HIGHER EDUCATION FOR WOMEN: Royal Victoria CollegeHIGHER EDUCATION FOR WOMEN: Royal Victoria College
HIGHER EDUCATION FOR WOMEN: Royal Victoria College
HIGHER EDUCATION FOR WOMEN: Mother House of the Congregation De Notre DameHIGHER EDUCATION FOR WOMEN: Mother House of the Congregation De Notre Dame
HIGHER EDUCATION FOR WOMEN: Mother House of the Congregation De Notre Dame
St. Basil’s Boarding School was erected in 1895, and opened the following year under the supervision of the Sisters of the Holy Cross. More than 350 pupils take the full English and French course, and are eventually awarded the diploma of the house, or the academic, if they pass the examination of the Board of Catholic Examiners of the Province of Quebec.
SISTERS OF ST. ANNE
The Sisters of St. Anne is another teaching congregation assisting the Catholic School Commission. It was founded at Vaudreuil in 1850 by Miss Esther Lureau dit Blondin. The order now extends over four provinces of which two are in Canada, with 54 houses of which 21 are at the diocese of Montreal. The convent at Lachine, formerly the residence of Sir George Simpson, governor of the Hudson’s Bay Company, is their chief establishment in Montreal; another is the large boarding-house at St. Henri.
OTHER CONGREGATIONS
Among the congregations not primarily teaching organizations, but charitable institutions with schools attached to the Board, the Sisters of Providence conducting the schools of the orphanage of St. Alexis founded in 1864, and schools of St. Vincent de Paul, and of the Jardin de L’Enfance founded in 1881. This congregation accepts a subsidy from the School Commission. It also teaches the School of the Deaf Mutes, but not under the Commission as in the other case.
The Grey Nuns also receive subsidies under the Commission for their instruction in the classes of l’Asyle Bethlehem on Richmond Square, founded by the Hon. C.S. Rodier and “Nazareth” Asylum on St. Catherine Street, founded in 1860, for the blind. The history of these organizations will be found in another section.
MEN’S TEACHING ORGANIZATIONS
The coming of the Brothers of the Christian Schools to Montreal in 1837 must be chronicled at some length since the modern Catholic primary educational system for the boys of the city has been so largely under their hands. The first project of the establishment in Canada of the “Christian” Brothers, as they are now popularly called, dates back as far as the year before the death of the founder of the institute, St. Jean Baptiste de la Salle, 1718, but negotiations were broken off. In 1733 Brothers Denis and Pacificus were sent to Montreal to study the situation, but with no results. Nearly a century later, in 1830, the superior of the seminary and vicar general of the diocese, Abbé Quiblier, made overtures to Brother Anacletus, who then governed the institute, for a settlement for the brothers to teach the boys whose education had never been so systematicallyorganized as that of the girls. Numbers being small, it was not till 1837, on November 7th, that three brothers, the first to visit America, arrived at the seminary, where they were entertained as guests for six months, till they were installed in their first novitiate on St. Francois Xavier Street, the gift of the Sulpicians, in a house adjoining the school. On December 23, 1837, they commenced their classes in the seminary building. Two classes were immediately filled, to be quickly succeeded by a third.
As the scholars grew M. Quiblier acquired for the brothers an old country house of one of the governors of Montreal in Coté Street, which formed a second novitiate and a temporary school. In 1840 there was added, parallel to the novitiate, a new school (St. Lawrence) built in stone and in 1841 there were in the two schools eight classes with 860 scholars who were visited by a Lord Sydenham. In 1842 the brothers began to wear the three cornered caps of their congregation, now so familiar on the streets in Montreal. Up to this they had not been permitted this privilege. The prejudice against the body of religious not priests wearing a religious habit will be remembered by those familiar with the history of the Charron Brothers before the English regime.
Further French classes were opened by them. In 1843 two special classes for the Irish children were begun in the old convent of the Récollets. In 1843, also, the Brothers were invited to Quebec and later to other places in Canada and in America. Again Montreal is seen as the distributing point of influence through education. A French-Canadian journal has said: “Ce grain de senevé, jeté sur les rives du St. Laurent a donné naissance à un arbre magnifique dort les rameaux bienfaisants ombrageat les principaux centres du Canada et des Etats Unis.” The numerous homes of education of this body and the lists of their educational output of school text-books deserve a more prolonged study than space permits here. The Brothers have done for the boys the work that the Congregation of Marguerite Bourgeoys has done for the girls. At present, around Montreal alone, these have over twenty communities presiding over colleges or schools.
Besides their many elementary schools, the Brothers of the Christian Schools have the large “Collège de Mont St. Louis” on Sherbrooke Street, which being divided into three courses, elementary, commercial and scientific, prepares its pupils for the polytechnical schools and the different university courses.
OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
Of the male teaching religious organizations acting under the Commission there are the “Sacred Heart,” the “Marist,” the St. Gabriel, and the “Presentation” Brothers, and the Brothers of the Christian Schools.
—LAY TEACHERS
A third class of those cooperating with the board are the layteachers. The early teachers especially are deserving of every praise for their efforts to meet the call for education. We have already indicated the names of some of those who taught school before the Union, a partial list of others who worked for the most part independently of any support chiefly during the first School Act between 1846 and 1868 may be a fitting tribute. The dates subjoined give theofficial opening of school, the name being the principal. (Cf. “Annuaire de Ville Marie” by Hugues-Latour):
May 1, 1843, Mlle. Portias; May 1, 1844, Mlle. Sophie Godaire; September 1, 1853, The Academie Commercial Catholique, founded by the Catholic Commissioners; August 1, 1856, Mrs. Mary Mullin, No. 13 St. Alexander Street; September 1, 1852, Mlle. Caroline Gibeau; October 4, 1852, Mlle. A. Lefebre; September 1, 1854, Mlle. Sophia Casson; September 1, 1857, School for Boys and Girls, under the direction of Mr. and Mrs. Clark, Mlle. Lacombe and Mr. Octave Clark; September 1, 1857, St. Ann’s Male School, McCord Street, founded by Mr. Andrew Keegan; October 11, 1858, Mlle. Richard; May 1, 1859, Montreal Select Model School, founded by Mr. W. Doran; June 11, 1859, Mme. Lafontaine; July, 1859, Mlles. Lesage; August 1, 1859, Mlle. Louise Larivière; August 15, 1859, St. Ann’s Female School, founded by Miss Marguerite Lawless; May 1, 1861, Mlle. Varin, for English and French; May 1, 1861, Académie St. Marie, founded by School of Christian Brothers; September 1, 1861, M. Charles Lafontaine; July 14, 1862, St. Patrick’s Model School, English and French (Girls), School Commissioners, Wellington Street; September 1, 1862, Mlle. A.M. Clark, English and French (Girls); September 1, 1862, Mlle. Corinne Boudreau, English and French (Girls); January 23, 1863, Académie St. Joseph, M. Joseph Mauffet, and evening school for men, M. and Madame Mauffet; May 16, 1863, Model School for Boys, French, School Commissioners; August 1, 1863, St. Patrick’s Model School, School Commissioners; August 1, 1863, St. Patrick’s Model School, School Commissioners; April 5, 1863, Mlles. Louise Lafricain and Jessie Lengley, English and French (Girls); May 1, 1863, Mlle. Josephine Cassant; April 4, 1863, Mrs. Jane Curran; July 1, 1863, Mlle. Aurélie Valade; September 1, 1863, Miss A.L. Cronin; September 1, 1863, Mlle. Louise Gingras; October 19, 1863, Mlle. Ida Labelle.
NOTE I
SECONDARY EDUCATION
In addition to the Elementary schools, there are many Catholic and Protestant schools and colleges which, in or around the city, provide for Secondary education mostly in preparation for a further University course. These are supplied by private citizens or corporate bodies; among them may be mentioned: Miss Edgar’s School, 507 Guy Street; Lower Canada College, Notre Dame de Grâce; the Catholic High School (Presentation Brothers), Durocher Street; Lyola College, Drummond Street; St. Marie’s College, Bleury Street; the Convent of the Ladies of the Sacred Heart, St. Alexander Street and Sault au Récollet; St. Laurent’s College (Holy Cross Brothers); Mort St. Louis College (Christian Brothers), Sherbrooke Street; and the academies for advanced education in connection with the different teaching Brotherhoods and Sisterhoods.
There are also many business schools.
NOTE II
TECHNICAL, COMMERCIAL AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION IN MONTREAL
The earliest attempt at technical education before the capitulation of 1760 will be found in Vol. I, Under The French Régime. The modern movement remains to be chronicled.
I
THE BOARD OF ARTS AND MANUFACTURES
In 1859 the Board of Arts and Manufactures of Lower Canada established a central school at Montreal.
In 1872, the Council of Arts and Manufactures made an attempt to put technical education on its feet. Hitherto the progress of industry had not been sufficiently perceived. The growth of manufactures following upon the National policy made the experiment more necessary. The early equipment was meager, the means small, and there were but few classes and few pupils. Still steady progress was made. In 1898 Mr. Thomas Gauthier became president and long steps in advance were made. There are now nearly three thousand pupils over the Province of Quebec, in Montreal, Quebec, St. Hyacinthe, Sherbrooke, Three Rivers, St. Jean, Lachine, Valleyfield, Sorel, Fraserville, Charny, St. Romuald, and Chicoutimi.
In Montreal alone there are over one thousand five hundred and ten pupils in four schools, of which the Monument National is the most important.
COMMERCIAL AND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL
Technical night schools are also provided at the Commercial and Technical High School, the successor of the Montreal Senior School. This latter school was organized by the Protestant Board of School Commissioners in September, 1877, to accommodate the classes of what was then known as the second senior grade of the public elementary schools. For a year the school met in a building on Ontario Street, between Bleury and Mance streets, and in 1878 was transferred to the old high school building at the corner of Dorchester and University streets, now the Fraser Institute, and in 1883 to the building on Burnside Place between Metcalfe and Peel streets.
In 1906 the course of study of the Montreal Senior School was revised, its name changed to the Commercial and Technical High School, and the school moved to its new building at 53 Sherbrooke Street West.
The former principals of the Montreal Senior School have been: F.S. Haight, M.A., 1877-1883; Alexander Pearson, 1883-1884; J. MacKercher, M.A., LL. D., 1884-1906.
Since becoming the Commercial and Technical High School they have been: J. MacKercher, M.A., LL. D., 1906-1914; E. Montgomery Campbell, B.A., 1914.
MONTREAL TECHNICAL SCHOOL
In 1911 the “Ecole Technique,” or the Montreal Technical School, maintained partly by the provincial and municipal governments by a contribution of $40,000, each, opened its courses in September. Its buildings, covering a space of 150,000 square feet, are on Sherbrooke Street, facing St. Famille Street. It is claimed with justice that it is equipped as well as any technical building of modern times. It is undenominational and it has also a French and an English side. There is in addition a further training school in the applied sciences, the“Polytechnique,” founded in 1874, which, having become affiliated, 1887, with Laval University is described elsewhere.
HAUTES ETUDES COMMERCIALESHAUTES ETUDES COMMERCIALES
HAUTES ETUDES COMMERCIALES
MONTREAL TECHNICAL SCHOOLMONTREAL TECHNICAL SCHOOL
MONTREAL TECHNICAL SCHOOL
COMMERCIAL AND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOLCOMMERCIAL AND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL
COMMERCIAL AND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL
II
ECOLE DES HAUTES ETUDES COMMERCIALES
A further school of a university character, but not affiliated with Laval or McGill universities, is the “Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales.” It was established in 1910, being opened on October 4th of that year, in its imposing buildings on Place Viger under the protection of the government of the province by the Premier, Sir Lomer Gouin, the first stone having been placed in October, 1908. The building cost $100,000 and was erected by MM. Gauthier and Daoust.
The object was to give a university college course in commerce leading up to a doctorate in commercial science such as is given in Europe under the title of “Ecoles des Hautes Etudes Commerciales,” the English translation of which is a misnomer, as it leaves the impression of the college being a mere “business school.” It is distinctly a forward movement for Canada. The tuition extends over a period of three years and includes instruction in general commercial affairs, banking, stock exchange and insurance business, and in the third year industrial and maritime business. There are numerous laboratories in which the chemistry of fabrics and other forms of analyses are taught.
The first board of administration was composed of: Isaie Prefontaine, president; Honoré Mercier, M.P.P.; J. Contant; H. Gervais, M.P.; C.F. Smith; and A.J. de Bray, the latter being the principal. The first professorial staff consisted of A.J. de Bray; Honorable Justice Laurendeau (civil law); E. Montpetit (political economy); J. Contant, C. Martin and J. Quintal (commercial science); Rev. Pére Bellevance (French); Rev. M. Desrosiers (history); W.H. Atherton (English); A. Duval (mathematics); H. Laureys (geography); C. Lechien (chemistry).
III
VOCATIONAL TRAINING
Vocational training for the blind, deaf, dumb and maimed, and industrial training given to delinquents are both treated in the section devoted to charitable works.
FOOTNOTES:
1The principal of Jacques Cartier Normal School was the Rev. Hospice Verreau and of McGill Normal, Dr. William Dawson.
1The principal of Jacques Cartier Normal School was the Rev. Hospice Verreau and of McGill Normal, Dr. William Dawson.
2The tax has by various amendments been increased until, at present, it is ½ cent on the dollar for Protestants and ⅖ cent for Catholics.
2The tax has by various amendments been increased until, at present, it is ½ cent on the dollar for Protestants and ⅖ cent for Catholics.
3Secular education of Montreal Jewish children is provided for in the public schools. There was no provision specially made for their education in the earlier education acts, but they were admitted into the schools of either the Protestant or the Catholic panels without question, so long as they remained few in number. When, however, the Jewish children began to form a very large percentage of those attending the public schools difficulties arose, owing to the claim being made that the taxes were not sufficient to cover the expense entailed. The problem gave rise to considerable agitation, but eventually the difficulty was overcome by an act passed through the Quebec Legislature in 1903 by which the rights of Jewish children to education in public schools on exactly the same footing as the children of Catholic and Protestant fellow-citizens were recognized, and for educational purposes the Jewish taxpayers were joined to the taxpayers of the Protestant panel, and all schools under this panel opened to them. These rights were secured largely through the work of the Jewish Educational Rights Movement Committee, which included a large number of the leading Jewish citizens of Montreal and which intrusted the legislative work to Mr. S.W. Jacobs, K. C, and Mr. Maxwell Goldstein, K. C.Education in the Hebrew language and literature, as well as religious education, is attended to by special schools organized by the Jews of Montreal. The most important body for the study of these branches is the Talmud Torah Association, which supports a very large and important school.
3Secular education of Montreal Jewish children is provided for in the public schools. There was no provision specially made for their education in the earlier education acts, but they were admitted into the schools of either the Protestant or the Catholic panels without question, so long as they remained few in number. When, however, the Jewish children began to form a very large percentage of those attending the public schools difficulties arose, owing to the claim being made that the taxes were not sufficient to cover the expense entailed. The problem gave rise to considerable agitation, but eventually the difficulty was overcome by an act passed through the Quebec Legislature in 1903 by which the rights of Jewish children to education in public schools on exactly the same footing as the children of Catholic and Protestant fellow-citizens were recognized, and for educational purposes the Jewish taxpayers were joined to the taxpayers of the Protestant panel, and all schools under this panel opened to them. These rights were secured largely through the work of the Jewish Educational Rights Movement Committee, which included a large number of the leading Jewish citizens of Montreal and which intrusted the legislative work to Mr. S.W. Jacobs, K. C, and Mr. Maxwell Goldstein, K. C.
Education in the Hebrew language and literature, as well as religious education, is attended to by special schools organized by the Jews of Montreal. The most important body for the study of these branches is the Talmud Torah Association, which supports a very large and important school.
4The Royal Grammer School was merged into the High School about this time. Its master, Mr. Skakel, died in 1848.
4The Royal Grammer School was merged into the High School about this time. Its master, Mr. Skakel, died in 1848.
5The first chairman of the High School under the newly created Board of Commissioners was Rev. John Jenkins. The secretary-treasurer was Mr. William Lunn. The commissioners were Rev. Canon Bancroft, Rev. Professor MacVicar, the Hon. James Ferrier, Mr. Alderman Thomson. Mr. W.C. Baynes was the secretary. The head-masters were Professor Howe, Mr. D. Rodgers, Mr. S.P. Robins; assistant masters, Mr. George Murray, Mr. J. Green, Prof. Darey, Mr. J. Andrew; assistants in the preparatory department, Miss A. Cairns, Miss Sicotte; infant class, Miss Dougall.
5The first chairman of the High School under the newly created Board of Commissioners was Rev. John Jenkins. The secretary-treasurer was Mr. William Lunn. The commissioners were Rev. Canon Bancroft, Rev. Professor MacVicar, the Hon. James Ferrier, Mr. Alderman Thomson. Mr. W.C. Baynes was the secretary. The head-masters were Professor Howe, Mr. D. Rodgers, Mr. S.P. Robins; assistant masters, Mr. George Murray, Mr. J. Green, Prof. Darey, Mr. J. Andrew; assistants in the preparatory department, Miss A. Cairns, Miss Sicotte; infant class, Miss Dougall.
6Since 1894 nine members have been acting on the commission.
6Since 1894 nine members have been acting on the commission.
UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENT
I. M’GILL UNIVERSITY
THE ROYAL INSTITUTION—JAMES M’GILL—CHARTER OBTAINED—THE “MONTREAL MEDICAL INSTITUTE” SAVES M’GILL—NEW LIFE IN 1829—THE RECTOR OF MONTREAL—THE MERCHANTS’ COMMITTEE—M’GILL IN 1852—THE HISTORY OF THE FACULTIES—BUILDINGS—DEVELOPMENT SINCE 1895—RECENT BENEFACTORS—MACDONALD COLLEGE—THE STRATHCONA ROYAL VICTORIA COLLEGE FOR WOMEN. NOTE: THE UNION THEOLOGICAL MOVEMENT—THE JOINT BOARDS OF THE CONGREGATIONAL, ANGLICAN, PRESBYTERIAN AND WESLEYAN AFFILIATED COLLEGES.
II. LAVAL UNIVERSITY (MONTREAL DISTRICT)
THE STORY OF ITS COMPONENT PARTS—EVOLUTION FROM THE “ECOLES DE LATIN”—COLLEGE DE ST. RAPHAEL—ENGLISH STUDENTS—COLLEGE DECLAMATIONS—THE PETIT SEMINAIRE ON COLLEGE STREET—THE COLLEGE DE MONTREAL—THE SCHOOLS OF THEOLOGY AND PHILOSOPHY, CLASSICS, LAW AND MEDICINE—THE APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION “JAM DUDUM”—DESCRIPTION OF THE UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS—AFFILIATED BODIES—THE FACULTIES AND SCHOOLS. NOTE: NAMES OF EARLY “ENGLISH” STUDENTS AT THE “COLLEGE.”
I
M’GILL UNIVERSITY
As already said, the most important success of the “Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning” was the McGill University, which still carries the official title. Its founder, Mr. James McGill, who was one of the apostles of higher education in Canada, was born on October 6, 1744, at Glasgow, Scotland. He came to Montreal before the American Revolution with his brother Andrew, and became connected with the North West Company. He married Madame Desrivières, the widow of a French-Canadian. As a citizen his name stands well, having represented the west ward in the assembly and having been appointed also a member of the legislative council. At the outbreak of the War of 1812, he was a militia colonel and then, an old man, was made brigadier general. By hiswill of January 8, 1811, Mr. James McGill, not having any children, had bequeathed his landed estate, consisting of about forty-six acres, on Burnside and University streets, to the value then of £10,000,1and a like sum of money, for a university, but although the college bearing his name was incorporated by a royal charter in the year 1821, the bequest could not be used, its validity being disputed by his relatives.
The object of the gift was to found an Anglican college in a future provincial university, the erection of which had already been promised by the British government. Indeed, the citizens were led to believe that such a university was to be established by George III and endowed with Crown lands.
The four trustees appointed under the will were directed to convey the property of the bequest to the “Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning.” The conditions upon which the property was to be transferred were that the Royal Institution would, within ten years after the testator’s decease, erect and establish on his estate on Burnside and University streets, a college for the purpose of education and the advancement of learning in this province and that the college, or one of the colleges in the university, if established, should be named and perpetually be known and distinguished by the appellation of “McGill College.” Owing to persistent opposition by the leaders of one section of the people to any system of governmental education and to the refusal by the legislature to make the grants of land and money which had been promised, the proposed establishment of a provincial university by the British government was abandoned.
In so far as the McGill College was concerned, however, the Royal Institution at once took action by applying for a royal charter. Such was granted in 1821 and the Royal Institution prepared to take possession of the estate. But owing to protracted litigation this was not surrendered to them till 1829, when the work of teaching was begun in the incipient arts course and the faculty of medicine. That of medicine, however, had been in existence five years previously as a teaching body under the name of the Montreal Medical Institution, with power to admit to practice but not to confer degrees.
Since this body afterwards became the medical faculty of McGill and saved the projected university from dying of inanition it is entitled to special recognition. Its origin is closely connected with the founding of the general hospital. When this great charity was accomplished the attending medical staff was composed of the most prominent and ablest men in the city, Drs. W. Robertson, W. Caldwell, A.F. Holmes, J. Stephenson and H.P. Loedel. On October 20, 1822, these men met together “for the purpose of taking into consideration the expediency of establishing a medical school in this city,” and it was resolved “that the considerations which seemed to warrant so desirable an object should be drawn out and laid before the next meeting of the Board, to be held on the 27th of the same month, and that Drs. Stephenson and Holmes be appointed a committee for the said purpose.” Thus was started the first Canadian medical school, which afterwards, as we shall see, became the medical faculty of McGill University. The school was called the “Montreal Medical Institution,” and received the approvalof Lord Dalhousie, the Governor-in-Chief of Lower Canada, and he appointed the members of the Institution a Board of Examiners for the district of Montreal. Formerly these examinations had been conducted by a board of army medical officers, appointed by the Governor.
The first course of lectures was given in 1824, in a small wooden house in Place d’Armes, the site of which is now occupied by the Bank of Montreal. Twenty-five students attended the first session, and for some years there was no increase in the number.
The following is the advertisement of the lectures:
Anatomy and Physiology, J. Stephenson, M.D.; Chemistry and Pharmacy, A.F. Holmes, M.D.; Practice of Physic, W. Caldwell, M.D.; Midwifery and Diseases of Women, W. Robertson, Esq.; Materia Medica, H.P. Loedel, Esq.;2Surgery, J. Stephenson, M.D. In the course of the summer, 1825: Botany, A. F. Holmes.
The leading spirits of the school were Stephenson and Holmes, both Canadians, Stephenson by birth and Holmes by adoption, for he arrived in the country when only four years of age. They both received their preliminary education here and then went to Edinburgh, where they took their doctor’s degree. The Montreal Medical Institution, which afterwards became the Medical faculty of McGill University, was modelled on the lines of the Edinburgh University, and to this day the McGill Medical faculty bears the marks of its relationship to the Alma Mater of its founders.
For four years the Medical Institution continued its work, when, in 1828, to prevent the lapse of the McGill bequest to the residuary legatees, the Montreal Medical Institution became the Faculty of Medicine of McGill University in this wise.
Owing, as said, to litigation the Royal Institution could not get possession of Mr. McGill’s’ bequest until 1829. Also it was a condition of the gift that lectures should be given within a certain number of years or the bequest would lapse and the property revert to the Desrivières family. Only one year remained, and no arrangement having been made for the establishment of a faculty of arts, in fact, no money being available for that purpose, the Montreal Medical Institution was constituted a faculty of the University and this was chiefly accomplished by the exertions of Doctor Stephenson, to whom the University, in a large measure, owes the preservation of the bequest of the Hon. James McGill.
The governors of the Royal Institution held a meeting 29th January, 1829, with the members of the medical school, and the following minute occurs:
After public business was over, the governors of the Corporation held an interview with the members of the Medical Institution (Drs. Caldwell, Stephenson, Robertson, and Holmes), who had been requested to attend a meeting for that purpose. Owing to this interview it was resolved by the governors of the Corporation that the members of the Montreal Medical Institution be engrafted in the College as its Medical faculty, it being understood and agreed upon between the contracting parties that, until the powers of the charter would be altered, one of their number only should be university professor and the others lecturers. Thatthey should immediately enter upon the duties of their respective offices, all of which arrangements were agreed to. The first session of the new Medical Faculty of McGill College was held in 1829, with thirty-five students on the register. Thus the Medical saved McGill University.
The staff of the university in 1829 was: Divinity, Rev. J.G. Mountain, D.D. (Cambridge), principal; moral philosophy and learned languages, Rev. J.L. Mills, D.D. (Oxford); history and civil law, Rev. J. Strachan, D.D. (Aberdeen); mathematics and natural philosophy, Rev. J. Wilson, A.N. (Oxford). The staff of the Montreal Medical Institution, now become the Medical Faculty, in 1829 was: Lecturers, A.F. Holmes, M.D.; W. Caldwell, M.D.; J. Stephenson, M.D.; and W. Robertson, M.D.
After 1829 McGill College, rich in a charter, but poor in students and educational facilities, struggled on, unsupported by government amidst political rancour, financial embarrassment, and internal administrative difficulties, and almost extinct as a body with university pretensions with the exception of its medical and its art faculty, the latter being erected as such in 1843 under the Rev. Dr. John Bethune, so long Rector of Montreal, then acting as principal, till a number of citizens came to its support.
Doctor Bethune’s dual position of principal and Rector of Montreal was not a happy one, especially in 1845, when he was in front of a movement to affix to the University a distinctly Anglican denominational stamp. The appointment of the principal was consequently disallowed upon the advice of Mr. Gladstone. An extract from his letter to Earl Cathcart is of interest and shows how desperate were its straits to merit such a complicated utterance:
“Into the various and somewhat complicated charges which have been brought against Doctor Bethune, in his capacity as principal of the College, I do not find it necessary to enter; nor do I wish to state at the present moment any decided opinion as to the extent to which the present condition of the Institution is, owing to the character and position of its principal. My decisions are founded upon reasons which are not open to dispute: the first, the weight of the Bishop’s authority together with your own, independently of any reference to that of the Board of Visitors, which may be considered to be to some extent, at this moment in dispute; next, the fact that Doctor Bethune did not himself receive an university education, which I must hold to be, unless under circumstances of the rarest occurrence, an indispensable requisite of such a position as he occupies. To these I am disposed to add, although I express the opinion without having had the advantage of learning what may be the view of the Lord Bishop in this particular, that I cannot think it expedient that the offices of principal and professor of divinity in McGill College should be combined with that of Rector of Montreal. This circumstance is not much adverted to in the papers before me; but I am strongly impressed that the incongruity of this junction of important collegiate appointments with a no less important pastoral charge in the same person; either the former or the latter of which, especially considering the large population of the town of Montreal, I must, as at present advised, hold to be enough to occupy his individual attention.”
In 1851 its total income was only £540 per annum and even with the small staff employed, the expenditure was £742, consequently a large debt accumulated. A committee of Montreal merchants arose and relieved the stringency, an examplewhich has never failed to be followed with like success in succeeding crises of its growth.
McGILL UNIVERSITY BUILDINGSMcGILL UNIVERSITY BUILDINGSClockwise from left: Engineering Building, Medical Building, Art Building, Mining and Chemistry Building
McGILL UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS
Clockwise from left: Engineering Building, Medical Building, Art Building, Mining and Chemistry Building
In 1852 an amended and favourable charter was secured. Its new era of progress was assured in 1855 by the advent of Dr. William Dawson as the new principal, invited by the Hon. John Day, the president of the board of governors, and backed up by the personal solicitation of Sir Edward Head, the governor-general. He was a young man, having been born at Pictou, Nova Scotia, on October 13, 1820. His studies were commenced at Pictou College and continued at the University of Edinburgh. In 1850 he was appointed superintendent of education for Nova Scotia and became soon distinguished as a geologist and educationalist. On his appointment to McGill he found the little, feeble, struggling college with about eighty students, with two faculties, those of arts and medicine, and the nucleus of a faculty of law begun in 1853. The School of Medicine of this period sent out, however, such men as Duncan McCallum, George E. Fenwick, Robert Palmer Howard, William Wright, Sir James Grant, Robert Clark, and Sir William Hingston of a later period.
Dr. Dawson has described his first impressions, which were anything but agreeable, in the following words: “Materially, the University was represented by two blocks of unfinished and partly ruined buildings, standing amid a wilderness of excavators and masons’ rubbish; overgrown with weeds and bushes. The grounds were unfenced, and pastured at will by herds of cattle, which, not only cropped the grass, but browsed in the shrubs, leaving unhurt only one great elm, which still stands as the founder’s tree, and a few old oak and butternut trees, most of which have had to give place to our new buildings. The only access from the town was by a circuitous and ungraded car track, almost impassable at night. The buildings had been abandoned by the new board, and the classes of the Faculty of Arts were held in the upper story of a brick building in the town, the lowest part of which was occupied by the High School. I had been promised a residence, and this I found was to be a portion of one of the detached buildings aforesaid, the present eastern wing. It had been imperfectly furnished, was destitute of nearly every requisite of civilized life, and in front of it was a bank of rubbish and loose stone with a swamp below, while the interior was in an indescribable state of dust and disrepair. Still, the governors had done the best they could in the circumstances.”
In 1892, when Sir William Dawson retired, he left it a university of the world, with about one thousand students and almost eighty professors and lecturers. He added the faculties of applied science, which, though instituted in 1870, was regularly organized in 1878, comparative medicine and veterinary science. As far back as 1870 he began to plan for the higher education of women, founding the Ladies’ Educational Association and the Girls’ High School. In 1883 he opened the Donalda department in the faculty of arts, which after his resignation, developed into the Royal Victoria College. During his régime the university buildings began to appear on the campus, then a bare, almost treeless, weedy, partly swampy field, bearing but small likeness to the present noble campus with its imposing piles of buildings and its fine avenue of Canadian trees.
The course in law begun in connection with the faculty of arts was made a separate faculty in 1853. The course of applied science was organized in 1856 in connection with the faculty of arts. It did not become a special faculty till1893. In 1855 two detached stone erections, an arts building with a residence for the principal about sixty feet to the east, stood there alone. The medical building, in existence before the university was established in 1829, still stood downtown, its first location, the original home of the Montreal Medical Institute, being No. 22 St. James Street, within reasonable distance of the General Hospital on Dorchester Street, with which its staff were closely connected as its earliest physicians. Subsequently it moved to the corner of Craig Street and St. George and again to Coté Street. Shortly after 1855 the west wing of the present arts building was added by Mr. William Molson for the purposes of a library and convocation hall, and in the course of a few years both these wings (the Molson Hall on the west and the principal’s residence on the east) were joined to the center block. The west wing was used as a university museum and the east for the chemical and natural science rooms and laboratories. All four parts are now devoted to entirely different uses. The Molson Hall serves chiefly as an examination room for arts students (having long ago proved wholly inadequate for meetings of convocation), and when the Peter Redpath Library was erected in 1893 the library portion of it became available for class-rooms. Both wings, with a story added, now contain only the regular lecture rooms of the Faculty of Arts and the principal’s residence serves several purposes—for the offices of the administration, the Zoological department and the Faculty of Law.
It was not until 1872 that a medical building was provided on the University campus. This building was enlarged in 1885 and again in 1895—this time chiefly through the generosity of the late Mr. John H.R. Molson. Further enlargement was found to be necessary within two or three years afterward, and in 1895, through the bounty of Lord Strathcona, who remained during his life, the mainstay of the Medical Faculty financially, extensions and alterations were made, at a cost of at least one hundred thousand dollars. The Faculty were thus enabled to provide for the increasing demands upon them. The fire of 1907 destroyed the original building. The newer portion was, however, saved and the work of the departments of medical chemistry, physiology and histology are still being carried on therein. To complete the story of the Faculty it must be added that the fire was not after all the worst thing that could have happened, for it necessitated the erection of a new building. This has been placed at the corner of University Street and Pine Avenue (some distance north of the old site), on ground donated by Lord Strathcona, who also generously contributed over half a million dollars towards its erection and equipment. It is one of the finest and most up-to-date structures for the purpose of medical education on the continent.
In 1905 the medical faculty of Bishop’s College, Lennoxville, established in 1871 by Drs. Charles Smallwood, A.D. David, Sir W.H. Hingston, E.H. Trenholme and Francis W. Trenholme, was absorbed into that of McGill.
Beyond the eminent men already mentioned McGill Medical Faculty has had associated with it as professors men of wide European reputation, honoured by other universities. Among them have been Drs. Racey, Archibald Hall, O.T. Bruneau, S.E. Sewell, MacCallum, Fraser, Sutherland, Drake A. Hall, I. Crawford, William Fraser, W.E. Scott, William Wright, Robert MacDonnell, Robert Palmer Howard, George Ross, George E. Fenwick, T.A. Starkey, Sir William Osler, W. Gardner, Sir T.G. Roddick, G.P. Girdwood, A.D. Blackader, H.A. La Fleur, H.S. Berkett, George Armstrong, F.E. Fenley, C.S. Martin,F.J. Shepherd, dean, and J.G. Adami, Strathcona professor of bacteriology, the holder of the Fothergill medal in 1914.
The third building on the campus, in what may be called the Greek style, was added in 1882—the Peter Redpath Museum. In 1889 a bequest of $57,137 by Thomas Workman enabled the Thomas Workman mechanical shops to be undertaken. In 1892 there followed the first Macdonald engineering building, with its annex, the Thomas Workman shops, the Macdonald physics building and the Peter Redpath library building for the university library which had already been organized in 1857.
The Faculty of Applied Science is perhaps the most striking example of growth in connection with the University. Organized first as a department of the Faculty of Arts in 1856, it developed rapidly, not however, “coming into its kingdom” until it was provided with a home of its own in 1893 by Sir William Macdonald, that most generous friend of scientific education in Canada. At that date there were 165 students in the Faculty, today there were 612 before the war of 1914 affected the attendance. The progress within the last few years under the able administration of Dean Adams has been especially marked, the number of students having increased since his appointment, six years ago, by 40 per cent.
As an expert in geology Dr. Frank D. Adams has an international reputation.
In 1895 Dr. William Peterson, who had recently resigned the post of principal of the University of Dundee, succeeded Sir William Dawson and has maintained the high intellectual and material ideals of his predecessor, while he has brought the university to be well esteemed among the universities of the world. The material progress of the university has continued. Six new buildings have been added to the above group, the Chemistry and Mining Building in 1898, the Conservatorium of Music in 1904, Strathcona Hall, the home of the McGill Y.M. C.A. (strictly speaking, however, not a University building) in 1905, the McGill Union in 1906, and the New Medical Building in 1911. In this list no account is taken of the imposing pile of buildings erected by Sir William Macdonald at Ste. Anne de Bellevue for the purposes of education in agriculture and domestic science and for the training of teachers. The original property there comprises 560 acres and the probable cost was two millions of dollars. Since then 228 acres were added in 1913 by the same benefactor. Nor is account taken of the addition to the campus of the Joseph property, the gift of Sir William Macdonald, at a cost of $142,500, nor of that other notable addition, forming indeed a new campus of about twenty-five acres in extent (the Molson and Law Properties), which Sir William conveyed to the University in 1911, having purchased it for this purpose for no less a sum than one million dollars. This magnificent donation insures the future of the University, providing as it does for the greatest possible expansion. It is even now being converted into a site for a gymnasium and a second campus.
To resume, in 1893 there were but five faculties; today, in reality, there are eight, a Faculty of Agriculture, a Department of Music, a Dental Department and a Graduate School having been established in the interval, whilst on the other hand, one—the Faculty of Comparative Medicine and Veterinary Science, established in 1889, as the result of the amalgamation of the Montreal Veterinary College, founded in 1866—has been discontinued since 1903, but it is likely to be resurrected in connection with the Faculty of Agriculture at Macdonald Collegewithin a year or two. In 1893 the different Faculties were almost separate entities, bound to the University by a slender cord, indeed. The Faculty of Medicine was almost an independent institution, so was the Faculty of Veterinary Science and to a less degree also the Faculty of Law.
The faculty of agriculture mentioned, at St. Anne de Bellevue, dates from 1907. The department of music, as conducted in the conservatorium of music, was established in 1904. The Graduate school for advanced students was established in 1906. In 1907 a course in military science, a school of commerce, and several summer schools were added, and several extension courses have been added, notably in political economy, commercial law and accountancy.
The Donalda movement for higher education of women, which, as stated, was promoted by Sir William Dawson, was furthered by the chancellor, Lord Strathcona, who made it possible to establish, in 1884, courses leading to a degree, and to whose further generosity it was that the Royal Victoria College was opened in 1899, being founded and endowed by him at the cost of $1,000,000. His object was to establish an institution which should afford the opportunity of residence and college life to women students of McGill University, working in accordance with the system previously organized in a special course in arts, but under greatly improved conditions. By his recent death McGill University has lost a great patron.
There is no theological faculty as such, though four of the leading Protestant denominations, the Presbyterian and Congregationalists on the one hand, and the Episcopalians and Wesleyans on the other, are affiliated in the arts course. A further movement among these four bodies in cooperation within the last year or two has resulted in a Union Theological College.
McGill University has a great influence on the life of the city. Its professors keep in touch with civic affairs. In consequence the relations of town and gown are amicable. The merchants are proud of the city’s world-famous university and generally came forward to relieve it in its growing pains.
The following table of 1913 shows its growth:
M’GILL UNIVERSITY (FOUNDED 1821)
Chancellor—The Right Hon. Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal, G.C.M.G., LL. D.
Principal and Vice Chancellor—William Peterson, M.A., LL. D., C.M.G.
Number of students, 1,644.
Number of Professors, 115; number of Lecturers, 74; number of Demonstrators, 60.
Total Revenue, $859,825.37, made up of: Government and Municipal Grants, $45,000.00; Income from Endowments, $348,962.67; Fees, $216,079.63; Other Sources, $249,783.37.
NOTE
THE JOINT BOARD OF THE THEOLOGICAL COLLEGES AFFILIATED WITH M’GILL UNIVERSITY
Four Theological Colleges are affiliated with McGill University, namely, the Congregational, the Diocesan, the Presbyterian and the Wesleyan. Ever since their foundation these Colleges have taken advantage of the classes in the University for training their students in the Arts subjects required of candidates for the Ministry, and the results have been so satisfactory as to encourage the idea of extending the sphere of cooperation.
Early in the year 1912 careful investigation was made by representatives of the four Colleges into the requirements of their several Theological Curricula, with a view to ascertaining what subjects, if any, could be taken in common classes. As the result of prolonged consideration and negotiations, it was unanimously agreed that a large portion of the work which had hitherto been done separately by each of the Colleges could be taken profitably in joint classes, without prejudice to the principles of the Communions represented and with increased efficiency in the work.
The authorities of the four Colleges accordingly offered for the Session 1912-1913 a series of Inter-Collegiate Lecture Courses, from which each College might select according to the requirements of its own curriculum. The cooperative plan, which was inaugurated in October, 1912, with lectures and addresses by the Rt. Rev. Dr. Boyd Carpenter, formerly Bishop of Ripon, and Dr. Robert E. Speer, of New York, has been abundantly justified by the results.
During the second session of 1913-1914 an effort was made to obtain funds with which to carry on the work of cooperation. This effort was met by a generous response on the part of those sympathetic with the scheme. More than five hundred thousand dollars has been subscribed. With part of this sum the Board of Governors purpose to erect a central building where all inter-collegiate lectures will be given and where a well-equipped library will be available to all students in Theology.
The advantages of affiliation with a great institution of Continental reputation such as McGill University are obvious. In the first place, a College is able to devote practically its whole income to strictly theological work, thus assuring the efficiency and thoroughness of the course. Secondly, the immense resources and the high educational standard of a University such as McGill afford theological students a liberal education that could hardly be looked for under other circumstances. In the third place, the broadening influence of life in so large a University world, and contact with men of such widely different views, aims, and pursuits are of inestimable advantage to every student, and to none more than to the student in theology. Affiliation also gives the Colleges representation on the Corporationof McGill, and consequently a voice and influence in University affairs.
The following Act of Incorporation was also secured from the Provincial Legislature: