To say an angel here interr’d doth lie,May be thought strange, for angels never die.Indeed some fell from heav’n to hell.Are lost, and rise no more:This only fell by death to earth,Not lost but gone before.Her dust lodg’d here, her soul perfect in grace,’Mongst saints and angels now hath took its place.
To say an angel here interr’d doth lie,May be thought strange, for angels never die.Indeed some fell from heav’n to hell.Are lost, and rise no more:This only fell by death to earth,Not lost but gone before.Her dust lodg’d here, her soul perfect in grace,’Mongst saints and angels now hath took its place.
To say an angel here interr’d doth lie,May be thought strange, for angels never die.Indeed some fell from heav’n to hell.Are lost, and rise no more:This only fell by death to earth,Not lost but gone before.Her dust lodg’d here, her soul perfect in grace,’Mongst saints and angels now hath took its place.
To say an angel here interr’d doth lie,May be thought strange, for angels never die.Indeed some fell from heav’n to hell.Are lost, and rise no more:This only fell by death to earth,Not lost but gone before.Her dust lodg’d here, her soul perfect in grace,’Mongst saints and angels now hath took its place.
To say an angel here interr’d doth lie,
May be thought strange, for angels never die.
Indeed some fell from heav’n to hell.
Are lost, and rise no more:
This only fell by death to earth,
Not lost but gone before.
Her dust lodg’d here, her soul perfect in grace,
’Mongst saints and angels now hath took its place.
Near the south side of the church on a marble tomb-stone, adorned with a coat of arms, are the following lines on capt. Thomas Chevers, his wife, and a son who died at five days old.
Reader, consider well how poor a span,And how uncertain is the life of man:Here lie the husband, wife, and child, by deathAll three in five days time deprived of breath.The child dies first, the mother on the morrowFollows, and then the father dies with sorrow.A Cæsar falls by many wounds, well mayTwo stabs at heart the stoutest captain slay.
Reader, consider well how poor a span,And how uncertain is the life of man:Here lie the husband, wife, and child, by deathAll three in five days time deprived of breath.The child dies first, the mother on the morrowFollows, and then the father dies with sorrow.A Cæsar falls by many wounds, well mayTwo stabs at heart the stoutest captain slay.
Reader, consider well how poor a span,And how uncertain is the life of man:Here lie the husband, wife, and child, by deathAll three in five days time deprived of breath.The child dies first, the mother on the morrowFollows, and then the father dies with sorrow.A Cæsar falls by many wounds, well mayTwo stabs at heart the stoutest captain slay.
Reader, consider well how poor a span,And how uncertain is the life of man:Here lie the husband, wife, and child, by deathAll three in five days time deprived of breath.The child dies first, the mother on the morrowFollows, and then the father dies with sorrow.A Cæsar falls by many wounds, well mayTwo stabs at heart the stoutest captain slay.
Reader, consider well how poor a span,
And how uncertain is the life of man:
Here lie the husband, wife, and child, by death
All three in five days time deprived of breath.
The child dies first, the mother on the morrow
Follows, and then the father dies with sorrow.
A Cæsar falls by many wounds, well may
Two stabs at heart the stoutest captain slay.
On a stone near the foot path on the north-west side, is the following inscription:
Whoever treadeth on this stone,I pray you tread most neatly,For underneath the same doth lyeYour honest friend Will. Wheatly.
Whoever treadeth on this stone,I pray you tread most neatly,For underneath the same doth lyeYour honest friend Will. Wheatly.
Whoever treadeth on this stone,I pray you tread most neatly,For underneath the same doth lyeYour honest friend Will. Wheatly.
Whoever treadeth on this stone,I pray you tread most neatly,For underneath the same doth lyeYour honest friend Will. Wheatly.
Whoever treadeth on this stone,
I pray you tread most neatly,
For underneath the same doth lye
Your honest friend Will. Wheatly.
The last inscription we shall mention is the following short one on the south-west side of the church.
Here lies the body of Daniel Saul,Spittlefields weaver, and that is all.
Here lies the body of Daniel Saul,Spittlefields weaver, and that is all.
Here lies the body of Daniel Saul,Spittlefields weaver, and that is all.
Here lies the body of Daniel Saul,Spittlefields weaver, and that is all.
Here lies the body of Daniel Saul,
Spittlefields weaver, and that is all.
Stepneycauseway, Whitehorse lane.☐
Stepneygreen, Stepney.☐
Stepneyrents, Shoreditch.☐
Stern’syard, Kent street, Southwark.†
Sterry’srents, in the Minories.†
Stevens’salley, Chanel row, New Palace yard.† 2. King’s street, Westminster.†
Stevens’scourt, New Palace yard, Westminster.†
Stevens’syard, Poplar.†
Steward’scourt, Clerkenwell green.†
Steward’srents, Great Wild street.†
Steward’sstreet, Artillery lane, Spitalfields.†
Stewart’s School, for the benefit of twenty poor boys of the parish of St. George Hanover square, was founded and endowed by lieut. general Stewart, who about the year 1728, bequeathed the sum of 500l.for that purpose.Maitland.
Stewlane, High Timber street.
Stews, a number of brothels anciently situated on the Bank-side, Southwark, and licensed by the bishop of Winchester. There were at first eighteen of these houses, but afterwards only twelve were allowed: they stood in a row, and had signs on their fronts towards the Thames, not hung out, but painted on the walls, as the Boar’s Head, the Cross Keys, the Castle, the Cardinal’s Hat, the Bell, the Swan,&c.These houses which were frequently kept by Flemish bawds, were under very strict regulations, among which were the following, confirmedby act of parliament, in the reign of Henry II.
That no stewholder or his wife should hinder any single woman from going and coming as often as she pleased.
That no stewholder should board any single woman; but she should board abroad at her pleasure, and that no more should be taken for the woman’s chamber than 14d.a week.
That the doors should be shut up on all holidays, and no single woman suffered in the house.
That no single woman desirous of forsaking her sins, should be kept against her will.
That no stewholder should receive a nun, or any man’s wife.
That no man should be drawn or inticed into any of these houses, nor any single woman take money for lying with a man, unless he lay all night.
That no stewholder should keep any woman that had the perilous infirmity of burning; [the venereal disease;] nor sell bread, flesh, fish, ale, wood, coals, or any kind of food; and that the constables, bailiffs and others should search every stewhouse weekly.
These and many other orders were to be observed, under the penalty of sufferinggreat pains and punishments; and any woman leading a life of lewdness was forbidden the rights of the church, and denied Christian burial, if she was not reconciled before her death. And therefore there was a plot of ground called the single woman’s church-yard, appointed for these women at a distance from the parish church.
These stews were put down by order of Henry VIII. in the year 1546, when it was proclaimed by sound of trumpet, that this row of stews was no longer to be privileged, and used as a common brothel.Stow’s Survey.
Stichbone’scourt, High Holbourn.†
Stillalley, Bishopsgate street without.* 2. Bluegate field, Upper Shadwell.† 3. George street.* 4. Houndsditch.† 5. Long alley, Moorfields.* 6. New street, St. Thomas’s.* 7. Petticoat lane, Whitechapel.*
Stillstairs, Pickleherring street.*
Stillyard, 1. Liquorpond street, Leather lane.* 2. Maze Pond street, Southwark.* SeeSteelyard.
Stockdon’syard, Vine yard, Horselydown lane.†
Stocking Framealley, Shoreditch.*
Stocks Market, stood at the north-east corner of Walbrook, where the Mansion Houseof the Lord Mayor is now erected. This was made a market about the year 1282, at which time was a pair of stocks there, for the punishment of offenders, the first set up in the city of London.
This market was about 230 feet long from north to south, and about 180 feet broad, besides the room left for passengers on each side. On the east side were planted rows of trees, and on the north were twenty-two stalls covered over for fruit, as well on market days, as at other times. The rest of the market was taken up by gardeners, only at the south-west corner were two ranges of stalls for butchers.
But what was most singular in this market, was, there being placed at the north end, a pretended Equestrian statue of King Charles II. set up at the expence of Sir Robert Viner, alderman, knt. and baronet. This statue was originally made for John Sobieski King of Poland, but, by some accident, was left upon the workman’s hands: about the same time the city was loyal enough to pay their devoirs to King Charles, immediately upon his restoration; and, finding this statue ready made to their hands, resolved to do it the cheapest way, and convert the Polander into a Briton, andthe Turk, underneath his horse, into Oliver Cromwell, to make their compliment compleat. In this very manner it appeared, and the turbant upon the last mentioned figure was an undeniable proof of the truth of the story.
The above statue and all the stalls were removed in the year 1738, in order to lay the foundation of the present Mansion-house.
Stoke Green, a village in Buckinghamshire, a little to the north of Windsor. Sir Thomas Stapleton has here a very handsome house, and large and most beautiful gardens.
In the neighbourhood of this village is Stoke House, which belongs to the Lady Cobham, and is a noble and large edifice, with a pleasant park. Adjoining to the house is the parish church of Stoke, and a neat hospital, built and endowed by —— Countess of Huntingdon, for the support and maintenance of 12 ancient poor people of both sexes.
Stoke Poges, a village so called from the Poges, its ancient Lords, is situated a little to the north of Stoke Green. Here Edward Lord Hastings, in the reign of Queen Mary, erected a chapel and hospital, adorned with a portico supported by pillars, that still remain on the east endof this ancient seat. The entrance to the house, is like that of the Villa Borghese at Rome, by a great hall paved with marble, and adorned with many fine ancient busts of the Roman Emperors, some of marble, some of granate, and others of porphyry, brought from Rome by the late Sir Robert Gayer. At the bottom of this hall is a pretty little chapel paved with marble, seeming to rise like steps. From this hall there is an entrance into a fine park, with seven avenues in the form of a star; from each of which there is a delightful prospect, and from one of them a good view of Windsor Castle.
Stonealley, Broad street, Ratcliff.
Stonecourt, 1. Aldersgate street: 2. St. Catharine’s by the Tower: 3. Lower East Smithfield: 4. New street, Fetter lane.
Stone Cuttersalley, 1. Black Friars: 2. Fleet ditch: 3. Little Queen street: 4. Pallmall.
Stone Cutterscourt, 1. Gutter lane, Cheapside: 2. Old street. 3. Pallmall.
Stone Cutterstreet, next to Harp ally, in the Fleet market.
Stone Cutteryard, 1. Blackman street: 2. Butcher row, Ratcliff: 3. near Castle street: 4. Great stone stairs, Ratcliff: 5. St. Martin’s lane, Charing Cross:6. Kent street, by St. George’s church, Southwark: 7. Millbank, Westminster horse-ferry: 8. Peter’s street: 9. Poor Jewry lane, Aldgate.
Stone’srents, Limehouse.†
Stonestairs, near Ratcliff cross.
Stoneyard, 1. Lower East Smithfield: 2. Tooley street, Southwark.
Stonylane, St. Olave street, Southwark: 2. Old horselydown, Southwark: 3. Petticoat lane.
Stonystreet, near Deadman’s Place, Southwark: 2. Cock lane, Shoreditch.
Storehouseyard, New Rag Fair, East Smithfield.
Storey’spassage, andStorey’sgate, by Storey’s coffee-house; both removed in order to extend the view through Great George street into St. James’s Park.†
Straffordstreet, Albemarle street.
Strand, a street which extends from Temple bar to the corner of St. Martin’s lane, Charing cross. Maitland observes that the Strand was anciently a village, which took its name from its being placed on the bank of the Thames, and that its ancient situation was not much higher than that river; as upon digging the foundation of the New church called St. Mary le Strand, the virgin earth was discovered at the depth of nineteen feet.
In this street formerly resided many of the Nobility, whose gardens extended to the Thames, among which there are still remaining Northumberland house, Somerset house, and the ruins of the Savoy.
As this is the grand channel of communication between the city of London and Westminster it would have been a great ornament to both, had it been a spacious, straight and uniform street, without that incumberance which begins at Butcher Row, and ends at the New Church. In this case, the prospect from Temple Bar would have afforded a noble vista, terminated by Charing Cross, and this might have been still enlarged, by letting in the more distant view of the park, through a street of the same breadth with itself.
Strand Bridge, a handsome structure formerly erected a little to the east of Catharine street. It was raised over a brook which ran from the fields, and crossing the Strand fell into the Thames, near Somerset stairs.
Strandbridge, Strand lane.
Strand Bridgestairs, near Strand lane.
Strandlane, a narrow passage leading from the Strand towards the Thames.
Strangeway’sstreet, Saffron hill.†
Stratford Le Bow, a village to the east of Mile-end. See the articleBow.
StratfordorStratford Long-thorn, the first village in Essex, next to London, in the parish of Westham. It had an abbey which together with the church was given by King Henry VIII. to Sir Peter Meautys of Westham. This parish has greatly increased of late years in buildings and inhabitants, every vacancy being in a manner filled up, by the addition of two little new built hamlets, if they may be thus called, on the forest side of the town; these are Maryland Point, and the Gravel Pits, one facing the road to Woodford and Epping, and the other that to Ilford: while the hither part, in spite of rivers, canals, and marshy grounds, is almost joined to Bow.
Stratton’sground, near Tothil Fields, Westminster.†
Stretham, a village in Surry, six miles south-west of London, and three miles to the north of Croydon, used to be much frequented for its medicinal waters. It has a charity school, and a seat belonging to the Duke of Bedford, Lord of the manor.
Stretton’sgrounds, Westminster.†
Stretton’sstreet, 1. Hyde Park Road, from the Lord Berkley of Stretton’s mansion-house. 2. Berkley street, Westminster.†
Strawberrycourt, Tower Royal, near St. Thomas Apostles.
Streud’scourt, St. James’s.†
Stroud’scourt, Leather lane, Holbourn.†
Strumbels, Chelsea.
Strype’syard, Petticoat lane.†
Stubb’srents, 1. Charter house lane.† 2. Saffron hill, near Snow hill.†
Stut’salley, Kent street, near St. George’s church, Southwark.†
Subpæna Office, in Symmond’s Inn Chancery lane. In this office writs are issued to summon persons to appear in Chancery.
Suffolklane, by Little Bush lane, Thames street.
Suffolkstreet, Pallmall: 2. in the Mint Southwark.
Sugarbaker’slane, Duke’s Place, near Aldgate.
Sugarbaker’syard, Duke’s Place.
Sugarhouseyard, Butcher Row.
Sugarloafalley, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. Garlick hill, Thames street.* 3. Mark lane, Fenchurch street.* 4. Moses and Aaron alley, Whitechapel.* 5. Portpool lane, Leather lane.* 6. Wentworth street, Petticoat lane, Spitalfields.*
Sugarloafcourt, 1. Angel alley, Bishopsgate street.* 2. Catharine Wheel alley.* 3. Dorset street.* 4. Garlick hill, Thamesstreet.* 5. Goodman’s yard, Whitechapel.* 6. Halfmoon alley, Bishopsgate street without.* 7. Holiwell street.* 8. Lamb alley, Bishopsgate street.* 9. Leadenhall street.* 10. Little Distaff lane, Old Change.* 11. Little Elbow lane, Thames street.* 12. Moor lane, Cripplegate.* 13. Peter’s street, Hicks’s hall.* 14. Spitalfields.* 15. Wentworth street, Petticoat lane.* 16. Whitecross street, Cripplegate.*
Sugarloafyard, Holiwell lane, Shoreditch.*
Sunalley, 1. Barnaby street, Southwark.* 2. Chick lane, Smithfield.* 3. Cowcross, near Smithfield.* 4. East Smithfield.* 5. Golden lane, Redcross street.* 6. Grub street, Fore street.* 7. St. John’s street, Westminster.* 8. Kent street, Southwark.* 9. King street, Cheapside.* 10. Old Gravel lane, Ratcliff Highway.*
Sun and Gunyard, Narrow street, Limehouse.*
Sun and Ravenyard, Five Feet lane.*
Sun and Trumpetalley, Whitechapel.*
Suncourt, 1. Bow lane, Cheapside.* 2. Cock lane, Shoreditch.* 3. Cornhill.* 4. Deadman’s Place, Southwark.* 5. East Smithfield.* 6. Ivy lane, Newgate street.* 7. King street, Covent garden.* 8. Petticoat lane.* 9. Saffron hill.* 10. Sutton’sstreet, St. John’s street, Smithfield.* 11. Threadneedle street.* 12. Whitechapel.* 13. Wood street, Cheapside.* 14. Sun Dial alley, Moorfields.*
Sun Fire Office, in Threadneedle street, near the Royal Exchange, and in Craig’s court, Charing Cross, for insuring houses and other buildings, goods, wares, and merchandize from loss and damage by fire.
This office, which was the first that attempted the insurance of goods and that of houses beyond the bills of mortality, was according to Maitland projected by Mr. John Povey about the year 1706, who having carried it on for sometime with success, conveyed his right to certain purchasers; who by a deed of settlement of the 7th of April 1710, erected themselves into a society; and that all persons may, with the greater security insure in this office, the proprietors have raised an hundred thousand pounds, as a fund for that purpose.
Insurances may be made in this office on the following terms.
I. All policies shall be signed and sealed by three or more trustees, or acting members: by which policies may be insured houses, and other buildings, houshold furniture, goods, wares, merchandize,and utensils and implements in trade, being the property of the persons insuring; except all manner of writings, books of accompts, bills, bonds, tallies, ready money, jewels, pictures, and gunpowder.
II. Houses, buildings, and goods in trust, and merchandize on commission, (except as aforesaid) may be insured, provided the same are declared in the policy to be in trust or on commission, but not otherwise.
III. On bespeaking policies, all persons are to deposite 7s.6d.for the policy, stamp-duty and mark; and shall pay the premium to the next quarter-day, and from thence for one year more at least, and shall, as long as the managers agree to accept the same, make all future payments annually at the said office, within fifteen days after the day limited by their respective policies, upon forfeiture of the benefit thereof; and no insurance is to take place till the premium be actually paid by the insured, his, her or their agent or agents.
IV. The several heads of insurance are, 1. Common insurances, which are buildings covered with slate, tile, or lead, and built on all sides with brick, or stone; where no hazardous trades are carried on, or hazardous goods and merchandizedeposited. On such houses and goods, any sum not exceeding 200l.is insured for 4s.per annum; any sum from 200l.to 1000l.for 2s.per cent. per annum; and any sum from 1000l.to 3000l.at 2s.6d.per cent. per annum.
2. Hazardous insurances are either timber or plaster buildings, containing goods and merchandize not hazardous; and in which no hazardous trades are carried on: or brick or stone buildings wherein hazardous goods are deposited or hazardous trades carried on. These hazardous trades and goods are apothecaries, chemists, bread and biscuit bakers, colourmen, ship and tallow chandlers, stable-keepers, innholders, malthouses, hemp, flax, tallow, pitch, tar, and turpentine. On such houses and goods this office insures any sum not exceeding 200l.at 6s.per annum: any sum from 200l.to 1000l.at 3s.per cent. per annum; any sum from 1000l.to 2000l.at 4s.per cent. per annum; and any sum from 2000l.to 3000l.at 5s.per cent. per annum.
3. Double hazardous insurances are thatch’d buildings, and goods and merchandize therein; timber or plaster buildings, wherein hazardous goods are deposited, or hazardous trades carried on; and also plate, china, glass, or earthenwares, hay, straw, all manner of fodder, and corn unthrash’d. Such houses and goods are insured upon the following terms, any sum not exceeding 200l.at 10s.per annum; any sum from 200l.to 1000l.at 5s.per cent. per annum; and any sum from 1000l.to 2000l.at 7s.6d.per cent. per annum.
V. Any number of houses, out-houses, with goods or wearing apparel therein may be insured in one policy, provided the sum insured on each is particularly mentioned; but in all insurances the premium is to be paid for even hundred pounds.
If insurances are desired for mills, or for any larger sums than are specified in the above articles; or for any other insurances more hazardous than those already described, as sugarbakers, distillers, or the like; or by reason of the nature of the trade or goods, the narrowness of the place, or other dangerous circumstances, it may be done by special agreement.
VI. To prevent frauds, persons insured by this office shall receive no benefit from their policies, if the same houses or goods are insured in any other office, unless such insurance be first specify’d and allow’d by an indorsement on the back of thepolicy, in which case this office will pay their ratable proportion on any loss or damage; and if any person or persons shall insure his, her, or their houses, goods, wares or merchandize, and shall cause the same to be described in the policy otherwise than as they really are, so as the same be insured at a lower premium than proposed in the table, such insurance shall be of no force nor the person insuring receive any benefit by such policy, in case of any loss or damage.
VII. No loss or damage to be paid on fire happening by any invasion, foreign enemy, civil commotion, or any military or usurped power whatsoever.
VIII. When any person dies, the policy and interest therein shall continue to the heir, executor, or administrator respectively, to whom the right of the premises insured shall belong; provided, before any new payment made, such heir, executor, or administrator, do procure his or her right to be indorsed on the policy at the said office, or the premium be paid in the name of the said heir, executor, or administrator.
IX. Persons changing the habitations or wherehouses, may preserve the benefit of their policies, if the nature and circumstance of such policy is not alter’d; butsuch insurance will be of no force, till such removal or alteration is allow’d at the office by indorsement on the policy. Insurances on buildings and goods are deemed distinct and separate risks; so that the premium on goods is not advanced by reason of any insurance on the building wherein the goods are kept, nor the premium on the buildings by reason of any insurance on the goods.
X. Persons insured, sustaining any loss or damage by fire, are forthwith to give notice thereof at the office, and as soon as possible afterwards deliver in as particular an account of their loss and damage, as the nature of the case will admit of, and make proof of the same by their oath or affirmation, according to the form practis’d in the said office, and by their books of accounts, or other proper vouchers, as shall be reasonably required, and procure a certificate under the hands of the minister and church wardens, together with some other reputable inhabitants of the parish, not concern’d in such loss, importing, that they are well acquainted with the character and circumstances of the person or persons insured, and do know or verily believe, that he, she, or they, really and by misfortune, without any fraud or evilpractice, have sustain’d by such fire, the loss and damage, as his, her, or their loss, to the value therein mention’d; but till such affidavit and certificate of such the insured’s loss shall be made and produced, the loss-money shall not be payable. And if there appear any fraud or false swearing, such sufferers shall be excluded from all benefit by their policies. And in case any difference arise between the office and the insured, touching any loss or damage, such difference shall be submitted to the judgment and determination of arbitrators indifferently chosen, whole award in writing shall be conclusive and binding to all parties: And when any loss or damage is settled and adjusted, the insured are to receive immediate satisfaction for the same, deducting only the usual allowance of 3l.per cent.
N. B.In adjusting losses on houses or goods, no wainscot, or any sculpture or carving-work, is to be valu’d at more than 3s.peryard, or plate at more than 5s.6d.perounce.
XI. No receipts are to be taken for any premiums of insurance, but such as are printed, and issued from the office, and witnessed by one of the clerks or agents of the office.
Persons may insure for any number of years more than one; and in such case, there will be an abatement of 6d.in the poundper annumon the premiums agreed for, for every year except the first: As to instance, in a common insurance of 1000l.for seven years, the premium to be paid by the table will be 7l.from which 6d.in the poundper annumis to be deducted for the last six years, that is, 3s.and 6d.per annum, which amounts to 1l.1s.and reduces the sum to be paid to 5l.19s.and in the same proportion for any other sums or number of years; and persons insuring can never be subject to any calls or contributions to make good losses.
N. B.For the farther encouragement of persons insuring, there are provided several fire engines, and there are also employ’d in the service of the said office, (within the bills of mortality) thirty ablebody’d firemen, cloath’d in blue liveries, having silver badges with the Sun mark upon their arms, and twenty able porters, likewise wearing silver badges with the Sun mark, who are always ready to assist in quenching fires and removing goods, having given bonds for their fidelity: And also, all cities and great townsmay receive assistance and encouragement for purchasing engines and proper machines for putting out fires, upon application to the said office, agreeable to the number of insurances made by this office in such respective cities or great towns. From theproposal delivered by the office inThreadneedlestreet, September 21, 1758.
This office is governed by twenty-four directors, under whom is a secretary, and several clerks.
Sunstreet, Bishopsgate street without.*
Sun Tavernfields, Shadwell.*
Sun Tavernfields lane, Ratcliff.*
Sunyard, 1. Bishopsgate street within.* 2. Blackman street, Southwark.* 3. Bread street, London wall.* 4. Brown street, Bunhill fields.* 5. Ivy lane, Newgate street.* 6. Nightingale lane, East Smithfield.* 7. Stepney rents, Shoreditch.* 8. Swan alley Golden lane.*
Supersedeas Office, in the Poultry Compter. See the articleCompter.
Surgeons, a company incorporated with the barbers by Edward IV. in the year 1461, by the name ofBarbers, who were then the only surgeons; but afterwards others practising surgery, who were not barbers, soon erected themselves into aseparate company commonly called the surgeons of London; but were not incorporated, which the parliament taking into consideration, united them, with the barbers in the thirty-second year of the reign of Henry VIII. exempting those practising surgery from bearing arms, or serving ward and parish offices: by the same act those who practised shaving were enjoined not to meddle with the art of surgery, except drawing of teeth; and those who practised surgery forbid to shave.
In the fifth year of the reign of King Charles I. the surgeons were by letters patent authorised to elect ten of the freemen of that society to be examiners of the surgeons of London during life; and it was ordered, that no person whether a freeman of London, or a foreigner, should practise surgery within the cities of London and Westminster, or within the distance of seven miles of the city of London, without being first examined by two or more of the above examiners, and having authority from the company of barber surgeons to practise the art of surgery: allowing all who were thus approved, to practise surgery in any part of England. It was likewise ordained that no one whether a freeman of thebarber surgeons company, or a foreigner, a native, or alien, should undertake the office of surgeon of any ship, whether in the service of the crown, or of any merchant or others, unless they, and their medicines, instruments and chests, were first examined, inspected and allowed by two such masters or governors of this company.
The surgeons continued thus incorporated with the barbers, under the denomination of barber surgeons, till the year 1745; having the same hall, a very noble structure erected by Inigo Jones, in which is a theatre, wherein dissections were performed and lectures read. At that period the surgeons applying to parliament, observed, that since the two companies had been united, those who had practised surgery have from their constant application to the study of that science, rendered it of great benefit to the nation; while the barbers have been long, and still are employed in a business foreign to, and independent of the practice of surgery, and therefore finding their union with the barbers in many respects inconvenient, and that their separation would greatly contribute to the improvement of surgery, desired that they might be made distinct and separate companies; upon which anact was passed accordingly, and the surgeons incorporated by the name ofthe master, governors and commonalty of the art and science of surgeryof London.
By the above act they were confirmed in the possession of all their former privileges, impowered to chuse a principal, master, or governor, two other governors, or wardens, ten examiners of surgeons, and to have a court of assistants consisting of twenty-one persons. See the articleBarbers.
But their fine hall was however by the same act given to the barbers, on which they erected a theatre in the Old Bailey, which is an elegant, though not an expensive structure. It has a basement story, with square windows. The principal floor is however raised considerably above the level of the street, and there is an ascent to it by a double flight of steps, under which is a door, level with the ground, for the convenience of bringing in dead bodies executed at Tyburn, for dissection. The face of this part is Rustic work. At the height of the steps is a range of Ionic pilasters, within the height of which there are two series of windows, a row of large ones, with square ones above. The entablature of the Ionic pilasters supports a plain Attic course, crowned with vases.
Surrystreet, in the strand.
Sutton’scourt, 1. Bishopsgate street within.† 2. Bishopsgate street without.† 3. Holbourn hill.† 4. Lincoln’s Inn Fields.†
Sutton’srents, Chequer Alley.†
Sutton’sstreet, Hog lane, Soho.†
Swalecourt, Play House yard.
Swallowstreet, Lower Brook street.
Swallow’sgardens, Rosemary lane.
Swanalley, 1. Barnaby street.* 2. Birchin lane, Cornhill.* 3. Brown’s lane, Spitalfields.* 4. near White’s alley, Coleman street.* 5. East Smithfield.* 6. Golden lane, Redcross street.* 7. Golden lane, Redcross street.* 7. Goswell street, Aldersgate street.* 8. in the Minories.* 9. Puddle Dock hill.* 10. near Ratcliff Cross.* Rotherhith Wall.* 12. Wardour street.
Swan and Two Necks,stable yard, Tothill street.*
Swancourt, 1. Bartholomew lane, Threadneedle street.* 2. Butcher Row, Temple Bar.* 3. East Smithfield.* 4. Foster lane, Cheapside.* 5. Grub street, Fore street.* 6. King street, Oxford street.* 7. Mansel street, Goodman’s Fields.* 9. Narrow Wall, Lambeth.* 10. Petticoat lane, Whitechapel.*
Swanfields, Shoreditch.†
Swaninn yard, Holbourn Bridge.*
Swanstreet, Swan Fields.*
Swanyard, 1. Blackman street, Southwark.* 2. Church street, Lambeth.* 3. Holiwell street, Shoreditch.* 4. Newgate street.* Nightingale lane.* 6. Old Soho.* 7. Ratcliff Cross.* 8. in the Strand.† 9. Townsend lane.*
Swan’srents, Turnmill street.*
Swedelandcourt, 1. Bishopsgate street within: 2. Little Tower Hill.
Swede’schurch, Princes square, Ratcliff Highway. SeePrince’s Square.
Swede’scourt, 1. Great Trinity lane, from the Swedish church there. 2. New Bond street.
Sweetapplecourt, Bishopsgate street. So called from Sir John Sweetapple, the owner.
Sweeting’salley, generally calledSwithin’s alley, the passage by the east end of the Royal Exchange, from Cornhill into Threadneedle street. Before the fire of London this whole alley contained but one house, a very spacious building which belonged to Mr. Swithin or Sweeting a merchant.
Sweeting’spassage, Moor lane, Cripplegate.†
Sweeting’srents, Threadneedle street.†
Switch’syard, Upper Ground, Southwark.
Swithin’salley, and Swithin’s rents. SeeSweeting’salley, andSweeting’srents.
St.Swithin’s, in Canon street, at the west corner of St. Swithin’s lane in Walbrook ward, is thus denominated from its dedication to St. Swithin chancellor to King Egbert and Bishop of Winchester, who died in 806. We read of a church in the same place dedicated to St. Swithin before the year 1331, but how long it was standing before that time is uncertain: however the old church was destroyed by the fire of London, and the present structure arose in its place.
This edifice is sixty-one feet long, and forty-two broad; the roof is forty feet, and the steeple an hundred and fifty feet in height. The body is well enlightened, and the windows are arched and well proportioned. The tower is plain, solid, and cut off at the top, to give the easier diminution between that part and the base of the spire, which is surrounded by a balustrade, and has a good diminution.
This church appears to have been anciently under the patronage of the prior and convent of Tortington in the diocese of Chester, in whom it continued till the dissolution of that monastery, when Henry VIII. granted it to the Earl of Oxford, who soon after disposed ofit, and it was at length purchased by the Salters company, in whom it still continues. On its being rebuilt the Parish of St. Mary Bothaw was united to it. The rector, besides his other profits, receives 140l.a year in lieu of tithes.Newc. Repert. Eccles.
Swithin’slane, extends from Lombard street, by St. Swithin’s church into Cannon street.
Sword and Bucklercourt, Ludgate hill.*
Sycamoreyard, Kent street.‡
Symond’sinn, on the east side of Chancery lane, is neither an inn of court nor chancery: but contains several public offices, among which is the register office. It has been lately rebuilt, and serves to accommodate several masters in chancery, sollicitors and attornies.
Sythlane, commonly calledSize lane, near Queen street, Cheapside.
Tabernacleyard, 1. Petticoat lane: 2. Wheeler street, Spitalfields.
Tackle Blockcourt, at the Hermitage, Wapping.
Tackle Porters. See the articlePorters.
Talbotcourt, 1. Fleet street.* 2. Gracechurch street.* 3. Little Eastcheap.* 4. Portpool lane, Leather lane.*
Talbotinn yard, St. Margaret’s hill.*
Tallow Chandlers, a company incorporated by letters patent granted by King Edward IV. in the year 1463.
This society anciently dealt not only in candles; but in oil, vinegar, butter, hops and sope; when great frauds being committed by adulterating oil, they were impowered by Act of Parliament to search for, and destroy, all that should be found bad; but no reward being allowed to the searchers, it was soon neglected.
This company has a master, four wardens, and thirty-eight assistants; with a livery of one hundred and seventy members, who when admitted pay a fine of 15l.each.
They have a handsome hall on the west side of Dowgate hill; it is a large building with piazzas formed by arches and columns of the Tuscan order.
Tally Courtin the Exchequer. See the articleExchequer.
Tanalley, 1. Godder’s rents, Wheeler street, Spitalfields: 2. Long lane, Southwark.
Tanyard, Whitecross street.
Tanfieldcourt, inner Temple.†
Tanner’srow, Montague street.†
Tanner’syard, 1. Five Feet lane, Barnaby street: 2. Marsham street.†
Tarplet’syard, Narrow street, Limehouse.†
Tarre’swharf, Durham yard, in the Strand.†
Tart’scourt, Smithfield.†
Tashcourt, Tash street.†
Tashstreet, Grays Inn lane.†
Tattlestreet, Little Grays Inn lane.||
Tavistockcourt, near Covent Garden.
Tavistockstreet, Covent Garden. The above court and this street were built upon the ground where the Dukes of Bedford had their house and gardens, till the year 1704, and took this name from his title of Marquis of Tavistock.Maitland.
Taxter’srents, Rotherhith Wall.†
Tax Office, in New Palace yard, is under the direction of six commissioners, each of whom has 500l.per annum: under whom is a comptroller of duties on houses who has 200l.a year, and his clerk 50l.ten general surveyors who have 100l.per annumeach; 163 surveyors of counties who have 50l.a year in England, and 40l.a year in Wales; a secretary, who has 90l.a year; an assistant secretary, who has 60l.a year; a sollicitor, who has 100l.a year; and two clerks, one of 60l.per annum, and the other of 50l.
Taylor’scourt, Bow lane, Cheapside.†
Taylor’syard, St. Giles’s street.†
Teed’syard, Worcester street.†
Teem’srents, Cowcross.†
Temple, two of the inns of court, thus denominated from the edifice being founded by the knights Templars in England, who had first a house in Holborn, and afterwards settled here in the reign of Henry II. when it was dedicated to God and the Blessed Virgin in the year 1185, by Honorius, patriarch of the church of the holy Resurrection in Jerusalem.
These Templars took their rise in the following manner, several of the crusaders settled at Jerusalem, about the year 1118, formed themselves into an uniform militia, under the name of Templars, or knights of the Temple, a name they assumed from their being quartered near a church built on the spot where Solomon’s temple had stood.
These first guarded the roads, in order to render them safe for the pilgrims who came to visit the Holy Sepulchre, and sometime after they had a rule appointed them by Pope Honorius II. who ordered them to wear a white habit; and soon after they were farther distinguished by having crosses made of red cloth on their upper garments. In a shorttime many noblemen in all parts of Christendom became brethren of this order, and built themselves temples in many cities and great towns in Europe, and particularly in England, where this in Fleet street was their chief house.
In the thirteenth century the Templars in Fleet street, were in so flourishing a situation that they frequently entertained the nobility, the Pope’s nuncio, foreign embassadors, and even the King himself; and many parliaments and great councils have been held there.
However in the year 1308 all the Templars both in England, and the other parts of Christendom, were apprehended and committed to prison, and five years after Edward II. gave Aimer de la Valence, Earl of Pembroke, this house of the Templars, with all their possessions within the city of London. At his death it reverted to the crown, and in 1324, was given to the knights Hospitallers of the order of St. John of Jerusalem, who had driven the Turks out of the isle of Rhodes, and had their chief house where St. John’s square is now situated. These knights soon after let this edifice to the studentsof the common law, in whose possession it has remained ever since.
The Temple which contained all that space of ground from the White Friars westward to Essex house, is divided into two inns of court, the Inner Temple, and the Middle Temple. These inns have separate halls, but both houses resort to the Temple church: And yet the buildings which have been erected at very different times, with very little order or regularity are perfectly united, and it is impossible for a stranger to know where the Inner Temple ends and the Middle Temple begins, except at the entrances, which are the only visible fronts to the street. Backwards there are many courts of handsome new built houses, and behind them, the buildings of the Temple have gardens and walks fronting the Thames. That side lies open and airy, and enjoys a delightful prospect into Surry.
The Middle Temple gate, next Fleet street is built in the stile of Inigo Jones, It was erected in 1684, and there is here a graceful front; but it is extremely narrow, and cannot be called the front of so vast a building, or rather number of separate buildings, as the Temple. It is of brick-work, with four large stone pilasters of the Ionic order, and a handsomepediment with a round in the middle in which is inscribed in large capitals SURREXIT IMPENSIS SOCIETAT. MED. TEMPLI, MDCLXXXIV. and beneath, just over the arch, the figure of a holy lamb.
In the treasury chamber of the Middle Temple is preserved a great quantity of armour, which belonged to the knights Templars, consisting of helmets, breast and back pieces, together with several pikes, a halbard, and two very beautiful shields, with iron spikes in their centers, of the length of six inches in diameter, and each of about twenty pounds weight. They are curiously engraved, and one of them richly inlaid with gold: the insides are lined with leather stuffed, and the edges adorned with silk fringe; and broad leathern belts are fixed to them, for the bearers to sling them upon their shoulders.
In garden court in the Middle Temple is a library founded by the will of Robert Ashley, Esq; in the year 1641, who bequeathed his own library for that purpose, and 300l.to be laid out in a purchase, for the maintenance of a librarian, who must be a student of the society, and be elected into that office by the benchers. Mr. Ashley also bequeathedall his furniture to be disposed of for the benefit of his library.
The number of volumes in the year 1738 amounted to 3982, in most branches of literature; but more especially in law and parliamentary affairs; and as it is continually encreasing, by the benefactions of authors and others, it will probably become a numerous, and very valuable collection.
This library is duly kept open (except in the dead time of the long vacation) from ten in the morning till one in the afternoon, and from two in the afternoon till six in summer, and four in winter.
The Inner Temple is situated to the east of Middle Temple gate, and has a cloister, a larger garden, and more spacious walks than the other. This society consists of benchers, barristers and students; the former of whom, as governors at commons have their table at the upper end of the hall, and the barristers and students in the middle. Anciently at these entertainments their bread served instead of plates, and they had no other drinking vessels than wooden cups; but at present they are allowed trenchers for their meat, and coarse green earthen pots for their liquor. However, though the antient custom of usingmean vessels still prevails, yet there are few who fare better.
All the members of the society who have chambers, are obliged to be in commons a fortnight every term, for which they pay about 10s.a week. Sixteen of these terms, with a regular course of study, qualifies a student for the bar.
Upon the admission of a member, the fees of the house are 3l.6s.8d.which, with other disbursements, amount to 4l.2d.
The parliament, wherein the affairs of the society are treated is commonly held twice every term.
The officers and servants of the house are, a treasurer, a sub-treasurer, a steward, a chief and three under butlers, an upper and under cook, a pannierman, a gardener, two porters, and two wash pots.
The Middle Temple, which joins to the Inner Temple on the west, is thus denominated from its having been the middle or central part of the antient Temple or Priory of knights Templars. The chief officer of this house, like that of its neighbour, is a treasurer, who is annually elected from among the benchers, and whose office is to admit students; to assign them their chambers,and to receive and pay all the cash belonging to the society.
The officers and governors of this inn, are in all respects like that of the Inner Temple, except the charge of admission, which is 5l.and the time to qualify a student for the bar, instead of sixteen terms in that, is twenty-eight in this.
The print exhibits the entrance of the Middle Temple, which is elegant, together with the east side of Temple Bar, as it appears from the end of Chancery lane in Fleet street, the situation of the Temple along the side of the river is very fine, yet nothing can be more void of harmony or decoration than the buildings of which it is composed, owing chiefly to the division and subdivision of property, which renders regularity next to impossible. The thing most worthy of notice in the Temple is the old church which belonged to the knights Templars of Jerusalem. You enter it through a circular tower of Saxon architecture in which are buried some Knights Templars, whose figures lying on the ground are preserved by iron rails. The church is purely Gothic, and it is great pity that the altar, pulpit, organ, gallery, &c. had not been kept in the same stile of architecture. This would have made it as regular though not so rich, as the chapel of Henry the seventh.
But the temple church requires a more particular description. We shall therefore trace it from its origin, and describe its several parts.
The first church here was founded in the year 1185, by the knights Templars; it was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but was more generally called by the name of the founders, than the protectress. In 1240, the old structure was taken down, and another erected after the same model. The present edifice was one of those that escaped the fire of London in 1666; but in 1695 the south-west part was new built, and in 1706 the whole was thoroughly repaired.
The whole edifice is stone firmly put together and enriched with ornaments. It consists of a long body with a turret, and a round tower at the west end, that has much the air of a piece of fortification. The length of the church from the altar to the screen is eighty-three feet, its breadth sixty feet; and the height of the roof thirty-four. The round tower is forty-eight feet high; its diameter at the floor, fifty-one feet, and its circumference 160 feet.
The windows which enlighten the body of the church are large and well proportioned. They are composed ofthree Gothic arches, a principal, and a lower on either side. These windows stand so close that there are but very slender piers left between them to support a very heavy roof; they are therefore strengthened with buttresses; but these buttresses, as in most other Gothic structures, exclude more light than the piers would have done, had they been larger, and the windows considerably smaller.
The tower which is very massy, has few windows, and those small, yet there are buttresses carried up between them; the top is crowned with plain square battlements, and from the center rises a fane.
The turret upon the body of the church is small and plain, and serves to receive a bell. In short, what can be seen of the outside has a venerable aspect, but nothing either grand or elegant: the principal beauties are to be seen within.
On entering the round tower, you find it supported with six pillars, wainscotted with oak six feet high, and adorned all round, except the east part, which opens into the church, with an upper and lower range of small arches, and black apertures; but what is most remarkable in this part, is, that there are here the tombs of eleven of the knights Templars who lie interredhere; eight of which, are covered with the figures of armed knights; of these five, to shew the veneration they had for the cross of Christ, lie cross legged; and these had made a vow, to go to the Holy Land, in order to make war on the infidels. Three of these are the tombs of the Earls of Pembroke, William Marshal the elder, who died in 1219; his son, who died in 1231, and Gilbert Marshal, his brother, who was slain in a tournament at Hertford in 1241, The other effegies lie strait legged; and the rest of the tombs are only coped stone; but both the effegies and these stones are all gray marble.
This tower is divided from the body of the church by a very handsome screen in the modern taste; which will be described hereafter. On passing this screen we find the church has three roofs supported by tall and slender pillars of Sussex marble. The windows are also adorned with small neat pillars of the same stone, and the floor paved with black and white marble. The isles are five in number; three, as usual, running east and west, and two cross isles.
The walls are neatly wainscotted with oak above eight feet high, and the alterpiece, which is of the same wood, is much higher,finely carved, and adorned with four pilasters and two columns of the Corinthian order: it is also ornamented with cherubims, a shield, festoons, fruit and leaves. The pulpit, which is placed near the east end of the middle isle, is finely carved and veniered; the sounding board is pendant from the roof, and enriched with several carved arches, a crown, festoons, cherubims and vases.
The screen at the west end of the isles is like the alterpiece, of wainscot, and adorned with ten pilasters of the Corinthian order, with three portals and pediments. The organ gallery, over the middle gallery is supported by two fluted Corinthian columns, and ornamented with an entablature and a compass pediment, with the King’s arms well carved. Near the pediment on the south side is an enrichment of cherubims and a carved figure of a Pegasus, the badge of the society of the Inner Temple, and in the pediment on the north side an enrichment of cherubims, and the figure of a Holy Lamb, the badge of the society of the Middle Temple: for though these two houses have one church, they seldom sit promiscuously there; but the gentlemen of the Inner Temple on the south,and those of the Middle Temple northward from the middle isle.
In the church are the tombs of many judges, masters in chancery, and eminent lawyers.
Since the reign of Henry VIII. there has been a divine belonging to this church named a master, orcustos, who is constituted by his Majesty’s letters patent, without institution or induction. Besides the master, there is a reader, who reads divine service twice a day, at eight o’clock in the morning, and at four in the afternoon. Formerly they had a fixed lecturer for Sundays in the afternoon; who had 80l.a year from each house, convenient lodging, and his diet at the benchers table; but of late the lecture is carried on by various preachers appointed and paid by the treasurers of the two houses.
Temple Bar, at the end of Fleet street, and at the extremity of the liberties of the city, is a very handsome gate, where anciently were only posts, rails, and a chain, such as are now at Holbourn, Smithfield, and Whitechapel-bars. Afterwards a house of timber was erected across the street, with a narrow gateway, and an entry through the south side of it. But since the fire of London, the present structure was erected, and is the only gate at the extremity of the city liberties.
This gate is a very noble one, and has two posterns, one on each side, for the advantage of foot passengers. It is built entirely of Portland stone, of Rustic work below, and of the Corinthian order. Over the gateway on the east side, in two niches are stone statues of Queen Elizabeth and King James I. with the King’s arms over the keystone, and on the west side, are the statues of King Charles I. and King Charles II. in Roman habits.
Since the erection of this gate it has been particularly distinguished by having the heads of such as have been executed for high treason placed upon it.
Templekey, Thames street.☐
Templelane, White Friars.☐
Templemews, Fleet street.☐
Templestairs, Temple lane.☐
Templestreet, White Friars.☐
Ten Bellcourt, Snow hill.*
Tenchstreet, Bird street, Wapping.†
Tenderdownstreet, Hanover square.
Ten Feetway, Nightingale lane, East Smithfield.
Tenniscourt, 1. Church entry, Black Friars: 2. High Holbourn: 3. Middle row, Holborn.