Chapter 41

EDWARD G. LITTELL was born in Elmira, N. Y., July 5, 1851. From his birthplace he went to Rahway, N. J., remained there several years, and then came to Greycourt, Orange County. He was a fireman on the Erie Railroad eleven years, had charge of the steam pumps twelve years, and later operated a sawmill and general store. His great grandfather was Captain Pratt Littell and he was in the first skirmish against the British in the War of the Revolution. He lived in New Jersey at a place called Short Hills.

Edward G. married Ida Bronk Hyte, of Greycourt. Their children are Elizabeth A., Edward D., of Los Angeles, Cal., William J., Harry M., Andrew H., Hattie L., Ida M. and Alfred K. The father is a member of Standard Lodge No. 711, F. and A. M.; K. of P. Lodge No. 363, of Chester, and the Grand Lodge of the State of New York. Mr. Littell has held the office of postmaster at Greycourt for nine years. He is a member of the Chester Horse Thief Association, and has served twice on the republican town board.

WILLIAM T. LODGE, who has conducted the Empire House at Montgomery, N. Y., for thirty-seven years, is one of the representative and highly respected citizens of Orange County. Mr. Lodge was born in Ireland, March 26, 1836, and came to America when a lad of fifteen. He was engaged in farming from 1849 to 1871, when he purchased his present hotel property. In politics Mr. Lodge is a democrat, and has for years exerted a great influence in the promotion of its interests.

Socially he is identified with the Masonic fraternity, and is a director in the First National Bank of Montgomery. He was one of the organizers and is a supporter of the Episcopal Chapel, organized about six years ago in Montgomery. This chapel is a branch of the St. Andrew's Episcopal Church of Walden.

Mr. Lodge married Miss Catherine Doyle in 1863, and three sons and three daughters have been born to them—William T. Jr., manager of the Empire House; Martin D. conducts a gents' furnishing store, and James A., proprietor of a sales stable for horses and cattle, all residing in Montgomery.

WILLIAM LOEVEN was born at Honesdale, Pa., September 8, 1861. His early education was acquired at the public school. He removed to Orange County in March, 1891, and located at Middletown.

He engaged in business on Fulton street, after which he removed to Otisville, in January, 1906, and purchased the hotel known as the Writer Hotel, which he still continues. He married Frances Gehrer, of Honesdale, Pa., October 16, 1889. Their four children are William, Jr., Robert, Edward and Elizabeth, all residing at home. In politics Mr. Loeven is a democrat, and is a member of the F. O. E. Mr. and Mrs. Loeven are members of the Church of the Holy Name, of Otisville.

CHARLES W. LOOMIS was born at Otisville, Orange County, N. Y. He is a son of Ephraim Smith Loomis, who was born May 22, 1801, and died February 27, 1869. His mother died November 19, 1891. Charles W. attended the district school and assisted his father on the farm, which has been the Loomis homestead for over a century. He married Miss Phoebe A. Dunlap, daughter of Riley and Sarah E. Dunlap, November 28, 1886. Five children were born to this union, Iva Pamela, born February 17, 1887, died May 19, 1904; Antoinette Evelyn, born April 17, 1888; Ephraim Smith, born November 9, 1890; Frank Kaufmann, born October 2, 1894; and Sarah Irene, born February 14, 1898.

In politics Mr. Loomis is a republican. He has held several local offices, being supervisor of the town fourteen years and justice of the peace ten years. He is a member of the Otisville Presbyterian Church and active in religious duties. He is identified with Hoffman Lodge No. 412, of Middletown, as a member. Mr. Loomis has a good dairy farm and makes a specialty of truck gardening.

EPHRAIM BEEMER LOTT was born August 25, 1862, at Sussex, N. J. He attended the district school, after which he worked on a farm until 1887. He then identified himself with the Warwick Valley Milk Association, where he remained for sixteen years. He is now foreman of the Warwick branch of the Mutual Milk and Cream Co. He married Miss Emma Barrett, of Warwick, October 31, 1888. Two children were born by this union, Mary Lavina, living at home, and one who died in infancy. Mr. Lott is a member of Wawayanda Lodge No. 34, Odd Fellows, Independent Order of Red Men, Tuxedo Tribe, No. 322, and Orange Council No. 112, Jr. O. U. A. M. He is a member of the Methodist Church of Warwick. In politics he is a democrat. His father, John Hathorn Lott, died August 11, 1906, at the age of one hundred years eleven months and five days. There were ten children in his family by the first wife and nine by his second wife. He was a cooper by trade, and a great hunter of wild game.

IRVING K. LOUGHRAN, attorney of Walden, N. Y., has for many years been prominently identified with commercial and public affairs of Orange County. He is a native of New York and read law with Henry H. Hustis, of Fishkill-on-Hudson. Since his admission to the bar in 1882 he has practiced law continuously in Walden. Mr. Loughran has held all the judicial offices in the town of Montgomery and for fourteen years was justice of the peace. He served for twelve years on the board of supervisors and two terms as chairman of the board. He is secretary and director of the Wallkill Valley Electric Co., secretary of the Wallkill Valley Cemetery Association, secretary and director of the Schrade Cutlery Co. of Walden, and a member of the New York Bar Association. He has taken the various chairs in Masonry, including the Mystic Shrine, and is a member of the Newburgh Lodge of Elks and Walden Lodge, K. of P.

JAMES B. LOVE, who in 1906 purchased the Dr. Ormsbee farm on the State road midway between Newburgh and the village of Montgomery, was born in New York City, and engaged in business there for many years. He married Miss Maggie Urey and they have two sons, James B., Jr., born January, 1905, and John Robert, born March, 1908. Mr. Love and his family, like many retired New Yorkers, enjoy the freedom of rural life in Orange County.

HENRY C. LOVELAND was born October 13, 1853, at Chester, Pa. His father was William W. and mother, Lucinda M. (Atkins) Loveland. Twelve children were born to this union, nine boys and three girls. He obtained his early education at the district school at Chester, and later attended the public school at Napanoch. After his schooling he was employed in the rolling mills and in 1872 came to Middletown, learning the machinist trade. In 1878 he associated himself with the Wheeler, Madden and Clemson Mfg. Co., of Middletown, remaining with this firm until 1890, then with Clemson Bros. for a period of seventeen years, after which he has been connected with the National Saw Co. He was married to Josephine Decker, March 29, 1877. They have two children.

Stephen D., who married Nellie Clark, of Middletown, have two children, one son and one daughter, and Hattie, wife of George C. Brundage. Mr. Loveland is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. and A. M.; Wallkill Council No. 92, Jr. O. U. A. M., and Olympia Council No. 14, D. of A. In politics he is a republican, and has served the city faithfully as councilman. The Loveland family are of English descent and dates back to 1635 in America.

WARREN LOWELL was born in Troy, N. Y., and educated in Albany and New York City. He was engaged in the milk business for a time and was later employed by the Union Pacific Railroad. About 1876 he returned to New York City and associated himself with the Orange County Milk Co., of which he is now a director, and holds the offices of secretary and superintendent. The plant at Goshen has facilities for handling four hundred cans of milk daily. The various creameries owned by this company have up-to-date machinery for the condensing of cream. This company was organized in 1860. Mr. Lowell is a member of Pyramid Lodge No. 490, F. and A. M.; Union Chapter No. 180, York Commandery No. 55, and the Consistory, all of New York City. Politically he is a republican. He married Matilda D. Senior, of New York, September 16, 1885.

OLIVER LOZIER, who is engaged in farming near Savilton, Orange County, was born in the town of Newburgh in 1837. He attended district school and the Newburgh Academy and engaged in farming until 1857, when he accepted a position as captain on the Newburgh ferry. In 1868 he removed to Savilton and purchased his farm of seventy-five acres. He has served as collector of the town one year and as supervisor six years. He married Elizabeth Hanmore and five children were born to them. His son, Frank E., is engaged in the management of the farm with his father. He married Miss May Palmer, of Ulster County; they have two children, one son, Elmore, and a daughter.

HARRY ROSS LYDECKER, attorney of Newburgh and Brooklyn, was born in Yonkers, N. Y., March 4, 1869. Son of Albert and Martha B. (Morrison) Lydecker; graduated 1887 from Mount St. Mary's Academy; read law in the office of Colonel William Dickey (now justice of the supreme court); admitted to the bar in 1893. He has served as counsel of the Newburgh Electric Railway Co.; corporation counsel of the town of New Windsor; town counsel of the town of Blooming Grove.

In 1906 Mr. Lydecker opened a law office in Brooklyn, N. Y. In January, 1907, the law firm of Lydecker and Smith was formed with offices in Newburgh. Mr. Lydecker is a member of the commandery and chapter, F. and A. M.; member of the Tenth Separate Company, the Canoe and Boating Association, the Royal Arcanum, Ringgold Hose and the Y. M. C. A. In 1891 he married Miss Minnie A. Brown, of Newburgh. Five children have been born to them.

JOHN McCARTYwas born of Irish parentage in Westchester County, N. Y., and moved to Brooklyn when eighteen years of age. His early desires were for mercantile pursuits, but he eventually entered the service of the city of Brooklyn in the municipal board of health. He later became a clerk to Justice Walsh, which position he retained for some years, relinquishing this eventually to become alderman, serving on important committees while remaining in the board, and becoming also its presiding officer. He has dealt largely in Brooklyn real estate. He was nominated in 1891 to succeed John C. Jacobs, and was elected by over 16,000 plurality. Mr. McCarty was also a member of the committee on railroads, committee on insurance, manufactures, and was chairman of the committee on state prisons, and of the committee on public buildings. In politics he was a staunch democrat and represented the second senatorial district. He was a great admirer and owner of many fine horses, among them being Joe Patchen, which he purchased in 1889, since which time that noted horse has been kept at his stables at Goshen, N. Y. John McCarty was a son of Hugh McCarty, born in 1815 at County Down, Ireland, where he received a common school education. He came to America in February, 1834, and learned the mason trade at an early age. Returning to his native country he married Sarah Rogers, also of County Down, Ireland. He at once returned to America, settling in Westchester County, N. Y. He was largely identified with the building of High Bridge connecting New York and Harlem. Mr. McCarty was contractor for the masonry and personally laid the corner stone of the bridge. The trowel used in laying the cornerstone is now in possession of his daughter. Mr. McCarty owned his own quarries and the stone used in the High Bridge was transported on his own sloops for this as well as the Brooklyn navy yard and other contracts. He was a philanthropic man and gave large contributions to St. Mary's-on-the-Hudson at Cold Spring. There were five children born to the union, Ellen, John, Mary, Thomas and Sarah A. The latter now resides at their summer home in Goshen and in Brooklyn during the winter months. He married Marguerite I. Murphy, of New York City, and died October 20, 1905.

HON. BENJAMIN McCLUNG, mayor of the city of Newburgh, N. Y., and a prominent member of the Orange County Bar, was born in the town of New Windsor in 1867, a son of Samuel and Margaret (Upright) McClung. After finishing his preliminary education at the Newburgh Academy and Siglar's Preparatory School, he entered the law department of the University of New York, graduating in 1891 with the degree of LL.B. Mr. McClung practiced law in New York City for a short time, and in the same year, 1891, opened an office in Newburgh. He was for a time associated in practice with Hon. Russell Headley and in 1906 the law firm of McClung & Kohl was formed.

For many years Mr. McClung has been prominently identified with the affairs of the democratic party, which nominated him for member of assembly. In 1907 he was selected to head the democratic ticket in Newburgh, and November 5 was elected mayor by the substantial majority of 574 votes. Mayor McClung was inaugurated March, 1908, the first democrat to occupy that office in a period of eighteen years.

Socially he is identified with the Masonic fraternity, the Elks, Foresters and the City Club.

JOHN D. McCOACH, chief of police of the city of Middletown, was born in Bethel, Sullivan County, N. Y., in 1876 and educated at the public schools in Bethel, where he graduated. He came to Middletown in June, 1896, in his twenty-first year, and after serving six years as driver of a mail wagon, which duty he faithfully performed, he was appointed patrolman on the Middletown police force. In 1907 he was appointed chief of the Middletown police, which position he now holds. Politically he is a republican. Socially he is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. and A. M., and Midland Chapter No. 240, R. A. M. He married Miss Lucy Barber, of Monticello, Sullivan County, and of this union two children have been born, Elmer E., born June 21, 1904, and Mildred O., born October 10, 1905. As befits one in his position Mr. McCoach is a man of varied learning and accomplishments, and withal a man of affairs, of keen perception and fair-minded. He is particularly well informed in local and Masonic matters.

ROBERT WORKMAN McCREADY, a prominent contractor at Tuxedo Park, is a resident of Sloatsburg, Rockland County. Mr. McCready was born at Belfast, in the North of Ireland, in 1862, a son of James and Mary (McIlveen) McCready, of Scotch descent. He attended the schools of Belfast and in 1882 received his certificate from the Government School of Art. He then spent a year with Harland & Wolf, shipbuilders, obtaining his certificate as joiner. In 1884 he came to Fall River, Mass., where he was employed as a carpenter one year. After a visit to his native place he again came to America in 1886 and was employed by Mead & Taft at Tuxedo. Two years later he formed a co-partnership with William M. Finch to conduct a general contracting and building business under the firm name of McCready & Finch. Their business developed rapidly and employment given to from three to four hundred men, erecting many of the most substantial buildings in Tuxedo Park, including the homes of Ambrose Monell, W. B. Densmore, W. B. Garrison, J. Henry Smith, a private school in the Park costing $35,000, and the $30,000 school in the village. He also rebuilt the Episcopal church. In 1905 Mr. McCready purchased Mr. Finch's interest in the business and is now conducting it alone. Mr. McCready has now under contract to erect in Tuxedo Park a residence for C. W. Clinton, of the firm of Clinton & Russell, architects, of Nassau street, New York; a Methodist church at Sloatsburg, an extension to William M. V. Hoffman's house, and alterations to A. D. Julliard's house, Tuxedo Park.

Mr. McCready is a member of numerous fraternal organizations, including Scottish Rite Masons and the Mystic Shrine. In 1889 he married Mary, daughter of John Finch, of Sloatsburg. They have two children—Olive and Robert Halsey.

JOHN W. McCULLOUGH, who for many years was engaged in the tobacco business in Water street, was born in Newburgh in 1819 and died in 1892. After finishing his studies at the high school he learned the tobacconist trade and engaged in the wholesale and retail business for himself at 93 Front street, in 1845, where he continued until 1873, when he purchased the premises at 68 and 70 Water street, where the business was continued by his son, John R. McCullough, up to the time of his death, July 31, 1907. Mr. McCullough was for many years an elder in the First Reformed Presbyterian Church, and also performed the duties of treasurer. In his long business career in his native place Mr. McCullough's name was a synonym for integrity and honorable dealings. John R. McCullough was born July 15, 1846. He was engaged in the drug business for a few years on Broadway, previous to engaging in the tobacco business with his father. He was a director of Quassaick National Bank, and Woodlawn Cemetery Association. He was treasurer of Union Church, and president of the board of water commissioners. He married Miss Marion Muir, who died September 18, 1900. Four children were born to them. John W., Jr., died November 6, 1888. Frederick R. continues the tobacco business in Water street.

FRED S. McDOWELL, supervisor of the town of Newburgh, was born in Newburgh in 1865; a son of James and Agnes (Frew) McDowell. As a young man he was engaged in the butchering business with his father and then entered the employ of Armour & Co. for two years as salesman, following which he conducted a meat market on Broadway three years. Since 1893 he has been one of the proprietors of the Newburgh Rendering Co.

Mr. McDowell is prominent in fraternal organizations. He is past master of Newburgh Lodge, F. and A. M., a member of Highland Chapter, Hudson River Commandery and the Mecca Temple. He is also past grand of Acme Lodge, I. O. O. F., and in 1907 was chosen district deputy of Orange District No. 1 of the Odd Fellows. He married Miss Jennie Whitaker, of New Windsor.

RALPH L. McGEOCH, M.D., a successful physician, residing and practicing in Goshen, N. Y., was born at Shushan, Washington County, N. Y., December 1, 1867. He was educated at Cambridge Washington Academy and Fort Edward Collegiate Institute. He entered the New York Homeopathic College in 1891 and graduated May 3, 1894, after which he came to Goshen, where he has since practiced. Dr. McGeoch is a member of the New York State Homeopathic Medical Society, the Tri-County Homeopathic Medical Society, the Orange County Medical Society, the New York State Medical Association, and the New York Homeopathic Alumni Association. On June 9, 1897, he was joined in marriage with Sarah W. Coleman.

JAMES D. McGIFFERT, clerk of Orange County, N. Y., was born and educated in Newburgh. As a young man he was employed by the Oakley Soap Co., in Washington street. Since he became a voter he has manifested an active interest in politics, the first office to which he was elected being that of assessor from the First Ward. He served as city collector of Newburgh from 1897 to 1906. In his dealings with the public in this capacity he was uniformly courteous and considerate. He was for two years master of Newburgh Lodge No. 309, F. and A. M., and its secretary ten years. He is excellent high priest of Highland Chapter No. 52, R. A. M.; also a member of Hudson River Commandery No. 35, Knights Templar. He is prominently identified with the Odd Fellows and firemanic circles. He was elected to the office of county clerk November, 1906, running over a thousand votes ahead of his ticket.

HENRY JAMES McKINNEY, was born at the family homestead in the town of Crawford, Orange County, April 10, 1854, and died at his residence in Pine Bush, N. Y., September 24, 1907. He was the third son of Luther and Maria (Morrison) McKinney. Following the death of his father he bought the homestead and continued thereon until 1892, when he removed to Pine Bush. In 1895 he engaged in the lumber, feed and coal business, which he conducted with much success for nearly twelve years, his business career being marked by courtesy and sterling honesty. On September 7, 1892, he married Miss Kate Woodworth Kapelye, who with three daughters survive him.

Mr. McKinney always manifested an active interest in the moral and intellectual advancement of his community. His death entailed the loss of a public-spirited citizen and Christian gentleman.

JOHN L. McKINNEY, postmaster at Pine Bush, was born on the homestead farm in the town of Crawford, Orange County, March 6, 1856; a son of Luther and Maria (Morrison) McKinney. He attended the schools of his native town and two terms at Professor Bank's private school in Newburgh. He has been engaged in business at Pine Bush since 1886. His first venture there was in conducting the flour mill, in which he continued five years. In 1891 he became a member of the firm of Armstrong & McKinney, dealers in general merchandise and drugs, where he remained about eight years. He then formed a partnership with Mr. J. E. Ward in the conduct of a hardware store. In 1904 he purchased Mr. Ward's interest and continues the business alone. Mr. McKinney, who is prominent in republican politics, received the appointment of postmaster under President McKinley, June 28, 1897. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, in which he has served as elder for many years.

WILLIAM L. McKINNEY, a respected citizen of Montgomery, N. Y., has been identified with the affairs of that village for nearly half a century. He was born in the town of Montgomery in 1825, a son of Benjamin W. and Hannah (Hunt) McKinney. He has resided in the village since 1845 and in 1854 married Eliza Tindall, a member of one of Orange County's old families. One child, who died in infancy, was born to them. In 1860 Mr. McKinney was elected trustee of the village and in 1862 was appointed president of the corporation, holding that office three years, when he was appointed clerk of the village, which position he faithfully occupied for thirty-six years, resigning in 1901, since which time he has lived in retirement. His counsel is frequently sought in matters pertaining to the village. Mr. McKinney has been a member of the Presbyterian Church since 1867.

ROBERT J. McVOY, deceased, was one of the prominent agriculturists of Orange County. He was of Irish parentage. His father Hugh and mother Martha (Glascow) McVoy came from Ireland at an early period. Robert was born July 12, 1847, at Jackson's Corners, what was then Goshen. He attended the district and public school at Goshen, and assisted his father on the farm until the age of eighteen years. He rented farms at Bullville, Stony Ford, and Hamptonburgh successively for twenty-one years. He then purchased the late Theodore Jackson's farm, remaining there until his death, which occurred April 26, 1895. Mr. McVoy was united in marriage to Miss Alnetta Pierson Gillespie, of Montgomery, June 10, 1885. Two children were born by this union, Charles Felter, born August 21, 1886, and Sarah Maretta, born September 14, 1888, both residing at home. Mr. McVoy was a member of Wallkill Lodge, F. and A. M., and Court Wallkill, Foresters of America. He was a democrat and served as town collector several terms.

EDWARD MAIDMENT, of Warwick, was born at Shropshire, England, in 1840, and came to America with his parents when six years of age. The family located in Albany, where his father, Edward, established a bakery and confectionery business. He built up a large business and during the Civil War supplied the government with his goods.

Edward graduated from the Seward Institute as a civil engineer and for many years was in the engineering department of the N. Y. C. R. R. He later became manager for the Raritan Woolen Mills Co. and resided in Chicago. Since 1904 he has lived in retirement on his farm, the old Galloway homestead, in Warwick. He married Louisa Galloway and has three children, Alexander H. G., a lawyer of Hackensack, N. J.; Edward P., manager for Krause Milling Co., Milwaukee, Wis., for eastern New York and northern New Jersey, who resides at the homestead and also conducts a dairy business.

Alexander H. Galloway, Mrs. Maidment's father, was for many years one of Warwick's most important and progressive citizens, and promoted many financial institutions. He established the first creamery in Warwick, known as the Warwick Valley Milk Association. He was also interested in all social and religious projects. He died in 1884, survived by his wife, Hannah Louisa, who died March 9, 1907, aged ninety years.

W. H. MAILLER, senior member of the firm of W. H. & G. B. Mailler, was born in Cornwall in 1861. His father, Charles C. Mailler, was engaged in farming at Mountainville. After W. H. finished his schooling he spent two years in Brooklyn, and for a like period was in the employ of Samuel Ramsay. On April 1, 1886, he established his present meat market and in 1888 his brother George B. became a partner. Mr. W. H. Mailler married Miss Sophia J. Preston and three sons have been born to them. He has served as trustee of the village and school boards; also of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and the Order of American Mechanics. For twenty years he has been trustee of the local fire company. George B. Mailler is also actively identified with affairs of Cornwall village, and is a director of the Cornwall Savings Bank.

CHARLES E. MANCE, member of assembly from this district, was born in Ulster County, November 28, 1852, the place of his birth being then called Mance Settlement and now Cragsmoor. He came to Middletown with his parents when fourteen years of age, and has since that time made that city his home. After his district school education he attended the Middletown Public School. He served an apprenticeship in sign and ornamental painting, and later became a partner of H. J. Randall, with the firm name of Randall & Mance, which ended in 1878, when he was made assistant foreman in the painting department of the New York, Ontario & Western Railroad, and in June, 1883, was appointed master painter. His public service began with his election on the republican ticket as alderman from Middletown's Second ward in 1892. He was chosen president of the common council, and as such became acting mayor, after the death of Mayor Berry in 1897, for one year and four months. In 1900 he was elected mayor and served two terms. In 1906 the republicans elected him member of assembly and Speaker Wadsworth appointed him on the committees of agriculture, federal relations and fish and game. He is a member of Lancelot Lodge No. 169, K. of P., the Old Orchard Club, and an honorary member of Eagle Chemical Engine Co., of which he was foreman four years, and was first assistant chief of the Middletown Fire Department two years. He married Miss Augusta, daughter of Angus and Maria Taylor, May 28, 1874. They have two children, Frank A., who married Miss Belle Forrester, of Providence, R. I., and Mabel, wife of D. H. Ackerman, of Passaic, N. J. Charles E. is the only living of the seven children of John S. and Margaret Wilkinson Mance.

HIRAM G. MANN was born in 1839, July 11, at Florida, Orange County. His father was Hiram, and mother, Phoebe Cherry. They had eleven children. When Mr. Mann was ten years old his parents moved to Bellvale, Orange County, locating on a farm. Mr. Mann, in connection with farming, does pruning and rustic work, and his work may be seen at many of the finest places in Warwick and vicinity. He married Anna Royce, of Bellvale in 1863, March 18. Seven children have been born to this union and only one is living, Charles Mann, residing in New York, who follows civil engineering as a profession.

Mr. Mann takes an active part in local affairs and has been an ardent worker in politics. He is a republican, but never aspired to office. He served his country in the Civil War from September 10, 1861, to December 9, 1865. He is a member of the G. A. R.

ALBERT MANNING was born in the town of Greenville, Orange County, February 2, 1864. He attended the district school and graduated from the Port Jervis Academy in 1883. He taught school for three years, after which he was engaged in New York City for a period of six years in the manufacturing of bank and office fixtures. In 1897 he returned to the homestead, and assumed the management of the farm. Mr. Manning married Miss Hattie E. Green, daughter of Osmer B. Green and Harriet A. Thorn, of Otisville, N. Y., September 20, 1888. To this union one son, Frank LeRoy, was born, March 4, 1898.

Socially Mr. Manning is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. and A. M., of Middletown, Concordia Council, Royal Arcanum and Modern Woodmen of America. He is master of Pomona Grange of Orange County. His father, Ephraim Manning, was born in the town of Greenville, this county, December 11, 1839, on the old homestead, which was purchased by Benjamin Manning, his grandfather, who was of English descent. After completing his studies in the common school Ephraim attended the academy at Mount Rose, Pa.

He married Miss Caroline A. Rundle, of Greenville, November 21, 1861. To this union were born two children, Albert and Eva K., wife of Abraham Wyekoff, residing in New Jersey.

HULET MANNING, a successful agriculturist residing in the town of Greenville, was born in that town August 2, 1843. He is a son of John and Mary Ann (Smith) Manning, and has always resided on the farm formerly owned by his father. Mr. Manning is a member of Shawangunk Grange of Greenville, and a director of the Patrons of Husbandry, Fire Relief Association of Orange and Ulster Counties. In politics he is a republican and cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln. He married Elizabeth M., daughter of Alexander Remey, of Greenville, on December 23, 1864. Four children were born to this union, Hattie A., married Clement Van Etten, a farmer in Greenville; J. Edgar married Elsie Roberts, of Montclair, N. J., and is in business in New York; Mary A. married Bartow W. Bull, a farmer at Stony Ford, N. Y., and Clara D. married Theron Shute, a farmer in Greenville.

CHARLES WILLIS MANY, M.D., born May 10, 1868, at Goshen, Orange County, N. Y., is the son of Charles Matthews Many and Eliza Anna Francisco; grandson of John Vicary Many and Jane Howell Johnson, great grandson of Peter Johnson and Bethia Horton, and great-great-grandson of Thomas Horton and Susana Conklin. Thomas Horton acted as captain in Lieutenant-Colonel Marvin's regiment. Mr. Many is also great grandson of Barnabas Many and Mary Vicary and great-great-grandson of Annie Everet and Barnabas Many; the latter was a private soldier in the Revolutionary War. He assisted in signing articles of association in 1775 and served on the committee of safety and observation. When Mr. Many was one year old his family moved to Brooklyn, where he received his early training in the public schools and in Stafford private school. His mother died when he was sixteen, after which time he traveled extensively with his father. He began to read medicine very early in life and after leaving Brooklyn attended school at Wesleyan Academy, Wilbraham, Mass. He also attended the Long Island College Hospital, from which he graduated in the year 1894. On his graduation from the medical college he received a special diploma in physical diagnosis. He began practice immediately. In 1888 he married Miss Wilhelmina Martin, of Liberty, N. Y., whose ancestors were among the first to settle in Sullivan County. They soon afterward took up their residence in Florida, N. Y., where they have since remained. His three children are Lillian Grace, Clinton Alpheus and Myrtle June Many. Dr. Many has become medical examiner for the leading life insurance companies and in 1905 was appointed town physician. He is a member of the State Medical Association and the Orange County Medical Society. He is also a member of the Empire State Society of the Sons of American Revolution. In 1889 Dr. Many joined the Warwick Masonic Lodge, serving as senior deacon in 1900, senior warden in 1901, master in 1902-1903, assistant grand lecturer in 1904, and district deputy grand master in 1905-1906. It was during the last-named period that initiative steps were taken for the establishment of Lorillard Lodge at Tuxedo Park, a matter in which he was greatly interested and for which he labored diligently. In 1903 he was admitted to membership in Highland Chapter No. 52, R. A. M., Newburgh, N. Y.

A. W. MAPES, secretary of the Coldwell Lawn Mower Co., of Newburgh, was born in the town of Blooming Grove, his father, the late Edward Mapes, removing to Newburgh in 1854. Mr. Mapes is a graduate of the Newburgh Academy, class of 1857. His business education was acquired in the Highland Bank of Newburgh. While so employed he married Sarah E., daughter of the late John Parsons. This was at the beginning of the Rebellion, and soon after marriage he entered the United States Navy as paymaster's clerk. His war record runs from March 10, 1862, until September 30, 1866. A portion of this time was spent at the Brooklyn Navy yard, to which he was detailed because of his thorough knowledge of accounts.

During the later years of the war, and for over a year after its close he was attached to the United States frigate "Susquehanna." Upon resigning from the Navy he engaged in the mercantile business in New York City until 1883, when he returned to Newburgh as a member of the firm of Barnes & Mapes, provision dealers, at 62 and 64 Water street.

Mr. Mapes's health having become impaired, this partnership was dissolved in December, 1890. After a year's rest, Mr. Mapes again entered business life by assisting in the organization of the Coldwell Lawn Mower Co., of Newburgh. From the beginning of this business he has been a director and has taken an active part in building up a large trade. He attends especially to the New England and foreign branches of the business, spending the autumn months traveling throughout the eastern states and about four months each winter and spring in Europe.

ELMER L. MAPES was born on the homestead farm near Middletown, October 27, 1885. He attended the public school at Middletown, after which he worked at the glass cutting trade for two years. In connection with A. M. Horton he purchased the retail cigar and tobacco business of G. W. Bross. This partnership continued until November, 1907, when Mr. Mapes purchased Mr. Horton's interest and has since conducted the business. He married Miss Grace M. Wells, of Elmira, N. Y., June 27, 1907. Their one child, Erdean Harriett, was born June 13, 1908. Mr. Mapes is a member of Wallkill Council No. 92, Jr. O. U. A. M., and the Wallkill River Grange. In politics he is independent.

NELSON B. MAPES, who for the past fifty years has held the position of station agent for the Erie Railroad at Howells, Orange County, was born in the town of Wallkill, March 19, 1829. His father was John V. and mother Mary (Reeves) Mapes. Of their children Jeannette married Stephen Mapes, of Mount Hope, N. Y.; Albert Mapes living in Middletown, N. Y.; Nelson B. married Lucinda Mapes in 1853. Mr. Mapes served as justice of the peace in District No. 2 in the town of Wallkill for thirty years. With the Congregational Church our subject holds membership and has been an active member of the Howells Church for sixty years. Mr. Mapes was born on the farm and owned a farm previous to entering the employ of the Erie Railroad.

His father was an agriculturist and belonged to the Whig party. During the Civil War Mr. Mapes read the papers and dispatches to the crowd that always congregated at the depot to receive news from the front.

ROBERT D. MAPES was born at Howells Depot, Orange County, N. Y., September 14, 1862. He was reared on the home farm where he remained until 1886. In 1877 he engaged in the milk business in Middletown with his father, which partnership continued until 1886. He then purchased the interest of his father and continued the business alone until 1901. He is now in the livery business which he established in 1900. He married Miss Margaret Isabella Axford, of Howells, in 1886. She died March 24, 1901. He was again married June 15, 1902, to Hannah Eleanor Thompson, of Akron, Ohio. In politics he is a republican and takes an interest in matters pertaining to the town. He has served at different times as inspector of election.

SAMUEL MAPES, SR., on the 14th day of February, 1735, came to this town and settled on a portion of a tract of land of six hundred and forty acres, a portion of which the railroad station at Howells is now located on. He descended from a family originally immigrants from Wales, and since his settlement here the different generations have been noted for the great longevity of the members of the various families. It was nothing unusual to hear that many of them lived beyond eighty years, and frequently beyond ninety, and Selah R. Corwin, of Middletown, whose mother was Priscilla Mapes, was born December 29, 1809, and is now active and can be seen upon the streets almost any clear day at this time.

The name carried with it the characteristics of sturdiness, honesty and piety, and not inclined to seek public office.

At one time the family was so numerous that a portion of the town of Mount Hope was called Mapestown, but that name long since disappeared; however, there are many of their descendants yet living in this vicinity, although a large number are engaged in business in various other states.

JESSE DURLAND MARS, a successful medical practitioner, and one of the youngest in this profession in the county, was born September 7, 1880, at Bellvale, Orange County, N. Y. His parents, when the boy was still at an early age, removed to Florida, N. Y., where they reside at the present time. He first attended school at the Florida Academy, later entering the S. S. Seward Institute, from which he graduated in 1898. The two years immediately following were spent in teaching in order to prepare himself financially for college. In the fall of 1900 the young man entered the medical department of the University of Michigan. He always maintained a high average in his medical course and at his graduation in June, 1904, stood among the first in a class of one hundred. He successfully competed for an internship in the University Hospital at Ann Arbor, Mich., and spent the year 1904-1905 in that capacity. In order to further round cut his medical knowledge and experience a six-months' course in the Metropolitan Hospital in New York City was entered upon. Later on he was resident physician in the Jamaica Hospital, at Jamaica, Long Island.

At the beginning of the year 1906 Dr. Mars returned to Florida, where he had spent his youth, and began the practice of his chosen profession. He soon identified himself with the Orange County Medical Society, the New York Medical Society, and the American Medical Association, in all of which he is actively interested.

His father, Stephen Mars, was born in Germany in 1843. When twenty-two years of age he came to America, located in Orange County, and engaged in farming. In 1872 he married Annie Mary DeGraw, a native of Orange County. Eight children were born to this couple, Jesse D., the subject of this sketch, being the fifth.

On December 10, 1907, Dr. Mars married Estelle Otis, the second youngest daughter of Josiah and Elizabeth W. Otis. The Otis family is among the earliest residents of Orange County, the ancestors of Mrs. Mars having come over in the Mayflower. Dr. and Mrs. Mars now occupy the property of the late James A. Boyd.

JAMES G. MARTIN, of Middletown, was born of Irish parentage in Dublin, Ireland, February 1, 1852. He is a son of John and Ann Martin. His father and also his grandfather were architects and builders in the old country. His father died in Australia about 1880. The subject of this sketch was educated at Clongeswood College in Dublin, Ireland. He came to America in 1869, settling in Middletown, Orange County. He identified himself with Howell Hinchman & Co., remaining there a brief period, and then worked as journeyman at the moulder's trade for four years. In 1891 he formed a partnership with Thomas H. Butler and under the firm name of Butler & Martin built the present commodious shops. After a year Mr. Martin purchased his partner's interest and has since continued the business alone. In November, 1871, he married Miss Mary A. Cunningham, of Middletown; her death occurred in October, 1886. Five children were born by this union. He chose for his second wife Mrs. Annie (Houston) Kilbride, of Middletown, and they are the parents of two children. In local politics Mr. Martin takes an active part. He is a democrat and has served as supervisor. He is a member of the Port Jervis B. P. O. E. No. 645, the Knights of Columbus, and is an active member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church of Middletown.

CAPTAIN THOMAS S. MARVEL, head of the iron shipbuilding and engineering works which bears his name, was born in New York City, May 16, 1834. His father, who was a shipbuilder, came to Newburgh in 1836 and established a ship yard. Thomas S. was apprenticed to the trade of ship carpentry and at the age of twenty-one began business for himself. When the Civil War was declared he quited his business and raised a company which was mustered in October 28, 1861, as Company A, 56th New York Volunteers, with Captain Marvel in command. After serving fifteen months he resumed business in Newburgh, and with the exception of a few years spent in Staten Island has continued to make that city his home. In 1877 he engaged with Ward, Stanton & Co., to superintend the construction of their vessels. After the failure of this firm, Captain Marvel formed a partnership with John Delany to operate a ship yard. The business developed rapidly and has for years been one of the most important industries in Newburgh, giving employment to about two hundred and fifty men. The present officers of the company are: Thomas S. Marvel, president; Harry A. Marvel, vice-president and treasurer, and T. S. Marvel, Jr., secretary. The capital of the concern is $300,000.

Captain Marvel in 1861 married Hattie, daughter of John Burns, of Monroe, N. Y. They became the parents of two sons and two daughters.

HARRY A. MARVEL, superintendent of the T. S. Marvel Shipbuilding Co., a sketch of which appears elsewhere, was born in 1865 at Staten Island, and is a son of Captain Thomas S. and Hattie (Burns) Marvel. Since finishing his studies at the Newburgh Academy Harry has been associated with his father in the important industry of steel shipbuilding. Socially he is identified with the Masonic fraternity of Newburgh. He married Miss Katherine Vought, of Cornwall, and two children have been born to them.

F. N. MASON, a prominent business man of Port Jervis, N. Y., has resided there since 1860. After finishing his studies at the public schools he engaged with Mr. George Lea in the drug business and in 1875 entered the New York College of Pharmacy. He was subsequently in the employ of Mr. Lea, until 1888, when he became his partner, and in 1891 bought Mr. Lea's interest and continued the business alone until 1902, when his son became his partner.

Mr. Mason is a director of the National Bank of Port Jervis; president of the Port Jervis Telephone Co., and director of the Port Jervis Real Estate and Loan Association. He served two terms as trustee of the village and is now alderman of the city. In fraternal circles he is identified with the Masons, Elks and Odd Fellows. Mr. Mason married Miss Phoebe C. Everett and their son Mariner H. is the only child.

MICHAEL MAYER, manufacturer of cut glass in Port Jervis, N. Y., was born in the French province of Alsace-Lorraine in 1849 and came to America in 1866, locating in Brooklyn, N. Y. He operated a cut glass factory in that city until 1895, when he moved his plant to Port Jervis, N. Y., in the building formerly occupied by the Orange County Flint Glass Works. This concern is now one of the most important industries in the county. In 1871 Mr. Mayer was joined in marriage with Madeline Miller, a native of the same province as himself. The ceremony was performed in Brooklyn. Mrs. Mayer died in 1900. He chose for his second wife Mrs. Eva Krell in 1904, who died in 1906. By his first wife Mr. Mayer had four children: George, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; Edward, associated with his father as manager of the factory; Madeline, wife of John W. Kelley, of Port Jervis, and Josephine, wife of Wm. P. Gregg, of Port Jervis. In politics Mr. Mayer is a republican and holds the office of supervisor of the First Ward. He is a member of Port Jervis Lodge No. 645, B. P. O. E., and a director of the Port Jervis B. & L. Association No. 1. The family attends the Church of the Sacred Heart of Port Jervis.

CHARLES L. MEAD, LL.B., was born August 27, 1851, in the town of Wawayanda, Orange County, N. Y. His father, William H. Mead, was also a native of the town. The subject of this sketch, the eldest of the family, remained at home until fourteen years of age, when he became a student at the Wallkill Academy. He took a course at Claverack College, Columbia County, N. Y., from which he graduated in 1873. He then entered Princeton with the class of '77, where he was a student for two years. He entered Columbia Law School in New York in 1875, graduating in 1877 with the degree of LL.B., after which he opened a law office at Goshen, N. Y. In 1892 he was elected county treasurer.

Mr. Mead married Miss Fannie Tuthill, of Middletown, N. Y., June 5, 1878. He is a member of the Sons of the Revolution and a republican. He has represented his party in various conventions and was councilman for several years.

WALTER J. MEAD, president of the Montgomery & Erie Railroad, was born in Montgomery, February 16, 1824, a son of Walter and Elsie (Monell) Mead. As a young man he engaged in the grist mill business with his father and continued in that industry for forty or fifty years. Mr. Mead has been closely identified with the Montgomery and Erie Railroad, holding the office of superintendent, secretary, vice-president and president. He has also been very active in promoting educational matters in the village and served many years as trustee of the village school board, and president of the village board of trustees. Mr. Mead has been twice married; by his first wife, who was Laura C. Benedict, he had three children. For his second wife he chose Mrs. Ketura M. Miller, daughter of Henry W. Thompson, a prominent citizen of Goshen.

ALEXANDER MERRITT, a well-known undertaker and embalmer of Middletown, was born in the town of Blooming Grove, June 30, 1847. When fourteen years of age he came to Middletown and learned the carpenters' trade, which he followed seven years. In 1874 he engaged with his father-in-law, W. H. Knapp, as an assistant in his undertaking establishment, remaining with him until 1881, when he embarked in the cabinet manufacturing business. On March 1, 1891, he entered into partnership with W. Nelson Knapp in the establishment of an undertaking business, and eleven years from that time purchased Mr. Knapp's interest, and has since conducted the business alone. He is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. & A. M.; Middletown Lodge No. 112, I. O. O. F.; Concord Council No. 1077; Royal Arcanum and Launcelot Lodge No. 169, K. O. P.

Mr. Merritt married Miss May A. Knapp, September 3, 1873, and they have three children: Clarence N., married Ella Groo, and resides in Paterson, N. J.; Lulu May, married Robert Terhune, resides at East Orange, N. J., and Walter K., who married Frances H. Darbee, of Middletown. Walter assists his father in the management of the undertaking business.

THEODORE MERRITT represents the fifth generation of George Merritt and Glorianna Purday, who located in the town of Newburgh, 1747. Homestead at Middlehope, purchased by Humphry Merritt, 1758, now in possession of Daniel H. Merritt. Theodore in 1853 entered employ of John R. Gorham as druggist's clerk. In 1859 he purchased the business of John F. Van Nort and became his successor. In 1866 he purchased the property at 40 Water street, where the wholesale and retail drug business has since been conducted. In 1898 Mr. Merritt retired from active management and the firm of Theodore Merritt & Sons continued, composed of George H., Hiram and Theodore A. Merritt.

On July 17, 1907, George H. and Hiram purchased the interest of Theodore A. in the business, and now conduct it under the name of Theodore Merritt's Sons.

CHARLES S. MILES was born July 19, 1870, near Lake Station, Orange County. His father was William J., and his mother Elizabeth (Doty) Miles. Four children were born to this union: George E., born 1862; Edward D., born 1867; Charles S., and Mary E., born 1874, the wife of James Fintze, of Newark, Ohio. Mr. Miles acquired his education at the Warwick public school, after which he learned the printers' trade. He was identified with the county newspapers, also papers in New York and Brooklyn. He has been connected with the O. & W. Motive Power Department and the Road Department. He was married December 7, 1892, to Miss Minnie E. Shove, of Middletown, daughter of George and Julia Shove. Two children have blessed this union: Victor Edward, died at the age of thirteen months, and George W., born September 17, 1895. Socially he belongs to the O. & W. Shop Employees' Relief and Benefit Association, and is recording secretary of the Jr. O. U. A. M., Wallkill Council No. 92. He is a member and usher of the Methodist Church of Middletown. Mr. Miles was elected city treasurer in 1907.

Dr. JAMES J. MILLS is a native of Orange County, N. Y., and one of its leading professional men. He was born at Mount Hope, May 9, 1851. He is a son of Hon. Andrew J. Mills and Maria (Green) Mills and a descendant of Timothy Mills, an early settler of Long Island, whose son Ebenezer, born in 1757, was probably the first of the family to settle in Orange County. He is of Revolutionary ancestry. His maternal grandfather was related to Nathaniel Green, and his maternal grandmother was related to Nathan Hale, the patriot who was executed by the British as a spy, and whose statue adorns the City Hall Park, New York. At an early age Dr. Mills clerked in New York City for Alex. Hudnut, and in the Astor House drug store. He afterwards turned his attention to dentistry, and since April 8, 1878, has followed his profession in Port Jervis, N. Y. The doctor has been influential in promoting public improvements and establishing business enterprises. He was a member of the Board of Education, Board of Health, village trustee, town assessor, and held various other offices. In 1902-1904 he received the democratic nomination for member of assembly. Dr. Mills is a member of the New York State Dental Society, the Dental Society of the Ninth Assembly District, No. 328 F. and A. M. of Port Jervis, Chapter No. 86 and the Mecca Temple, Knights of Pythias, B. P. O. E., Minisink Valley Historical Society as an officer; served in Delaware Hose Company No. 2 of the Port Jervis fire department twenty years.

NATHAN D. MILLS, a manufacturer of Middletown, N. Y., was born at Circleville. Orange County, November 3, 1867. He acquired his education at the district school and Middletown Academy. During one year he was in New York City with Crawford & Valentine, contractors, who constructed the Brooklyn waterworks. After returning to Orange County he managed a farm for three years, and in 1895 purchased the wholesale and retail cigar business of Robert Sayer. In two years' time the volume of business was such that Mr. Mills found it necessary to erect a large factory building, 36 x 60 feet. The concern now gives employment to forty-five men. Mr. Mills was twice nominated for sheriff by the democrats of Orange County. In his first candidacy he carried Middletown by 861 majority and in his second by 415 majority. It was not expected that he would overcome the continuous republican majority in the county. He was master of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. & A. M., two years; is a member of Midland Chapter No. 240, Cypress Commandery No. 67, Mecca Temple of New York, Jr. O. U. A. M., and B. P. O. E. of Port Jervis. He is an honorary member of the Middletown Excelsior Hook and Ladder Company, worthy president of the Eagles of Middletown, and is identified with the Middletown Athletic Association, Old Orchard Club, Middletown Club, Newburgh City Club and Orange County Golf Club. He was married to Miss Mary Beakes, of Fair Oaks, N. Y., daughter of Howell and Anna J. Beakes, March 2, 1892. Their one child, Maurice, died when two and one-half years old. Mr. Mills' parents were Nathan J. and Julia Elizabeth Mills, and they had seven children, two of whom died in infancy and one at fourteen years of age. Those living are Anna M., wife of Charles E. Haight, of New York City; Lizzie J., wife of Virgil K. Carpenter, of Fair Oaks, N. Y., and Frank P. a resident of Bullville, Orange County. Mr. Mills is a descendant of an honored family and has achieved a success which ranks him with the solid financial men of his city and county.

SAMUEL CRAWFORD MILLS, for many years one of the leading business men of Newburgh, was born in Bloomingburg, Sullivan County, N. Y., March 9, 1839. He died at his home in Newburgh in 1904. Mr. Mills came to this city in 1857 and entered the dry-goods house of Stephen Hayt & Co. as a salesman, continuing with this house for nearly six years. In 1863 Mr. Mills formed a partnership with John Schoonmaker and A. Y. Weller to conduct a dry-goods establishment. The enterprise proved very successful, and Mr. Mills retired from the firm in 1885. For many years he was a director of the Quassaick National Bank and a trustee of the Newburgh Savings Bank.

Mr. Mills was twice married. His first wife, Miss Elizabeth Vail, died in 1868. For his second wife he chose Sarah, daughter of Hon. Stephen McDonald, of Elmira. Two children were born, Stephen McDonald and Mary Duryea. The latter is the only surviving member of this family. She is a member of Quassaick Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

In 1908 Miss Mills married Mr. Luther Winthrop Faulkner, of Lowell, Mass., where she now resides.

SAMUEL WICKHAM MILLS, D.D., was a native of Orange County, born in the town of Wallkill, April 5, 1820. The Mills family came to America from England. At the age of fifteen he entered Rutgers College at New Brunswick, N. J., where he graduated at the age of eighteen. In 1842 he graduated from the Theological Seminary at New Brunswick.

At Bloomingburg, Sullivan County, Dr. Mills began his pastoral work in 1843. At the end of fifteen years he located at Port Jervis, where he was engaged in preaching for fourteen years. He was married January 17, 1844, to Miss Amelia J. Bailey, daughter of Nathaniel Bailey, of Middletown, N. Y. She was born February 28, 1822, and died March 12, 1867. By this union there were six children. On the 29th of November, 1870, Rev. Dr. Mills was again married to Miss Amira St. John, of Port Jervis. He died November 27, 1902.

STOTT MILLS, postmaster at Warwick, N. Y., was born at Paterson, N. J., June 26, 1840. His parents were John and Sarah (Briarly) Mills, and both were of English extraction. The subject of this sketch acquired his education at the public school at Paterson. He was identified with the Rogers Locomotive Works for a period of four years. He enlisted in May, 1861, in Company A, Second Regiment, N. J. Vols., and was honorably discharged. He participated in all the important engagements in which his regiment was engaged, and became first lieutenant. After the close of the war he removed to Port Jervis, N. Y., and was connected with the Erie Railroad as foreman in the shops for a period of fourteen years. He went west for three years, after which he removed to Warwick, N. Y., and filled the position of master mechanic of the Lehigh and Hudson Railroad for sixteen years. In 1898 he was appointed postmaster at Warwick, which position he still holds. He was united in marriage to Melvina Jackson, of Amity, Orange County, May 17, 1865. To this union five children were born—Sarah, Anna, Isabel, John and Charles. In politics Mr. Mills is a republican. He is a member of Lincoln Post, G. A. R., of Newark, N. J., and attends the Episcopal Church of Warwick.

DR. THEODORE DENTON MILLS was born June 9, 1852, in Bloomingburgh, Sullivan County, N. Y., and is the son of Dr. Samuel Wickham and Almeda Jane (Bailey) Mills. The former, who was a clergyman, was descended in a direct line from George Mills, who was born about 1605, came from Yorkshire, England, in 1665, and died in Jamaica, Long Island, in 1694, at the age of eighty-nine. His son, Samuel, was born in 1631, and died in Jamaica, L. I., in 1726, at the age of ninety-five; he was the father of Jonathan, who was born in Jamaica, L. I., and had four sons, Timothy, Samuel, Isaac and Jonathan. Timothy, who was born at Jamaica in 1677, left that place and settled at Mills Pond, L. I., in 1693; he died March 30, 1751, aged seventy-four. His son Jonathan, who was born in 1710, at Mills Pond, L. I., and died in 1798, at the age of eighty-eight, was the father of Jacob, who was born in 1746 at Mills Pond, L. I. (near St. James); he moved to New Windsor, Orange County, N. Y., in 1768 or 1770, and soon after to the town of Wallkill, Orange County; he died in 1841, aged ninety-five years. His son Samuel, who was born in 1776 and died in 1860, at the age of eighty-four, was the father of the Rev. Samuel Wickham, mentioned above, who was born in 1820 and died in 1902, aged eighty-two. The maternal ancestors of Dr. Mills were old residents of Orange County, New York, his grandfather, Nathaniel Bailey, having been the son of Captain Daniel Bailey, a soldier in the Revolutionary army.

Dr. Mills was prepared for college at the private school of Professor A. B. Wilbur, of Port Jervis, N. Y., and in 1874 graduated as bachelor of arts from Rutgers College, New Brunswick, N. J., being junior orator and commencement orator, and receiving, in 1877, from the same institution, the degree of master of arts. He was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternities. He studied medicine with Dr. Henry R. Baldwin, of New Brunswick, N. J., and Dr. Henry Hardenbergh, of Port Jervis, N. Y. In 1876 he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University with the degree of doctor of Medicine, and from April of that year to October, 1877, was house surgeon in the first surgical division of Bellevue Hospital. He practiced medicine at Port Jervis, N. Y., from October, 1877, to January, 1881, when he removed to Middletown, N. Y., where he has been located since. He is attending surgeon to the Thrall Hospital and surgeon to the New York, Ontario and Western Railroad Company. He has been a trustee of the Middletown Savings Bank and of the Orange County Trust and Safe Deposit Company, and was for six years president of the Orange County Telephone Company and is a director of the Stivers Printing Company. He is a member of the County and State Medical Societies, the American Medical Association, the New York and New England Association of Railroad Surgeons and the International Association of Railroad Surgeons. He is a member of the Middletown Club and in politics independent. He is also a member of the Sons of the Revolution.

Dr. Mills married Christina, daughter of Hon. M. D. Stivers, of Middletown, October 20, 1867. They are the parents of the following children: Theodore Denton, Jr., born November 10, 1888, died January 14, 1889; Samuel Wickham, born January 4, 1892, and Elizabeth Stivers, born August 29, 1893.

GEORGE HENRY MILLSPAUGH was born in Goshen, Orange County, October 9, 1872. He received his education at the public school at Goshen, where he has since resided. He engaged in the laundry business in 1897 and now has the only steam laundry in Goshen, it being fully equipped with every modern convenience. In politics he is a republican. He is a member of Goshen Lodge No. 365, F. & A. M.; Goshen Social and Athletic Association, Cataract Hose Company and the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Millspaugh is active in all matters relating to the highest interest of the town in which he lives.

HECTOR W. MILLSPAUGH was born January 29, 1866, at Wallkill, Ulster County, N. Y. He was a son of Henry and Mary E. Millspaugh, there being five children in his parents' family. He received his early education at the district school. At an early age he identified himself with the New York Knife Co., of Walden, N. Y., learning the business in detail. He worked diligently for the interest of the company, remaining there twenty-five years. He married Miss Rosina Stickles, of Walden, daughter of Steven and Hanna Stickles, March 11, 1886. Two children were born to this union: Charles, born September 21, 1892; Etta, born April 4, 1888, both at home. In politics Mr. Millspaugh is a republican. He is at present supervisor of the town of Montgomery. Socially a member of No. 170 I. O. O. F., Freeman Lodge No. 310, Mohonk Tribe, Improved Order of Red Men, Henry Gowdy Council, American Mechanics of Walden, Court Orange No. 8, Foresters of America. His wife is a member of the Methodist Church of Walden.

THERON L. MILLSPAUGH, who has been engaged in the furniture and undertaking business for fifty years, is an honored citizen of Walden, N. Y. His ancestry in America dates back to Philip Millspaugh, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Theron L. was born in 1838, a son of Gilbert S. and Jane (Clineman) Millspaugh. At the age of seventeen he began his apprenticeship as cabinetmaker and in 1858 purchased the business from the widow of his former employer. His floor space at present covers over 10,000 square feet and is one of the finest furniture houses in Orange County. In 1862 he married Miss Eleanor D., daughter of Hon. David H. Smith, of the town of Montgomery. Two children have been born to them, Hattie C., now the wife of Dr. J. E. Sadlier, of Poughkeepsie, and Gilbert S., in business with his father. Mr. Millspaugh has served as deacon and elder of the Reformed Church, also on the Board of Village Trustees.

JOHN CLINTON MINTURN, of Bellvale, was born in the town of Warwick in 1853. In 1876 he opened a general store at Bellvale, which he is still conducting as well as one at Greenwood Lake, which he established several years ago. On January 11, 1877, he married Mary Ellen Hunter, of Greenwood Lake, and three children have been born to them, two of whom are living, John C. and Mamie E. John C. is assistant in his father's store. Mr. Minturn has served as school trustee several years. His father, James Minturn, was a farmer and mason and a descendant of Captain John Minturn, of Revolutionary fame.

EDGAR O. MITCHELL, M.D., Newburgh, N. Y., was born in New York City in 1864. When five years of age his parents removed to Newburgh. He was educated at Siglar's Preparatory School, Phillips (Exeter) Academy and Harvard University. He graduated from Harvard Medical College in 1892 and has since practiced in Newburgh. He is a member of the City and Powelton Clubs. Dr. Mitchell is a son of John James Mitchell, M.D., who has been one of Newburgh's foremost physicians for nearly forty years, and ex-president of the Homeopathic Medical Society of New York State. The family is of Puritan ancestry and direct descendants of Thomas Mitchell, who settled in Block Island, R. I., and bought one-fourteenth of the original share of the Island in 1677.

GEORGE R. MITCHELL, of Newburgh, who carries on an extensive business as a plumber and tinsmith and dealer in stoves and tinware, was born in Islip, L. I., in 1859. He came to Newburgh in 1871 and learned his trade with J. D. Mabie. He started in business for himself in 1886, opening a shop in Smith street. His present commodious quarters are located at 73 Second street. Mr. Mitchell married Miss Anna E. Campbell, of Newburgh, and has one son. He is trustee of the Associate Reformed Church and a member of Hudson River Lodge, F. & A. M.

BENJAMIN MOFFATT was born in the town of Blooming Grove, Orange County, N. Y., a son of Nathaniel and grandson of Samuel Moffatt, the first of the name who came from County of Antrim, Ireland, and settled in Blagg's Clove, Orange County, where he died May, 1787, in his eighty-second year.

Benjamin Moffatt, who inherited the strong, sterling characteristics of his Scotch-Irish ancestors, moved in 1840 to the then far West, Milwaukee, Wis., accompanied by his wife, who was Elizabeth Hulse, and their two infant daughters. Later the family moved to Illinois, where they resided many years and where the bright, beneficent influence of Mr. Moffatt reflected on all around him. He was an upright, honest, conscientious man, and every act of his life manifested the religious teachings of his younger days. In his hospitable home were entertained many travelers passing through the then frontier line of our country.

Mr. Moffatt was a charter member of the First Congregational Church of Milwaukee, Wis., and of the Second Congregational Church of Rockford, Ill. He was influential in the establishment of Beloit College, Beloit, Wis., and Rockford College, Rockford, Ill. He died June 9, 1857, in his sixty-sixth year, leaving his wife and three children, Melissa, Josephine and Gilbert, and the memory of a life which had a moulding influence for good in the home of his adoption.

GEORGE E. MORAN, SR., superintendent of the paper mills owned by the Diamond Mills Paper Company, located at New Hampton, N. Y., has been engaged for fifty years in the manufacture of paper. The Diamond Mills occupy the site of an industrial landmark in this section and is the property of Col. G. W. Thompson, of New York City, who bought it from E. Rosencrans in 1875. The plant has been greatly improved and additions made from time to time, including a one-hundred-foot addition across the creek in 1900. Employment is given to thirty persons, and the product averages two tons of finished tissue paper daily. An artesian well is on the premises and the plant is equipped with large and modern machinery.

Mr. Moran, who is an expert in the manufacture of fine paper, entered the employ of Col. Thompson some forty years ago and by energy and industry acquired his present responsible position. He is assisted by his son, George E., in the management of the business.

ARTHUR S. MOORE was born in Bay City, Mich., March 7, 1879. He attended the public schools and graduated in that city, afterward graduating from the Medical Department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1901. He was surgical intern at Ann Arbor Hospital one year, following which he was assistant at the Criminal Insane Asylum at Ionia, Mich., removing to Middletown in October, 1903. He is now connected with the Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital. Dr. Moore was married to Martha McCartney, of Bay City, Mich. He is a member of Knights of Pythias of Ionia, Mich., and of Ann Arbor Lodge, F. & A. M.

JONATHAN OWEN MOORE, son of Alexander and Hannah (Owen) Moore, was born in Washingtonville, Christmas Day, 1833, at the Moore homestead. As a young man he accepted a position in the Bank of Albany, where he remained until his enlistment as a soldier in the Civil War. He had the distinction of being the first man from New York State to receive an army commission. He was promoted from time to time and at the close of the war returned as captain of his regiment, known as the Wide-Awakes. He then married Miss Helen, daughter of Van Rensselaer Wilbur, of Albany. Returning to Washingtonville, he engaged in the furniture business for a number of years, and was also elected to the office of justice of the peace. Mr. Moore, familiarly known as "Owenie" Moore, has been a life-long staunch republican, working enthusiastically for the election of party candidates. In later years he lived in retirement in New York City, devoting his time to the settlement of estates. His daughter, Bertha, now Mrs. O. B. Stillman, of New York, has her country place at what is known as the Goldsmith homestead, near Washingtonville. Mr. Moore died in New York City in 1908.

JOHN W. MORLEY, son of James and Anna (Vought) Morley, was born at Cornwall, Orange County, N. Y., in 1867. After finishing his studies at the schools of Newburgh, he learned the hatter's trade, in which he was engaged for twenty years. In 1904 he established a grocery store at Gardnertown, which he is conducting with much success. Mr. Morley takes an active interest in politics and in 1905 was elected commissioner of the City and Town Home.

Socially he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Junior Order of American Mechanics and the International Hatters' Association. He was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Van Buren.

DAVID A. MORRISON, secretary of the Orange County Agricultural Society, 1858-1908, belongs to one of the old representative families of Orange County, where his entire life has been passed. He is of Scotch-Irish and Dutch ancestry. His paternal ancestors emigrated from Scotland to the north of Ireland during the seventeenth century. His great-great-grandfather, John Morrison, was born near Belfast, Ireland, in the year 1700, and came to this country prior to the Revolution. His son John, the founder of the family in America, had preceded him several years and settled on what is now known as the Morrison Homestead, in the town of Montgomery. He married Elizabeth Scott. They had nine children, one of whom was Hamilton, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, who inherited the home farm. He married Lydia Beemer, who was of Dutch descent, whose ancestors came from Beemersville, N. J., who lived to the advanced age of one hundred and three years. They had eight children, of whom Hamilton, the father of our subject, was the youngest but one.

Hamilton Morrison, the father of David A., was born August 24, 1804, at the Old Homestead which he inherited, and which has descended from father to son for five generations, or nearly one hundred and fifty years. He was one of the founders of the Orange County Agricultural Society, and continued to be one of its most devoted friends until his death in 1881. He filled at different times every office in the society except treasurer. He was elected a member of its executive committee eight times, was corresponding secretary from 1851 to 1857 inclusive, was vice-president twenty years, and president twice. He married Maria Mould, daughter of Jonathan Mould, of the town of Montgomery, and a lineal descendant of Christoffel Mould, one of the earliest Dutch settlers of the Wallkill Valley.

David A. Morrison is the second in a family of seven children. Jonathan M., of Montgomery, who was widely known and highly esteemed and who died in 1898; David A., George H. and John G., prominent and intelligent farmers who reside on the Homestead Farm, which contains nearly three hundred acres, and is now one of the best improved estates in the town of Montgomery; William H. H., a well-known, progressive and successful farmer on an adjoining farm; Mary J., who married Elijah C. Thayer, of Hamptonburgh, and died in February, 1901; and Elizabeth M., wife of William C. Hart, of Walden, N. Y.

Mr. Morrison was educated in public schools and the Montgomery Academy, and at the age of seventeen years became a teacher. He taught district schools in the towns of Montgomery, Hamptonburgh and Blooming Grove, and was principal of graded schools in the villages of Walden and Montgomery—in all about thirty terms.

In 1867 he was elected school commissioner for the First District of Orange County, serving until 1894—in all five terms, or fifteen years, a record that has never been paralleled in the State.

He has been secretary of the Orange County Agricultural Society for fifty years, and has attended every fair held by it since its organization in 1841. He is one of the mainstays of the society, and a man of education and ability.

In 1880 Mr. Morrison married Mary R. Lipsett, a daughter of the late Robert and Mary A. (Morrison) Lipsett, of the town of Montgomery, and granddaughter of Col. William Faulkner of Revolutionary fame.

In 1893 he removed to Newburgh, where he now resides.

He was nominated for Congress, against his earnest protests, in 1896, and, although running far ahead of his ticket, he shared the fate of his party, and was defeated by Benjamin B. Odell, Jr., since Governor of the State.

Mr. Morrison was county correspondent of the U. S. Department of Agriculture and Statistical Bureau of the Patent Office for forty years. He was one of the incorporators of the Columbus Trust Company of Newburgh, N. Y., and has been one of its directors and a member of its executive committee since its organization, and is now its vice-president.

He is president of the Board of Trustees of Union Presbyterian Church, Newburgh, N. Y.; vice-president of the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands; a trustee of Washington's Headquarters, Newburgh, N. Y.; a member of the Empire State Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, and president of Newburgh Chapter, S. A. R.; and a life member of the New York State Agricultural Society.

HAMILTON MORRISON was born August 24, 1804, at the old homestead, which is now occupied by his sons, George H. and John G. This property has been handed down from father to son since long before the Revolution. It contains two hundred and sixty acres of land and is one of the best improved estates in the town of Montgomery.

His paternal family included eight children, of whom our subject was the youngest but one. His parents were Hamilton and Lydia (Beemer) Morrison. The former, a native of Ireland, crossed the Atlantic and landed on the American shore when a mere lad, accompanied by his father, John. The latter took up the land which is still in the Morrison family. Hamilton married January 10, 1827, Maria, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth Mould; she died March 26, 1868. To our subject and his wife the following children were born: Jonathan M., married Margaret Windfield; David A., married Mary R. Lipsett; George H., unmarried; Mary J., married Elijah Carpenter Thayer; John G., unmarried; William H. H., married Agnes Horton.

Hamilton Morrison passed his entire life on this farm in the town of Montgomery. When a young man he taught school and after marriage gave his attention to cultivating his broad acres.

He was very successful in his undertakings. He was foremost in founding the Orange County Agricultural Society, of which he was president for many years. He died October 25, 1881.

The family is progressive and one of the most influential in the county. In politics it is democratic, as was also their father.

His son, George H. Morrison, has recently published a complete genealogical chart of the family in America.

GEORGE MOSHIER, retired contractor, was born in Newburgh, N. Y., April 19, 1838. He learned the carpenters' trade and from 1866 to 1907 was engaged in the contracting and building business, having erected many of the most substantial buildings in Newburgh and vicinity.

He was a member of the Board of Water Commissioners from 1884 to 1889. In 1899 he was elected a member of the Board of Supervisors, and has been successively re-elected for five terms, serving two terms as chairman. He is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity and president of the Masonic Veterans' Association; member of the Newburgh Historical Society and an active member in Trinity Church.

In 1862 he married Miss Caroline Tilton. Their children are Anna, George, Jr., and Mabel. Mr. Moshier's ancestors resided in or near Newburgh many years previous to the Revolution. Two of them were soldiers in the Continental Army, serving with distinction.

EDWARD M. MURTFELDT, born Newburgh, 1853; entered employ of Peck & Van Dalfsen's furniture house in 1869. In 1879 he purchased Joseph H. Powell's undertaking and furniture establishment, which he conducted on the same site until 1895. At present engaged as funeral director at 77 Second street, Newburgh. In 1894 he assisted in organization and became president of the Highland Furniture Mfg. Co.; served a number of years as alderman and president of council and has served as acting mayor; also was a member of the Board of Public Works. He has taken all the chairs in Masonry and has been an officer in Highland Chapter No. 52 and commander of H. R. Commandery No. 35. Mr. Murtfeldt is of German descent; a son of Henry W. and Mary Frances (Worden) Murtfeldt. In 1872 he married Miss Anna A. McCord; six children have been born to them. He is at present the president of the Masonic Veterans' Association, of Newburgh, N. Y., and has held office in the Grand Commandery, State of New York. He is at present the district deputy of the Thirteenth District of the Grand Lodge, a Thirty-second Degree Mason and grand marshal of the Consistory of New York City. He has been regent of Newburgh Council of the Royal Arcanum and its treasurer for a number of years. Member of the City Club.


Back to IndexNext