No efforts were, however, to be left untried by the parliamentary opponents of Walpole to force him into a war; and while they incessantly inveighed against the pusillanimity of the minister, they did not scruple to give their sanction to the most exaggerated accounts of the insults permitted and exercised by the Spaniards, and indeed to the most incredible tales of horror. A transaction which had occurred seven years before, and which was now worked up into “the fable of Jenkins’ ear,” as Burke justly calls it, was made the vehicle of popular frenzy; and it required the full exertion of ministerial sagacity and influence to elude an immediate rupture. The pacific overtures of Sir R. Walpole were most ably seconded by Mr. Keene, whose address overcame the dilatoriness, the punctilios, and the repugnance of the Spanish Court; and a convention was signed at Madrid, which promised all the advantages which the most successful warfare could have procured. But no reasonable concession could satisfy the people of England: their haughty and insulting language at length disgusted and provoked the Spanishnation. The terms of the convention were, in consequence, not fulfilled; Mr. Keene was recalled, and the declaration of War against Spain was hailed in England with a frantic enthusiasm. “They nowringthe bells,” was Sir Robert’s observation, “but they will soonwringtheir hands.” Burke, whose veracity will not be doubted, declares that he had seen and examined the original documents concerning these important transactions, and that they had perfectly satisfied him of the extreme injustice of this war with Spain. He even says, “some years after, it was my fortune to converse with many of the principal actors against that minister, and with those who principally excited that clamour. None of them, no not one, did in the least defend the measure, or attempt to justify their conduct, which they as freely condemned as they would have done in commenting upon any proceeding in history, in which they were totally unconcerned.” It is sufficient to add, that after a disgraceful period of seven years’ hostility, after a dreadful expense of blood and treasure, the right of English Subjects to navigate in the American Seas, the original source of the differences between us and Spain, were not even mentioned in the articles of the ensuing peace!!
Mr. Keene was again appointed to the same honourable station, and in 1754 his majesty George the second was pleased to give a fresh and public mark of approbation of the ambassador’s conduct, by dignifying him with the knighthood of the order of the Bath; and as the king of Spain graciously performed the ceremonyof investing him with the ribband, Sir Benjamin, in allusion to that particular ceremony, took for his motto “Regibus Amicis.” He died at Madrid 15. December 1757, at the time when he was about to return to England, with a view of retiring from public employment, and to be created a Peer of Great Britain.[1073a]His great abilities as a minister, exercised and improved by long and important services; the liberality and magnificence with which he supported the dignity of his public character, without any attention to the increase of his private fortune; and unusual esteem and affection for his person, which his many amiable qualities procured him at the court where he resided, were universally acknowledged, and made his death, especially at that critical juncture, a real loss to his country. His remains were brought over from Madrid, and buried at Lynn, in St. Nicholas’ chapel, near his beloved parents.[1073b]A sarcophagus of white marble is placed over his grave, having on one side a medallion bust of the deceased, and on the other a bas relief of Peace trampling under foot the emblems of War, and pointing to ships and bales of merchandize.
20. Dr.Edmund Keene, a younger brother of Sir Benjamin, was borne at Lynn in 1714. Through the interest of Sir Robert Walpole he was educated at the Charter-House, and thence admitted of Caius College, Cambridge in 1730. He was elected Fellow in 1737, but afterwards he removed to St. Peters’ college, on being appointed Fellow of that society in 1739; and he was made Master of Peter-House in 1748. He was elected Vice-chancellor of the university two succeeding years, 1749 and 1750. In 1753 he was promoted to the seeof Chester;[1075]and in 1764 the Primacy of Ireland was offered to him, which he declined: but (as it is related by Bp. Newton in the account of his life,) “he urged his request to Mr. Grenville, that, upon the vacancy, he might succeed to the see of Ely, which was the great object, the aim and end of all his ambition.” In 1771, he “succeeded to his heart’s desire, and happy it was that he did so; for few could have borne the expense, or displayed the taste and magnificence which he did, as he had a liberal fortune, as well as liberal mind, and really merited the appellation of a builder of palaces. For he built a new palace at Chester, he built a new Ely-house in London, and in a great measure a new palace at Ely, left only the outer walls standing, formed a new inside, and thereby converted it into one of the best episcopal houses, if not the very best in the kingdom. He had indeed received the money which arose from thesale of old Ely-house, and also what was paid by the executors of his predecessor for dilapidation, which altogether amounted to about 11,000l.But new houses require new furniture.”—Such is the detail of narrative old age. Bp. Keene published only two or three sermons on the usual state occasions: he is said to have been an attentive prelate to his diocese, particularly in reserving to himself the appointment of all the curates in those parishes which were without a resident incumbent. He died in 1781.
21.Thomas Chesterton. He was born at or near Downham, in Norfolk, about the year 1715. When he was of a proper age to be sent to school he was placed under the care of a respectable clergyman in that neighbourhood, who had a number of other pupils, the sons of reputable families, who generally turned out well, and did him no small credit. Among young Chesterton’s schoolfellows there, were the late revd. Thorogood Upwood, Mr. Philip Case, and others of equally creditable connections. His superior genius for learning was known and acknowledged by most of his fellow pupils, many of whom in making their exercises were often not a little indebted to his assistance. While in that seminary he was well grounded in the rudiments of the Latin and Greek languages: nor did that satisfy him, for he continued ever after to press forward unweariedly for further literary improvement; till he acquired an intimate and accurate knowledge, not only of the Latin and Greek languages, but also of the Hebrew and its kindred tongues, the Chaldee, Syriackand Arabick; of the latter of which he composed a Grammar, which was well thought of by good judges. He acquired likewise no slight knowledge of the Persian, Coptic, and Ethiopic languages: so that it was not without reason that some literary characters, even in the establishment, who were well acquainted with his attainments, looked upon him as one of the best scholars in this county.—It should have been observed that after he left school, being designed for the medical profession, he was placed with aMr. Harvey, a Surgeon and apothecary of very extensive practice in this town. After he got out of his time with Harvey, he married and went into business for himself: and being well respected in the town he soon came into good practice. Having from the first been a frequent attendant on the ministry of the younger Rastrick, he by degrees imbibed his principles and became a decided nonconformist. Afterwards, in consequence of having some scruples about infant baptism, he renounced that practice, professed himself a Baptist, and joined a Society of that denomination at Downham. He was soon after encouraged to engage in the ministry, and having an invitation to settle with a congregation at Colnbrook in Buckinghamshire, he accepted the same and removed to that place, where he continued several years. He afterwards resigned his pastoral charge there, and removed to London where he followed his medical profession (as he had also done at Colnbrook) and preached occasionally. The congregation he was now chiefly connected with was that which met in Eagle Street under the ministry of the late Dr. Grifford of the BritishMuseum. His health now declining, and his property at Lynn and other parts of Norfolk requiring a nearer residence, he returned back to this town about 1765, after an absence in all of about ten years. He now resumed the medical practice, chiefly to introduce his son into business, who was brought up to the same profession. It so happened at this juncture that the people who had formerly seceded from Mr. Rastrick’s congregation, and had formed a sort of Independent society, were without a minister: their late minister, William Eltringham, commonly calledcaptainEltringham, having removed from them to another congregation. These people invited him to become their minister, and he accepted their invitation. But he was not long comfortable among them. They soon became as unsatisfied with him as they had been with Mr. Rastrick, though not on the same pretence. The connection between him and them was consequently dissolved. His health was now declining so fast, that he was obliged to relinquish the ministry and every other active employment. After languishing for some time, and mostly in most excruciating pains, he died on the 10th of May 1770, at the age of 54. His disorder was said to be an ulcer in the bladder. He was pretty highly orthodox, but, by all accounts, a very pious, as well as a very learned man.
22.David Lloyd, L.L.D. He was a native of Cilcennin in Cardiganshire. After having spent some time at school in that neighbourhood he was sent to the grammar school at Caermarthen, then a very reputable seminary. He went afterwards to Jesus College in Oxford,where he took the degree of L.L.B. and afterwards that of L.L.D.[1079]After having acquitted himself very creditably as usher at some school in the vicinity of the metropolis, he was chosen master of the Lynn Grammar School in 1760; which situation he filled with great reputation to himself, and equal advantage to his pupils for the long space of 34 years. It does not appear that this school was ever in so flourishing a state under any other master, unless it was in the time of Mr.Horne, who was so long at the head of it, as was before observed. Dr. LL. was unwearied in his attention to the literary improvement of the youth placed under his care, and to the forming of them to be useful members of society in the different departments for which they were designed; in which he appears to have been in no small degree successful, as may be seen by the number of those who were once his pupils and now usefully occupy very respectable stations of life. The Doctor went into orders late in life; (at the age of 50 or upwards) and having no preferment in the church he preached but seldom, confining himself entirely to the duties of his other profession. He died in 1794, and was buried in the chancel of St. Margaret’s church. A stone with the following inscription marks his grave—
“Sacred to the Memory ofThe revd. DAVID LLOYD,L.L.D.Master of the Grammar School in this town for34years;Who departed this life Nov.19. 1794,aged60years.In him were united,with all the virtues of private life,those inestimablequalities which ought ever to characterize the instructor of youth.To the authority of a Tutor he added the tenderness of a Father,Multis ille bonis flebilis occidit.”
23.Robert Hamilton, M.D. F.R.S. and F.R.C.P. Edinb. was another of the former inhabitants of Lynn who deserved well of his fellow townsmen and of the public at large. He was born at Edinburgh Dec. 17. 1721; and was a younger son of James Hamilton, who was bred to the law, and was at one time deputy keeper of Holyrood-House, under James Duke of Hamilton, its hereditary keeper. He was educated at the High School in his native city, and was there at the time of the memorable affair of captain Porteus. When of a proper age he was placed with a surgeon and apothecary at Leith, where he remained three years. After having attended the lectures of different professors at the university, upon the materia medica, pharmacy, botany, anatomy, surgery, &c. he was at length obliged to quit these studies, and procured a birth on board the Somerset man of war in 1741, having previously undergone the usual examination at Surgeon’s Hall, London. He continued in that line, or as a navy-surgeon, for about seven years, when the peace of Aix-la-chapelle put him out of employment. He came to Lynn in 1748, to see a brother who was married here and settled as a merchant; and having heard of, and engaged a situation at the neighbouring village of Great Massingham, where there was a vacancy for a surgeon and apothecary, he settled there in August that same year, but continued there only till October 1749, when he removed and settled at Lynn: and not long after he married a Miss Hawkins, the sister of his brother’s wife. He now went into business, in partnership with Mr. Young, a grandson of Dr. Hepburn. A vacancy for aphysician happening here in 1765 by the death of Dr. Lidderdale, he was advised to procure a doctors degree, in order to become his successor, which advice he at length complied with, and in May 1766 received that honour from St. Andrew’s, the diploma being signed by no less than ten professors.—Not long after he relinquished the practice of pharmacy, and pursued those of physic and midwifery, which he followed the remainder of his life, with considerable applause, and general approbation. He died Nov. 9. 1793, and was buried in St. Nicholas’ chapel, regretted by a large portion of the community.[1081]
Before we entirely close this part of the work, and proceed to theconclusion, or to give aview of the present state of the town, it may not be improper here, by way ofPostscript, to rectify some slight mistakes, and to supply certain omissions that have been discovered in different parts of the preceding sections, since the sheets have been printed off.
In the first place, the author wishes he had, at page 137, somewhat enlarged the memoir of that eminent president of the R. S.Martin Folkes Esq; the maternal grandfather of Martin Folkes Rishton Esq; of this town; and especially that he had more particularly noticed that ingenious, elaborate, and masterly publication of his, theTables“of theEnglish Silver-coins, from the Norman conquest to the present time;” and “of theEnglish Gold Coinsfrom the 18th. of Edward III, when gold was first coined in England, to the present time.” The work is comprised in one volume quarto, and was printed in 1745, for the society of Antiquaries. It is a work of the highest authority, and of the greatest use and importance to those who wish to be thoroughlyacquainted with the subject there treated of; and might, perhaps, he consulted with no small advantage by our senators and others in the present precarious state of our currency.
At page961, the author now finds that he was mistaken in saying thatboth the old memberswere returned at the contested election 1784.Walpoleindeed was returned with Molineux, yet not the old member of that name, but a relation of his, who for a long while after continued to be one of our representatives; to what benefit or advantage to the town or nation, the present writer is not able to say.—The author has been blamed for passing over in silence theBall and Suppergiven at our Town-Hall incommemoration of the Revolution, on the 14th. of November 1788, pronounced, as it is said, by both Mr. and Mrs Coke to have been “equal in Splendorandmore comfortable than that given at Holkham.” The fact is, the author had quite forgotten it; and as it was kept so muchout of time, he is still inclined to think that it was given more out of vain parade, than, out of real gratitude for that great and interesting event.—Another omission the author has been reminded of is, “that in April 1797,prince William(now duke) ofGloucestervisited Lynn, and after reviewing the Volunteers, and dining with the mayor, was presented with the freedom of this ancient borough.”—The execution ofPeter Donahue, serjeant in the 30th. regiment of foot, for forgery at Lynn in 1801 is another omission suggested to the author; and also the condemnation ofRobert Nichols, the year after, for sheep stealing: to which might have been added the fatal disaster of the Ferry-boat, this present year, by which ten persons at least perished.—It will be the author’s endeavour to set all these matters right in a Table of remarkable events at the end of the work.
Impartial view of thepresent stateof the town and its vicinity: containing introductory observations, brief account of churches, chapels, almshouses, workhouses, charitable and social institutions, religious sects and confraternities, the corporation, the shipping, trade and commerce, exports and imports, population, &c. &c.
This town, or at least its western vicinity, being that part of Marshland that lies contiguous to the town, has of late experienced an unexpected and most striking change, in the sudden resort thither and settlement of a number of characters in high life, consisting of peers, courtiers, statesmen, nabobs, royal physicians, naval and military commanders, &c. This may be reckoned among the wonders of these eventful times. It is marvellous in the eyes of most people, and has filled all Marshland with astonishment, so as to make its homely and unlettered inhabitants ready to lift up their voices and cry out with the ancient Lycaonians, “The gods are come down to us in the likeness of men!”—or with a celebrated English poet, “Descending gods find their Elysiumhere!”[1085]—The enormous price given by these new-comers for the estates they have purchased has greatly astonished the whole country, being about double the current valuation, or what lands usually fetched here before: and as some of them are said to be deep in political and state secrets, these purchases have excited strong suspicions of the tottering existence and depreciating state of all funded property. For had such property been really safe and good, these sagacious persons would hardly have withdrawn theirs and thus deliberately bury it in the bogs of Marshland.
Those changes also that have recently taken placewithinthe town are many of them very curious and striking. The late improvements in the Streets, by the new paving of them, &c. might indeed be pronounced proper and commendable, had not the expense fallen so heavy upon that large portion of the community who were quite unable to bear the pressure of any additional imposts, and could hardly stand under the weight of those that had been previously imposed. Here the projectors and promoters of the scheme appear in a very unfavourable light—inconsiderate and unfeeling in a very high degree. But it is in their rageforinnovationthey appear in the queerest light. Considering what they have done in that way, it seems really a wonder that the very name of the town itself has escaped them, or that they did not take it into their heads to bestow upon it some new and whimsical appellation, as they have done to almost every part of it, and even some of principal Streets.Checker Street, for instance, has been by them calledKing Street, though it had borne the former name for many ages. TheGrass MarketandDamgate, which were always before considered astwodistinct Streets, (and had borne those names perhaps 500 years, if not much longer) are by them converted intoone, and calledNorfolk Street; a name that might with equal propriety have been given toBroad Street, orHigh Street, or any other Street in the town. All this, if not superlatively fantastical and absurd, is certainly childish and ridiculous enough. But we will pursue the subject no further.
Among the recent changes in the town, those that have taken place in theWorkhouseand theHallmust not be here forgotten or overlooked. The new order of things in the former place, (theWorkhouse,) is expected to produce a saving to the town, to no small amount, without any material detriment to the paupers, that are there maintained: and this expectation, it is to be hoped, will not issue in disappointment, like too many of our former golden dreams. As to theHall, the spirit of economy and retrenchment seems to have become there now quite triumphant. Such public daysas those ofSt. JohnandSt. Michael, so remarkable heretofore for festivity and hilarity, are now become like days of fasting and humiliation. Not only the sumptuous dinners and convivialities of former times have now totally disappeared, but even the poor pittance of a bit of cake and a glass of wine, has been actually withheld, even from the worshipful members whose attendance on those days was indispensable, and who may be looked upon as the very pillars and atlases of our ancient municipal constitution. After all it is not meant here to censure this new frugal plan. It may be very necessary and highly proper, as the world goes; for it certainly corresponds with the complexion and exigencies of the times, which require the strictest economy and utmost frugality from almost every description of our dear countrymen, to enable them to go on with any prospect of success or comfort. But here it was only meant to state a historical fact, too remarkable to be entirely overlooked.
Brief account of the Churches and Chapels.
In an account of the churches of Lynn, the first place, no doubt, is due to that ofSt. Margaret, which was founded about the close of the 11th, or commencement of the 12thcentury, by Herbert de Lozinga bishop of Norwich; memorable for his simoniacal offences, and subsequent architectural expiations. Among the latter were thecathedraland episcopalpalaceat Norwich,the great church ofSt. Nicholasat Yarmouth, and this of St.Margaretat Lynn. The latter according to a certain ancient deed or register was built by himat the request of the men of the town of Lynn. But if that was the case, it seems their contributions proved by no means adequate to the magnitude or exigences of the undertaking; for the work it seems went but slowly and heavily on, till he had recourse to that notable and wonderful expedient of offering forty days pardon, or an indulgence for that time in all manner of licentious or vicious courses, to all who would contribute towards the completion of the sacred edifice. The work then went on prosperously, was soon finished in a magnificent style, and the indulgence effected what an appeal to the most pious considerations would probably have failed to accomplish.
St. Margaret’s church, King’s Lynn
Herbert dedicated this edifice toSt. Margaret the virgin,[1088]or, as some say, to saintMary Magdalen, St.Margaret and all the virgin saints; which probably made Mr. Britton in the Beauties of England call it St.Mary’s church, a name which does not appear to have been given to it by any body else. This church has been so often re-edified and repaired since its first erection, that but a small part of it, as it now stands, is supposed to be as old as the days of Lozinga. If there be any, it seems to be towards the west, or south-west end, where the style of architecture appears to bespeak much higher antiquity than any other part, according to the opinion of the best judges.
The church in its original state is supposed to have been of greater dimensions, as well as more magnificent, than it is at present; and it was certainly the case in later ages, and until the last century, when the spire fell on the body of the church and demolished a great part of it. This happened in 1741. Soon after the eastern tower lanthorn was taken down, from a fear (groundless it seems) that it might also fall, as the spire had done, and occasion irreparable damage. It was therefore done to preserve the eastern part of the church. The West end being demolished by the fall of the spire, an act of Parliament was procured for re-building the body of the church. The king, it is said, contributed a thousand pounds, and lord Orford 500l.towards the work; and it was completed in 1747.[1089]It is muchsmaller than the former, but is still one of the largest and handsomest parish churches in the kingdom:—it also abounds with the tombs of our principal townsmenof other times; (and so do the other churches of St. Nicholas and All-saints,) with endless monumental inscriptions, which those who are fond of such compositions may find at large inMackerell’svolume, which contains little else. But they would take up too much room in this work. This church had formerly at least three chapels attached to it, or comprehended in it: one dedicated to theTrinity, one toSt. John, and one if we are not mistaken, toSt. Stephen; only one or twoof which now remain. That of theTrinitywas taken down very lately, in the progress of our paving-act improvements: and long before that the whole north side of the church-yard was laid open and made a part of the street, or market place. A new burying-ground, however, of a much larger extent, has been since laid out adjoining to St. James’s Church-yard, on which a neat small chapel has been erected, merely for the purpose of reading the burial service. Had the friends of the establishment contrived to build it on a larger scale, in order to have divine service there on Sunday evenings, it might have answered a very good purpose; and such a place would have been much filter for delivering evening lectures than either of the two great churches, both of which were originally constructed for very different purposes, it is to this omission of having evening lectures in the churches, that the methodists and other dissenters owe their crowded audiences, and not to the greater purity of their creeds, or the superior abilities and respectability of their ministers.
N. W. view of Chapel & Burial Ground
2.St. Nicholas’s Chapel. BothMackerellandParkinhave employed their pens in describing this respectable fabrick. But a much better account of it, and the best, no doubt, that has ever yet been given, came from the pen of therevd. Edward Edwards, one of the present ministers of the town, and has appeared in the 7th. number of the 3rd. volume ofBritton’s Architectural Antiquities. From that and other accounts we learn, that this chapel, was built in the latter part of the 14th century on the site of another erected abouttwo centuries before, and of much smaller dimensions. Mackerell seemed much puzzled to determine to what Nicholas this sacred building had been dedicated, whetherthe proselyte of Antioch, mentioned in the book of Acts, orthe bishop of Myraof the same name, who so stoutly opposed the Arians at the Council of Nice. After all, it seems not very likely that it was either of them, but a namesake of theirs, of a much more modern date.[1093]This, however, is a question in which few of the readers of this work will feel themselves much interested.
This elegant edifice is supposed to be the largest parochial chapel in the kingdom.
St. Nicholas Chapel
“It measures (says Mr. Edwards) 194 feet in length from East to West, within the walls, and about 74 feet in breadth; having no transept or distinct choir. The interior consists of a lofty nave, with two lateral ailes. The latter are divided from the former by eleven arches on the north side, and ten on the south:—the space of one arch at the S.W. angle being occupied by the base of the tower. The place of another arch, at the east end, is taken up by a vestry on the south side, and a similar apartment, over the vault of Sir Benjamin Keene, towards the north, leaving a kind of recess between, of the whole width of the nave, for the communion table. The distinguishing characters of this structure, as seen within, are lightness, simplicity, and perfect uniformity of style; thetoweralone being of an earlier date than the rest of the fabric. The pillars are slender, having the horizontal section of the shaft nearly in the form of a truncated lozenge, relieved by shallow flutings, and raised about four feet from the ground upon corresponding bases. They have no capitals, but small brackets which supportthe inner ribs of the Arches. Opposite the arches, in the side ailes, are an equal number of windows: between the windows are niches and canopies. The east and west windows are very large, with a pleasing mixture of curved and rectilinear tracery, and embattled ornaments upon the transoms. The former is divided into nine days, or lights, by eight vertical mullions, and the latter has eleven-days, or vertical compartments of glass. More ornament has been bestowed upon thedoorsthan on any other part of the building. The western door-way in particular, is divided by a mullion which supports an elegant niche, and is adorned with other sculpture in stone. The small south door-way is in the same style, as is also the larger door-way towards the north. The front of theSouth Porchis still more elaborate, being covered with a variety of minute decorations. The roof of it is handsomely groined with stone. At the intersection of the ribs are some heads and figures in bold relief, but much obscured with whitening: in the centre is a figure of the Almighty Father with a globe in one hand, and the other lifted up as in the act of blessing those who approach his temple.[1095]In the circle surrounding this compartment appear to be angels in the act of adoration; and at a little distance towards the windows, are two crowned headsof a male and female, which might be intended for Edward III and his queen Philippa. The inner roof of the chapel is of oak, in a plain and simple style, yet with a sufficiency of ornament to harmonize with the rest of the building. The beams and cornices and relieved with carvings of the strawberry leaf, which was so great a favourite with our ancestors; and overall the upper windows there were originally figures of angels with outspread wings, represented as playing on various musical instruments.”
“It measures (says Mr. Edwards) 194 feet in length from East to West, within the walls, and about 74 feet in breadth; having no transept or distinct choir. The interior consists of a lofty nave, with two lateral ailes. The latter are divided from the former by eleven arches on the north side, and ten on the south:—the space of one arch at the S.W. angle being occupied by the base of the tower. The place of another arch, at the east end, is taken up by a vestry on the south side, and a similar apartment, over the vault of Sir Benjamin Keene, towards the north, leaving a kind of recess between, of the whole width of the nave, for the communion table. The distinguishing characters of this structure, as seen within, are lightness, simplicity, and perfect uniformity of style; thetoweralone being of an earlier date than the rest of the fabric. The pillars are slender, having the horizontal section of the shaft nearly in the form of a truncated lozenge, relieved by shallow flutings, and raised about four feet from the ground upon corresponding bases. They have no capitals, but small brackets which supportthe inner ribs of the Arches. Opposite the arches, in the side ailes, are an equal number of windows: between the windows are niches and canopies. The east and west windows are very large, with a pleasing mixture of curved and rectilinear tracery, and embattled ornaments upon the transoms. The former is divided into nine days, or lights, by eight vertical mullions, and the latter has eleven-days, or vertical compartments of glass. More ornament has been bestowed upon thedoorsthan on any other part of the building. The western door-way in particular, is divided by a mullion which supports an elegant niche, and is adorned with other sculpture in stone. The small south door-way is in the same style, as is also the larger door-way towards the north. The front of theSouth Porchis still more elaborate, being covered with a variety of minute decorations. The roof of it is handsomely groined with stone. At the intersection of the ribs are some heads and figures in bold relief, but much obscured with whitening: in the centre is a figure of the Almighty Father with a globe in one hand, and the other lifted up as in the act of blessing those who approach his temple.[1095]In the circle surrounding this compartment appear to be angels in the act of adoration; and at a little distance towards the windows, are two crowned headsof a male and female, which might be intended for Edward III and his queen Philippa. The inner roof of the chapel is of oak, in a plain and simple style, yet with a sufficiency of ornament to harmonize with the rest of the building. The beams and cornices and relieved with carvings of the strawberry leaf, which was so great a favourite with our ancestors; and overall the upper windows there were originally figures of angels with outspread wings, represented as playing on various musical instruments.”
The original chapel, built by bishop Turbus, or de Turbe, about the time of king Stephen, (the middle or latter part of the 12th century,) having proved too small for the accommodation of the inhabitants, it is understood to have been taken down and rebuilt upon its present scale, in the latter part of Edward the 3rd’s reign, and of the 14th century: “For the pope’s bull to that effect is stated by Parkin (p. 595) to have been granted to the mayoralty of Jeffrey Tall, or Talbooth, who served that office in 1371 and 1379. And it is recorded that in the latter year, pope Urban VI sent his bull hither, which was received with great veneration, to authorise and allow the baptizing of infants and others in this chapel.” This is supported by the authority of Parkin and Mackerell, and corroborated by the gravestone and history of William de Bittering. Moreover “the figures of a lion and an eagle upon the summit of the South porch, are thought to be the armorial supporters of Edward III: and there was very lately in the centre of the west window, a figure greatly resembling the usual portraits of that monarch, with three crowns upon his sceptre.The ornaments which surmount the two canopied niches in the buttresses on each side of the western door, also appear very like the crest of the same king, as it is represented in his first gold coin, the quarter florin.”—[see Folkes’ Tables p. 121.]—Repeated efforts were made to render both the original chapel and the present one independent of the mother church; but those attempts were always opposed and frustrated by the bishop. But it really seemed sometimes to be considered as independent by the inhabitants; and theparish of St. Nicholasoccurs in old records as distinct from that of St. Margaret: and in the reign of Philip and Mary the extent of each parish, and the limits or boundary that divided them appear to have been accurately marked out. Afterwards, however, the managers of St. Nicholas’ parish were found to encroach on their neighbours of St. Margaret; which produced a dispute between them that occasioned the interference of the Hall to put a stop to it, by declaring afresh the proper bounds of each parish. This happened in 1585, as appears from a passage in an old record, now in the hands of this writer, mostly extracted, as he thinks, from the Hall-Books of those times.[1097]About fourteen years after, as we learn from the same document thecorporation’s title to St. Nicholas’church yardwas seriously disputed, but it is not said by whom.[1098]The last effort to establish the independency of this church and parish was in 1609, but it was then crushed by the consistory court at Norwich, and set for ever at rest. At present the two ministers serve this church and that of St. Margaret alternately; and it would be no very easy matter, perhaps, to find any two churches that are better served. At the general dissolution of the monasteries, the impropriation of these churches was purchased by the corporation; but it seems that the provision they made for the ministers was more ample formerly than it has been latterly.
3.All-hallows, otherwiseAll-saints, orSouth Lynn Church.Mackerell, from its nearness to the site of their convent, infers that “that this church did formerly belong to theCarmelitesor White Friars”—he might as well have inferred that St. James’s formerly belonged to the Grey Friars, and St. Nicholas’s to the Augustinians, as they stand equally near to the sites of their convents. He also informs us that it has been used for a parish church, ever since the abolition of the Carmelite convent; as if South Lynn, (orSuthsokenas it was anciently called) had been without a parish church till the reign of Henry the 8th; than which there cannot be a more groundless supposition. Of itsformer state, in other respects, his account is more correct: “Thisfabrick (says he,) though it cannot be said to be large, yet it is a neat, regular, and solid structure, built in the form of a cross, within a fair cemetery, or church-yard, well walled and fenced in. The steeple is square and flat, with proper battlements round it. In the middle is a streight pinnacle, upon which is placed a weather-cock, and has five tuneable bells. Here are two convenient porticos, one on the south side, and the other at the west end. The dimensions of the whole here follow—From east to west within, 139 feet; from north to south, 48 feet; length of the cross isle, 83 feet; height of the steeple, 83 feet; height of the spire, 31 feet. The body consists of three alleys, and in a cross isle besides the quire are very many grave-stones formonks, and others, [of the different orders of friars] who came thither about the reign of Henry III, and here settled, building themselves convents in different parts of the town” [as divers protestant sects have also done in more recent times.]—Of this Edifice, in its more modern stateParkinsays; “This church is dedicated toAll Saints: it is a regular pile built in form of a cross, with 3 isles and a chancel, covered with lead; the whole being about 140 feet long; breadth 48 feet; cross isle 83 feet long. At the west end was a strong tower—and 5 tuneable bells. The tower fell down in 1763, and part of the end of the church, which is now repaired with a strong brick wall; on the top of which is a kind of cupola of wood, &c. in which hangs one small bell.—At the dissolution this impropriate rectory being in the crown, was assigned to the Lady Mary (afterward queen Mary) and was valued 11l.0s.9d.—[a very small sum compared with itspresent value, or annual product.] In the 20th. of James I. it was possessed by Sir John Jolleys,” [and at present by Sir Martin Browne Folkes bart.] Thevicarageis in the gift of the bishop of Ely; but is a very poor one, and said to be worth very little if any thing more now than it was 150 years ago.
All Saints Church of South Lynn, published April 1810, by W. Whittingham, Lynn
4.Old Lynn, orWest LynnChurch; otherwiseWest Lynn St. Peters. This edifice, as its last name implies, is dedicated toSt. Peter; meaning, as we presume, the apostle so called. It stands on the western bank of the Ouse, nearly opposite to St. Margaret’s. It is not the original church of old Lynn; nor does it stand on the same spot: that stood to the east of it, and within the present bed of the river. It is said to have been destroyed, together with the church-yard, about the 56th. of Henry III, or 1271, by aninundation of the sea; or rather, perhaps, by the vastincrease of fresh waterin this harbour, from the addition of the Grant, the Ouse, and the Nene, about that time, to those other rivers which before had their passage to the sea by this town. The present church, it seems, was erected very soon after, on a piece of ground which the rector, William Pakenham, had procured for that purpose; who, to avoid all disputes, allowed the former patron, the prior of Lewes, the soil or ground, and the right of patronage. To this new church was afterwards added achapeldedicated toour Lady, in which washer image: also a chauntry, endowed with much land and divers tenements; all which was seized by the crown at the dissolution, and granted afterwards to theL’estranges of Hunstanton. This church is a rectory:—it is covered (says Parkin) with lead, and the chancel with reed; and he adds, “it has a square tower with 3 bells.” So much for this consecrated fabric.
5.North Lynnchurch, or, (as we may call it)Lynn St. Edmund’s, from its being dedicated to a royal saint of that name. Of this sacred structure not a vestige now remains. We have been able to discover neither the time when it was built, nor yet when it disappeared. But it was probably built soon after the death, or canonization ofking Edmund, called themartyr, to whom it was dedicated. It seems to have stood many ages; for it was standing in the latter part of the reign of Henry VII; and it probably stood a good while after that; even to the time of the reformation or later. It appears from Parkin’s account, that it was standing at the beginning of the 16th century; for John Byrd, the then rector, and who calls himselfparson ofOLD LYNN, (which, by the bye, seems to imply that the name ofold Lynwas then applied to both parishes,) by his will dated 1505, wills to be buried in the chancel of this church. This proves that it was then standing, and that there was no apprehension entertained of its being in any great danger of falling, or of being swallowed up by the waters. Yet it certainly underwent that catastrophe sometime after though perhaps not very soon: so that both church and church-yard were completely swept away. It is supposed they stood in the present bed of the river, somewhere nearly opposite to the fort, or the block-house. Since that period the North-Lynnrectory has been asine cure. Repeated attempts, if are not mistaken, have been made since (though in vain) to have this benefice bestowed on the corporation, for the better maintenance of the ministers of the town. One of those attempts was made in the reign of Charles I, as is evinced by the following extract from the Hall-books—“1647,Dec.17.Ordered a Letter to Mr. Alderman Toll and Mr. Recorder,to acquaint them with the death of Mr. Scott,minister of North-Lyn,and to get that living by some means to be bestowed on this town toward the maintenance of the ministers thereof.”—The present incumbent, being also one of the ministers of the town, the object then had in view may be said to be in some measure secured during his life-time. But it is not certain, or even very likely, that it will be secured any further.
Brief account of the different dissenting chapels in this town.
Of all our present sects theJewsand theCatholicsseem to claim the precedence in point of antiquity. The former composed a part of the population of Lynn at a pretty remote period; and the treatment they here experienced ought to be spoken of only in terms of the utmost reprobation. They were pillaged and massacred in the most brutal manner, and had their very habitationsburnt and destroyed, as has been related in a former part of this work.[1103]There are still some Jewish families resident here; and we believe they have always had a synagogue in the town. It was for many years in Tower Street; but that has been lately pulled down, being part of the premises which theMethodistshave purchased for the purpose of erecting there their intended magnificent and capacious temple. We have not learnt that the Jews have yet been able to procure another synagogue; but we may suppose that they will not be long without it. At present they probably meet in some private apartment fitted up for the purpose, till a more suitable place can be obtained.
As to theCatholics, they were formerly our predominant sect, and constituted the established church of England and of Lynn, for near a thousand years. They have long been reduced here to a small society, and are not at present likely to become more numerous or considerable. They have generally a priest stationed among them. Their present chapel is a small room in Ferry Street, and those who attend are, of course, but few in number. The present minister is a French emigrant, of fair character, and very well respected in this town, to whom many of our townsmen are indebted for the proficiency they have made in the knowledge of the French language. The Roman Catholic religion being no longer the religion of the state, it has ceased to be oppressive or formidable to our other religious communities; andit is supposed to have lost (at least in these kingdoms) much of that intolerant and sanguinary character which distinguished its professors in former times. By many the Catholics in these realms, and especially in Ireland, are thought an oppressed people; and it is much to be wished that every just reason for such an opinion might entirely be done away.
3. That respectable body of protestant Dissenters, who have assumed the name ofFriends, and are by others calledQuakers, have long had a place of worship in this town, and formed a reputable part of its population. It seems that some of our townsmen have been of that denomination ever since the year 1655.George Foxhimself visited this town in the course of that year, and preached here with considerable effect. A Person was sent about the town to apprize the inhabitants of his arrival, and invite them to give him a hearing, especially the more sober and pious part of them, together with the officers of the garrison. A large congregation appears to have assembled, many of whom were much affected by the sermon: consequently, as we learn from Fox’s Journal, a fine meeting or congregation was formed here, “who had come from the hireling teachers to sit under the teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ.” From that time to this it is supposed that there has always existed here a society of Friends or Quakers. Fox, however, was not the first of that Denomination who visited Lynn. It was visited, asSewelinforms us, byThomas Briggstwo years before, who warned the people to repent, but appears not to have been much listened to,and even to have met a very unchristian reception—“a great mastiff (says Sewel,) was set upon him; but the dog coming near, fawned upon him, and would do him no harm:” so that the poor brute behaved to him much better than those of his own species. But it has often so happened to those who endeavoured to reform the world and turn mankind from the errors of their ways. Fox visited Lynn again in 1662, when some of his Friends were confined here in prison. We find that he preached here then with acceptance; which was, probably, what excited the magistrates to have him apprehended and imprisoned; but before they could effect their cruel purpose, he escaped out of their jurisdiction. Where those of his persuasion held their meetings here in those troublesome times does not appear, but they afterwards met in the Cross Yard near Lady Bridge, which continued to be their place of worship till the erection of their present place in New Conduit Street. This is a neat, but small place; though quite large enough for their congregation, which is supposed to be now much smaller than it has been in former times, as is also the case in most parts of the kingdom—the modern Quakers having but a small portion of that zeal in disseminating their principles which was manifested by their early ancestors. This is to be regretted, as some of those principles are certainly very excellent, and deserve every possible exertion to disseminate them throughout the world. Of the particular tenets of the Quakers a full account may be found inBarclay’s Apology, and also inClarkson’s Portraiture of Quakerism. They haveno preaching among them, here except when a stranger comes, as they have no public friend or minister among themselves. They have three burying places in this town, which may indicate that they have had here three different meeting houses.
4.PresbyterianChapel. Though the Presbyterians seem to be of somewhat longer standing in this town than the Quakers, yet it does not appear that they had here a separate place of worship as early as they. They appeared here as a distinct sect soon after the Restoration, in consequence of the ejection ofMr. Hornefrom the vicarage of Lynn Allhallows, and from the established priesthood. His acknowledged piety, learning, and respectability of character, were likely to gain him adherents as an ejected minister. The number of those who adhered to him on that trying occasion we have not been able to learn; but it is certain that they soon formed themselves into a separate society, and report has said, that they met for some time at a place fitted up for the purpose in a certain yard or alley in Black-goose Street. They afterwards removed to Spinner Lane, behind the house now inhabited by Mr.Dennis, where they fitted up and converted into a decent chapel, a round house, originally erected for a Glass-house. Here the congregation assembled during the whole ministration of thetwo Rastricks, and part of that ofMr. Mayhew. After he had been here some time, the old chapel falling into decay was given up, and the congregation then removed to a new and neat chapel which they had erected in Broad Street, whichwas a more eligible situation. Mr. Mayhew about the 70th year of his age resigned the ministry, and was succeeded byMr. Warner, who was the minister of this chapel from 1777 to 1801, when he resigned his charge and removed toHapton. Before his removal the congregation had been for sometime declining, not for want of abilities in him, but rather for want of a larger portion of sectarianism and proselytism. Several of the principal members were removed by death, some before his departure, and others soon after. Of the remainder, those of them who might be expected to retain some attachment to the cause, fearing the expense which might attend any exertion on their part to revive and support it, now dastardly quitted their post, and ingloriously sneaked back into the bosom of the established church, and have ever since, as might be expected, constituted some of its most useless members. In consequence of that defection and desertion, the Calvinian Methodists, under the name of Independents, thrust themselves in, and got possession of the chapel, to which they could apparently have no more right than the other Methodists, or even the Quakers. Indeed it would seem that they had less right to it than those, as the Lynn Presbyterians had always beenArminiansfrom the beginning. It was always said by Mr. Warner, that the place, in the event of the extinction of the Presbyterian interest here, according to the chapel deeds, would become the property of the Presbyterian board, in London. As to the Trustees, if they knew their business, they could not suppose that they had any right transfer to another and hostile denominationthe possession of the property with which they were entrusted. This we notice as what we conceive to be due to historical truth, and to the memory of the Presbyterian congregation, which existed so usefully and reputably in this town near 150 years, and whose ministers were in general among the chief ornaments of the place for learning and respectability of deportment.—The Presbyterian chapel was about 40 feet by 25, with a gallery fronting the pulpit. It has been since lengthened to about 58 feet, with the addition of very narrow side galleries. It is but ill planned, and supposed not capable of containing so many people as either the Methodist or Baptist chapels.
5.BaptistChapel. This also is situated inBroad Street, and not far from that of the Presbyterians. It has been lately rebuilt, and is a neat handsome place, about 46 feet by 26, with deep galleries in the front and at both ends. The dissenters of this denomination are not of so long standing at Lynn as those treated of under the two last articles. They were gathered and formed into a society here in the reign of James II, by the ministry of the worthy and memorableThomas Grantham, who was indefatigable in his endeavours to enlighten and reform his countrymen, and establish them in what he deemed to be scriptural christianity. Till a proper place of worship could be procured, it is understood that he was allowed to preach in the Townhall; and he appears to have been treated here with much respect, owing perhaps to his respectable connections, the Granthams being then one of the firstfamilies in Lincolnshire. He was what is called ageneralBaptist, and therefore not what was then, or would be now, deemed orthodox. He never settled here, but went mostly about, as an apostle or reformer, to promote what he conceived to be the pure religion of the New Testament. He succeeded in gathering and establishing many congregations in different parts of the country, but chiefly in Lincolnshire and Norfolk. The latter part of his time he resided mostly at Norwich, where he gathered a congregation, in spite of the intolerance and bitter enmity to dissenters, which continued to rage there, even after the revolution: and there he died at the beginning of 1692, at the age of 58.[1109]About that time or a few months earlier, the congregation at Lynn became the objects of persecution from the ruling powers here. They were proceeded against upon theconventicle act, although both their place of worship and their minister had been regularly licenced. An account of this dark and disgraceful business has been given before at page861. How long the congregation was enabled to withstand this persecution we have not been able to ascertain. Perhaps it was soon after borne down and crushed. We are sure that it had become extinct long before the denomination was again revived here about the commencement of the present reign by the ministry of Mr.Chesterton. The society then formed wascalvinistic, and so more orthodox than the former, and so it still continues. It was dissolved about the time of Mr. Chesterton’s death, but again revived and reorganized about the year 1777; since which time it has been kept up, though not always without some difficulty. Their present minister is a person of good report, and it is hoped he will be long comfortable and very useful in his situation.
6.MethodistChapel. This place, situated in theNorth Clough Lane, is very well contrived and neatly fitted up. It is about 42 feet by 30, with very deep galleries in front and at both ends. It is so constructed as to be capable of accommodating, perhaps, a greaternumber of hearers than any of our other chapels; yet such has been the late increase of Methodism here, that it is now become too small for the audience; and therefore for their better accommodation, a new and very capacious, as well as elegant and splendid place is now about to be erected inTower Street, which is expected to be completed by next Michaelmas. The expense of this intended erection is estimated at 4000l.or more. As to the old place, it is likely to be soon desecrated and converted to a granary or warehouse, or place for some such secular and unhallowed use: and though it would be a very commodious place of worship for any other description of christians, yet it is understood that it would not be obtainable for such a purpose, from, as it would seem, the low and tradesman-like consideration, that it would not be quite safe to have it occupied in the same line, lest it should prove detrimental to the trade of the new shop. The present writer remembers the Methodists a persecuted sect, classed among the heretics of the day, and much spoken against every where. They were then meek and passive, and not apt to brand those of other denominations with bad names, or fix upon them the odium of heresy. The case is greatly altered since: they were then weak, but are now powerful; they were then few, now they are numerous, and their numbers daily and rapidly increasing. They consequently assume a high tone, and join in the cry ofheresyas loudly as any of our persecuting sects—especially againstanti-trinitarians, orunitarians, anduniversalists: and yet it is certain that the public mind,or national opinion is no more inimical to persons of those denominations at present, than it was to the Methodists fifty years ago. Let the Methodists think of this, and learn a becoming measure of moderation and good neighbourhood.—What has happened to themselves may also happen, in a course of time, to those whom they now so very bitterly and violently decry, and so unmercifully stigmatize and anathematize.
7.SalemChapel. This is a new place of worship, erected the latter pact of last year, (1811,) in consequence of the dismission ofMr. Finchfrom the pastoral office in the Baptist congregation, on account of some difference of opinion aboutsatanic influence, and some other speculative and abstruse points. The place is about 50 feet by 30; and so larger than any of the other chapels here: and when galleries are erected, (a measure already in contemplation,) it will be capable of containing a larger audience than any of them. It is at present well attended, and supposed likely to continue so.—Mr. Finch’s dismission from his late situation in the Baptist chapel,[1112]and especially the manner in which it was transacted, being disapproved by many of the hearers, who were much attached to his ministry, measures were soon adopted to retain him still in the town, by erecting for him a new chapel, where things should be conducted on a more liberal plan, and in the true spirit of protestantism, to the exclusion of all human creeds and formulas, and the admission of the scriptureas the only religious directory, or sole rule of faith and practice. In a society so formed, the essence of christianity, it washoped, would be exhibited as consisting in the imitation of Jesus of Nazareth, a submission to his authority, and reliance on him, arising from the firm persuasion or belief of his Messiahship, or that he is indeed the Christ, the Son of God—of which the New Testament affords such clear and ample evidence. Whether or not that hope will be realized, must be left for time to determine. The persons chiefly concerned in this new undertaking are not anxious to identify themselves with any one of our religious parties or denominations, though they wish to maintain peace and good neighbourhood with them all. If they ever connect or identify themselves with any one party, it will probably be a liberal, though small body of those calledgeneral Baptists,[1113]one of whose ministers, the worthy and respectable author of theSketch of the Denominations of the Christian World, was unanimously invited to assist at the opening of this new chapel, when his services gave entire and abundant satisfaction. The first sermon he preached here, being also the first that was delivered in this new place, has been since published, with anAppendix, containing an account of a late very curious correspondence between him andMr. Berington, a learnedCatholic priest, which it is supposed must renderthis publication very interesting. Except the stated minister,Mr. Evansis the only one that has yet preached in this new chapel; but it is understood that the occasional service of any worthy minister, of whatever denomination, whether reputed orthodox or otherwise, who passing this way may be disposed to address this congregation, would not be here rejected. It may therefore be expected that ministers of different views on many religious subjects will be found sometimes officiating in this new pulpit; which seems very well to accord with the avowed principles of these people, who profess a readiness to hear what any serious and pious religionist may have to say, and then to judge for themselves of its reasonableness and accordance with the scriptures. It is hoped they will carefully persevere in this laudable course, trying all things, and holding fast that which is good, however unfashionable such a mode of proceeding may appear to have now become in the religious world.
Having now finished the account of places of worship, it may not be improper to add here a few supplementary observations before we close this section. First then it may be remarked, that religion at Lynn exhibits the appearance of considerable diversity; which diversity is allowed by the higher powers, for which they are certainly not to be censured, as religious liberty is one of the first and most undoubted rights of man. Accordingly there are here Jews and Christians, Catholics and Protestants, Churchmen and Dissenters, and the latter of various orders and descriptions—all at presentquite unannoyed and undisturbed,except what may be occasioned by the bigotry and malevolence which some of them too often manifest towards others of a different way of thinking. This is disgraceful enough to our sectarian bigots, and shews how little they have yet learnt of Christ, and how ignorant they still are of the spirit of his religion, notwithstanding their loud pretensions to superior knowledge.
Each of the great bodies or sects, with which most of our religious communities here are connected, has its particular constitution, which is its law of confederation and great bond of union, and may be said to be no less definable than our boasted and admired English Constitution. All these sectarian constitutions answer pretty well the end of their formation; but do not all discover equal legislative capacity, or profoundness of judgment in the different framers of them. Some of them are such as can reflect but little credit on the skill or judgment of their constructors, while others discover such profound sagacity, deep penetration, and accurate knowledge of mankind as would not have disgraced a Solon or a Lycurgus. Of this latter sort is the constitution of those respectable sectaries calledFriendsorQuakers, as appears fromBarclay’s Apology, andClarkson’s Portraiture. Of this sort too isthe constitution of the Arminian or Wesleyan Methodists, of which the fairest, and fullest, and best account this writer has seen, or knows of, is inNightingale’s Portraiture of Methodism; which is a moderate size octavo volume, and well worth the perusal of all who wish tobecome more intimately acquainted with the history and character of this rapidly increasing sect, which is said to be likely soon to swallow up all the rest. However that may happen, it seems very certain that Methodism, from the nature of its constitution and organization, is calculated for a wide and rapid increase, far beyond any otter existing sect now within the British dominions. What may render this more credible to the reader is, that there are now about 30 preachers of this denomination, (including those calledlocal) belonging to this town and circuit, all in very constant employ here, or in the surrounding villages; which seems a pretty fair specimen of their present state throughout the realm. This is not mentioned to disparage their exertions. If they think their cause of superlative importance to mankind, let them persevere, while they use no other, or worse means to insure success, than pious persuasion and fair argument. If they succeed and become the most numerous body of religionists in the country, let them by all means be theestablished church of England. Where would be the harm of that? We know of none: at least, if they were to be constrained at the same time to renounce and quit forever every remnant of a bigoted or intolerant spirit towards their dissenting neighbours.[1116]
Hints relating to the state of Deism,Scepticism,Free-Masonry,&c. in this town.
Considering the easy faith, or aversion to incredulity, which our townsmen, in common with most of their dear countrymen, have generally shewn, on almost all subjects and occasions, it may seem rather odd that there should be found here any religious unbelievers; and yet such is really the case. A very large portion of the community, comprehending not a few persons of reading and some reflection, appear to be at this time, either unconvinced, or decided disbelievers of the divine authority and truth of christianity. Nor is this perhaps much to be wondered at, when the case is duly considered. To many, no doubt, this unbelief, or infidelity, proves veryconvenientand desirable, as it frees them from almost every moral restraint, and leaves them much at liberty to follow and gratify their vicious and lawless inclinations. Upon this ground we may pretty safely account for the scepticism and unbelief ofmostof our avowed infidels. These too, seem to be the very worst of them, as they are more inexcusable than that other sort, who viewing christianity through the medium of itscorruptions, hastily reject it altogether, as utterly unworthy of their credit or acceptance. But it may be said, “they are very wrong, in determining so hastily, without looking into the New Testament, and examining it as it is delivered there.” Very true. But who among our numerous christian sects and parties, will dare, for shame, to reproach them on that account, while they themselves, with all their professed veneration forthat book, make no scruple to deviate from it, whenever their interest or policy, or the established formulas, creeds, or customs of their respective parties require them so to do? One takes upthe Athanasian Creed, and says, “this is christianity; and except a man believe it he cannot be saved, but must, without doubt, perish everlastingly.” Can it be any wonder that an honest and rational enquirer should startle, and say, “if this be christianity, I cannot believe its divine authority, or that it came from God, for I am very sure that such a self-contradictory farrago can never have proceeded from him.”—Other articles in great abundance, all equally absurd and incredible, and very prominent in the creeds and observances of the religions world, might be here added, and which professing christians and christian ministers are daily representing and recommending, as unquestionable parts of christianity, and most worthy of our belief and reception. In viewing christianity through the mists and fogs of its numerous and enormous corruptions, it is certainly not very wonderful that many who are not disposed to bestow much time upon religious enquires should be discouraged, so as to stand aloof, and deem the divine authority of it incredible—and if they are very blameable for so doing, still no small portion of the blame must be imputable to those who have so greatly tarnished the beauties of christianity, and obscured its truth, by presumptuously introducing, supporting, and advocating those corruptions.
After all, the Deists are not to be deemed the worst enemies of christianity. Its most dangerous foes are tobe found among its pretended friends and admirers, who would fain persuade us that our public and national transactions are all, forsooth, very christianlike and evangelical: and so by divesting christianity of its morality, and reducing it to a mere state engine, they do all they can to render it incredible and contemptible in the eyes of all reflecting and honest men.—Thus the American War, with all its enormities—the African Slave trade, West Indian system, Caribbean war of extermination, with all their horrors—the late war, with all its follies—Pitt’s reign of terror, with all its espionage and profligacy—our days of thanksgiving, fasting, and humiliation, with all their hypocrisy and solemn mockery—the Copenhagen expedition—the whole Irish system, and every public deviation from wisdom and moral rectitude, have been represented by these men as very justifiable, and thoroughly consistent with the dictates of christianity. These people consist of courtiers and statesmen, placemen and pensioners, laity and clergy, (even most of our prelates and dignitaries,) and in short, the whole of that immense multitude who live upon the public loaves and fishes, or expect to come in for a share of them. That they should profess the religion of the state, and be very clamorous too in its defence, is natural enough—as well as that they should be very ready to defend and justify all our public or state measures; but it is not quite so clear that they are more friendly or favourable to christianity, properly so called, than our professed deists: on the contrary, by identifying their monstrous corruptions with christianity, they maybe said to be its worst enemies; in comparison with whom, our professed or avowed deists are feeble and harmless adversaries. The deists of this town are said to be very numerous, and would, if formed into a society, constitute, perhaps, the largest congregation in the place: but they are not of a gregarious or congregating character;[1120a]and they know in general so little of the New Testament, or uncorrupted christianity, that their objections seldom affect any part of it—their assault being chiefly directed against its outworks, or rather its corruptions: and for every attempt to expose and explore them they deserve every honest man’s thanks.
2.Free Masons. The origin of this numerous sect or fraternity, as well as that of theGypsies, is involved in great and impenetrable obscurity. It is in vain to look even to the most knowing of its own members for any information upon that subject, that may in the least be depended upon. Almost every thing they urge or allege about it is evidently and ridiculously false and fabulous. They tell us that the art and mystery of Masonry was first introduced at the building of theTower of Babel, and from thence handed down byEuclid, who communicated it toHiram,[1120b]the Master Masonconcerned in the building ofSolomon’s Temple; where was an excellent and curious Mason that was chief under the grand MasterHiramwhose name wasMannon Grecus; who taught the art of Masonry toCarolus Marcel, in France, who was afterwards elected king of France; and from thence was brought to England in the reign of kingAthelston, who ordered an assembly to be held once every year at York, which was the first introduction of it to England.[1121]At other times they say, that masons first appeared in England A.D. 43, when they built the monastery ofGlastonbury. They might as well have introduced them at the building ofStonehenge, or at the commencement ofDruidism, and erection of thedruidical altars. But it probably slipt their memory. Others, indeed, though they seem not to have belonged to the craft, have actually supposed them to have sprung from thedruids, who like them had a method of making themselves known to one another by certainsecret signs; as is also said to have been the case with theGnosticsand some other ancient heretical sects. Others, however, carry the origin of the order still farther back, even beyond the Flood, and nameTubal-cainas one of the grandmasters of that period; in proof of which they refer to a certain document, which they call, anoriginal Record.—Such wild and extravagant pretentions exhibitFree-Masonry in a very queer and unfavourable light: and they ought never to have been countenanced by any of the members who had any regard for their own characters.