Chapter 2

S. Wale delin.E. Rooker sculp.Somerset House.

S. Wale delin.E. Rooker sculp.Somerset House.

Somersetstable yard, a large yard to the west of Somerset house, in which are coach-houses, stables and a guard-room, where a detachment of foot guards doduty daily, as well as at Somerset house, to which it belongs.

Somersetstairs, Strand.†

Somerset Water-Gatestairs, Strand.†

Somersetstreet, Whitechapel.

Sommer’skey, near Thames street.†

Sommer’srents, Old Gravel Lane, Ratcliff Highway.†

Sommer’sstreet, Hockley in the Hole.†

Sopeyard, Harrow Corner Deadman’s Place.

Sopemakers, a fraternity incorporated by letters patent granted by King Charles I. in the year 1638. This company is governed by a master, two wardens, and eighteen assistants; they have however neither livery nor hall, and therefore, manage their affairs in Guildhall.

Soper’salley, Whitecross street, Cripplegate.†

Soper’syard, Harrow Corner, Deadman’s Place.†

Southamptonbuildings, 1. Chancery Lane: 2. in High Holbourn, where the Bishop of Lincoln had his city mansion; but that edifice afterwards coming to the Earls of Southampton, it was taken down, and on the site thereof was erected the above buildings.Stow’s Survey.

Southamptoncourt, 1. Southampton Buildings: 2. Southampton row.

Southamptonrow, Queen’s square, Bloomsbury.

Southamptonstreet, 1. High Holbourn: 2. in the Strand.

Southampton’s Almshouse, near Monmouth street. The ground upon which this house stands, together with a piece of ground adjoining, were granted by lease to the parish of St. Giles’s in the Fields, by the Earl of Southampton, in the year 1656, for the use of the poor, for the term of five hundred years. And towards the support of twenty poor inhabitants, Henry Carter, in the year 1674, gave the sum of 50l.the profits whereof to be destributed among them, out of which, and the produce of the ground which is now built upon, each of the poor women have an allowance of 2l.8s.and twelve bushels of coals annually. They also receive out of the Lady Dudly’s gift at Christmas and Whitsuntide 20s.Maitland.

Southmoultonrow, David street.

Southmoultonstreet, Hanover square.

South Seaalley, in the Mint, Southwark.

South Sea Company. This company had the following origin: in the glorious and successful war against France, in the reign of Queen Anne, due care was not taken of the regular payment of seamen employedin the royal navy; for those necessitous and useful men, had tickets granted them instead of pay; which they were frequently obliged to get discounted at 40l.and sometimes 50l.per cent.to avaricious men, who taking advantage of the necessities of those brave fellows, raised great estates upon their ruin.

The debt due from the government upon this and other accounts unprovided for by parliament, amounted to 9,177,967l.15s.4d.and these people taking it into their hands, were incorporated by act of parliament in the year 1710; the following year the company, after the discharge of the debt due to them from the government, was made perpetual; and in 1714, lending the government an additional sum of 822,032l.4s.8d.the capital of the company was, by act of parliament, enlarged to ten millions; for which the members received sixper cent.interest, or 600,000l.per annum.

But in 1720 an act of parliament was passed, by which the company were granted the sole privilege of trading to the South Seas within certain limits, and enabled to increase their capital, by redeeming several of the public debts, but by the arts used on this occasion the capital stock of the company was soon raised tothirty-three millions, five hundred and forty-three thousand, two hundred and sixty-three pounds. It would take up too much room were we to enter here into an account of the measures by which this iniquitous scheme was carried on; many wealthy persons lost their estates, and others acquired immense fortunes; and, in short, a considerable number of the directors, were obliged by parliament to refund their ill-gotten treasures.

By an act passed in the sixth year of the reign of his present Majesty, it was enacted, that after the 24th of June 1733, the capital stock of the company, which then amounted to 14,651,103l.8s.1d.and the shares of the respective proprietors, should be divided into four equal parts, three fourths of which should be converted into a joint stock, attended with annuities, after the rate of 4per cent.till redemption by parliament, and should be called the new South Sea annuities, and the other fourth part should remain in the company as a trading capital stock, attended with the residue of the annuities or funds payable at the Exchequer to the company till redemption, and that the company’s accomptant should twice every year, at Christmas and Midsummer, or within one month after, statean account of the company’s affairs, which should be laid before the next general court, in order to their declaring a dividend, but that such dividend should not exceed 4l.per cent. per annum, till their debts were discharged. That the South Sea company, and their trading stock should, exclusively from the new joint stock of annuities, be liable to all the debts and incumbrances of the company; and that the company should cause to be kept within the city of London, an office, and books, in which all transfers of the new annuities, should be entered and signed by the party making such transfer, or his attorney; and the person to whom such transfer should be made, or his attorney, should underwrite his acceptance, and no other method of transferring annuities should be good in law. The annuities of this company are some of them reduced to 3l.10s.per cent.and others to 3l.

It is necessary to observe with respect to this company, that they have never carried on any considerable trade; however by the assiento contract they had for some years the privilege of furnishing the Spaniards with negroe slaves for their mines and plantations in America, and of sending a large ship annually with Europeangoods, consisting chiefly of our woollen manufactures, to the Spanish West Indies; and for nine years they annually sent a small number of ships to fish for Whales on the coast of Greenland. As they have now no trade, they only receive interest for their capital, which is in the hands of the government, and also 8000l.a year out of the treasury, towards the expence attending the management of their affairs.

The hours of payment of dividends are from nine o’clock till eleven, and the hours of transfer from twelve o’clock till one.

The days of transferring South Sea stock are Monday and Friday.

Old annuities Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

New annuities Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Threeper cent.1751, Tuesday and Thursday. Except on holidays, which are in general the same as at the Bank.

The business of this company is managed by a governor, subgovernor, deputy governor, and twenty-one directors, annually chosen before the 6th of February, by a majority of votes: such members of the company as have 1000l.in the capital stock in their own names, having onevote; such as have 3000l.two votes; such as have 5000l.three votes, and such as have 10,000l.stock or more, four votes, and none above: but no person can be governor, subgovernor, deputy governor, or director, while governor, deputy governor, or director of the bank of England.

S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.South Sea House.

S. Wale delin.J. Fougeron sculp.South Sea House.

South Sea House, a very neat brick building at the north-west corner of Threadneedle street, opposite the church of St. Martin’s Outwich. In this building the South Sea company transact their affairs.

The front is very large and plain, and is a modern edifice with stone copings, rustic quoins, and window cases. The entrance has no relation to it, and is much too fine and principal, a fault not often committed, but is only so by being in the extreme; over the entrance is raised a handsome well proportioned window, ornamented with rustic work, in conformity to the angles of the building, and crowned with a pediment: and on the inside of the gate is a handsome square court, surrounded with a piazza formed by columns of the Doric order.

South Seacourt, Lumbard street.

South Seapassage, Broad street, leading through the South Sea house into Threadneedle street.

South Seayard, Threadneedle street.☐

Southstreet, 1. Audley street 2. Spitalfields market.§

South-Westyard, Spitalfields market.§

Southwark, a considerable part of this great metropolis on the south side of the Thames, consists of the parishes of St. Olave, St. Saviour, St. George and St. Thomas, and for its extent and number of inhabitants is inferior to few cities in England.

It is mentioned in history in the year 1052, when Earl Godwin arrived there with a powerful fleet, and having cast anchor till the return of the tide, passed London Bridge without opposition, in order to engage the royal navy, which consisted of fifty ships of war, and then lay opposite to Westminster; but matters being accommodated between the King and Earl Godwin, the latter returned, and repassed the bridge, which was then of wood.

Southwark was governed by its own bailiffs till the year 1327. The city however found great inconveniences from its neighbourhood, malifactors escaping thither out of the reach and cognizance of the city magistrates. This made the city long desirous of getting Southwark under her subjection, and a grant wasmade of that town to the city in the last mentioned period, when the mayor of London was constituted bailiff of Southwark, and impowered to govern it by his deputy.

The inhabitants some time after recovered their former privileges; but in the fourth year of the reign of Edward VI. the crown granted it to the city of London for the sum of 647l.2s.1d.and within about a month after the passing of that patent, in consideration of the farther sum of 500 marks, paid to the crown by the city, Southwark was made one of the city wards, named Bridge Ward without, when the number of the aldermen being increased from twenty-five to twenty-six, a new one was chosen to govern that borough: In virtue of the above grant, Southwark has ever since been subject to the Lord Mayor, who has under him a steward and bailiff, the former of whom holds a court of record every Monday at St. Margaret’s hill, for all debts, damages, and trespasses, within his limits, and the Lord Mayor proclaims Southwark fair on the 19th of September.

There are five prisons in Southwark, the King’s Bench, just finished in St. George’s fields; the Marshalsea; the New prison, which is thecounty jail for felons; the Clinke, and the Compter: and also two hospitals, that of St. Thomas, and Guy’s. All which see under their respective names. And for the most remarkable passages in the history of this borough, see the articleLondon.

Southwick’srents, Bett’s street.†

Spark’scourt, Duke’s place, Aldgate.

Sparrow’s Nestyard, Oxford street.

Spawfield, a field near the New-river-head, Islington road: so called from a famous mineral spring.

Spectaclemakers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King Charles I. in the year 1630.

They are governed by a master, two wardens and fifteen assistants; but have neither livery nor hall.

Spectaclesalley, Shoe lane, Fleet street.*

Mr. Spencer’s. SeeGreen-park.

Spicerstreet, Brick lane Spitalfields.†

Spingel’salley, Cable street, Ragfair.†

Spinnersyard, Windmill hill.†

Spitalley, St. Giles’s pound.

Spitalfields, a place of very considerable extent on the east side of Bishopsgate street, formerly fields belonging to St. Mary Spital; but now formed into a great number of streets, lanes, and alleys,wherein the weaving business is carried to the greatest perfection by the descendents of French refugees, especially silks, and the richest brocades.

Spitalfieldsmarket, by Spitalfields church, is a very great market chiefly for roots and greens.

Spitalsquare, Bishopsgate street without.

Spital Squarepassage, Lamb street, Spitalfields.

Spitalstreet, Pelham street, Spitalfields.

Sprat’s Almshouse, in College church-yard, Deadman’s place, Southwark, was founded by Mr. Henry Sprat, in the year 1709, for two poor old men, who have an allowance of 4l.per annum, each.

Spread Eaglealley, 1. Kingsland road.* 2. Whitechapel.*

Spread Eaglecourt, 1. Bread street, Cheapside.* 2. Church lane, Rotherhith.* 3. Gray’s Inn lane, Holbourn.* 4. Hand alley, Petticoat lane.* 5. Kingsland road.* 6. Threadneedle street.*

Spread Eagleyard, Kingsland road.*

Spring Garden, Charing cross.

Spring Gardenmews, Spring Garden.

Springstreet, Fox lane, Upper Shadwell: 2. Middle Shadwell.

Spurinn yard, St. Margaret’s Hill.*

Spurstreet, Leicester Fields.*

Spurstowe’s Almshouse, in Back lane, Hackney, was founded by Mr. William Spurstowe, in the year 1666; but dying before it was endowed, his brother Henry, settled lands upon it, for the payment of 4l.per annum, to each of the six poor widows therein.Maitland.

Squirrelalley, in the Minories.*

Squirries, a fine seat near Westerham. See the articleWesterham.

Stableyard, 1. Jockey Fields, near Grays Inn: 2. St. James’s street Pallmall: 3. Northumberland alley, Fenchurch street: 4. near Smith’s street, Marsham street: 5. Warner street, Cold Bath Fields.

Stacey’sstreet, Monmouth street.†

Stafford’s Almshouse, at the lower end of Gray’s Inn lane, was founded by Alexander Stafford, Esq; in the year 1633, for four poor men and six women, who have an annual allowance of 6l.and half a chaldron of coals each, besides a coat and gown every other year.

Staffordstreet, Bond street.

Stag’salley, Bedfordbury.*

Staininglane, 1. Maiden lane: 2. near Wood street, Cheapside.

Stains, orStanes, a populous town in Middlesex, situated on the Thames, nineteen miles from London, it obtained its name from the Saxon wordStanaor stone, because there anciently stood a boundary stone in this place to denote the extent of the city of London’s jurisdiction upon the river. It has a bridge over the Thames, and is governed by two constables, and four headboroughs appointed by his Majesty’s steward, on account of its being a lordship belonging to the crown. The church stands alone, at almost half a mile distance from the town.

Stamford Hill, a hill with a small village on its side between Newington, and Tottenham Highcross.

Stamford’sbuildings, Old street.†

Stampcorner, Old street.

Stamp Office, on the west side of Lincoln’s Inn Square, extends from the passage leading to Lincoln’s Inn Fields to near the south-west corner.

This office is under the government of five commissioners who have 400l.a year each. There are besides a receiver general who has 500l.per annum, under whom are four clerks, one who has 100l.a year, and three who have 60l.A secretary, who has 300l.a year, who has four clerks, one of whom has 130l.per annum, another 70l.another 60l.and another 50l.a year. A comptroller, who has 400l.per annum, and has three clerks,one who has 100l.and two others who have 60l.a year each.

The other officers are an accomptant clerk, a sollicitor, a teller of stamps, three inspectors of courts and corporations in the country, and one inspector of courts in town, and also a supervisor of the stamps, each of whom has a salary of 100l.a year. There are likewise a register and comptroller of the apprentice duty, who has 150l.a year; a register of warrants, who has 140l.and a warehouse keeper of stampt goods who has 160l.a year: and besides these there are many inferior officers, who have smaller sallaries.

Stanbury’scourt, Picadilly.

Stanes, a town in Middlesex. SeeStains.

Stangatestairs, Lambeth.

Stangatestreet, Lambeth.

Stanhope’scourt, Charing Cross.†

Stanhope’sstreet, Clare Market.†

Stanley’syard, Stony lane.†

Stanbury’scourt, Picadilly.†

Stanton’srents, Rotherhith Wall.†

Stanton’sWharf, near Stony lane, Southwark.†

Staplescourt, Beck street.†

Staples Inn, one of the inns of chancery, is seated on the south side of Holbourn,near the bars, and consists of two large courts surrounded with good buildings.

Staplesrents, Love lane.†

Staralley, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. East Smithfield, Tower Hill.* 3. Fenchurch street.* 4. in the Minories.*

Starcourt, 1. Bread street, Cheapside.* 2. Bread street hill, Thames street.* 3. Butcher Row, Temple Bar.* 4. Castle street.* 5. Chancery lane.* 6. Cheapside.* 7. Compton street.* 8. Cross lane, Parker’s lane.* 9. Great Eastcheap.* 10. Grub street, Fore street.* 11. Little Britain.* 12. London Wall.* 13. in the Minories.* 14. Old Fish street.*

Starstreet, Wapping Wall.*

Staryard, 1. Barnaby street.* 2. Huggen lane, Thames street.* 3. Kingsland road.* 4. Moor lane.*

Starchalley, 1. Greenback, Southwark: 2. Rotten Row, Goswell street.

Starchyard, 1. Back lane, Lambeth: 2. Old Gravel lane.

Starchmakers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King James I. in the year 1622. They are governed by a master, two wardens, and twenty-four assistants, but have neither livery nor hall.

Starling School, on Little Tower Hill, was founded in the year 1673, by Sir SamuelStarling, knt. and alderman, for forty boys, and thirty girls, of the parish of St. Botolph without Aldgate, who are taught reading, writing and arithmetic, and also instructed in the principles of the Christian religion.Maitland.

Stationers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted in the third and fourth of Philip and Mary, in the year 1557. They are governed by a master, two wardens, and thirty-six assistants, with a livery of 280 members, who upon their admission, pay a fine of 20l.

This company has stock of about 15000l.denominated the English stock, which is employed in printing almanacks, hornbooks, primmers, psaltars, and some school books, the sole printing whereof is confirmed to them by letters patent granted by several kings.

This stock consists of twenty whole shares of 320l.each, which are generally possessed by those who are of the court of assistants: the second are forty half shares, of 160l.each, the third are eighty quarter shares, of 80l.each, and the fourth are one hundred and sixty half quarter shares, of 40l.each; all which are divided among those who have fined for or served the office of renter-warden.

Upon the death of any of the married possessors of this stock, the profits arising from his share devolve to his widow, which she enjoys during her widowhood or life: but at the expiration of either, another person is chosen to enjoy the profits of her share; and he is no sooner elected, than he pays the deposit-money to the late widow, her husband, or executors.

The dividends upon the stock are made at Christmas, and increased or decreased according to the expence of the preceding year; however, it is seldom less than 40l.upon a whole share, or 320l.

The master and wardens of the company are always in the direction of the stock, to whom are joined six other members annually elected; who adjust all accounts relating to it, and at Christmas report the state thereof to the board, who regulate the dividends accordingly.

The stationers company have also a share in the Irish estate, and other considerable estates, out of which they pay about 300l.per annumin pensions, and other charities.Maitland.

Stationers Hall, a spacious brick building near Amen Corner. There is an ascent to it by a flight of steps, and the light is thrown in by two series of windows,the lower large and upright, and the upper of an elliptical form. Underneath it, and at the north end are the warehouses for the company’s stock. This hall has but few ornaments; but it is however extremely convenient.

Stationerscourt, in which stationers hall is placed, has three passages into it one from Ludgate street; one from Ave Mary lane, and one from Amen Corner. This court, and the passages into it, are inhabited by eminent booksellers.

Staymakersalley, Booth street, Spitalfields.

Stebbing’srents, Portpool lane, Leather lane, Holbourn.†

Steedwellstreet, Hog lane, St. Giles’s.†

Steel’scourt, Bread street, Cheapside.†

Steelyard, in Thames street above the Bridge. Here was originally the hall of the Anseatic merchants, and the warehouses where they used to stow their steel, flax, hemp, pitch, tar, masts, cables, linen cloth, wheat, rye and other grain. And in this place are still large warehouses for iron, in bars, &c.

Steelyard stairs, by the Steel yard.

Steelyard wharf, at the end of the Steel yard.

Steep’sgarden, Kent street, near St. George’s church, Southwark.

St.Stephen’schapel, at the south-east corner of Westminster hall, was founded by King Stephen, who dedicated it to St. Stephen the Proto martyr. SeeHouse ofCommons.

St.Stephen’sColeman street, is situated on the west side of that street, and in the ward of the same name. It is of great antiquity, and was originally a chapel belonging to the dean and chapter of St. Paul’s, who between the years 1171, and 1181, granted the church of St. Olave Jewry, together with this chapel, as an appendage to it, to the prior and abbot of Butley in Suffolk.

This chapel was made parochial in the year 1456, but continued under the patronage of the prior and canons of Butley, till the suppression of that convent, when it came to the crown. However in the year 1577, Queen Elizabeth granted the patronage, together with the church and rectory to Thomas Paskins and others, and in 1590 to William Daniel, serjeant at law, and other parishioners; which rectory impropriate, and right of advowson, have been held by the parish in fee farm of the crown ever since.Newc. Repert. Eccless.

This church sharing the common fate in the dreadful fire of London, thepresent structure was erected in its stead about four years after. It is a plain and solid building strengthened with rustic at the corners, and enlightened by one series of large windows. The steeple is a square tower crowned with a lanthorn which has four faces.

The rector, besides several annual donations, and other advantages, receives 110l.per annum.

Mr. Munday, in his edition of Stow’s Survey, mentions several monumental inscriptions in this church, among which are the following.

1. Our life is all but death; time that ensueth,Is but the death of time that went before:Youth is the death of childhood; age of youth.Die once to God, and then thou diest no more.

1. Our life is all but death; time that ensueth,Is but the death of time that went before:Youth is the death of childhood; age of youth.Die once to God, and then thou diest no more.

1. Our life is all but death; time that ensueth,Is but the death of time that went before:Youth is the death of childhood; age of youth.Die once to God, and then thou diest no more.

1. Our life is all but death; time that ensueth,Is but the death of time that went before:Youth is the death of childhood; age of youth.Die once to God, and then thou diest no more.

1. Our life is all but death; time that ensueth,

Is but the death of time that went before:

Youth is the death of childhood; age of youth.

Die once to God, and then thou diest no more.

2. Agnes, the wife of Leonard Darr, whose sight,By sickness much impair’d, in heav’nly light,Look’d, liv’d and died, as dimness her were giv’n,That her soul’s eyes might better look to heav’n.

2. Agnes, the wife of Leonard Darr, whose sight,By sickness much impair’d, in heav’nly light,Look’d, liv’d and died, as dimness her were giv’n,That her soul’s eyes might better look to heav’n.

2. Agnes, the wife of Leonard Darr, whose sight,By sickness much impair’d, in heav’nly light,Look’d, liv’d and died, as dimness her were giv’n,That her soul’s eyes might better look to heav’n.

2. Agnes, the wife of Leonard Darr, whose sight,By sickness much impair’d, in heav’nly light,Look’d, liv’d and died, as dimness her were giv’n,That her soul’s eyes might better look to heav’n.

2. Agnes, the wife of Leonard Darr, whose sight,

By sickness much impair’d, in heav’nly light,

Look’d, liv’d and died, as dimness her were giv’n,

That her soul’s eyes might better look to heav’n.

In this church Munday himself lies, and on his monument is the following inscription.

3. To the Memory of that ancient servant to thecity with his pen in divers employments, especiallytheSurvey of London, masterAnthony Munday,citizen and draper of London.

3. To the Memory of that ancient servant to thecity with his pen in divers employments, especiallytheSurvey of London, masterAnthony Munday,citizen and draper of London.

3. To the Memory of that ancient servant to thecity with his pen in divers employments, especiallytheSurvey of London, masterAnthony Munday,citizen and draper of London.

3. To the Memory of that ancient servant to thecity with his pen in divers employments, especiallytheSurvey of London, masterAnthony Munday,citizen and draper of London.

3. To the Memory of that ancient servant to the

city with his pen in divers employments, especially

theSurvey of London, masterAnthony Munday,

citizen and draper of London.

He that hath many an antient Tombstone read,(I’th’ labour seeming more among the deadTo live, than with the living) that survey’dObstruse antiquities, and o’er them laidSuch vive and beauteous colours with his pen,That (spite of time) those old are new again,Under this marble lies interr’d; his tombClaiming (as worthily it may) this room,Among those many monuments his quillHas so reviv’d, helping now to fillA place (with those) in his Survey; in whichHe has a monument, more fair, more richThan polish’d stones could make him, where he lies,Though dead, still living, and in that ne’er dies.

He that hath many an antient Tombstone read,(I’th’ labour seeming more among the deadTo live, than with the living) that survey’dObstruse antiquities, and o’er them laidSuch vive and beauteous colours with his pen,That (spite of time) those old are new again,Under this marble lies interr’d; his tombClaiming (as worthily it may) this room,Among those many monuments his quillHas so reviv’d, helping now to fillA place (with those) in his Survey; in whichHe has a monument, more fair, more richThan polish’d stones could make him, where he lies,Though dead, still living, and in that ne’er dies.

He that hath many an antient Tombstone read,(I’th’ labour seeming more among the deadTo live, than with the living) that survey’dObstruse antiquities, and o’er them laidSuch vive and beauteous colours with his pen,That (spite of time) those old are new again,Under this marble lies interr’d; his tombClaiming (as worthily it may) this room,Among those many monuments his quillHas so reviv’d, helping now to fillA place (with those) in his Survey; in whichHe has a monument, more fair, more richThan polish’d stones could make him, where he lies,Though dead, still living, and in that ne’er dies.

He that hath many an antient Tombstone read,(I’th’ labour seeming more among the deadTo live, than with the living) that survey’dObstruse antiquities, and o’er them laidSuch vive and beauteous colours with his pen,That (spite of time) those old are new again,Under this marble lies interr’d; his tombClaiming (as worthily it may) this room,Among those many monuments his quillHas so reviv’d, helping now to fillA place (with those) in his Survey; in whichHe has a monument, more fair, more richThan polish’d stones could make him, where he lies,Though dead, still living, and in that ne’er dies.

He that hath many an antient Tombstone read,

(I’th’ labour seeming more among the dead

To live, than with the living) that survey’d

Obstruse antiquities, and o’er them laid

Such vive and beauteous colours with his pen,

That (spite of time) those old are new again,

Under this marble lies interr’d; his tomb

Claiming (as worthily it may) this room,

Among those many monuments his quill

Has so reviv’d, helping now to fill

A place (with those) in his Survey; in which

He has a monument, more fair, more rich

Than polish’d stones could make him, where he lies,

Though dead, still living, and in that ne’er dies.

St.Stephen’s Hospital, situated in the Woolstaple at Westminster, was founded by Henry VIII. in the year 1544, for eight maimed soldiers, who have each a convenient room, and an allowance of 5l.per annumout of the Exchequer.

St.Stephen’sWalbrook, behind the Mansion-house of the Lord Mayor, in Walbrook ward. We read of a church near the same spot dedicated to the same patron so early as the year 1135; but it then stood on the other side of the street. However about the year 1428, Robert Chichely, Mayor of London, purchased the ground of the present church and cemetry of the Grocers company, and the first stone of the new structure was laid in 1429; but the work advanced so slowly, that it was not finished, till the year 1439.

The old structure was destroyed by the fire of London in the year 1666, and the present noble edifice was erected in its place by the great Sir Christopher Wren. The steeple rises square to a considerable height, and is then surrounded with a balustrade, within which rises a very light and elegant tower in two stages, the first adorned with Corinthian, and the second with Composite columns, and covered with a dome, whence rises the vane.

The outside of the church is plain and void of ornament, but in the center of the roof is a large dome; which cannot be seen to advantage, on account of its being in a manner hid by the Mansion-house. The principal beauties of this justly admired edifice are on the inside; where this dome, which is spacious and noble, is finely proportioned to the church, and divided into small compartments decorated with great elegance, and crowned with a lanthorn, while the roof, which is also divided into compartments, is supported by very noble Corinthian columns, raised on their pedestals. It has three isles and a cross isle; is seventy-five feet in length, and thirty-six in breadth, the height of the middle roof is thirty-four feet, and of the cupola andlanthorn fifty-eight feet. On the sides under the lower roofs are only circular windows, but those which enlighten the upper roof are small arched ones; and at the east end are three very noble arched windows.

In the opinion of some persons this is Sir Christopher Wren’s masterpiece. It is even thought that Italy itself can produce no modern structure equal to this in taste, proportion, elegance and beauty. It is certain that foreigners, to whom it is well known, might very justly call our judgments in question, were we not to allow it as high a degree both of merit and fame as they have bestowed upon it. It is one of the happy productions of Sir Christopher Wren’s great genius without a strict observance of the rules of art. It has a very striking effect at entering, every part coming at once to your eye, except the bases of the columns, which are injudiciously eclipsed by the carving on the top of the pews (these are not represented in the print) and was not the design of the architect. The outside is now in part hid by the Mansion house. The plate also represents a plan and section.

To this church that of St. Bennet Sherehog is annexed, whereby the profits of the rector are much increased: besides other advantages, he receives 100l.a year in lieu of tithes.

S. Wale delin.E. Rooker sculp.StStephen’s Walbrook

S. Wale delin.E. Rooker sculp.StStephen’s Walbrook

Stepney, a very ancient village near London; but as it not joined to it by contiguous buildings, we shall not, after the example of some of our late compilers, represent it as a part of this metropolis.

This parish was of such a vast extent, and so amazingly increased in buildings, as to produce the parishes of St. Mary Stratford at Bow, St. Mary Whitechapel, St. Ann’s Limehouse, St. John’s at Wapping, St. Paul’s Shadwell, St. George’s Ratcliff Highway, Christ Church Spitalfields, and St. Matthew’s Bethnal Green; all which have been separated from it, and yet it still remains one of the largest parishes within the bills of mortality, and contains the hamlets of Mile-end, Old and New Towns, Ratcliff and Poplar.

The village of Stepney, is remarkable for its church, and the great number of tombstones, both in that edifice and its spacious cemetry. It has also an independant meeting-house, and an almshouse. The village, however, is but small, and consists of few houses besides those of public entertainment; vast crowds of people of both sexes resorting thither on Sundays, and at Easter and Whitsun holidays,to eat Stepney buns, and to regale themselves with ale, cyder,&c.

There was a church here so long ago as the time of the Saxons, when it was called the church of all Saints,Ecclesia omnium Sanctorum, and we read of the manor of Stepney under the reign of William the Conqueror, by the name ofStibenhede, or Stiben’s-heath; but it does not appear when the church changed its name by being dedicated to St. Dunstan, the name it at present bears. To this church belong both a rectory and vicarage; the former, which was a sinecure, was in the gift of the bishop of London, and the latter, in the gift of the rector, till Ridley, bishop of London, gave the manor of Stepney, and the advowson of the church to Edward VI. who, in his turn, granted them to Sir Thomas Wentworth, Lord Chamberlain of his houshold. But the advowson being afterwards purchased by the principal and scholars of King’s Hall and Brazen-Nose college in Oxford, they presented two persons to the rectory and vicarage by the name of the Portionists of Ratcliff and Spitalfields, till the year 1744, when the hamlet of Bethnal Green being separated from it, and made a new parish by act ofparliament, Stepney became possessed by only one rector.

As this is at present a rectory impropriate, the above principal and scholars receive the great tithes, and the incumbent the small, together with Easter offerings, garden pennies, and surplice fees, which are very considerable.Newc. Repert. Eccles.

When the present church was erected is not recorded; the wall and battlements are built of brick and wrought stone, plastered over; and the roof is covered with lead. It is of a very considerable extent, for it is an hundred and four feet long, though it is no more than fifty-four broad; the height of the roof is thirty-five feet, and that of the tower, with its turret, ninety-two feet. The pillars, arches and windows, are of the modern Gothic, and the west porch, built in 1610, has no resemblance to the rest of the building, it being of the Tuscan order. The tower, which is plain and heavy, is supported at the corners by a kind of double buttresses; it is crowned with square plain battlements, without pinnacles, and with a small mean turret; and the same kind of battlements are carried round the body of the church.

On the inside are three galleries and an organ, and the altar-piece is adorned with four Corinthian pilasters, with their entablature and a pediment; these have gilt capitals; with the arms of Queen Anne carved: but what is most singular is a stone on the east side of the portico, leading up to the gallery, on which is the following inscription.

Of Carthage great I was a stone,O mortals read with pity!Time consumes all, it spareth none,Men, mountains, towns, nor city:Therefore O mortals! all bethinkYou where unto you must,Since now such stately buildingsLie buried in the dust.

Of Carthage great I was a stone,O mortals read with pity!Time consumes all, it spareth none,Men, mountains, towns, nor city:Therefore O mortals! all bethinkYou where unto you must,Since now such stately buildingsLie buried in the dust.

Of Carthage great I was a stone,O mortals read with pity!Time consumes all, it spareth none,Men, mountains, towns, nor city:Therefore O mortals! all bethinkYou where unto you must,Since now such stately buildingsLie buried in the dust.

Of Carthage great I was a stone,O mortals read with pity!Time consumes all, it spareth none,Men, mountains, towns, nor city:Therefore O mortals! all bethinkYou where unto you must,Since now such stately buildingsLie buried in the dust.

Of Carthage great I was a stone,

O mortals read with pity!

Time consumes all, it spareth none,

Men, mountains, towns, nor city:

Therefore O mortals! all bethink

You where unto you must,

Since now such stately buildings

Lie buried in the dust.

It is probable this stone was really brought from Carthage, otherwise this inscription would scarcely be permitted to be there; but as a modern author observes, it is to be hoped, that he who ordered it to be fixed there, did not go to Carthage on purpose to fetch it.

At the east end of the church-yard near the church is a monument of white marble, adorned with a cherub, urn, palm-branches and a coat of arms, under which is the following inscription:

Here lieth interred the body of Dame Rebecca Berry, the wife of ThomasElton of Stratford Bow, gent. who departed this life April 16, 1696, aged 52.

Here lieth interred the body of Dame Rebecca Berry, the wife of ThomasElton of Stratford Bow, gent. who departed this life April 16, 1696, aged 52.

Come ladies, you that would appearLike angels fair, come dress you here;Come dress you at this marble stoneAnd make that humble Grace your own,Which once adorn’d as fair a mind,As e’er yet lodg’d in womankind.So she was dress’d, whose humble lifeWas free from pride, was free from strife:Free from all envious brawls and jars(Of human life the civil wars)These ne’er disturb’d her peaceful mind,Which still was gentle, still was kind.Her very looks, her garb, her mien,Disclos’d the humble soul within.Trace her through ev’ry scene of life,View her as widow, virgin, wife,Still the same humble she appears,The same in youth, the same in years;The same in low and high estate,Ne’er vex’d with this, ne’er mov’d with that.Go, Ladies, now, and if you’d be     }As fair, as great, as good as she,       }Go learn of her humility.                  }

Come ladies, you that would appearLike angels fair, come dress you here;Come dress you at this marble stoneAnd make that humble Grace your own,Which once adorn’d as fair a mind,As e’er yet lodg’d in womankind.So she was dress’d, whose humble lifeWas free from pride, was free from strife:Free from all envious brawls and jars(Of human life the civil wars)These ne’er disturb’d her peaceful mind,Which still was gentle, still was kind.Her very looks, her garb, her mien,Disclos’d the humble soul within.Trace her through ev’ry scene of life,View her as widow, virgin, wife,Still the same humble she appears,The same in youth, the same in years;The same in low and high estate,Ne’er vex’d with this, ne’er mov’d with that.Go, Ladies, now, and if you’d be     }As fair, as great, as good as she,       }Go learn of her humility.                  }

Come ladies, you that would appearLike angels fair, come dress you here;Come dress you at this marble stoneAnd make that humble Grace your own,Which once adorn’d as fair a mind,As e’er yet lodg’d in womankind.So she was dress’d, whose humble lifeWas free from pride, was free from strife:Free from all envious brawls and jars(Of human life the civil wars)These ne’er disturb’d her peaceful mind,Which still was gentle, still was kind.Her very looks, her garb, her mien,Disclos’d the humble soul within.Trace her through ev’ry scene of life,View her as widow, virgin, wife,Still the same humble she appears,The same in youth, the same in years;The same in low and high estate,Ne’er vex’d with this, ne’er mov’d with that.Go, Ladies, now, and if you’d be     }As fair, as great, as good as she,       }Go learn of her humility.                  }

Come ladies, you that would appearLike angels fair, come dress you here;Come dress you at this marble stoneAnd make that humble Grace your own,Which once adorn’d as fair a mind,As e’er yet lodg’d in womankind.So she was dress’d, whose humble lifeWas free from pride, was free from strife:Free from all envious brawls and jars(Of human life the civil wars)These ne’er disturb’d her peaceful mind,Which still was gentle, still was kind.Her very looks, her garb, her mien,Disclos’d the humble soul within.Trace her through ev’ry scene of life,View her as widow, virgin, wife,Still the same humble she appears,The same in youth, the same in years;The same in low and high estate,Ne’er vex’d with this, ne’er mov’d with that.Go, Ladies, now, and if you’d be     }As fair, as great, as good as she,       }Go learn of her humility.                  }

Come ladies, you that would appear

Like angels fair, come dress you here;

Come dress you at this marble stone

And make that humble Grace your own,

Which once adorn’d as fair a mind,

As e’er yet lodg’d in womankind.

So she was dress’d, whose humble life

Was free from pride, was free from strife:

Free from all envious brawls and jars

(Of human life the civil wars)

These ne’er disturb’d her peaceful mind,

Which still was gentle, still was kind.

Her very looks, her garb, her mien,

Disclos’d the humble soul within.

Trace her through ev’ry scene of life,

View her as widow, virgin, wife,

Still the same humble she appears,

The same in youth, the same in years;

The same in low and high estate,

Ne’er vex’d with this, ne’er mov’d with that.

Go, Ladies, now, and if you’d be     }

As fair, as great, as good as she,       }

Go learn of her humility.                  }

On another grave-stone near the south-east corner of the church-yard, is the following inscription on Mary Angel:


Back to IndexNext