CHAPTER XXVII

1See Haldimand’s remarks, Chapter X, Part 1.

1See Haldimand’s remarks, Chapter X, Part 1.

2“Mémoires particuliers pour servir a l’histoire de l’eglise de L’Amerique du Nord,” Tome 2 (vie de la Sœur Bourgeoys).

2“Mémoires particuliers pour servir a l’histoire de l’eglise de L’Amerique du Nord,” Tome 2 (vie de la Sœur Bourgeoys).

3The census of 1911 revealed the interesting fact, that in view of some popular impressions erroneously entertained the greatest proportion of children attending school for over six months in the year was noted in Quebec. It was 76.47 per cent., and compares with 74.43 per cent. in Ontario, which comes next in order. In the Maritime Provinces the ratio was under 70 per cent.

3The census of 1911 revealed the interesting fact, that in view of some popular impressions erroneously entertained the greatest proportion of children attending school for over six months in the year was noted in Quebec. It was 76.47 per cent., and compares with 74.43 per cent. in Ontario, which comes next in order. In the Maritime Provinces the ratio was under 70 per cent.

1841-1914

THE SCHOOL SYSTEM AFTER THE UNION

THE RISE OF THE “SCHOOL COMMISSIONS OF MONTREAL”

EDUCATION AFTER THE REBELLION—THE EDUCATIONAL ACT OF 1846—THE PERSONNEL OF THE FIRST CATHOLIC AND PROTESTANT COMMISSIONERS—NORMAL SCHOOLS—THE AMENDED SCHOOL ACT OF 1868-69—THE CHARTER—THE PROTESTANT HIGH SCHOOL—THE PROTESTANT COMMISSIONERS, 1869-1914—HISTORY OF SCHOOLS—LIST OF CATHOLIC COMMISSIONERS, 1869-1914—PRESENT SCHOOLS UNDER COMMISSION—INDEPENDENT CATHOLIC SCHOOL COMMISSIONS—THE ORGANIZATIONS COOPERATING WITH THE CENTRAL COMMISSION—“NUNS”—“BROTHERS”—“LAITY.”

NOTE: SECONDARY EDUCATION—TECHNICAL AND COMMERCIAL—VOCATIONAL.

The events of 1837 paralyzed education and the educational system became disorganized so that no attempt was made to reconstruct it till the question of union was settled. In 1841 the first parliament of United Canada passed an act embodying many of Buller’s suggestions, providing for the establishment and maintenance of public education. An ex-officio chief superintendent of education was appointed for the united province with working superintendents for its eastern and western sections. The executive educational officer, therefore, for lower Canada, was the Hon. Dr. J.B. Meilleur, an active educationalist and a former member of the legislature, who had been the principal author of the projected school act of 1836.

In 1843 the school act of 1841 was repealed as far as Upper Canada was concerned and in 1845 as far as it applied to Lower Canada. This was on account of the working experience gained by the two superintendents. In 1846 the office of the ex-officio chief superintendent was abolished and each of the eastern and western executive officers now administered the school law which was adopted by the act of 1846 to suit the needs of each section of the United Province. A very important principle—that of local taxation for the support of education—introduced with success in Upper Canada—was substituted for that of voluntary contributions as an experiment. This was repealed in 1849, owing to strong opposition, and local assessment was rendered permissive, not compulsory as before, and the system of voluntary contribution restored.

The year 1846 marks the origin of the modern Protestant and Catholic schoolcommissioners of the city of Montreal appointed by the provincial parliament (9 Victoria, Cap. 27).

THE PROTESTANT BOARD

The Protestant Board at its inception was not incorporated by act of parliament and had little recognized status. It had no funds to administer except a small grant from the city council. It had no school buildings to superintend. The early practice was to subsidize the existing schools. But the idea of the board grew. It received doles occasionally from the city council and it made headway. Its first school was the Ann Street School, established in a rented building, in 1850. It was afterward named the “William Lunn” after the first secretary-treasurer of the board, an ardent educationalist and one of the founders of the British and Canadian School.

The first meeting of the board of commissioners under the act of 1846 was held on December 10, 1846. Its commissioners up to 1868-69 were:

Rev. Charles Bancroft, chairman, 1846 to 1848; Rev. Caleb Strong, 1846 to ——; Rev. J.M. Cramp, 1846 to——; Mr. William Lunn, who acted as secretary-treasurer from 1846 to 1871; Mr. Andrew Watson, 1846 to——; Mr. John Dougall, 1846 to——; Reverend Dr. Falloon, chairman, February, 1848, to October, 1848; Reverend Dr. McGill, chairman, October, 1848 to 1856; Ven. Arch-deacon Gilson, 1854 to 1856, chairman, 1856 to 1861; Rev. William Snodgrass, chairman, 1861 to 1865; Mr. Kemp,—— to 1865; Rev. John Jenkins, D.D., chairman, 1865 to 1868; chairman, February, 1868, to February, 1869; Rev. D.H. MacVicar, D.D., LL. D., 1865 to February, 1869; Hon. James Ferrier, senator, 1865 to February, 1869; Mr. Hector Munro, 1865 to February, 1869.

THE CATHOLIC BOARD

The Catholic board, also appointed in 1846, had similar difficulties. The organization of the schools was small. The work done was sincere, but woefully limited. The schools were small and not modern in structure and character. The teachers were few and sadly handicapped in every way, for at that time the chief thought was how to struggle along in a material way. The cause of Catholic education was greatly helped at this period by the advent of the Christian Brothers in 1837, the Brothers of St. Joseph in 1841, and the religious bodies of women, including the Ladies of the Sacred Heart in 1842, the Sisters of Providence in 1844, the Ladies of St. Croix in 1847, and others, such as the Sisters of the Holy Name of Jesus, the Sisters of Charity, etc.

The Catholic school commissioners from 1846 to 1868 were:

Very Rev. A.F. Truteau, V.G., canon, 1846-1848; Rev. Francis A.U. de Charbonnel, P.S.S. (late bishop of Toronto), 1846-1848; Albert Furniss, 1846-1849; P.S. Letourneux, 1846-1849; Pierre Beaubien, physician, 1846-1849; J.U. Beaubry, advocate (later judge of supreme court), 1848-1862; Rev. A. Pinxsonnault (late bishop of London), 1848-1850, 1851-1853; Rev. F.R. Mercier, canon, 1848-1849; Rev. J.H. Prevost, P.S.S., pastor of Notre Dame, 1849-1864; A.M. Delisle, 1849-1852; W.C.F. Coffin, prothonotary, 1849-1851; André Ouimet, advocate, 1849-1851; Rev. E.C. Fabre (afterwards archbishop of Montreal),1850-1851, 1861-1865; G. d’Eschambault, physician, 1851-1856; P. Garnot, professor, 1857-1861; Very Rev. H. Moreau, V.G., canon, 1853-1861; J.F. Pelletier, advocate, 1853-1854; Louis Giard, physician, 1855-1857, 1858-1860, 1861-1868; C.S. Cherrier, advocate, 1857-1859; Gedeon Ouimet (afterward superintendent of public instruction), 1859-1861; H. Kavanagh, inspector of customs, 1860-1868; Edward Murphy, merchant (later senator), 1861-1865, 1869-1880; Alfred Larocque, 1862-1865; Rev. A. Giband, P.S.S., 1864-1866; Rev. P.L. Leblanc, canon, 1865-1876; Louis Belanger, advocate (later judge supreme court), 1865-1874; P.S. Murphy (later member of the council of public instruction), 1865-1884; Rev. V. Rousselot, P.S.S., pastor of Notre Dame, 1866-1886; E.H. Trudel, physician, 1868-1869; Francis Cassidy, advocate, 1868-1869.

THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE BOARDS

From 1846 to 1869 the school commissioners were appointed by the corporation of Montreal to hold office for two years. Since 1869 three are appointed by the provincial government and three by the corporation for three years.

In 1856 two bills, regarding higher and elementary education, became law on the report of Doctor Meilleur. They provided, among other things, for the distribution, through the superintendent of education and on his report, of the Lower Canada superior education fund among the various universities, colleges, academies, and model schools; for the establishment of three model schools instead of one; the appointment of a council of public instruction for Lower Canada; the publication of journals of education in English and French and the creation, as in Upper Canada, of a superannuated common school teachers’ fund.

In 1857 the long delayed establishment by government of normal schools at length took place. On the 2d of March the Jacques Cartier and the McGill Normal Schools1were inaugurated with fitting ceremonies at Montreal, to be followed in May by the Laval Normal School at Quebec. The Protestant Normal School at Montreal was established in the Belmont Street School until the Macdonald College Normal School was opened. Several private attempts to provide normal schools had been made, however, before this date. In 1854 a model school was opened on Bonaventure Street (St. James), maintained by the Colonial Church and School Society as one of a group of Protestant schools throughout the Dominion. This society (formerly the “Church Colonial Society” and the “Newfoundland School Society”), in connection with the Church of England, originated in London in 1823; it extended to Canada in 1838. In January, 1851, the two societies were united and became the “Colonial Church and School Society.” In May, 1861, it became the “Continental Church and School Society.” In 1863, 105 schools had been established, or at one time aided, by this society.

The school laws relating to the city of Montreal were amended by the act of 1868-69, and the present system firmly established by charters of incorporation being granted to both Protestant and Catholic boards to the effect that the Roman Catholic and Protestant boards of school commissioners of the city of Montreal have always been and now are bodies politic and corporate, and as such havealways enjoyed and now enjoy all the rights and privileges of corporation under the respective names of “the Roman Catholic board of school commissioners of the city of Montreal” and the “Protestant board of school commissioners of the city of Montreal,” as the case may be. The commissioners were to have a right to hold real estate to any amount. The annual revenue to be paid by the government was to be according to the relative proportion of the Roman Catholic and Protestant populations in the city. In addition there was to be a special city school tax collected by the city so that the corporation should pay for division among both boards, a tax assessable on real estate payable by the proprietors equal to a stated per cent on the dollar.2The proprietors were placed under four panels, Roman Catholics, Protestants, neutral school tax from corporations or incorporated companies, or of those that have not declared in writing their desires to be inscribed on panels 1 or 2, and owners of real estate exempted from taxation. The neutral tax to be paid by corporations in proportion to the value of the property inscribed on panel 3 was to be divided between the Roman Catholic and Protestant boards according to the relative ratio of the Roman Catholic and Protestant population in the city, and the remainder in the relative ratio of the value of the property inscribed on panels 1 and 2 respectively. Jews3were empowered to inscribe on either of panels 1 or 2. Further source of revenue might come from additional amounts granted by the corporation of the city or from monthly school fees according to the nature of the schools, elementary, normal or academic, and from the issue of debentures, bonds, etc.

Since the passing of this act the progress in education has been very great, the number and dignity of the school buildings being marked.

Gradually most of the private schools came under the various commissions.

In 1870 the “old” Protestant high school came under the new board. Its history as the fostering ground of so many prominent citizens deserves special mention. The school opened September 25, 1843, with sixty-five pupils, in the Bigham building on St. Denis Street, near Notre Dame Street. It was foundedabout 1843, and shortly after its organization the Royal Grammar School was merged into it. The next home was in the semi-ecclesiastical buildings on Belmont Street, the cornerstone of this erection having been laid by Lord Metcalfe Governor-General, on July 11, 1845, after the act of incorporation in the same year.4Shortly before 1857 the high school was transferred to the premises now used by the Fraser Library and Institute. Its first principal was the Rev. George Foster Simpson. On his resignation Reverend Dr. Howe succeeded in 1848, and on his retirement in 1891 he was followed by the Rev. Dr. Elson S. Rexford, to be succeeded in 1904 by the present principal, Mr. Wellington Dixon.

“This school was in many respects,” said one who remembers it well, “a worthy example of this type. The masters whom I recall were the rector, Dr. H. Aspinwall Howe, brisk, alert, competent, self-possessed, showing many of the qualities of an English parsonage and of an Irish breeding; Mr. Rodger, stern, just, a Scotchman of serious type, an aquamarine set in steel, was highly regarded by his pupils for his unswerving uprightness; Mr. Gibson, tall, spare, peering, of classical proclivities; Mr. (later Doctor) Murray, a short, rotund Englishman, whose strong point was not discipline and whose pupils in their noisy acclamation wore with their heels a long, deep trench in front of their recitation form; Mr. Tronteau, instructor in French, who lacked that final something which commands the respect of British boys. Disciplinary trouble caused his retirement shortly afterward.” Other contemporaries and pupils of Doctor Murray remember him as a most lovable man, a lover of his kind, a deep scholar, a thinker with a brilliant pen and a high poetic and critical faculty. Another teacher closely connected with Doctor Howe was Dr. S.P. Robins, who became one of the foremost educationalists in Canada. The old high school, the scholarly gentlemen who taught this and its other memories are regarded with veneration by the Protestant grandfathers of Montreal of today who gathered there their love of culture and their upright principles under its successive roofs.

The next location of the high school was on Peel Street. It was handed over to the school commissioners in 1870.5

In 1890 it was destroyed by the act of foolish boy incendiaries. But a more commodious building was erected on the same site and continued its progressive work till 1914, when it was sold. In the meantime the new high school, a handsome building, being prepared on University Street, above Sherbrooke Street, was opened on September 8, 1914, to receive its new generation.

The past commissioners under the act of 1868-69 are as follows:

Rev. John Jenkins, D.D., chairman, February, 1869, to June, 1884; Rev. Canon Bancroft, D.D., LL.D., February, 1869, to June, 1877; Rev. D.H. MacVicar, D.D., LL.D., February, 1869, to June, 1876; June, 1878, to June, 1879; June,1884, to December, 1902; William Lunn, February, 1869, to July, 1883; Hon. James Ferrier, senator, February, 1869, to July, 1872; T.M. Thompson, city councillor, February, 1869, to April, 1872; Principal William J. Dawson, LL. D., F.R.S., F.G.S., April, 1872, to August, 1883; W. Frederick Kay, alderman, July, 1872, to July, 1875; G.W. Stephens, B.C.L., alderman, July, 1875, to June, 1884; Samuel E. Dawson, June, 1876, to June, 1878; Rev. J.F. Stevenson, LL. D., June, 1877, to June, 1887; Rev. Canon Norman, M.A., D.C.L., June, 1879, to February, 1888; Richard Holland, alderman, August, 1883, to June, 1891; J.H. Mooney, alderman, June, 1883, to June, 1889; J.C. Wilson, alderman, June, 1884, to June, 1887; Rev. A.G. Upham, June, 1887, to November, 1890; J.S. Archibald, D.C.L., Q. C, alderman, June, 1887, to June, 1890; E. Thompson, alderman, June, 1891, to June, 1894; D. Wilson, alderman, June, 1889, to June, 1895; R. Wilson-Smith, alderman and mayor, June, 1895, to June, 1898; R. Costigan, alderman, June, 1894, to June, 1900; James McBride, alderman, June, 1890, to June, 1902; Very Rev. Dean Evans, D.D., D.C.L., February, 1888, to June, 1906; H.A. Ekers, alderman and mayor, June, 1898, to June, 1906; Farquhar Robertson, alderman, June, 1900, to June, 1906; G.W. Stephens, M.P.P., June, 1906, to August, 1907; H.B. Yates, M.D., alderman, June, 1906, to June, 1910; Rev. W.I. Shaw, D.D., LL. D., D.C.L., November, 1890, to March, 1911; I.H. Stearns, alderman, June, 1902, to June, 1911; Rev. James Barclay, January, 1903, to June, 1914; R. Turner, alderman, June, 1906, to June, 1912; Rev. H. Symonds, D.D., LL. D., June, 1907, to June, 1912; James Robinson, alderman, June, 1910, to June, 1913; Rev. W.R. Young, D.D., May, 1911, to June, 1913; Joseph Ward, alderman, August, 1911, to June, 1914; Rev. J. Scrimger, August, 1912; W.S. Weldon, alderman, July 1, 1914.

SCHOOLS PAST AND PRESENT UNDER THE PROTESTANT BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS OF THE CITY OF MONTREAL

High School of Montreal.—Founded in 1845 and transferred to the Board September 1, 1870. Moved to new building in Peel Street. Destroyed by fire, November 28, 1890. Rebuilt and officially opened, June 20, 1892. Iron Fire Escapes erected in 1909. New site purchased in 1911 on University Street. Building opened on September 8, 1914.

Preparatory High School.—Opened, September, 1870. Transferred to the High School of Montreal, September, 1891.

High School for Girls.—Opened in private dwellings, 131 and 133 Metcalfe Street, in September, 1875, and transferred to High School buildings in Peel Street, 1892. Cookery Room equipped in 1908. Iron Fire Escapes erected in 1909.

Commercial and Technical High School.—Opened, September, 1906.

Senior school. Opened in leased premises in Ontario Street, September 1877. Afterwards removed to Burnside Hall, and subsequently transferred to new premises in Metcalfe Street. Transferred to Commercial and Technical High School, September, 1906.

Aberdeen School.—Opened, September, 1896. Enlarged by twelve rooms, February, 1906. Assembly Hall converted into four class rooms, September, 1908. Ventilation remodeled, 1908. Iron Fire Escapes erected in 1909.

Sherbrooke Street School.—Opened, September 1, 1874. Closed and pupils transferred to Aberdeen School, September, 1896.

St. Lawrence Street School.—Opened in a rented building in 1871. Transferred to Sherbrooke Street School, September 1, 1874.

Alexandra School.—Site purchased and building erected in 1910. Opened in February, 1911.

Trinity School.—Opened in the basement of Trinity Church, St. Denis Street, September, 1909. Closed and pupils transferred to the Alexandra School, February, 1911.

Amherst Park School.—Transferred to the Board, July 1, 1913.

Belmont Street School.—Opened in September, 1907, in the McGill Normal School Buildings, leased from the Provincial Government. Lease renewed for a period of five years from July 1, 1911.

Baron de Hirsch Day School, St. Elizabeth Street.—Subsidized by the Board 18—to 1904. Moved to new building, 250 Bleury Street, and conducted under the management of the Board from September, 1904, to June, 1907. Agreement terminated June, 1907, and accommodation for pupils provided in the Belmont Street School in September, 1907.

Berthelet Street School.—37 Berthelet Street.—Opened in September, 1886. Iron Fire Escapes erected in 1909.

Ontario Street School.—Opened in leased premises in 1876. Closed and pupils transferred to Berthelet Street School.

St. George’s School.—Maintained by Colonial and Continental Church and School Society. (Subsidized, 1878.) Discontinued after June, 1886.

Bordeaux School.—Territory annexed to that of the Board, July 1, 1913. Dwelling house purchased and converted into a two-roomed school. School opened, September 2, 1913.

Britannia Street School.—Opened, October 1, 1887. Janitor’s apartments and the basement of the school building remodeled, 1909.

Mill Street School.—Opened in Government Immigration Building in Britannia Street, September, 1877. Transferred to Britannia Street School, October, 1887.

Côte des Neiges School.—Transferred to the Board, July 1, 1911

Delorimier School.—Transferred to the board, July 1, 1910. Site enlarged by purchase of adjoining lots, 1911.

Dufferin School.—Opened, March 5, 1894. Enlarged by addition of nine rooms, February, 1906. Assembly Hall converted into four class-rooms September, 1907. Fire Tower erected in 1908. Iron Fire Escapes erected in 1909. Lavatories remodeled, 1912.

British and Canadian School.—Established in 1822. Transferred to the Board in 1866. New storey added and interior rearranged September 15, 1873. Closed and pupils transferred to Dufferin School, March 4, 1894.

Dorchester Street School.—Opened at 381 Dorchester Street in September, 1874. Closed and pupils transferred to Dufferin School, March 4, 1894.

French Protestant School.—Opened, October, 1875, and shortly afterwards transferred to Dorchester Street School.

Earl Grey School.—School site purchased 1907. School opened September 1908. Enlarged by the addition of eight rooms September, 1910.

Boulevard School.—Transferred to the Board in 1906. School building closed and pupils transferred to the Earl Grey School, corner Comte and Amherst streets, September, 1908.

Edward VII School.—Site purchased, 1911. School erected, 1912. School opened for reception of pupils, November, 1912.

Fairmount School.—Transferred to the Board, July 1, 1910. Heating and ventilation remodeled and the building enlarged by the addition of twelve rooms, September, 1911.

Lansdowne School.—Opened, September, 1891. Enlarged by six rooms, February, 1906. Iron Fire Escapes erected in 1909.

Panet Street School.—Opened, 1860. Closed and pupils transferred to Lansdowne School, September, 1891.

Quebec Suburbs School.—Opened in a private house on Papineau Square in April, 1850. Destroyed by fire, July 8, 1852. School continued in Colborne Avenue. Closed and pupils transferred to the Panet Street School, 1860.

De Salaberry Street School.—Opened in 1870. Closed September, 1891. Pupils transferred to Lansdowne School, 1891.

Lorne School.—Opened, September, 1891. Assembly Hall converted into three class-rooms September, 1907. Entrances remodeled, and Fire Escapes built, 1908. Iron Fire Escapes erected 1909.

St. Gabriel School.—Transferred to the Board in 1878. Transferred to Lorne School, September, 1891.

Mount Royal School, formerly St. Urbian St or St. Jean Baptiste.—Renamed 1893-94. Enlarged in 1898. Enlarged by twelve rooms, February, 1906 Enlarged by two rooms, September, 1907. Ventilation remodeled in 1908. Assembly Hall converted into four class-rooms, 1909. Fire Escapes built,1909. Mission Hall adjoining purchased, January, 1911, and converted into a Kindergarten Class Room, February, 1911.

St. Jean Baptiste School. Transferred to the Board in 1886. Removed to new building in St. Urbain Street, April, 1889. Enlarged and renamed Mount Royal School, September, 1894.

Riverside School, formerly Point St. Charles School.—Renamed. Enlarged in 1894. Enlarged by addition of eight class rooms, September, 1908, and ventilation remodelled; entrances remodelled. Two Fire Towers built on school building, 1908. Two Iron Fire Escapes built, 1909.

Point St. Charles School on Favard Street.—Opened, January, 1876. Renamed Riverside.

Grace Church School.—Opened in the school room of Grace Church, September, 1872. Closed, January, 1876; re-opened, March, 1887. Closed, September, 1891.

St. Matthew’s School.—Opened in school room of St. Matthew’s Church, January, 1874. Closed, September, 1891.

Rosemount School.—Transferred to the Board, July 1st, 1911. Assembly Hall Converted into two class rooms, September, 1911. Boardroom converted into a class room, September, 1913.

Royal Arthur School.—Opened, February 11th, 1870, by H.R.H. Prince Arthur. Remodelled in 1888. Partially destroyed by fire, January 18th, 1909. New building erected on former site during 1909-10 and opened in September, 1910.

Sarah Maxwell Memorial School.—Erected on the site of the former Hochelaga School. Opened, April 6th, 1908. Enlarged by addition of four rooms, 1912.

Hochelaga School.—Transferred to the Board in April, 1884. Removed to new building in Prefontaine Street, November 17th, 1890. School burned, February 26th, 1907. Replaced by the Sarah Maxwell Memorial School, 1908.

Shaw Memorial Church School.—Opened in rented basement of Shaw Memorial Church, September, 1913.

Strathearn School.—Site purchased, and plans prepared, 1912. Building erected 1912-13 and opened for the reception of pupils, September 2nd, 1913.

Victoria School.—Corner Stone laid June 20th, 1887. School opened September 1st, 1888. Fire escapes built in 1909. Enlarged by addition of Gymnasium Sloyd and Cookery Rooms, in 1911.

William Dawson School.—Site purchased June, 1908. Building erected in 1910-11. Opened, April, 1911.

Berri Street School.—Transferred to the Board in 1905. New site purchasedin June, 1908. Building closed and pupils transferred to the William Dawson School, April, 1911.

William Lunn School.—Erected on the site of the former Ann Street School. Opened, October 6th, 1908.

Ann Street School.—Established 1850 in a rented building. Property purchased in 1853. Wing added to building in 1864. Transferred to new building in Ann Street in April, 1872. Heating and ventilation remodelled in 1890. Destroyed by fire, August 26th, 1907. Rebuilt in 1908 and renamed the William Lunn School. Pupils transferred to the new building, October 6th, 1908.

Youville School.—Transferred to the Board, July 1st, 1913.

A GROUP OF SCHOOLS UNDER THE PROTESTANT COMMISSIONERS

Royal Arthur—Erected 1910Royal Arthur—Erected 1910

Royal Arthur—Erected 1910

Montreal high schoolMontreal high school

Montreal high school

Edward VII—Erected 1912Edward VII—Erected 1912

Edward VII—Erected 1912

Fairmount—Enlarged 1911Fairmount—Enlarged 1911

Fairmount—Enlarged 1911

Alexandra—Erected 1910Alexandra—Erected 1910

Alexandra—Erected 1910

Strathearn—Erected 1913Strathearn—Erected 1913

Strathearn—Erected 1913

THE CATHOLIC SCHOOL COMMISSION

The board of the Catholic schools commissioners under the act of 1868-9 has been served by:

The Rev. V. Rousselot, P.S.S., 1868-1886; Rev. P.L. Leblanc, canon, 1868-1876; P.S. Murphy, 1868-1884; Louis Belanger, 1868-1874; Edward Murphy, 1868-1869; Narcisee Valois, alderman, 1869-1870; Severe Rivard, advocate, 1870-1878; J.A. Ouimet, advocate (later minister of public works), 1874-1879; Rev. E. Moreau, canon, 1876-1880; Jacques Grenier, alderman, 1878-1887; E.C. Monk, advocate, 1879-1883; Rev. P.C. Dufresne, canon, 1880-1881; L.O. Hetu, notary, 1880-1883; Very Rev. N.Z. Lorrain, V.G., 1881-1882; Very Rev. L.D.A. Maréchal, V.G., canon, 1883-1892; H.B. Rainville, alderman, 1883-1886; F.D. Monk, advocate, 1883-1891; Rev. A.L. Sentenne, P.S.S., pastor of Notre Dame, 1886-1894; R. Préfontaine, M.P., alderman, 1886-1903: A.S. Hamelin, ex-alderman, 1887-1893; J.H. Semple, merchant, 1887-1892; F.L. Beique, advocate, 1891-1893; Rev. A.P. Dubuc, 1892-1894; F.J. Hart, merchant, 1893-1894;6C. Beausoleil, M.P., alderman, 1895-1902; W. Farrell, merchant, 1893-1901; M.T. Brennan, M.D., 1891-1896; L.E. Desjardins, M.D., 1894-1895; Rev. J. Quinlivan, P.S.S., 1894-1897; Rev. J.W. Leclaire, P.P., 1894-1902; Rev. P.M. Bruchesi, canon, 1894-1897, 1894-1900 (now archbishop of Montreal); C.S. de Lorimier, judge, Superior Court, 1895-1896; B. Connaughton, judge, Superior Court, 1896-1899; Mgr. Z. Racicot, P.A., vicar general (became auxiliary bishop of Montreal), 1897-1905; P.J. Martineau, advocate, 1897-1907; L.P. Demers, advocate, M.P., 1898-1904, 1899-1911 (now judge of Superior Court), 1899-1911; Daniel Gallery, alderman, 1900-1904; Rev. C. Larocque, P.P., 1901-1904; J.R. Savignac, 1901-1904; A.S. Hamelin, ex-alderman, 1902-1908; Martin Callaghan, P.P., 1902-1905; H. Laporte, alderman (afterward mayor), 1903-1906; N.A. Troie, P.S.S., P.P. Notre Dame, 1904-1906; C. Piché, K.C., M.P., 1904-1908: S.D. Vallières, alderman, 1904-1907; L. Abbé P. Perrier, March 23, 1905-December 15, 1905; G. Dauth, canon, December 15, 1905-1910; W. O’Meara, canon, P.P., 1905——; F.L.T. Adam, canon, P.P., 1906-1909; L. Payette, alderman (afterwards mayor), 1907-1910:L.A. Lapointe, alderman, 1907——; E. Lafontaine, judge, Superior Court, 1907——; J.P. Décarie, M.D., 1908——; J.M. Demers, P.P., 1909-1910; Joseph McLaughlin, 1909-1910; Mgr. Emile Roy, V.G., P.A., 1910——; Anthime Corbeil, P.P., St. Joseph, 1910——; Napoleon Giroux, alderman, 1910——; L. A. Lavallée, K. C, mayor, 1911-1914; Emery Larivière, alderman, 1914——.

The following is the history of some of the earlier schools of the Commission:

The “Plateau” school in 1871 became the headquarters of the new board of Catholic school commissioners. Its situation on a plateau, between St. Catherine, St. Urbain and Ontario streets, gives it its popular name. Its official title is the Commercial Academy, which was founded in 1853 on Cote Street and which was transferred to the plateau in 1871. The Montcalm School dates back to 1860 when it was formerly known as the Académie Sainte Marie; this was on Craig Street, 157. It is the oldest institution under the board. The Champlain School formerly the Ecole St. Vincent, was built in 1870 and rebuilt in 1890 at 164 Fullum Street. Belmont School, 245 Guy Street, was founded in 1878. Its first principal was P.L. O’Donaghue. Olier School, 216 Roy Street (now 282), was formerly the St. Denis Academy under the direction of Mr. Primeau, and was founded in 1875. In 1878 it was moved to Roy Street. Sarsfield School was built in 1870, at 97 Grand Trunk Street. Plessis Street School, 383 Plessis Street (now 505), was founded in 1878 and was entrusted to the Brothers of the Christian Schools. St. Gabriel School, 350 Centre Street. St. Alphonsus, 120 Conway Street, was built in 1890.

The names and addresses of schools controlled by the Board at present are as follows:

The commission is at present building six new buildings and four of them will be completed during the present year.

It should be borne in mind that the above list does not represent the full number of Catholic schools in Montreal in 1914, in a population of over four hundred and sixty-six thousand, of which over two-thirds are Catholics. The above are only those schools controlled by the “Montreal Catholic school board” which is no longer an exact expression.

For it must be understood that while from a municipal point of view, the City of Montreal has grown by successive annexations which have considerably enlarged its territory and the number of its inhabitants, nevertheless the Catholic School Board has not enlarged its domain. Its jurisdiction is exercised only within the limits of the old city before annexations. The towns and villages lately annexed have preserved their school autonomy, so that what with the towns or villages annexed for municipal, but not for school purposes, and those not in any way annexed, there are altogether about thirty-two different school boards in what is considered the metropolis of Montreal.

There are now more pupils in the many schools of the territory outside the scope of the Central Commission than are under its regulation. This should becarefully understood, else the above list would indeed look small for so large a Catholic city.

THE OLD “BLACK” NUNNERYTHE OLD “BLACK” NUNNERYThe northeast portion of the garden of the convent of the “Congregation de Notre Dame,” founded by Marguerite Bourgeoys in 1659. The present buildings are those of the third convent, the previous two having been burned. The projected extension of St. Lawrence Boulevard to the harbor necessitates the demolition of the convent and the adjoining church of Notre Dame de Pitie.

THE OLD “BLACK” NUNNERY

The northeast portion of the garden of the convent of the “Congregation de Notre Dame,” founded by Marguerite Bourgeoys in 1659. The present buildings are those of the third convent, the previous two having been burned. The projected extension of St. Lawrence Boulevard to the harbor necessitates the demolition of the convent and the adjoining church of Notre Dame de Pitie.

WOMEN TEACHING ORGANIZATIONS—THE “CONGREGATION”

The chief women organizations at present cooperating with the Catholic school commission have an interesting history. The early history of the pioneering work for education in Montreal by the Congregation Nuns has been told in the first volume. To resume in brief, on November 25, 1657, Marguerite Bourgeoys, with Madame Marguerite Pacaud, opened the first school proper, in Montreal in a stable (36 by 18 feet) given by M. de Maisonneuve, facing the Hôtel Diéu on St. Paul Street. In 1666 a boarding school for young girls was opened by her. In 1670, the stable being insufficient, a large house in stone was built. In 1683 the house was burnt down and two of her community, Géneviève Durosoy and Marguerite Soumillard perished. The Congregation immediately commenced, with only 40 sols, to build their house in the “haut ville,” on ground donated to them adjoining the Hôtel Diéu. This was the site on which the subsequent convent additions were built and which has recently, in 1912, been purchased by the city for the elongation of St. Lawrence Boulevard. In 1713 the northeast wing of the convent was commenced for a “pensionnat” which received a foundation of 13,000livresfrom Jeanne Le Ber, the recluse of Notre Dame de Pitié church, erected since 1693 in the convent grounds. The revenue from this sum was to educate and board gratuitously seven young girls. In 1768, on April 11th, a second fire destroyed all the buildings of the convent. In 1823 the Sisters added to their establishment a three-story building. When the great movement for popular education was promoted in 1833 by M. Quiblier, superior of the Seminary, some of the Sisters left their convent to open extern free day schools, first, Externat Ste. Marie, opened September 21, 1833, on Craig and Visitation streets, and, second, Externat St. Laurent, 324 St. Catherine Street, to be followed, in successive years till today, by other “externats,” a course which has entitled them to much public recognition. In 1845 the nuns adjoined the annex to thepensionnat—a building 300 by 57 feet, erected on St. Jean Baptiste Street. In 1854 a secondpensionnatwas added, called “Villa Maria” by the purchase of Monklands, a residence southwest of Mountain, the original home of the “Monk” family, which became the official residence of the governor general. It was there that Lord Elgin retired after signing the rebellion losses bill. In 1860 the original pensionnat, dating from 1666, was removed from the old site to Mount St. Mary, to the building used as the St. Patrick’s Hospital for the Irish from 1852 to 1860, and before that as a Baptist college.

In 1880 the mother house and the novitiate were transferred to the western slope of Mount Royal, near Villa Maria. The handsome new building was burnt to the ground on June 8, 1893. The community returned to their old home on St. Jean Baptiste Street, which in the meantime had been used as the normal school entrusted to the nuns, since 1898, for the education of female bodies for the Province. But a new mother house was preparing; which they entered in July, 1908. It is an immense building, one of the largest in the world devoted to religious purposes. It is built in the Romanesque style. This building is the home of the college for the higher education of women in affiliation with Laval University.

The Normal School for girls to be trained for Catholic teachers for the Province of Quebec has been connected with their organization since its foundation, on September 14, 1898.

SISTERS OF THE HOLY NAMES OF JESUS AND MARY

The institution of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary is a Montreal foundation which has spread over Canada, Oregon, California, and many parts of the United States. It had for its foundress Mlles. Eulalie Durocher (afterwards, in religion, Mother Maria Rose), Melodie Dufresne and Henriette Céré, who began their work of teaching the young in October, 1843, in a modest house in Longueuil. In 1844 it was formed into a religious community and the Sisters took possession of their convent there. On December 8th the foundresses took their first religious vows and on August 15, 1846, their final vows. The work of teaching may be said to be definitely founded in 1845. It has steadily progressed. The Sisters have about 27,470 children who attended school under their charge in 1913. They have fifty-six establishments and direct twenty-five parochial schools in Canada alone.

Its principal schools are the Hochelaga Convent and the imposing convent at Outremont, on St. Catherine Road.

On the Eastern slope of Mount Royal, built on one of the choicest sites of Montreal, is the Outremont boarding-school. A magnificent panorama of the surrounding country may be seen from the upper steps of the Convent. The immense cutstone building, of modern architecture, is surrounded by verdant lawns and gravel walks, whereon the pupils may indulge in all the pastimes of convent life. The course of studies is the same as at Hochelaga, although the appointments may be more modern. A beautiful white chapel, with its marble altars, burnished brass communion-table and stained glass windows, is worthy of attention. A museum is located in the dome which overtops the building.

SISTERS OF THE HOLY CROSS

Another body cooperating with the Catholic School Commission, is that of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, founded in 1841, at Mans, France, by Father Anthony Moreau and Mother Mary of the Seven Dolors, née Leocadie Gascoin. In May, 1847, at the formal request of Rev. J.B. Saint Germain, Pastor of St. Laurent, Bishop Bourget, on his return from Europe, brought three nuns from this recently organized institute to establish a branch in Canada. Its beginnings were very humble and, perhaps on account of its distance from the mother-house, it made little progress during the first thirty-five years of its existence. After this ordeal, it suddenly underwent a wonderful transformation and now numbers 623 members, 530 professed and 98 novices, and owns 40 prosperous houses situated in three provinces, wherein upwards of 14,000 children are educated. The Convent still occupies its original site, but has undergone so many improvements that it is now as fine and massive a structure as any of the more modern buildings. The boarding-school, attached to the mother-house and novitiate, Notre Dame Des Anges, offers every facility for the physical and intellectual development of youth. The course comprises a termof nine years. There are 250 pupils under tuition. The house confers diplomas on such as graduate with honors. Its fine museum is noted for its rare collections and for their intelligent and scientific classification; its physical-culture class caters to the requirements of modern ideas; its vast library contains 4,500 volumes, the best works of French and English authors.


Back to IndexNext