ITINERARY OF THE SECOND DAY—70 MILES.
ITINERARY OF THE SECOND DAY—70 MILES.
ITINERARY OF THE SECOND DAY—70 MILES.
The following itinerary will enable the tourist to follow, step by step, the course of the battle for the straightening out of the Château-Thierry salient. It will also enable him to form a correct idea of the German offensive of May 27, with its alternations of advance and retreat around Soissons, the northern pivot of the battle.
Leave by the Avenue du Maréchal Joffre, take the second street on the right(Rue Gare-des-Chesneaux), whence there is afine viewof the town and castle.Do not cross the railway by the level crossing on the right of the station, but continue straight ahead, leaving on the right the street which leads to the entrance of the Castle (photo below). Pass the “Octroi,” turn to the left about 100 yards further on, under the ruined bridge. The hospital on the left was badly damaged by shell-fire, as were also the neighbouring embankment and houses.
ENTRANCE TO THE OLD CASTLE OF CHÂTEAU-THIERRY.The itinerary followsthe road on the left.
ENTRANCE TO THE OLD CASTLE OF CHÂTEAU-THIERRY.The itinerary followsthe road on the left.
ENTRANCE TO THE OLD CASTLE OF CHÂTEAU-THIERRY.
The itinerary followsthe road on the left.
Follow the G. C. 15, to the left of which, hollowed out in the sloping sides, are many ammunition shelters.Pass under anotherdamaged railway bridge. Near the bridge over the small river which flows in front of the village ofVerdillyare numerous shell-holes and large heaps of ammunition and rubbish.
Pass through Verdilly, which was not severely damaged.
The Castle and park on the left received numerous shells. In Barbillon Wood, on the right, huge quantities of abandoned shells were collected.
Further on, opposite the Breteuil Farm, were other ammunition dumps. In the wood which borders the road, a little further on, are gun limbers and artillery shelters.
Before coming to Epieds there is an American cemetery on the left of the road.
Epieds.—This village was retaken by the Americans during their advance in the middle of July, 1918. On July 22 a company of the 26th American Division entered the village, after fierce hand-to-hand fighting, but was unable to hold it, as the Germans counter-attacked in force on the 23rd and 24th. After two days’ fighting, the Americans finally captured the village and Trugny Wood to the south-east, with many prisoners. During this fighting, Epieds was taken and lost five times by the Americans.
AMERICAN CEMETERY AT EPIEDS.In the background: the Village.
AMERICAN CEMETERY AT EPIEDS.In the background: the Village.
AMERICAN CEMETERY AT EPIEDS.
In the background: the Village.
In Epieds, turn to the right, and on leaving the village, take I. C. 30 on the left, which follows the left-hand side of the rive.On the other side of the river, on the hill-side, to the right, is Moucheton Castle (photo below). A road, lined with poplar-trees, leads there.
The Castle, which was used as headquarters, first by the Germans and afterwards by the Americans, dates from the 18th century. It has been carefully restored in recent times.
In the wood, to the right of the road, were ammunition shelters.
The tourist soon arrives atBrécy, where a German fifteen-inch “Bertha” gun was installed. To visit the"Bertha” platform(photo p. 66),turn to the left at the cross-roads before entering Brécy, pass under the railway-bridge, turn to the left 100 yards further on, and follow the railway towards Châtelet Wood. Rather less than a mile from the cross-roads, the wood comes down to the road; skirt it for about 300 yards, until the railway siding which branches off the main line, and along which the gun was brought to its platform, is reached.
MOUCHETON CASTLE, USED AS G.H.Q. BY THE AMERICANS.
MOUCHETON CASTLE, USED AS G.H.Q. BY THE AMERICANS.
MOUCHETON CASTLE, USED AS G.H.Q. BY THE AMERICANS.
15-IN. BERTHA PLATFORM IN CHÂTELET WOOD.The road is at the back behind the trees.
15-IN. BERTHA PLATFORM IN CHÂTELET WOOD.The road is at the back behind the trees.
15-IN. BERTHA PLATFORM IN CHÂTELET WOOD.
The road is at the back behind the trees.
Follow this siding into the wood for about 60 yards, where the platform, which the Germans tried to blow up before retreating, will be found. The enemy succeeded in saving the gun.
Trees placed in holes along the siding hid the position from the Allied aviators.Turn the car round in the alley, about 20 yards after the siding, and return to the cross-roads, driving slowly, as the road is narrow and in poor condition.
(N.B.—Tourists visiting the “Bertha” platform by special excursion from Château-Thierry, can return by the road which follows the railway, instead of retracing their steps, as above. Cross the railway, pass through Bézu-St.-Germain, cross the railway again, turning shortly afterwards to the left along N. 37, which leads direct to Château-Thierry.)
FRENCH AND AMERICAN SOLDIERS ON THE “BERTHA” PLATFORM IN JULY, 1918.
FRENCH AND AMERICAN SOLDIERS ON THE “BERTHA” PLATFORM IN JULY, 1918.
FRENCH AND AMERICAN SOLDIERS ON THE “BERTHA” PLATFORM IN JULY, 1918.
THE ORDRIMOUILLE STREAM AT COINCY.In the background: the Church.
THE ORDRIMOUILLE STREAM AT COINCY.In the background: the Church.
THE ORDRIMOUILLE STREAM AT COINCY.
In the background: the Church.
Continue to follow the railway, turn to the right and pass under the railway at the next bridge. Near the bend on the left areFrench graves.
Pass under the bridge, turn to the left into thepicturesque village ofCoincy;cross the river and continue as far as the Church.
THE GERMANS PILLAGED THE CHURCH AT BRÉNY.
THE GERMANS PILLAGED THE CHURCH AT BRÉNY.
THE GERMANS PILLAGED THE CHURCH AT BRÉNY.
GERMAN BARRICADE AT THE ENTRANCE TO OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU.In the background: the Hôtel-le-Ville and Church.
GERMAN BARRICADE AT THE ENTRANCE TO OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU.In the background: the Hôtel-le-Ville and Church.
GERMAN BARRICADE AT THE ENTRANCE TO OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU.
In the background: the Hôtel-le-Ville and Church.
Return to the entrance of the village, take on the right the road which passes under the railway, and follow G. C. 3.
In the wood on the left were numerous ammunition dumps.Rocourtis reached shortly afterwards. Take a look at the church, thenturn to the right into N. 37.
All along the road are small dug-outs. The Germans, in their retreat, left behind huge quantities of shells and empty cartridge-cases.
Rather less than two miles from Rocourt, in a small wood which borders the road on the left, the Germans had installed batteries of three-inch and four-inch guns. The wood contains ammunition shelters and an underground chamber full of shells. In the sloping land, at the side of the road, small dug-outs can still be seen. A little further on, near a ruined house, are heaps of burnt cable-drums, gun limbers, motors, etc.
Brény-on-the-Ourcqis soon reached.
THE CHURCH AND SEMINARY AT OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU.
THE CHURCH AND SEMINARY AT OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU.
THE CHURCH AND SEMINARY AT OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU.
OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU SEEN FROM THE TERRACE.
OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU SEEN FROM THE TERRACE.
OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU SEEN FROM THE TERRACE.
Cross the railway (level crossing) in the village.Shortly after leaving Brény, in the hill-side on the left, are shelters which were used by the Germans. Near by are graves.
A little further on are more shelters on the left, while close by are the graves of the soldiers belonging to the 23rd French Infantry Regiment, who fell on July 24.
Oulchy-le-Châteauis next reached.
The village lies in the narrow valley of the Rû-de-Chauday, between two hills, on one of which is the church, on the other, the castle known as “La Grande Maison.”
In front of the “Mairie,” turn to the left, leaving the car a few hundred yards further on. Taking the narrow street on the left of the “Mairie,” and then a series of flights of steps, the tourist, keeping to the left, arrives at theChurch, situated on a terrace close to the ruined Seminary.
RUINED CHURCH OF OULCHY-LA-VILLE.
RUINED CHURCH OF OULCHY-LA-VILLE.
RUINED CHURCH OF OULCHY-LA-VILLE.
The Church was built inside the walls of the old feudal castle, which gave its name to the village, and of which only the massive walls remain. It is alarge Roman edifice dating from the 12th century. Although successive restorations have somewhat spoilt its lines, it is none the less a remarkable building. The stalls are 14th century and the pulpit 17th.
GERMAN HOWITZER GUN IN THE DISTILLERY RUINS AT OULCHY-LA-VILLE.
GERMAN HOWITZER GUN IN THE DISTILLERY RUINS AT OULCHY-LA-VILLE.
GERMAN HOWITZER GUN IN THE DISTILLERY RUINS AT OULCHY-LA-VILLE.
After visiting the church and seminary, cross the terrace and return to the lower part of the village by the footpath, which passes under the little bridge at the edge of the terrace. At the bottom of the path, the tourist will take his car again. A little further on, turn to the left into G. C. 22, leading up toOulchy-la-Ville. This village was much more damaged than Oulchy-le-Château.
At the fork, near the entrance to Oulchy-la-Ville, turn to the right in the direction of theChurch. The roof and tower of this 13th-14th century edifice were destroyed by bombardment (photo, p. 69).
Immediately after the church, turn to the left, then to the right, in the direction of thedistillery in ruins. In the yard of this building there is a German howitzer-gun (photo above).
Just outside the village, shells, machine-gun cartridge belts, and débris of all kinds, heaped pell-mell at the side of the road, remind one of the fierceness of the struggle in this vicinity.
CHOUY CHURCH.
CHOUY CHURCH.
CHOUY CHURCH.
THE MAIN STREET IN CHOUY.The ruined Church stands at the back.
THE MAIN STREET IN CHOUY.The ruined Church stands at the back.
THE MAIN STREET IN CHOUY.
The ruined Church stands at the back.
Follow the G. C. 22, which dips down towards the Ourcq.
Pass throughRozet-St.-Albin, before and after which, on the right of the road, are numerous “boves” or worked-out quarries transformed into dwellings. Situated in the hill-sides, these “boves” formed admirable shelters for the troops.
On reaching the Ourcq (which do not cross), continue straight along G. C. 23, in the direction of the village ofChouy,which was practically razed to the ground.
At the Church,turn to the right.
On leaving Chouy,continue along G. C. 23 towardsAncienville, which is off the road, on the left.Take the road on the left that winds round a small hill, on which is the church (photo below).
CHURCH AND CEMETERY AT ANCIENVILLE.
CHURCH AND CEMETERY AT ANCIENVILLE.
CHURCH AND CEMETERY AT ANCIENVILLE.
MAUCREUX CASTLE AFTER THE GERMAN BOMBARDMENTS.
MAUCREUX CASTLE AFTER THE GERMAN BOMBARDMENTS.
MAUCREUX CASTLE AFTER THE GERMAN BOMBARDMENTS.
Return to G. C. 23, and turn to the left.The woods about here were badly damaged. After crossing the Saviéres, the Castle of Maucreux, built on an eminence, becomes visible on the left. It was struck by a number of shells.
On the right of the road are stone quarries and dug-outs.
Beyond the Castle and on leaving the woods,turn to the left at the fork. Numerous dug-outs are in the sloping sides of the road. After the Cemetery ofFaverolles, the walls of which are in ruins, the tourist enters the village of that name.
Leaving the church behind, on the left,turn to the right.Voutyis reached shortly afterwards, after skirting the wall of an old farm.
FAVEROLLES CHURCH.
FAVEROLLES CHURCH.
FAVEROLLES CHURCH.
INTERIOR OF FAVEROLLES CHURCH.
INTERIOR OF FAVEROLLES CHURCH.
INTERIOR OF FAVEROLLES CHURCH.
On the other side of the road are French graves.Turn to the right into the road seen in the photograph below.
Skirt the farm, follow G. C. 17, and turn to the left at the first fork. At the next fork, a little further on, keep straight on.Numerous shell-holes and trenches.
From Vouty, there is a fine run down to the village ofCorcy, of which nothing is left but a heap of ruins. At the bottom of the hill, the Castle and Park are pictures of desolation.
The village and church are a little further on, to the left.
VOUTY FARM.
VOUTY FARM.
VOUTY FARM.
THE VILLAGE AND MARSHES OF CORCY, SEEN FROM G. C. 17 BEFORE ARRIVING AT THE CASTLE.
THE VILLAGE AND MARSHES OF CORCY, SEEN FROM G. C. 17 BEFORE ARRIVING AT THE CASTLE.
THE VILLAGE AND MARSHES OF CORCY, SEEN FROM G. C. 17 BEFORE ARRIVING AT THE CASTLE.
FRENCH GRAVES IN CORCY CASTLE PARK.Behind is the village.
FRENCH GRAVES IN CORCY CASTLE PARK.Behind is the village.
FRENCH GRAVES IN CORCY CASTLE PARK.
Behind is the village.
THE REMAINS OF CORCY CASTLE.At the back are seen the marshes and the village.
THE REMAINS OF CORCY CASTLE.At the back are seen the marshes and the village.
THE REMAINS OF CORCY CASTLE.
At the back are seen the marshes and the village.
In front of the Castle,turn to the left and, after the marshes, to the right, without crossing the railway by the level-crossing, seen in the foreground of the photograph on the next page. (The road to be followed is the one, the beginning of which is seen on the left of this photograph.)
Continue along G. C. 17, which follows the railway on the right, cross the latter by the level-crossing, after which the tourist comes to the completely devastatedVillers-Cotterets Wood.
Numerous deep dug-outs were made in the slopes on the left. A few hundred yards after the level-crossing there is an enormous shell crater, caused by the explosion of an ammunition shelter. On the right of the road flows the Saviéres, on whose banks fierce fighting took place in June-July, 1918.
CORCY CHURCH.
CORCY CHURCH.
CORCY CHURCH.
CORCY.In the background: Ruins of the Church. The road to Villers-Cotterets is the one going to the left on the photograph.
CORCY.In the background: Ruins of the Church. The road to Villers-Cotterets is the one going to the left on the photograph.
CORCY.
In the background: Ruins of the Church. The road to Villers-Cotterets is the one going to the left on the photograph.
On arriving atLongpont, the Abbey comes into sight; in front of the latter,turn to the left, then into the first street on the right, which leads to the Square. On the left is the Abbey; on the right, the fortified gate.
THE OLD FORTIFIED GATE OF LONGPONT ABBEY.In the background: Villers-Cotterets Wood and the road leading to Villers-Cotterets village.
THE OLD FORTIFIED GATE OF LONGPONT ABBEY.In the background: Villers-Cotterets Wood and the road leading to Villers-Cotterets village.
THE OLD FORTIFIED GATE OF LONGPONT ABBEY.
In the background: Villers-Cotterets Wood and the road leading to Villers-Cotterets village.
TheAbbey, which belonged to the Cistercian Order, was founded byRaoul IV., Count of Crespy, for which pious act he was absolved fromexcommunication. It quickly became a flourishing institution, the number of monks at the end of the 12th century being two hundred. In the 14th century, during the Hundred Years’ War, this number had fallen to thirty, while on the eve of the Revolution there remained only fifteen.
LONGPONT ABBEY, SEEN FROM THE GRANDE PLACE.
LONGPONT ABBEY, SEEN FROM THE GRANDE PLACE.
LONGPONT ABBEY, SEEN FROM THE GRANDE PLACE.
The Abbey contains the ruins of a magnificent Gothic Church, the foundations of which were laid in 1131, under the Count of Crespy, but which was only finished in 1226. It was consecrated in 1227, in the presence of King St. Louis and his mother. The fine gabled façade and the walls of the nave, with their massive abutments and graceful flying buttresses, are still standing, as is also the transept. The porches are intact. Of the apsis and chapels, only the walls and columns remain.
A 13th century fortified gate, surmounted by four turrets with pointed tops, is all that remains of the walls that formerly protected the Abbey from the bands of marauders which roamed through the country.
LONGPONT ABBEY CHURCH, SEEN FROM THE STREETLEADING TO THE FORTIFIED GATE.
LONGPONT ABBEY CHURCH, SEEN FROM THE STREETLEADING TO THE FORTIFIED GATE.
LONGPONT ABBEY CHURCH, SEEN FROM THE STREETLEADING TO THE FORTIFIED GATE.
FRONT OF LONGPONT ABBEY, OVERLOOKING THE PARK.On the left is the Church.
FRONT OF LONGPONT ABBEY, OVERLOOKING THE PARK.On the left is the Church.
FRONT OF LONGPONT ABBEY, OVERLOOKING THE PARK.
On the left is the Church.
INTERIOR OF LONGPONT ABBEY CHURCH.
INTERIOR OF LONGPONT ABBEY CHURCH.
INTERIOR OF LONGPONT ABBEY CHURCH.
MAP OF THE OPERATIONS FROM OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU TO LONGPONT.The roads indicated by the two continuous lines are those to be followed by the tourist.
MAP OF THE OPERATIONS FROM OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU TO LONGPONT.The roads indicated by the two continuous lines are those to be followed by the tourist.
MAP OF THE OPERATIONS FROM OULCHY-LE-CHÂTEAU TO LONGPONT.
The roads indicated by the two continuous lines are those to be followed by the tourist.
The entire region just passed through (from Oulchy to Longpont), was occupied and ravaged by the Germans after May 30, 1918, and reconquered by General Mangin’s army from July 18 onwards.
On May 30, a German army under General Winkler (1st Guards, 33rd Infantry and 10th Reserves) attacked the two villages of Oulchy from the east, but were stubbornly opposed. Advancing beyond them on the 31st, the Germans (28th Reserves) took Longpont, while Corcy was captured by the 1st Guards. After fierce fighting, Chouy, Ancienville, and Faverolles also fell. Two days later, after furious combats, the French recaptured Longpont and Corcy, but Faverolles, after changing hands several times, was kept by the Germans. On June 3, the enemy made a violent attack on Villers-Cotterets Wood, the fighting around Longpont and Faverolles being of the fiercest. However, they failed to gain a footing in the Wood, and the French re-took Faverolles. For more than a month the battle continued to rage without appreciably modifying the situation. From July 11 the Allies became increasingly active, retaking Corcy and Longpont, and crossing the Savières on the 13th, south of that village. On the 18th, the tanks and Franco-American troops (1st and 2nd American Divisions) under General Mangin debouched from the forest in the Great Counter-Offensive. The valley of the Savières was cleared of the enemy, and on the 19th, progress made beyond Chouy. On the 20th and 21st, the outskirts of Oulchy-la-Ville and Oulchy-le-Château were reached. Here the enemy offered a vigorous resistance, and the battle continued to rage until the beginning of August. German prisoners belonging to the 51st Reserves and 6th Guards (Ersatz) declared that their orders on July 30 were to fight to the last man. On August 1 the Germans attacked Oulchy unsuccessfully early in the morning. Finally, the entire region was cleared of the enemy, the Americans taking part in the recapture of Chouy and the two villages of Oulchy.
BROTHERS-IN-ARMS. FRENCH AND AMERICAN SOLDIERS HELPING A WOUNDED FRENCHMAN NEAR LONGPONT.
BROTHERS-IN-ARMS. FRENCH AND AMERICAN SOLDIERS HELPING A WOUNDED FRENCHMAN NEAR LONGPONT.
BROTHERS-IN-ARMS. FRENCH AND AMERICAN SOLDIERS HELPING A WOUNDED FRENCHMAN NEAR LONGPONT.
After visiting Longpont and the Abbey continue along the street by which the square was reached; cross the bridge in the direction ofChaudun,keeping to the G. C. 17. Below the road are the ruins of La Grange Farm. The table-land near the top of the hill, on the right, served as an aviation park during the War. In May, 1919, the remains of twenty burnt aeroplanes were still to be seen there.
At the fork take the right-hand road(I. C. 30). Here the road was crossed by wire entanglements and trenches. Fierce fighting took place over the whole of this tableland. On the left isBeaurepaire Farm, which was little damaged.
GERMAN 77MM. GUN ABANDONED NEAR CHAUDUN, WITH HEAP OF WICKER BASKETS, EACH CONTAINING THREE SHELLS.
GERMAN 77MM. GUN ABANDONED NEAR CHAUDUN, WITH HEAP OF WICKER BASKETS, EACH CONTAINING THREE SHELLS.
GERMAN 77MM. GUN ABANDONED NEAR CHAUDUN, WITH HEAP OF WICKER BASKETS, EACH CONTAINING THREE SHELLS.
BARBED WIRE ENTANGLEMENT IN FRONT OF CHAUDUN DURING THE BATTLE OF JULY.In the foreground: German corpse.
BARBED WIRE ENTANGLEMENT IN FRONT OF CHAUDUN DURING THE BATTLE OF JULY.In the foreground: German corpse.
BARBED WIRE ENTANGLEMENT IN FRONT OF CHAUDUN DURING THE BATTLE OF JULY.
In the foreground: German corpse.
At the crossing where Beaurepaire Farm stands, a road branches off on the right towardsVierzy, situated rather less than two miles away at the bottom of a small valley. The Americans (2nd Division) had some fierce fighting at Beaurepaire Farm and Vierzy.If not pressed for time, the tourist should visit Vierzy, returning thence to Beaurepaire Farm and continuing toChaudun (I. C. 30).
On the right of the road is Maisonneuve Farm in ruins (photo below).
On arriving atChaudun, which was badly damaged,turn to the left in the village. On the right of the street leading to the small square is the entrance to the cemetery, from where there is a good view of the ruined church.
AMERICAN SOLDIERS AT MAISONNEUVE FARM.
AMERICAN SOLDIERS AT MAISONNEUVE FARM.
AMERICAN SOLDIERS AT MAISONNEUVE FARM.
RUINS OF CHAUDUN CHURCH, SEEN FROM THE CEMETERY.
RUINS OF CHAUDUN CHURCH, SEEN FROM THE CEMETERY.
RUINS OF CHAUDUN CHURCH, SEEN FROM THE CEMETERY.
After visiting the church, return to the above mentioned.
Turn to the right, and on leaving the village, to the left, in the direction ofCravançon Farm, which was completely destroyed. All around, the trees have been stripped of their branches or torn down by shell fire. Several lines of barbed wire entanglements enclose the farm. A little further on is a crossing with N. 2, known as the “Croix-de-Fer” (“Iron Cross”). The fighting around here was extremely bitter. At the time of General Mangin’s great offensive, hundreds of tanks attacked the table-land.
THE CROSS-ROADS AT CROIX-DE-FER, AT THE INTERSECTION OF THE N. 2 (PARIS-SOISSONS) AND THE CHAUDUN-DOMMIERS ROAD.In the background: Cravançon Farm in ruins.
THE CROSS-ROADS AT CROIX-DE-FER, AT THE INTERSECTION OF THE N. 2 (PARIS-SOISSONS) AND THE CHAUDUN-DOMMIERS ROAD.In the background: Cravançon Farm in ruins.
THE CROSS-ROADS AT CROIX-DE-FER, AT THE INTERSECTION OF THE N. 2 (PARIS-SOISSONS) AND THE CHAUDUN-DOMMIERS ROAD.
In the background: Cravançon Farm in ruins.
TANK DAMAGED BY ENEMY SHELL-FIRE NEAR THE CROSS-ROADS AT CROIX-DE-FER.On the right is the N. 2 leading to Soissons.
TANK DAMAGED BY ENEMY SHELL-FIRE NEAR THE CROSS-ROADS AT CROIX-DE-FER.On the right is the N. 2 leading to Soissons.
TANK DAMAGED BY ENEMY SHELL-FIRE NEAR THE CROSS-ROADS AT CROIX-DE-FER.
On the right is the N. 2 leading to Soissons.
Turn to the right into N. 2.In May, 1919, three wrecked tanks were still to be seen there.
A little further on(rather more than half a mile from the fork) there is a large American cemetery (photo below). The Americans who fell in the vicinity during the fighting in July were buried there.Return to the “Croix-de-Fer” and take the road on the right towards Dommiers, which crosses the table-land attacked by the tanks.
AMERICAN CEMETERY ALONGSIDE THE N. 2, ABOUT HALF A MILE FROM THE CROIX-DE-FER CROSS-ROADS TOWARDS SOISSONS.It was from this immense plateau that the Americans set out to attack the German lines on June 18, 1918, with General Mangin’s Army.
AMERICAN CEMETERY ALONGSIDE THE N. 2, ABOUT HALF A MILE FROM THE CROIX-DE-FER CROSS-ROADS TOWARDS SOISSONS.It was from this immense plateau that the Americans set out to attack the German lines on June 18, 1918, with General Mangin’s Army.
AMERICAN CEMETERY ALONGSIDE THE N. 2, ABOUT HALF A MILE FROM THE CROIX-DE-FER CROSS-ROADS TOWARDS SOISSONS.
It was from this immense plateau that the Americans set out to attack the German lines on June 18, 1918, with General Mangin’s Army.
DAMAGED TANK NEAR DOMMIERS, SEEN FROM THE BRITISH CEMETERY NEAR DOMMIERS.Dommiers Road in the background where the motor-car is standing.
DAMAGED TANK NEAR DOMMIERS, SEEN FROM THE BRITISH CEMETERY NEAR DOMMIERS.Dommiers Road in the background where the motor-car is standing.
DAMAGED TANK NEAR DOMMIERS, SEEN FROM THE BRITISH CEMETERY NEAR DOMMIERS.
Dommiers Road in the background where the motor-car is standing.
About half a mile before reaching Dommiers the tourist comes to the British Cemetery, from which the above photograph was taken in April, 1919. The tanks seen in the picture have since been removed.
At the entrance toDommiers(in ruins) is an enormous heap of shells, shell-cases, rifles, etc. (photo below).Pass through the village, leaving the church on the left. Built in the 12th and 13th centuries, the steeple and roof of the church have fallen in. The choir contained some fine woodwork, which originally came from the Church of St. Jean-des-Vignes at Soissons. Most of it was destroyed by shell-fire, three panels only remaining uninjured.
EMPTY SHELL CASES OF ALL CALIBRES COLLECTED ON THE BATTLEFIELD NEAR DOMMIERS.In the background is seen the village of Dommiers.
EMPTY SHELL CASES OF ALL CALIBRES COLLECTED ON THE BATTLEFIELD NEAR DOMMIERS.In the background is seen the village of Dommiers.
EMPTY SHELL CASES OF ALL CALIBRES COLLECTED ON THE BATTLEFIELD NEAR DOMMIERS.
In the background is seen the village of Dommiers.
TANKS CROSSINGDOMMIERS VILLAGE.
TANKS CROSSINGDOMMIERS VILLAGE.
TANKS CROSSINGDOMMIERS VILLAGE.
AMERICAN SOLDIER’SMASCOT (YOUNG WILD BOAR)IN A FARMYARD AT DOMMIERS.
AMERICAN SOLDIER’SMASCOT (YOUNG WILD BOAR)IN A FARMYARD AT DOMMIERS.
AMERICAN SOLDIER’SMASCOT (YOUNG WILD BOAR)IN A FARMYARD AT DOMMIERS.
DOMMIERS CHURCHIN RUINS.
DOMMIERS CHURCHIN RUINS.
DOMMIERS CHURCHIN RUINS.
ST. PIERRE-AIGLE VILLAGE, SEEN FROM THE ROAD COMING FROM DOMMIERS.
ST. PIERRE-AIGLE VILLAGE, SEEN FROM THE ROAD COMING FROM DOMMIERS.
ST. PIERRE-AIGLE VILLAGE, SEEN FROM THE ROAD COMING FROM DOMMIERS.
THE VALLEY OF THE RU-DE-RETZ SEEN FROM THE RUINS OF THE CHURCH OF ST. PIERRE-AIGLE.The deep ravine in which this small stream flows was the objective of numerous fierce combats. In the background: Villers-Cotterets Wood in which the Germans tried in vain to get a footing.
THE VALLEY OF THE RU-DE-RETZ SEEN FROM THE RUINS OF THE CHURCH OF ST. PIERRE-AIGLE.The deep ravine in which this small stream flows was the objective of numerous fierce combats. In the background: Villers-Cotterets Wood in which the Germans tried in vain to get a footing.
THE VALLEY OF THE RU-DE-RETZ SEEN FROM THE RUINS OF THE CHURCH OF ST. PIERRE-AIGLE.
The deep ravine in which this small stream flows was the objective of numerous fierce combats. In the background: Villers-Cotterets Wood in which the Germans tried in vain to get a footing.
VERTES-FEUILLES FARM, SEEN FROM THE N. 2 DURING THE JULY COMBATS.
VERTES-FEUILLES FARM, SEEN FROM THE N. 2 DURING THE JULY COMBATS.
VERTES-FEUILLES FARM, SEEN FROM THE N. 2 DURING THE JULY COMBATS.
Continue towardsSt. Pierre-Aigle, which is marvellously situated. The photographs on the preceding page show in what state the bombardments left it.Turn to the left, to visit the church at the edge of the ravine (pretty view over the forest of Retz).Return to the road and descend into the valley.
At the bottom of the hill, if not pressed for time, visit Vertes-Feuilles Farm, situated about two miles further on. In this case,take on the left the road leading up the valley. The road first passes through ravaged woods, finally reaching the plateau crossed by N. 2. The farm, now a mere heap of ruins, stood at this crossing. Behind the farm are barbed wire entanglements and trenches.
VERTES-FEUILLES FARM DEFENSIVELY ORGANIZED.The fighting here was of the fiercest. In front: French graves.
VERTES-FEUILLES FARM DEFENSIVELY ORGANIZED.The fighting here was of the fiercest. In front: French graves.
VERTES-FEUILLES FARM DEFENSIVELY ORGANIZED.
The fighting here was of the fiercest. In front: French graves.
GERMAN PRISONERS PASSING THROUGH COEUVRES IN JULY, 1918, ESCORTED BY AN AMERICAN CAVALRYMAN.
GERMAN PRISONERS PASSING THROUGH COEUVRES IN JULY, 1918, ESCORTED BY AN AMERICAN CAVALRYMAN.
GERMAN PRISONERS PASSING THROUGH COEUVRES IN JULY, 1918, ESCORTED BY AN AMERICAN CAVALRYMAN.
Return toSt. Pierre-Aigleand continue straight ahead towardsCœuvres. The ruined farm and Castle of Valsery on the far side of the river are visible from here. InCœuvres,turn to the left and cross the bridgeto visit the church, the steeple and western portion of which have fallen in.
Return to the bridge and turn to the left towardsCutry (do not cross the river).
Two lines of barbed wire entanglements crossed the road at the exit of the village.At the fork, turn to the right into I. C. 44 and cross the river. Morebarbed wire entanglements here defended Cœuvres.Climb the zig-zag road as far as thechurch ofCutry, remarkable edifice whose nave and apsis were destroyed. Very fine view.
In the Cemetery of Cutry are graves of French soldiers who fell in July, 1918.
RUINS OF CUTRY CHURCH.From this church, built at the top of the hill, there is a fine view of the Rû-de-Retz Ravine, which was so hotly disputed.
RUINS OF CUTRY CHURCH.From this church, built at the top of the hill, there is a fine view of the Rû-de-Retz Ravine, which was so hotly disputed.
RUINS OF CUTRY CHURCH.
From this church, built at the top of the hill, there is a fine view of the Rû-de-Retz Ravine, which was so hotly disputed.
AMERICAN CONVOY RESTING IN LAVERSINE VILLAGE.
AMERICAN CONVOY RESTING IN LAVERSINE VILLAGE.
AMERICAN CONVOY RESTING IN LAVERSINE VILLAGE.
Return by the same road to the fork.
(N.B.—A more direct road to the church is the steep, narrow lane which branches off the route at the foot of the hill. If desired, motorists may take this lane going, and return by the main road, orvice versa.)
From Cutry,continue straight ahead toLaversine.Pass through this village by G. C. 17 in the direction ofCourtançon. Before reaching the latter enormous heaps of ammunition and débris will be seen. The trees along the river are shell-torn.
After Courtançon,St. Bandrycomes into view on the left. In the villageturn to the left as far as theruined church. In the cemetery are graves of French soldiers who fell on July 18. At the side of the church, beneath the ruins of the blacksmith’s house, are ancient, deep-vaulted cellars. There are numerous similar cellars in the village, which served as shelters for the troops.
RUINED CHURCH OF ST. BANDRY.There are mediaeval cellars underneath the blacksmith’s house seen behind the church.
RUINED CHURCH OF ST. BANDRY.There are mediaeval cellars underneath the blacksmith’s house seen behind the church.
RUINED CHURCH OF ST. BANDRY.
There are mediaeval cellars underneath the blacksmith’s house seen behind the church.
CHURCH AND FORTIFIED CASTLE DONJON OF AMBLÉNY.
CHURCH AND FORTIFIED CASTLE DONJON OF AMBLÉNY.
CHURCH AND FORTIFIED CASTLE DONJON OF AMBLÉNY.
Return to G. C. 17 and turn to the left towardsAmblény.
Rather more than quarter of a mile after entering this village,turn to the left, then to the righttowards the Fortified Castle.Turn to the right and descend alongsidethe Donjon and Church.Continue straight along, then turn to the right and cross the river. At the fork beyond the river, turn to the left and skirt the cemetery.
THE NAVE OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH.The Castle Donjon is seen in the background.THE NAVE OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH.The Castle Donjon is seen in the background.
THE NAVE OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH.The Castle Donjon is seen in the background.THE NAVE OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH.The Castle Donjon is seen in the background.
THE NAVE OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH.
The Castle Donjon is seen in the background.
THE NAVE OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH.
The Castle Donjon is seen in the background.
APSIS OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH (1919).(Compare with photo below taken in 1917.)
APSIS OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH (1919).(Compare with photo below taken in 1917.)
APSIS OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH (1919).
(Compare with photo below taken in 1917.)
At the next fork go straight ahead.The valley here was badly ravaged. Numerous wire entanglements, trenches, heaps of ammunition, débris, etc., are seen.
Keep straight on as far as N. 31, into which turn to the right.All along are wire entanglements, trenches, heaps of ammunition, shelters, and various organizations.Cross the railway (level-crossing) and take the first road on the right towardsPernant.
APSIS OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH IN 1917.(See above photo.)
APSIS OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH IN 1917.(See above photo.)
APSIS OF AMBLÉNY CHURCH IN 1917.
(See above photo.)
PERNANT CHURCH.In front, on the right: Baskets of German shells;behind same: Wall pierced with loop-holes.In one of the outside walls of the church, a shell uncovered a stoneVirginpreviously walled in.
PERNANT CHURCH.In front, on the right: Baskets of German shells;behind same: Wall pierced with loop-holes.In one of the outside walls of the church, a shell uncovered a stoneVirginpreviously walled in.
PERNANT CHURCH.
In front, on the right: Baskets of German shells;behind same: Wall pierced with loop-holes.In one of the outside walls of the church, a shell uncovered a stoneVirginpreviously walled in.
INTERIOR OF PERNANT CHURCH.
INTERIOR OF PERNANT CHURCH.
INTERIOR OF PERNANT CHURCH.
THE OLD CASTLE AT PERNANT, SEEN FROM THE ENTRANCE SIDE.
THE OLD CASTLE AT PERNANT, SEEN FROM THE ENTRANCE SIDE.
THE OLD CASTLE AT PERNANT, SEEN FROM THE ENTRANCE SIDE.
Cross the railway again (level-crossing), then turn to the right towards the Church.
Go straight up the hill, take the first road on the right leading up a steep hillto the very interesting Castle, which dates from the Middle-Ages. Built on rock foundations it contains a deep cavern. The roof and eastern portion were damaged by the bombardment. Fine view from the terrace.
Continue to climb the hill as far as the plateau; very fine view.
Descend toPernant. Caves are visible in the hill-sides.At thechurchturn to the right, then to the left.Recross the level-crossing last mentioned, then turn to the right into N. 31.
Along the road numerous military organizations are met with.
(If not pressed for time, instead of going straight on to Soissons by N. 31, take the road on the right, about 1-1/2 miles after Pernant, leading to Mercin,