Chapter 33

In 1882 James J. McNally, the veteran newspaper man of Orange County, started at Monroe a weekly seven-column folio, theMonroe Herald.In 1888 he started at Goshen theGoshen News,and printed both papers at Goshen until the spring of 1892, when he died, and both publications ceased.

In 1883The Newswas started in Middletown as a Sunday paper by that veteran journalist, James H. Norton. Associated with him was Charles H. Conkling, a practical printer, and later W. T. Doty, whom Mr. Norton induced to take a hand in the editorial work.The Newstook an active interest in exploiting the farmer's interests during the famous "milk war" which waged in that year, when milk was spilled copiously in the Middletown streets and elsewhere, when encountered in surreptitious transfer to some unpopular dealer.The Newswas an eight-column folio, nicely printed, and attained a considerable circulation. Mr. Norton, and later Mr. Doty, retired from the concern, and the material was sold to Mrs. Hasbrouck, later to Lawyer Reid, who issued a few copies ofThe Jeffersonian,then to Isaac V. Montanye, who issued a few numbers of a labor paper, and finally the material was purchased by James J. McNally, to be merged with theMonroe Heraldand theGoshen News.

In 1885 St. John & Salmon issued at Port JervisThe Farm Guide,a monthly of eight, twelve and sixteen pages. It did not live long.

In June, 1885, George F. Ketchum started at Warwick theWarwick Valley Dispatch.It was an eight-column folio at first, and was afterward enlarged to a nine-column folio which it is at present. In 1889 a half interest in the paper was sold to I. W. Litchfield, Mr. Ketchum retaining control of the editorial policy. In 1894 Mr. Litchfield engaged in other business, Mr. Ketchum taking over his interest, which he still retains as sole controller of the paper and its policy. TheDispatchhas always been democratic in its politics, and for some years has been the leading—in fact, the main or only—exponent of the aggressive democracy represented by the Bryan forces in that party. Mr. Ketchum has been for several years chairman of the democratic county committee, and that he has proven himself an able editor and sagacious, fearless leader is evidenced by the growth in popularity of his paper, and the endorsement in growing aggressiveness of his course as leader of the democracy of the county and chairman of the county committee.

The Daily Newswas started in Newburgh as a penny daily, in 1885, by William H. Keefe, who had been for many years the city editor of theNewburgh Daily Journal.The paper had its inception amid modest surroundings, but what its founder lacked in material resources, however, he made up for in aggressiveness, enterprise and versatility. The vigorous style of the newcomer in the journalistic field caught the public fancy at the very start, and the paper soon attained a large circulation and became a financial success.

William H. Keefe died in February, 1901, and the business was carried on by the Newburgh News Printing and Publishing Co., which had been organized several years prior to his death. Mr. F. W. Wilson is its present able editor.

The Newssoon outgrew the meager mechanical facilities and restricted surroundings amid which it first saw the light, and in 1902 the plant was moved to its present home in the handsome building at 40 and 42 Grand street, which it purchased and remodeled for its own purpose. The installation of a still more modern and up-to-date equipment marked the beginning of a new era in the history of the paper, and successful as it had been up to that time, it has been still more so since.

TheNewburgh Daily Newsof to-day is concededly one of the leading newspapers of the Hudson River valley, not only in circulation, but also in influence. It is splendidly equipped, and is not surpassed by any newspaper in a city of equal size anywhere. Its plant represents a large investment of capital and it carries on its pay-roll upwards of fifty employees.

The handsome building, the modernly equipped plant, the large circulation and volume of advertising all indicate that theNewsenjoys the support and large patronage of the community in which it is published and to which it is a distinct credit.

The Daily Evening Presswas established in Newburgh in 1888, as a democratic organ, by James G. Dunphy. Mr. Dunphy was born in Newburgh, August 21, 1842, and learned his trade under the late E. M. Ruttenber. For many years he conducted thePresswith an ability which brought success and secured it a great influence throughout the county. After a considerable period of prosperity, however, a blight seemed to fall upon the printing plant, and although for some time Mr. Dunphy struggled bravely against ever-increasing obstacles, he was finally obliged to give up the losing fight, and thePressjoined the large company of other Orange County organs which had flourished for a season and then passed silently from the scene.

In 1887 St. John & Salmon started in Port Jervis a small quarto calledSunbeams.It was a semi-humorous publication, but the quality or quantity of its revelry failed somehow to attack the risibles of a sufficient clientèle of the American public, and its weary publishers concluded to let the prosaic citizens plod on in their own dull, flat, Boeotian way.

In 1888 N. E. Conkling & Co. started at Chester theOrange County News,a weekly, six-column folio, with N. E. Conkling as editor. It was an independent paper, giving much attention to local news. At times the paper published editions for Unionville and Pine Bush. In February, 1908, the plant was sold to J. B. Gregory, and removed to Monroe, where the latter started theRamapo Valley Gazette,March, 1908.

In April, 1888, theCornwall Localappeared at Cornwall-on-Hudson, under the management of H. A. Gates. In September, 1889, he disposed of the plant to C. P. Brate, of Albany, who installed his brother-in-law, Thomas Pendall, a practical printer and bright writer, as editor and publisher. In June, 1892, theLocalcame under the management of Lynn G. Goodenough, by whom it is still conducted. The paper was classed as independent politically until it came into Mr. Goodenough's possession. In 1896 he made theLocala republican paper, and as such it became a useful and influential member of Orange County republican newspaperdom. Recently the name of the paper became theLocal-Press,as more significant of a newspaper than the nameLocal.In 1895 Mr. Goodenough purchased Mr. Merritt's right, title and good will in theCornwall Mirror,and consolidated that publication with theLocal.

In 1887 theWalden Citizencame into existence. It is a six-column quarto, republican in politics, well edited by J. H. Reed, and is a newsy and meritorious publication.

A valuable monthly publication was begun in Port Jervis in 1888, whenChurch Lifewas issued. It was printed under the auspices of the Reformed church of that place. It usually appeared in eight pages, with two and three broad columns to a page. Its work was largely that of gathering up local historical matters, and one of its most valuable contributors was William H. Nearpass, whose penchant in that direction enabled him to furnish much valuable historical information that otherwise might have been lost to all generations. Another contributor was the Rev. S. W. Mills, D.D., for many years pastor of the Reformed Church of Deer Park. The paper was issued for about fifteen years, but why it was allowed to cease no one connected with the church seems to know. It was printed at theGazetteoffice.

TheOrange County Dairymanwas started at Middletown in the office of theMercury and Argus,in December, 1888. The publishers were Macardell, Thompson and Barrett (Cornelius Macardell, Sr., George H. Thompson, and Leon Barrett, the artist.) Its editor was W. C. Cairns, of Rockland, Sullivan County, better known as "Rusticus." TheDairymanwas a five or six-column quarto. It never became profitable, and went out of existence in January, 1890.

The only Sunday paper of the four or more started in this county that seemed to have vitality enough to come down to our day was theTelegramof Newburgh. It was started in 1889 by Edward M. Ruttenber, the venerable and learned printer, editor, author and historian, who lately passed to his great reward, mourned by all, and beloved and revered by those who knew him best. TheTelegramis now published by J. W. F. Ruttenber, son of its founder. Though started as a Sunday paper, it is now issued on Saturday, and is known asThe Newburgh Telegram.It is ably conducted, as it always has been. A free lance in principle, it is fearless in its assaults, and sometimes makes things very interesting for residents of the Hillside city and its purlieus.

One of the publications that made a sensation at its starting, and during its entire career was a subject of wide interest, was calledThe Conglomerate.It was started June 15, 1890, by patients in the State Homeopathic Hospital at Middletown. The first number was a four-column folio, but it soon grew to a quarto, and its circulation increased until, at its zenith, over 3,000 copies were issued. It circulated in all parts of America, had subscribers in New Zealand, and in fact in nearly every country, and its articles were copied everywhere.The Conglomeratestood for reform in lunacy matters, and for this reason, and because of its too outspoken policy against the State's lunacy commission, the authorities caused its suspension. It was gotten out entirely at the State Hospital, where a fully-equipped newspaper and job-printing office was established by the patients under whose tutelage it was called into existence. Its pages were full of bright things. Not only were its editorials able, but its contributions were from brilliant minds, the names of whose writers, for obvious reasons, are withheld. It ceased publication in 1897, after a brilliant career, during which it was eagerly sought, read with avidity, and was a force for good throughout its whole brief career.

On the afternoon of April 29, 1881, appeared in Middletown one of the county's—aye, one of the State's—marvels of journalistic success under the title of theMiddletown Daily Times.The first numbers were issued from the Hasbrouck printing office in the Hasbrouck block, corner of North and Depot streets, and was a seven-column folio. While it announced that Lewis S. Stivers and John D. Stivers were editors and proprietors, it was understood that ex-Congressman the Hon. Moses Dunning Stivers, their father, stood sponsor for the publication, and this able writer and shrewd politician soon made his personality evident in every issue of theTimes.Rapidly did the paper gain in circulation, in influence, and in popular confidence. Congressman Stivers was a man of pronounced personality, had a way of winning friends and retaining them, and with the recent expiration of a successful term in Congress he was in position to build up a powerful country newspaper plant. And that is just what he did. In this work he was most ably assisted by his two sons, whose names appeared at the head of the editorial columns. Lewis S. Stivers was a practical printer, a pressman, and a thorough, all-round mechanical expert; young, with a love for the trade—credited by all printers as being not only practical but one of the most capable men in the State. His brother, John D. Stivers, had been his father's private secretary all through his congressional career, had acquitted himself with entire credit, and having been "brought up" in a printing office, was well qualified to enter the editorial department of the establishment. As a reporter, as one ready and quick to grasp the importance of legitimate news, he proved his fitness for the position by keeping theTimesin the lead in its local and general news departments. It was under such auspicious conditions thatThe Middletown Daily Newspresented itself to the public every afternoon in the week, except Sunday, and its rapid growth in favor was the fulfillment of the auguries of those who best knew its esteemed sponsor and its managers. Within a short time the establishment was removed to the first floor on the James and Henry street corner of the Casino block. Here it remained until it was removed to its present quarters at the corner of King and Center streets, in the handsome four-story brick building of its own, and known as the Times building or Stivers block. Here are fast presses, three Mergenthaler Linotype machines and all the necessary accouterments to enable the management to issue one of the best daily newspapers in this country, outside of the larger cities. Its circulation is now daily considerably over 5,000 copies. The death of the Hon. M. D. Stivers and later of his son, Louis S. Stivers, removed two of the brightest members of the Orange County newspaperdom, and necessitated reorganization of the Times Publishing Co., which is now known as the Stivers Printing Company, with John D. Stivers as president and Dr. M. A. Stivers as secretary and treasurer. On February 11, 1906, theMiddletown Daily Pressmerged with theTimesand the combination has since issued as theMiddletown Times-Press.The editorial writer on theTimesandTimes-Presssince November 1, 1905, has been A. W. Russell, whose bright, well-put comments are one of the features that commend this widely-read journal.

TheNews of Highlandswas started at Highland Falls in 1891. It is published on Saturdays by F. F. & A. G. Tripp, and is politically independent or neutral.

In February, 1892, appeared in Port Jervis thePort Jervis Morning Index,the second attempt in that place to establish a morning daily. It was started by Isaac V. Montanye, of Goshen, and Sherwood Rightmyer, his nephew; was an eight-column folio, independent, or rather neutral, in politics, Mr. Montanye being a democrat and Mr. Rightmyer a republican. TheIndexwas newsy, and well edited, but ceased publication in August of the same year.

Middletown seems to have been the theatre of the sensational in Orange County journalism. TheBanner of Liberty,theWhig Press(whose editor was once caned in the streets for a bit of facetiousness); theSybil,theMercury,theMail,theStandard,theNews,theLiberal Sentinel,theLabor Advocate,theConglomerate—each had its day of riotous jest or caustic invective that set the town "by the ears" for a time.

The latest one to enter this field of humor, sarcasm and expletive wasThe Forum,the first number of which was issued February 28, 1897, by W. T. Doty and H. W. Corey, and which, within a few weeks, expanded into theMiddletown Sunday Forum.The first few numbers were printed in New York for the publishers by one of the "patent inside" concerns, and the warmth of its reception was such that its proprietors felt justified in putting in a plant of their own. The office at first was in the business office of the Casino building, in the second floor, but was later transferred to the first floor of the rear of the same building on Henry street. From the unique "greeting" in the first issue, the following excerpt is made as characteristic of the purposes, course and whole conduct of the publication:

"There are a number of reasons why we have concluded to publishThe Forum.First, we want to publish it. Second, there are a number of people who don't want us to publish it. Third, there seems need of a publication in this city that will call a spade a spade. Fourth, we can stop it when we want to. Being able to stop publishing it, if we want to, encouraged us in the idea of starting."

And so it was started, and with a pace that took the whole county by storm. It was exultant, exuberant, jocular, sarcastic, hilarious, but never whining, simpering, brawling or lachrymose. It had features such as no other paper in the county had, and all these peculiarities brought it into wider and wider notoriety, and the editions printed almost invariably fell short of supplying the demand. A leading feature was the "sermons" of "Pastor" Corey. There was a vein of the keenest irony in them, generally of more or less local application, and the demand for these lively satires extended to all classes of citizens—those the severest hit as well as those who, from a safe "coign of vantage," liked to watch the unique assaults. Another of its peculiar features was the holding up to ridicule of the driveling "items" and personals sent in by so many cross-roads correspondents of country papers, and which were generally the clever work of "Deacon" Peter F. Kaufman, a local real estate man who always looked on the "funny side" of all events. The unfortunate and severe illness of Mr. Corey necessitated the abandonment of the "sermons." The concern was sold (December, 1897), to Frank L. Blanchard, of New York, and later (1898) to W. T. Doty and Thomas Pendell, of Cornwall. The latter two ran out a daily,The Morning Forum,for some months, in 1898. Then Mr. Pendall purchased the outfit, and transferred it to Massena, N. Y. During the two or three years in whichThe Forumlived in Middletown it "cut a wide swath," and kept the whole surrounding country wondering "what next?" and, had it continued as it began, would have landed its proprietors—who were getting a pile of fun out of the proceeding—in the ranks of the multi-millionaires or in the penitentiary. A unique financial feature of the experiment was the fact that the paper more than paid its own way from the very first issue.

In October, 1898, S. T. Morehouse started at Cornwall-on-Hudson theCornwall Courier.This was conducted by various parties, including Mr. Morehouse and his son, Claude, by the well-known writer Creswell McLaughlin, Bernard Call, Clark J. Brown, Clayton Brown, and William Clark, and in 1906, ceased to exist.

TheOrange County Recordwas started at Washingtonville, May 17, 1899, by the Hon. Isaac V. Montanye (since deceased, December 26, 1906) and his nephew, Montanye Rightmyer. Since the death of Mr. Montanye, Mr. Rightmyer is the editor and publisher. The paper is devoted to local news.

In March, 1908, J. B. Gregory started at Monroe theRamapo Valley Gazette.The plant was that of theOrange County Newsat Chester, the paper started in 1888 by N. E. Conkling.

MISCELLANEOUS.

In addition to the above-mentioned so-called "regular publications," there have been numerous amateur, church, society, labor, semi-literary, and other more or less sporadic productions throughout the county from the time of the introduction of printing into the county at Goshen in 1788 to the present time.

An enterprise of importance that may be classed under this heading was that of the Franklin Printing Company, starting in Middletown, in 1879. At the head of the concern were James H. Norton, Isaac F. Guiwits, of Middletown and William H. Nearpass, of Port Jervis. A considerable building was erected on Mill street, Middletown, next to the residence of Mr. Norton, and several presses and a finely equipped printing establishment was installed, to print "patent insides." A big business was there built up, and continued until the purchase and absorption of the plant by the New York Newspaper Union, and the transfer of the same to that city.

From 1884 to 1886 the United States Official Postal Guide for New York City was printed by W. H. Nearpass at the Port JervisGazetteoffice. Anthony M. May & Co. had the contract for this work.

About 1886-7 lawyer T. A. Reid, of Middletown, amused himself for a few months with a paper he calledThe Jeffersonian.

Soon after, the Rev. Charles M. Winchester, a Free Methodist, came to Middletown, probably in 1879, he started a daily paper which he calledThe StandardorThe Standard-Bearer.It was published in the interests of the temperance cause, and made a considerable excitement during the eight or ten months of its existence.

The Pine BushHeraldis a lateral production of the WaldenHerald,and dates from 1904, with George W. Jamison as editor.

Town Lifewas a weekly issued in Middletown from June, 1904, to January, 1905, by Nelson W. Dix. It was a humorous publication with illustrations by the young publisher, who has a taste and a remarkable aptitude for drawing and cartoon work.

TheOrange County Magazinewas started in Newburgh in 1906, and in the same year the GoshenIndependent Republicanissued a side edition called theChester Independent Republican,with George W. Ball as editor.

The first number of theSt. Paul's Heraldwas issued in August, 1892, and each month thereafter for about one year. It contained eight pages, 9 by 12 inches to a page, and a cover. TheHeraldwas issued in the interest of St. Paul's M. E. Church, and Middletown Methodism. The editor and proprietor was Henry P. Powers, the present City Editor of the MiddletownArgus,and it was printed at theTimesoffice.

The Worker's Advocatewas started in Middletown about 1903, and conducted several years by W. H. McCarter, as an independent weekly paper.

The Church Helperwas issued under auspices of Drew M. E. Church in Port Jervis, for about one year. The first number appeared in June, 1889. It was a monthly, devoted almost exclusively to church and temperance work.

The Parish Monthlyhas been issued since 1906 by sanction of the Rev. John J. Morris, pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Port Jervis. It is a two-column folio, printed by P. J. Gaudy, Port Jervis, for the dissemination of local church news.

The Golden Rodis a monthly issued by Frederick Arthur Gates, M.A., pastor of the Ridgebury Presbyterian church, and printed at the office of the MiddletownTimes-Press.The Associate Editor is Mary C. Clark, with a corps of correspondents. It contains 10 pages and a cover, with two columns to a page, and with a subscription price of 25 cents a year. It has some local news and advertisements, but is devoted mainly to church and temperance work. It was started in January, 1907.

AMATEUR PUBLICATIONS.

The county has seen the birth and death of many amateur publications. The first in the county, so far as now known, and believed to be one of the first in the whole country, was issued in Port Jervis in 1862. It was calledThe Tiger.It was a diminutive production of four small pages, and was printed on one of the Adams Amateur presses, one of the first made, and the type, furnished by the same concern, was set by the energetic young publisher, William Henry Nearpass.The Tigerwas issued semi-occasionally, to suit the whim or convenience of the publisher, for two or three years. Mr. Nearpass was then a clerk in the grocery and dry goods store of Charles St. John, at the corner of Pike and West Main streets. Mr. Nearpass was then about twenty-two years of age.

Newburgh has had many of these amateur prints, beginning in 1875. Among them may be mentioned the following:Union Jack, American Eagle, The Comet, The Index, The Collector, The Packet, The Laurel, The Amateur Herald.

In 1877 Port Jervis had theAmateur Guide,and in 1880The Cricket.

Academy Miscellanywas started by the Port Jervis high school students in March, 1889, and was discontinued in May, 1895. It was a monthly publication, of eight pages, with two broad columns to a page, was devoted to school matters almost exclusively, and was a bright publication.

The Owlis a bright twenty-page monthly issued by the Middletown high school students, and printed at the office of theTimes-Press.It has been issued for several years, and is a particularly commendable school publication, both for the neatness with which it is gotten out, the literary character of its contents, and the business-like character of the publication. The present editor is James A. Rorty, the business manager, E. C. Faulkner.

During 1897The Union School Journalwas published by Merritt C. Speidel, now of the Tri-States Publishing Co., Port Jervis, and Hugh M. Cox, now a practicing physician in New York City, who were the editors and managers. It had 12 pages of 10 by 12 inches, three columns to a page, and had a circulation of 500. The publication was devoted to the interests of the schools and to matters of a general educational nature. The paper had the official sanction of the school authorities, and many prominent Orange County writers contributed to it.

The Publications of the County.

IN ANCIENT GOSHEN.

TheGoshen Repositorywas issued in 1788, by David Mandeville and David M. Westcott, at the Goshen Academy. The nature of the publication seems now unknown; nor is the size of the publication, or its character. In 1793 its office was near the court house. In 1800 it was sold to John G. and William Heurtin, thus showing a life of twelve years—a much better showing than that made by many of its successors there and elsewhere. Messrs. Heurtin changed its name to theOrange County Patriot,and in 1801 William Heurtin sold his interest to William A. Carpenter, when the name was changed toThe Friend of Truth.In 1804 it passed to the ownership of Ward M. Gazlay or Gazley, and again its name was changed. This time it became theOrange Eagle.A fire in 1805 in the office singed theEagle'sfeathers, but it was enabled to move about, and took its flight to Newburgh, where it became thePolitical Index.

Taking its name from an extinct Newburgh paper, Gabriel Denton, in 1804, issued theOrange County Gazette.Edward M. Ruttenber traces its history to Elliott Hopkins in 1807, to Elliott Hopkins & Co. in 1811, to Elliott Hopkins in 1812. to F. J. & A. D. Houghton in 1813, and to 1818, when it was "printed and published for the proprietor." How long after this it lasted is not known.

In 1808 Gabriel Denton started theOrange County Patriot and Spirit of Seventy-six.It was doubtless a patriotic publication, probably a jingo organ firing the American heart for another struggle with Great Britain, which came in 1812. In 1811 it was removed to Newburgh by Lewis & Crowell, where it was published as a "new series." T. B. Crowell became its publisher, and announced that its columns were "open to all parties" but were "influenced by none." In 1822 Mr. Crowell moved the paper back to Goshen, and sold it to R. C. S. Hendrie, who, February 22, 1834, sold it to F. T. Parson, who changed its name to theGoshen Democrat.In 1842 Charles Mead associated with Mr. Parson. Nathaniel Webb secured Mr. Parson's interest, and the firm became Mead & Webb, and later Charles Mead & Son, after the death of Mr. Webb. In 1843 R. C. S. Hendrie started theTrue Whig,two years later selling it to Charles Mead, who merged it with his paper under the title ofThe Goshen Democrat and Whig.Later the nameWhigwas dropped, and the paper remains to this day theGoshen Democrat.The firm of Mead & Son came into existence January 1, 1865, and continued until January 1, 1892, when the elder Mead sold his interest to Edwin L. Roys. William W. Mead and Edwin L. conducted the establishment under the firm name of Mead & Roys until September 1, 1902, on which date they sold the concern to J. R. Colburn, of Washington, D. C. Two months later (November 1, 1902), John F. Barringer, of Walden, bought the plant and, two months later (January 1, 1903), sold it to John B. Scott and George V. Gregg, who conducted the same under the firm name of Scott & Gregg, until September 1, 1905. on which date Mr. Scott sold his interest to George F. Gregg, who has since been its proprietor.

In 1820 Williams & Farrand started theOrange Farmer.Mr. Ruttenber speaks of this as theOrange County Farmer,but as the copies now in existence bear the titleOrange Farmer,the writer is inclined to believe the word "County" is a slip of the usually very accurate pen of Mr. Ruttenber. Its founders were graduates of the AlbanyPlow-Boy,and aimed to make theFarmeran agricultural publication. How long it lasted is not known. A well-preserved copy of thisFarmeris now in possession of Dr. James J. Mills, of Port Jervis. It is volume IV, No. 195, dated November 17, 1823.

About 1822 there moved into Goshen a lusty young pioneer, sixteen years of age, under the patronymic ofThe Independent Republican.This stripling was born at Montgomery, May 6, 1806, and there christened theOrange County Republican.Under the tutelage of Luther Pratt in 1812, in its sixth year, its name was changed to that of theIndependent Republican,and in 1818 James A. Cheevey became its sponsor, and removed it to Goshen about 1822. In 1832 theIndependent Republicanplant was sold to Henry H. Van Dyck, who sold it in 1836 when he became State Senator, to Victor M. Drake, then a young printer twenty-seven years of age, who had for some time been employed in the office, as apprentice and journeyman printer. In 1841 Mr. Drake sold the establishment to Moses Swezey, who came to Goshen from Long Island in 1834 as a violinist and dancing master. He was a fine penman, a good bookkeeper, and an excellent accountant, and became the head clerk for County Clerk Lebbeus L. Vail. As editor of theIndependent Republicanhe wielded a powerful and caustic pen, and became a power in Orange County politics. He was the father of the present Surrogate, John B. Swezey.

In 1846 Mr. Swezey sold the plant to Clark & Montanye. It continued, as it long had been, the local organ of the "Hunker" faction of the Democracy. Late in the '50's Mr. Clark went to Iowa and started a Republican paper. James J. McNally purchased the plant in 1853, and sold it to Isaac V. Montanye in 1857, only to repurchase it, selling it again in 1869 to Edward M. Ruttenber and H. P. Kimber. Mr. Ruttenber retired, and in 1874 Mr. Kimber sold it to Thomas P. McElrath, an ambitious New Yorker, who had some fond illusions which he hoped to engraft into Orange County journalism. He made friends and foes fast and furious—particularly the foes—and in 1876 retired to New York, utterly disgusted with journalism in Orange County.

Then Hon. I. V. Montanye and his son, Lucien, secured the paper. In 1883 the former retired, and Frank Drake secured an interest in the concern, under the firm name of Montanye & Drake. In March, 1892, Mr. Drake became sole owner, and remains such to-day (March, 1908).

The present proprietor of theIndependent Republican,Frank Drake, is a son of that veteran Orange County journalist, Victor M. Drake, and is a "chip of the old block," a good newspaper man. He is making the paper newsy, keen, merry and bright. He changed it from a weekly to a semi-weekly edition, issued on Tuesdays and Fridays. It is a five-column quarto.

TheIndependent Republicanhas not always had things its own way in Goshen Democratic politics. In 1843 Hector Vail, son of County Clerk Lebbeus L. Vail, and T. W. Donovan started theDemocratic Standardunder the firm name of Vail & Donovan. TheStandardrepresented the "Barn-Burners" or Free Soil element in the Democratic party, and in antagonism to the interests represented the "Hunkers" and theIndependent Republican.In 1844 Mr. Donovan retired, and Hector Vail changed its name to theGoshen Clarion.The Democratic factional fight became stronger, and theClarionhad such backers as Lebbeus L. Vail, Asa D. Jansen, James H. Jansen, John B. Booth of Goshen; Merritt H. Cash, Minisink, and Francis Tuthill of Chester. On the death of Lebbeus Vail, theClarion,in 1879 was discontinued, the subscription list going to theIndependent Republicanand the material to Milford, Pa., having been purchased by John M. Heller or James J. McNally, or both, and where it became thePike County Democratand later theMilford Herald.

One paper devoted exclusively to theological subjects had its origin in Goshen, and lives to-day to tell the tale. In 1832 theSigns of the Timeswas started, by Lebbeus L. Vail, a convert from Congregationalism to the Old School Baptist tenets. Between politics and theology Mr. Vail was kept pretty busy. He was a candidate for county clerk on the Democratic ticket, and in 1834 was elected. About this time an earnest young expounder of Mr. Vail's new-grounded faith appeared on the scene. Mr. Vail could not very well run a religious journal and the county clerk's office at the same time, so he turned theSigns of the Timesover, body and soul, to the youthful preacher, and Elder Gilbert Beebe took his prize in a wagon, and landed it in New Vernon, near Middletown. Thence he moved it to Alexandria, Va., whence it came to Middletown, where it is domiciled to-day.

During the fight in the Democratic party between the "Hard-Shell" faction, representing the pro-slavery element, and the "Soft-Shell," representing the Douglas, Squatter-Sovereignty, or Anti-Nebraska element in the party, in 1854, theDemocratic Recorderwas started by A. G. Tucker. TheRecorderhad a short life, and the subscription list and materials were purchased by James J. McNally and absorbed by hisIndependent Republican.

The next and last paper to appear in Goshen was theGoshen News,in 1888, under James J. McNally, which, as already told, passed into that ever-open haven of refuge, the portals of theIndependent Republican,on the death of Mr. McNally, in 1892.

NEWBURGH AND NEW WINDSOR.

When New Windsor leaps into the arena of contest with a journal of uncertain antiquity, but clearly at the daybreak of journalistic chronology in Orange County, she has grounds for contesting the concession that Newburgh was second, or Goshen even first, in the honors due to pioneerism in the printing art.

E. M. Ruttenber says: "In 1799 Jacob Schultz removed to Newburgh theNew Windsor Gazette,the name of which he changed toOrange County Gazette." It is not in evidence when this New Windsor paper began and it may have been immediately or long prior to its removal to Newburgh.

But Mr. Ruttenber says the first paper published in Newburgh was theNewburgh Packetin 1795. The proprietor was Lucius Carey, son-in-law of Rev. John Close, Presbyterian minister at Newburgh and New Windsor. Carey sold the paper to David Denniston in 1797, who changed its name toThe Mirror,Philip Van Home (1797) and Joseph W. Barber (1798) appearing as proprietors.

In 1796 a pamphlet entitled, "An Apology for the Bible," was printed in Newburgh, by David Denniston. It was written by R. Watson, D.D., F.R.S. It is said it was creditably printed and bound.

When theOrange County Gazetteemerged from theNew Windsor Gazettein 1799, Newburgh had two printing shops where books as well as papers were printed, and the legend is that theGazettebecameThe Citizen,though Mr. Ruttenber questions this, as none of the issues are to be found. As Mr. Denniston was, about this time, connected with theAmerican Citizen,of New York City, this fact may have given rise to the belief that a localCitizenhad existed.

The Rights of Manwas started in 1799 by Dr. Elias Winfield. Mr. Denniston also purchased this paper, evidently merging it with hisOrange County Gazette.

The Recorder of the Timeswas started by Dennis Cole, in 1803.The Mirrorwas absorbed by theRights of Manin 1804, and the latter byThe Times,in 1805. Ward M. Gazlay, this year, drove into town with the remnants of hisOrange Eagle,whose office had been burned in Goshen, purchased theRecorder of the Times,in 1806, and changed the name to thePolitical Index,and it lived until 1829, when it became theOrange Telegraphand theNewburgh Telegraphunder Charles M. Cushman. Under many changes it lived to become, under E. M. Ruttenber, in 1876, theNewburgh Register.

In June, 1822, John D. Spaulding started theNewburgh Gazette.Through a succession of owners it came, in 1856, to Eugene W. Gray, who, in connection with theGazette,began the publication of a political paper which he called theDaily News.In 1864 the name of theNewswas dropped andDaily Telegraphsubstituted, and later in the same year it became theDaily Union,in 1866 all the previous titles were dropped and that ofThe Presssubstituted, in 1869 the title ofTelegraphrestored, and in 1876 that ofRegister.

TheNewburgh Journal,started in 1833-4 by John D. Spaulding, became theHighland Courierin 1843, and in 1859, under Rufus A. Reed, it became theHighland Chieftain.The establishment came into the possession of Cyrus B. Martin, who resumed the name ofNewburgh Journal,and in 1863 began the publication of theDaily Journal,which is continued to-day by Ritchie & Hull.

The Beacon,an anti-Jackson paper, was commenced in 1828 by Judge William B. Wright. Wallace & Sweet, in 1834, published theNational Advertiser,and later merged it in theGazette.In 1849 Thomas George issued theNewburgh Excelsior,which was purchased by E. M. Ruttenber (May, 1851), who merged it in theTelegraph.For three or four weeks in 1855 R. P. L. Shafer published theNewburgh American.The Newburgh Times,a temperance paper, was started in March, 1856, by Royal B. Hancock, "as agent for an association of gentlemen." After passing into the ownership of R. Bloomer & Son, Alexander Wilson and Charles Blanchard, it became, under the latter, theNewburgh Daily Democrat,and lived thus only a few months.

An association of printers, in October, 1875, started theDaily Penny Post,and in 1876 a rival association started theDaily Mail.ThePostdied in 1876, and in 1877 theMailwas absorbed by theRegister.

Newburgh's theological serial publications began in 1824, when the Rev. J. R. Wilson started theEvangelical Witness,a religious monthly of forty-eight pages, devoted to the interests of the Reformed Presbyterian church. In four years (1828), it was succeeded by theChristian Statesman,which lived one year. Authorized by the Synod of the same church, the Rev. Moses Roney, March 1, 1836, began the publication of theReformed Presbyterian,a monthly of thirty-two pages. In 1849 Mr. Roney removed the magazine to Pittsburgh, Pa., where he died in 1854, and his widow continued its publication until succeeded by the Rev. Thomas Sproul. For one year theFamily Visitorlived, a monthly quarto, conducted by the Rev. David L. Proudfit. Beginning in 1845 he published theChristian Instructor,a thirty-two page monthly. Two years later the Rev. J. B. Dales bought it and removed it to Philadelphia. TheCatholic Library Magazinewas begun in 1856 by the Catholic Library Association, with John Ashhurst as editor. It was published monthly, and lived until August, 1860.

Newburgh has been a fertile field for the production of newspapers and periodicals of all sorts, as seen above, the religious as well as the secular press felt the popular pulse, and then passed away.

There were also literary ventures more or less pretentious, each budding, blossoming and fading in a short season.

Tables of Rural Economywas issued in May, 1832, by John Knevels. It was a monthly quarto and lived less than a year. TheLiterary Scrap-Bookwas a monthly of forty-eight pages, started in 1855 by R. B. Denton. Its life was short. In 1857 Domaski's School began the publication ofThe Acorn,which lived until 1859. Some time afterward the title was rescued in a publication by the students of the Newburgh Institute under charge of Mr. Siglar, and again it died.

One of the most profitable of all these literary ventures in Newburgh was that of theHousehold Advocate,by S. S. Wood, begun in 1867. It was an eight-page monthly and soon secured a large circulation. Mr. Wood later changed its name to theHousehold Magazine.It attained a circulation of 60,000, and the writer is one of the many who read its pages with eagerness until it failed in 1874.

Another publication which the writer remembers reading with much pleasure wasHome, Farm and Orchard,an eight-page weekly started in 1869 by A. A. Bensel. It lived until the spring of 1876.

During the years of 1872 and 1873 Demorest & Burr issued theMusical Bulletin,a monthly quarto.

In amateur papers there were several. Among them:The Union Jack,by Master A. Ludlow Case (1865 to 1873); theAmerican Eagle,by Frank S. Hull, aged twelve years (1865);The Comet,by Henri Gerard (1871);The Index,by J. Walker F. Ruttenber (1871);The Collector,by D. W. Jagger (1871);The Packet,by W. H. Wood and D. W. Corwin (1872);The Laurel,by a Milligan (1872); theAmateur Herald,by T. R. Balf (1872).

AT MONTGOMERY.

Montgomery seems to have come forth into the journalistic arena.

TheOrange County Republicanwas printed there from 1806 to 1818. It was begun May 6, 1806, and was printed by Cyrus Beach and Luther Pratt. This publication, as already shown in the Goshen notes, was removed to Goshen and became theIndependent Republican.

In 1833-1834 theRepublican Bannerwas printed there by Calvin F. S. Thomas. In June, 1859, William H. Smith started theMontgomery Standard.TheMontgomery Republicanwas issued in September, 1868, by Lester Winfield, being a continuation of a publication he started at Galeville Mills, Ulster County, in May, 1864, and which he removed to Pine Bush and called thePine Bush Weekly Casket,in November, 1867. May 1, 1869, theStandardand theRepublicanunited their forces and became theRepublican and Standard,under Lester Winfield. In 1896 Lyman H. Taft started theReporter.Later theReporterand theRepublican and Standardunited, and became theMontgomery Standard and Reporter,which it is now (March, 1908), with Lyman H. Taft as editor and proprietor, and Charles M. Miller, associate editor. It is a large nine-column folio, republican in politics, with a decided tendency to be independent.

In April, 1868, Stephen H. Sayer started theWallkill Valley Times,a large seven-column folio. It was neatly printed, and the office well-equipped, with a cylinder press—a rare acquisition in those days. In 1869 Mr. Sayer issued theDollar Weekly.In 1871 Lester Winfield purchased theTimesand theWeeklyoutfit, and remained in Montgomery until his death a few years ago.

AT SLATE HILL.

Reference has already been made to a well-printed paper issued in Slate Hill or Brookfield, in 1834, theRepublican Sentinel.The writer has several well-preserved copies of this neat publication, but when it passed out of existence is not now known. The name of the editor does not appear, nor of the publisher.

Slate Hill in that day was a thriving settlement, and doubtless would have continued to grow had not the Erie railroad come to Goshen in 1842 and to Middletown two or three years later.

IN MIDDLETOWN.

It was in 1840 that the first printing outfit landed in Middletown. In that year A. A. Bensel started theMiddletown Courier,a democratic weekly, which he continued until April, 1846, when, apparently scared by the entrance of the Erie railroad, he "pulled up stakes" and never stopped until his outfit was landed in Kingston, N. Y., where he started theUlster Democrat.

TheOrange County Newswas the second venture in Middletown. This was started in July, 1846, by John S. Brown, and it lived until 1849. It was neutral in politics and evidently in almost everything else, and, it is said, hardly deserved the name of a newspaper.

About 1847 Elder Gilbert Beebe came into town with his Old School BaptistSigns of the Times,which he removed from Alexandria, Va., as already explained. This publication continues, changed somewhat in form but not in method or substance, and remains a monument to the peculiar tenets of the faithful band of adherents of a sturdy theological doctrine. For many years it was printed in the "meeting house" on Orchard street, where the Denton residence now stands, and directly opposite the residence of Elder Beebe. A few years ago, and some time after the death of Elder Beebe, the plant was removed to the upper floor of the brick building at the west corner of East Main and Roberts streets, and the "meeting-house," a plain brick structure, stands on the corner of Roberts and Cottage streets. TheSignsis published by J. E. Beebe & Co., and is edited by Elder F. A. Chick, of Hopewell, N. J., and Elder H. C. Kerr, of Middletown.

In 1848 Gilbert Judson Beebe started theBanner of Liberty.It was at first published monthly, eight pages with four columns to a page. After 1856 it became a weekly publication, the same size. It was a rank pro-slavery paper, and opposed and assaulted all lines of modern thought or suggestion of innovation or iconoclasm. This style of polemics met a hearty response in the South and Southwest, and the paper attained a circulation of 27,000 copies. For years it was printed in the old frame structure then known as the Pinkus Building on East Main street, next to the Holding House. When the Civil War broke out its circulation and income were greatly cut down by the interruption of mail communication between the North and the South, and the death of the talented but obdurate and intractable editor, after the war, left nothing for theBanner of Libertyto do but to go somewhere and expire. It did. It went to Ellenville, and shortly was heard of no more.

In 1856 Mr. Beebe published aCampaign Banner.

Gilbert J. Beebe also started in 1848, and in this case may fairly be said to have "established" theMiddletown Mercurywhich as elsewhere stated, became one of the brightest country newspapers in the United States under James H. Norton and Isaac F. Guiwits.

Mr. Beebe printed another paper in his early and more ambitious days. From 1850 to 1852 he ran out an advertising monthly for gratuitous circulation. It was called theMiddletown Advertiser.

The next paper to appear in Middletown wasThe Whig Press.It was started November 26, 1851, by John Whitbeck Hasbrouck, a young man from Ulster County. In 1866 he changed its name to theOrange County Press.This concern, always prosperous and influential, but which finally merged with theTimesand became a part of theTimes-Press(February 1, 1906), had an eventful career, which is best summed up in the following brevities taken from the last issue of theDaily Press,February 28, 1906:

Established November 26, 1851, by John W. Hasbrouck, and conducted by him for about seventeen years.

April 9, 1868, purchased by Moses D. Stivers and conducted by him for twenty months.

December 3, 1869, firm of Stivers & Kessinger formed, the junior member being Albert Kessinger, who died in the summer of 1872.

May 24, 1870, a tri-weekly edition was started, issued Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

October 15, 1872, F. Stanhope Hill and John Whiting Slauson bought the paper under the firm name of Hill & Slauson.

October 26, 1872. this firm discontinued the tri-weekly known as theEvening Press,and started in its place theMiddletown Daily Press,issued afternoons.

July 1, 1873, M. D. Stivers bought Mr. Hill's interest, and the firm of Stivers & Slauson was formed and continued seven and one-half years.

December 14, 1880, Mr. Stivers sold his interest to Charles J. Boyd, and the firm of Slauson & Boyd was formed.

July 24, 1883, Slauson & Boyd issued the first number of theOrange County Semi-Weekly Press—the first semi-weekly local paper in this section, and a pronounced success from the start.

August 1, 1883, M. D. Stivers again became part owner of thePress,and the firm became Stivers, Slauson & Boyd, continuing for about seven and one-half years.

March 1, 1891, Mr. Stivers sold his interest to his partners, and the firm of Slauson & Boyd for the second time came into existence.

February 1, 1906, merged into theTimes-Press,after an honored and prosperous record of more than fifty-four years.

The term of service with thePressof each proprietor in round numbers is: John W. Hasbrouck, seventeen years; Moses D. Stivers, nineteen years; John W. Slauson, thirty-three years; Charles J. Boyd, twenty-five years; Albert Kessinger, three years; F. Stanhope Hill, one year.

Reference has already been made toThe Hardwareman's Newspaper(1855),The Sybil(1856),The Iron Age(1858),The Rising Sun(1866),The Mail,daily and weekly (1869),The Standard(1874?),The Argus,weekly (1875), daily (1876),The Liberal Sentinel(1881),The News(1883),The Jeffersonian(1886?),The Forum(1897), and theWorker's Advocate(1899?).

THE PRESS IN PORT JERVIS.

Printing was introduced into Port Jervis by a colored man, P. H. Miller. Of his personality the writer is unable, at this day, to learn a thing—whence he came or whither he departed. He began the printing here of an independent Whig paper, which he called thePort Jervis Express,early in 1850. It was neatly printed, a five or six-column folio, and reflected credit on its founder. It was printed in an office on West Main street, on the west side of the canal. That section was then about all there was of Port Jervis, though the Erie had arrived, and started a station near the Delaware River which it called Delaware. The people of "the Port" objected to this name, and for a long time strife was keen between the residents and the Erie company over the name, the advocates of "the Port" finally winning.

TheExpresssaw the tail end of this fight, before its life of nine months drew to a close.

In November of the year (1850) when the Express passed away, theTri-States Unionwas started. Its founder was Col. Sam Fowler, a Jersey-man who had acquired considerable land in the village, all within the boundaries of the present city. He was ambitious, had money, vim and a purpose. He built a palatial home on the banks of the Neversink, erected the Fowler House, and was proceeding to make Port Jervis the booming town of the east, when financial disaster overtook him, and, to the great loss of the town, he left it never to return, his vast interests involved in hopeless encumbrances.

But before he left he started theTri-States Union,and it lives to-day. It was a Democratic newspaper, with John I. Mumford editor.The Unionhas had a number of owners, and had its ups and downs, but it always managed to appear on schedule time, and in usual form, though at times during the Civil War it was sorely pressed to imitate many of its exchanges—when it was almost impossible to buy, beg or steal white paper—and appear in wrapping paper, or in "any old thing." It is now a six-column quarto, with a large circulation, has an afternoon edition of thePort Jervis Daily Union,seven-column folio, has two of the latest Mergenthaler Linotype machines, and is of the concern that issues one of the leading agricultural papers of the country,The New York Farmer.

TheTri-States Unionwas first issued in a small building somewhere near where the Hubbard Building now stands, opposite the Fowler House and the present Erie depot (1908). Later it was removed to the old frame building Nos. 55-57 Pike street, now the four-story brick structure built by George Lea and occupied by Mason & Son, druggists. The early 60's found it located on Pike street, over the Union store, in the second floor of the two-story frame structure at No. 100 Pike street now (March, 1908) occupied as the Central or Northrup's meat market. Thence it was removed by Foster & Mitchell (1870) to the Creegan Block, No. 76 Pike street, over what is now Laidley's drug store. Next (1872) it was removed to the rear of St. John & Malven's, now the Gordon Company foundry building, on Sussex street. In 1873 it was removed to No. 81 Pike street, now Collin's news and confectionery store, and in 1882 to its present location No. 112 Pike street, in the Farnum Block.

Port Jervis has survived many severe temperance agitations. The most acute stage seems to have been in the extreme youth of the place—when impressions ought to be most lasting and beneficial. Between 1852 and 1855, it had three papers devoted to the cause of temperance. The first was theMirror of Temperancestarted in June, 1852, by J. L. Barlow and John Dow. ThisMirrorreflected its surroundings for about eighteen months, and then faded away. It was a handsome paper, well printed and ably edited.

In 1853 an Englishman, John Williams, took up the fight where theMirrordropped it, and startedThe Sentinel.With the proverbial pugnacity of a "Johnny Bull," Mr. Williams thought he needed more paper weapons with which to fight the "drink evil," and so, in the autumn of 1854 he issued a campaign paper which he calledThe Precursor of Temperance,and which died with the fall campaign.The Sentinellived until 1855, in which year Mr. Williams went to Middletown and in theWhig Pressoffice began issuing theHardwareman's Newspaper,the precursor of theIron Age,the leading organ to-day of the iron industry in this country, and which is now—-or was recently—published by his son, David Williams, in New York City.

April 22, 1869, James Henry Norton and William Henry Nearpass began the publication of theEvening Gazette.It was a five-column folio, set in bourgeois type, was published tri-weekly, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Soon afterward appeared the weekly edition,The Family Gazette,afterward changed toThe Port Jervis Weekly Gazette.It was started on the third floor of the brick building then just built by Cook & Burrell as an umbrella factory at No. 92 Pike street, now (March, 1908), occupied by Johnson & Stoll's furniture store. Thence it moved to Westbrook's Hall, the third floor of the building now occupied by the J. W. Dalley Co., Nos. 66-68 Pike street; thence to its present quarters in the Mondon Building, 90 Pike street, corner of Pike and Ball streets. The tri-weekly became a daily afternoon issue, January 17, 1881. It is now a well-equipped office, has a Mergenthaler Linotype machine, and all the accessories of a good country newspaper.

E. G. Fowler'sMorning Callappeared on Sunday morning, April 4, 1880. It was printed in the Masterson Building, No. 10 Ball street. TheMorning Indexappeared in an upper floor of the Hornbeck Building, now the Swift Beef House on Jersey avenue. TheSunbeamsandFarm Guidewere issued fromThe Unionoffice, andChurch LifeandAcademy MiscellanyfromThe Gazetteoffice.The Bulletinis the name of a two-column folio that is issued occasionally in political and exciting local campaigns, from the press of printer P. J. Gaudy, on Ball street. It doesn't appear very often, but when it does it makes a sensation.

AT WARWICK.

The beautiful village of Warwick, the "Queen Village" of New York State, has two well-established, ably-edited, well-printed and influential weekly newspapers, reflecting with no exaggeration the sentiment and conditions of the Warwick valley—a land rich in nature's bounties, lavishly endowed with all the charms of rural romanticism and pastoral fervency.

The first paper published in Warwick, so far as present records are obtainable, was theDoctrinal Advocate and Monitor.It was probably started as early as 1845—possibly earlier—and was edited or conducted by Elder Jewett as an exponent of the Old School Baptist doctrine. In 1846 thisMonitorwas merged with Elder Gilbert Beebe'sSigns of the Times,and for a while the latter paper was published under both titles.

The second paper started there was theWarwick Advertiser,the first number of which made its appearance January 27, 1866. It was a well-printed, neat, newsy, and bright paper from the first, and age not only does not dim its luster, but seems to add to its sprightliness. Its first editor and proprietor was Leonard Cox, who was an elder in the Old School Baptist church of Warwick for a few years. It was independent, or rather neutral, in politics, but catered to the religious and moral sentiment as well as the local interests of the community, from its inception, and has never ceased to act as a propagandist theological, political, social and formal. Within three years Elder Cox sold the plant to John L. Servin, a local lawyer and farmer, a man of high standing and education. In 1873 Mr. Servin transferred the business to his associate editor, Daniel F. Welling, a practical printer, but took back the concern within the year and soon afterward sold the same to Samuel J. Stewart and Joshua C. Wilson. A few years later Mr. Wilson sold his interest to Dewitt C. Demorest, a workman in the office, who, after a year or two, transferred his share back to Mr. Stewart, who remained sole proprietor until April 1, 1882, when the plant was purchased by its present owner and able editor, Hiram Tate. Under Mr. Tate's management theAdvertiserbecame an advocate of the politics of the republican party, of which it has since remained a staunch and fearless supporter. TheAdvertiserhas been a factor of no little importance in the growth and general well-being of the village and Warwick valley. After a careful campaign of education on that special subject, it was largely instrumental in bringing about the now very popular and certainly sensible style of fenceless dooryards and lawns, so prevalent in Warwick as to excite the admiration of all tasteful visitors, and one of the distinguishing factors in earning for the place the well-merited title of the "Queen Village." It was also largely through the efforts of theAdvertiserthat a teacher in music and elocution has been added to the Warwick schools. Other betterments in local affairs have been brought about by this paper's efforts, and theAdvertiseris certainly a paper of high tone and a credit to the Warwick valley.

The third newspaper to make its appearance in Warwick was theWarwick Valley Dispatch,which has been a success from its start. It was established in June, 1885, by George F. Ketchum, who has since been its fearless editor and publisher. TheDispatchhas prospered under Mr. Ketchum's continuous and wise management of nearly twenty-three years, and has been a potent factor in shaping the progressive development of the village and town of Warwick. Its columns have been especially devoted to school improvement, theDispatchand its editor taking a leading part in the movement for two modern brick school houses—primary and high school—during the twelve years that Mr. Ketchum served as a member of the Warwick board of education, he being president of the board when the high school was built. It is generally acknowledged that the successful outcome of this agitation was largely due to the influence of theDispatchand its editor. The paper has been a leader in all efforts to secure improvements for the village and the valley, especially for increased water supply, fine streets, and roads, and the development of Warwick as a summer resort. The paper also heartily advanced the formation of the Warwick Valley Telephone Company, the Warwick Realty Company and the Warwick Knife Company. Politically the Dispatch is democratic, and is recognized as the most influential exponent of democracy in this section of the State. For a dozen years its editor has been chairman of the democratic county committee, during which time the influence of the Dispatch has been markedly shown in shaping the policy of the party in Orange County, and in the favorable results achieved for its candidates at the polls, although the county has a normal republican majority. The paper has gained a large local circulation because of its newsy features, and is respected for its fairness and fearlessness in controversy. The Dispatch was started as a nine-column four-page newspaper, and was first printed in a small frame building on Main street, adjoining the Warwick Valley Hotel. Since 1889 it has been comfortably housed in a brick structure known as "The Dispatch Building," which was erected on Main street by Thomas Burd, and is equipped with modern presses and a Simplex typesetting machine. Although Mr. Ketchum has always personally controlled the editorial policy of the Dispatch, Isaac W. Litchfield was a partner with him in its business from 1889 to 1894, and much of the reputation of theDispatchis due to his bright humor and facile pen.

CORNWALL PAPERS.

Cornwall, or rather Cornwall-on-Hudson, has had its full share of journalistic ups and downs. Through the courtesy of L. G. Goodenough, editor and proprietor of theLocal-Pressof that place, the writer learns that the first paper, probably, issued in that interesting old town appeared April 15, 1871. It was calledThe Cornwall Paper:"A Local Record of Things New and Old." It was published by P. P. Hazen, of Cornwall, in conjunction with A. A. Bensel, Ferry Building, Newburgh. It was stipulated, in the editorial announcement, that unless the necessary support in the way of subscriptions, etc., was received, the project would have to be abandoned. Mr. Goodenough has a copy of Volume 1, No. 1, ofThe Cornwall Paper,and as no other number seems to be in existence, it is assumed the requisite "support" never materialized, and that the paper practically "died aborning."

To a woman belongs the credit of having started the first regularly issued paper in this village.The Cornwall Timesappeared May 24, 1875, with Miss S. J. A. Hussey, a highly educated woman, as editor and proprietor. TheTimeswas continued for at least six years, and with credit to herself and to Cornwall. Miss Hussey died February 21, 1898, aged seventy-nine years. Her declining days were passed practically as a recluse in a cabin on Round Top Mountain, which she owned, and where she seemed to be happiest, efforts of relatives to persuade her to live with them proving unavailing.

TheCornwall Reflectorwas started about 1877 by John Lee, and later was edited by H. H. Snelling, an elderly gentleman of ability and a forceful writer. He continued as editor for ten years, and until failing eyesight forced him to retire, and he went to a St. Louis home for the blind, where he died in the early nineties, after having become totally blind.

In 1879 appeared theCornwall Mirror.It was published at Highland Falls by James C. Merritt, and was represented in Cornwall by various persons at different times.

In April, 1888, theCornwall Localappeared, under the management of H. A. Gates, and was an excellent paper. In September, 1889, he disposed of theLocalplant to C. P. Brate, of Albany, who induced his brother-in-law, Thomas Pendell, to become its editor and publisher. In June, 1892, the paper came under the present efficient management of L. G. Goodenough. Mr. Pendell became connected with the New YorkHerald,later with the MiddletownSunday Forum,which he removed to Massena, N. Y., whence he went to Peekskill and then to Poughkeepsie. For the past fifteen years theLocalhas been conducted by L. G. Goodenough, and is a particularly handsome, bright and ably-edited local journal. Practically the paper's former politics was classed as "independent." In 1896 Mr. Goodenough made it distinctly and avowedly republican, and, as such, it has become an influential member of the county's republican press. In 1859 Mr. Goodenough purchased Mr. Merritt'sCornwall Mirror,merging it with theLocal.Recently the nameLocal-Presswas adopted as more significant of a newspaper than the nameLocal.TheLocal-Pressis an eight-page weekly, issued Thursdays at $1.50 a year, and with an average circulation for the year 1907 of 1,225 copies.

In October, 1898, S. T. Morehouse started a paper known as theCornwall Courier.It was conducted by Mr. Morehouse, by his son Claude, by the well-known writer Creswell MacLaughlin, Bernard Call, Clark J. Brown, Clayton Brown, and William Clark. It lived until 1906.

WALDEN NEWSPAPERS.

Walden has two good, newsy weekly papers. So far as the writer can ascertain the first paper started there was by Stephen H. Sayer, who, at Middletown, in 1866, started theRising Sun,and at Montgomery theWallkill Valley Times(1868), and theDollar Weekly(1869). Mr. Sayer started at Walden in 1869 theWalden Recorder,but suffered it to go down. In 1870 Chauncey B. Reed resumed its publication and called it theWalden Recorder and Herald,but subsequently dropped theRecorder,and it has since appeared as theWalden Herald.It is now edited by Ward Winfield. It is a well-printed seven-column folio, and devoted entirely to local and general news.

TheWalden Citizen wasestablished in 1887 by Jacob Sears, and had its first home over John Simpson's cigar store. The outfit consisted of a Washington hand press and a small quantity of type. After struggling a year, the ownership passed into the hands of a Mr. Scudder, and the plant was removed to the top floor of what is now the Fowler building. Soon afterward Eugen Abel, a practical printer, and Prof. D. C. Dominick, principal of the high school, purchased the concern, enlarged the paper and plant, and were getting the business on a profitable basis when, in 1898, a fire swept everything away. The paper was revived, however, and soon afterward Whitfield Gibbs became owner of the plant and speedily put the paper on solid footing and made it a leading republican paper. John Barringer succeeded Mr. Gibbs, and since March, 1903, the Rev. J. H. Reid has been editor and publisher. The paper is republican in politics, and Mr. Reid makes it a lively publication.

MISCELLANEOUS.

It is not generally known that for two years (1884-1886) theUnited States Official Postal Guidefor New York City was printed in Orange County. A. M. May & Co. had the contract and the printing was done by William H. Nearpass at thePort Jervis Gazetteoffice.

Of the papers at Pine Bush, Monroe, Washingtonville and Chester, mention has already been made.

In the number of publications Newburgh leads with about forty publications or changes from one to another; Middletown comes next with 22, Port Jervis with 15, Goshen with 13, and Montgomery with 7.

Bloomingburg is in Sullivan County. So is New Vernon. But each is on the south slope of the Shawangunk range and on the Shawangunk Kill, which divides the counties of Orange and Sullivan. In each place there was once a paper that practically was an Orange County production, and depended to a greater or less extent on this county for its support. The first was theSigns of the Timesin about 1883. The other was theSullivan Whigat Bloomingburg, in 1846. The former was Elder Beebe's Old School Baptist organ; the latter John W. Hasbrouck found at Bloomingburg in 1846, where he began to learn the printing trade.

INCIDENTS.

As an auxiliary incident of Orange County journalism, it may not be entirely out of place to record some facts regarding journalism in Pike County, Pa., opposite Port Jervis. In 1846 or 1847 James J. McNally removed the material of theGoshen Sentinelto Milford, in Pike County, and started thePike County Democrat,July 14, 1849. It was a seven-column folio. In 1852 he changed its name to theMilford Herald.Some time afterward John M. Heller purchased the plant, and put in charge John B. Adams and Harry Heller, the son of J. M. Heller. It passed to several owners, and when O. H. Mott took it, in January 1, 1878, he for some unknown reason changed its name to theMilford Dispatch,which it remains, and now, 1908, it is edited by Josiah F. Terwilliger.

But the first paper in Milford wasThe Eagle of the North,in 1827, with T. A. Wells, printer. In 1828 it becameThe Northern Eagle and Milford Monitor,under Benjamin A. Bidwell. Somewhere between 1831 and 1840 the paper disappeared. A secondNorthern Eagleappeared February 6, 1864, started by Dr. Edward Halliday. It was a red-hot republican journal, and, as might be inferred, had a small constituency in that land of 991 democratic and only a few republican voters, and it died January 1, 1866.

MORE OR LESS PERSONAL.

Orange County's pioneer journalists have been gathered to their fathers. Of the second generation there remains one—as if to link the memories of the first with the fast-reclining activities of the third generation of newspaper workers. And that one relic of the dead past is a woman, now in the sunset of life. Dr. Lydia Saver Hasbrouck is with us yet; a landmark in Orange County journalism—honored by those who know her best, beloved by kindred, respected by all. The twilight of her years is closing pleasantly at her beautiful home on Linden avenue, Middletown.

Of the third generation but few remain of printers, reporters, editors, publishers. The frosts of many winters have silvered their heads, but the "strength of years" finds a few of them still struggling with the insatiable demand of modern type-setting appliances for "copy" and the bustle and rush of daily newspaper life.

At this point it is interesting to take a look at the individuals, the characters—the men and women who have been on the scene of action, and who are there now. We have examined their work—the news and other papers and publications they have produced; we have scanned them in the best light afforded, refracted and reflected, and to know somewhat of those who, in their own and often crude way wrought these paper tablets of thought, let us again look over the field.

MANDEVILLE AND WESTCOTT—The first names to appear—the first characters to attract our attention—are those of David Mandeville and David M. Westcott as publishers of theGoshen Repository(1788), "at the Academy." What relations they had with the old Goshen Academy, or why theRepositorywas started "at the Academy" is not apparent. Victor M. Drake wrote from his recollections that David M. Westcott "was a practical printer and editor, who served a portion of his time in Benjamin Franklin's old printing office in Philadelphia, though, of course, not under Franklin's mastership. He was born in Cornwall of humble parentage, and in early life was apprenticed to a farmer, and afterward learned the printer's trade. His wife was the daughter of Coe Gale, one of the early settlers of Goshen, by whom he had five daughters and three sons, Mandeville, Nathan, and William. Nathan was clerk of Orange County from 1844 to 1855. David M. Prescott," continues Mr. Drake's recollections, "was not only a good practical printer, but a good merchant and farmer, an able editor, and a trustworthy public servant; he was county clerk in 1815 and 1821, member of assembly in 1828, state senator in 1831-34, and filled many other stations of honor and trust. He acted as editor of theIndependent Republicanfor a long time after Mr. Cheevey was struck down with paralysis. I have repeatedly called him from his labors on the farm to write editorials for theRepublican," says Mr. Drake, "for such was the high state of party feeling that its public would trust no other man than 'little Dave Westcott' with the responsibility of editing that paper in critical election times." Such, then, was the character and standing of the first editor in Orange County. That he was a man whose character, whose personality, and whose extraordinary abilities stand clearly silhouetted against Time's somber background, is apparent to the reader and the student of history.

CAREY, LUCIUS—The name of Lucius Carey appears next as the printer of theNewburgh Packetin 1795. Beyond the announcement that he was the son-in-law of the Rev. John Close, he cuts no illustrious figure.

DENNISTON, DAVID—David Denniston appears on the scene in 1797 as the purchaser of thePacketfrom Carey, and as changing the name to that ofThe Mirror.He was early in the field as a printer, having a shop in Newburgh in 1796, when he got out a bound pamphlet or book for the Rev. R. Watson, entitled "An Apology for the Bible." Mr. Ruttenber says he was of the New Windsor stock of Dennistons. Mr. Denniston was certainly a busy man, and a thinker. He died in Newburgh, December 13, 1803, of malignant fever, having up to that time been connected, at different times, from 1796 or earlier, to 1803, with theAmerican Citizen and Watch-Tower,of New York City, andThe Mirror, The Citizen,and theRights of Man,in Newburgh.


Back to IndexNext