THE SALOP INFIRMARY.

Among the various channels through which the stream of christian benevolence pursues its fertilizing course to the ocean of charity, those Institutions which have for their express design the cultivation of the mind and the alleviation of misfortunes which the casualties of life and the infirmities of human nature render mankind alike heir to, afford undoubtedly the safest application of real beneficence, being, in a measure, free from that imposition with which an indiscriminate charity has unfortunately so often to contend.

The Infirmary

From the most remote period the virtuous breast has cultivated the sublime desire of mitigating, as far as possible, the pain and wretchedness consequent upon disease and suffering,—hence we find that the munificence which characterised our forefathers centuries ago was not altogether confined to the erection of numerous places for Divine Worship, and for which our town was early distinguished,but that the pleasing pain of sympathy prompted them also to build and endow “Hospitals” for the reception of the sick and diseased, and “Almshouses” for the aged and infirm.  The first record we possess of the existence of such charitable institutions in Shrewsbury is as early as the time of Henry the Second, beside an “Infirmary” founded by Earl Roger de Montgomery, within the precinct of the “Abbey,” as an asylum for diseased and superannuated monks, a fragment of which erection yet remains.

The rapacity, however, which disgraced the dissolution of Monasteries and whatever sustained the character of a “Religious House,” has, with a solitary exception, rendered these ancient Hospitals defunct;—nor was it until the commencement of the last century that the attention of the public was particularly directed to the foundation of Hospitals or Infirmaries, and which, from the number of hospitals erected in the course of that period, will, no doubt, be a memorable age in the annals of Medical Charities;—whilst it may be no mean compliment to our town and county to mention that its inhabitants early caught the rising spark of this generous flame, and had the distinguished honour of being the fifth in the kingdom to form the way in establishing a Provincial Asylum, on the basis of public benevolence,—the Salop Infirmaryhaving commenced its salutary operations April 25th, 1747.

The building which preceded the present stately erection having been originally designed for a private residence, and although repeatedly enlarged and improved, being found to be insufficient for the accommodation of the additional number of patients consequent upon an increasing population, as well as inconvenient in many respects for the purpose it was designed to fulfil, it was resolved, at a meeting held Nov. 16, 1826, that a new Infirmary should be built on the site of the old one, at the estimated cost ofabout £16,000.  As there was, however, much disinclination on the part of the subscribers present to take so large a sum from the funds of the institution, a considerable portion of which, having been bequeathed for itssupport, was therefore deemed sacred, a subscription was resolved upon and commenced immediately, when no less than £4,666 was subscribed by the noblemen and gentlemen then present,—a truly noble example ofSalopian Generosity.

In the month of April, 1827, the patients were removed to a temporary infirmary, arranged in the Shrewsbury House of Industry; upon which workmen immediately commenced taking down the old building, and with such speed that on the 19th of July, the anniversary of our late revered monarch’s coronation, the ceremony of laying the first stone of the new structure was performed by the Right Hon. Lord Hill, assisted by the late Venerable Archdeacon Owen, some of the committee, with the contractors and surveyor.

The building thus auspiciously begun, proceeded rapidly to a completion so as to be opened on September 16, 1830.  It is of free-stone, and of a plain Grecian character in design, 170 feet long by 80 feet high, having a Doric portico in the centre, the ends projecting with pilasters at each angle.  At the top of the building, on a tablet, is the following inscription:—

SALOP INFIRMARY,Established 1745,Supported by Voluntary Subscriptions and Benefactions.Rebuilt1830.

SALOP INFIRMARY,Established 1745,Supported by Voluntary Subscriptions and Benefactions.Rebuilt1830.

The interior comprises four stories; in the basement story the offices, to the number of twenty-two, are well arranged, having a convenient court for coal, &c. and watersupplied to the several apartments.  The principal floor is appropriated to the board room, dispensary, waiting room for the patients, and admitting rooms for the faculty, with private apartments for the house-surgeon and matron, and two wards for surgical cases.

The first floor is for male patients, and consists of seven wards, with a day-room, scullery, and bath rooms: the upper floor, for female patients, has the same accommodation, with the addition of a large and lofty operation room, enclosed by two pair of folding doors, having wards on each side; in the attics are four other wards, with nurses’ rooms, &c.  The ascent to these apartments is by staircases situated at each end of the building, connected by spacious galleries, which afford the means of free ventilation.

In addition to the conveniences with which this elegant structure is replete,the patent hot-water apparatus, erected for the purpose of warming the Infirmary, must not be overlooked.  The apparatus consists of a boiler, placed in the basement floor of the building, from which, by means of a pipe rising from its top, the water heated therein is conveyed to the highest level required, from whence it descends (in its passage to the boiler) to what are called the water stoves, situated in the several galleries.  By this mode of heating the several apartments, opportunity is afforded not only of having a supply of hot water to each scullery, bath, and floor, but nightly attendance to the fire is rendered altogether unnecessary.

Whilst the interior accommodations of the Infirmary are highly conducive to the health and comfort of the inmates, the external arrangements are so constructed that such of the patients as are able may possess every benefit resulting from exercise and pure air, a spacious terrace having been constructed, and extending beyond the length of the eastern front, from which a most expansive andinteresting view presents itself.  In short, the whole of the arrangements of the new Salop Infirmary are admirably adapted for the purpose they are designed to fulfil, and whilst the workmanship, the materials, and general construction are of the best description, and reflect the highest credit on the several contractors, the building it is to be desired will, from its site and general formation, remain a lasting monument not only of Salopian liberality, but of general usefulness.

The building was designed by Messrs. Haycock, of this town, and the total expence of its erection was £18,735. 18s. 10d. of which sum £13,044. 1s. 3d. was raised by public subscriptions and collections, the balance being made up by the sale of a part of the capital stock of the institution.  The Infirmary is liberally supported by subscriptions and benefactions.  From its establishment to Midsummer, 1835, the sum of £164,220. 11s. 3d. has been received for its support; 44,058 in-patients admitted, and 72,328 outpatients recommended as fit objects for its benefits.

The average annual expence is about £2230, and the weekly number of patients in the house 82; and 2429 outpatients were relieved in 1835.

A treasurer is annually chosen, and the affairs of the house are managed by eight directors, assisted by a secretary.  The directors are chosen from the trustees, who are subscribers of two guineas and upwards per annum, of whom four retire from their office half-yearly.

The domestic arrangements are under the care of a matron; and a surgeon with a salary is resident in the house, so that medical aid may be always at hand.

The medical officers of the establishment gratuitously devote their time and apply their skill in promoting the benevolent design of the institution.

The clergy of the town officiate by turns weekly as chaplains to the house.  And two weekly visitors from the resident subscribers go round the wards, by which the patients have an opportunity of stating any dissatisfaction that may exist, and having it reported to the board of directors, who assemble every Saturday morning for the dispatch of the ordinary business of the charity and the admission and discharge of patients.

Every patient must be recommended by a subscriber, except in the case of casualties.

The anniversary meeting is held in the Hunt week; when a numerous assemblage of noblemen and gentlemen accompany the treasurer from the Infirmary to St. Chad’s church, where a sermon is preached and a collection made in aid of its funds, which always produces a sum truly honourable to the county.

Several tables of legacies and benefactions for the support of the Infirmary are fixed on the walls of the board room; and the cornice is adorned with a series of armorial bearings of all the noblemen and gentlemen who have filled the office of treasurer to the institution.

An auxiliary fund is attached to the hospital, for the purpose of assisting convalescent in-patients in returning to their homes.

It would be superfluous to offer any observations on the importance of the two senses of Vision and Hearing, or on the prevalence of the various disorders to which the organs of those senses are liable; and whilst a general resource has been provided for the poor in the noble institution just noticed, for such diseases and accidents as theymight be afflicted with, it has been thought expedient to form separate institutions for the relief of such disorders or defects in the human frame as are found more prevalent; since by directing medical and surgical skill to one particular object, efficient results may be the more easily obtained.  To further this design, the Shropshire Eye and Ear Dispensary was established in 1818.  During seventeen years of its progress 3583 patients have been admitted, and, as among these several have been restored to the blessing of sight, the institution is deserving of public support.

The dispensary is held in Castle-street, under the care of a surgeon.  Annual subscribers of one guinea have, according to the original resolution, the right of recommending two patients within the year; but this is not in all cases strictly adhered to.

it is considered, was originally established for the reception of persons afflicted with leprosy—a disease much more common among the ancients and in warmer climates than in Europe, into which it is said to have been introduced by the Crusaders in the time of Henry the First.  King Henry the Second, if not the founder of this hospital, granted to it 30s. yearly (equal to £80 of modern currency) of the rent which he received from the sheriff of Shropshire for the county, towards the support of the infirm or diseased occupants, as well as a small toll upon all corn and flour exposed to sale in Shrewsbury, either on market days or otherwise.  The original grant of money is still paid by the sheriff to the Earl of Tankerville, who, as “Master of the Hospital,” and holding certain lands for its maintenance, nominates four hospitallers, who have each a comfortablehouse and garden, adjoining St. Giles’s church-yard, with one shilling and sixpence weekly, a small allowance for coal, and clothing annually.

although an asylum “for honest poverty and old age,” did not escape the rapacity which characterised the dissolution of religious houses.  It stood in the suburb of Frankwell, near a place since called The Stew.  Speed notices its site in his map (1610); but not a fragment of the building now remains.

Drapers’ Almshouses

The generally received opinion has been that these almshouses were founded, in 1461, by Degory Watur, Draper, from the circumstance that he lived himself in the centre house, or “almshouse hall,” among the poor people, and whose practice (as a Manuscript Chronicle records) was to attend them “dailye to our Lady’s Chirch, and to kneel with them in a long pew in the quire made for them and himself.”

The ancient records, however, of the Drapers’ Company show that a building and endowment of almshouses by that company for poor people existed long previous to the foundation attributed to Degory Watur, who seems to have been only the founder in so far as their re-erection took place, under his management, during his wardenship or stewardship of the company, of which he was a member.

The old almshouses extended along the whole of the west side of St. Mary’s church-yard: and, being much dilapidated and very incommodious dwellings, they were taken down in 1825.  The present building, completed in the above year, from a design by Mr. J. Carline, now consists of eighteen comfortable habitations, of two chambers each; the front is in the old English style of architecture, having in the centre a gateway within an embattled tower; in the centre of the latter are the armorial bearings of the Drapers’ Company, with the motto “Unto God only be honour and glory.”

This re-edification, including the purchase of the land, cost the Drapers’ Company upwards of £3000, from whose funds each of the poor people receive annually about six pounds.

adjoin the cemetery of Old St. Chad’s, and were erected in 1409 by Bennett Tipton, a public brewer, who lived in the College, and died in 1424.  The allowance to the eleven poor occupants, “decayed old men and women,” arises chiefly from a benefaction of £180 by David Ireland, alderman of the town, and Catharine his wife; which is now commuted to a rent charge of £8 on the Lythwood estate, the proprietor of which nominates the alms-folk.  Previousto the Reformation the poor people received one penny a-week from the Mercers’ Company, since which time the whole annual payment of the Company has been only two shillings and two pence.

This spacious and well-built structure stands on an eminence rising from the Severn, which forms a beautiful object beneath.  The site is highly salubrious, and the prospect delightfully variegated by many natural beauties.  The majestic Wrekin, with an extensive tract of country, is seen to the right; while the front presents a very general view of the town, skirted by genteel residences partly obscured by the foliage of The Quarry trees, which, with the towers of the Castle, the lofty steeples of the churches and their glittering vanes, unite in producing a scene diversified and impressive, especially when the evening sun illumines the landscape, and gives to it that variety of light and shadow which poets have associated as only belonging to the scenes of enchantment and fairy land.

A fine terrace extends the whole length of the building, which was erected (in 1760) for the reception of orphans from the Foundling Hospital in London, at an expence of £12,000; but the funds of that institution not proving adequate to the plan of sending children to provincial hospitals, it was discontinued in 1774.  It afterwards served as a place of confinement for Dutch prisoners taken in the American war; and in 1784 it was purchased under an act of parliament for incorporating the five parishes of the town and that of Meole Brace in the liberties, so far as concerned the maintenance of the poor, as a general House of Industry for their admission and employment, under the management of a board of directors.

Various circumstances, however, have concurred torender the establishment a complete failure, both as regards the principles on which it was founded, the economy to be effected, and the advantages eventually to result in favour of the united parishes, the select vestries of which now send but a small proportion of their poor, and those are generally infirm, who are maintained by a contractor, at a certain rate per head per week; but “averages” are still paid by the several parishes, to keep the extensive buildings in repair, for a salary to the chaplain, and other purposes of the institution, which continues under the ostensible government of directors.

The dining hall is 115 feet in length, parallel with which is a chapel of the same size, in which service is performed once every Sunday.

A Humane Society existed in this town in the year 1786, but, having sunk from notice, was resuscitated in 1824, for the purpose of preventing those fatal accidents which have been of frequent occurrence during the bathing season, and often in the winter time, when the river in a frozen state affords the amusement of skaiting.  The purpose of the society is to render prompt assistance in the use of the most approved means for restoring suspended animation, from whatever cause arising, and the rewarding of persons whose humane and intrepid exertions have been instrumental in saving life, or, although unsuccessful, such as to entitle their endeavours to the thanks of society.

To accomplish these objects, watchmen, prepared with every requisite apparatus, are stationed on the banks of the river, where accidents at any time may be expected to occur, and receiving houses are established, where every facility is afforded to employ remedies for the restoring oflife in those cases which hold out the slightest hope of a recovery.

It may be mentioned that many instances have occurred by which a just estimate can be formed of the positive good resulting from the exertions of this Society, in rescuing persons from drowning.

were commenced about the year 1800, for the distribution of rewards to promote the reformation and encourage the industry of criminals confined within the prison walls; to relieve the wants of unfortunate debtors; and to provide all those who are dismissed from prison with a small sum for immediate maintenance, so as to prevent the great temptation of committing crime for that purpose.

The annual subscription is limited to one guinea; and the institution has met with a laudable support, principally among the gentry of the county.

of this town have at different times been largely endowed by the legacies of individuals who, in bidding the world adieu, were piously moved to leave portions of their substance to be expended in “bread to the poor,” clothing and apprenticing poor children, annual gifts of money and garments to decayed housekeepers, and the general improvement of all, by directing commemorative sermons to be preached on particular anniversaries.  In St. Chad’s parish two hundred threepenny loaves are, on the average, distributed weekly throughout the year.

were bequeathed for purposes in many respects similar to the foregoing, and were under the management of the oldCorporation; but by the provisions of the Municipal Act the distribution of them is vested in trustees appointed by the Lord Chancellor.

Several other charitable societies exist in the town, whose object is to afford gifts of money, clothing, medical assistance, and religious instruction, to the necessitous sick poor; as well as for the distribution of the scriptures and the public formularies of the established church, and for the propagation of christianity both at home and abroad, the detail of which would exceed the prescribed limits of this publication.

“TO LEARNING’S SECOND SEATS WE NOW PROCEED.”

“TO LEARNING’S SECOND SEATS WE NOW PROCEED.”

Is situated in Beeches Lane, and is an oblong brick building, having in the centre a glazed cupola, surmounted by a flying dragon.  It was founded in 1724, according to the will of Mr. Thomas Bowdler, alderman and draper, for the instruction, clothing, and apprenticing poor children of the parish of St. Julian.

Eighteen boys and 12 girls receive their education here, and attend service at St. Julian’s church on Sundays, to which church Mr. Bowdler was a great benefactor.—The number of scholars, from the increased value of the property belonging to the school, is about to be increased.

This excellent institution and monument of private munificence stands on an eminence in the suburb of Frankwell, which commands an extensive prospect of the town, its churches, public buildings, and more distant views.

The building consists of a handsome pedimented front, with a stone portico, and two wings attached to the centre by a row of houses; the summit is crowned by a bell turret.

The chapel occupies the centre of the building, and contains a portrait of the founder.  Adjoining are residences for the master and mistress of the school, and twelve houses for the resident hospitallers.

The foundation was endowed by Mr. James Millington, a draper, of Shrewsbury, and consists (according to his will) of a school-master and mistress with liberal salaries, and a chaplain, whose duty it is to read prayers every school day at nine o’clock in the morning.  The scholars, &c. attend St. George’s church on Sundays.

Twelve poor men or women, chosen from the single parishioners living in Frankwell, or from the part of Saint Chad’s parish nearest to it, have each a comfortable dwelling consisting of two apartments, and a good garden, with two gowns, or coats, three tons of coal and ten guineas yearly, and two loaves of bread weekly.  Gowns and coats, with £4 per annum and two loaves weekly, are given to ten poor single housekeepers resident in Frankwell, the four senior of which occupy two chambers each above the school rooms, and are removed according to seniority into the hospital when a vacancy occurs.

The school rooms are in the rear of the building, in which twenty-five boys and as many girls receive their education, with clothing twice a-year.  At the age of fourteen the boys are apprenticed, and £10 given as a premium with each; previous to which they are well clothed, and on producing a certificate of good behaviour during apprenticeship, £5 is presented as a gratuity.  The girls are allowed £3 for clothing on leaving the school, and, on behaving well, at the expiration of three years of their service receive £3 more.

A Sermon is annually preached in St. Chad’s church, on the 12th of August, according to the will of the founder, to commemorate his birth-day.

Two exhibitions of £40 a-year each are founded for students of St. Mary Magdalene College, Cambridge, eligible to those who have been originally scholars in the school and born in Frankwell, and educated at the Free Schools.

The charity is governed by fourteen trustees; and the revenues, by proper management, are considerable.  Well may it be said, after reading this noble bequest—

“Behold what blessing wealth to life can lend.”

“Behold what blessing wealth to life can lend.”

Is situated in Murivance, near St. Chad’s church, and was erected and endowed pursuant to the will ofJohn Allatt, Gent.  The building is an elegant free-stone structure, designed by Mr. Haycock in 1800, and cost £2000.  It consists of two excellent houses for the master and mistress, which are connected with the schools by an arcade.

Thirty boys and thirty girls are educated and clothed, and at a proper age placed out as apprentices or servants.—Twenty-eight coats and 140 stuff gowns are annually given to poor men and women from the funds of the same charity.

The management of the school and funds is under the direction of fourteen trustees.

This school was begun by a subscription as early as the year 1708, for the instruction and clothing of poor children, and is conducted on the National system, in spacious school rooms near the east end of the English bridge.  A sermon is preached annually in aid of its fundsat two of the churches in the town.  Nearly three hundred children receive daily education here, and on Sundays they attend the worship of the established church.

were erected in 1812, opposite the County Gaol, for the plan of education suggested by the late Mr. Joseph Lancaster.  They are supported by subscriptions and donations, with a small weekly contribution from the scholars.

are situated in the suburb of Castle Foregate, and were erected in 1832, in the old English style of architecture, from a design by Mr. John Carline.  Two hundred and fifty boys and girls receive their daily instruction, and are taken to St. Michael’s church twice on Sundays.

The school is supported by private benefactions; and the National system of education is adopted.

is held in the remains of Old St. Chad’s church, and the mode of tuition practised is that of the Madras system, which has been in operation in this school since 1820.

The number of girls educated is 154, under the care of visitors, whose aim, as expressed in the report of the school, is “to be instrumental in bringing up poor children in the fear of God, and in instilling into them such religious principles as may lead them to do their duty, for conscience sake, in that state of life to which it shall please God to call them.”  The girls are clothed annually, and the total expence of the school is rather more than £100 a year, nearly one-half of which is contributed by the children in the shape of earnings and a penny fund, the remainder by subscriptions and donations.

produce a wide field for useful exertion, by forming the disposition and giving an early moral bias to the mind;—if, indeed, they do no more than take young children from the debasing influence under which their characters must otherwise be formed, and present an example of a better kind, they are calculated to effect a good purpose.

Schools having this object in view are established in the suburbs ofFrankwell,Castle Foregate, andColeham, and are supported by subscriptions under the direction of intelligent ladies.

There are several Sunday Schools connected with the established church and the different congregations of dissenters, some of which have existed nearly from the earliest formation of such institutions.

“GO ROUND ABOUT HER, AND TELL THE TOWERS THEREOF.  MARK WELL HER BULWARKS, SET UP HER HOUSES, THAT YE MAY TELL THEM THAT COME AFTER.”

“GO ROUND ABOUT HER, AND TELL THE TOWERS THEREOF.  MARK WELL HER BULWARKS, SET UP HER HOUSES, THAT YE MAY TELL THEM THAT COME AFTER.”

HAVING noticed the principal Public Structures and Charitable Institutions of Shrewsbury, we turn next to those objects and ancient remains which do not admit of a regular classification.

In adapting the present work, therefore, to assist the Stranger, it is proposed to notice these and such other localities that may engage and deserve attention, in the course of AWalk within the Wallsof our town, replete in subjects of antiquarian interest.

In the survey of these matters we shall occasionally lose sight of the refinement of modern times, and accommodate our thoughts and feelings to the days of yore, by adding such historical remarks as may serve the purpose of general as well as local information.

Our perambulation will commence from the spacious area in front of the County Hall, called the

from the vegetable market being held there, and from whence may be seen several good specimens of the half-timbered houses of our forefathers, terminating with lofty gables.

Proceeding upHigh Street, anciently called “Bakers’ Row,” from the number of that occupation which located there: on the left of the turning towards Grope Lane is an old timbered house, now a grocer’s shop, but formerly used as

Several of the Incorporated Companies originally possessed Halls for holding their meetings and the celebration of their feasts: the former have of late years been held at the Town Hall, and the latter at some of the inns.

About the middle of the street, on the right, is the Unitarian Meeting House (p.95), where the poet Coleridge preached in 1798;[149]and a few yards further is the “Sextry” passage, or (as it is called in our provincialism) a “shut.”  This originally communicated with St. Chad’s church-yard by a covered passage, and derived its name from the sacristy of the church, which is supposed to have stood within it.  An old building, now the “Golden Cross,” appears to have been a tavern as early as the year 1495, for in the archives of the corporation is the charge of 13s. 2d.  “for wine spent on the king’s gentlemen in the Sextrie.”  Its gloomy and confined situation proves how little our unpolished ancestors regarded accommodation or prospect when they were enjoying the pleasure of a jovial carouse.

The ancient stone building at the extremity of the street was in times past occupied as the

since which it has been used as a theatre, a methodist chapel, an assembly room, and a temporary assize court; and although now modernised as a tea warehouse, the present remains convey much of the character of the “city halls”of other days, associated with the good cheer, inspirating feasts, and the social merriment of com-brethren in the olden time.

Shearmen’s Hall

The period of its erection is not known; but before the front was altered it presented (according to a drawing in the possession of the writer) a bold pointed window in the style of the fifteenth century, the apex of the gable being finished with an elegant finial.  On the south-west side a very curious octagonal chimney, crenelated at the top, still remains.

The company of Shearmen were incorporated at least as early as the reign of Edward the Fourth, and the extracts preserved from their records afford many pleasing particulars of ancient customs and hospitality.  The setting up of a “green tree,” or May-pole, before their hall, “deck’d with garlands gay,” was, according to an old MS. an usage practised by the apprentices of this company on their feast-day (June 6th) previous to the year 1588.  The noisy revelry connected therewith, and of

“Lads and lasses dancing round,”

“Lads and lasses dancing round,”

seems to have excited the displeasure of the puritans, and the custom having been denounced by the “public preacher of the town,”[151]and forbidden by the bailiffs, the MS. further says, that “in 1591 certain young men for their disobedience were put into prison and indicted at the sessions, but on their submission they were acquit of their disobedience, and all further proceedings against them quashed, and it was determined that the usual tree might be put up as heretofore, so that it be done soberly and in good order, without contention.”  The attempt to obstruct this ancient festivity caused an angry cavilling and interchange of written communications between the favourers of it and the bailiffs, so as to raise an opposition at the annual passing of the town accounts, for the expence incurred by the prosecution.

In the reign of Elizabeth, six hundred shearmen or cloth-workers were occupied (under the drapers) in dressing or raising the wool on one side of a coarse kind of cloth called Welsh webs, which were brought from Merionethshire and Montgomeryshire to a weekly market in this town.

This manner of raising the wool having been found toweaken the texture of the cloths, the avocation of the company became useless and was discontinued.

Leaving St. Julian’s Church (p.59) on the left, we arrive at theWyle Cop,—cop is the Saxon word for top, or head of any thing, and this part is considered as the first portion of the town inhabited by the early British settlers, being situated near the royal dwelling of Brochwel (the site of Old St. Chad’s church).  The Saxons, on their possession of the town, continued (without doubt) for a time to occupy the huts abandoned by the Britons.  From hence the town extended itself northward in the direction of the churches.  Proceeding down the Wyle Cop, we pass theLion Hotel, four doors below is the house which formed the temporary residence of King Henry the Seventh, who, although he left the bailiffs to pay his soldiers, did not forget the favour conferred upon him by the burgesses.  From this place is a pretty distant view of the Wrekin, Lord Hill’s Column, &c.  At the foot of the Wyle, and turning to the right, we leave on the left the precinct of theGrey Friars, and pass alongBeeches Lane, ancientlyBispestanandBushpestanes, in which is the Blue School and the Roman Catholic Chapel, and arrive at

erected in the time of Henry the Third, to fortify the place against the inroads of the Welsh, and towards the completion of which the burgesses were materially assisted by the royal bounty.  These walls, although now deprived of their battlements, form an excellent footpath, and afford a delightful view of the river and adjacent country.  At the extremity of the Walls is theCrescent; and a little beyond stands the only remaining Tower of nearly twenty which formerly strengthened the ancient ramparts that enclosed our town.

It is square, and of three stories, embattled at the summit, and lighted by narrow square windows; from the style of building, it is probably as old as the reign of Henry the Fourth.

The Old Tower

Nearly adjoining the Tower is the Meeting-house of the Methodist New Connexion; and further on to the right isSwan Hill, formerly calledMurivance, signifying before or within the walls.  Passing Allatt’s School, a chaste freestone building, the turning to the right leads toSt. John’s Hill, chiefly occupied by private individuals.  Proceeding onwards, St. Chad’s church breaks upon the view, having a terrace on the south-west side which commands a fine prospect of the beautifulQuarry Walk.  Leaving the principal entrance to this delightful promenade, a broad thoroughfare leads to the handsome residences ofClaremont Buildings.  Continuing our route to the end of this street, a narrow way opens to St. Austin’s Friars and theriver, on the margin of which once stood an out-work, flanked by two round towers, erected by the corporation at a remote period for the protection of the opposite ford.  In later times one of these towers was called the “Round House,” and was demolished about forty years ago.  Turning to the right, we observe the remnant of the house of

of which little appears excepting the outer portion of a red stone building, now used as a tan-house.  The Friars Eremites of St. Augustine are supposed to have located in this town about the middle of the thirteenth century, and erected their house on a site which had been used during the reign of John as a place of sepulture, interment in consecrated ground having for a period been forbidden by that king.

The following beautiful initial letter, affixed to acharter from Edward the Third, in 1345, assigns to the friars of this convent the out-work above alluded to, under certain conditions, with leave to have a postern gate for ingress and egress towards their house and church.

Initial Letter of a Charter from Edw. III. to the Austin’s Friars

The king is depicted as sitting upon his throne, holding a globe in his left and a sceptre in his right hand, with two friars kneeling before him, and a third presenting a book or charter.

In the church of this Priory was a sanctuary, where a murderer could take refuge, and thereby escape his merited punishment; and several knights and men of rank, slain in the battle of Shrewsbury, were buried within its walls.

Previously to the dissolution, this house, like many others, fell suddenly into a state of bankruptcy, and the church was stripped of its furniture and vestments.  On the site of the precinct which once pertained to this friary, and extended to the Quarry walk, several good houses have been erected.

On the opposite side of the river is the suburb of Frankwell, bordered with gardens; Millington’s Hospital crowning the eminence.

next attracts attention.  It is a bold and substantial structure, completed in 1795, from a design by Messrs. Tilley and Carline, of this town, at a cost of £8000.  It consists of five semi-circular arches, surmounted with a balustrade, and is 266 feet in length and 30 in breadth.

It has been truly remarked, that while in cities of greater commercial importance no public works of great extent have been carried on without the exaction of tolls and contributions, the inhabitants of this town and county have, to their immortal honour, erected two noble bridges, by which the trade of the neighbouring districts has beenreleased from the burthen of a vexatious tax, at a total expence of full £30,000, the whole of which was raised by voluntary contribution.

The Welsh Bridge

It is, however, matter of regret that too little attention has been shewn to encroachments on the river, by which much of the beauty of our bridges has been destroyed.

Adjoining the Welsh bridge are quays and spacious warehouses, from whence the barges and trows receive and discharge their cargoes.  This end of the town formerly displayed a scene of commercial importance, as being the place where the London, Birmingham, and Manchester waggons arrived, and from whence goods were forwarded to all parts of the kingdom; but owing to the communication opened with the above-mentioned places by the Shrewsbury canal, which terminates in the Castle-foregate, most of the goods arrive there; this part, therefore, retains little more of its former bustle than is occasioned by the arrival of waggons for the dispatch of merchandize into North Wales, and what remains of the Severn trade.

From hence we proceed up the street calledMardol; about half-way up, on the right, isHill’s Lane, where is situated

said to be the first brick structure erected in Shrewsbury.  It appears to have been built in 1618 by William Rowley, draper, and the first of his family who settled in this town, of which he was admitted a burgess in 1594, and made an alderman in 1633, under the charter of Charles the First.  His grand-daughter and co-heiress married John Hill, Esq. who lived in great hospitality in this mansion, from whom the street received the appellation ofHill’s Lane, instead of Knuckin-street.  He died in 1731, and the house was soon afterwards inhabited by the talented Dr. Adams, incumbent of St. Chad’s from 1731 to 1775.

The portal of this mansion is curious, and is accurately delineated by the wood cut.  The great chamber, or withdrawing room, remains nearly in its original state, and is adorned with a basso relievo representation of the Creation,and other devices in stucco, &c.  The oak wainscot from the other apartments has lately been removed.  It is now used as a storehouse for grain, and presents a striking picture of—

“Some banquet Hall deserted,Whose lights are fled, whose glory’s dead,And all but it departed.”

“Some banquet Hall deserted,Whose lights are fled, whose glory’s dead,And all but it departed.”

Portal of Rowley’s Mansion

Retracing our steps to Mardol, at the top of the street is a pile of ancient houses, decorated on the exterior withplaster and stone ornaments, in the fantastical fashion of the time in which they were built.  The turning below these leads toClaremont Street, formerly Doglane.  On the left is a curious half-timbered house, built in 1613, with a projecting porch.  A little lower is the Baptist Meeting House.  Keeping to the left, is an old mansion, called

from a large stone which formerly stood outside the wall that surrounded the portion of the court not occupied by the buildings.  The stone is now removed to the area in front of the house, which before the recent alteration was a good specimen of the smaller mansion of the reign of Queen Elizabeth.  It was erected by Edward Owen, Esq. a bailiff of the town in 1582.

Leaving the new Theatre on the right, we enter the street calledShoplatch, a name supposed to be derived fromShutt Place, the residence of an ancient Shrewsbury family of the name of Shutt, the remains of which are still to be traced in the massive walls of a stone edifice long disused, however, for domestic purposes, and arrive at Mardol Head, formerly calledThe Stalls.  At the corner leading to High-street is

once the town residence of the ancient family of Ireland, long seated at Albrighton.  It is a spacious half-timbered building, four stories high, finished with gables, on the beams of which are the following armorial bearings—Gules, three fleurs de lis, three, two, and one, Argent.  The front consists of four ranges of bay windows, the original entrance having been in the centre under a Tudor arch.  It is now divided into three excellent dwellings.

Passing upPride Hill, formerly called Corvisors’ Row, we reach the High Pavement, where, opposite the present Butter and Poultry Market, once stood

which was no doubt similar in design to the elegant structures at Chichester and other places.  It appears to have escaped the iconoclastic zeal of the puritans; for we learn that the old stone cross was not taken down until the year 1705.  All general proclamations, as in former times, are still made upon this spot, whilst the reminiscences connected with it afford a melancholy picture of feudal severity.  Here David, the last of the British Princes, underwent his cruel sentence, for defending by force of arms the liberties of his native country; and here the Earl of Worcester and other distinguished noblemen, after the battle of Shrewsbury, atoned for their rebellion by the loss of their heads.

Continuing our course, we enterCastle Street, which is terminated in a picturesque manner by Laura’s tower on the Castle mount, and the umbrageous foliage with which it is surrounded.  At the extremity of this spacious street stands

the only one existing of eight similar structures.  Its present appearance proves it to be of Norman foundation, and built probably by Earl Roger de Montgomery for the accommodation of such of his retainers as resided in theouter courtof the castle within which it once stood.  It was subsequently appropriated for the accommodation of the President and Council of the Marches of Wales.  The west end displays a pointed window divided by a mullion, and in the interior is a massive semi-circular arch, which separated the nave from a chancel now destroyed.  In lowering the floorin 1825, several human skulls and bones were discovered.  The building is 50 feet long, by 19 wide, and is used at present as a coach-house and stable.

Gateway of Council House

To the right of this edifice is a handsome timber gateway, erected in 1620, which leads to

orLord’s Place, originally occupied as the residence ofthe Court of the Marches of Wales; the Lords President and Council of which, in assembling,

“With temper’d awe to guideAn old and haughty nation proud in arms,”

“With temper’d awe to guideAn old and haughty nation proud in arms,”

were frequently received here “righte royallie” by the corporation and trading companies; the latter, no doubt, considering that the great number of persons which this Court attracted to the town in its judicial capacity, independent of the attendant pomp and feasting, was of no small benefit to them in their respective crafts and occupations, by multiplying the consumption of the necessaries of life, and imparting to Shrewsbury somewhat of the importance of a second capital.

In the early part of the rebellion, the Corporation sent an invitation to Charles the First, stating that he should “have free access into the town, and be entertained in the best manner these troublesome times afford.”  The unfortunate monarch accepted the loyal offer of his Salopian subjects, and arrived here Sept. 20th, 1642, attended by his two sons (the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York) and his nephew Prince Rupert, where he resided for the space of six weeks.  King James the Second also kept his court here in 1687.

In 1583 the Corporation granted to Richard Barker, Esq. town-clerk of Shrewsbury, their interest in the council house and adjoining chapel, reserving the use of it for the annual residence of her Majesty’s Council.  From him it passed to Thomas Owen, Esq. also town-clerk, in whose family it remained until it was purchased by Richard Lyster, Esq. to whose descendant, Henry Lyster, of Rowton Castle, Esq. it now belongs.[162]

The building stands on an eminence overhanging the river in the vicinity of the castle, in what is supposed to have been the outer ballium of that fortress.  Its erection took place about the time of Henry the Seventh, and it was soon afterwards considerably enlarged in all probability with some of the materials from the castle and the adjoining convent of Black Friars.  On the extinction of the Court of the Marches in 1689, these extensive buildings became ruinous, and their remains have been (during the present century) converted into three good houses, which command delightful prospects.  The hall and great chamber above form a portion of the residence of Dr. Du Gard, who has displayed a commendable taste in preserving as far as possible the character of this part of the building.

Returning along Castle Street, on the right is the Raven Hotel, where Lieut. Geo. Farquhar (in 1704 or 1705) wrote his comedy of “The Recruiting Officer,” the scene of which is laid in Shrewsbury; and while it sufficiently demonstrates he was well acquainted with that gay scene of life which forms the subject of his play, it is equally certain he had “living originals in his eye.”  The epistle dedicatory is “To all friends round the Wrekin,” and states he was a perfect stranger to every thing in Salop but its character of loyalty, the number of its inhabitants, and their generous and hospitable reception of strangers,—an eulogium, it is devoutly to be wished, may be retained by Salopians in every generation.

Taking the direction of the street opposite the Raven, a pleasing view of ancient and modern architecture presentsitself, in St. Mary’s church and the Infirmary.  On the south-west side of the church-yard is

Drapers’ Hall, Interior View

a half-timbered building, erected probably about the time of Elizabeth.  The interior is sufficiently described by the accompanying engraving, presented by the liberality of theDrapers’ Company.  The apartment is 28 feet by 20, but was originally of larger dimensions.  It is wainscotted with fine old oak, and the floor was once rich in emblazoned tiles.  At the north end is the upper place, or “dais,” where the members “feasted full and high;” and on the opposite side stands a fine old chest, with richly carved ornaments; above which is a painting said to represent the first steward of the company, Degory Watur, and his wife; this originally stood on the front of the hall house occupied by Degory in the almshouses.

The east side is decorated with a portrait of Edward the Fourth, denoting round the circumference his titles and decease in 1483.  Beneath are the following lines:—

This Yeare fourth Edward York’s farre fam’d renowneCircled his temples with great Albion’s crowne;When over reading the memorialeOf Salop’s Draper’s Ancient Hospitale,Founded in honour of the sacred Deity,He own’d and stiled them then, the blest Society;And with his Parliament’s sage approbationDeigned them his Charter for a Corporation,Which to confirme Himself was pleas’d to beThe Royal Founder of their Companie,Granting immunities of large extent,Which stand his bounties gratefull monument.Edwardo 4º regi AnglorumGloriosissimo monumentumHoc posuit PannariorumSalopiensium grata Societas.

This Yeare fourth Edward York’s farre fam’d renowneCircled his temples with great Albion’s crowne;When over reading the memorialeOf Salop’s Draper’s Ancient Hospitale,Founded in honour of the sacred Deity,He own’d and stiled them then, the blest Society;And with his Parliament’s sage approbationDeigned them his Charter for a Corporation,Which to confirme Himself was pleas’d to beThe Royal Founder of their Companie,Granting immunities of large extent,Which stand his bounties gratefull monument.

Edwardo 4º regi AnglorumGloriosissimo monumentumHoc posuit PannariorumSalopiensium grata Societas.

Returning from this hall, which is the only one appropriated to its original purpose, to the left isDogpole(from Doke or Duck, to decline, and Poll, the head or summit); the street having an abrupt descent towards the river, to which there was formerly a communication.

To the right is St. Mary’s Street and the Almshouses.  This street was very narrow until the year 1824, when several old buildings were taken down.  Pursuing our course alongChurch Street, we pass the site and remnant of a half-timbered house, distinguished by gables, which formed a portion of

in which the Duke of York resided when he accompanied his royal father to this town in 1642.  It was also the abode of “Prince Rupert, when he joined his uncle after the brilliant action of Worcester.”  This house was built by Thos. Jones, Esq. whose burial is noticed in the account of the adjoining church of St. Alkmond.  Leaving that sacred edifice to the left, and turning a few yards to the right, we arrive at theDouble Butcher Row, a street chiefly occupied by butcher’s shambles, and where is an

considered to be one of the oldest and largest of this kind of buildings of which our town displays so many specimens.

The projecting stories are sustained by elegant brackets, and the angle uprights enriched with small pointed arches, carved with trefoil and other decorations.  Along the front basement is a cloister of wooden arches obtusely pointed.—This building, 60 feet in length, is now divided into smaller habitations.  History is silent as to the time, or by whom this edifice was erected, nor have we any decided information of its primary occupancy.

From the appearance of the cloister, it has been conjectured that it was a religious house, inhabited by the chauntry priests of the fraternity of the Holy Cross in St. Alkmund’s church.  But from its extent it is more likely to have been the town mansion of the Abbot of Lilleshull, whohad a residence in this part of the parish, and to which monastery the patronage of the church belonged.

Ancient Timber House

Continuing our route to the left of this house, we pass steps leading to the churchyard, and the foundations of a stone building (which once pertained to anOrieland the ancient college of St. Alkmond), into Fish-street, occupied by shambles, and on market-days by the country butchers.  Crossing the top of High-street, we enter Milk-street, which leads to Old St. Chad’s (page 28), and the street calledBelmont, in which is situated

purchased by the County of Salop in 1821, under an act for providing suitable accommodation for the reception of his Majesty’s judges of assize.  At the south-west end of the opposite thoroughfare across the church-yard is the remains of a red stone wall which formed part of

originally a large ancient building inclosing a quadrangular court, separated from the street by a lofty wall and gateway, In 1549 Edward the Sixth granted the college to Hugh Edwards, Esq. the individual who (in 1551) exerted himself in obtaining the foundation of our grammar school.  It continued in his family until 1752, when Lord and Lady Malpas disposed of the buildings, which were soon afterwards converted into three excellent houses, but so effectually modernized with brick as to display none of the appearance of a “college,” although the name is still retained.

Westward is College Hill.  Half-way down this street, a modern Gothic front denotes

which, before its alteration and brick casing in 1795, was considered a most curious specimen of the unembattled town mansion, erected (it is conjectured) about the middle of the fourteenth century by Sir Hamo Vaughan, whose daughter Eleanor married Reginald de Mutton.  By this alliance the house came into the possession of the Myttons of Halston, several of whom represented this town in parliament; but little of its original state now appears.  The hall is approached from a passage near the Corn-market by a flight of steps, and displays a deeply-recessed pointed arch; a similar one is seen from the College-hill entrance.  One portion of the building forms theWatch RoomandPolice Stationof the town, and some of the spacious vaults beneath are used as a temporary receptacle for midnight disorderlies.

Nearly adjoining, in the street leading to the Corn-market, is theTalbot Hotel, where the Duchess of Kent and the Princess Victoria alighted on their visit to this town in 1832, on which occasion the mayor and corporation waited upon them with a congratulatory address.

At a meeting held at Shrewsbury on the 26th of June, 1835, it was resolved to establish a Natural History Society for the county of Salop and North Wales, and to found a central museum and scientific library.

In order to secure the perpetuity of the institution, and to guard against the possible dispersion of the museum at any future period, the property of the society is vested in the lords lieutenant of the county of Salop, and of the several counties of North Wales, as trustees, for the permanent use and benefit of the district at large.

The museum is principally designed to illustrate the Natural History of the district, in its various branches of geology, mineralogy, zoology, and botany, by the gradual formation of complete and systematic arrangements of its productions, in each of these departments.  It is also opento other objects of scientific interest, and in particular is a suitable repository for such remains of antiquity as are found within the district, or illustrate its general history.  But, in addition to these more local objects, the museum will, it is anticipated, through the liberality of the friends of science in various quarters, be enriched with many specimens from distant places.

The library consists of Books illustrative of Natural History and Antiquities, and such works of reference as the funds of the society may admit of being purchased, for the illustration of the objects in the museum.  The library, as well as the museum, is open to donations from the members and friends of the institution.

The society’s affairs are under the management of a council, consisting of a president and other officers, elected annually.

A house situated in Dogpole is at present the temporary repository for the collections of the Museum, &c.

Is on St. John’s Hill, and contains an excellent collection of books in the various departments of literature and science.  Its affairs are confided to a committee.  Proprietary members pay two guineas admission, and an annual subscription of one guinea and a half; and strangers, on the introduction of a subscriber, have the privilege of consulting any of the books during library hours.

Has for its design the cultivation of the delightful science of sacred music, and was revived in 1834.  It is under the management of a secretary and committee, and is supported by a respectable number of honorary members.

was engrafted (in the year 1834) on a florists’ society planted in this town in 1823.  Its object is to promote the culture of the auricula, polyanthus, pink, ranunculus, carnation, picotee, dahlia, gooseberry, &c.

This institution commenced in 1825, and in the year 1833 a building was erected for their meetings in Howard-street, Castle-foregate.  The expences of the establishment are defrayed by subscriptions and donations.

Two weekly newspapers are published here: viz.Wednesday,The Salopian Journal, by Mr. John Eddowes, Corn-market.Friday,The Shrewsbury Chronicle, by Mr. John Watton, St. John’s-hill.


Back to IndexNext