Chapter 38

Fred C. Cary, the younger son of Dr. Isaac Cary, is a resident of Warwick, and prominent in its business and public affairs. He was educated in Warwick and a few weeks before the graduation of his class in Warwick Institute was offered a clerkship in the First National Bank of Warwick. This was in 1881, and he was then only sixteen years of age. His faithfulness and ability in the bank are attested by the facts that in 1890, at the age of twenty-five, he was made its cashier, and later one of its directors, which office he still holds to the satisfaction of business associates and bank patrons. The year that he was promoted to cashier he was also appointed clerk of the village and clerk of the water-works, and these positions he has continuously retained. He has been a member of Warwick's board of education several years and served as president two years, and is a director in the Warwick Valley Telephone Company and the Warwick, Monroe and Chester Building and Loan Association.

ADELBERT L. CASE—Plattsburgh, Erie County, N. Y., February 3, 1877, were the place and time of Mr. Case's birth. His parents were Dell and Sarah J. Case, and they had one other child, Pearl. A part of the son's education was obtained in the Franklin Institute in Delaware County. For some years he assisted his father in his hotel, and then engaged in the restaurant business in Greenville, Pa. He has been landlord of the Burnside Inn near Burnside, Orange County, since July 2, 1904. He is a zealous and active democrat, a member of the B. P. O. E. No. 145, of Greenville, Pa., and of No. 805 Chenango F. O. Eagles, of the same place. He is a lover of good horses and is owner of Fleetwood, No. 37,907, trial 2:30, when two years old, and of Baron Sturdy. Mr. Case is a Methodist and his wife an Episcopalian. He married, at East Sidney, Delaware County, February 28, 1903, Miss Jennie A. Floyd. Their son, Howard L., is two years of age.

WILLIAM F. CASSEDY, attorney, was born in Newburgh. N. Y.. October 4, 1862; he graduated from the Newburgh Academy in 1880; graduate of Cornell University in 1884; entered law office of A. S. Cassedy in the same year, and was admitted to the bar in 1886. January, 1887, he became a member of the firm of A. S. and W. F. Cassedy, which continued until the death of A. S. Cassedy, April 29, 1896. Formed partnership with Hon. Charles F. Brown, ex-justice Supreme Court, under firm name of Brown & Cassedy, January, 1897, which partnership is now existing. Mr. Cassedy is local counsel for the West Shore Division N. Y. C. &. H. R. R. Co. He is a director of the Quassaick National Bank of Newburgh; a trustee of the Newburgh Savings Bank; of Washington's Headquarters and Cedar Hill Cemetery Association; member of the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands; member of vestry of St. George's Church; ex-president and now director and vice-president of the Powelton Club; director of Newburgh City Club; non-resident member of the University and Transportation Clubs, New York City. Mr. Cassedy married Miss Frances M., daughter of James A. Townsend. They have two children—J. Townsend and William F., Jr.

CHARLES E. CASTERLIN was born at Rockport, Sussex County, N. J., May 25, 1854, and received his schooling at Unionville, Orange County, where his parents lived many years. About 1875 he went to Middletown and worked two years in the dry goods store of B. C. Woodward & Co., removing to Little Falls, Passaic County, N. J., where he clerked in a grocery store, after which he conducted a grocery of his own until 1888, when he returned to Unionville and managed the Minisink Hotel two years. While in Little Falls he served as town clerk for five terms. He purchased the American House at High Bridge, N. J., remained there one and a half years, and in October, 1893, returned to Orange County and purchased the Aspell Hotel in Florida, which he still operates, and which is said to be the oldest hotel in Orange County. He is a member of Star Lodge No. 113, K. of P., of Clinton, N. J., and of Shabbekong Tribe No. 46, of Junction, N. J.

January 14, 1880, he married Mary E. Kellogg, of Little Falls. Of their three children one only is living—Harold M., born October 15, 1887.

Richard Casterlin, his father, was born at Rockport, N. J., August 10, 1828, conducted a large wagon shop at Unionville, N. Y., and in 1874 opened the Minisink Hotel, which he still conducts. His mother, whose maiden name was Mahala Rogers, was born in Rockport, June 7, 1830. They had five children, three of whom are dead. The father is living in Butler, N. J., with his other son, Fred, who conducts a hotel.

R. HARRY CATHCART, JR., president and treasurer of the Yuess Gardens Company, was born in Newburgh, N. Y., in 1884. After graduating from the Newburgh Academy he attended the Wilson Preparatory School and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1907 with the degree of B. S. C. Mr. Cathcart is a member of Delta Upsilon Fraternity and of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Consistory and Mecca Temple of the Masonic Order; Lawson Hose Company No. 5; Company E, First Regiment; Atena Boat Club.

The greenhouses of the Yuess Gardens Company have a glass roofage of some 35,000 square feet and are the most pretentious in Orange County.

JOSEPH CHADWICK, manufacturer and bank president, Newburgh, N. Y., born Heywood, Lancashire, England, October 24, 1841; educated at Townhead, Rochdale, Lancashire. He acquired a practical knowledge of the present business in Manchester and at his father's cotton spinning mill at Rochdale. In 1865 he came to America and secured a position with the Boiling Spring Bleaching, Dyeing & Finishing Company, Rutherford, N. J., and soon afterward arranged for a lease of the concern and was in charge of the plant from 1868 to 1878. He was identified with educational, church and public affairs of the community. In 1871 the site of the Newburgh Bleachery was purchased by the Messrs. Chadwick and the present buildings successively appeared, which are among the largest and best equipped of the kind in the country, bleaching and finishing the finest cotton fabrics made. Mr. Chadwick is president of the company and head of the firm of Joseph Chadwick & Sons.

Mr. Chadwick has been a resident of Newburgh since 1878, occupying a prominent position in business and social circles; for many years a trustee and vice-president of the Newburgh Savings Bank. He was elected president of that institution in 1906. Member of the Merchants' Club of New York and the Powelton and Wheelmen's Club of Newburgh, and one of the incorporators of the Newburgh City Club. Mr. Chadwick married Margaret, daughter of William Smith, of Manchester, England, a prominent bleacher, dyer and finisher of cotton goods. Four sons and one daughter have been born to them.

GEORGE W. CHRISTIE was born on a farm near Unionville, October 17, 1836, and died at his home at Pine Island, April 19, 1907. His early education was obtained in district and private schools, and he assisted his father on the farm until he was twenty-eight, being one of eleven children born to Samuel and Jane Elston Christie. He conducted a summer hotel at Rutherford, N. J., and afterward became manager of creameries at Unionville, Slate Hill and New Milford. He continued in this service eight years when, his health becoming impaired, in 1885 he purchased a farm at Pine Island, where he lived the remaining twenty-three years of his life. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Amity. In politics he was a republican. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Kelly, of Port Jervis, November 15, 1865. Their two children are Sarah Adele, born August 19, 1872, and Samuel Hayne, born March 20, 1874. Samuel's education, after he left the district school, was obtained in the Peddie Institute, of Heightstown, N. J., Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, from which he graduated, and the New York Law School, where he studied two years. He was also in Judge John J. Beattie's office at Warwick one year. He was admitted to the bar in 1900, and practiced law in New York City two years.

CLARK BROTHERS, general merchants at Thompson's Ridge, town of Crawford, purchased in 1897 the business of J. Erskine Ward. In addition to a general store they are also dealers in coal and feed. The firm is composed of Theodore G. and George H. Clark, sons of Joseph H. and Mary (Hunter) Clark.

Joseph Clark was for many years actively identified with local affairs, holding the office of town clerk and justice of the peace. His father, Ira Clark, married Eliza Barkley. He taught school for a time at Searsville, and then purchased the farm which became the family homestead. For thirteen years he was superintendent of schools. He also held the office of town clerk and served as justice of the peace. Religiously he was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and for years was a trustee of the same. His death occurred in 1883, in his eighty-sixth year.

H. N. CLARK, who is a native of Cornwall and has been engaged in the retail drug trade in that village since 1877, is one of its most substantial and honored citizens. He purchased the business from Clark and Vail, who established the store in 1870. Mr. Clark has for many years been prominently identified with public affairs in Cornwall. He has served as treasurer of the village since 1885 and is also treasurer of the school board. He is one of the trustees of Cornwall Savings Bank. Socially he is connected with the Knights of Pythias.

HULET D. CLARK, for many years a progressive farmer and representative business man of the town of Minisink, was born in Sussex County, N. J., in 1835 and died April 2, 1897.

In 1860 he purchased a farm in Mount Hope, and six years later bought one hundred and fifteen acres in the town of Minisink, near Westtown, where he resided to the time of his death. In 1885 his son, Clarence, established a flour and feed store in the village of Johnson under the firm name of C. G. Clark & Co. The venture proved successful and branches were started at Unionville, Slate Hill and Westtown.

In 1867 Mr. Clark married Margaret, daughter of James G. Swartwout, of Port Jervis, a direct descendant of Roeloff Swartwout, who came from Holland and settled at Kingston, N. Y., in 1655. Five children were born, of whom Clarence G. was the third in order of birth. He resides in Westtown, conducting an extensive flour, feed and coal business, in addition to a three-hundred-acre farm. He married Mary, daughter of H. Reeves Horton. They are the parents of two children, Hulet D. and Julia K.

JAMES ALONZO CLARK was born March 26, 1845, at Middletown, Orange County. His early education was acquired at the public school and at the age of fifteen he began his business career by clerking for Alexander Wilson, of Middletown, remaining there two years. In June, 1862, he became clerk in the hardware store of Scott Brothers, remaining with this concern through various changes until he became a member of the firm in 1879. The firm at that period was Vail, Brink & Clark. In 1884 the senior member of the firm sold out and the firm then became Brink & Clark, which name it has since retained. He married Mrs. Emma (Cole) Dunning in 1887. One child was born to this union, Mildred Murray, born October 23, 1888. Mr. Clark is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. & A. M.; Midland Chapter, R. A. M.; Cyprus Commandery No. 67, and the Knights of Pythias. He takes an interest in the Sons of the Revolution and is identified with the Middletown Savings Bank as trustee. Since 1865 he has been connected with the Excelsior Hook and Ladder Company, of Middletown.

ROBERT H. CLARK, supervisor of the town of Minisink, was born near Westtown. He is a son of Hon. William Harvey and Emily A. (Robertson) Clark. He has always engaged in the management of his farm of one hundred and sixty-seven acres. Politically he is a firm believer in the principles of the democratic party. His first public office was that of postmaster, during Cleveland's second term. He was elected supervisor in 1903, re-elected in 1905 and again in 1907. Socially Mr. Clark is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Minisink Grange.

William H. Clark, father of our subject, was born in 1829 and died in 1907. He represented the Second District of Orange County in the New York Legislature in 1881-82. He was supervisor of the town of Minisink a number of terms and chairman of the board in 1876. He was one of the incorporators of the Middletown, Unionville and Water Gap Railroad, and held the office of treasurer many years. He also served twelve years as trustee of the Middletown Asylum and was prominently identified with public and business affairs of his native town and county, enjoying the highest esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.

WILLARD M. CLARK, supervisor of the town of Wallkill, was born at Salem, N. J., August 23, 1861. Shortly after his birth his father removed to Greenville, Orange County, and in the district schools of that town Willard received his early educational training. He later attended the Albany Normal College, from which he was graduated in 1884. Mr. Clark has taught school continuously since 1880, and served six years as school commissioner, following his election to that office in 1890. Mr. Clark also owns and conducts a farm on the state road near Middletown, to which he removed in 1890, coming from Greenville. He was elected a member of the county board of supervisors in the fall of 1907. He married Mamie Clark, of Greenville, and they have a daughter, Ethel. William L. Clark, the father of our subject, was prominent in the social and political life of Greenville. He served as county supervisor for fourteen years and for many years as town clerk.

HENRY P. CLAUSON, who for a quarter of a century has been prominently identified with public affairs in Orange County, was born in New Jersey in 1842. He came to Newburgh in 1868 and located on a farm a few miles northwest of that city, where he has achieved much success in dairying and fruit growing, his farm lands covering over three hundred and fifty acres.

Firmly believing in the principles of the democratic party, Mr. Clauson was elected supervisor of the town of Newburgh in 1878, and re-elected in 1879 and 1880. In 1885 he was elected to the office of sheriff, serving through the years 1886, 1887 and 1888. In the latter year he was a delegate to the national democratic convention at St. Louis, which nominated Grover Cleveland. In 1900 Mr. Clauson was again elected supervisor, serving continuously until 1906. In 1907 he received the democratic nomination for the office of county treasurer.

Mr. Clauson married Miss Mary E. Monell. They have three children living: John, Charlotte (now the wife of V. J. Kohl) and Harry.

ISAAC COCHRAN, son of Alexander and Margaret (Greery) Cochran, was born in the town of Newburgh, October 29, 1823. He was educated in the schools and academy of Newburgh. In 1839 he accompanied his parents to New York City and engaged with his father in a grocery and tea business on Broadway and Twenty-first street, where he remained until 1860. He then embarked in the manufacture of carriages in New York, where for a number of years he carried on a successful business. In 1866 he returned to Newburgh and settled on a farm adjoining the place of his birth. In 1887 he removed to his present home, corner of Powell avenue and North street, where he lives in comparative retirement. Mr. Cochran assisted in the organization of the Columbus Trust Company in 1892, of which he has since been a director. In 1850 Mr. Cochran married Miss Rachel Sommerville. She died in 1891. Seven children blessed this union. Mr. Cochran has been an elder in the Reformed Presbyterian Church since 1868 and has served as superintendent of the Sunday-school over thirty years.

CHARLES C. COCKS, senior member of the grocery firm of C. E. Cocks Sons, was born in Cornwall, N. Y., where he has always resided. He is a son of Charles E. and Margaret (Campbell) Cocks, natives of the town of Monroe, Orange County. The business was established by his father at Cornwall Landing in 1850, and our subject has been interested in it since 1870. In 1900 he and his brother, Isaac M., succeeded to the business. Mr. Cocks has served as trustee of the village and school boards and is a director of the Cornwall Savings Bank, of which his father was the president for many years. He is also vice-president of the Cornwall Realty and Improvement Company.

WILLIAM HENRY CODDINGTON was born in Ulsterville, Ulster County, N. Y., June 15, 1872, and was one of five children, whose parents were William Henry and Susan Coddington. After attending the district school he assisted his father on the farm and was engaged at blacksmithing for six months. In 1893 he became connected with the New York Condensed Milk Company, now known as the Borden Condensed Milk Company, and was gradually promoted from the position of helper to foreman, at Johnsons, N. Y. In 1905 he was transferred to the Burnside Creamery and is now its superintendent. In politics he is a democrat and is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M., of Middletown. He married Miss Delia Louise Bennett, of South Centerville, June 26, 1901, and they have three children, Frank M., Florence Elizabeth, and Ralph B. Mrs. Coddington is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of South Centerville.

THOMAS COLDWELL, who at the time of his death in 1905 was the oldest manufacturer of Lawn Mowers in America, was born in Staleybridge, Lancashire, England, in 1838, and came to this country at a very early age. His first employment was with John and William Rothery, who operated a file shop in Matteawan, N. Y. He was later employed by H. W. Swift, who had a machine shop at Wiccapee, in the town of Fishkill, and who was experimenting in the manufacture of lawn mowers fashioned after Budding's grass cutters manufactured in England. Mr. Coldwell, who was endowed with genius for invention, actually made the first lawn mower produced by Mr. Swift. He became associated with Mr. George L. Chadborn, who was also in the employ of Mr. Swift, and in 1868 Mr. Coldwell, with the assistance of Mr. Chadborn, invented a new lawn mower, resulting in the formation of the Chadborn & Coldwell Mfg. Co., at Newburgh, N. Y., with Mr. Coldwell as president, which continued until 1891, when Mr. Coldwell organized the Coldwell Lawn Mower Co., mention of which appears elsewhere in this work. Suffice it to say that their daily output approximates seven hundred complete mowers for each working day in the year and it is the largest plant in the world devoted to the manufacture of these machines.

In this connection it is interesting to note briefly the history of lawn mowers. There is some doubt who was the original inventor. An old document has been found in the United States Patent Office, dated 1825, which shows that one James Ten Eyk, of Bridgewater, N. J., invented a mowing machine. It was simple, having a box like a wagon box, with the forward end open, furnished with two shafts, one at the front end, on which were placed the revolving cutters, and the other above the center of the box on which were the driving wheels, and on which the box was hung. The driving shaft had on it two drive pulleys corresponding with two smaller ones on the cutter shaft and the two were connected by means of two rope belts. It was a revolving-cutter field mower, and is the first revolving cutter of which any record can be found, but the inventor did not claim that it was a lawn mower. The next authentic record of a revolving-cutter mower was one invented by Edwin Budding, of Stroud, Gloucestershire, England. Budding was born near Stroud in 1796. He was evidently an inventor, draftsman and mechanic of considerable ability. He invented the Budding wrench and various machines for use in the manufacture of woolen cloth. He was superintendent for the late George Lister, a manufacturer of Dursley, England. P. A. Lister (son of George), who succeeded his father (and from whom many of these facts regarding Budding emanate), stated that there was no doubt but that Budding took the idea of the lawn mower from a cloth clipping machine. He was granted a patent for his new invention, dated October 25, 1830, and a circular owned by Mr. Budding's daughter, dated 1830, shows that he sold three sizes of lawn mowers, manufactured by John Farrabee near Stroud. These facts leave no doubt that to Budding belongs the credit of producing the first lawn mower.

Previous to 1855 probably all lawn mowers used in America were of English make. A few years prior to this Mr. H. W. Sargent, of Fishkill, received a mower from England and sent it to Mr. Swift to be repaired, and it was upon Mr. Sargent's suggestion that Mr. Swift began the manufacture of these machines. His circular, dated 1835, states that he made four sizes ranging in price from $30 to $80. For a number of years Mr. Swift had a monopoly of the lawn mower trade in this country.

About 1868 the Hills Lawn Mower Co. was started in Hartford, Conn. They made the Archimedian Mower. It was the first machine made with only two revolving cutter blades, and sold for $45. Other manufacturers were Graham, Emlen & Passmore, of Philadelphia, who produced the first side-wheel mower. In 1885 some patents on the best mowers expired and many small manufacturers sprang up in all parts of the country, who have contented themselves by making the cheaper grades. A few lawn mowers are made in Canada, Germany and France, but the United States produces four-fifths of all lawn mowers made in the world, and they are exported to every part of the globe.

The business established by Thomas Coldwell is now continued by his two sons, William H. and Harry T., both of whom were brought up in the lawn mower business by their father. He is also survived by a widow and daughter, the latter the wife of Mr. E. C. Ross, who is associated with the Coldwell Brothers in the lawn mower industry.

GALEN COLEMAN was born near Mount Hope, Orange County, N. Y., December 31, 1859. His parents were Alfred and Catherine Coleman. His education was obtained at Mount Hope, and at an early age he learned the trade of blacksmith, which he followed some time. He removed to Middletown, and learned the machinist trade, which business he has since followed. He married Mary Alice Coleman, of Wantage, N. J., who was born March 19, 1852. Their marriage occurred at Spartanburg, S. C., January 7, 1880. Their one child, Frank Edson, was born August 29, 1882. He married Eva M. Birtwistle, of Middletown, June 5, 1907. Father and son are independent in politics and members of Lodge No. 169, K. of P., of Middletown.

WILLIAM M. COLLARD was born in the town of Warwick, Orange County, N. Y., August 14, 1857. His father was Jerome and mother Mary E. (Hallock) Collard. The subject of this sketch attended the district school at Greenwood Lake, and afterward worked on his father's farm. He learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for ten years. He was married to Mary E. Robets, of Bull's Mills, in 1879. Socially, he is a member of Wallkill Grange, and Protective Home Circle. He was previously a member of the Maccabees. He is a democrat, taking an active interest in local politics. Mr. Collard has been in the grocery business for some years. He owns two hundred acres of land near Greenwood Lake, and recently there has been discovered a fine grade of mica on his farm, which has been leased to parties, who have commenced operating the mines.

EDWARD J. COLLINS, attorney of Newburgh, was born in Port Jervis, N. Y., 1876. He was educated at Port Jervis Academy and the law department of Cornell University, from which he graduated in 1898. Then he entered the law office of Hon. A. H. F. Seeger, and was admitted to the bar in 1899. In November, 1905, Mr. Collins was elected on the republican ticket member of the common council, of which he was later president. Mr. Collins is a member of various social and fraternal organizations, including the City and Powelton Clubs and New York State Bar Association.

H. D. COMFORT, manufacturer of ice cream at Newburgh, was born in the town of Crawford, Orange County, N. Y., and is a son of the late Daniel H. Comfort. Mr. Comfort was formerly engaged in the creamery and ice cream business in New York City, and in 1900 established his business in Newburgh, in which he has been very successful. His plant is located on an acre and a half of ground on South street near West street, and covers an area of 170 by 75 feet. Steam and electric power are utilized, and machines with a capacity of forty quarts of ice cream every six minutes are in operation. A plant on Robinson avenue is operated during the winter months. Mr. Comfort gives employment to ten men and his product finds a ready market throughout the Hudson Valley. Socially he is identified with the F. and A. M. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Schaefer, daughter of Jacob Schaefer, of Montgomery, N. Y. Two boys and two girls have been born to them. J. Edmund is engaged in business with his father.

DANIEL G. COMINGS, of Middletown, was born May 17, 1850, in Sussex County, N. J. His parents were Gilman Taylor and Rhoda (Worthington) Comings. To this union were born six children, two of whom are living, Daniel G. and Mrs. Elvira La Forge, who resides at Metuchen, N. J. Daniel attended the district school, where he acquired his education. When he was thirteen years of age he commenced working on a farm until he was twenty-one years old. He then learned the millwright trade, which he followed for twenty-two years. In November, 1878, he removed to Orange County, locating at Middletown, and followed his trade, also engaging in the wholesale and retail ice business and retail coal business, which he has conducted for sixteen years. He married Louisa C. Smith, of Newark, N. J., July 9, 1884. Their four children are Mary Viola, Bertha L., Florence A. and William D. Bertha is a pupil at the Oswego Normal School; the others reside at home. In politics Mr. Comings is a prohibitionist and he and his wife are members of St. Paul's Methodist Church at Middletown, N. Y.

THOMAS CONDON, who for many years has been identified with the public affairs of Walden, was born in the town of Montgomery in 1865. He attended the schools of his native place and has been a resident of Walden thirty years, during which time he has served as assessor of the town of Montgomery seven years, assessor of the village three years, trustee six years, and president of the village in 1902, under the old charter by appointment of the board of trustees. He was elected to this office in 1906, and re-elected without opposition in 1907. He is a member of the Red Men, Foresters of America and Elks. Mr. Condon is regarded as a faithful official and public-spirited citizen.

GEORGE RENSSELAER CONKLIN, one of Orange County's representative citizens and merchants, residing at Monroe, N. Y., was born in this town in 1843, a son of Rensselaer C. and Mary E. (Howzer) Conklin. After finishing his studies Mr. Conklin went to New York in 1860, where he was engaged in business until 1865. He then spent two years in the Lake Superior iron district, and in 1868 returned to Monroe and has been engaged mainly in the coal and feed business. He is senior partner in the firms of Conklin & Roe, of Chester; Conklin & Cummins, of Goshen; Conklin & Strong, of Warwick; Paddleford & Co., of Monroe, and C. T. Nott, of Vernon, N. J. He is president of the Groves Product Company, of Jersey City; president of the Monroe Lake Realty Company, secretary of the Warwick, Monroe and Chester Building and Loan Association, and a director of the Highland Telephone Company. Mr. Conklin has served as a member of the Monroe board of education for some twenty years. Socially he is identified with the Masonic fraternity. He has been twice married, his first wife being Miss Isabella Roberts, whom he married in 1869. In 1885 he chose for his second wife Miss Mary E., daughter of the late Chauncey B. Knight. By his enterprise and energy Mr. Conklin has achieved a large measure of financial success and, coupled with a genial disposition, he retains the highest esteem of his fellow-citizens.

MILTON C. CONNER, M.D., was born on a farm near Scotchtown, town of Wallkill, September 6, 1853. He attended the Wallkill Academy at Middletown, and then entered the Fort Edward Institute, and later was a student in the Caze-novia Seminary, spending two years in each institution. Meantime he taught school at Fort Ann, N. Y. Dr. Conner entered the Detroit Medical College, remaining there two years, after which he became a student in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York City, and graduated in 1883 with the degree of M.D. Shortly afterwards he opened an office in Middletown, N. Y., where he has since resided. He is a member of the State and County Medical Society and has been a member for the past eighteen years of the American Medical Association. He is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. and A. M., of Middletown, and Midland Chapter No. 240, R. A. M. In politics he is a republican. Dr. Conner was united in marriage with Miss Frances Adelaide Cox, of Middletown.

MATHIEW GRANT COOPER was born February 4, 1865, at Glenwood, N. J., and, after his district school education, followed the occupation of farming six years, after which he engaged in the meat business for eight years. He then worked at Franklin Furnace, N. J., two years. He returned to Eden Station, Orange County, in 1900, and was engaged at the Empire State Dairy Company three years, and three years more for the Haynes Milk Company. The latter was absorbed by the Borden Company, when Mr. Cooper was appointed superintendent, and has continued in the position since. His wife's maiden name was Clara (Van Sickle) Slaughter, of Eden, and they were married December 14, 1904. Their one child is Gerald Frank, born June 29, 1905. Mr. Cooper is a member of Minisink Council No. 53, Jr. O. U. A. M.

PROFESSOR SANFORD A. CORTRIGHT, of Westtown, N. Y., was born in the town of Greenville, Orange County, in 1858. He is a son of Alfred and Margaret (Elston) Cortright. He attended the district schools of his native town, which was supplemented by four years of private tutoring. He graduated from the Albany Normal School and has been engaged in educational work twenty-four years. He has been principal of the Westtown school since 1890. Professor Cortright is a member of the Odd Fellows, the Junior Order of American Mechanics and the Minisink Grange. In 1893 he was united in marriage with Miss Emma, daughter of Rensselaer and Rachael (Weygant) McKelvey. One child, Alfred, has blessed this union.

JOHN B. CORWIN, attorney of Newburgh, was born at Middletown, N. Y., February 3, 1876, and removed from there to the Corwin homestead, Balmville, in 1884. He graduated from the Newburgh Academy in 1892, supplemented with a course at the Spencerian Business College. Mr. Corwin read law with the late L. W. Y. McCroskery for two years, and in 1896 entered the office of the late L. S. Sterrit. He was admitted to the bar in 1897. He has also been admitted to practice in the Federal Courts. Mr. Corwin was managing clerk for Mr. Sterrit ten years, and following the death of Mr. Sterrit in April, 1907, he succeeded to his practice.

JOHN ISAAC COTTER, M.D., although only twenty-six years of age, has an established and growing practice at Campbell Hall, where he resides, and is well known to the medical profession both within and outside of Orange County. He was born at Jackson's Corners, Dutchess County, August 22, 1881. When he left the district school at the age of twelve, he went to Poughkeepsie, and there attended the grammar and high schools, graduating from the latter in 1900. He took a course of four years in the Albany Medical College, from which he graduated in 1904, and then devoted one year to work in the Albany Hospital. After this thorough preparation he started professional practice at Campbell Hall in 1905. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus No. 304, Florentine Council, of Poughkeepsie, the Nu Sigma Nu Medical Fraternity, the Orange County Medical Society, the Newburgh Bay Medical Society, the Middletown Medical Society, the M. P. S. of Northern Dutchess and Southern Columbia Counties, the New York State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. Dr. Cotter is a lover of good horses, and owns several, among them Bessie H., whose trial mark is 2:201/2. His father, John H. Cotter, is a practicing physician in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and has another son Lawrence and daughter Mary, both of whom are attending the Poughkeepsie high school.

DANIEL J. COUTANT, of Newburgh, N. Y., bears the distinction of occupying a public office a greater length of time than any official in Orange County. He is a native of Newburgh and a son of Zachariah Coutant. After completing his studies at Claverack Institute, he became bookkeeper for the freight line of Alsdorf & Skidmore. In 1872 he was appointed city clerk by the common council, and regardless of party has been re-appointed by each succeeding mayor, covering a period of thirty-six years. Mr. Coutant is a member of Trinity M. E. Church. His father was of direct French Huguenot descent.

JOHN P. COVERT—When our Civil War came, early in 1861, John P. Covert, then a mere youth in the South, enlisted in the famous fighting regiment of "Louisiana Tigers," and fought with them. He saw the hardest service and was severely wounded in battle. When the war ended he went to Chicago, and became a successful manufacturer of tinware specialties, and after a few years retired. Soon afterward he moved to Orange County, bought the Quackenbos farm near Neelytown, now known as the Beaver Dam Farm, and proceeded to improve it so that it became one of the most attractive places in the state. The farm is rich and highly cultivated, the palatial home is surrounded by a fine grove of hundreds of sugar maples. Here Mr. Covert lived for thirty years, and became a famous breeder of the best Holstein-Friesian cattle. He sold the farm in 1901 to A. Von Kilch, and established a home in Goshen. He was a charter member of the Wallkill Farmers' Association, for several years was its vice-president and always one of its directors. Mr. Covert married Miss Jennie Ketcham, of New York City, a daughter of Enoch Ketcham, one of the leading tin and hardware dealers of the metropolis. There have been few more striking contrasts in separate periods of individual lives than that of Mr. Covert's severe service and sufferings in the bloody civil war with that of his peaceful and happy life in Orange County.

WILLIAM CRABTREE & SONS, manufacturers of worsted yarns, with factories at Montgomery and Newburgh, N. Y., is numbered among the leading industries of Orange County. The business is now conducted by Harry, Edmund, John A., William E. and Charles B., sons of the late William Crabtree, who established this business at Montgomery in 1880 in company with Mr. Arthur Patchett, under the firm name of Crabtree & Patchett. In 1897 the Newburgh plant was established. In 1902 the present firm name was adopted. Over one million pounds of wool are used annually resulting in a finished product of a half million pounds of yarn shipped to all parts of the United States. About 200 hands are given steady employment in the plants of this firm. Mr. William Crabtree was born in England in 1840 and died in England while on a visit to his old home, June, 1903. He came to America in 1864, locating at Philadelphia, where he remained until 1880. Mr. Crabtree was identified with the Masonic fraternity and member of the Reformed church. In 1867 he married Miss Harriet Patchett, daughter of Edmund and Elizabeth (Robertshaw) Patchett, all natives of England.

GEORGE W. CRIST was born February 22, 1875, on the homestead farm in the town of Hamptonburgh, and is a son of Theodore J. and Cecelia (Mapes) Crist. His early education was obtained at the Grove Street District School, and the Montgomery Academy. He has always been identified with farming. In politics Mr. Crist gives his hearty support to the democratic party and always takes an active interest in local affairs. He is at present supervisor of the town. He is past master of Goshen Lodge No. 365., F. and A. M., a member of the Midland Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Middletown, No. 240; honorary member of the Montgomery fire department, and past chief ranger of Wallkill Lodge No. 69, Foresters of America. His father Theodore was born on the same farm April 22, 1844. Five children were born in his father's family. Grant died in December, 1875; Clara L. resided at home; George, our subject; Abigail B., residing at home; Frank M. married Emily Mortimer, of Brooklyn, N. Y., and is a member of Goshen Lodge No. 365, F. and A. M. Mary Belle married Frank M. Cox, of Middletown, and died in July, 1898. The great grandfather of our subject was Nelson Crist, son of Philip Crist. Philip Crist was engaged in driving the stage coach between Goshen and Kingston in the early days.

CHARLES E. CROFTS, who has held the position as superintendent of the New York Knife Company, of Walden, since 1876, was born in Sheffield, England, where he learned the cutlery trade. In 1872 he came to America and located at Walden, where he has since devoted his time to the success of the knife works. Mr. Crofts has served as village trustee for a period of two years and as a member of the board of water and highway commissioners five years. He married Miss Emma Marsden, and twelve children have been born to them, of which three are now living. His son Arthur is engaged in business in New York City, and Emma L. is a student of the Northfield Seminary.

HARRY A. CRONK was born May 20, 1877, at Binghamton, N. Y. He attended the public schools and after his school days associated himself with H. H. Bishop, of Binghamton, in the milk business, during which time he learned the trades of cheese and butter making. He afterwards connected himself with the Standard Butter Co., of Oswego, N. Y., and was soon given charge of one of their largest factories, situated at Truxton, Cortland County, N. Y., and remained in their employ four years. He then took charge of a co-operative butter factory at Brisben, N. Y., for one year.

In 1902 he associated himself with Borden's Condensed Milk Co., and was soon promoted to the position of inspector and then to the position of superintendent of their Brisben branch; he afterwards was promoted to superintendent of the Florida branch, and is now traveling superintendent for a number of factories in Orange and Sussex counties. He married Miss Ora J. Whitlock, of Ithaca, N. Y., March 24, 1897. They have one child, Camilla Eleanor, four years old. Mr. Cronk is a member of Eastern Light Lodge No. 126, F. & A. M.

JAMES CRONON, a representative business man of Tuxedo Park, N. Y., was born and educated in New York City, and has resided in Orange County since 1876. He conducted a general store at Turners for a number of years, and was the pioneer merchant in Tuxedo village. In 1886 he established his present bakery and now carries on an extensive trade. Mr. Cronon has been clerk of the Tuxedo school district since 1891. During this period new and commodious school buildings have been erected, marking the progress of education in a modern community.

Mr. Cronon has served eighteen years as justice of the peace and one year as justice of sessions. He was collector of the old town of Monroe for two terms and also served as town clerk of that town several years. He is a charter member of Lorillard Lodge, F. and A. M.; a member of Highland Chapter and Hudson River Commandery.

It was with the aid of Josiah Patterson and his wife, Mr. Cronon had religious services held in the town hall on Sunday afternoons, the preaching being by the Methodist minister of the Sloatsburg church. This mission service finally culminated in the establishing of a Methodist congregation here.

WILLIAM L. CUDDEBACK, M.D., of Port Jervis, N. Y., is a descendant of the French-Huguenots of that name who settled in Deer Park in 1690, coming from Caudebec, on the Seine, in that part of France known in ancient days as Normandy.

Dr. Cuddeback was born in the town of Deer Park, April 26, 1854, and is the son of Elting and Ann Bevier (Elting) Cuddeback, who were the parents of six children. He received his primary education in the district schools, and later took a special two years' course in Cornell University. He took up the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Solomon Van Etten, of Port Jervis, after which he entered Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, from which he was graduated in 1876. He served as intern in Bellevue Hospital for two years, and then opened his present office in Port Jervis. In 1892, with Dr. H. B. Swartwout, he purchased the hospital in Port Jervis, and together they have conducted it to the present time. This is a general hospital and is patronized largely by Erie Railroad patients.

Dr. Cuddeback was joined in marriage with Miss Alice D. Malven on October 16, 1880. She is a daughter of George and Philenda (St. John) Malven, of Port Jervis. To our subject and wife five children have been born: Frank E., Edgar C., Elizabeth M., Alice M. and Philenda. Dr. Cuddeback is a member of the Orange County Medical Society, the National Association of Railroad Surgeons, the New York State Medical Society, and has served as pension examiner. He was president of the Board of Education from 1887 to 1892, during which time the Main street school house was erected. He has been president of the Library Board since the establishment of the Free Public Library and has served as president of the National Bank of Port Jervis since 1900.

THOMAS P. CUSHING, clerk of the town of New Windsor, and postmaster at Vail's Gate, was born in New York City, December 31, 1863. His father, James Cushing, moved to Orange County in 1871 and shortly after established a general store at Vail's Gate. He served as justice of the peace for thirty years and as postmaster eight years. By his death, which occurred in 1903, Orange County lost a prominent and useful citizen. Thomas P., after finishing his schooling, was engaged by the Erie Railroad as agent and operator, where he remained fifteen years. He was deputy postmaster seven years under his father, and in 1905 erected the building in which he continues the business established by his father.

JOHN DALES,senior member of the real estate and insurance firm of John Dales & Co., Newburgh, N. Y., was born in Delaware County in 1820, a son of John and Sarah (Cavin) Dales. In 1839 Mr. Dales came to Newburgh and entered the employ of Crawford Mailler & Co. He was engaged in mercantile pursuits at Memphis, Tenn., New York City, and Jordan, N. Y., conducting a flour mill at the latter place fifteen years.

In 1865 Mr. Dales returned to Newburgh and in company with W. O. Mailler engaged in the wholesale grocery and freighting business for several years. Since 1870 his attention has been devoted largely to real estate. In 1884 Hon. Charles D. Robinson, mayor of Newburgh, 1906 to 1908, became his business partner and is now the active head of the firm, Mr. Dales having gradually withdrawn from arduous duties.

Mr. Dales was one of the original members of the Board of Trade, a director in Quassaick National Bank, secretary of Woodlawn Cemetery Association and secretary of the Newburgh & Midland Railway Company in former years. He has also served many years as elder, trustee and treasurer of Calvary Presbyterian Church. He is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity, being a charter member of Hudson River Lodge No. 607, a Royal Arch Mason, and also belongs to Hudson River Commandery No. 35, K. T.

In 1845 Mr. Dales married Susan, daughter of Jacob Oakley. There were two children born of this marriage: William M. Dales, who died November 1, 1883, leaving a daughter, Helen M. Dales, and Mary Belknap Dales, who died January 14, 1900, leaving a daughter, Julia, from her marriage with Chas. D. Robinson.

Mrs. Susan Dales died November 24, 1890. Mr. Dales died March 26, 1908.

HERBERT S. DANA, agent for the Erie Railroad at Craigsville, N. Y., was born in Gardner, Maine, where he obtained his education at the public schools. Mr. Dana has resided in Orange County since 1893, being employed as telegraph operator in the office of the Pennsylvania Coal Company at Newburgh. He accepted his present position, January, 1907, and December of the same year was appointed postmaster. Mr. Dana is well informed on the subject of horses and has contributed news and comments to theWestern Horsemanfor a quarter of a century, and to theNewburgh NewsandGoshen Independent and Republicanfor the past fifteen years.

Mr. Dana married Miss Nellie Robinson Wheaton, of Connecticut, and they are the parents of two sons, George Stephen and Frederick Wheaton.

HENRY D'ARCY, who was associated with his brother Thomas in conducting the United States Hotel in Newburgh for some years, is a native of the town of Highland and now conducts a real estate and fire insurance business in Highland Falls. Mr. D'Arcy was the first town clerk at the time the town of Highland was divided from Cornwall. He has served at various times as assessor and road commissioner and president of the Board of Education six years.

Mr. D'Arcy has been twice married. A son was born by his first wife and a son and daughter by his second wife.

THOMAS DARLINGTON was born at Salisbury Mills, Orange County, N. Y., August 29, 1826, the son of Peter and Maria Wilde Darlington. Through his mother many lines of colonial ancestry met in him. A descendant of Deputy Governor Bishop, of Connecticut, who was secretary of that colony from 1661 to 1665; of Daniel Rayneau, the first freeholder of the Huguenot colony of New Rochelle; of Richard Wilde, Esq., of Flushing, N. Y.; and from Edward Griffin, of the Virginia colony, on his father's side he was from the Darlingtons of Yorkshire, England, and Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, who was one of the first paper manufacturers in this country, died January 21, 1851, but his mother lived to be over one hundred years of age, until August 20, 1900. He acquired his education in the local schools near at hand, graduating with highest honors, and at seventeen, by his own choice, was principal of a school in a neighboring village. Resigning his school position he went to New York City and studied law in the office of Mr. Taggart, reciting at the same time in the evenings to private tutors in Latin and philosophy. He was of a very religious temperament, being a constant attendant at church and having a Sunday-school class, of which he was very fond.

Soon after becoming an attorney and counselor-at-law he started in business for himself, and achieved a most rapid success. The firm name was Darlington, Spring & Russell, and some most important cases were entrusted to their care. When Mr. Spring died, Mr. Russell went to Cornell University as dean, and a new firm was formed of Darlington, Irving & Hoffman.

His interest in all games and amusements was great, being the amateur editor of the chess column in a New York weekly paper for some years.

In politics he was a strong abolitionist, and took an active part in the anti-slavery movement. So pronounced was his position and so well known, that on July 13, 1863, during the draft riots in New York City, a mob broke into his law offices and smashed all the furniture. Mr. Darlington afterward sued the municipality for the damage wrought, and was the first to recover in an action of this sort, the case being referred to to-day as marking a new line of municipal responsibility. As the mob was killing returned Union soldiers and hanging colored people to the lamp-posts, at his own expense he sent down a whole colored family that had been pursued, to his country home in Kingston, N. J., and kept them there some months until the danger was over.

At the time of the renomination of General Grant for a second term as President, one of the general's friends offered Mr. Darlington the appointment of chief justice of the then territory of Colorado, but he was most devoted and adhered to his friend of many years, Horace Greeley, who was the nominee of the liberal republican and democratic parties, and so the appointment was not made. He resolutely and consistently declined to engage in politics, but blamed himself for over-leniency in the case of Guiteau, who afterward shot President Garfield. Having a criminal suit against Guiteau, he had him shut up in prison, but after being there some months Guiteau wrote a most pitiful letter, saying that longer confinement meant his death, and Mr. Darlington, thinking that he had been punished enough, signed a paper consenting to his discharge. It was only a month or two after his release that he murdered President Garfield, and Mr. Darlington appeared against him as a witness at his trial.

In his religious life Mr. Darlington always attended the Presbyterian Church, and was teacher of the Bible class in the Mulberry Street Mission of the South Park Church in Newark, N. J., for years.

On August 1, 1850, he married Hannah Anne Goodliffe, daughter of James Yarrow Goodliffe, and the issue was eight children; two, Alfred Ernest and Alice, deceased, and six, James, now Protestant Episcopal bishop of Harrisburg, Pa.; Thomas, J., now president of the board of health of New York City; Charles Francis, counselor-at-law; Gustavus C., a physician; Marion Goodliffe, and Mrs. Margaret Darlington-Wilde, living. His death came suddenly, on the 18th day of May, 1903, and he was buried from the same church in which he was married, the University Place Presbyterian Church, University place and Eleventh street, New York City, from which his wife was also buried about two years before.

THOMAS DARLINGTON, M.D., was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., September 24, 1858; son of Thomas Darlington and Hannah A. (Goodliffe) Darlington. His education began in the public schools of New York and Newark, N. J., followed by a three years' scientific and engineering course at the University of the City of New York. After his graduation, he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, from which he was graduated as M.D. in 1880. He engaged in the practice of medicine at Newark, N. J., for two years, holding several hospital appointments. In 1882 he located at Kingsbridge, N. Y., and practiced there until 1904, except for two years spent in Arizona, where he was surgeon to several mining companies. He was appointed commissioner of health for the city of New York in 1904, and was reappointed for the second term in 1906. His administration has been thoroughly efficient and has demonstrated the wisdom of the selection of a trained medical man as head of the department of health of a great metropolis like New York, where the sanitary problems are necessarily very complex, and their proper solution of vital importance. Dr. Darlington has been an extensive contributor to medical literature. He is ex-president of the American Climatological Society, a member of the American Medical Association, the New York State Medical Society, the New York County Medical Society, the Medico-Legal Society, Association of the Alumni of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, American Public Health Association, Harlem Medical Association, New York Physicians' Mutual Aid Association, Medical Society of the Borough of the Bronx, Medical Association of Greater New York, Yonkers Practitioners' Society, Society of Medical Jurisprudence and Academy of Medicine; and until his appointment as health commissioner of New York, he was visiting physician to several of the hospitals of the city and consulting physician to the French Hospital. He is also a member of the Archdeaconry of New York, the Church Club of New York, Chamber of Commerce, Chemists' Club, The Thomas Hunter Association of Grammar School No. 53, the Commission on the Prevention of Tuberculosis of the Charity Organization of the City of New York, Sons of the Revolution, Society of Colonial Wars, New York University Alumni Association, Kingsbridge Council No. 1082, Royal Arcanum; the Parish Club, Church Temperance Society, trustee of the Bronx Savings Bank, the Huguenot Society of America, Pilgrim Society, Fordham Club, North Side Board of Trade, the National Association for the Study and Prevention of Tuberculosis, New York Athletic Club, Seabury Society, Jefferson Tammany Hall, director Crippled Children's Driving Fund, and the National Geographic Society, Lotos Club, American Geographical Society and Society of Tropical Medicine. Address, 48 West 59th street. New York City.

GEORGE DART, general manager of the Tuxedo Stores Company at Tuxedo Park, N. Y., is a native of Ulster County, N. Y., and has resided at Tuxedo since 1886, when he established his pharmacy. Mr. Dart had previously been engaged in the drug business at 30th street and Broadway, New York City. He discontinued that store in 1888.

Mr. Dart was instrumental in the establishment of the Tuxedo Stores Company, and has been identified with various movements for the improvement and advancement of Tuxedo in material, moral and religious matters. He is president of the Board of Education, director of the Tuxedo Library and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

THOMAS WESLEY DAVEY was born in the town of Greenville, N. Y., on January 6, 1850. Mr. Davey received his early education at the Chester Academy. His first work after leaving school was on a farm where he worked for three years. He was associated with various factories in Middletown and spent two years in the oil fields of Pennsylvania. Returning to his native State, Mr. Davey located in the metropolis and engaged in the milk business for two years. Since that time he was with the Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital for fourteen years as assistant engineer. Here in Middletown he has labored effectively for the past ten years as superintendent of the Middletown Water-Works. He married Miss Maria Wood, of Haverstraw, N. Y. Three children have been born to them, Irving W., Mina May and Lewis Jacob. Mr. Davey belongs to a number of societies, among them being Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. & A. M.; Middletown Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 112; Orange Encampment, I. O. O. F., No. 93. He is a member of the American Water-Works Association and honorary member of Eagle Hose & Chemical Co. No. 2, of Middletown.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN DECKER was born at Newburgh, Orange County, January 16, 1865. His parents were John H. and Elsie (Fullerton) Decker. He attended the schools in Middletown until twelve years of age, when his father died and Mr. Decker went to work in a drug store at Paterson, N. J., where he remained six years. He was identified with theTimesat Middletown as city editor for a period of twelve years. He enlisted in the 1st N. Y. Vol. Inf. in 1898 during the Spanish-American war, and accompanied his regiment to Honolulu as first lieutenant of Company I. He returned to Middletown and took up newspaper work on thePress,remaining until theTimesandPresswere merged. He was coroner for twelve years, and in 1907 was elected sheriff of Orange Comity. Mr. Decker was united in marriage to Miss Natalie Weygant, October 31, 1890. To this union two children were born, Richard Stivers, born 1892, and John Weygant, born 1896. Mr. Decker is a republican in politics. Socially he is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, of Middletown. He is captain of Company I, 1st Inf. (24th Sep. Co.), National Guards of New York.

ISAIAH W. DECKER, president of the Wallkill Valley Farmers' Association is now retired from active agricultural pursuits and makes his home in Walden, N. Y. Mr. Decker's ancestors were of Dutch extraction and at an early period sought the rich lands of Orange and Ulster counties. He is a grandson of Levi Decker and a son of William D. and Ellen Jane (Crans) Decker and was born in the town of Montgomery, Orange County, N. Y. In his younger days he rented farms upon which he fully demonstrated that success could be won in this as well as in other pursuits. He later purchased a desirable farm near Walden which he provided with modern equipment.

Mr. Decker is identified with social and public affairs of his native town and has occupied different positions of trust and responsibility.

JOHN E. DECKER was born May 1, 1860, at Dwaarskill, Ulster County, N. Y. His parents were Ezekiel and Anna Decker. Our subject attained his education at the district school in his locality. He married Martha Jane, daughter of Abraham Vernooy, April 2, 1895. Their one son, Adrian Vernooy Decker, was born August 11, 1897. Mr. and Mrs. Decker are members of the First Congregational Church of Middletown, N. Y., and both are active members of Wallkill River Grange. Mr. Decker is a member of I. O. O. F., of Gardner, Ulster County, N. Y. He occupies the C. H. C. Beck's farm near Middletown, N. Y., and has always been an agriculturist.

SAMUEL DECKER was born March 12, 1851, on his father's farm near the village of Amity, Orange County, N. Y. His parents were John and Maria (Smith) Decker. John Decker was a descendant of a Holland Dutch emigrant who located and became a large land owner at what is now Glenwood, N. J., but who late in life removed to central New York, leaving a son at Glenwood. Maria Smith's father, Abram Smith, was a school teacher of Orange County for fifty years and her two grand sires were Revolutionary soldiers. Mr. Decker's school days were passed at Amity, and upon reaching his majority he removed to the town of Greenville, N. Y., and purchased a farm of one hundred and forty acres in the upper Shawangunk valley. He has since added an adjoining farm to his original purchase. For about ten years he conducted the farm and taught school. On October 16, 1878, he married Cornelia Sergeant, only daughter of Jeremiah Sergeant, a well-known cattle dealer and farmer at Gardenersville. Shortly after this he began dealing in cattle, which in connection with his farming he engaged in continuously for twenty years. Mr. Decker is a democrat and has held a number of public offices. At present he is filling his second term as justice of the peace. Their children number four: Margaret, wife of Frank Neail, of Mount Hope; Phebe, wife of Hiram Tyler, of New York City; Frank and Effa, at home. In spite of his many enterprises Mr. Decker has found time to devote several hours each day to reading and study, is a fine Shakespearian scholar and, having a phenomenal memory, is an authority on ancient and modern history and literature.

JOHN DEISSEROTH, supervisor of the Fifth Ward, Newburgh, N. Y., was born in that city, January 17, 1876. After finishing his studies at the public schools he learned the blacksmith and horseshoeing trade and has been engaged in business for himself for the past ten years.

A firm believer in the principles of the democratic party, Mr. Deisseroth was elected to the office of supervisor in 1907 by a majority of 96. Socially he is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees and Columbian Hose Company, and vestryman in the Church of the Good Shepherd.

FRANK H. DE KAY was born in the town of Warwick at New Milford, August 11, 1866. He is a son of Francis M. and Nellie (Sisson) De Kay. There were three children in his parents' family: One died in infancy; Lucille, wife of James H. Vealey, and Frank H. The subject of our sketch acquired his early education at the district school at New Milford and Warwick public school, later attending Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. At an early age he identified himself in the furniture and undertaking business with Mr. Burt, the firm being Burt and De Kay. In 1893 Mr. De Kay, taking over Mr. Burt's interest, continued the business until 1899. At this period James H. Vealey took an interest in the establishment, the firm being then known as De Kay & Vealey, which continued until 1903, when Mr. De Kay retired. He married Miss Marguerite Pelser, of Paterson, N. J., April 14, 1891. To them were born two children, Elwood Frank, born March 5, 1893, died July 10, 1902, and Doris Pelser, born June 5, 1896. He is an honorary member of Excelsior Hose Company No. 1 and treasurer of Christ Episcopal Church, of Warwick. In politics he is independent.

CORNELIUS HENRY DEMAREST was born in Warwick, June 25, 1820, and died December 10, 1889. He lived all his life on the farm he inherited from his father, Cornelius C. Demarest, which now belongs to his son, Henry Pelton Demarest. He was for thirty years presiding officer of the board which controlled the Warwick Academy and the public school. He was one of the original stockholders of the First National Bank of the village and its president from 1878 until his death. He was also a founder of the Warwick Valley Farmers' Milk Association and an officer of the Warwick Valley R. R., and of its successor, the Lehigh and Hudson River Road. He was a consistent Christian and for some years before his death was a member of the Consistory of the Reformed Church. In 1845 he married Elizabeth A. Pelton, daughter of Henry Pelton, of Warwick, and seven children survived him: Charles M., who was born February 5, 1848, and died January 8, 1905 (he married Annie E. Armstrong, daughter of Rensselaer Armstrong, of Warwick); DeWitt Clinton, born February 18, 1852, who married Hattie Hudson, of Denver, and lives at Passaic, N. J.; Mary Elizabeth, born April 29, 1854, who married Christie Romaine, of Hackensack, N. J.; Henry Pelton, born October 25, 1856, who married Ella J. Toland, of Florida, N. Y.; Julia, born May 29, 1858, unmarried, living at Warwick; David, born February 27, 1860, unmarried, and living in Boston, Mass.; Anna, born April 24, 1862, unmarried, and living at Warwick.

The Demarests are of Huguenot extraction. David Demarest, a native of Beauchamp, a little village of Picardy in France, with his wife, Marie Soheir, and five children sailed from Amsterdam, April 16, 1663, on the shipBouchoc(Spotted Cow) for New Amsterdam. For two years he resided with the Huguenot colony on Staten Island; from there he moved to Harlem, where for twelve and a half years he was one of the first citizens of the place. He purchased of the Indians several thousand acres of land in New Jersey, in the vicinity of Hackensack. Just before and during the Revolution a number of Demarest families left New Jersey and went to Orange County, N. Y. Among these was Cornelius Demarest, the grandfather of Cornelius H. He settled on a ridge a few miles out of Warwick on the Florida road, but during his later years he purchased the farm now owned by his great-grandsons, Henry Pelton and Henry Pelton Demarest. Cornelius Demarest fought in the war of the Revolution under Col. John Hathorn in a company of Major Wisner's Scouts. He was one of the organizers of the Reformed Church of Warwick and a member of its first Consistory.

GEORGE HOUSTON DEMAREST, always a farmer, was born at the homestead about two miles from Wisner, June 26, 1873. He is of the seventh generation on this farm, which is now chiefly devoted to dairying. He is active in local matters, politically he is a republican and belongs to the Grange. His wife was Miss Edith May Stevens, of Sugar Loaf, and they were married November 2, 1898. They have had four children, only two of whom are living, namely, James Henry, six years old, and Agnes Wood, three months old.

HON. AUGUSTUS DENNISTON, president Orange County Agricultural Society, was born in the town of Blooming Grove, the youngest son of Robert and Mary Denniston. His farm of about two hundred and thirty acres has come down to him by inheritance from his great-grandfather, James Denniston, son of Alexander Denniston, who arrived in this country from Ireland in 1729 and settled on a farm in the town of New Windsor, about two miles north of Washingtonville. The grandfather of Augustus was James Denniston, who died in 1825, leaving several large farms, most of which was bequeathed to his son Robert, who died in 1867, and who was the owner of about six hundred acres of land, beside a large estate, all of which was managed by his son Augustus, for the benefit of his mother until her death in 1898. Augustus was educated at home by tutors in a private school. When his father was elected State comptroller in 1860, he went to Albany and served for two years as his confidential clerk. In 1862 he went to war, and was appointed by Col. Ellis quartermaster of the 124th Regiment, N. Y. S. Volunteers. After a few months' service he was taken sick, and after months of illness in hospital and at home he resigned. In 1893-94 he represented the First Assembly District of Orange County in the Legislature. Afterwards for two years he was State cattle commissioner, having been appointed by Governor Cornell. In 1893 he was elected a director of the Orange County Agricultural Society, and since that time has been continuously connected with it officially, four years as director, two as vice-president, and since 1899 its president. He has been a director of the Highland National Bank of Newburgh since 1873, and for seven years was its president. In 1901 he was appointed by Governor Odell one of the State Fair commissioners. He resides in the old home, which was built by his father in 1824, is engaged extensively in the milk business on his large farm and has been president of the Washingtonville Farmers' Creamery Association since its organization in 1876.

WALTER DENNISTON, supervisor of the town of New Windsor, is engaged in farming near Rocklet. He was born in this township in 1857, and is a son of George and Agnes (Stewart) Denniston. He has been identified with public affairs of the town and county since 1884, when he served as justice of the peace until 1892. With the exception of the 1896-1897 term he has been continuously elected a member of the Board of Supervisors since 1891. Mr. Denniston is a member of Little Britain Grange and takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare of Orange County.

WILLIAM L. DICKERSON, attorney, of Montgomery, is a son of Jacob and John B. (Millspaugh) Dickerson. His ancestors settled in Orange County previous to the Revolutionary war. Mr. Dickerson attended Montgomery Academy and Cornell University, following which he read law in the office of Hon. A. S. Cassedy and was admitted to the bar in 1892. His legal studies were supplemented by a course of lectures at the University of Minnesota. He has enjoyed an extensive practice in Montgomery since 1895. Mr. Dickerson is secretary and a director of the Montgomery & Erie Railroad and secretary and a director of the Riverside Cemetery. He is a member of Walden Lodge, F. & A. M.; past assistant grand lecturer of the Thirteenth Masonic District; a member of Midland Chapter, R. A. M., of Middletown, and a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Montgomery.

JAMES NATHANIEL DICKEY, bank cashier, Newburgh; son of William and Esther (James) Dickey. Born at Newburgh, July 12, 1840. After finishing his studies at Newburgh Academy entered office of Judge J. J. Monell as clerk, remaining two years. In 1856 accepted clerkship with Quassaick National Bank; was promoted to teller and in 1895 became cashier. Served as city treasurer of Newburgh for thirty years. First vice-president Newburgh Historical Society; member City Club and the Newburgh Canoe and Boating Association. He married Miss Eve Brown in 1866 and three daughters have been born to them.

EDWIN J. DIKEMAN, a successful pharmacist of Goshen, N. Y., was born in that place in 1876. After graduating from the Goshen High School he entered Columbia University and graduated from the Department of Pharmacy of that institution in 1897. He is a son of Edwin and Elizabeth (Jay) Dikeman. Edwin, the father, was a native of Goshen. He established the drug store now owned by Edwin J. in the early fifties and was one of the prominent business men of that place. He served the village as president for several years. His death occurred July 19, 1895.

Edwin J. married Henrietta Coleman, daughter of Hon. Roswell C. Coleman, of Newburgh, N. Y., and they have a son, Edwin J., Jr.

Mr. Dikeman is a member of Goshen Lodge No. 365, F. & A. M.; the Goshen Club, an honorary member of Cataract Engine and Hose Company No. 1, and a member of the New York State Pharmaceutical Association. He is also secretary of the Orange County Chapter, Sons of the Revolution.

BRICE L. DREW was born at Vernon, Sussex County, N. J., March 6, 1866. His parents were Gilbert and Elizabeth Drew, and they had five children. Mr. Drew is a practical farmer, and now conducts the Eden fruit and dairy farm of one hundred and forty-two acres. He is a member of Warwick Lodge No. 544, F. & A. M.; Wawayanda Lodge No. 34, I. O. O. F., and Junior O. U. A. M. No. 207. He is a member of the Glenwood Methodist Church. Politically he is independent. He married Miss Lillie Morehouse, of Amity, daughter of Linn and Emily Morehouse. Their three children are: Ernest, born June 24, 1892; Emily, born July 17, 1895, and Albert George, born May 1, 1902.

WILLIAM J. DUFFY, vice-president and a director of the First National Bank of Highland Falls, N. Y., was born in Providence, R. I., in 1867. He was educated in the city of Rochester, N. Y., and has been a resident of Orange County since 1897. Mr. Duffy is endowed with characteristic New England enterprise and his spirit has exerted a healthy influence in public affairs at Highland Falls, where he is president of the Village Improvement Society. He is superintendent of the U. S. Government Stables at West Point and is proprietor of the entire livery. He is district deputy of the Knights of Columbus. His wife was formerly Miss Fanny Au, of Highland Falls.

WALTER DUMVILLE, farmer and dairyman, was born in the town of Newburgh, May 9, 1843. His father, Benjamin Dumville, was a native of England and came to America in 1827, a few years later locating in Newburgh, where he married Miriam Harris. He was the first wholesale butcher in Newburgh. After Walter finished his education he engaged with his father in that business, and later conducted it alone successfully for many years. He at one time served as collector of the town of Newburgh. Mr. Dumville is a director of the Columbus Trust Co., also the Milk Producers' Association and the Horse Thief Detecting Society. July 16, 1873, he married Josephine, daughter of John and Catherine O'Brien, of New York City. Mr. and Mrs. Dumville are members of the Unitarian Church.

WILLIAM FULLERTON DUNNING, a member of the New York City Bar Association and for several years immediately preceding his death a member of its committee on admissions, died on April 1, 1907, after an illness lasting only a few days. He was born in the city of New York on May 29, 1856. His father was the late Benjamin F. Dunning, for many years the law partner of Charles O'Conor, and his mother was Ruth Seely, of Orange County, New York.

From his father Mr. Dunning inherited a predilection for the law, and doubtless his early association with his father's firm helped to develop in him his high ideals of professional ethics.

He was prepared for college in Dresden, Saxony, and was graduated from Princeton University in the class of 1877. He devoted himself with more than usual assiduity to his studies, and was particularly interested in the classics. He was graduated from the Columbia College Law School and admitted to the bar of this State in 1879. Upon his admission to the bar he entered the firm of Dunning, Edsall, Hart & Fowler, of which firm his father was senior partner. In 1883, upon the death of Mr. Hart, the firm of Dunning, Edsall & Fowler was organized, and in 1886, upon the retirement of Mr. Edsall, the firm became Dunning & Fowler. Of these three firms William Fullerton Dunning was a member. In 1900, upon the dissolution of the firm of Dunning & Fowler, Mr. Dunning joined the firm of Boardman, Platt & Soley; on Mr. Soley's retirement from the firm in 1906, the firm Boardman, Platt & Dunning was organized and continued until November, 1906, when Judge Morgan J. O'Brien became one of the members, the name being changed to O'Brien, Boardman, Platt & Dunning.

William Fullerton Dunning was a man of modest and retiring disposition. Although a learned and sound lawyer, he did not seek the contention and strife of the courts, but preferred office practice. His faithfulness and devotion to his clients' interests gained for him their confidence, and many of them became his warm friends. He had a cheerful, happy disposition. His relations with his professional brethren were always marked with great consideration, and while he jealously guarded the interests of his clients, an opposing attorney could never justly complain that Mr. Dunning had not shown to him the courtesy demanded by the most exacting professional etiquette. While not ambitious for position or office which would bring him prominently before the public, he was greatly interested in his professional work and desirous that it should be well done. His relations with the various partners with whom he was associated during his career have always been most cordial and friendly.

In 1883 he married Clara Frost, of New Orleans, La., and the years that followed were filled with domestic happiness. His wife and six daughters who survive him mourn the loss of a kind and loving husband and a wise and affectionate father. His life is a continuous record of high ideals and work well done. He died in the prime of life, respected by all who knew him, and loved by those who knew him best. In this age of excitement and greed, such a life as his should be an example and an inspiration.

THE DUNNING FAMILY—General Benj. Dunning (married Isabel Wilson); Benjamin Franklin Dunning, Esq. (married Ruth Seely); William Fullerton Dunning, Esq. (married Clara Frost).

These three Dunnings were descended from an old and well-known English family and were closely interested in Orange County.

General Dunning's children: Virgil, Benjamin Franklin, William T., Angeline.

Benjamin Franklin Dunning's children: Isabel (Mrs. Thos. P. Fowler), Frank, William Fullerton (dead), Frederick Clark (dead), Alice (Mrs. M. Allen Starr).

William Fullerton Dunning's children: Aline Frost (dead), Ruth Seely, Marceline Randolph, Clara Frost, Isabel Fowler, Elizabeth Belcher, Willielmine.

FRANK DURLAND was born in the Yelverton Inn in the old village of Chester, N. Y., on March 25, 1860. The family sprang from the emigrant Jan Garretse Dorlandt, who came from Holland to the New Netherlands in the year 1652, settling in Brooklyn, later, in the year 1657, removing to Bedford, of which village he was for many years a commissioner.

His father, Joseph Durland, is the great-grandson of Charles Durland, who came from Long Island and settled in Chester in the year 1754.

His mother, Nancy Kingsland Board, was a daughter of Major James J. Board, of Boardville, N. J., afterward residing in Sugar Loaf valley, Chester, N. Y.

He attended the Chester Academy until 1877, leaving school at the age of seventeen, he began life's activities in Durland's store. In the year 1885 he entered the firm of J. Durland & Son, and on February 1, 1908, he purchased the entire interest in the mercantile business of his father, Joseph Durland. with whom he had been associated for twenty-three years. He was married April 22, 1891, to Mary Burt Sanford, of Warwick, N. Y., daughter of William Moore Sanford and Sarah Burt, who was the daughter of James Burt, for many years president of the Chester National Bank. By her he has two children, William Sanford Durland, born July 13, 1892, now a student in Nazareth Hall Military Academy, Nazareth, Pa., and Nancy Board Durland, born March 29, 1898, now a student in Chester Academy.

Mr. and Mrs. Durland are both members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Durland is president of its board of trustees, president of the board of trade, director of the Chester Telephone Co., trustee of Walton Hose Co., treasurer of the Orange & Rockland Electric Co., member of Standard Lodge, No. 711, F. & A. M., of Monroe, N. Y.


Back to IndexNext