Queen Street Wharf, 1887After the painting by A. E. Gifford, in the Old Colonists’ Museum
Queen Street Wharf, 1887After the painting by A. E. Gifford, in the Old Colonists’ Museum
A hoax perpetrated by Mr. D. M. Luckie, editor of theSouthern Cross, which for the time being created consternation and serious excitement in the city and district, occurred on the morning of February 17th, 1873, when theDaily Southern Crossprinted a report purporting to be a description of the capture of Auckland by the Russian man-of-warKaskowiski. The article described in detail the capture “of the British warship lying in the waters of the Waitemata,” the seizure “of our principal citizens as hostages,” the demand of “a heavy ransom for the city,” and the emptying of “the coffers of the banks of all the gold and specie they contained.” Although the report had a foot-note stating that it was taken “from theDaily Southern Crossof Monday, the 15th May, 1873,” quite a large number of people were deceived by it. One woman, theNew Zealand Heraldstated, became hysterical on reading the account, while a gentleman made preparations for the flight of himself, his wife and family to their farm at the HotSprings. A Queen Street shopkeeper, after reading the report, put up his shutters and reappeared, fully armed, “ready for the fray.”
The trouble Great Britain was having in India, in which Russia was implicated, gave a semblance of probability to the report. At the same time, it is surprising that such a palpable hoax could have misled anyone. The purpose which the newspaper had in producing the article was stated in the next issue to be to “direct attention to the necessity of these colonies being properly protected.”
Eight years later, on 12th December, 1881, the Russian cruiserAfricavisited Auckland without causing consternation among the citizens. Better relations now obtained between the two nations, and Admiral Aslanbexoff, who was in command, was welcomed to the city by the civic authorities, and dined with the Mayor and Mayoress (Mr. and Mrs. J. McCosh Clark) on the evening of the ship’s arrival.
Educational matters received long-delayed attention in this period. As we have already mentioned, the Grammar School commenced its career in thelast year of the ’sixties, but, until the passing of “The Education Act” of 1877, elementary education had been carried on by private and denominational schools, the latter system being introduced in 1847 by Sir George Grey, who realised that the only organisations fit to undertake the work of education were the churches. When the education system passed into the care of the Provincial Council, that body passed, in 1857, an Act for the better regulation of education, but the Council was too hard pressed financially to be able to do much. The Act of 1877, however, placed the education of children on a stable basis, providing for free, compulsory and secular teaching. Following the passing of this Act, a number of private schools came under the national authority. Since then the system has developed, and at the present time there are eighteen primary schools within the city boundaries which supply instruction to over 11,000 children.
Apart from the primary and secondary education systems, Auckland was noticeably deficient in the higher branches of education and in the educational facilities provided for the working man. In fact, except for the Mechanics’ Institute, there was no provision for general or technical education available. Much credit is due to this Institute for what it did in the thirty-eight years of its existence to stimulate interest among, and provide opportunities of self-improvement to, the youth of the community. In glancing through the early files of newspapers, the Institute would seem to have been the Mecca of all things intellectual. During these years it carried on series of lectures by the best lecturers available, and in 1873 classes of instruction were founded, to which sixty men were joined. Among the subjects taught were arithmetic, mathematics, architectural and mechanical drawing, and, more interesting still, there was a class for the study of Maori. These classes were successful, and the Committee of the Institute arranged an exhibition of Fine and Useful Arts, which was opened by the Superintendent of the Province, on Boxing Day, 1873. A few years after this exhibition, the Mechanics’ Institute began to experience difficulties, which ultimately led to its extinction. During the’seventies and ’eighties the Y.M.C.A. carried out courses of lectures in the winter months, which were popular and well patronised.
After the closing of the classes at the Mechanics’ Institute, technical education in Auckland seems to have fallen into neglect until 1896, when the Auckland Technical School was founded, and carried on its work in Rutland Street. In 1900 “The Manual and Technical Instruction Act” was passed, and the following year the Education Board took over the control of the school, and appointed Mr. G. George director. So rapidly did the school develop that a new building became essential, and the promise of a contribution of £10,000 towards its erection having been made by the Auckland Savings Bank in 1905, steps were taken to carry out the proposal. On August 17th, 1909, the foundation stone of the present college was laid by the Governor, Lord Plunket, and the building was opened in 1913 by Sir James Allen, Minister for Education and Defence. Mr. John Mitchell was the architect, and Mr. Stanley Jeffreys the builder; but, owing to the lack of funds, the building as planned was not finished. Additions to meet requirements are now in course of erection. The progress of the college may be estimated by the figures of attendance. In 1902 the number of pupils was thirty. At the opening of the new school (1913) there were 1627 individual students in attendance at day or night classes.
In 1872 Sir George Maurice O’Rorke, whose whole life was associated with the Auckland University College, and who was Chairman of the Council from its inception until his death on 24th August, 1916, made an unsuccessful effort to institute a university in the city. Five years later another agitation was set in being, and resulted in the appointment of a Royal Commission on University and Secondary Education, which reported in July, 1879. Its recommendations were embodied in the “Auckland University College Act, 1882.” The Bill was introduced by Mr. J. A. Tole in 1881, when it was shelved, but received legislative sanction in the following year. To accelerate the opening of the college, the Premier sent instructions to the Agent-General in London to appointprofessors, and upon the arrival of the staff the college was opened by the Governor, Sir William F. D. Jervois, on May 21st, 1883, in the buildings in Eden Street, formerly used as a District Court House, and the old Admiralty House, Short Street.
Shortly afterwards the Council came into possession of the Parliament buildings, which had latterly been used by the Provincial Council, and, with additions along Eden Street, these premises, rich in historic association, but wholly inadequate and unsuitable for a college, had perforce to serve their purpose until 1917, when the buildings were taken over by the City Council in connection with the Anzac Avenue roadway, forcing the College Council to find other quarters. These were found in the old Grammar School buildings, Symonds Street, where provision was made for the Arts, Law, Commerce and Music faculties; the Science departments were accommodated on a site adjoining Government House grounds, which belonged to the College, and here a two-storey building was erected, in the design of which the architects, Messrs. Goldsbro’ and Cumming utilised the oldChoral Hall. The building was officially opened on June 7th, 1919, by the Acting-Premier, Sir James Allen. The contract for the building and alterations was let for £14,767. Fittings and scientific equipment absorbed another £10,000.
The one thing which has stood in the path of the progress of the college has been local disruption with regard to the site. This question has been discussed time after time. The dispute is now settled, and the ground adjoining the Science block was secured in 1919. Competitive designs were invited for a modern building, and the plan of Messrs. Lippincott and Billson, Melbourne, which it is estimated will cost £97,000, was accepted. The building is expected to be completed in 1925.
Much credit is due to Mr. T. W. Leys, who succeeded Sir Maurice O’Rorke as Chairman of the College Council, for the position which now obtains in local university affairs, for it is largely due to his energy that the site question has been settled and the future of the college placed on a satisfactory basis. In recognition of his services to university education, the McGill University of Toronto,in 1920, conferred on him the degree of LL.D.
The most important among the few endowments which the college has received was the gift of £3000 made by Mr. Thomas Bannatyne Gillies, a Judge of the Supreme Court, for the purpose of endowing two scientific scholarships, to be named respectively the Sinclair and Gillies Scholarships.
View of Auckland from Rangitoto Island (960 feet high)Showing North Head, Devonport, in the middle distance and the City and Waitakere Ranges in the background
View of Auckland from Rangitoto Island (960 feet high)Showing North Head, Devonport, in the middle distance and the City and Waitakere Ranges in the background
Fires between ’71 and ’90 were numerous, despite the fact that the early wooden buildings were being replaced by bricks and mortar, but only those representing damages of not less than £10,000 are noticed here. A serious outbreak happened a few minutes before midnight on the 19th November, 1872. It was supposed to have originated in Mr. Frank Scherff’s store, on the northern side of Fort Street, and developed first on the western side of that building, involving the Pacific Fire Insurance premises and another; it then spread in an easterly direction to the buildings occupied by the Waikato Transport Company, Messrs. Bucholz and Messrs. Webb, and although these were divided by brick walls, they were soon ablaze. The fire then crossed the thoroughfare and attackedthe Government buildings, including the Post Office, the Telegraph Office, the Customs House and the offices of the Provincial Council. The Fire Brigades, which were early on the scene, were blamed for allowing the Post Office to become ignited, but it is only just to state that the hoses were in a very bad condition, and handicapped the firemen in their work. The damage amounted to £50,000. The postal buildings, which were destroyed, cost some £30,000 to erect, and were not insured.
The most calamitous fire which had so far overtaken the city took place on September the 6th, 1873, causing the destruction of fifty-four buildings, mostly shops, business premises, and some dwellings, the damages being assessed at £70,000. The outbreak was reported to have commenced in Mrs. Powley’s millinery establishment in Queen Street, which occupied the site where Darby Street stands to-day, and so rapidly did the fire spread that in less than an hour the whole of the west side of the street, up to the United Service Hotel, at the corner of Wellesley Street, was ablaze; the fire then crossed Wellesley Street and its progress upQueen Street to the Anchor Hotel was as rapid as in the other block. Before it ran its course it involved an area bounded by Victoria Street, the old markets site, Queen Street and Elliott Street. While the fire was at its height there was a mild panic, owing to the fear that the conflagration would burn down the city. A large amount of damage was caused by over zealous helpers, who, in their endeavours to save property from the flames, threw household furniture, including pianos even, out of doors and windows, where many of the articles were smashed against the pavement.
Later in the same year another fire occurred, on October the 14th. Commencing either in the back store of Mr. J. Macfarlane or in Messrs. Henderson and Macfarlane, which were adjacent, the flames completely destroyed both premises, and extended to the buildings occupied by Messrs. Stone, Leaning, Bucholz (who had been burned out in the fire of 1872) and Ellingham. The damage amounted to £40,000.
A row of the few remaining wooden buildings which still survived in Queen Street, situated atthe south-east corner of Victoria Street, were burned down in an hour and a half on May 10th, 1876. The fire extended as far back as Lorne Street, and caused damage estimated at £10,000.
Two timber mills were responsible for large fires, involving losses amounting to £10,000 each. The first of these occurred at the Union Sash and Door Company, Mechanics Bay, on July 25th, 1883; the other took place on January 10th, 1885, at the Auckland Timber Company’s mill, Customs Street, where half a million feet of timber was set on fire, creating a magnificent spectacle. The gas works, which were located near by, were carefully watched, in case of danger. At this fire the crew of the U.S. shipIroquoisrendered valuable help.
The last fire to occur within this period took place at the Phœnix Foundry, the business of Messrs. George Fraser and Sons, Stanley Street, on October 19th, 1893, causing damage amounting to five figures.
The weather was also the means of bringing about losses to the community, and the gale which struck Auckland on February 7th, 1874, causedthe death of seven persons by drowning, and damage to shipping and harbour works amounting to over £12,000. No fewer than twenty-five vessels were either damaged or sunk during the storm. On the waterfront the embankments were breached at several places, and sheds injured or destroyed. The owners of small craft sustained extremely serious loss. In comparison with the havoc done in the harbour the damage inland was negligible.
In the previous section the shipping of the port was sketched up to the temporary service that took the place of the Panama Company’s service, which ceased in 1869. In 1871 an agreement was made by the Government with Messrs. Webb and Holladay, owners of the California Line, to run a fleet of four paddle steamers,viz,Nevada(2145 tons),Nebraska(2143 tons),Dacotah(2145 tons)—all of which were fitted with beam engines—andMoses Taylor(1354 tons), from Sydney to San Francisco. Auckland was again the port of call, but for a few trips at the commencement of the service Port Chalmers was made the New Zealand port of call alternately with Auckland, on which occasions Napier, Wellington and Lyttelton were visiteden route. In 1873 the United States withdrew the subsidy, and, as the line had become unpopular with the Australian and New Zealand Governments, the service was ended. Another temporary service was run by Mr. Hall, first by the steamersTartarandMongol, and later by theCyphrenesandMikado; a few trips were made by theCity of Melbourne. The route followed was by Fiji (Kandavu). An offer of the Pacific Mail Company, in conjunction with the Fairfield Shipbuilding Company of Glasgow, was accepted, and inaugurated in 1875, the Fiji route being followed until 1877, when the Honolulu course was adopted. The ships engaged in this service wereVasco de Gama,Colima,City of San Francisco,City of New York,City of Sydney,Zealandia, andAustralia. The contract expired in 1885. The next contract was divided between the Oceanic Company of America and the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand. The Oceanic Company put into commission theAlamedaandMariposa(3158 tons), and the Union Company theMararoa(2598 tons). Thelatter was withdrawn, and was replaced in 1890 by the same company’s new linerMonowai(3433 tons). TheArawasubstituted theMonowaiin this service for a time, but in 1897 theMoanafinally took up the run. In 1900, owing to the legislative enactment of the United States precluding any but American ships from plying between American ports, theMoanawas transferred to the Vancouver service. TheAlamedaandMariposawere also withdrawn, and were replaced by theSierra, which inaugurated a three-weekly service from ’Frisco. She was followed by theSonomaandVentura. This service lasted till 1909, when the New Zealand Government followed the example of the United States, and withdrew the subsidy.
The New Zealand Shipping Company, a Dominion concern, was established in 1873, and ten years later a direct line of steam communication was inaugurated by the company’s steamerBritish King, which began the Government mail contract on January 26th, 1883, when the steamer left London, travellingviaCape Horn. Five steamers were built for this direct service. Since the PanamaCanal was opened, this company has used that route.
The Shaw, Savill and Albion Line about this time placed steamers in the New Zealand run, and the service has continued up to the present. Other lines, including the Tyser and White Star lines, have been engaged upon the New Zealand trade.
In the ’seventies, trade with the Islands attracted Auckland business men, and theStar of the South(Captain W. Farquhar) commenced a monthly service between New Zealand and Fiji.
The coastal services from Auckland developed rapidly in this period, and culminated in the formation of the Northern Steamship Company on May 11th, 1881. The company was formed to take over the steamers and trade of the Auckland Steam Packet Company, and other local steamers. It continued to absorb the other steamer services, including the Coromandel Steamship Company, and, in 1906, the Manukau Steamship Company. The Northern Steamship Company has now forty vessels in its fleet, trading to every part of the province.
A most serious shipping calamity took place on October 28th, 1894, when the Union Steamship Company’s steamerWairarapa(1786 tons) was wrecked at Miner’s Head, Great Barrier, on her voyage from Sydney to Auckland. She left Port Jackson with 230 souls on board. Rounding Cape Maria van Diemen on Sunday morning, the ship ran into a fog. In the fog she mistook her course, and when she crashed on the reef she was twenty-five miles out of it. The death-roll was enormous, 127 passengers and crew, including Captain McIntosh, being drowned. The boats on the port side got away safely, but the starboard boats capsized, owing to the list, and the passengers were precipitated into the water, some of them being drowned. The survivors on the ship spent many miserable hours until dawn. As soon as daylight appeared efforts were made by the survivors to get off the ship. Mr. Leighton climbed to the mast-head and detached the signal halyard, with which the second engineer essayed to swim ashore, but failed. One of the stewards took up the heroic task. He succeeded, and along this thin line of life all passedin safety, save two. The first person, a lady, who reached safety by this means, did so by moving hand over hand, but afterwards an endless line was fixed, on which the remainder of those on board made their escape.
Plan of Auckland Waterfront to-dayThe heavy black line represents the waterfront in 1841
Plan of Auckland Waterfront to-dayThe heavy black line represents the waterfront in 1841
Three years later the Huddart-Parker Company’s inter-colonial steamerTasmaniawas wrecked, on July 29th, 1897, while on a voyage from Auckland to Napier. The weather at the time was dirty and thick, and after sheltering for some time off Gisborne, Captain McGee decided to make for Napier. In the dark the vessel struck a rock off Table Cape, and the captain ordered the passengers and crew to take to the boats. Fortunately, everybody on board got away, and all the boats but two reached land safely. One of these, the carpenter’s boat, capsized off Kawakawa, and a passenger and one of the crew were drowned. The other boat contained eight members of the crew, all of whom were drowned.
A disaster connected with the coastal shipping occurred on March 31st, 1893, when the steamerRubywas wrecked on Managawai Bar, 50 miles from Auckland, two lives being lost.
The commercial progress of the city was continued in the ’seventies, and is illustrated by the appearance of another insurance company of Auckland origin. The new concern was the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Company, which commenced operations in August, 1872, with an initial capital of half a million. Like its elder brother, the New Zealand Insurance Company, it soon extended its field of activity beyond the confines of the Dominion, but did not meet with the same success, and in 1890 a thorough reorganisation of the business took place, since when the advancement of the company has been uniformly consistent.
The advent of a new banking concern was another indication of the commercial prosperity of Auckland. The National Bank of New Zealand opened up business in 1874 in temporary premises on the eastern side of Queen Street, but later in the year it was removed to the present building, at the corner of Queen and Wyndham Streets. Messrs. R. W. Keals and Son were the architects.
The mercantile and industrial development whichAuckland had made since the financial crisis in the ’eighties was remarkable, and culminated in the Mining and Industrial Exhibition of 1898-99, the first modern exhibition that the city had undertaken. The object of the exhibition was to promote and develop local manufactures, mining and productive industries. Mr. Bartholomew Kent was the originator of the exhibition, and, on his suggestion, the Chamber of Commerce, of which he was president at the time, convened a meeting on June 3rd, 1897, for the purpose of forming a committee to carry out the proposal. Mr. Kent was appointed president of the executive, with Mr. W. R. Holmes, secretary. The work of planning and laying out the exhibition was entrusted to Mr. R. W. de Montalk and Mr. H. D. Griffiths, who were respectively architect and engineer to the exhibition. The buildings, which occupied five acres adjoining Government House grounds, were simple but tasteful in design, and cost about £5000 to erect. On the Symonds Street frontage of the grounds a sports area was located, which had cycle and running tracks, and accommodation for 6000 spectators.The Choral Hall adjoining was utilised for the musical events. Mr. F. N. Meadows was the Director of the Exhibition.
The Exhibition was opened by the Governor, the Earl of Ranfurly, on 1st December, 1898, and continued until February of the following year. It was estimated that it was visited by a quarter of a million persons in that time. Financially and socially the Exhibition was completely successful.
Labour and union questions began to interest tradesmen about this period, and in 1872 the Trades and Labour Council was founded. Whatever disputes arose during these years appear to have been easily adjusted, for no strike of any importance is recorded to have taken place in New Zealand until the maritime strike of August, 1890, which involved the New Zealand members of these unions. The strike lasted until November, when conditions again became normal.
Auckland’s first Eight Hours’ Demonstration took place on April 19th, 1882. Like its successor, the Labour Day Demonstration, it took the form of a procession of unionists, some 500 in number,who marshalled in the city and travelled to the Domain, where sports were indulged in. At night the festivities were continued with a supper and dance.
Auckland has always been a fortunate city in respect to benefactors, some of whom have been already noticed. Two others must be mentioned here. Mr. Edward Costley, who died on April 18th, 1883, bequeathed the sum of £84,700 in equal shares to the following city institutions:—Institute and Museum, Public Library, Hospital, Orphan Home, Costley Home for the Aged Poor, Sailors’ Home, and Boys’ Institute. Mr. James Dilworth, the other benefactor, died on December 23rd, 1894, leaving estate valued at £100,000, to be applied to the maintenance and education of orphans or of children of persons of good character and in straitened circumstances, the education to extend to secondary schools and the university if the children show fitness for such.
The Jubilee Institute for the Blind was founded on July 9th, 1890. The present site was purchased in 1891, and a dwelling which stood on it wasrenovated and opened as a school. As the pupils increased, additions were made, including a workshop for blind men. Early in the history of the Institute a building fund had been inaugurated, with the view of erecting a permanent building. The bequest of £10,000 of Mr. Wm. Mason, who died in 1905, and the energy of Mr. John Abbott, enabled the trustees to realise their hopes earlier than otherwise would have been possible. The foundation stone of the new building was laid by the Hon. Geo. Fowlds, Minister for Education, in May, 1907, and on the 21st May, 1909, the building was officially opened by the Governor, Lord Plunket. Mr. E. Bartley was the architect, and Messrs. Philcox and Son the contractors, the cost of the building being £13,735.
The Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria was celebrated in Auckland on June 22nd, 1897, and during the following week. For the occasion the city was elaborately decorated, every building and vantage point being utilised, and at night, illuminations, bonfires and fireworks were to be seen everywhere. Both decorations and illuminations surpassed anything of the kind ever previously attempted in Auckland. The formal celebrations comprised a magnificent procession, in which the navy, the army, the corporations of the city and suburban districts, the Harbour Board and other institutions took part, as well as the children of the public schools. The vehicles taking part were gaily decorated, and banners were conspicuous. The procession travelled from Queen Street to the Domain, where 20,000 people were congregated. Mr. P. Dignan, Mayor, delivered an address, and concluded by asking the school children, numbering about 2,000, to sing the National Anthem. The military part of the proceedings consisted of the firing of a Royal salute, a review and a march past, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Banks, in which all the regiments of the city, cadets and veterans took part. The review was followed by a military tournament, which was witnessed by over 15,000 people.
In connection with the celebrations a committee, with the Mayor as chairman, was appointed to take steps to commemorate the sixty years’ reign of theQueen. The committee decided to erect a statue. On the 80th anniversary of the Queen’s birthday (24th May, 1899) this monument—the first statue of the Queen erected in New Zealand—which stands in Albert Park, was unveiled by the Governor, the Earl of Ranfurly. It was designed by Mr. Williamson.
Queen Street To-day
Queen Street To-day
The closing years of Victoria’s reign were darkened by the outbreak of hostilities in South Africa, in 1899. The war was not at first considered to be a serious affair, but the Colonial Governments nevertheless at once offered their assistance to the Imperial authorities. Opinions differed then, as now, as to the wisdom of the war, and it is in no controversial spirit that mention is made here to the subject. It would, however, be impossible to pass over the event without referring to it as a matter of history. New Zealand sent ten contingents to South Africa, the first sailing on 21st October, 1899, and the last at the beginning of 1902. The total number of men despatched was upwards of 6000 of all ranks, and an equal number of horses. Auckland was well represented in these forces,some of which sailed direct from the Waitemata.
The Veterans’ Home, Mount Roskill, which was opened by the Governor, the Earl of Ranfurly, on 10th December, 1903, was established as a national war memorial to the New Zealanders who died in the South African War, and to provide a home for aged veterans. The successful accomplishment of the project was due in a large measure to the energy of the Governor. The home has now passed into the control of the Auckland Patriotic and War Relief Association.
The last twenty years of Auckland’s history have continued the prosperity which commenced in the late ’nineties, with the recovery from the slump. The rise in the population illustrates this clearly. The increase was slow, but steady, in the first decade; in the next it reached almost a record rate. At the 1901 census the population of the city was 34,213, a small increase of 2789 over the figures of 1896. Ten years later the numbers had risen to 40,536, and in 1916 to 64,951. At the recent enumeration, taken at the opening of the present year (1921), the city’s population totalled 83,467, an increase in the last ten years exceeding 100 per cent. The recent increase is partly attributable to the amalgamation of contiguous local bodies with the city, the details of which are given onp. 239, but the main cause of the city’s prosperity is due to the position which Auckland holds as theprincipal city of the large and wealthy pastoral districts which surround it. The agricultural industry has made wonderful progress in these years, and the city, being the natural medium of exchange between the producer and the oversea markets, advanced rapidly as an important commercial centre. Auckland’s prosperity has been built upon its advantageous commercial position, and the present ratio of progress is a happy augury of the future.
The Twentieth Century opened auspiciously with the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, who arrived in Auckland—their first port of call in New Zealand—on the 10th of June, and remained here until the 12th. The heir to the throne and his princess were welcomed to the Dominion and the city by the Governor, the Earl of Ranfurly, the Rt. Hon. R. J. Seddon, Prime Minister, other ministers and members of Parliament, Dr. (afterwards Sir) John Logan Campbell, Mayor, and members of the City Council, the Chairman (Mr. Alfred Kidd) and members of the Harbour Board. The city was lavishly decorated,the illuminations at night being a feature. On their journey from the wharf to Government House Their Royal Highnesses received a welcome, characterised by unparalleled enthusiasm, from the citizens, which included some 2500 school children, who formed a living Union Jack in Wellesley Street East. During his stay in Auckland the Duke was present at a military review at Potter’s Paddock, where he distributed medals to men who had served in the Boer War.
Two interesting events were associated with the Royal visit, the principal one being the presentation by Dr. John Logan Campbell of a park of 230 acres, which the donor invited His Royal Highness to accept on behalf of the people of New Zealand, and requested him to name it Cornwall Park, in commemoration of the visit; the other was the laying of the foundation stone of the Queen Victoria School for Maori Girls, Parnell, which the Duke performed on behalf of the Duchess.
The gift of Cornwall Park by the venerable doctor was the “crowning glory of his life,” as the donor himself said. Logan Campbell arrived inNew Zealand in 1839, and, pending the choice of the capital on the Waitemata, he settled temporarily on Motu Korea (Brown’s Island). As soon as the site had been fixed he moved over to the mainland, and was amongst the original buyers of land at the first Auckland land sale. He became Superintendent of the Auckland Provincial Council, 1855-56, and at different times represented Auckland and Parnell in the House of Representatives. He was associated with practically every movement to develop Auckland’s commercial interests, and every organisation which had for its object the social advancement of the city obtained his willing assistance. In 1901, prior to the Royal visit, he was appointed Mayor of Auckland, and no more suitable person could have been found than this pioneer, who had helped to build the city from its inception. The following year he was knighted. He died June 22nd, 1912, and was buried on the summit of Maungakiekie (One Tree Hill), the funeral being the most largely attended in the history of the city. Business was suspended, and thousands of persons lined the route as thefuneralcortégepassed, bearing the mortal remains of the aged pioneer to its last resting place.
His benefactions during his life included the Kindergarten, the Crèche and the Nursery, all of which bear his name, and at his death he bequeathed to public institutions a total of £76,000.
Cornwall Park was formally opened on August 26th, 1903, the donor leading a procession of carriages, containing the public men and women of the city and district, through the new drive from Manukau road to the Huia Lodge. The Drive to the hilltop was completed and opened on January 29th, 1907, and the park was vested in a domain board. With a view to commemorating the gift of Cornwall Park and Sir John Logan Campbell’s other services to the community, it was decided to erect a statue of him at the entrance to the park. The work was entrusted to Mr. Fred Pegram, an English sculptor. The unveiling was performed by the Governor, Lord Plunket, on May 24th, 1906, Sir John himself taking part in the ceremony.
Later in the same year (1901) the distinguished Scottish general, Sir Hector Macdonald, who hadrisen from the ranks, visited Auckland on November 8th, and remained in the city until the 11th. He was welcomed by the Mayor, Mr. Alfred Kidd, and citizens, the Scottish community in particular showering hospitality upon him. He spent a busy time in Auckland, and, amongst other things, inspected the cadets at the Domain. As a memorial of his visit, the Scotsmen of the city endowed a cot at the Hospital, which bears the name of this famous soldier, whose career closed a few years later under tragic circumstances.
Eleven years later two other famous generals, Earl Kitchener and Lieutenant-General Sir Robert S. S. Baden-Powell, visited Auckland. The former reached the city on March 1st, 1912. The object of his visit was of a military character, as he had been invited by the Government to prepare a scheme of defence for the Dominion. Lord Kitchener was received with enthusiasm, and during his brief sojourn he inspected the harbour defences, and reviewed 4000 cadets in the Domain.
Sir Robert Baden-Powell, founder and Chief of the Boy Scouts, came to Auckland in connectionwith this movement. He arrived on May 28th, 1912, and received a civic welcome from the citizens, the Mayor, Mr. C. J. Parr, presiding. The hero of Mafeking spent a busy day, which included a review of 2500 cadets and 500 boy scouts at the Domain, the Governor, Baron Islington, taking the salute. In the evening Sir Robert delivered a lecture at the Town Hall.
Two years later Sir Ian Hamilton, Inspector-General of the Overseas Forces, came to New Zealand in an official capacity. He arrived in Auckland on May 12th, 1914, for the purpose of inspecting the military stations in the district, and the day following reviewed 4000 senior cadets at the Domain. He was accorded a civic reception, Mr. A. J. Entrican, Acting-Mayor, officiating.
During the same year two Australian statesmen visited the Dominion on official business. Mr. W. A. Holman, Premier of New South Wales, arrived in Auckland on February 9th, and Mr. Andrew Fisher, Premier of the Commonwealth of Australia, on December 28th, 1914.
View of Auckland’s Harbour Frontage taken from a sea-plane, showing the wharves
View of Auckland’s Harbour Frontage taken from a sea-plane, showing the wharves
In the last twenty years the Waitemata has received a number of visits from various navies, the first of which was made by the Australian Squadron, which arrived in the harbour on February 28th, 1903, under the command of Vice-Admiral Arthur Dalrymple Fanshawe. The warships comprising the squadron were theRoyal Arthur(flagship),Ringarooma,Wallaroo,Phoebe,Archer,Karrakatta,Sparrow,LizardandPenguin. The fleet remained for a week in the harbour, and during its stay the annual fleet regatta took place. While on this visit, Admiral Fanshawe declined the offer of the use of Admiralty House, which had been erected by the Harbour Board at a cost of over £8500, including land.
The visit of the United States Navy, in 1908, was one of the gayest and most spectacular events in the history of Auckland. The fleet reached Auckland on Sunday morning, August 9th, and the Admiral and his men were welcomed by crowds estimated at 100,000 persons, who utilised every vantage point on the harbour front. The city and harbour were decorated in a most extensive manner, the illuminations, in which electricity was usedfor the first time, being particularly elaborate. The official landing of Rear-Admiral Sperry and his officers took place on Monday, when they were received by the Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. J. G. Ward; members of the Legislature; the Mayor (Mr. Arthur M. Myers), and members of the City Council; the chairman (Hon. E. Mitchelson), and members of the Harbour Board, and others.
Thereafter a week of festivities, the like of which the city had never previously indulged in, took place, including banquets, receptions on land and aboard the ships of the fleet, reviews, race meetings and sports, both general and aquatic. Public and private organisations vied with each other in the entertainment of both officers and men. The population joined in all these proceedings, and made the occasion memorable for the visitors and a pleasure to themselves. “Fleet Week,” the name by which the event is now generally referred to, ended on August 15th, on which date the fleet steamed out of the harbour.
H.M.S.New Zealand, a battle cruiser of 18,800 tons, which was presented by the Government ofNew Zealand to the Home Government, arrived, on a visit, in Auckland Harbour on April 29th, 1913, with Captain Lionel Halsey in command. The vessel and its crew received a great welcome from the citizens, and while in port she was visited by 94,616 persons. In the Great War the ship took part in the sea fights of Heligoland, Dogger Bank and Jutland. After the close of the war the battle cruiser revisited Auckland, on September 23rd, 1919, with Admiral Lord Jellicoe, who was engaged upon a report on Empire defence, in command. Another great welcome was accorded both ship and the distinguished sailor, who the year following returned to New Zealand as Governor-General. He made his first visit to Auckland in a gubernatorial capacity on October 30th, 1920.
During the war period two Japanese warships,IwateandAzumavisited New Zealand, arriving here on July 9th, 1916. Admiral Matsumura, his officers, and the cadets who manned the ships, were received by the civic authorities, and were entertained during their stay in port. Both ships hadseen service in the Great War, but were now being used as training ships.
Fires are the commonplace events of a city’s history, and every city’s records are full of these occurrences. During the twenty years under review large fires alone,i.e., those causing damage to the extent of £10,000, destroyed property to the value of over half a million sterling. The first of these took place on January 13th, 1901, and completely destroyed three large buildings in Commerce and Customs Streets, and damaged two others. The principal losers by the fire were Messrs. Bond and Bell, L. D. Nathan and Co. (bond store), and G. W. Owen and Co. The origin of the fire was unknown, but owing to the inflammable nature of the goods in stock, the flames soon obtained a firm hold of the buildings, and in three hours had entirely consumed them. The loss sustained in the fire amounted to £90,000 (estimated). The Fire Brigades were unfit to cope with so large a conflagration, on account of the inadequacy of their appliances, although the water pressure was all that was required.
A characteristic of the fires which had occurred in Auckland up to this time was that, with one exception, no lives had been lost. The Grand Hotel fire of May 31st, 1901, was unfortunately responsible for the death of five persons—three children and two adults. The building was burned out, only the walls remaining. The damage was approximately £12,000.
A disastrous outbreak of fire took place on 4th May, 1904, in the warehouse belonging to Messrs. T. and S. Morrin, High Street, practically gutting the building and destroying a valuable stock of ironmongery. The damage was estimated to be in excess of £50,000. A number of firemen were injured by the collapse of a wall. After this fire had been brought under control, another outbreak in the retail premises of the same firm, which stood on the other side of High Street. Fortunately, it was confined to the roof.
The City Chambers, situated at the corner of Queen and Victoria Streets, was destroyed by fire in the early part of the evening of June 21st, 1906. All the storeys except the first were destroyed. Thedamage to the building amounted to considerably over £10,000, and the loss on stock was also considerable, but difficult to ascertain, as the Chambers were rented as offices and occupied by many people.
Another serious fire, causing damage estimated at £100,000, destroyed the four-storeyed building in Queen Street, known as the Strand Arcade, on August 16th, 1909. So intense were the flames that in two hours the building, which had only been erected eight years, was reduced to a heap of ruins. It was due to the energies of the Fire Brigades that the hotels on either side of the Arcade were not involved in the conflagration.
One of the biggest fires ever experienced in Auckland broke out a few minutes before eleven o’clock on November 16th, 1911, in the premises of Messrs. Macky, Logan, Caldwell and Co., Elliott Street. The outbreak was first observed at the Darby Street end of the building, but in a very short time the whole front, from Darby Street to Victoria Street, was in flames. As a spectacle, it was one of the grandest fires seen in the city. It burned so fiercely that fears were entertained thatthe whole block, which is bounded by Queen Street, would be involved. A right-of-way in Darby Street, combined with the efforts of the firemen, however, stayed the course of the fire, and in less than three hours the outbreak was under control, but not before damage estimated at £150,000 had been caused.
On 29th March, 1913, Endean’s Buildings, at the corner of Queen and Quay Streets, were destroyed by fire. The damage was estimated at £35,000.
A fire which took place on October 23rd, 1915, at the stables of Messrs. J. J. Craig Ltd., Parnell, totally destroyed the building, and caused the death of more than two hundred horses. So speedily did the fire spread that only two animals escaped alive.
The fire on February 6th, 1917, which occurred in Gleeson’s Buildings, High Street, was peculiar in respect of the amount of damage to goods in relation to the damage which the building sustained. Cinematograph films, stated to be worth £28,000, belonging to the Amalgamated Film Exchange of Australia (whose representatives occupied floorsin this building), were destroyed. The damage to the building did not exceed £1000.
Two outbreaks of fire took place at Messrs. Bycroft Ltd., Shortland Street within a month of one another. The first occurred on February 6th, 1919, gutting the part of the building fronting Shortland Street, and causing damage estimated at £15,000. The second fire broke out on March 8th in the rear portion of the building, destroying it and causing injury to the machinery. The damage on this occasion was about £12,000.
Another fire, which had fatal results, was the Thames Hotel blaze of February 19th, 1919. Two storeys were gutted, and one of the guests was burned to death. Others received injuries while escaping from the burning building.