MAISON DE SANTE.
This noble edifice, emphatically the house of the stranger, was built in 1839, and opened in August of the same year. The full and complete success of the enterprise is written in the grateful memories of the thousands of patients who have resorted to it in the hour of sickness and danger. The prices required secure to every sick person more than the attention and comforts of the house of his childhood. Not a doubt need to cross his mind but that all which science, and the most devoted care can effect, will be done for him; heonly goes there to get well, if it be possible in the nature of his case. The names of the attending physicians, Doctors Stone, Kennedy and Carpenter, are a sufficient guaranty for the respectability of this establishment.
This institution, situated between Poydras and Perdido streets, was established by Doctors Campbell and Mackie, in July, 1841. It is neatly furnished, and offers all the comforts and advantages of a private house to the invalid. No contagious diseases are admitted, and kind and skilful nurses are furnished.
Is situated in the Fauxbourg Franklin, in Champs Elysees street, fronting the Pontchartrain rail-road, and about two miles from the city. It is a private hospital, founded by Dr. C. A. Luzemburg. The building, although not large, is accommodated with several out houses, and the grounds are spacious and pleasant.
THE UNITED STATES MARINE HOSPITAL,
Situated at Macdonough, opposite New Orleans, occupies a square, measuring three hundred and fifty feet each way, which is enclosed by a good substantial fence, intended, eventually, to give place to an iron railing. The edifice measures, in front, one hundred and sixty feet, by seventy eight deep—from the rear of which two adjuncts extend fifty feet further back, leaving sufficient room between them for a spacious court, immediately behind the centre of the main building.
The whole is laid off into three stories. It is fifty feet from the ground to the eaves, and one hundred and thirty-five to the top of the flag-staff, which surmounts the belvidere. It is built in the Gothic style; and was designed by Mondele and Reynolds, who were the original contractors. It was commenced in 1834, but for want of the necessaryappropriations by the government, the work was suspended, and has gone so much to ruin, that it will require $20,000 to repair the damage.
James H. Caldwell, Esq., has contracted for the completion of this work. The building, when finished and furnished for receiving patients, will cost $130,000. It will accommodate two hundred and sixty nine persons. The grounds, tastefully laid out, are to be embellished with shrubbery. As seen from the Mississippi, or from a distance, this structure presents a very majestic appearance. It stands in a healthy position, elevated and dry; and from its great height, commands a complete view of the river, city, surrounding country, and a whole forest of masts—affording to poor Jack at once a delightful and a busy prospect, that must have a great tendency to cheer the hours of his convalescence.
THE MUNICIPAL HALL.
This edifice, when completed, will be one of the noblest public buildings of the Second Municipality. It is to occupy the corner of Hevia and St. Charles streets, facing the westerly side of Lafayette Square, a site selected particularly on account of its conspicuous and airy position. Its grand entrance ranges along the latter thoroughfare 90 feet, running back upon the former 208,and presenting an altitude of 54 feet to the eaves, displaying two bold stories above a basement of 11 feet ceiling. This lower apartment is intended for the accommodation of the military, and the police and watch departments. It is intersected from end to end by a corridor twelve, and across, in the centre, by one of fourteen feet wide, the latter giving room for a double flight of stairs, which ascend to the upper story. The same division of passage ways is observed on each floor.
The grand entrance from St. Charles street, is by a flight of eighteen blue Quincy-granite steps, of which material the principal front is constructed. At the top of these, at an elevation of fourteen feet, is a platform extending along the whole front, twenty-five feet deep, sustaining, by a range of six pillars in front, and four in the rear, a massy pediment, all of which is of Ionic Grecian construction, and in good keeping with the main fabric. On entering the corridor through this portico, on the right hand, is an apartment seventy-five by thirty-five feet, and, like all the others on this floor, eighteen feet in the ceiling, appropriated to the library of the School Lyceum. In the rear of this, on the same side, are four others for public offices and courts, as are also those on the opposite direction.
Ascending to the third story, in front is the great hall, sixty-one by eighty-four feet, and twenty-ninein the ceiling, set apart for the School Lyceum. Immediately in front of this, is a central platform, advancing between two side rooms, over which are two others, similar, all four of which are intended for the accommodation of the apparatus, necessary for this new institution.
The main room is furnished with galleries on three sides, arranged in the best manner for the convenience of scholars and spectators. The rooms in the rear, like those in the story below, are devoted to public offices.
The walls of this building are to be based upon granite, and the residue of white marble, after the Grecian Ionic order. The whole will cost about $120,000.
These edifices are built of brick, and plastered to imitate granite, they are three stories in height, occupying one hundred and twenty three feet on Orleans and St. Ann streets, by one hundred and thirty-eight feet nine inches between them. They are two in number, and divided by a passage way that is closed to the public. The principal building has its main entrance from Orleans street, through a circular vestibule, closed by strong iron doors. The lower story contains the offices and apartments of the jailor. The second story is divided into large halls for such prisoners as requireto be less strictly guarded. The plan of the third story is similar. The whole is surmounted by a belvidere, with an alarm bell. The cost is estimated at $200,000.
This institution was formed in obedience to legislative enactment, under date of the 5th of March, 1841. The buildings were completed and occupied the same year. The site is a portion detached from the northern extremity of the Protestant Episcopal Burying Ground, and the centre of the front is directly facing St. Mary street. The plot is two hundred and ninety feet, front and rear, and two hundred and fifty-five deep—the whole being enclosed by a wall twenty-one feet high, twenty-six inches thick at the base, and eighteen at the top, externally supported throughout by abutments at a distance of every fourteen feet.
The entrance is by a strong and well secured gate, into a public passage flanked by offices, over which are rooms assigned to the use of the keepers, for the accommodation of the guard, and suchmaterielas good order, and the safety of the establishment require. This structure is partially separated from the prison by well constructed gates and partition walls. Within, on each side, engrossing the residue of the immediate front of the grounds, are two buildings. The one on theright is for white females, and that on the left for blacks of both sexes. These tenements are divided from the other parts of the prison by high fences of frame work. Going thence into the principal yard, the building for the male whites is seen on the extreme right. This is of one story, measuring eighty by thirty feet, and is the largest one on the premises. Arranged along near the rear wall, extending to the left, are the work shops.
The average number of white prisoners is eighty, not one-seventh of whom are females; and one hundred blacks, a third of these also being females. The prison discipline seems to be of a first rate order; and it is seldom necessary to punish for offences against the rules. Religious service is performed on Sundays, and a physician is in attendance every day. It is a singular fact, that only five persons have died there since it was opened, notwithstanding their former irregular habits. The prisoners are kept at constant labor; and their food, though not luxurious, is of a wholesome nature, which may, when their abstinence from intemperate habits is taken into consideration, account for the excellent state of their health. It would not be hazarding much to say that many here were never before accustomed to so many of the comforts of life—"in all, save these bonds;" for they lodge upon clean and comfortable bedding, surrounded by moscheto bars; and,once a week, at least, can enjoy the luxury of a bath.
This is the receptacle of that class of society, both white and black, who are denominated vagrants. They embrace two sorts of individuals—those who have no visible means of obtaining a livelihood, and those who live by committing unlawful depredations upon others. Besides these, colored seamen, while in port, not being suffered by the laws to go at large, are accommodated, for the time being, with an apartment in the Work-house. Slaves are placed here by their masters, for punishment, for safe keeping, and for refusing to perform labor, as well as for the commission of crimes. These last are sent out in gangs, under keepers, to clean the streets, and to perform certain other menial services within the control of the municipal authorities.
Nothing could render this establishment more complete, except a classification of its inmates; so that the hardened offenders should be prevented from drawing the young, the thoughtless, and the incipient transgressor, into the vortex of their own viciousness. To the philanthropist, this must be a consideration of the utmost importance. The saying, that "evil communications corrupt good manners," is illustrated even in this place—and here, many who seem upon the very verge of destruction, might be saved from ultimate andutter ruin, by the judicious care and protection of the humane and reflecting magistrate.
This new establishment stands on Moreau street, running from Louisa to Piety streets, and taking within its limits the building formerly used as the Washington market, which has been altered to suit its present purpose. The buildings were prepared under the superintendence of Charles K. Wise, and are well arranged. The prisoners average about one hundred—thirty of whom are females. The regulations are excellent.
This edifice stands on Chartres street, and to the right of the Cathedral, as it is seen from the Place d'Armes, opposite to which it is situated. The lower story is of the Tuscan order, with a wide portico along the front of the edifice, supported by ten antes, between semi-circular arches. The four in the middle are strengthened in front by Tuscan columns, and those at the angles by two clustered pilastres. The ascent to the second story is through the principal entrance, which is composed of a semi-circular arched door, with antes at the sides, and Doric entablature. It opens into a spacious lobby, through which, by a stone stair-way, of a single flight below, and adouble one above, the second floor is reached. The front of the upper story is of the Ionic order, but generally similar to the lower. The entablature is surmounted by a denticulated cornice, and the pediment is relieved by an oblong shield.
This building stands on the upper side of the Cathedral, on a line with the Court-House described above, both of which were erected the latter part of the preceding century, through the liberality of Don Andre Almonaster. This edifice in all general respects, much resembles the Court-House on the right of the Cathedral, except that the main entrance, under the portico, is of the Tuscan order; and that the stair within is a winding one, leading to the upper story by three flights; also, that the pediment of the front bears the American eagle, with cannon and piles of balls.
The markets are a prominent feature in a description of New Orleans. They are numerous, and dispersed, to suit the convenience of the citizens. The prices of many articles they offer are very fluctuating. Not dearer, however, on an average, than in New York. Stall-fatted meats are not so usual here as at the North, preference being given to the grass-fed. The mutton has no equal in America. Poultry and fish are fine; and vegetables, except potatoes, are abundant, and speak well for the soil that produced them. Fruit, from the West Indies and our own West, is not only plenty, but of the best kind. The regulations are excellent, and are strictly enforced by officers appointed for that purpose.
The greatest market day is Sunday, during the morning. At break of day the gathering commences—youth and age, beauty and the not-so-beautiful—all colors, nations and tongues are commingled in one heterogeneous mass of delightful confusion; and, he must be a stranger indeed, who elbows his way through the dense crowd, without hearing the welcome music of his ownnative language. The traveller, who leaves the city without visiting one of the popular markets on Sunday morning, has suffered a rare treat to escape him. Annexed is a brief descriptive account of them.
Is designed for the accommodation of the inhabitants in the rear portion of the second municipality. It covers a space of ground in Poydras street forty-two feet wide by four hundred and two long—extending from near Baronne to Circus street. It was built in 1837, and cost $40,000.
The ground plan of this building is irregular; having been constructed at different periods. It approaches the Roman Doric order—is supported by brick columns plastered, and covered with a wooden frame roof tiled. It fronts on Old Levee, St. Philip and Ursuline streets, and the river. The design was by J. Pilié, who superintended the work. It was completed in 1830, at an expense of $25,800.
Built in the rusticated Doric order, was completed in 1813, after the designs of J. Piernas, city surveyor. The building is of brick plastered,with a wooden frame roof, covered with slate. It is situated on the Levee, and extends from St. Ann to Main streets; and, from its favorable location, and neat simplicity of architecture, is a striking object to those who approach the city by water. It cost about $30,000.
This building fronts on Tchoupitoulas street, and runs to New Levee, a distance of four hundred and eighty-six feet by a width of forty-two feet. It was completed in 1836, in the rusticated Doric order, at a cost of about $48,000. In the vicinity, on the first named street, is a vegetable market—a very neat edifice.
Besides these, there is a very respectable market at the head of Elysian Fields street, near the Levee; and another in Orleans, between Marais and Villeré streets, near the City Prison.
This magnificent establishment, which, for size and architectural beauty, stands unrivalled, was commenced in the summer of 1835, and finished in the May of 1838, by an incorporated company. The building was designed by, and erected underthe superintendence of J. Gallier, architect, at an expense of $600,000, including the ground it stands on, which cost $100,000. It presents fronts on three streets. The principal one on St. Charles street, consists of a projecting portico of six Corinthian columns, which stand upon a granite basement fourteen feet high, with a pediment on the top, and four similar columns on each side of the portico, placed in a range with the front wall; behind which is formed a recess fifteen feet wide and one hundred and thirty-nine long, and floored over with large granite slabs, which, supported on iron beams, serve as a ceiling to that portion of the basement story standing under the portico; and on top affords a delightful promenade under the shade of the portico and side columns. The entrance to the bar room is under this; and the outsidesteps, leading from the street to the portico, are placed on each side thereof, between it and the front range of the building. In one of the rear angles of the basement is a bathing establishment, consisting of fourteen rooms, elegantly fitted up, with every convenience for hot or cold bathing. On the opposite angle are placed the wine cellars, store-house, and other domestic apartments. All the remaining parts of the basement are divided into stores, which are rented out to various trades-people. The bar room is in the basement, near the centre of the edifice; and is octangular in the plan, seventy feet in diameter, and twenty high; having an interior circular range of Ionic columns, distributed so as to support the weight of the floors and partitions of the upper stories. The architecture of this room is Ionic. That of the saloon, which is immediately over the bar room, is of the Corinthian order, and eighteen feet ceiling. A grand spiral stair-case commences upon the centre of the saloon floor, and is continued up to the dome. Around this stair-case, on each side of the upper stories, a gallery is formed, which gives access to six bedrooms within the octagon, on each of the six upper stories. As the bar room is six feet higher than the other parts of the basement, the entrance to the saloon from the portico is by a flight of marble steps, twelve in number, and thirty-five feet long. On the top of these steps isplaced a beautiful marble statue of Washington, presented to the company by John Hagan, Esq.
The gentlemen's dining and sitting rooms occupy the whole side of the building on Gravier street. The dining room, with a pantry at the end, is one hundred and twenty-nine feet long by fifty wide, and twenty-two feet high, tastefully finished in the Corinthian order, with two inside ranges of columns, so placed that there is abundant space for four ranges of dining tables, sufficient to accommodate five hundred persons. The ladies' dining room is placed over the bathing apartments, and is fifty-two by thirty-six feet. The kitchen, fifty-eight by twenty-nine feet, is placed in the rear wing of the building, on the same story with, and in the centre between the two dining rooms. The two angles of the principal front contain the ladies' drawing room, and the gentlemen's sitting room, the former forty by thirty-two feet, the latter thirty-eight feet square. There are nine private parlors on the second story, to some of which are attached adjoining bedrooms; and the same number on the upper stories. There are four stories of elegantly furnished and well lighted bedrooms, all around the four sides of the building, with central passages, or corridors, which communicate with the centre and with each other, having three stair-cases opening to the corridors, besides the grand stair-case in the octagon. There are, in the edifice, three hundred and fifty rooms.
A dome, of beautiful proportions, after a plan of Dakin, forty-six feet in diameter, surmounts the octagon building, elevated upon an order of fluted columns, which stand eleven feet from the dome, around the outside, and on the dome is elevated an elegant little Corinthian turret. There is a large circular room under the dome, on the floor of which the spiral stair-case terminates, and around the outside of which the circular colonade forms a beautiful gallery eleven feet wide, from whence can be seen the whole city, and all the windings of the river for several miles in each direction. The effect of the dome upon the sight of the visitor, as he approaches the city, is similar to that of St. Paul's, London.
No better evidence can be adduced—nor more flattering encomiums presented to the architects, than the fact of the indescribable effect of the sublime and matchless proportions of this building upon all spectators—even the stoical Indian and the cold and strange backwoodsman, when they first view it, are struck with wonder and delight. The view of this structure by moonlight is a sight not easily described. The furnishing of this establishment cost $150,000.
So called from being covered on its front toward the streets, to a certain height, by a projecting roofand balcony, is situated at the corner of St. Charles and Common streets, diagonally opposite the Exchange Hotel. The building was intended for a family hotel, by its enterprising projector and builder, the late R. O. Pritchard.
The great dining room, is, probably, one of the most highly finished apartments in America. The ceiling, especially, is a model; being composed of three elliptic domes for chandeliers. This room measures eighty-five by thirty-two feet, and twenty-seven high. The chimney pieces of the ladies' parlors are fine specimens of sculpture, and the rooms are otherwise handsome. The sleeping apartments are not excelled. The whole was designed and constructed by Dakin & Dakin, architects, in 1836-8, at a cost of $300,000, including the ground.
This building, as a hotel, may be considered as one of the most respectable in New Orleans. It stands nearly in the centre of the French portion of the population; and, in the combination of its brilliant and business-like appearance, is not an inappropriate representative of their national character. In this establishment theutile et dulciare so happily blended, that the accomplished guest can find no cause of complaint. A more particular description of this superb edifice is omitted here, in consequence of its being given under the head of the City Exchange, to which the reader is respectfully referred.
This is a large and well-constructed building, on the corner of Camp and Common streets. It has been long known as a hotel, but, during the last year, has been opened, under new auspices, by the gentleman whose name has become associated with that of the house. The position is airy, healthy and central, and the table is said to be unexcelled.
The Planters' Hotel, in Canal street, and the National Hotel, in Tchoupitoulas street, are both good houses; and the prices being less, they aresought after by those who wish to economise their expenses. There are several other respectable establishments, of which, like those last named, the limits of these pages will not permit a particular description.
Occupy a square fronting on St. Mary street four hundred and sixty-seven feet, with a depth of two hundred and thirty-five feet on Gravier and Perdido streets; which is enclosed by a substantial brick wall fourteen feet high. The site was selected by James H. Caldwell, Esq., to whom New Orleans is mainly indebted for this great undertaking, as well as for many others which stand as lasting eulogiums to his memory. In 1834, the original works were put in operation. Mr. Caldwell, at this time, had the exclusive privilege of lighting the city for thirty years. His were the fourth gas works in the Union, and the first west of the mountains. The first wrought-iron roof in this country, was erected over the retort house by Mr. C., and has served as a model for all since built. The largest cast iron tank ever constructed was also put up by him. It is fifty-one feet diameter and eighteen deep, and contains over two hundred thousand gallons of water. In 1835 Mr. Caldwell disposed of this property to the Gas Light and Banking Company; who, finding thebuildings insufficient, constructed them anew. The present establishment was planned and erected under the superintendence of David John Rogers, in whose care it still continues to prosper. The works, finished in 1837, cost $150,000. The whole present value is $650,000.
These consist of a retort house on Gravier street, one hundred and seventeen by eighty feet, and parallel to which is the purifying house, one hundred and seventeen by fifty-two feet. On the rear is the chimney, constructed to resemble Trajan's pillar, one hundred and seven feet high; and presents a chaste specimen of classical architecture. There are three fifty feet gasometers, arranged along in the centre of the premises, capable of containing thirty thousand cubic feet each, built after the most approved workmanship, and considered to be superior to any others in this country. On Perdido street is a three story dwelling, thirty by seventy-five feet, for the workmen. The coal shed is one hundred and ninety by fifty-two feet. In addition to these are the blacksmith, carpenter, and other shops, necessary for advantageously conducting so extensive a business. The structures are all fire-proof, and every thing is kept in the neatest possible condition.
In addition to the works already described, and immediately in front of them, embracing nearly another square, two more gasometers, of equaldimensions, together with the accompanying buildings, have been constructed during 1844-5. These will enable the company to transmit the gas through a distance of one hundred and fifty miles of pipe, sufficient for the accommodation of a half million of persons.
The gas is extracted from Pittsburgh coal—after which the coke is sold for fuel, at about half the price that is asked for the original coal.
In 1833, a company was incorporated under the title of the "Commercial Bank of New Orleans," the principal object of which was to supply the city with pure water from the Mississippi river. To effect this object, an artificial mound was constructed on the square comprised within Richard, Market, John the Baptist and Religious streets, consisting of seventy thousand cubic yards of earth, taken from the batture (deposit) of the river. The work was completed during 1834-5. The reservoir is constructed on the top of this mound.It is two hundred and fifty feet square, built of brick, and divided into four compartments, measuring each one hundred and eighteen feet in the clear. The walls and bottoms forming the reservoir, are built with brick, and plastered with hydraulic cement. A pavilion of an octagonal form has been erected on the intersection of the partition walls, supported by eight pillars. It is about fifteen feet wide and ten high, and affords quite a commanding and pleasant prospect.
The reservoir is supplied with water from the Mississippi river, by plunge pumps, worked by a condensing engine, acting expansively on Bolton and Watt's plan. These pumps were adopted as the most efficacious, on account of the great quantity of matter held in suspension by the water. They are connected to a suction pipe sixteen inches in diameter, and about eight hundred feet long; and to the main, descending into the reservoir, sixteen inches in diameter and six hundred feet long. The cylinder is twenty-five inches in diameter and six feet stroke, and is calculated to raise three millions gallons of water in twenty-four hours. The engine and pump houses are built of brick, and are situated on the lot forming the corner ofTchoupitoulasand Richard streets.
The water is distributed through cast iron pipes, capable of sustaining a pressure of water of three hundred feet head. They vary from eighteen tosix inches in diameter for the mains—but the greater part of them consist of the larger sizes, which have numerous ramifications of less dimensions. There are two mains from the reservoir; one of eighteen, the other of twelve inches bore, which are gradually reduced in size as the distance becomes greater from the source, or as circumstances may require. In 1836, water was first pumped into the reservoir. It can be delivered in the upper part of the city twenty-one feet, and in the lower sections, twenty-seven feet above the level of the soil.
The daily average consumption of water, during the year 1844, was one million gallons; and, from the comparative great capacity of the reservoir, sufficient time is allowed for the water to settle, in one of the four compartments, before it is drawn for the use of the city.
Much good might be achieved by a more enlarged operation of these works. The water is capable of being made fit for all domestic purposes, thus obviating the necessity for cisterns, the birthplace of millions of moschetoes, and, possibly the source of much sickness. For the purposes of bathing it is almost indispensable; and, for forming fountains, to cleanse the streets and to purify and cool the air, it may be rendered equally a convenience, a luxury, and an embellishment.
A room has been fitted up in Camp street, for which the substantial and well constructed walls of the old Camp street Theatre have been used—a building erected by James H. Caldwell, Esq., in 1822. This apartment, used as an armory for the Washington Battalion, is sixty by one hundred and twenty feet, and twenty-two feet high, and is decidedly one of the largest in New Orleans.
Another armory is located at the corner of Perdido and Baronne streets, in the upper part of the Carrolton Rail-Road depôt. Both of these armories are the depositories of arms, all kept in the best order, and disposed in various tasteful forms.
There are in New Orleans, fifteen engine, three hose, and one hook and ladder—in all nineteen companies. The city may justly boast of the energy and efficiency of this arm of safety. The members are exempt from military and jury duty; and, after a certain term, are enrolled as honorary members, who are free from the performance of further service. The expenses of the department are defrayed by appropriations from the municipalities, and from fines imposed upon delinquent members.
The courage and bearing of these companies during a conflagration, are much to be admired. They proceed with that cool and determined spirit that shows a consciousness of their power in subduing the destructive element. An excellent and convenient supply of water, which is always at command, enables them promptly to extinguish the most dangerous fire.
In New Orleans, have, until recently been but little known. There are now however, several actively employed and well patronised branches of the manufacturing business; which, if not calculated to compete with those in other markets, answer a very good purpose for its own.
Of Messrs. Leeds & Co. produces every variety of machinery, that steamboats and manufactories require for extensive operations. It has been established many years, at the corner of Foucher and Delord streets, occupies nearly a whole square, and is on as extensive a scale as any in the country. The business-like and prompt system practicedby the conductors, is known to all who require their aid upon the whole line of the Mississippi and its tributaries.
Upon Carondelet Walk, has been in successful operation over four years. Lumber is landed from Carondelet Canal, which passes in front of the building.
Of these there are two; one located in the third municipality, the other five miles below the city, and both upon the banks of the river. They can furnish lumber of almost any description in abundance.
There are several of these, in different parts of the city, where cordage may be manufactured, to any extent, demanded by the business of the place.
Besides these there are several Flour Mills, a Paper Mill, Sugar Refinery, Cotton Factories, &c., all in successful operation.
This is the place of all others, for these extensive buildings, which, generally, occupy a square, and sometimes more. They are numerous and extensive establishments. A brief description of two of the most prominent, will serve for the whole, as they very much resemble each other in their construction.
Erected by a company under that name, was completed in 1832, at a cost of $500,000. No architectural effect was aimed at in the façade, which is, however, neat and plain. This establishment can press about 200,000 bales per annum.
This vast establishment fronts on the Mississippi, running back on Roffignac and New Levee streets. The ground occupied is six hundred and thirty-two by three hundred and eight feet, and is nearlycovered by the buildings. The whole was built according to designs made by Charles F. Zimpel, begun in 1833, and completed in 1835, at a cost, including the site, of $753,558. The front on the river, although having no pretensions to architectural effect, is still, from its location and extent, quite impressive. This press can store twenty-five thousand bales of cotton; and compresses, on an average, one hundred and fifty thousand bales per annum; but its capacity is much greater.
This building was erected in 1822, at a cost, including the ground, of $55,000. The plan was from Latrobe, and Benjamin Fox the architect. It stands on the corner of Royal and Bienville streets, and presents rather a plain but neat external appearance. It is most substantially built; the lower story is heavily arched, and the banking apartments are completely fire-proof. Capital, $2,000,000.
Is situated on Canal street, occupying only an ordinary house, compared to some others, and requires no particular description. Capital, $2,000,000.
Is a building of the Ionic order, situated in Camp, near Canal street, and designed by W. L. Atkinson, architect. Its construction was commenced in 1837, and finished in 1838, under the superintendence of J. Gallier, at a cost of about $50,000. The banking room is admired for its elegant simplicity. Capital, $2,000,000.
This building, in St. Charles street, between Canal and Common streets, is so closely squeezed in among others, that it has little opportunity toshow off the beauty it possesses. It was erected in 1839, under the superintendence of Sidel & Stewart, at an expense of about $25,000, ground $25,000, making $50,000, and is every way well calculated for a banking house. The original capital was $4,000,000, but it was reduced to $180,000, and by request of the stockholders, the banking privileges have been withdrawn by an act of the Legislature of 1845.
Has its entrance in the centre of the front on Magazine street, of a substantial granite building which stands on that and the corner of Gravier street. That portion of the edifice is very tastefully arranged after the designs of Dakin, the architect. It was erected in 1845. The residue of the structure is used for stores. Capital, $4,000,000.
Is a fine Ionic building at the south-west corner of Royal and Conti streets, surrounded by a handsome court. The whole edifice is well arranged, the banking room in particular, is admired for its good architectural effect, being 60 feet square, and of a proportionate height, with a fine gallery above. It was commenced by Bickle, Hamlet and Fox, builders, in 1826, and finishedthe following year, at a cost of $80,000. Capital, $4,000,000.
Occupies the front of a square on Magazine street, between Gravier and Natchez streets, having a main entrance, from each of those last named, to the Arcade, which divides the building through the whole length—being three stories high, and covered in with glass, to exclude rain and admit the light. In the lower and second stories, are offices of almost all descriptions—and the third is appropriated mostly to sleeping rooms.
The bar room, opening on Magazine street, is 100 by 60 feet, and 35 in height. It is handsomely embellished, has a gallery surroundingthe upper story, and is a popular place for public meetings. It will accommodate 5,000 people on such occasions. This building stands in the centre of business, and, consequently, is a place of great resort for merchants and others. Erected by Thomas Banks in 1833, Charles Zimple, architect.
This magnificent edifice, which is one of the greatest ornaments of the city, fronts on three streets—about 300 feet on St. Louis, and 120 each on Royal and Chartres street—the building being intended by the projectors to combine the convenience of a city exchange, hotel, bank, large ball rooms, and private stores.
The principal façade, on St. Louis street, may be generally described as being composed of the Tuscan and Doric orders. The main entrance is formed by six columns of the composite Doricorder. Through this portico, access is had to the vestibule of the Exchange, a handsome, though simple hall, 127 by 40 feet. This room is appropriated to general business, and constantly open during waking hours. You pass through this into one of the most beautiful rotundas in America, which is devoted exclusively to business, and is open from noon to three o'clock P. M. This fine room is surrounded by arcades and galleries, always open to the public, (Sundays excepted,) and its general appearance cannot fail to impress upon the mind a most favorable idea of its grandeur and beauty. The dome is most tastefully laid off in compartments, within which the magic pencils of Canova and Pinoli have portrayed allegorical scenes and the busts of eminent Americans, in rich fresco—a style of painting comparatively new in the United States. The floors of the gallery which engird the rotunda, and the winding stairs leading to them, are of iron.
By a side entrance on St. Louis street, access is obtained to the second story; the front of which, on this street, is occupied by a suite of ball rooms and their dependencies. The great ball room is magnificent in its size and decorations. The building also has a capacious entrance on Royal street, as a hotel that can accommodate 200 persons. At the corner of Chartres street are the public baths. In the spring of 1840 this buildingwas nearly burnt down—but, in less than two years, it was completely restored to its original splendor.
This edifice is now being erected upon the south west corner of St. Charles and Perdido streets, fronting one hundred and three feet upon the former, and running one hundred upon the latter. The main part of the building is to be constructed of brick and stuccoed; the upper portion is purely Corinthian the lower entirely Tuscan. The principal entrance on St. Charles street, is by a portico supported by two Ionic pillars, and the same number of pilastres, composed of granite. The vestibule is eleven feet deep, which admits visitors by three separate doors into the exchange saloon, themost spacious apartment of the kind in the United States; it being seventy by one hundred feet, and twenty seven to the ceiling, which is supported by twelve well arranged and substantial pillars. At the rear of this public room are two others, intended for the accommodation of auctioneers, leaving only sufficient space on the left for the necessary offices and access to the second floor.
The structure shows three stories in front—on the second of which is the news room, expressly arranged for the occupation of the New Orleans Reading Room. This apartment is fifty-five by eighty-three feet, and thirty-seven to the ceiling; and is lighted by thirty-six windows. A portico, with a recess of eleven feet, occupies the immediate front, supporting the pediment by two Corinthian pillars, and an equal number of pilastres. Two rooms are set apart in connection with this establishment, one for the accommodation of captains of vessels, and one for that of sugar-brokers. On each side of the news-room are ranges of offices, to which admission is obtained by corridors on the inner side. Immediately over these, the third floor is arranged in the same manner. The intention of the company, under whose auspices this exchange is building, is, to furnish to the mercantile community a place solely for the transaction of business, similar to Lloyd's of London. There are to be no liquors sold on the premises. Mr.Gallier is the architect, and builder, and the building and land cost $90,000.