor whole street in this ward, though it runs through several parishes. Its principal buildings are the East India House, and Leadenhall.

To this ward belong an Alderman and four Common Council men, including the Deputy, four constables, two scavengers, sixteen wardmote inquest men, and a beadle. The jurymen returned by the wardmote inquest serve as jurors in the several courts in Guildhall, in the month of November.

Lime Treecourt, Narrow wall, Southwark.‡

Limpsfield, a village near Croydon in Surry, in the Kent road.

Lincoln’s Inn, one of the four Inns of Court, is situated on the west side of Chancery lane, where formerly stood the houses of the Bishop of Chichester and of the Black Friars, the latter erected about the year 1222, and the former about 1226; but both of them coming to Henry Lacey, Earl of Lincoln, he built in their room a stately mansion for his city residence. It however afterwards reverted to the bishopric of Chichester, and was demised by Robert Sherbourn, Bishop of that see, to Mr. William Syliard, a student there, for a term of years; after the expiration of which Dr. RichardSampson, his successor, in the year 1536 passed the inheritance thereof to the said Syliard and Eustace his brother; and the latter, in 1579, in consideration of the sum of 500l.conveyed the house and gardens in fee to Richard Kingsmill and the rest of the benchers.

The charge of admission into this house, including fees, amount to 5l.and every student, after studying there seven years, is admitted to the bar. The members are obliged to be a fortnight in commons every term, on the penalty of paying 18s.in case of absence.Stow.Maitland.

Lincoln’s Inn principally consists of three rows of good buildings, all taken up by gentlemen of the society. These form three sides of the square, and here the buildings are all new and uniform, the north side lying open to the gardens, which are greatly improved with gravel walks, grass plats, rows of trees, and a very long terrace walk, which affords a fine prospect of Lincoln’s Inn Fields. In the middle of the square is a neat fluted Corinthian column in a small bason surrounded with iron bars. This column supports a handsome sun dial, which has four sides, and on the corners of the pedestal are four naked boys spouting water out of Tritons’ shells. This is one of the neatest squares in town, and tho’ it is imperfect on oneside, that very defect produces a beauty by giving a prospect of the gardens, which are only separated from it by iron rails, and fill the space to abundantly more advantage. No area is kept in better order for cleanliness and beauty by day, or illuminations and decorum by night. The fountain in the middle is a pretty decoration. The print represents as much of the square as could be taken in the visual angle at one view, with the fountain in the middle, as it appears coming into it from Portugal row. This is one of the most considerable Inns of Court possessed by the gentlemen of the law. Here is a good hall and chapel of Gothic architecture. The latter was built by Inigo Jones, who notwithstanding his skill and reputation in architecture, could not persuade them to have it in any other stile.

The above gardens, which are extremely pleasant and commodious, are, like those of Gray’s Inn, laid open for public use; the greatest part of the west side of the square is taken up with the offices belonging to the stamp duty. SeeStamp Office.

A little behind the north east side of the square is the above chapel, which was built about the year 1622 or 1623, on pillars, with an ambulatory or walk underneath, paved with broad stones. This walk,particularly when illuminated by the lamps, inspires the mind with a kind of melancholy pleasure, that may be better felt than described. The outside of the chapel is a good piece of Gothic architecture, and the windows are painted with the figures at full length of the principal personages mentioned in the sacred Scriptures. On the twelve windows on the north side, are Abraham, Moses, Eli, David, and the prophets Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Amos, and Zachariah, with John the Baptist, and St. Paul, and on the south side are the rest of the Apostles. Under these figures are the arms of a great number of the gentlemen belonging to this society. The colours in these paintings being extremely bright and beautiful, it is not at all surprizing that these pictures on glass should be much admired, though the designs are in reality but poor, and there is little expression in the faces.

In the old buildings fronting the garden beyond the square, is the library, which consists of a good collection of books in several languages and faculties.

S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.Lincoln’s Inn.

S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.Lincoln’s Inn.

S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.Lincoln’s Inn.

Lincoln’s Inn Fields, is universally allowed to be the largest, and one of the most beautiful squares in London, if not in Europe. It is encompassed on three sides by houses, and on the east by the wall of theterrace of Lincoln’s Inn garden. The north side is called Newman’s row, the west side Arch row, the south side Portugal row, and the east side Lincoln’s Inn wall. This square was originally laid out by the masterly hand of Inigo Jones, and it is said that the sides of it are the exact measure of the great Pyramid of Egypt. It was intended to have been built all in the same stile; but there were not a sufficient number of people of taste, to accomplish so great a work. The house which was late the Duke of Ancaster’s, is built on this model; but elevated and improved so as to make it more suitable to the quality of the owner. It has that simple grandeur which characterises all the designs of the celebrated Inigo Jones. The print here given of it may serve to convey some idea not only of this particular house, but of the noble appearance which the whole square would have made had it been all built after this fine design.

Some of the houses however in this square are grand and noble, but they are far from having that beauty which arises from uniformity. The square is now adorned with a fine bason in the middle, well supplied with water; and with grass plats and gravel walks, encompassed with an iron pallisade fixed upon a stone plinth, at a proper distance from the buildings.

Lincoln’s Inngate, on the south side of Lincoln’s Inn square.

Lincoln’s Innpassage, on the west side of Lincoln’s Inn square.

Linton’scourt, Near New Gravel lane.†

Linton’slane, Newington Butts.†

Linton’syard, Milk yard, Shadwell.†

Lion and Lamballey, Golden lane.*

Lion’scourt, Lutener’s Lane.†

Lion’s Inn, anciently a common Inn, with the sign of the Lion, is one of the Inns in Chancery, and is situated between Holiwell street and Wych street. It is a member of the Inner Temple, and is governed by a Treasurer and twelve Ancients, who with the other members are to be three weeks in commons in Michaelmas term, and a fortnight in each of the rest.Chamberlain’s Present State.Maitland.

Lion’s Inncourt, Lion’s Inn.*

Lion’skey, Thames street.†

Lion’sstreet, Bloomsbury.†

Lion’syard, Whitecross street.†

Liquorpondstreet, Leather lane.

Lislestreet, Prince’s street, Soho.†

LisshamGreen, a pleasant village near Paddington.

Litchfieldstreet, Soho.

Little Almonry, by the Great Almonry, Westminster; so named from the alms given there. See the next article.

Little AlmonryAlmshouse, situated in the Little Almonry, was founded by Henry VII. for the accommodation of twelve poor watermen and their wives, who annually receive of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster 7l.2s.4d.each couple, with a purple gown every other year; and for the burial of a Duke, Marquis, or their Ladies in the Abbey, 1l.6s.6d.and for that of an Earl, Baron, or their Ladies, 10s.6d.

LittleSt.Andrew’sstreet, Seven Dials.

LittleSt.Ann’slane, 1. Old Pye street. 2. Peter street, Westminster.

Little Argylestreet, Argyle street, Great Marlborough street.†

Little Arthurstreet, Great Arthur street, Goswell street.†

Little Ashentreecourt, Water lane.‡

Little Ayliffstreet, Goodman’s Fields.†

Little Baconstreet, Brick lane.†

Little Baileystreet, Little Tower hill.†

Little Bandylegwalk, Queen street.

Little Bartholomew Close, Little Britain.

Little Bearkey, Thames street. SeeBearkey.

Little Bellalley, 1. Coleman street.* 2. Grub street.*

Little Bennet’scourt, Marygold court.†

Little Black Horsecourt, Aldersgate street.

Little Boothstreet, Coverley’s fields.

Little Bossalley, Thames street.

Little Bricklane, Nicol’s street.

Little Bridgesstreet, Bridges street.†

Little Britain, extends from Aldersgate street to Duck lane. This was anciently called Britain street, from the Duke of Britany’s palace situated in it near St. Botolph’s church.

Little Broadstreet, Broad street, London wall.

Little Brook’sstreet, Grosvenor square.†

Little Bushlane, Thames street.

Little Burstreet, Nightingale lane, East Smithfield.†

Little Cablestreet, 1. Cable street, Rag Fair.† 2. Wellclose square.†

Little Carterlane, Old Change.†

Little Castlestreet, Winsley street.*

Little Catharinestreet, In the Strand.

Little Chandosstreet, St. Martin’s lane.

Little Chapelstreet, 1. Great Wardour street. 2. By New Chapel street, Westminster.

Little Cheapside, Three Cranes, Thames street.

Little Cheapsideyard, Three Crane alley.

Little Cockalley, 1. Redcross street, Cripplegate.* 2. Whitecross street, Cripplegate.*

Little Cockhill, Ratcliff.†

Littlecourt, 1. Duke’s Place, by Aldgate. 2. St. Mary Overies church yard.

Little Crowalley, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.*

Little Crowder’s Wellalley, Jewin street.

Little Crownalley, Long Alley, Moorfields.*

Little Dean’scourt, St. Martin’s le Grand.

Little Dean’syard, Dean’s Yard, Westminster.

Little Dicekey, Thames street.

Little Distafflane, Old Change.

Little Drurylane, in the Strand.

Little Duke’s Place, orcourt, Leadenhall street.

Little Dunning’salley, near Bishopsgate street.†

Little Earlstreet, Seven Dials.†

Little Eastcheap, Gracechurch street.

Little Elbowlane, 1. In Great Elbow lane, Thames street. 2. Ratcliff.

Little Essexstreet, Essex street, in the Strand.

Little Flower de Lucecourt, Cowcross.*

Little Friarsgate, Fleet street, leading to White Friars.

Little Fridaystreet, Friday street, Cheapside.

Little Georgestreet, 1. Great Georgestreet, Conduit street. 2. Great George street, Spitalfields.

Little Gloucestercourt, Chequer alley, Whitecross street.

Little Gloucesterstreet, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.

Little Gray’s Innlane, Gray’s Inn lane, Holborn.

Little Greenwich, Aldersgate street.

Little Greenwichalley, Aldersgate street.

Little Grosvenorstreet, Grosvenor square.

Little Gunalley, Orchard, Wapping.*

Little Hartstreet, near Covent Garden.

LittleSt.Helen’s, Bishopsgate street. SeeSt.Helen’s.

LittleSt.Helen’sAlmshouse, was erected by the Leathersellers company, pursuant to the will of John Hasilwood, of Waltham, Esq; in the year 1544, for the reception of four men and three women, who were allowed by the founder only 8d.per week each; but by other benefactions, and the bounty of the company, they now receive 2s.weekly, and six bushels of coals at Christmas.Maitland.

LittleSt.Helen’scourt, Bishopsgate street within.

Little Hermitagestreet, Wapping.

Little Hollis’sstreet, Hanover square.†

Little Howard’syard, Angel alley.†

Little Jermainstreet, St. James’s street.

Little John’sstreet, Davis’s street.

Little Island, New Gravel lane.

Little Ivylane, Ivy lane.‡

Little King’s Headcourt, near Shoe lane, Fleet street.

Little King’sstreet, St. James’s street.

Little Kirbystreet, Hatton garden.†

Little Knightriderstreet, Great Knightrider street, by Addle hill.

Little Lamballey, Blackman street.*

Little Lastalley, East Smithfield.*

Little Lombardstreet, Lombard street, by the Mansion house.

Little Lovelane, Wood street, Cheapside.

Little Maddoxstreet, New Bond street.

Little Marlboroughstreet, Carnaby street.

Little Marshyard, near Wapping.

LittleSt.Martin’slane, Charing Cross.

Little Matchwalk, Upper Shadwell.

Little Maypolealley, St. Margaret’s hill.

Little Mazepondstreet, in the Maze.

Little Minories, that part of the Minories which is railed in, and is out of the city liberties. See the articleMinories.

Little Minoriescourt, Little Minories.

Little Mitchell’sstreet, Old street.†

Little Montaguecourt, Little Britain.

Little Montaguestreet, 1. Crispin street, Spitalfields. 2. Pelham street.

Little Moorfields, Fore street, Moorgate.

Little Mooryard, St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross.†

Little Mousealley, East Smithfield.

Little Newcourt, Lamb alley.

Little Newportstreet, Great Newport lane.

Little Newstreet, New street, Shoe lane.

Little New Streethill, near Shoe lane.

Little Nightingalelane, Burr street.

Little Northumberlandalley, Crutched Friars.

Little Nottinghamstreet, Dyot street.

Little Old Bailey, Great Old Bailey.

Little Ormondstreet, 1. Southampton row. 2. Red Lion street, Holborn.

Little Ormondyard, Ormond street.

Little Pearlstreet, Lamb street, Spitalfields.*

Little Peterstreet, 1. Little Windmill street. 2. Tufton street.

Little Portlandstreet, Portland street.

Little Prescotstreet, Goodman’s fields.†

Little Prince’sstreet, 1. Near High Holborn. 2. Old Soho.

Little Queenstreet, 1. Dean street, Soho. 2. High Holborn. 3. King street, Rotherhith. 4. Queen street, Wapping. 5. Westminster.

Little Rider’scourt, Little Newport street.†

Little Riderstreet, St. James’s street.†

Little Ropewalk, Goswell street.

Little Russelstreet, 1. Bloomsbury. 2. Drury lane.

Little Rutlandcourt, Addle hill.

Little Sanctuary, King street, Westminster.

Little Scotlandyard, Whitehall.

Little Sheerlane, Sheer lane, Temple bar.

Little Smithstreet, Smith street, Marsham street.†

Little Springstreet, Spring street, Shadwell.

Little Staralley, Mark lane.*

Little Stonestairs, Ratcliff.

Little Suffolkstreet, Haymarket.

Little Swallowstreet, Swallow street.

Little Swanalley, 1. Coleman street.* 2. Goswell street.* 3. Mount Mill.* 4. St. John’s street, West Smithfield.* 5. Three colts yard, London Wall.*

Little Swordbearersalley, Chiswell street.

LittleSt.Thomas Apostle’slane, Queen street, Cheapside.

Little Thompson’srents, Half Moon alley, Coleman street.†

Little Three Tunalley, Near Whitechapel.*

Little Tower Hill, At the bottom of the Minories.

Little Towerstreet, At the west end of Tower street.

Little Trinitylane, In Trinity lane, Bow lane.

Little Turnstilealley, High Holborn.

Little Twyford’salley, St. Ermin’s hill.†

Little Vinestreet, Vine street.*

Little Wardourstreet, Tweed street.

Little Warnerstreet, Cold Bath fields.†

Little Warwickstreet, Cockspur street.

Little White Bearcourt, Black Friars.*

Little White Lionstreet, Seven Dials.*

Little Wildstreet, Great Wild street.†

Little Winchesterstreet, London Wall.

Little Windmillstreet, Near Cambridge street.

Little Woodstreet, Cripplegate.

Little Yorkstreet, Cock lane, Shoreditch.

Littletonstreet, Golden lane.†

Littonstreet, Golden lane.†

Lloyd’scourt, 1. Denmark street, Soho.† 2. Hog lane, St. Giles’s.†

Lloyd’sstreet, Prince’s street, Soho.†

Lloyd’syard, Skinner’s street.†

Lock Hospital, near Hyde Park Corner, for the cure of the venereal disease. This charitable foundation was established, and is still supported by the voluntary contributions of gentlemen, who have had the humanity to consider, that pain and misery, however produced, entitle frail mortals to relief from their fellow creatures.They therefore, in imitation of the munificence of the Almighty, who causes his sun to shine on the evil and the good, afford relief equally to the innocent and the guilty.

Patients were first received into this hospital on the 31st of January 1747, since which time to the 10th of March 1752, there were discharged from it 1432; besides those who received benefit from it, by being out-patients; and the in-patients cured from the 10th of March 1752, to the 10th of March 1753, amounted to 308; besides twenty-one cured as out-patients. In that year four died, and at that last period, there were forty patients in the house, and five out-patients.

Among the above unhappy objects were several married women, children and infants, many of whom were admitted by the weekly committee, even without any other recommendation than their distress, they being almost naked, pennyless and starving. The virtuous, the humane reader will be astonished at reading, that at the end of the above period, among the other miserable objects who found relief, were upwards of sixty children from two to ten or twelve years old, who became infected from ways little suspected by the generality of mankind; from the absurdopinion, imbibed by the lower class, both males and females, that by communicating this loathsome disease to one that is sound, they will get rid of it themselves; and from this principle, which is contradicted by daily experience, the most horrid acts of barbarity have been frequently committed on poor little infants; and thus these vile wretches have entailed the most dreadful disease on these innocent infants, without affording the least relief to themselves. This the Governors have thought their duty to publish, in order, as much as possible, to root out from among mankind an opinion at once so base, so false, and productive of such cruelty.

From the above account of the happy success of this charity, its great usefulness must appear extremely obvious to every humane well disposed person: and many such may be induced to contribute to it, when they are informed that any sum not less than a guinea a year, will be acceptable.

Every gentleman subscribing 5l.a year, or upwards, is a Governor of this hospital; and whoever gives a benefaction of 50l.at one time, is a Governor for life: but no Governor above two years in arrear, can have any power or privilege as a Governor, till he has paid his arrears.

A committee of at least five of the Governorsmeet every Saturday morning at ten o’clock, to admit and discharge patients, adjust the weekly accounts, receive the reports of the visitors, and examine the affairs of the house.

Two of the contributors are appointed weekly by the committee to examine every day into the behaviour of the patients and nurses, and make their report, as it shall appear to them, at the next weekly board.

The orders of the house are:

I. That no patient is to be admitted but who brings a recommendation in writing, signed by a Governor, or one of the weekly committee.

II. That all recommendations for the admission of patients are received every Saturday morning till eleven o’clock.

III. Every patient is obliged to submit to the rules and orders of the house, or be discharged for irregularity.

IV. No person discharged for irregularity, can ever be received into the house again, on any recommendation whatsoever.

V. That no Governor have more than one patient in the house at a time; and that a preference be always given to those who subscribe the largest sums, so far as the case of the patient will admit.

VI. That no nurse, or any other person belonging to this hospital, do presumeto take any reward whatsoever from any patient, either at their admission, continuance in the house, or discharge out of it, on pain of being immediately expelled, by order of the next weekly board.

VII. That no security at the admission of any patient be required for his burial; but when any patient dies in the hospital, he or she shall be buried at the expence of the society, unless it be otherwise desired by the friends of the deceased.

The contributors are desired to send their subscriptions to the Treasurer at the weekly board, held every Saturday morning in the hospital; and in order to supply the current expence of the charity, the subscribers are requested to pay their annual subscriptions in advance.

There is a poor’s box in the public hall, for the reception of small sums, or from such as are not willing to have their names inserted in the list of subscribers.

Lock Hospital, at the south east corner of Kent street, in Southwark, was anciently a house for the reception and cure of lepers: but at present it belongs to St. Bartholomew’s hospital in this city, and with the Lock at Kingsland, is appropriated to the cure of venereal patients.

It is a small neat edifice, and has been lately rebuilt. It has a row of trees before, and a garden behind, with a wallnext the street. At the south end is the chapel, built about an hundred and twenty years ago.

Lock Hospital, at Kingsland. SeeKingsland.

Lockwood’syard, Saffron hill.†

Lodise’salley, Saltpetre Bank.†

Lodise’scourt, Saltpetre Bank.†

Logsdownyard, Middle row, Holborn.

Lollards Tower, the southernmost of two stone towers which stood at the west of St. Paul’s cathedral before the fire of London; which being used as the Bishop of London’s prison for such as were found guilty of the supposed crime of maintaining opinions contrary to the faith of the church of Rome, and many of the followers of Wickliff, who were called Lollards, being here imprisoned, it obtained the name of the Lollards Tower. Among these persecuted people were Mr. Richard Hunne, a citizen of London, a person well beloved, and of a fair character, who in the year 1515 was imprisoned here, under the pretence of having Wickliff’s bible; tho’ the occasion of his ruin was a dispute he had with a clerk about a mortuary, which was made the cause of the whole clergy. This man however submitted to the Bishop’s correction, upon which he ought to have been enjoined penance and set at liberty; but he wasfound hanging in his chamber, with his neck broken; and the Bishop’s sumner owned that he, with Dr. Horsey the Bishop’s chancellor, and the bell-ringer, had committed the murder. Upon this the coroner’s inquest proceeded to trial; but the Bishop began a new process against the dead body for heresy, and his persecutors not satisfied with having him murdered, caused the corpse to be burnt in Smithfield.Maitland.

Lollards Tower, at Lambeth. SeeLambeth.

Lombardcourt, 1. Seven Dials. 2. West street, Soho.

Lombardstreet, 1. On the back of Cornhill, extends from the mansion house of the Lord Mayor, to Gracechurch street. Lombard street was anciently, as well as at present, inhabited by bankers, the first of whom were Italians chiefly from Lombardy, whence the word Lombards became anciently applied to all bankers, and this street retained the name of Lombards or Bankers street.Stow.2. In Coverley’s fields. 3. In White Friars. 4. In the Mint, Southwark.


Back to IndexNext