FRANK D. MYERS, M.D., of Slate Hill, N. Y., is a descendant of one of Orange County's oldest families. He was born in the town of Greenville, N. Y.. where he attended public school. This was supplemented by a course of private tutoring near Newburgh, after which he taught school two years in the town of Minisink. Dr. Myers graduated in medicine from the University of Michigan in 1887, and has since been engaged in practice at Slate Hill. He is a member of the County and State Medical Societies, and the American Medical Association.
He married Miss Margaret Hall, of Ridgebury, and a son, Frank D., was born to them in 1908.
Dr. Myers is a son of Samuel S. and Mary Elizabeth (Elston) Myers. His grandfather was Daniel C. Myers, his great-grandfather Daniel Van Auken Myers, and his great-great-grandfather Daniel, the first of that name in this locality, who participated in the battle of Minisink. The flint lock musket he carried is in the possession of Dr. Myers. The homestead upon which this man settled has remained in the possession of the family and is now owned and occupied by Floyd E. Myers, a brother of the doctor.
GEN. ALFRED NEAFIE—Alfred Neafie was born in Walden, Orange County, N. Y., January 8, 1832, being the son of Cornelius Neafie, a member of one of the old Knickerbocker families, who came to New York in 1637.
Cornelius Neafie built the first cotton mill in Orange County and the second in the State. As a boy Alfred Neafie, fond of hunting and fishing and of an adventurous turn of mind, it is not strange that he should at the age of nineteen, start for the newly discovered gold fields of California.
It was in 1851 that he left in a sailing vessel, theGrecian,for the six months' voyage "'round the Horn."
His first vote was cast in the canyons of the North Yuba in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. During his successful career in California he was a member of the celebrated Vigilance Committee and was one of those who helped to apprehend the famous outlaw "Yankee Sullivan," and was present at the trial and hanging of Juaquin Murat and "Three-Fingered Jack."
Returning home at the death of his father and starting in business in Ellenville, N. Y., yet at the outbreak of the war Mr. Neafie put aside personal interests and went to the front. He was offered the captaincy of the Walden Company of the 124th Regiment, but declined it, as he had already raised nearly two companies of what became the 156th Infantry.
His military record is to be found in brief in the Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army, Vol. 1, page 741, as follows:
"Neafie, Alfred, N. Y., N. Y. Capt. 156th N. Y. Inf., 13th Sept., 1862; Lt.-Col., 9th Jan., 1864; Lt.-Col. Vols., 13th March, 1865, for gal. and meritorious services at Battle of Winchester and Fisher Hill, Va., and Brig.-Gen. Vols., 13th March, 1865, for conspicuous gallantry at Winchester, Va., 19th Sept., 1864. Mustered out 23d Oct., 1865."
During the war Gen. Neafie was provost marshal of Alexandria, La., and Baton Rouge.
While at Savannah he held the offices of supervisor of trade, collector of military taxes, relief commissioner and assisted in the repatriation of the South, as by virtue of seniority of rank he was chief of staff of the department.
A few of the brilliant and picturesque events of his military career were:
After the capture at Washington, Ga., of the archives of the Confederacy, which included records of Generals Beauregard, Polk, Joseph E. Johnston and Albert Sidney Johnston, $300,000,000 of cotton bonds, $760,000 in gold and silver and thirty wagon loads of valuable jewelry and personal articles, General Neafie, with two federal officers and two treasury agents, inventoried and sent to their proper owners, scattered all through the Southern States, all private property, while all public property was turned over to the United States Government. This was done in about two months.
As General Grover's chief of staff, General Neafie received Jefferson Davis when he was captured and delivered him to Lieutenant-Commander (now admiral, retired) Luce, in command of the double-enderPontiac,in Savannah River.
Jefferson Davis, Jr., a most lovable boy about ten years old, was a guest in the house in Savannah where General Neafie lived, they drove together daily and a great affection sprang up between the two.
His early death of yellow fever in Memphis was a sorrowful event for all who knew him.
General Neafie with General Grover was present at the solemn and thrilling raising of the flag at Fort Sumter, four years to a day from the time it was lowered by Sergeant Hart.
It was taken from the sealed mail bag, where it had been placed by Sergeant Hart, who now released it from its leathern prison, and once more raised to its place of honor.
When this was done it was seen that the flag was pierced by at least thirty shell fragments, and was ragged and torn; not a star had been shot away.
When that fact was disclosed to the men who had been fighting four years to keep the stars of our Union together, the emotion was too great for expression.
But from outside came the noisy welcome from the battered and indented ironclads and monitors, who had been circling around waiting to give tongue with their cannon throats.
Since the close of the war, General Neafie has led a business life of wide and varied interests, with homes in Ellenville and Goshen, N. Y.
MOSES F. NELSON, notary public, real estate and insurance broker of the town of Highlands, Orange County, N. Y., was born at Highland Falls in 1867, and for the past seventeen years has been identified with public affairs of his native place, serving as tax collector, clerk and member of the Board of Education and justice of the peace. He is a son of the late Cornelius Nelson, who for thirty years was postmaster at Highland Falls and who was also engaged in the fire insurance and real estate business, which was conducted under the firm name of Cornelius Nelson & Son, and to which he succeeded.
Socially Mr. Nelson is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He married Miss Mary Adolph in 1893; they have three daughters.
THE NICOLL FAMILY—Within the corporate limits of Washingtonville, N. Y., lies a farm of one hundred and forty-five acres which bears evidence of the supervision of an energetic and capable family. This place is known as the Nicoll homestead, and was occupied for over a quarter of a century by John Nicoll, who died in 1874. As the name indicates he was of Scotch descent. The progenitor of this family in America was Dr. John Nicoll, who emigrated to this country in 1711 and settled in New York. He became one of the leading men of the colony and acquired the ownership of a large amount of property, having among his possessions fourteen thousand, five hundred acres of land in the Minisink Patent. He died in 1743 at the age of sixty-four.
John Nicoll was born in Hackensack, N. J., in 1799, and in early life was engaged in the mercantile business in New York City, whence he removed to Orange County in 1844. By his first marriage to Juliana Thompson, one son, William, was born, who died at the age of twenty-six. The second wife of Mr. Nicoll bore the maiden name of Elizabeth H. White and was born in Blagg's Cove in 1808. She died in 1855. To this union eight children were born, of whom Charles and Elizabeth White (now the wife of Andrew S. Glover) reside in Washingtonville. Another son, Isaac, met death while leading his company in the battle of Gettysburg in 1863. On the soldiers' monument at Salisbury Mills is this inscription: "To the memory of Captain Isaac Nicoll, Company G, 124th N. Y. S. V., and the men of Blooming Grove who fought in the war for the unity of the Republic, 1861-1865."
REV. STANISLAUS J. NOWAK, rector of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Florida, N. Y. In the year 1893 our Polish neighbors at Florida, N. Y., after mature deliberation and consultation, concluded to have their own church, and the necessary steps were taken to secure the approval of the church authorities for their project. Having demonstrated the feasibility of the idea, and the necessary approval having been obtained, Messrs. John and Anton Dulski, Joseph Andryszak, Joseph Wozniak, Ignatius Brink and John Majorowski were appointed as collectors, and succeeded so well that within two years over two thousand dollars were subscribed.
On July 2, 1895, Rev. Stanislaus J. Nowak was appointed and entered on his work as rector of the new church. Father Nowak is a native of Posen—Germany-Poland—studied at Germany and at Rome and came to this country at the express wish of Archbishop M. A. Corrigan, and finished his theological studies and was ordained priest at the Provincial Seminary at Troy, N. Y., by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Tierney, of Hartford. After spending a short while at Shokan, Ulster County, Father Nowak was appointed as assistant to the Very Rev. Dean Sweeny, of St. Joseph's Church, Kingston, N. Y., and while there Father Nowak received his appointment as rector of the Polish Church. Since coming to Florida, N. Y., Father Nowak has been a successful as well as an indefatigable worker, and under his supervision the church was ready for the dedication in November.
With all the pomp and ceremonial of the Catholic ritual, the new church of the Polish congregation at Florida was dedicated on Sunday, November 10, 1895, by Archbishop Corrigan, to the service of God under the patronage of St. Joseph. The solemn high mass on that date was celebrated by the Very Rev. E. M. Sweeny, of Kingston, N. Y. (with whom Father Nowak lived as assistant before coming to Florida). Father McCorry, of Goshen, acted as deacon, and Father Nowak as sub-deacon, and Father Connolly, the archbishop's secretary, acted as master of ceremonies.
After the gospel had been chanted by the deacon, his grace, the archbishop ascended the steps of the altar and after a few very well chosen words of congratulation to the pastor and people on the happy culmination of their work in offering a church free of debt for the purposes of divine worship, preached an able and scholarly sermon on the holiness of the church, and during his remarks he was listened to with rapt attention, showing that his words had made a very deep impression. The Polish sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. M. Barabasz, of Baltimore, Md.
The rectory was built the same year and occupied in December. St. Joseph's congregation owns its own cemetery, which was blessed in October, 1896, and is located at Union Corner.
In July, 1892, Father Nowak was transferred to New York City, where he organized a new Polish congregation, and established St. Joseph's Home for the Polish Immigrants on Broad street.
Father Michael Slupek was in charge of St. Joseph's Church at Florida for nearly two years, and was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Kloss, who was pastor of St. Joseph's until October, 1902. At that time Father Nowak returned to St. Joseph's, and under his management the church is freed from debt again.
The church will be enlarged this year, as it is too small for the congregation. There are thirteen hundred Polish people in Florida and vicinity. The Poles of Florida are showing a desire and aptness to develop into a most industrious and desirable class of citizens.
ARTHUR E. O'CONNORwas born March 10, 1867, at Brooklyn, N. Y. He is a son of John S. and Hanna (Marrett) O'Connor. To this union seven children, one son and six daughters, were born. There are five living: Anna, wife of Timothy O'Connell, of Honesdale, Pa.; Mary, wife of Thomas Cusick, of Goshen, N. Y., and two daughters residing at home and two are dead. The subject of our sketch attended the public school at White Mills, Pa. His father was identified with C. Dorfinger for twenty-five years at White Mills, Pa., and operated a cut glass factory at Hawley, Pa. Arthur started the cut glass factory at Goshen in 1900, which has enjoyed a prosperous business since. Mr. O'Connor's father was the oldest practical cut glass man in the world, and was sergeant in the 69th Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, and his grandfather, Neal O'Connor, was a captain of the New Orleans Rangers in the Mexican War. Arthur married Catherine Langan, of Hawley, Pa., February 20, 1888, and to this union were born three sons and one daughter, Mary, who holds the position of bookkeeper at the Goshen factory. John graduated in 1907 at Hawley, Pa., and is now foreman at the Goshen factory. William and Arthur are attending school at Goshen. Mr. O'Connor employs forty men at his factory.
HON. BENJAMIN B. ODELL—In reviewing the life of this venerable and distinguished citizen of Newburgh, a few words regarding his ancestry will not be amiss. The family is of French and English descent, but has been represented in America for many generations. His grandfather, William Odell, was born in New York City, and there for some years he was proprietor of the Bull's Head Tavern. In 1835 he moved to Orleans County, N. Y., where he bought a tract of land and with the assistance of his two sons improved a valuable farm. His death occurred there at the age of more than ninety years.
Isaac Odell, the father of our subject, was born in Tarrytown, Westchester County, N. Y., and reared in New York City, whence, about 1820, he came to Orange County, settling on the DeWitt Clinton farm at Little Britain, where he remained until 1830, when he removed to Newburgh and was employed in the freighting business with the firm of Powell, Wardrop & Johnson, with whom he remained until his retirement from business. He died at the age of sixty-five. His wife, Mary A., was also a native of Westchester County. She died in New York City in her eighty-first year. Their family consisted of two sons and two daughters, of whom Benjamin B. was the second in order of birth. He was born in the Governor Clinton homestead, New Windsor town, September 10, 1825, and reared in Newburgh, where he attended the public schools. In 1843 he entered the employ of B. W. Van Nort, in the restaurant and hotel business where he remained until 1847, when he embarked in business for himself, opening a restaurant in Third street. Twenty years later he sold and abandoned the business permanently.
Mr. Odell foresaw a promising field in the ice business, and in 1863 purchased from James R. Dixon the ice property now known as Muchattoes Lake, and conducted the business personally until 1886, when he organized the Muchattoes Lake Ice Company, of which he has since remained president.
Mr. Odell was one of the organizers of the Columbus Trust Company in 1892, and was the first president, but resigned after one year in office. He is president of the Central-Hudson Steamboat Company and a director in the Orange County Traction Company.
For over sixty years Mr. Odell has been prominently identified with the administration of public affairs of Newburgh and Orange County. In 1863 he was trustee of the village; 1865, alderman from the Third ward; 1879, supervisor of the town of New Windsor; 1880 to 1883, sheriff of Orange County. In 1884 he was elected mayor of Newburgh, continuing in that office until 1890, when he refused to be a candidate for another term. In 1894, however, he was again nominated and reelected mayor, serving until 1900. During the twelve years of his administration the city witnessed the creation of many public improvements and an era of great progress and increase in population.
Amid the multiplicity of his public and private affairs, Mr. Odell has never allowed his religious duties to be neglected, in the American Reformed Church he has been an official, serving at different times as elder and deacon. In 1850 he married Miss Ophelia, daughter of Hiram Bookstaver, of the town of Montgomery. Eleven children were born to them, of whom four are living: Benjamin B., Jr., Governor of New York State (1900 to 1904); Hiram B., postmaster of Newburgh; Clara, who resides with her father, and George C. D., professor in Columbia University, New York City.
By his energy and resolute character, coupled with a genial disposition, Mr. Odell has not only advanced his own success, but has given an impetus to the growth and prosperity of Newburgh by his progressive spirit and enterprise.
HIRAM B. ODELL, postmaster, Newburgh, N. Y., is the son of Hon. Benjamin B. and Ophelia (Bookstaver) Odell, and was born August 21, 1856. After finishing his studies he engaged with his father in the conduct of a large ice business. In 1886 he was elected a director and superintendent of the Muchattoes Lake Ice Co. In 1891 he was appointed superintendent of the Newburgh Electric Light, Heat and Power Co. From 1880 to 1882 he was under sheriff of the county, in charge of the Goshen court-house, his father then being sheriff. He received his present appointment March 1, 1900, and was reappointed by President Roosevelt in 1904 and again in 1908. Mr. Odell married Miss Edith Booth, of Kingston.
JAMES ALSOP OGDEN, only son of William L. and Louise Baker Ogden, was born in the town of Mount Hope May 28, 1861. His entire home life has been in Warwick, to which his father moved when the boy was only nine months old. He died December 5, 1905.
Mr. Ogden was educated in Warwick Institute and at Hartwell's Private School in Unionville. He married Miss Virginia R. Geraghty, of Warwick, in 1889, and is survived by her and one daughter, Mary, who is a graduate of the Warwick high school; also by two sisters, Alveretta, wife of Maurice Pelton, and Mary, wife of Dr. S. E. Holly. In 1889 he and his brother-in-law, Mr. Pelton, succeeded his father in the hardware business with the firm name of Ogden & Pelton. His father died in 1902. James Ogden was a member of the Warwick band for many years. He was one of the founders of the Warwick Athletic Association, and a member of the Warwick Club, in which last he served as trustee and treasurer. He was one of the charter members of the Warwick Gun Club, and a director in the First National Bank.
JOSHUA OLDROYD was born in Yorkshire, England, January 29, 1838. His early education was acquired while working in the woolen mills of that place, attending school one-half day and working the other half. He also attended night school for several years. His trade was that of a hand loom weaver. When eighteen years of age he came to America, and was employed in the woolen mills at Mechanicstown, Orange County, from 1856 to 1858. The following four years he was in charge of the woolen mills at Millow, Wawayanda township. He was later employed in mills at Newtown, Connecticut, and afterward owned woolen mills at East Granby, Conn. In 1875 he removed to Newburgh and took charge of a horse blanket printing machine manufactory, remaining there only a few months, when he returned to Mechanicstown, and operated woolen mills there for five years. He then conducted a felt boot manufactory at Howells for a period of twenty-one years. He sold his business at Howells, and went to Philadelphia and took the management of the Watkinson Felt Boot Factory Co., remaining there two years. He was obliged to remove back to Middletown owing to ill health, where he has since resided in retirement. He married Miss Hanna Newsome, daughter of James Newsome, of Mechanicstown, March 6, 1861. One child was born to this union, who died in infancy. In the fall of 1905 his townsmen of the Third ward nominated him for alderman. He was victorious and has since held the office. He was a delegate to the Republican state convention eight years. He attends the Episcopal Church and is a member of Hoffman Lodge, No. 412, F. and A. M., of Middletown, N. Y.
WILLIAM H. O'NEAL was born at Goshen, Orange County, N. Y., March 3, 1836. He acquired his education at various district schools in the county. At the age of sixteen years Mr. O'Neal began learning the painting and decorating trade. He married Sarah E. Stone, of Denton, N. Y., December 31, 1855. They had three children, Sarah Louise, Henry Lincoln and Charles Francis. His wife died February 9, 1881. He afterward married Lydia F. Hall of Goshen, N. Y., July 27, 1882. She died March 1, 1892.
Mr. O'Neal worked at his trade in New York City twenty years, going there in 1856. He worked at the navy yard for eleven years. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of Goshen Lodge, No. 365, F. and A. M., and served as master of lodge two years. At the breaking out of the Civil War Mr. O'Neal enlisted in the 84th Regiment, entering as private and later being promoted to captain. He served in the defense of Washington and was honorably discharged. In 1863 he re-enlisted and served for some time in the Shenandoah Valley.
HON. JOHN ORR, former assemblyman from the first district of Orange County, was born in Cornwall, N. Y., March 5, 1859. He is a son of William and Margaret (Elliott) Orr, and is engaged in the flour and coal business at Orr's Mills, which is now one of the industrial landmarks of the town of Cornwall. Mr. Orr was educated at public and private schools, finishing with a three-year course at Leipsic, Germany. On his return home he became a member of the firm of William Orr & Sons, dealers in flour, feed and coal.
Politically Mr. Orr is a Republican, and has taken an active part in promoting the welfare of his party, not only in his native town but throughout the county. In addition to representing this district in the state legislature for four years, he was elected a member of the board of supervisors, where he served nine years. He has held public office in the town of Cornwall for a period of twenty years. Mr. Orr is particularly well posted on questions of taxation and parliamentary usage, and in close touch with the farming community, recognizing their needs and desires. He enjoys the reputation of being a pleasant after-dinner speaker.
Mr. Orr is prominently identified with various fraternal organizations, including Free Masonry. In August, 1900, he was elected great sachem of the Improved Order of Red Men, state of New York, and has also held the office of president of the Association of Tribes of the Hudson Valley.
In 1888 Mr. Orr was united in marriage with Miss Angelique Veith, of New York City. They are the parents of two children, Alice and Walter.
HERMAN OTTO was born in Saxon, Germany, February 22, 1848. He came to America in 1869 and married Emma Wolf, of New Britain, Conn. Nine children were born to this union: One daughter died at the age of seventeen years; Emma, wife of Ira Smith, of Monroe, N. Y.; Herman, who resides in New York City; Frank, of Windham, Ohio; Charles, of Monroe, N. Y.; Annie Mae, of New York City; Arlyne Elsie, Harry and Paul, residing at home.
Mr. Otto is a member of Luther Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Middletown, and of the Cigar Makers' Union of Middletown. His estate, comprising one hundred and eighteen acres, is under substantial improvement. Mr. Otto does not depend entirely on the products of his farm, for he has a well established cigar manufacturing business, which he has carried on successfully for many years. In politics he is a Republican and takes an active interest in local affairs.
GEORGE A. OWEN, dealer in general merchandise at Washingtonville, N. Y., was born in that village in 1842, a son of Hon. Albert G. and Phoebe M. (Breed) Owen. His father was also a merchant here, and actively identified with public affairs in Orange County. He was one of a committee of three to organize the famous 124th Regiment. He served several terms as supervisor of the town of Blooming Grove, and was elected a member of the state assembly in 1849-1850. In 1890 Mr. George Owen succeeded to a business that was established in 1812 by Samuel Moffatt. The firm name was subsequently known as Samuel Moffatt & Son, and David H. Moffatt, who disposed of it in 1832. Various merchants conducted the store previous to Mr. Owen, who has enlarged the original building and erected the adjoining post office. In 1905 his son, Walter D., became a partner. Mr. Owen is a trustee of the Moffatt Library and Presbyterian Church. He is also a charter member of the fire company. In 1876 he married Miss Isabelle Board and six children have been born to them.
OSCAR E. OWEN was born February 28, 1845, at Ridgebury, N. Y. His early education was acquired at the old Wallkill Academy. After finishing school he learned the monumental work and he was identified in that business until 1902, when he retired. He married Emily F. Mapledoram, of Monticello, Sullivan County, N. Y., July 28, 1868. One son was born of this union, Clifford A., born June 7, 1872. He is teller in the First National Bank of Middletown. Mr. Owen is a Republican and has served the city two terms as alderman. He is a member of the Universalist Church. His father, John C. Owen, was born in the town of Minisink, Orange County, N. Y. He was born July 16, 1806, and died at his daughter's home, Mrs. W. W. Hartford, in Middletown. He was a son of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Carpenter) Owen, and was brought up on the farm. At the age of twenty-one he entered the mercantile business at Huguenot, removing to Smith's Corners after two years. He married Adeline, daughter of Moses Durland, February 16, 1833. In 1837 he moved to Ridgebury and ran a general store. In 1847 he moved to his farm left him by his uncle, Jesse Parshall, Remaining on the farm a few years, he removed to Ridgebury, where he started a marble yard, and he continued in that business until 1866 in Ridgebury and Middletown. Then he engaged in the grocery business in Middletown, which he continued for some years, finally selling out to his son-in-law, W. W. Hartford. He afterward purchased a residence at 177 North street and retired from active business, remaining in the home until the death of his wife, February 16, 1892, the fifty-ninth anniversary of their marriage. He took an active interest in church work and was a Republican in politics.
ZAEL PADDLEFORD,merchant, of Monroe, N. Y., was born in Broome County, N. Y., in 1866. He came to Monroe in 1891 as foreman of the creamery, occupying that position about four years. In 1894 he established his present store, and a year later formed a partnership with George R. Conklin, under the firm name of Paddleford & Company. Mr. Paddleford has served six years as supervisor of the town and is now president of the village. He is secretary of the Orange and Rockland Electric Company. Socially Mr. Paddleford is identified with the Masonic fraternity. He married Miss Isabella S. Kinney, of Iowa, and their son, Bruce K., is attending school in New York City.
THE PALATINE HOTEL, H. N. and F. N. Bain, proprietors. The appointments, accommodations and interior aspect of the Palatine are ideal. It is the largest hotel in Orange County and conveniently located in the heart of the city of Newburgh. The house contains one hundred and sixteen rooms, about one-half of which are so arranged that they may be used separately or en suite for families. The house, was established in 1893 and is under the personal supervision of Mr. F. N. Bain, who conducts it in accordance with the most modern methods.
WILLIAM A. PARSHALL is a scion of an old and distinguished Orange County family. Jonathan Parshall, his great great grandfather, moved to Little Britain in the town of New Windsor, from Long Island, in 1737. His son David fought for American freedom in the Revolutionary War. Mr. Parshall's father, Caleb Parshall, was born on the old homestead, but when he reached man's estate he moved to the farm in Walden, where William A. was born, December 9, 1865.
In 1870 the family moved to Port Jervis, and the boy was sent to the public schools, graduating from the high school in the class of 1883. The following year he entered Yale and was graduated in 1888. During his senior year he was awarded the medal by the Cohden Club of London, England, for work in political economy. Mr. Parshall went to the Albany Law School and completed the course in 1889. Returning to Port Jervis, he entered the law office of Hon. Lewis E. Carr and in May, 1890, was admitted to the bar. The following October, he entered into partnership with Hon. O. P. Howell and R. Ed. Schofield, and the firm was known as Howell, Parshall & Schofield. On September 1, 1893, he withdrew from the firm and has since been successfully engaged in the practice of law in an office of his own. He has been a director of the National Bank for fourteen years, is a director of the Port Jervis Telephone Company, the Co-Operative Loan and Savings Society, Orange County Building and Loan Association, No. 2, and is an auditor of Port Jervis Building and Loan Association. He has also taken an active interest in politics, and when a young lawyer served the town of Deer Park in the office of town clerk. At present he is the attorney for the city of Port Jervis, and for twelve terms was corporation counsel for the village of Port Jervis. In 1903 Mr. Parshall was elected a member of the board of education and since 1904 has been its president. For the past seventeen years he was a trustee of the Presbyterian Church. On June 1, 1903, Mr. Parshall was united in marriage with Miss Christine Senger, daughter of Lewis C. and Florence Corwin Senger. They have three children.
ARTHUR PATCHETT, who for over twenty years was prominently identified with business and social affairs of Orange County, was born in England in 1847 and died at Montgomery, N. Y.. November 30, 1901. Mr. Patchett came to America in 1872, locating at Philadelphia, where he followed the business of worsted manufacturer. In 1880 he removed to Montgomery and with the late William Crabtree established the yarn plant which soon became one of the important industries of the county. Mr. Patchett was a member of the board of water works commissioners and exerted a wide influence in the affairs of his adopted village. He was a member of Walden Lodge, F. and A. M., Royal Arch Masons, Knights Templar and Mecca Shrine. In 1874 he married Miss Alice M. Hayes, of Philadelphia. Two sons and a daughter were born to them: Emma M., who resides in Montgomery; Joseph E. and Arthur Allan are engaged in business at Kaiser, W. Va.
FRANK PATTERSON, supervisor of the town of Deer Park, who, with his brother, George H., conducts a farm of one hundred acres and a commodious summer boarding house known as "Eddy Farm," at Sparrowbush, was born there in 1865, a son of J. R. and Mary E. (Doty) Patterson. Since finishing his studies at the public schools he has been engaged in the cultivation of the homestead farm. Politically Mr. Patterson is a democrat and has always taken an active interest in the welfare of his party. He has served as highway commissioner and in 1907 was elected a member of the board of supervisors.
Mr. Patterson married Miss Sarah Chambers and they are the parents of three sons and two daughters: Ruth E., John R., Edward, Dudley and Frances.
WILLIAM M. PATTON (deceased) was born in the town of New Windsor, Orange County, N. Y., May 30, 1834. He was for many years engaged as a farmer and cattle dealer, in which he was very successful. In 1895 he took up his residence in Newburgh, the details of his cattle business being attended to by his only son, John R. Patton, who resides on the Patton homestead, near Washington Lake. Mr. Patten was for years a member of the board of directors of the Columbus Trust Co., and a member of its finance committee. He was a careful man in financial affairs and to him as one of its officers is due much of the prosperity of the company.
Mr. Patton's first wife was Miss Robinson; she was the mother of John R. Patton, who died many years ago. His second wife was formerly Miss Anna F. Johnston, a daughter of the late Beverly K. Johnston, a prominent business man of East Coldenham.
Mr. Patton died April 16, 1907, and is buried in the Wallkill Valley cemetery, Walden, N. Y.
ALBERT S. PEIRCE, manufacturer, Newburgh. Born Orange County, March, 1860. Graduated from Newburgh Academy and was then engaged in mercantile business in New York City for four years. In 1885 he returned to Newburgh and became associated with Coldwell, Wilcox & Co., iron founders and machinists. May, 1890, the firm was incorporated as Coldwell-Wilcox & Co., of which Mr. Peirce has since been treasurer. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the City Club. In 1885 he married Edith, daughter of the late Dr. Heard, ex-president of the board of health. The Peirce ancestry dates back to the Commander of the Mayflower.
HENRY PELTON came to Warwick from Darien, Conn., in 1805. He was a small boy at the time, and settled with his father on a farm just west of the village. He was always looked upon as one of the most public spirited citizens, foremost in every movement for the good of the community, and for the support of his church. Many writings of local historical interest, left by him, show him to have been possessed of a mind capable of clear thinking, and the ability to express himself in good English. He is remembered as having been one of the pioneers in the temperance movement in the middle of the last century. He died in 1873, at the age of eighty-two.
SAMUEL PELTON, son of Henry Pelton, spent his life as a farmer, residing for over fifty years on the farm now owned by his son, and dying in 1906, nearly eighty-eight years of age. Of quiet, gentle disposition, he never aspired to public prominence, yet was ever ready to help in any public-spirited undertaking. He served a term as president of Warwick Institute and was one of the founders and for many years a trustee of the Warwick Savings Bank.
HENRY PELTON, son of Samuel Pelton, resides on the farm formerly owned by his father. He devotes most of his time to land surveying and local engineering work. He succeeded the late G. W. Sayer as president of the Warwick Valley Farmers' Milk Association, and held that office until the sale and dissolution of the company in 1907. He is also one of the trustees of the Warwick Savings Bank and a director of the Warwick Building Association.
WILLIAM W. PELTON was born December 15, 1837, and died November 26, 1907, at his home near Warwick, N. Y. His early education was acquired at the district school, and the Warwick Institute, when it was a private school. He afterward became a teacher. He was a member of the board of education when the Warwick Institute was made a free school in 1867. He was engaged in business in Warwick and New York City for a time. In December, 1867, he married Almeda Knapp, daughter of the late John Knapp, of Sugar Loaf, Orange County, who survives him. To this union were born four children, John, Grace, wife of Frank Holbert of New York; Almeda, and Geraldine, wife of Selah Durland; also two grandsons and two granddaughters. Mr. Pelton was the last of his father's family. His brother, James, died in 1856, and Richard in 1898.
EDGAR PENNEY, vice-president and general manager of the Newburgh Ice Machine and Engine Co., is a native of Orange County, and has been identified with this company since 1895. Before purchasing the Newburgh plant he was for twelve years managing director and mechanical engineer for the Frick Company, Waynesboro, Pa., which built his ice machine, known as the "Frick"' or "Eclipse." Mr. Penney invented this machine and retains full privilege of manufacture and sale under his patents. Among the products of the present concern are the Corliss steam engines, steam boilers, iron and brass castings, etc. A force of two hundred and fifty men are employed. The main buildings are 200 by 400 feet in dimensions and were built in 1883. In 1907 a large addition was erected.
WILLIAM J. PENOYER began life in Columbia County, N. Y., and after leaving the district school at the age of fifteen, he entered a general store and remained there for ten years. When twenty-six years of age he went to Albany, N. Y., and engaged in the grain business, which he continued until appointed harbor master by Governor Hoffman. He was supervisor several years and a director of two banks. He was a leading spirit in many improvements in his native county. In politics he was a Democrat.
Mr. Penoyer in 1883 married Anna M. Roe, of Chester, Orange County, and they had one daughter, Fannie, born 1886. He died in January, 1904.
MILLS PEPPER, son of Elijah and Catura (Crowell) Pepper, is a prosperous farmer in the town of Montgomery. The farm, which comprises one hundred and forty acres, was purchased by his father, who conducted it over sixty years. Mills Pepper, who resides at the homestead with his sister, has conducted it ten years. He is a member of Little Britain Grange and takes an active interest in public affairs of this locality.
GEORGE W. PETERS (deceased), a prominent business man of Newburgh, was born in Poughkeepsie in 1826, a son of Charles and Phoebe (Dean) Peters. At the age of sixteen he engaged with his father in the meat business in New York City, and in 1847 became a member of the firm of Charles Peters & Son, which continued until 1863, when he sold the business and moved to Newburgh, where he engaged in farming for two and a half years. In 1869 he opened a meat market at 113 Water street, which he conducted with his sons until 1882, when he retired.
Mr. Peters was actively identified with public affairs in Newburgh. Under Mayor Doyle he was superintendent of streets for two terms. For many years he was president of the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; also president of the Horse Thief Protective Society. He joined the Masonic fraternity in 1852, and was a member of the board of trustees of the Unitarian Church. He died in 1907.
ALBERT H. F. PHILLIPS was born at Oswego, N. Y., in 1866. His education was acquired at Oswego and the old Middletown Academy, graduating from the latter in 1880. His parents were John G. and Mary (Fisher) Phillips. Mr. Phillips has been identified with the New York, Ontario & Western Railroad as foreman for a period of fourteen years. In 1904 he assumed the position of master painter of the O. & W. shops, which position he still holds. He was married to Elizabeth Anna Heckroth, of Delaware County, N. Y., October 18, 1888. Their one child, Clara, was born April 8, 1893. In politics Mr. Phillips is a Republican. He has served as inspector of elections at various times and has been a delegate to assembly and city conventions. Socially he is a member of Hoffman Lodge, No. 412, F. and A. M., Lancelot Lodge, K. of P., and Wallkill Council, Jr. O. U. A. M., of Middletown. He is a member of the North Congregational Church and served as deacon and treasurer for the past seventeen years.
JOHN EVERTSON PHILLIPS, of Goshen, N. Y., son of William and Sarah E. Phillips, was born in Phillipsburgh, March 20, 1805. Graduated from Williams College in 1825. He studied law with Henry G. Wilner and after his admission to the bar in 1828 was associated with him in his profession until his death, December 17, 1841. He was married March 1, 1832, to Elizabeth T. Wisner, daughter of his partner, Henry G. Wisner. There were three daughters born of this union. Miss Harriet H. is still residing at the home which has been, occupied by the family since 1836.
JOHN F. PIERCE, supervisor of the town of Highlands, was born at Fishkill Landing, N. Y., March 7, 1844. He attended school at Wappingers Falls, and during the Civil War served on the schooner Norma, carrying ammunition to the various ports. He was subsequently at West Point eight years in the butcher business, and removed to Highland Falls in 1873, where he continued his meat market and in later years engaged in the livery business.
Politically Mr. Pierce is a Republican and has long been identified with public affairs of the town and village. In 1889 he was elected assessor, serving continuously until the fall of 1907, when he resigned to fill the office of supervisor. Mr. Pierce has also served about twelve years as school trustee.
GEORGE PIERSON, who has resided on his present estate for about sixty years, in the town of Hamptonburgh, is well known in Orange County. He came from one of the oldest and most respected families of the state. His great-grandfather, Silas Pierson, who came to this county from Long Island about 1750, and settled on the old Pierson farm in Hamptonburgh, was the great-grandson of John Pierson, who emigrated from England about 1650 and settled at South Hampton, Long Island, where he died in 1669.
George Pierson was born January 1, 1824, and is the son of Henry Pierson, also a native of the same place. His mother was Miss Mary Shaw, a native of Orange County, and four of her eight children grew to manhood and womanhood. Of these George was the eldest. Mr. Pierson's father died in 1866 and his mother in 1853. George Pierson obtained his early education at the district school and afterward became a student of the Amherst Academy, at Amherst, Mass. He married Miss Mary E. Thompson, daughter of Oliver Thompson, December 20, 1848. Their union resulted in the birth of four children. In 1849 Mr. Pierson moved to his present farm where he has resided over fifty years. He is interested in all public affairs and has held the office of justice of the peace since 1869, having served continuously with the exception of two years. He served as assessor from 1884 to 1899. He is a member of Goshen Lodge, No. 365, F. and A. M. He was a trustee of the Hamptonburgh Presbyterian Church for thirty-nine years. At the time of Henry Clay's nomination for president, in 1844, Mr. Pierson was not quite of age, but he attended the next town meeting and has been in attendance ever since with one exception, in 1888. which was the only time he failed, and has attended every general election since he was of age. He was a member of the old Campbell Hall Grange, now out of existence. Mr. Pierson has a well stocked dairy farm and is new retired.
JOHN PIERSON, of the town of Mount Hope, was born on the homestead farm, near Otisville, Orange County, N. Y., in 1834. His father was Silas G. and mother Salome B. (Cook) Pierson. Four children were born of this union. Two died in infancy. Harriet N., wife of Alsop W. Dodge, of Otisville, died July 20, 1897. John Pierson acquired his early education at the district school in his locality and at the public school at Middletown. He has resided on his present farm for a period of over seventy years. He is a Republican in politics and takes an active part in local affairs. He has been assessor for twenty years, has served as inspector of election for the town of Mount Hope about fifteen years, is a member of the Otisville Presbyterian Church and the Otisville Grange. His children are Silas G. and John M., of Denver, Colo.; Frank and Cora, at home; Helen G., wife of Ebenezer Bull; Saloma C., of Philadelphia, and Susan C, a teacher at Amityville, Long Island.
GEORGE A. POST, a successful contractor and builder, of Port Jervis, N. Y., was born at Saugerties, Ulster County, N. Y., and there learned his trade of carpenter. In 1889 he engaged in the contracting business at Port Jervis, and since that time has erected many of that city's prominent business blocks and residences. Mr. Post is a member of the Elks, and Confidence Lodge, No. 5, I. O. O. F., of Saugerties. He has served as trustee of the village and was one of the first aldermen when Port Jervis became a city. He married Hannah J. Bross, of Ten Mile River, Sullivan County, and they have four children: Fannie E., who married Charles Clark; George H., a mail carrier, married Tillie Headley; Minnie, residing at home, and Lillie, a school teacher at Westbrookville, this county.
A. E. POWERS, manager of the Port Jervis plant of Swift & Co., is a native of Charleston, N. H., and has occupied this responsible position for a period of eleven years. Mr. Powers is prominent in business and social circles and is identified with the Masonic fraternity, the Elks and Odd Fellows.
JAMES J. PROCTOR was born September 1, 1878, at Greycourt, Orange County, N. Y. He acquired his early education in the schools of Orange County and at an early age he became associated with his father, John R. Proctor, in the management of the hotel at Greycourt. His father was a charter member of the Walton Hose Company, of Chester, N. Y., and a respected and energetic business man. James was married June 12, 1906, to Mary Gardner, of Highland Falls, N. Y. Mr. Proctor has been first assistant foreman of the Walton Hose Company, of Chester, for over four years, and has been a member ten years. His brother, Henry J., was born May 27, 1875, and is identified with him in the hotel business at Greycourt. Their father died January 29, 1904.
CHARLES PURDY was born March 15, 1842, in Sullivan County, near New Vernon, N. Y. His parents were Ebenezer and Hettie (Warner) Purdy. There were nine children in the parents' family, of whom six are still living. Charles attended the district schools in Sullivan County, after which he worked at farming until 1864. He then engaged with the Erie Railroad as brakeman and later had charge of a construction and switch engine for some time.
He married Jessie A. Wardrop, of Goshen, N. Y., October 18, 1876. Mr. Purdy is now baggage master at the Erie and has served since 1883. His wife, who died December 22, 1905, was an active member of the First Presbyterian Church of Middletown.
JOHN H. QUAID,who conducts a wholesale and retail grocery store in Water street, Newburgh, succeeded to the business that was established in 1834 by his father, John Quaid, a native of Limerick County, Ireland, who came to Newburgh when a young man and began business in Oldtown at the junction of what is now Liberty street and Gidney avenue, where he remained until 1850, when he removed to the present location, 136 Water street. In 1857 his eldest son, William, became a partner and the firm was changed to John Quaid & Son. In 1871 John H. purchased his father's interest and the firm of William Quaid & Brother was formed, continuing until 1881, when William retired and John H. has since continued the business. Mr. Quaid has acquired much valuable real estate in Newburgh.
The parents of their mother, whose maiden name was McGathern, settled on a farm m the town of Blooming Grove in 1807. It is said of their grandmother that she was awarded the first premium for butter making for many years by the Agricultural Society.
Mr. John H. Quaid married Margaret Lord Fancher, daughter of Lewis Fancher, of Cornwall. She was a Daughter of the Revolution and at the time of her death in 1896 was president of St. Luke's Hospital, of which her husband was a trustee. Mr. Quaid is a member of the City Club, Newburgh Historical Society, and with his brother, William, a vestryman of St. Paul's Church.
WILLIAM B. RAMAGEwas born in Branchville, Sussex County, N. J., January 16, 1858, and was educated in the Branchville and Morristown schools and the S. S. Seward Institute, of Florida, Orange County. In 1866 he learned the trade of carriage painting with Abraham Watts, of Florida, worked for him three years, and in 1871 engaged in business for himself in Florida, where he has continued during the thirty-six years intervening. Being a zealous Republican and an active political worker, he has held office for the past twelve years, and is now overseer of the poor and constable. He is a member of Wawayanda Lodge, No. 34, I. O. O. F., and of Warwick Lodge, No. 544, F. and A. M. He married May Jane Givens, of Florida, June 3, 1870. They have had ten children, only four of whom are living. Hattie, wife of Charles Hall, of Paterson, N. J.; Frank P., at home; Jessie, wife of M. Barry, of Florida, and Leon, at home. The mother is an earnest and active Methodist.
Mr. Ramage's father came to this country from England when he was ten years of age, went to Sussex County, N. J., and has resided there since. His wife's name was Elizabeth and they were the parents of fourteen children.
HOMER RAMSDELL, for a century the foremost citizen of Newburgh, N. Y., was born at Warren, Mass., August 12. 1810. His father was Joseph Ramsdell, the fourth of that name in descent from Joseph and Martha (Bowker) Ramsdell, who emigrated from England to Plymouth, Mass. in 1643. His mother was Ruth Stockbridge, of Hanover, Mass., a descendant of John Stockbridge, who came from England in 1638. They were married at Hanover February 3, 1800, and moved to Warren, where the following children were born: Joseph, Mary and Homer. In 1829 Homer went to New York City, where he was employed in dry goods houses. Three years later he began business there under the firm name of Ramsdell & Brown, dealers in silks and fancy white goods. He continued this mercantile career until 1840, when he took up his permanent residence in Newburgh, superintending the various interests of Mr. Thomas Powell, who was engaged in shipping and banking business here. In 1844 Mr. Ramsdell became a member of the firm of Thomas Powell & Co., and thenceforth until Mr. Powell's death in 1856 he was largely the administrator of Mr. Powell's affairs. By purchase and consolidation Mr. Ramsdell added other forwarding lines to his enterprises and soon stood at the head of the transportation business on the Hudson. Details of Mr. Ramsdell's connection with the Erie Railroad appear elsewhere. In 1845 he was elected a member of the board of directors of this corporation and in 1853 was chosen president of the company, resigning the office in July, 1857. He was intimately identified with the various local institutions of Newburgh and a prompt contributor to all progressive and elevating movements of his day.
Mr. Ramsdell was married June 16, 1835, to Frances E. L., daughter of Thomas Powell, of Newburgh, and the following children survive: Frances J., widow of Major George W. Rains; James A. P., H. Powell and Homer Stockbridge.
WILLIAM CHESTER RAMSDELL, the subject of this sketch, was born in the town of Greenville, Greene County, N. Y., December 29, 1858. His father was Luman S. Ramsdell, a nephew of Luman Ramsdell, of Norton Hill, who was connected with the State Agricultural Society and has had much to do with the agricultural interests of the state and also with the co-operative or mutual insurance companies, he having established practically the first mutual insurance company in the state of New York.
The mother of William C. Ramsdell was Laura Ann Gedney before her marriage, and a direct descendant from an officer of the Revolutionary army.
When about seven years old the parents of William C. Ramsdell moved to Albany County, where his life was spent upon a farm until after he was of age. He attended the country schools and the academy which was established at South Westerlo. Later he attended Starkey Seminary and after teaching in the country schools for a few years he took the three-year normal course at Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, the institution made famous by Horace Mann, who was its first president. After teaching a year or two in the public schools a course was taken with the Albany Business College and a year spent as teacher of commercial subjects in the high school at Attica, Indiana, after which Mr. Ramsdell entered the regular business college work with the Goldev College at Wilmington, Delaware.
At the close of the year's work the subject of this sketch was married to Miss Elizabeth C. Van Trump, of Wilmington, Delaware. The next four years were spent with the Drake Business School at Jersey City, N. J.
In 1895 Mr. Ramsdell opened the Ramsdell School in Middletown, N. Y., and for the last twelve years has conducted the school on North street. The school has continued to grow and has attained an excellent reputation in Orange County and vicinity for thorough and efficient work.
JAMES RAZEY, who resides near Florida, Orange County, is one of the representative agriculturists of that section. He was born on a farm near Harnell, Chemung County, N. Y., February 16, 1851. His education was acquired at the district school and Alfred University. He removed to Elmira, where he was engaged in art work for a period of ten years. From Elmira he removed to Chester, N. Y., and purchased the "Broadview" farm, which he successfully conducted for ten years. He built the unique Razey cottage at Chester, which is one of the artistic houses in the county. His father died August 6, 1864, of yellow fever. His mother's name was Abigail Withey. There were four children in his parents' family. Our subject married Susan, daughter of David R. and Anna Feagles. Their three children are Ethel Denton, aged twenty-three years; Danforth, aged twenty years, and James Lester, aged seventeen years. Mr. Razey married for his second wife Mrs. Phoebe J. Smith, of Florida, October 16, 1906. He occupies a dairy farm of one hundred and sixty acres.
Mr. Razey is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Chester and in politics is a republican.
CHARLES IRA REDFIELD, M. D., was born in the town of Wallkill, Orange County, January 31, 1873. He is a son of Foster C., died February 6, 1875, and Sarah Louise (Fanning) Redfield, still living. The subject of this sketch attained his early education at the Wallkill Academy and graduated in 1891. He also attended the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania of 1891-4, graduating June 7, 1894. In the fall of 1894 he attended the Presbyterian Hospital outpatient department of Philadelphia, Pa., until February, 1895. In the spring of 1895 he opened an office in Middletown. He is now visiting physician of the Thrall Hospital. He has served as secretary of the New York State Medical Association 1904-5. Secretary Orange County Medical Association 1901-4, and was president Orange County Medical Society during 1905. He is a charter member of the B. C. Hirst Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia, Pa. He is a member of Hoffman Lodge, No. 412, F. and A. M.; Midland Chapter, R. A. M., No. 240, and Cypress Commandery, No. 67. He was one of the organizers of the physicians' club of Middletown; a member of Middletown University Club, National Geographic Society, American Society of Sanitary and Moral Prophylaxis, and a member of the board of education. He was health officer in 1898 and is a member and a trustee of the Second Presbyterian Church. Dr. Redfield married Miss Ira Anna Louise Barker, of Roxbury, Mass., October 20, 1897.
GEORGE W. REED was born July, 1842, at South Centreville, in what was then the town of Minisink, but now in the town of Wawayanda, Orange County. Born of Scotch parentage he was reared on the homestead farm and received a common school education. At the opening of the war he enlisted in the Union Army, October, 1861, as a member of Company C, First New York Mounted Rifles. He was sent with his company to Virginia, participating in the battle of Petersburg and other engagements of the war. He was mustered out at Albany as corporal in December, 1865, having served more than four years. After the war he returned to Middletown and worked at the carpenter's trade, and has been identified with building and contracting business there for many years. He is a charter member of Captain William A. Jackson Post, No. 301, G. A. R., and is its commander. He is a member of the First Congregational Church of Middletown, N. Y. He is a republican and has filled many local offices and is at present a member of the board of education.
HENRY WILSON REED was born at Middletown, Orange County, N. Y., November 3, 1875. His education was acquired at the old Wallkill Academy. After his schooling he became identified with Fort Wayne Electric Light Co. for a period of seven years. From 1889 to 1891 he was vice-president of the Enterprise Electric Co., of Middletown, N. Y. In 1896 he engaged in the electrical construction business, which business he still carries on. He has done the electrical work in the best homes and public buildings in Orange County, and is endorsed by the State Underwriters' Association. He married Helen K. Biddlebrook, only daughter of William H. Wood, of Chester, N. Y., April 9, 1901.
In politics Mr. Reed is a republican. He is a member of the Wallkill Engine Co. of Middletown and the National Electrical Contractors' Association of America. He is a member of the First Congregational Church of Middletown, N. Y.
MARK REEKS, president and treasurer of the John G. Wilkinson Company, Newburgh, N. Y., wholesale and retail dealers in carriages, harness, etc., was born in London in 1869. Came to America in 1888, and entered the employ of John G. Wilkinson as bookkeeper. Following the death of Mr. Wilkinson in 1905 Mr. Reeks became executor and manager of the estate and in 1906 purchased the Wilkinson interest and the present company was organized. The business of which Mr. Reeks is now the head was established in 1867 and the trade extends throughout New England, New Jersey and New York.
JOHN REILLY, assessor of the town of Highlands, Orange County, N. Y., has ably filled that office for the past twenty years. He is a native of County Mayo, Ireland, and sailed for America in 1863 on the old shipFrance.He was employed for a time at Poughkeepsie and Newburgh, and in 1870 came to West Point and joined the United States Cavalry, in which he served five years, including one year and a half in the ordnance department. In 1875 Mr. Reilly established his hotel and livery, which he has conducted with much success. He has always taken an active interest in politics and is a member of the Republican county committee. Socially he is a member of the Knights of Honor and the A. O. H. He married Miss Jane Cook, daughter of ex-Supervisor Cook. He was appointed postmaster of Highland Falls under President McKinley's administration, but declined the office.
A. SMITH RING, for many years prominent in financial and public affairs of Newburgh, was born in that city in 1838, a son of Thomas C. and Catherine (Speir) Ring. After graduating from the academy, he was employed by the Powell Bank until 1858, when he became connected with the Newburgh Savings Bank, of which his father was treasurer. The latter part of Mr. Ring's life was spent in retirement from active business pursuits, devoting his attention to the management of his large property interests.
A firm believer in the principles of the democratic party, he was elected city treasurer in 1875. He was appointed one of the trustees of Washington's headquarters and treasurer of the board. He was a member of the board of managers of the Associated Charities and took a deep and active interest in philanthropic work.
October 5, 1881, Mr. Ring was united in marriage with Miss Frances Ludlow, daughter of the late George W. Kerr. One child, Thomas Ludlow, was born to them.
In the death of Mr. Ring, which occurred July 8, 1893, Newburgh lost a citizen of more than ordinary ability, who occupied a high place in the regard of his associates.
SAMUEL D. ROBERSON, of Bullville, Orange County, N. Y., was born in the town of Crawford in 1849, a son of Samuel and Margaret (Martin) Roberson. His father was a native of Westchester County, and for many years was proprietor of the Bullville Hotel. Our subject was educated at the public schools and for three years managed the Bullville Hotel. He then built a creamery and was also engaged in a general mercantile business.
As a leader in democratic politics Mr. Roberson is widely known to the voters of Orange County. He was chosen chairman of the democratic county committee in 1896, and for twelve years was elected to the office of supervisor in Crawford town.
In 1870 Mr. Roberson married Miss Hannah Powles of Newburgh. Seven children were born to them, of whom four sons and one daughter are living.
HON. CHARLES DWIGHT ROBINSON was born in Auburn, Cayuga County, N. Y., February 6, 1860. He was educated in the public schools of his native city.
Mr. Robinson is a descendant of George Robinson, who settled in Rehoboth, in the State of Massachusetts, in 1645. His ancestry on both sides was very active in the trying times of the American Revolution. His father, William Philip Robinson, located in Auburn in 1844; his mother was Louise E., daughter of William Clark Smith and Amer Lewis. Mr. Smith was a grandson of Anning Smith, of Milton, Ulster County, N. Y.. an officer in the Revolutionary War. On the paternal side of Mr. Robinson, his ancestors, Zephaniah Robinson and Philip Robinson, served in Massachusetts regiments, Philip being a sergeant. William Robinson, a cousin of Philip, served in a Connecticut regiment, in the Revolution.
Mr. Robinson, since leaving school, has been active in many lines of usefulness, which he was well adapted for. Prior to 1883 he was cashier for the Chicago branch of D. M. Osborne & Co., of Auburn. He removed to Newburgh, N. Y., in November, 1883, and entered the firm of John Dales & Co., real estate and insurance, where he has since continued.
Mr. Robinson in politics is a republican. He has been identified with municipal affairs of Newburgh since 1894, first serving as alderman from his (Fourth) ward in 1894 and 1895; president of the common council from March, 1895, to March, 1900, and from March, 1904, to March, 1906. He became well informed as to the city's conditions and needs, and being a thorough, economical business man, he was chosen as its mayor in 1906-1907. He has been trustee of Washington's headquarters since 1893, having been appointed by Governor Roswell P. Flower, and reappointed by Governors Black, Odell and Hughes.
Mr. Robinson is a member of the Sons of the Revolution, the Historical Society of the Newburgh Bay and the Highlands, Hudson River Lodge, No. 52; Hudson River Commandery, No. 35, Knight Templar; the Robinson Genealogical Society, and the Newburgh City Club. He has been married twice. His first marriage was to Mary B. Dales, February 16, 1882. They had one daughter, Julia. Mrs. Robinson died January 14, 1900. His second marriage was to Anna B. Colwell, January 30, 1902. They have one son, Charles D., Jr.
JAMES ROBERTSON was born December 6, 1846, at Liberty, Sullivan County, N. Y. His parents were Bronson and Abigail (Stoddard) Robertson. Our subject acquired his education at the public school. At an early age he learned the carpenters' trade, which he followed for some years. He joined the navy in 1864 and was assigned the position as ship carpenter on theSweet Briar,one of the boats that made up the South Atlantic blockading squadron. He served until 1866 and received an honorable discharge. After the war he resided in Chicago for three years, after which he returned to Monticello, Sullivan County, and followed his trade for a time. He was identified with the Erie R. R. at Port Jervis for ten years as foreman of the carpenters' department of the Delaware division. In 1902 he was appointed manager of the bottling department of the Deer Park Brewery, and in 1906 was made general manager, which position he still holds. Mr. Robertson married Mary E. Kinne, of Monticello, N. Y., March 2, 1871. Socially he is a member of the Port Jervis Lodge No. 328, F. & A. M., Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias.
FREDERICK O. ROCKAFELLOW, one of the leading funeral directors and embalmers of Middletown, N. Y., was born in that city May 14, 1864. After graduating from the Middletown High School and Wallkill Academy, he entered the undertaking establishment of his father, John D. Rockafellow, and acquainted himself with every detail of the business. Upon the death of his father, Frederick came into possession of the business, which he has since conducted successfully. This business was established by his father in 1861, and is the oldest establishment of the kind in Middletown. John D. Rockafellow was one of Middletown's most progressive and public spirited citizens, he was chief of the fire department for many years and always took a deep interest and lent ready aid in the furtherance of projects benefiting the community. Frederick O. Rockafellow married Marguerite R. Oliver, of Chicago, Ill., and to them have been born two sons: Frederick O., Jr., and John D. Mr. Rockafellow is a member of Lancelot Lodge, No. 169, K. of P.; an honorary member of the Excelsior hook and ladder company and a member of the Middletown Club. The family attend Westminster Church.
LEWIS N. L. ROCKWELL was born at Narrowsburg, Sullivan County, N. Y., May 12, 1875. He attained his education at the public school. He also attended the Albany business college. In 1896 he accepted a position as bookkeeper in New York City in a wholesale house. November 6, 1905, he removed to Otisville and purchased the general store of Joel Northrop, where he has since continued the business. He married Miss Irene Bloomberg, of Narrowsburg, January 10, 1900. In politics he is a democrat. Socially he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. There were thirteen children in his parents' family and there are still living four sons and two daughters. His brother, George W., has served two terms as county clerk of Sullivan County.
ALFRED B. ROE, of Chester, N. Y., was born at that place June 9, 1880. He graduated from Chester Academy and later attended Lafayette College, at Easton, Pa. Following his schooling he assisted his father on the home farm. He married Frances A. Decker, of Chester, April 3, 1902, and they have one son, Alfred Russell, born January 30, 1905.
Mr. Roe's parents were Alfred Booth and Martha (Durland) Roe. The homestead farm has been in the possession of the family for about one hundred and seventy-five years. Mr. and Mrs. Roe are members of the First Presbyterian Church of Chester.
D. HOWELL ROE, of Florida, Orange County, was born October 25, 1838. After he finished his district school education, at the age of eighteen, he became clerk in William Vail's grocery store and worked there several years, when he engaged in the livery business at Chester, near the Erie Railroad station. He sold out a few years later and opened a grocery and feed store in Chester, which he conducted until his death, November 29, 1880. He was town clerk and supervisor many years, holding the latter office until poor health obliged him to decline a re-nomination by the democratic party, to which he belonged. He went South, remained there a year, and afterward spent two winters there for his health. He was a member of the Standard Lodge of Chester and of the Methodist Church. He married Elizabeth Rysdyk, of Chester, June 7, 1854. Their two children died in infancy.
FRED ROGERS, manufacturer, of Middletown, N. Y., was born at Brewster, Putnam County, N. Y., July 12, 1859. His parents were both of English extraction, his father, Joseph, having been born near Oxford, and his mother, Penelope Wilkin, near Bristol, England. Joseph Rogers settled at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and engaged in the manufacture of drums and banjo heads, afterward removing to Bloomingburgh, Sullivan County, N. Y., where he learned his trade. Fred obtained his education at the district school at Bloomingburg and Snooks Academy at Monticello, N. Y. After leaving school he entered the drum head manufactory of his father at Bloomingburg, and continued with him until the death of the latter in 1901, when he succeeded to the business. His mother died in 1896. Mr. Rogers married Harriet Pellet Moore, of Middletown, N. Y., November 28, 1888, and four children were born to them: Penelope, Ruth Bradner, died November 25, 1907; Helen Hyde and Clara Elizabeth. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum and Knights of Pythias. His brother, Joseph, now conducts the factory established by his father at Bloomingburg. Mr. Rogers opened his present factory at Mechanicstown, near Middletown, in 1897.
WILLIAM H. ROGERS was born December 29, 1845, in Sullivan County, N. Y. He is a son of James and Elizabeth Rogers. In 1859 he moved to Middletown, where he acquired his education, attending the old Orchard street school and Wallkill Academy. He engaged in the drug business in 1868, and is at present senior member of the drug firm of McMonagle & Rogers, of Middletown. He married Miss Amelia Chattle, of Middletown, May 19, 1869. To this union three children were born: Fred S., Thomas C, district attorney of Orange County, and Elizabeth, wife of Wickham Wisner Young, of Middletown. Mr. Rogers supports the republican party. He is ex-president of the board of education, ex-member of the board of water commissioners, and president of the board of managers of Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital and ex-president of the New York State Pharmaceutical Association, charter member Monhagen hose company, member Royal Arcanum, Concordia Council, No. 1077, and Hoffman Lodge, No. 412, F. and A. M., of Middletown.
CHARLES W. ROSE was born September 9, 1836, at Canajoharie, N. Y. He attended the district school at Amsterdam. At an early age he learned the milling business, and has been identified with that for many years. He worked at the Tivoli Railroad Mills, at Albany, which was built previous to the Revolutionary War. In 1850 he operated the Garden City Mill, at Chicago, for two years. He was an engineer on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad between Albany and Syracuse. He returned to Albany and ran the engine in the same mill for a period of four years after it was operated by steam. In 1863 he went to New York City, taking charge of the William Tildert & Nephew Varnish Works, which position he held for twelve years, after which he spent two years abroad. Mr. Rose then came to Burnside, Orange County, and purchased the saw and grist mill, which he operated for eight years in connection with a general store. He has been postmaster of Burnside for several years. In politics he is a republican and served one term as supervisor, and as justice of the peace several years.
He married Sophia Schweishelm, of Hanover, Germany. Three children were born to this union. One died, by accident, aged twenty-one years; Harry, with the Mead Morrison Manufacturing Company, of New York, and Frieda Dorothy, residing at home. Mr. and Mrs. Rose are members of the Presbyterian Church at Campbell Hall.
HENRY ELKANAH ROSE is one of nine children of Silas and Elmira Rose, and was born at Sugar Loaf, Orange County, February 15, 1850. He attended the district school and the Seward Institute at Florida, after which he assisted his father on the farm until he was eighteen, when he learned the wheelwright trade and, later, blacksmithing, and has since been an industrious man in these occupations and farming. He is a member of the Sugar Loaf Methodist Church and politically is a democrat. September 23, 1878, he married Mary Fitzgerald of Warwick, and they have three children: Nellie E., born April 11, 1880, wife of Henry Ames, of Stamford, N. Y.; Edith S., born March 10, 1883, wife of Fletcher A. Herrod, of Miami, Florida, and Floyd William Dudley, born September 2, 1884, living in Maxwell, Neb. The grandmother of Mrs. Rose was Mary Booth, a granddaughter of Sarah Wells, reputed to be the first white woman who came to Orange County.
JOSEPH H. ROSE, retired brick manufacturer, Newburgh N. Y.; born at Hamburg, N. Y., 1865; son of John C. and Phoebe (Myers) Rose; removed with his parents to Haverstraw, N. Y., where he attended the academy; has resided in Newburgh since 1883, when the Rose Brick Company was established at Roseton, Orange County, N. Y., with which Joseph H. was connected until 1902, when he retired from active business.
ELMER E. ROOSA, attorney, of Newburgh, N. Y., was born in New Paltz, Ulster County, N. Y., in 1861. He is of Holland ancestry and came to Newburgh with his parents in 1870. After graduating from the academy, he read law in the office of Messrs. Scott & Hirschberg, and was admitted to the bar in 1882. He continued in the office of his preceptors, and when Mr. Hirschberg was advanced to a judicial position, Mr. Roosa took up the extensive practice attending the office. Mr. Roosa is vice-president of the Newburgh Planing Mill and interested in various local enterprises. He is a member of the Hudson River Lodge, F. and A. M.; Highland Chapter and Hudson River Commandery.
EDWARD C. ROSS, treasurer of the Coldwell Lawn Mower Company, has been identified with this important industry since its incorporation. He is a native of Newburgh, a son of Henry and Jane (Cleland) Ross. After graduating from the Newburgh Academy and Eastman Business College he formed a partnership with his brother George H., to continue the flour and grist mill established by their father. He disposed of his interest in 1903 to devote his entire attention to the manufacture of lawn mowers. For two years he represented the company abroad, with headquarters in London, England. Mr. Ross was for many years a member of the Newburgh board of education. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity and a member of the City Club. He married Miss Jennie M. Coldwell, and two sons and a daughter have been born to them.
SEWARD U. ROUND, attorney, of Newburgh, was born in Florida, Orange County, N. Y., in 1856. He was educated at Seward Institute, attended Albany Law School, and was admitted to the bar in 1880. Formed partnership with Eugene A. Brewster, Jr., which was continued two years, when the firm of Round & Chatterton was organized and continued until the death of Mr. Chatterton.
Mr. Round is a member of the Chapter and Commandery in the Masonic order, and is affiliated with Trinity M. E. Church.
John Wesley Round, the father of Seward U. Round, was born July 22, 1822, at Richfield, Otsego County, N. Y., and died at Florida, N. Y., January 5, 1862, aged thirty-nine years.
John W. Round graduated from Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn., in the class of 1843, and after teaching at various points assumed the principalship of S. S. Seward Institute at Florida, N. Y., where he remained from 1851 to 1862, the date of his death. He was called to other higher institutions of learning, but at the request and desire of Wm. H. Seward, who was closely identified with the institute, he was prevailed upon to remain and conduct the Seward Institute, which was in a flourishing condition at his death. John W. Round was a linguist, mastering no less than seven languages and also a natural-born musician, playing several instruments skilfully. Socially the whole community and those who knew him will give constant testimony of his great success and attainments, and his scholastic ability can be attested by many men now in prominent public life.
JOSEPH W. ROWLAND, general superintendent of the New York Knife Company, mention of which appears elsewhere in this work, was born in Connecticut in 1849. He came with his father, Joseph Rowland, to Walden, in 1856, and learned the cutlery trade. In 1884, upon the death of his father, he was made general superintendent and ultimately succeeded him as vice-president of the company, continuing in that office until the reorganization of the company. Mr. Rowland is a director of the Walden Savings Bank and trustee of the Wallkill Valley Cemetery Association.
HENRY RUDOLPH, former supervisor of the Fifth ward, Newburgh, was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, in 1853, a son of Henry and Wilhelmina (Helfinch) Rudolph, who were natives of the same province. At the age of fifteen Mr. Rudolph was apprenticed to learn the baker's trade. In 1870 he sailed for New York, where he worked at his trade. He was for a time in business in Matteawan, N. Y., and in 1880 came to Newburgh, where he has built up an extensive wholesale and retail bakery business.