Chapter 18

Wesley Wait

To Captain Thomas S. Marvel is due the success of the immense shipyard of the T. S. Marvel Shipbuilding Company. Soon after the failure of Ward, Stanton & Co., Captain Marvel, who had been their superintendent, began business on his own account. The shipyard has been enlarged from time to time, and building after building erected for their business. Over 200 men are employed in the building and repairing of iron and wooden steamboats and other water craft. Among their notable products are the steamersHomer Ramsdell, Hendrick Hudson,numerous ferryboats, and fire-boats for the New York Fire Department.

The Higginson Manufacturing Company have a very extensive plant for the production of plaster, gypsum, etc., with steamers and barges to transport it to New York and other points. The business was begun by William R. Brown in 1868. Mr. Henry C. Higginson has been proprietor of the plant for many years.

The Newburgh Bleachery is owned and managed by Joseph Chadwick & Sons. It is one of the largest and best equipped manufactories of its kind. The Chadwicks in 1871 purchased the present site, and combined with it a factory which they owned in Rutherford, N. J., concentrating their whole business in the Newburgh establishment. They employ about 300 hands in bleaching and finishing various kinds of cotton goods.

The Fabrikoid Company's industry was moved to Newburgh in 1902. The plant covers about fifteen acres, and consists of twenty-eight buildings. The product is chiefly an imitation leather and the manufactory has a capacity of over 6,000 yards a day. Mr. John Aspinwall is president, and Mr. George H. May, secretary and treasurer.

Coldwell Lawn Mower Company, manufacturers of hand, horse and motor lawn mowers, is the largest concern in the world devoted exclusively to the production of these machines. The firm is composed of William H. Coldwell, president and general manager; E. C. Ross, treasurer; H. T. Coldwell, assistant treasurer, and A. W. Mapes, secretary. Mr. Thomas Coldwell, the parent of this industry, organized the company in 1891, and the plant was built on the most modern principles. Their annual output, shipped to all parts of the globe, exceeds one hundred thousand mowers, which is over one-fifth of the entire production in the country.

H. Powell Ramsdell, of Newburgh, is the proprietor of the Arlington Paper Mill at Salisbury's Mills, eight miles southwest of the city on Murderer's Creek and the Newburgh branch of the Erie. The mill is the principal industrial element of the hamlet. It is picturesquely situated on the edge of a rocky gorge. The oldest part of the mill was built about 1840, by Isaac K. Oakley. It forms but a small part of the present plant, the main building of which is 480 feet long and from one to three stories high, with capacity for the employment of 150 hands, and the production of over 24,000 pounds of paper daily. It is a progressive institution and up to date in its machinery and other equipment. There are several detached buildings in addition to a connected series of brick and stone buildings, and twenty or more cottages for the families of the employees. The Arlington Mill manufactures the best grades of book paper and French folios, white and colored. These go to the great publishing houses of New York and other American cities, and some of them to England and even to Australia.

EXTENSIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS.

Washington Heights, formerly the homestead of Captain Henry Robinson—a tract of nearly 100 acres in the southern part of the city—was made a valuable addition to the resident portion of the city by its purchase from the heirs, division into streets and lots and their improvements started twenty years ago. The part of the plateau east of Lander street, about forty acres, was purchased by Henry T. McConn, and he arranged with Colonel Charles H. Weygant for its development. The macadam streets are broad and straight, the houses must set twelve feet back from the sidewalk, which is lined with shade trees. A little later, in October, 1887, William D. and Joseph M. Dickey purchased the part of the Robinson farm west of Lander street, forty-two acres, and there inaugurated similar improvements. Many lots have been sold and houses erected on both plots.

The Newburgh Street Railway Company obtained a franchise early in 1886 to build a surface road from a point near the western end of the city to the Union depot, and then another to extend the line from the corner of Water and Third streets along Water street to near the northerly line of the city. On December 23d, of the same year, the road was formally opened between West Newburgh and the Union depot. Later the road was extended to Orange Lake, and the name was changed to the Orange County Traction Company. In 1906 it was purchased by Ex-Governor Odell, and desirable improvements in equipment were made.

E. C. Barnes

On recommendation of Mayor Odell, in his annual message of 1887, the people voted $30,000 for the purchase of additional lands to the former Smith estate, owned by the city, to be improved and laid out into the beautiful and sightly Downing Park, in honor of Andrew J. Downing.

Of buildings for public use the Newburgh Academy of Music is conspicuous. It was projected in 1886 by J. P. Andrews and E. S. Turner, and the construction was commenced in the spring of 1887. It has a frontage on Broadway of 85 feet and a depth of 140 feet. The auditorium is 80 feet long by 45 feet deep, 40 feet high, and will seat 1,300 people. The stage is 80 by 35 feet, and there are 12 dressing rooms, 2 balconies and 4 boxes. In all its appointments it is thoroughly modern.

Of school buildings two deserve particular notice. The Free Academy was erected in 1885-1886, and cost $67,000. The material is brick with stone trimmings. It is 112 by 68 feet, and three stories high, with basement. It has an assembly room 88 by 64 feet, which will seat 700 persons, and 12 class rooms each 31 by 23 feet. There are 21 rooms in all. Without and within it is a good specimen of school architecture. Another is the Grammar School building, erected in 1891 at a cost of $30,000. This is 74 by 76 feet, with eight class rooms 28 by 23 feet each, and each containing desks for 40 pupils. The assembly room is in the third story.

Another noteworthy building is that of the Y. M. C. A., constructed in 1882-1883, and costing $24,000. It is 31 by 77 feet, three stories high, and has a seating capacity in its assembly room for 300 persons.

In 1896-1897 a handsome Government building was erected. Congress having appropriated $100,000 for this purpose, and this has since been the home of the post-office, the business of which has already almost outgrown it.

The water with which Newburgh is supplied is drawn from Washington Lake, three and a third miles from the Hudson and 276 feet above it. The lake is fed by internal springs and an artificial channel with Silver stream. Chemical analysis has shown that this water is so pure that it needs no filtering, and it is agreeably palatable, without any mineral flavors. It has been healthy Newburgh's drinking water for more than fifty years. The lake's area is about 140 acres, and it has a storage capacity of 300,000,000 gallons. Newburgh is now so thoroughly piped that the water is universally accessible to its citizens, and is an invaluable protection against fire as well as promoter of cleanliness, health and happiness.

PROTECTION AND EDUCATION.

Newburgh has been remarkably free from crime, which is in part due to the character of its citizens and in part to its uniformly excellent police force, which now consists of one marshal, two sergeants, two roundsmen and fifteen patrolmen.

The Volunteer Fire Department of Newburgh is one of the oldest in the State, and also one of the most efficient. Therefore there have been few very damaging fires, and the insurance rates are low. From its organization, over a hundred years ago, until now, it has had on its records of membership some of the leading business and professional men in the community, and they have promptly responded to the call for service when their service was required.

The department was started, by authority of an act of Legislature, in the spring of 1797. This was three years before the village was incorporated, and the five trustees which the act required to be elected annually for controlling managers were the first form of government in the village. Their power was transferred to the village trustees by the incorporating act. There were at first a suction engine and a bucket brigade to keep it supplied with water. In 1805 a company of "bagmen" was formed, whose duty it was to take charge of goods. The first engine house was erected about the same time, and a record of the two engine companies of 1806 furnishes the following names:

No. 1—William I. Smith, Enoch E. Tilton, Walter Burling, Henry Tudor, Ward M. Gazlay, Gilbert N. Clement, Minard Harris, John Carskaden, Caleb Sutton, George E. Hulse, John Coleman, John Hoagland, William Adee, Andrew Preston, Nicholas Wright, John Forsyth, Walter Case.

No. 2—John Harris, Jonathan Fisk, John Anderson, Jr., Leonard Carpenter, Selah Reeve, James Hamilton, Samuel I. Gregory, William Gardiner, Nathaniel Burling, Solomon Sleight, Jonathan Carter, Hiram Weller, Samuel Wright, Hugh Spier, Thomas Powell, Cornelius De Witt, Joseph Hoffman. Cadwallader Roe, Daniel Niven, Jr., Benoni H. Howell, Sylvanus Jessup, Joseph Reeve, John Richardson.

John Dales

The interesting history of the department from its interesting beginnings cannot be followed here. Coming down to the present time its heads consist of a chief engineer and two assistant engineers, the foreman and assistant foreman of the various companies, and the trustees of the Fire Department fund. The names of the companies are: Highland Steamer Co. No. 3, Washington Steamer Co. No. 4, Brewster Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1, Ringgold Hose Co. No. 1, Columbian Hose Co. No. 2, C. M. Leonard Steamer Co. No. 2, Chapman Steamer Co. No. 1, Lawson Hose Co. No. 5, Washington Heights Chemical Engine Co. No. 3.

The city is divided into five fire districts, and thirty-two alarm boxes connect with the engine houses.

Newburgh is essentially progressive and modern in its educational system, now made free, from the primary to the end of the academic course. Its Board of Education consists of nine members. It has seven public school buildings and one public library building. Other officers besides the board, are its president, vice-president, clerk, who is also superintendent, librarian, counsel and attendance officer. There are also three Glebe trustees and three Glebe auditors. The courses of study are similar to those in other city schools, and the graduate from the Free Academy may be prepared to enter one of the leading colleges, while the Manual Training School is a physical safeguard as well as a means for harmonious muscular development. For reading helps apart from text-books the good library of nearly 35,000 volumes is an opening into general literature.

The reason for the Glebe trustees and auditors referred to dates back to ancient conditions which have been mentioned. The act to amend the charter of the Glebe passed by the Legislature in 1803, directed that $200 should be paid annually to the trustees of the academy, and that the remainder of the money from the Glebe income should be paid to the other schools on the Glebe lands, as the inhabitants should direct. It was applied to the juvenile school which was established in the old Lutheran church in 1803, the last teacher of which was John L. Lyon, who taught from 1843 to 1845, when the school was removed to the academy. In 1849, after the Clinton street school building was erected and became officially known as the Glebe school, it received the revenues of the Glebe above the sum required by law to be paid to the academy. The High school was incorporated in 1829, and opened the next year. The number of pupils registered in this 1851-1852 was 348, and the number in the Glebe school about 120. During the first year of the new order of things, provided for in the act of 1852, the number of pupils was doubled.

Besides the present public schools there are several parish and private schools, the former being under the care of the Roman Catholic Church. Of these St. Mary's Academy, founded in 1883, has become very prominent and useful.

The library, with its 35,000 volumes, is free to the people of Newburgh, and the building includes a teachers' reading room supplied with books adapted to the professional needs of the teachers, and may also be used by citizens and strangers for study and literary work. The library was started in 1852, and is among the oldest of the free circulating libraries. Previous to 1850 there were but four in the State, ten in the New England States, six besides these in the United States, and none in Great Britain, and but one of the libraries then organized has as many books or as large a circulation as the Newburgh library. In September, 1852, the Board of Education resolved that all the school libraries in the village should be consolidated and placed together in the academy room, then ready to receive them, and William N. Reid, first principal of the academy under the new system, was appointed librarian. There were 924 volumes from the high school, 737 from the Glebe and 418 from the academy. In 1862 the books of the Mechanics' Library Association were transferred to the Board of Education, which added 2,801 volumes to the library. Other donations and the purchases have brought the library to its present valuable condition in the number and quality of its books. The fine building which now contains them was completed in 1877.

CHURCHES.

Of Newburgh's churches the oldest is theFirst Presbyterian,whose legal existence began a few months after the close of the Revolutionary War, although its informal existence had started a score of years before, and been kept up in an irregular and feeble way. The formal organization as a Presbyterian society under the laws of the Slate took place July 12, 1884, with these trustees: Adolph Degrove, Daniel Hudson, Thomas Palmer, Joseph Coleman, Isaac Belknap. The first stated supply was Rev. John Close, who served from 1785 to 1796. His successor was Rev. Isaac Lewis, who continued until 1800 and was followed by Rev. John Freeman, and Mr. Freeman by Rev. Eleazer Burnet. Then came the long and very successful pastorate of Rev. John Johnston, which lasted from July 5, 1807, until his death, August 23, 1855. Nearly a thousand members were added to the church roll during his ministry.

Thomas Coldwell

The congregation of theFirst Associate Reformed Churchwas formed in 1798, and the society was legally incorporated February 7, 1803. The first pastor, Rev. Robert Kerr, was installed April 6, 1799. The first trustees were: Derick Amerman, Hugh Walsh, Daniel Niven, Robert Gourley, Robert Boyd, John Brown, Isaac Belknap, Jr., John Coulter and Robert W. Jones. The ruling elders were John Currie, Samuel Belknap, Hugh Speir and John Shaw.

The First Reformed Presbyterian Churchwas planted in Newburgh by several families of the Covenanter faith in 1793, who held services in their homes on Sundays, and, with others, organized a Covenanter society in 1802. This became a branch of the Coldenham congregation, and the connection was continued until 1824, when it separated, and James Clark, Samuel Wright and John Lawson were chosen elders and John Crawford, deacon.

Trinity Methodist Episcopal Churchwas organized in 1808, when Rev. Samuel Fowler became the first pastor.

St. George's Episcopal Churchhas been elsewhere referred to in the early history of Newburgh. The parish was reincorporated, after a long period of adversity, in 1805, and the minister who more than any one else built it up afterward in the early years of the nineteenth century was Rev. John Brown. He became its regular rector in the fall of 1815.

The African M. E. Churchwas organized in 1827, by Rev. George Matthews.

A Baptist Church was organized in 1821, and after a feeble existence, ending in dissolution in 1828, was formally reorganized in December, 1834.

Of the later churches the organizations were as follows:

American Reformed Church,September 24, 1835;St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church,1838;Union Church,July 13, 1837;Shiloh Baptist Church,1848;St. John's M. E. Church,May 23, 1852;Westminstcr Reformed Presbyterian Church,November 12, 1854;Calvary Presbyterian Church,September 1, 1856;First United Presbyterian Church,December 6, 1859;Congregation Beth Jacob,about 1860;St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church,May, 1860;Grace M. E. Church,April 25, 1868;Church of our Father(Unitarian), 1855;St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church,May 19, 1875;Church of the Corner Stone(Reformed Episcopal), December 2, 1873;German Evangelical Lutheran Church,spring of 1876;Church of the Good Shepard(Episcopal), June, 1871;First Congregational Church,January 3, 1889.

OTHER HELPFUL ORGANIZATIONS.

A Young Men's Christian Association of Newburgh was organized September 17, 1858, and the next week officers were elected. The time of organization was less than six years after the Y. M. C. A. movement started. The association dissolved about 1861, and after the lapse of seven years the present association was organized. It did not have a vigorous existence for several years, and was reorganized in January, 1879. A few months later General Secretary J. T. Browne came to Newburgh and put new life into it, and it has been prosperous and progressive since. Its president, E. S. Tanner, was largely instrumental in raising the money for the new building, first occupied in 1883, and costing $17,000.

At a public meeting held April 24, 1888, after an address by the national secretary, Miss Nettie Dunn, Newburgh's Young Women's Christian Association was organized, and 105 members enrolled. The elected officers were: President, Mrs. Susan McMasters; vice-presidents, Mrs. Isaac Garrison, Miss Mary E. Gouldy and Mrs. Charles S. Jenkins; recording secretary, Miss Augusta Lester; treasurer, Mrs. M. C. Belknap. The association has been prosperous and useful.

St. Luke's Home and Hospital was incorporated in 1876. Its object is to provide for the care and medical treatment of the sick and disabled, and also a home for aged women. It has a training school for nurses, established in 1893, and a medical board of nearly a score of physicians and specialists.

Valentine Kohl

There are two institutions under the care of Alms House Commissioners—the City and Town Home and Children's Home. The former is on a farm in the southwestern corner of the city, and the latter is a building in High Street. These are city benefactions, well managed and helpful to the aged and orphaned.

An office and employment bureau was organized in 1875, and reorganized in 1886. It is primarily an organization to help the poor to help themselves. Members pay $5 annually and agree to abstain from indiscriminate alms giving. The society is otherwise supported by voluntary contributions.

The Woman's Christian Temperance Union and Young Women's Christian Temperance Union labor to teach the boys and younger men the principles of temperance and morality, and have restrained and reformed many of them.

There are two military companies in Newburgh—the Fifth Separate and Tenth Separate Companies, originating in the Seventeenth Battalion, which was organized in 1878. Lieutenant Colonel E. D. Hayt, commanding. January 11, 1882, Companies B, C and D were mustered out and Company A, Captain James T. Chase, continued as Fifth Separate Company, and Company E, Captain James M. Dickey, continued as Tenth Separate Company.

The Lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows are Acme No. 469; Bismarck No. 420; Highland No. 65 and Mount Olive Encampment No. 65.

The Elks have Lodge No. 247, B. P. O. E.

The Grand Army of the Republic is represented in Newburgh by Ellis Post No. 52. and Fullerton Post No. 589. The Sons of Veterans have A. S. Cassedy Post No. 18.

The Knights of Pythias have Storm King Lodge No. 11, Olive Branch Lodge No. 133, Endowment Rank Section No. 206 and Charles T. Goodrich Division No. 25, Uniform Rank.

The Knights of Honor have Hudson River Lodge No. 1218.

The Ancient Order of Foresters has Court Newburgh No. 7256 and Court Pride of the Hudson No. 7718.

The Improved Order of Red Men has Muchattoes Tribe No. 54, and Orange Council No. 50, Degree of Pocahontas.

Of temperance societies there are Orange Council No. 186, Royal Templars of Temperance, Prohibition Alliance; Junior Prohibition Club, St. George's Company No. 62, Knights of Temperance, St. Paul's Company No. 62. Mission Lodge No. 639 I. O. of G. T., Newburgh Lodge No. 282 I. O. of G. T., and Victory Lodge I. O. of G. T.

Among the many other societies are United Friends, Sons of St. George, Ancient Order of Hibernians, Royal Arcanum, Order of United American Mechanics, Sexennial League, Knights and Ladies of the Golden Star, Knights of Honor, Orange Men, several Catholic societies, labor and trade unions, Newburgh Bible Society, Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Society for Instruction in First Aid to the Injured, and Horse Thief Detecting Society.

FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.

Newburgh has solid financial institutions. Highland Bank was chartered April 26, 1834, with a capital of $200,000. In January, 1865, the capital was increased to $350,000, and the following April was reorganized as a National Bank with a capital of $450,000, which was reduced to $300,000 in 1888. The first president was Gilbert O. Fowler.

Quassaick National Bank was organized March 31, 1852, and began business with a capital of $130,000. The first president was E. W. Farrington, and the first cashier Jonathan N. Weed. In June of the year of organization the capital stock was increased to $200,000, and in June of 1853 to $300,000. In 1895 Mr. Weed was chosen president.

The National Bank of Newburgh is the successor of the Bank of Newburgh, incorporated March 22, 1811. The capital of the first bank was $120,000. The first president was Isaac Belknap, Jr., and the first cashier was John S. Hunn. In February, 1820, a branch bank was opened at Ithaca and continued till 1830, when its charter expired. The Bank of Newburgh was then reorganized under the Safety Fund law with a capital of $140,000. In 1851 it was again reorganized under the general banking law with a capital of $200,000, which was increased the next year to $300,000. July 3, 1864, the bank divided its capital and 60 per cent, profits among its stockholders, and closed business, and two days afterward the National Bank of Newburgh more than took its place in the business community, with the large capital of $800,000, the stock of which was promptly taken. June 3, 1890, the stockholders voted to reduce the capital to $400,000, and the additional $400,000 with 40 per cent profits was divided among them. The bank has continued to prosper.

Jos. H. Wetler

The Newburgh Savings Hank was chartered April 13, 1852, and was opened January 1, 1853. Its present building was completed in 1868, and cost $115,527. It has been a helpful institution to the people of Newburgh and vicinity. Its first president was Robert L. Case. Joseph Chadwick is now its president.

The Columbus Trust Company began to do business March 1, 1893, at No. 82 Broadway, with a capital stock of $100,000 divided among 144 shareholders. Semi-annual dividends of 3 per cent, have been regularly paid since 1895. In 1901 the directors decided to purchase No. 78 Broadway for a banking house. The building was remodeled, and April 20, 1902, the company moved to its present quarters. This company has prospered beyond the reasonable expectations of its friends. The statement of December 31, 1893, showed $117,249.17 on deposit, and $20,238.36 surplus and undivided profits. June 29, 1907, deposits amounted to $2,941,587.13 and surplus and undivided profits to $121,527.26. The total number of accounts is 5,300. The present officers are: Joseph Van Cleft, president; David A. Morrison, first vice-president; Charles K. Bull, second vice-president; Henry M. Leonard, treasurer; Barclay Van Cleft, secretary; Walter C. Anthony, counsel.

The Board of Trade was organized February 22, 1882, Mayor A. S. Cassedy presiding at the meeting. Daniel S. Waring was chosen president and the other officers were: vice-presidents, William B. Brockaw and John Schoonmaker; treasurer, Jonathan N. Weed. This organization helped in many ways to advance the city's interests. It was succeeded by the Business Men's Association, organized October 16, 1900, with the following officers: Samuel V. Schoonmaker, president; James Chadwick, W. C. Belknap, Hiram B. Odell, vice-presidents; John F. Tucker, secretary: H. A. Bartlett, treasurer. It was incorporated March 30, 1904. Among the larger plants it has secured for Newburgh may be mentioned (1901) the Abendroth & Root Co., of Brooklyn manufacturers of spiral pipe, automobiles, etc.; (1901-1902) the Fabrikoid Co., formerly doing business in New Jersey, which purchased the property known as Haigh Mills at West Newburgh. Their products are shipped to all parts of the world; (1903) William C. Gregg Co., of Minneapolis, Minn., manufacturers of sugar plantation machinery. William Johnston McKay was chosen president of the association in 1907. This organization is in charge of Newburgh's portion of the Ter-Centenary celebration of the discovery of the Hudson River, and has already arranged for special exercises, September 25, 26 and 27, 1909.

TRANSPORTATION AVENUES.

The transportation facilities of Newburgh are almost unsurpassed.

In front is its fine harbor, bay and river, with steamship lines up and down and across. These lines are a restraint upon the tendencies of the railroads towards high freight rates. The river trade is large and within a few miles of Newburgh are about fifteen village ports which are more or less tributary to it. The local traffic of the Hudson is mostly by lines of steamers, some of which carry both freight and passengers and others only passengers. Sloops and schooners, which long ago did nearly all the carrying trade, still do service.

The Central Hudson Steamboat Company has two night lines of steamers to New York, which carry passengers and freight. Boats of this line leave Newburgh and New York in the evening and afford charming water trips to residents and others. The company also provides the Newburgh, Albany and Troy line, the steamers of which leave Newburgh for the upward trips every morning, except Sundays, and arrive from Albany in the evening. The captains of the boats on the Newburgh and New York lines are Zach Roosa, William Meakim, Weston L. Dennis and E. N. Gage. Those on the Newburgh, Albany & Troy line are Fred L. Simpson and Egbert Van Wagner.

The Newburgh and Fishkill ferry, for which a line of steamers was started in 1835, continues business, its steamers leaving Newburgh about every half hour between 5.45 a. m. and 10.45 p. m. H. Stockbridge Ramsdell is the agent.

Newburgh and Haverstraw Steamboat Company has the steamerEmeline,Captain D. C. Woolsey, which starts for Haverstraw and intermediate landings each mid-afternoon and Haverstraw for Newburgh in the evening.

Newburgh and Poughkeepsie line's steamerHudson Taylor,Captain George Walker, leaves Newburgh for Poughkeepsie every morning.

Wappinger's Falls and Newburgh line's steamerMessengerleaves Newburgh forenoons and early evenings.

The West Shore Railroad, which extends north and west to Albany and Buffalo and south to New York, connects at Newburgh with the line and the New York and the New England systems, and at Buffalo with the Grand Trunk and the Lake Shore Railroads. Over thirty trains a day arrive and depart on this road. It has facilities for transporting cars across the river.

One Erie Railroad branch extends to a junction with the main line at Greycourt, eighteen miles distant, and affords a direct route to the Pennsylvania coal fields and across the southern tier of New York counties to the west. Another Erie branch connects with the main line at Newburgh Junction, fifteen miles distant, and passes through a number of Orange County villages. About twenty passenger trains a day arrive and depart over these branches.

The New York Central's Hudson River line of railroad across the river from Newburgh is reached by the ferry, the boats of which make close connection with all through passenger trains.

The Lehigh and Hudson River Railway extends from a junction with the Newburgh branch and the Erie's main line at Greycourt to Belvedere. The Newburgh branch is operated as a part of the system controlled by the Central Railroad of New Jersey.

There is also the line of the Orange County Traction Company, extending to Walden.

Newburgh is the principal gateway for the coal traffic between Pennsylvania fields and the New England States, which consume six million tons of coal annually. The loaded cars on reaching the river front are quickly ferried across to Fishkill on the transfer boat, and the roads coming to Fishkill distribute them. Much coal is also shipped from Newburgh by water to all parts of the northern country, and to the ports of Long Island and the New England coast.

CEMETERIES.

Newburgh has six cemeteries—the Newburgh, or Old Town, St. George's, St. Patrick's, the Hebrew, and in the suburbs, Woodlawn and Cedar Hill.

The Newburgh has many old headstones, and is in the block where stood the church of the old Palatine settlers.

St. George's is under the care of St. George's Protestant Episcopal Church.

St. Patrick's is for the remains of the Roman Catholic dead and the Hebrew for the Jewish dead.

Woodlawn Cemetery is controlled by the Newburgh Woodlawn Cemetery Association, which was incorporated October 22, 1870. It is in the town of New Windsor, a mile from the city, and is reached by a delightful avenue. It is an ideal location for a cemetery, with extended river and mountain views. Quassaick avenue, leading from the city to Woodlawn, is lined with elegant country residences in the midst of spacious grounds studded with fine trees and beautified in the warm season with wide lawns and varieties of beautiful flowers. The cemetery grounds contain fifty acres, laid out with excellent artistic taste and skill, and carefully looked after and kept in order by the superintendent, MacLeod Rogers, who has occupied the position from the beginning. Some of its features are a row of fine cedars along the northern boundary, a dense grove on the western side, scattered ancient oaks, also maples, pines, elms and other kinds of trees, varieties of shrubs and flowers, and a natural stream. There are several imposing monuments and many fine designs in sculptured marble and granite.

Cedar Hill Cemetery is about five miles north of the center of the city, and contains 100 acres in the midst of a picturesque landscape. It has about three miles of driveways through its park-like grounds, there is a stream of spring water which supplies a little lake of two and one-half acres, and there are many handsome monuments. The Cedar Hill Cemetery Association was organized in 1870.

THE CIVIL WAR.

Regarding enlistments from Newburgh and the money raised for the Civil War, the recapitulation in Ruttenber and Clark's History is here quoted:

"1. Company B. 3d Regiment, recruited in March and April, 1861. 2. Company B, 36th Regiment, recruited in May and June. 1861. 3. Company I, 71st Regiment Militia, recruited principally from Company I, 19th Regiment. 4. Companies A and B., and parts of C, D and G, 56th Regiment, recruited between July and October, 1861. 5. Seventh Independent Battery, in part, recruited with 56th Regiment. 6. Companies D, E, F, I and L, 19th Regiment Militia; miscellaneous enlistments prior to July, 1862, 111. Under the calls of July and August, 1862, 470 men were required from the town, and 501 furnished, 217 of whom were enrolled in the 124th and 106 in the 168th Regiments. The call of July, 1863 required 443 men, of whom ninety were furnished; but it was merged in the calls of October 1863, and of February, March and July, 1864, requiring 756; number furnished, 827, of whom seventy-one were not credited. The total of enlistments, including re-enlistments, was 2,250; the total of men required, 1,226. The public subscriptions and loans of the town, including at that time the village, for the promotion of enlistments and for bounties were: 1861, by individual subscriptions, $7,385; bonds of the village, $5,000; 1862, individual subscriptions, $17,512; 1864, town bonds, $175,100; total, $204,997. In addition to this sum the town expended for special relief—1863-1864—$1,075.50; expended by aid society, and in contributions to the Christian Commission, $12,387.31; raising the total to $218,459.81, and the further sum of $321,320 (partly estimated) for special income and internal revenue taxes to January 1, 1865—a grand total of $539.779.81."

James J. Leonard

POST-OFFICE.

The Newburgh post-office was the first to be established in this part of the State, and passed the centennial of its organization in December, 1895. Prior to that date letters and other articles which now go by mail were carried by post riders, who delivered and deposited letters at appointed stations. The first post-carrier station in this district is supposed to have been what was known as "the glass house" in the ancient village of New Windsor, where letters were addressed as early as 1755. One of the early stations was the tavern of Michael Wiegand on present Liberty street, and the regular accounting post-office of 1895 was its successor. At that time, we are told, the Newburgh office included in its deliveries Marlborough, Montgomery, Plattekill, New Windsor and other nearby settlements, and received mails by carriers on the established post roads, the main trunk lines being the old King's Highway, now Liberty street, the old road from Kingston to Goshen, running through Montgomery, from which a cross mail was carried through Coldenham to Newburgh, and there was a main cross mail running east through Fishkill into New England and to Boston, which intersected a cross line on the east side of the river extending from New York to Albany.

The Newburgh post-office had various locations in town until 1897, when it was moved into its permanent home in the new Government building, then just completed. The equipment here was modern and complete and the space sufficient, but the rapid growth of the city's industrial business and other changing conditions have been such that the building is already too small for the increased and increasing post-office business. Note the changes in five years. On March 1, 1900, there were connected with the office eight clerks, thirteen letter carriers and one substitute carrier, and in 1905 there were thirteen clerks, two substitute clerks, sixteen carriers, four substitute carriers, and four rural delivery carriers. The receipts of the office for the year ending March 31, 1901, were $52,263.12, and for the year ending March 31, 1906, they were $73,232.79, an increase of $20,969.37. or 40.12 per cent.

A list of postmasters from the beginning until now, with the dates of their appointment, follows:

Ebenezer Foote, appointed January 1, 1796; Harry Caldwell, October 1, 1797; Daniel Birdsall, October 1, 1802; Chester Clark, July 1, 1810; Aaron Belknap, March 26, 1812; Tooker Wygant, November 26, 1830; A. C. Mullin, May 23, 1833; B. H. Mace, November 23, 1836; Oliver Davis, June 11, 1841; James Belknap, May 18, 1843; Samuel W. Eager, August 6, 1849; Joseph Casterline, Jr., May 4, 1853; Ezre Farrington, May 22, 1861; James H. Reeve, November 1, 1866; Henry Major, May 7, 1867; Joseph Lomas, August 22, 1867; Ezra Farrington, July 19, 1869; John C. Adams, April 1, 1875; Joseph M. Dickey, March 21, 1883; William R. Brown, April 8, 1877; William G. Taggart, April 2, 1891; Joseph A. Sneed, February 1, 1892; Lewis W. S. McCroskery, March 1, 1896; Hiram B. Odell, March 1, 1900, reappointed 1904 and January, 1908.

Henry P. Clauson

CITY OFFICERS.

A list of the mayors, etc., of Newburgh with their terms of service since its incorporation as a city in 1865 are here given:

Mayors.

Treasurers.

Recorders.

Corporation Counsel.

City Surveyor.

Supervisors.

Supervisors from 1763 to inauguration of first city officers, March 12, 1866: Jonathan Hasbrouck, 1763; Lewis Du Bois, 1764; John Wandal, 1765; Benjamin Carpenter, 1766; Lewis Du Bois, 1767; Edward Hallock, 1768; Latting Carpenter, 1769-1771; Jonathan Hasbrouck, 1772; John Flewwelling, 1773; Samuel Prowler, 1774; Wolvert Acker, 1775; Morris Flewwelling, 1776; Wolvert Acker, 1777-1780; Thomas Palmer, 1781-1786; John Robinson, 1787-1788; Isaac Fowler, Jr., 1789; John Robinson, 1790-1791; Isaac Fowler, 1792-1795; Reuben Tooker, 1796-1807; Isaac Belknap, Jr., 1808; William Ross, 1809-1810; Jonathan Fisk, 1811; Leonard Smith, 1812-1818; Daniel Tooker, 1819-1820; Leonard Smith, 1822; William Wear, Jr., 1823; William Walsh, 1824-1831; Robert Lawson, 1832-1833; William Walsh, 1834; James G. Clinton, 1835-1836; Daniel Tooker, 1837; David W. Bate, 1838; Jackson Oakley, 1839; David W. Bate, 1840-1844: John W. Brown, 1842; David W. Bate, 1843-1846; Odell S. Hathaway, 1847-1849; Enoch Carter, 1850; Odell S. Hathaway, 1851; Enoch Carter, 1852; Samuel J. Farnum, 1853; Henry Walsh, 1854; Stephen W. Fullerton, 1855; Odell S. Hathaway, 1856; Albert Noe, 1857; Enoch Carter, 1838; Albert Noe, 1850-1860; Odell S. Hathaway, 1861-1863; William H. Beede, 1864; George W. Underhill, 1865; C. Gilbert Fowler, 1866.

William D. Barnes


Back to IndexNext