APPENDIX A.

APPENDIX A.

Burial-grounds within the Metropolitan Area, which still exist, wholly or in part. Abridged from the Return prepared for the London County Council in the Spring of 1895, and corrected up to date.

HAMPSTEAD.

HAMPSTEAD.

HAMPSTEAD.

1.St. John’s Churchyard.—1½ acres in extent. It is full of tombstones, but very neatly kept, and although not handed over to any public authority, nor provided with seats, the gates are usually open.

2.Burial-ground in Holly Lane.—1¼ acres. This is still used for interments, and new graves are occasionally dug here. It was consecrated in 1812. It is tidily kept, and the gates are open whenever the gardener is on the ground.

3.Hampstead Cemetery.—19½ acres. First used in 1876. Open daily. It is well kept, except the part nearest to Fortune Green.

4.The Tumulus, Parliament Hill Fields.—Excavated in 1894 by the London County Council, and said to be an ancient British burial-place of the early bronze period. Railed round for its protection.

N.B.—There are tumuli in Greenwich Park, and evidences of Roman cemeteries and other ancient burial-places in several parts of London.

ST. MARYLEBONE.

ST. MARYLEBONE.

ST. MARYLEBONE.

5.St. Marylebone Episcopal Chapel-ground, High Street.—⅓ acre

This chapel was the parish church until 1816. The churchyard is full of tombstones, closed and fairly neat.

6.St. Marylebone Burial-ground, Paddington Street, north side.—¾ acre. A mortuary was built in it a few years ago. The ground was consecrated in 1772. It is closed to the public, but neatly kept and used as a garden for the inmates of the adjoining workhouse.

7.St. Marylebone(also calledSt. George’s)Burial-ground, Paddington Street, south side.—2¼ acres. Consecrated in 1733, and very much used. Since 1886 it has been maintained as a public garden by the vestry, and is well kept.

8.St. John’s Wood Chapel-ground.—An additional burial-ground for the parish of Marylebone. 6 acres. The tombstones have not been moved, but the Marylebone Vestry maintains the ground as a public garden. It has a few seats in it, and is neatly kept.

PADDINGTON.

PADDINGTON.

PADDINGTON.

9.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—1 acre. The tombstones have not been moved, but the ground has been neatly laid out, and is kept open by the vestry.

10.The Old Burial-ground, Paddington.—3 acres. This adjoins St. Mary’s Churchyard, and was laid out and opened as a public garden by the vestry in 1885. It contains the site of an older church, dedicated to St. James.

KENSINGTON.

KENSINGTON.

KENSINGTON.

11.St. Mary Abbots Churchyard.—About 1¼ acres. The graveyard is smaller than it was 20 years ago because the present church is far larger than the original one, and recently a long porch or cloister has been added. It is neatly laid out but closed to the public.

12.Holy Trinity Churchyard, Brompton.—3½ acres. There are public thoroughfares through this ground, but they are railed off, and the churchyard is closed and has a neglected appearance.

13.Brompton Cemetery, also called West London Cemetery and London and Westminster Cemetery.—38 acres. First used in 1840. By 1889 upwards of 155,000 bodies had been interred there. It is crowded with tombstones, and is in the midst of a thickly populated district.

14.All Souls Cemetery, Kensal Green, partly in Hammersmith.—69 acres. Open daily and neatly kept. This cemetery has been in use since 1833, and it is crowded with tombstones and contains catacombs and numerous vaults and mausoleums.

15.Burial-ground of the Franciscan Convent of St. Elizabeth, Portobello Road.—This is a triangular grass plot, not above ¼ acre in size, in the garden behind the convent. It is surrounded by trees and neatly kept. It was sanctioned by the Home Secretary in 1862, and is only used for the interment of nuns, of whom five have been buried here, the first in 1870 and the last in 1893.

HAMMERSMITH.

HAMMERSMITH.

HAMMERSMITH.

16.St. Paul’s Churchyard.—1 acre. This is smaller than it used to be, the present church being larger than the old one, and a piece of the ground having been taken in 1884 to widen the road. It is neatly laid out and often open, but not a public recreation ground. It was consecrated in 1631, and frequently enlarged.

17.St. Peter’s Churchyard, Black Lion Lane.—1,800 square yards. Closed and untidy.

18.New West End Baptist Chapel-ground, King Street.—¼ acre. This is north and south of the chapel, the northern part having been encroached upon. Closed and neatly kept.

19.Wesleyan Chapel Burial-ground, Waterloo Street.—The chapel has been supplanted by a Board School, and the playground is the site of the burial-ground. It is tar-paved, has a few trees in it, and is about 500 square yards in size.

20.Friends Burial-ground, near the Creek.—300 square yards. This is on the north side of the Friends meeting-house, and is closed, but very neat. There are a few flat tombstones, and burials took place until about 1865.

21.St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Cemetery, Kensal Green.—30 acres. The first interment was in 1858, and it is now crowded with vaults, tombstones, &c. It is open daily and neatly kept.

22.The Cemetery of the Benedictine Nunnery, Fulham Palace Road.—This is a small burial-ground in the garden. According to a report from the Home Office it is about 14 by 12 yards in extent. It was in use before 1829, but was closed for interment some years ago.

23.The Cemetery of the Convent(Nazareth Home), in Hammersmith Road.—This is at the extreme end of the garden, under the wall of Great Church Lane. It is not more than 12 yards by 9 yards, and is used for the interment of the sisters, burials only taking place at considerable intervals. This ground has been in use for upwards of 40 years.

FULHAM.

FULHAM.

FULHAM.

24.All Saints’ Churchyard.—Two acres or more. This is kept open during the summer months, and has seats in it, but the gravestones have not been moved, nor has the ground been handed over to any public authority for maintenance. It is neatly kept. No new graves are dug in it, but where the rights can be proved certain old vaults are still occasionally used.

25.St. Mary’s Churchyard, Hammersmith Road.—Size ½ acre. This ground is closed, but fairly tidy. Several of the tombstones have been moved.

26.St. John’s Churchyard, Walham Green.—½ acre. There are only a few tombstones on the north side of the church and none on the south side, and the ground is closed and appears neglected.

27.St. Thomas’s Roman Catholic Churchyard, Fulham.—2,600 square yards. This ground was closed by order in Council in 1857, but only partially, for new graves are still dug in it, in the midst of a densely-populated district of new streets. The gate is usually open.

28.Lillie Road pest-field(the orchard of Normand House).—The site of this orchard, then 4 acres in extent, was used extensively for burials at the time of the Great Plague. Lintaine Grove now occupies part of it, and a row of houses in Lillie Road. Only about ¾ acre is still unbuilt upon, at the corner of Tilton Street, and this is offered for sale.

29.Fulham Cemetery.—12½ acres. First used in 1865. Open daily.

30.Hammersmith Cemetery, in Fulham Fields.—16½ acres. First used in 1869. Open daily.

CHELSEA.

CHELSEA.

CHELSEA.

31.St. Luke’s Churchyard(the old church on the Embankment).—¼ acre. This ground is closed and neglected.

32.St. Luke’s Churchyard(the new church in Robert Street).—2¼ acres. This ground was consecrated in 1812, and contains vaults and catacombs. It was laid out as a public garden and is maintained by the Chelsea Vestry.

33.Old Burial-ground, King’s Road.—¾ acre. Given to the parish of Chelsea by Sir Hans Sloane, consecrated in 1736, and enlarged in 1790. A mortuary has been built in it. It is laid out as a garden for the use of the inmates of the adjoining workhouse. Fragments of an old chapel and graveyard have been found here.

34.Chelsea Hospital Graveyard, Queen’s Road.—1⅓ acres. This ground was used for the interment of the pensioners. It is closed, but neatly kept.

35.All Souls Roman Catholic Burial-ground, Cadogan Terrace.—1½ acres. The adjoining chapel (St. Mary’s) was consecrated in 1811. The ground is closed and full of tombstones.

36.Moravian Burial-ground, Milman’s Row.—The part actually used for interments is fenced in and closed. It is neatly kept, the tombstones being very small flat ones. It belongs to the Congregation of the Moravian Church in Fetter Lane, E.C., and was closed by order in Council about 8 years ago.

37.Jewish Burial-ground, Fulham Road.—½ acre. It belongs to the Western Synagogue, St. Alban’s Place, S.W., and was first used in 1813. It is closed to the public except between 11 and 4 on Sundays.

ST. GEORGE’S, HANOVER SQUARE.

ST. GEORGE’S, HANOVER SQUARE.

ST. GEORGE’S, HANOVER SQUARE.

38.St. George’s Burial-ground, Mount Street.—1¼ acres. Laid out as a public garden, and beautifully kept by the vestry. The ground dates from about 1730, but there are very few tombstones.

39.St. George’s Burial-Ground, Bayswater Road.—Laid out by the vestry, the gravestones having been placed round the walls. The approaches to this ground are its chief drawback, and it is not visible from any public road. One entrance is through the chapel facing Hyde Park, and the other is in a mews. It is about 5 acres in extent.

WESTMINSTER (ST. MARGARET AND ST. JOHN).

WESTMINSTER (ST. MARGARET AND ST. JOHN).

WESTMINSTER (ST. MARGARET AND ST. JOHN).

40.The Churchyard of Westminster Abbey.—What remains of the extensive burial-ground which once occupied this site is the piece of land on the north side of the Abbey, and the cloisters. (SeeSt. Margaret’s.)

41.St. Margaret’s Churchyard.—This was laid out as a public garden, and forms one ground with the Abbey churchyard. It is well kept up by the burial board of the parish. The size of the churchyard, with the ground used for interments which belongs to the Abbey, is about 2¼ acres.

42.Christ Church Churchyard, Victoria Street (also called St. Margaret’s burying-ground).—This church was a chapel of ease to St. Margaret’s. The adjoining graveyard has had a vicarage built in it. What remains is 7,000 square yards in size, closed, with flat tombstones and grass.

43.St. John the Evangelist Churchyard, Smith Square.—This churchyard used to extend, at the beginning of the century, for some distance on the south side of the church, but was thrown into the road. Now all that remains is a very small bare enclosure, not ¼ acre in size, railed in round the church.

44.Additional ground for St. John’s Parish, Horseferry Road.—Walled in in 1627, and very much used, especially for the burial of soldiers. It is 1½ acres in size, and has been laid out as public garden. It is neatly kept by the vestry, and much frequented.

45.Vincent Square.—8 acres. This is what remains of the Tothill Fields pest-field. It is the playground of Westminster School, and some buildings have been erected in it. A stone-paved yard in Earl Street is said to be the site of the plague-pits.

46.Millbank Penitentiary Burial-ground.—432 square yards in size. In 1830-33 there were an average of 14 interments per annum, but at times it was more used. The site of this graveyard will be preserved when the space which used to be occupied by the prison is built upon.

47.Knightsbridge Green.—Victims of the plague from the leper hospital and elsewhere were buried here. A grassy, closed triangle opposite Tattersalls.

ST. MARTIN’S IN THE FIELDS.

ST. MARTIN’S IN THE FIELDS.

ST. MARTIN’S IN THE FIELDS.

48.St. Martin’s Churchyard.—⅓ acre. This is stone-paved, has trees and seats in it supplied by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association, and is maintained by the vestry.

49.Additional ground in Drury Lane.—Less than ¼ acre. Laid out as a public garden, and now maintained by the vestry. It is well kept, and contains some gymnastic apparatus for the use of the children. Also called the Tavistock burial-ground.

ST. JAMES’S, WESTMINSTER.

ST. JAMES’S, WESTMINSTER.

ST. JAMES’S, WESTMINSTER.

50.St. James’s Churchyard, Piccadilly.—½ acre. This is a dreary ground, and might be made very attractive. The part where most burials took place is considerably raised above the rest. The yard on the north side of the church is entirely paved with stones, amongst which are many tombstones. In the upper part tombstones form the walks, the walls, &c. One gate is often unlatched.

51.St. James’s Workhouse Ground, Poland Street.—The workhouse was built upon a “common cemetery” where, at the time of the plague, many thousands of bodies were interred. A small part of it was kept as the workhouse burial-ground, but this has now disappeared, and all that is left of the original ground used for interments is the garden or courtyard of the workhouse. It is a pleasant recreation ground for the inmates, and is well supplied with seats, being about ¼ acre in extent.

THE STRAND.

THE STRAND.

THE STRAND.

52.St. Mary le Strand Churchyard.—At the west end of the church, about 200 square yards in size, closed and not well kept.

53.Additional ground, Russell Court, Catherine Street.—430 square yards. It is probable that few grounds in London were more overcrowded with bodies than this one, which was entirely surrounded by the backs of small houses. When closed in 1853 it was in a very disgusting and unwholesome condition, and it continued to be most wretched until the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association asphalted it in 1886. It is maintained as a children’s playground by the London County Council. This is the scene of “Tom all alone’s” in “Bleak House.” There are 6 gravestones against the wall.

54.St. Clement Danes Churchyard.—This is now ¼ acre in extent, having been curtailed when the Strand was altered. It is closed.

55.Additional ground, Portugal Street.—This was called the “Green-ground,” and was crowded with bodies. A corner of King’s College Hospital was built upon the ground. The remaining piece is nearly ½ acre in size, between the hospital and Portugal Street. It is now the entrance drive and a grass plot. It is neatly kept, with some trees and seats in it, and is used solely by the hospital.

56.St. Paul’s Churchyard, Covent Garden.—¾ acre. Given by the Earl of Bedford in 1631. It is closed and very neat, the tombstones forming a flat paved yard round the church, while the rest of the ground is turfed.

57.St. Ann’s Churchyard, Soho.—½ acre. It is estimated that in this small ground and the vaults under the church 110,240 bodies were interred during 160 years. It was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1892, and is maintained as a recreation ground in very good order by the Strand District Board of Works.

58.The Churchyard of the Chapel Royal(St. Mary’s), Savoy.—¼ acre. This ground was much used for the internment of soldiers. It belongs to Her Majesty the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, and was laid out as a public garden at the cost of the Queen, the Earl of Meath, and others. It is well maintained by the parish.

ST. GILES IN THE FIELDS.

ST. GILES IN THE FIELDS.

ST. GILES IN THE FIELDS.

59.St. Giles’ Churchyard.—Nearly an acre. This ground being originally consecrated by a Roman Catholic, was much used by the poor Irish. It was enlarged in 1628, and at various subsequent dates, and was very much overcrowded, and it occupies the site of an ancient graveyard attached to a leper hospital. It has been laid out as a public garden, and is maintained by the St. Giles’ District Board of Works. The brightest part of the ground is north of the church, and this is only opened at the discretion of the caretaker.

HOLBORN.

HOLBORN.

HOLBORN.

60.Additional ground for St. John’s, Clerkenwell, in Benjamin Street.—This land, which is nearly ¼ acre in extent, was consecrated in 1775. It was laid out as a public garden ten years ago, and is maintained by trustees with help from the Holborn District Board of Works and the Clerkenwell Vestry. Very well kept.

61.Charterhouse Square.—This garden is a part of the site of a burial-ground dating back to 1349, when Sir Walter de Manny purchased from St. Bartholomew’s Hospital 13 acres of land, known as the Spittle Croft, for the burial of those who died in the plague of that time. In 20 years 50,000 bodies were interred there. In 1371 the Carthusian Monastery was built upon it. This Pardon Churchyard was a space of three acres acquired a year earlier, to which the plague-ground was added. This Pardon Churchyard survived longer, being used for suicides and executed people. Charterhouse Square is 1¼ acres.

62.The old Charterhouse Graveyard.—In 1828 to 1830, when the present Pensioners’ Court and other buildings were erected, part of this ground was built upon; but part exists in the courtyard on each side of the Pensioners’ Courts, being about ⅓ acre in extent. All the open land has been used at one time or another for burials.

63.The new Charterhouse Burial-ground.—When the above ground was done away with, a smaller piece to the north was set aside for the interment of the pensioners. This remains still, and is very neatly kept. There are a few gravestones on the wall and splendid fruit trees. It is about ¼ acre in extent.

CLERKENWELL.

CLERKENWELL.

CLERKENWELL.

64.St. James’s Churchyard.—¾ acre. This ground was purchased in 1673, enlarged in 1677, and is now laid out as a public garden and maintained by the vestry.

65.Additional ground, Bowling Green Lane(called St. James’s middle ground).—This was leased by the parish, with the adjoining “Cherry Tree” public-house, in 1775 for 99 years. It is ¼ acre in size, situated at the corner of Rosoman Street and Bowling Green Lane. The London School Board secured it when the lease ran out, and it is now the playground of the Bowling Green Lane School.

66.The Burial-ground of St. James’s, Pentonville Road.––This was formed as an additional ground for the parish of St. James, Clerkenwell. It is nearly an acre in extent, full of tombstones and very untidy, but the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association has undertaken to convert it into a public garden.

67.St. John’s Churchyard.—What exists of this is between the church and St. John Street, a narrow strip, about 320 square yards in extent, closed and paved with tiles and tombstones. Its laying out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association is in hand.

68.Spa Fields Burial-ground, Exmouth Street.—Originally a tea-garden, afterwards a burial-ground, managed by a private individual. It is the property of the Marquis of Northampton, is about 1¾ acres in extent, and in the evenings is occasionally used as a volunteer drill-ground. In 1885 the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association laid it out as a playground, and the London County Council maintains it.

ST. PANCRAS.

ST. PANCRAS.

ST. PANCRAS.

69.St. Pancras Burial-ground, Pancras Road.

70.St. Giles in The Fields Burial-ground, Pancras Road.—These two grounds now form one garden, about 6 acres in extent, maintained with much care for the use of the public by St. Pancras Vestry. St. Giles’ ground dates from 1803, but the other is much older. In 1889 part of St. Pancras ground was acquired under a special Act by the Midland Railway Company. This part was, in 1791, assigned to the FrenchÉmigrés, and many celebrated Frenchmen and Roman Catholics were buried there. Part of it has not actually been built upon, as the railway goes over it on arches. There are many high stacks of tombstones in the garden, and a “trophy” and a “dome” of headstones, numbering 496, which were taken from the part acquired by the railway.

71.St. Martin’s in the Fields Burial-groundin Pratt Street.—1¾ acres. This was consecrated in 1805. It is now a well-kept public garden under the control of the St. Pancras Vestry. A part appears to have been appropriated as a private garden for the almshouses and as a site for a chapel and other buildings.

72.St. James’s Burial-ground, Hampstead Road.—This belongs to the parish of St. James, Piccadilly. It was laid out as a public garden in 1887, and is maintained by the St. Pancras Vestry, a large slice at the east end having been taken off for public improvements. The remaining portion measures about 3 acres.

73.St. Andrew’s Burial-ground, Gray’s Inn Road.—1¼ acres. This ground belongs to the parish of St. Andrew, Holborn, adjoins the church of Holy Trinity, and is maintained as a public garden by the St. Pancras Vestry. It is well kept, except a railed-off piece south of the church, which is a sort of lumber-room.

74.The Burial-ground of St. George’s, Bloomsbury.

75.The Burial-ground of St. George the Martyr, Bloomsbury.—These are out of Wakefield Street, Gray’s Inn Road, and together form one public garden maintained by the St. Pancras Vestry, and very well kept. A part of the latter, which was consecrated in 1714, is still closed. Each ground is 1¼ acres in extent. There are vaults under the church in Hart Street.

76.Whitfield’s Tabernacle Burial-ground, Tottenham Court Road.—Somewhat less than ½ acre. The London County Council opened it as a public garden in February, 1895. It is said that in 97 years upwards of 30,000 bodies were interred in this ground.

77.Wesleyan Chapel-ground, Liverpool Street, King’s Cross.—An untidy little closed yard at the west end of the chapel containing two tombstones and much rubbish, and measuring about 225 square yards.

78.St. James’s Cemetery, Highgate.—38 acres. First used in 1839. In 50 years 76,000 interments had taken place. It is in two portions and situated on a steep slope. Open daily.

ISLINGTON.

ISLINGTON.

ISLINGTON.

79.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—1⅓ acres. This ground was enlarged in 1793, and was laid out as a public garden in 1885. It is maintained by the vicar and churchwardens.

80.Additional ground round the Chapel of Ease in Holloway Road.—4 acres. This is also laid out as a public garden, and is beautifully kept by the Islington Vestry.

81.Burial-ground of St. John’s Roman Catholic Church, Duncan Row.—½ acre. A strip at the northern end of this ground is railed off with some tombstones in it, the remainder being tar-paved and used as a playground for the boys’ Roman Catholic school.

82.Islington Chapel-ground, Church Street (also called Little Bunhill Fields).—The original chapel was built in 1788, and had a small graveyard. In 1817 the Rev. Evan Jones bought the garden of 5, Church Row, and added it to this graveyard, the whole ground being nearly 1 acre in extent. It is now in several divisions, part is a yard belonging to the General Post Office, and the other parts are let and sold as builders’ yards, or are vacant.

83.Maberley Chapel-ground, Ball’s Pond Road.—Now called Earlham Hall. The ground is about 270 square yards, between the chapel and the road. It is closed and bare.

84.Jewish Burial-ground, Ball’s Pond.—1¼ acres. This belongs to the West London Synagogue, is very neatly kept, and is still in use. It is full of very large tombstones.

ST. LUKE’S.

ST. LUKE’S.

ST. LUKE’S.

85.St. Luke’s Churchyard, Old Street.—In two parts. Size of the whole ground, nearly 1¾ acres. The piece round the church is closed, and full of large altar tombs, ivy being planted most profusely. There is a great deal of rubbish in it. The part on the north side was laid out as a public garden in 1878, and is maintained by the vestry.

86.The Poor ground, Bath Street.—¼ acre. This was originally larger than it is now. It was consecrated in 1662 for the parish of St. Giles, Cripplegate, and called the pest-house ground. After 1732, when St. Luke’s parish was formed, it was used by that parish. Now it is neatly laid out and used as a recreation ground by the patients of the St. Luke’s Asylum. It is ¼ acre in extent.

87.Wesleyan Chapel-ground, City Road.—½ acre. The part in front of the chapel is neatly kept, but the part behind is closed and not so tidy. Wesley himself was buried in a vault here.

88.Bunhill Fields.—5 or 6 acres. This was originally two grounds, the southern part having been intended for burials in the Great Plague, but not being used was let by the Corporation to a Mr. John Tyndall, who carried it on as a private cemetery. Subsequently the northern part was added, and the whole ground extensively used for the interment of Dissenters. The Corporation maintain it as a public garden, but the tombstones have not been moved, and only the gates at the eastern end are generally open.

89.The Friends Burial-ground, Bunhill Row.—Acquired in 1661, many times added to, and chiefly used by the Friends of the Peel and Bull-and-Mouth divisions. In 1840 a school was built in it. The existing portion is about ½ acre in size, and is neatly kept as a private garden; but the remainder was used as the site for a Board School, a coffee palace, houses and shops, including the Bunhill Fields Memorial Buildings, erected in 1881.

90.St. Bartholomew’s Hospital Ground, Seward Street.—⅓ acre. This was used for the interment of the unclaimed bodies. After being closed it was let as a carter’s yard until it was laid out as a public playground by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1891. It is maintained by St. Luke’s Vestry.

91.Cripplegate Poor ground, Whitecross Street.—It was called the “upper churchyard” of St. Giles, and was first used in 1636. It was very much overcrowded, the fees being low. A part of the site is occupied by the church and mission-house of St. Mary, Charterhouse, erected in 1864, and only a very small courtyard now exists between these buildings, with a large vault.

92.The City Bunhill (or Golden Lane) Burial-ground.—¼ acres. This was the site of a brewery, and set aside for burials in 1833. About one-third of it is in the City. It is now divided. One part is in the occupation of Messrs. Sutton and Co., carriers, and is full of sheds and carts, the greater part being roofed in, and the southern part has the City mortuary and coroner’s court on it. What is unbuilt upon is a neat, private yard between these two buildings. It was closed for burials in 1853.

SHOREDITCH.

SHOREDITCH.

SHOREDITCH.

93.St. Leonard’s Churchyard.—1½ acres. Maintained as a public garden by the Shoreditch Vestry. It is, I believe, partly in Bethnal Green.

94.Old Burial-ground, Hackney Road.—½ acre. This has an ancient watch-house in it, which was subsequently used as a cholera hospital. In 1892 the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association laid it out as a public playground, and it is maintained by the Burial Board.

95.Holywell Mount Burial-ground.—Behind St. James’s Church, Curtain Road, which occupies the site of a theatre of Shakespeare’s time. The ground is very old, and was much used at the time of plagues, and many actors are buried there. There is only about ⅓ acre left, the greater part having been used as the site for a parish room, and this is a timber-yard approached from Holywell Row.

96.St. Mary’s Churchyard, Haggerston.—1⅓ acre. This is maintained by the Shoreditch Burial Board as a public garden, open during the summer. It was laid out by the Earl and Countess of Meath in 1882.

97.St. John’s Churchyard, Hoxton.—1¼ acres. Also maintained by the Shoreditch Burial Board, and laid out by the Earl and Countess of Meath.

98.Jewish Burial-ground, Hoxton Street.—¼ acre. This belongs to the United Synagogue, and was used from 1700 till 1795. There is no grass, but many tombstones, and some one is sent four times a year to clear away the weeds, &c. It is not a tidy ground.

HACKNEY.

HACKNEY.

HACKNEY.

99.St. John at Hackney Churchyard.—6 acres. This includes an older ground, attached to the original church of St. Augustine, of which the tower still remains. Part of the churchyard is laid out as a public garden, and is neatly kept by the Hackney District Board of Works, but the newer part to the south of the church is still full of tombstones and rather untidy grass. The newest part of all, “the poor ground,” which is at the extreme southern end, is laid out for the use of children.

100.West Hackney Churchyard, Stoke Newington Road.—Nearly 1½ acres. This was consecrated in 1824, and laid out as a public garden in 1885. It is maintained by the Hackney District Board of Works.

101.St. Barnabas’s Churchyard, Homerton.—¾ acre. This ground is not open, but a good deal of care is shown in its management. In 1884 the Easter offerings were devoted to its improvement, and many tombstones were then laid flat.

102.St. John of Jerusalem Churchyard, South Hackney.—About ¾ acre. This was consecrated in 1831. It is full of tombstones, and the grass is not well kept, but it is usually open for people to pass through. It was closed for burials in 1868.

103.Wells Street Burial-ground.—This contains the site of the original South Hackney Church. It was laid out as a public garden in 1885, and is very neatly kept by the Hackney District Board of Works. Nearly ¾ acre.

104.Independent Chapel-ground, Mare Street (also called St. Thomas’ Square Burial-ground).—⅔ acre. Laid out in 1888, and maintained by the Hackney District Board of Works, who paid, £100 for a passage to join this ground with No. 103, one caretaker managing both of them. It is very bright and neat. The ornamental shelter occupies the site of a previous building.

105.Baptist Chapel-ground, Mare Street.—About 500 square yards at the back of the chapel. There are several tombstones tumbling about, and the ground is very untidy.

106.New Gravel Pit Chapel-ground, Chatham Place, attached to the Unitarian Church.—¾ acre. This is full of tombstones and fairly tidy. The gate is usually open, the chapel-keeper living behind the chapel, and having a green-house and fowl-house, &c., in the ground.

107.Retreat Place.—A garden in front of 12 almshouses, founded in 1812 “for the widows of Dissenting ministers professing Calvinistic doctrines.” Samuel Robinson, the founder, and his wife, are buried in the middle of the garden.

108.Jewish Burial-ground, Grove-street.—2¼ acres. This belongs to the United Synagogue, and was purchased in 1788. It is closed and full of erect tombstones, and has some trees and flower-beds near the entrance.

STOKE NEWINGTON.

STOKE NEWINGTON.

STOKE NEWINGTON.

109.St. Mary’s Churchyard, Stoke Newington.—¾ acre. A very pretty ground round the old church, but not laid out or opened.

110.Friend’s Burial-ground, Park Street, Stoke Newington, adjoining the meeting-house.—¾ acre. This was bought in 1827, and enlarged in 1849. It is still in use and neatly kept, but not open to the public.

111.Abney Park Cemetery.—32 acres. First used in 1840. Neatly kept and open daily, being chiefly used by Dissenters. It is crowded with tombstones.

BETHNAL GREEN.

BETHNAL GREEN.

BETHNAL GREEN.

112.St. Matthew’s Churchyard.—About 2 acres. This was consecrated in 1746, and was much overcrowded. A mortuary was built in it some years ago. There are vaults under the schools as well as the church. It is closed, but negotiations are on foot respecting its conversion into a garden.

113.St. Peter’s Churchyard, Hackney Road.—¼ acre. This churchyard is maintained as a public garden by the vicar, who opens it during the summer months. There are not many tombstones.

114.St. Bartholomew’s Churchyard, near Cambridge Road.—Nearly an acre. This was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1885, and is maintained by the London County Council. It is immensely appreciated.

115.St. James the Less Churchyard, Old Ford Road.—Over an acre. Closed and considerably below the church. It contains about 10 tombstones, and several cocks and hens live in it. It is bare and damp.

116.Providence Chapel Burial-ground, Shoreditch Tabernacle, Hackney Road, was built on the site of the chapel. Part of the graveyard exists as a tar-paved yard or passage by the Tabernacle, with 4 tombstones against the walls.

117.Victoria Park Cemetery.—11 acres. This is maintained as a public garden by the London County Council, having been laid out in 1894 by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association. It was formed in 1845, and used for 40 years. Before being laid out it was a most dreary, neglected-looking place; the soil is a heavy clay, and there used to be large wet lumps lying about all over the ground. At a burial in 1884 the clerk brought a handful of earth out of his pocket to throw upon the coffin. Now it is a bright, useful, little park, and is called Meath Gardens.

118.Peel Grove Burial-ground(also called North-East London Cemetery, Cambridge Heath or Road Burial-ground and Keldy’s Ground). According to a return in 1855 it was 4 acres in extent, but now there is hardly one acre. It is in the occupation of J. Glover and Sons, dealers in building materials, and is full of wood, pipes, &c. There are some sheds in it. It was a private ground, formed 100 years ago, and was very much crowded. The late Metropolitan Board of Works saved the existing part from being built over. Before its present use it was often let out for shows, fairs, &c.

119.Gibraltar Walk Burial-ground, Bethnal Green Road.—Another private ground, formed about 100 years ago. It belongs to a lady who lives in the house which opens into it, and who has let pieces of it as yards for the shops and houses round. It is full of shrubs, trees, and weeds, and covered with rubbish, and is about ¾ acre in size.

120.Jewish Burial-ground, Brady Street.—This existed 100 years ago, and belongs to the United Synagogue. I believe it is about 4 acres. It is crowded with upright gravestones, and there are no properly made paths, but it is covered with neglected grass. Part of it is higher than the rest, the soil having been raised and the ground having been used a second time. This was the “Strangers’” portion.

WHITECHAPEL.

WHITECHAPEL.

WHITECHAPEL.

121.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—¾ acre. This is a very old churchyard, and was much overcrowded. It is maintained by the rector as a garden, but a charge of 1d. is made for entrance. It is neatly laid out.

122.Additional ground, Whitechapel Road, entrance in St. Mary’s Street.—This was called the workhouse burial-ground, the workhouse having been built in 1768 upon a former graveyard, and this piece to the north of it having then been set aside for interments and consecrated in 1796. The workhouse site was built upon some years ago, and the burial-ground became the playground of the Davenant Schools, one of which, the one facing St. Mary’s Street, was built in it. In the order for closing it, dated May 9, 1853, it is called the Whitechapel Workhouse and Schools Ground. It is difficult to say exactly how far east the burial-ground extended, but from the Ordnance map and some older plans it would appear that the recent addition to the school in Whitechapel Road has been built in the burial-ground. In 1833 the size was given as 2,776 square yards, but it was stated that in 1832 196 cholera cases were interred in an adjoining piece of ground. This is probably what is now used as a stoneyard, with carts in it.

123.Christ Church Churchyard, Spitalfields.—1¾ acres. Laid out as a public garden by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1892, the association having undertaken to maintain it for 5 years.

124.St. Peter and Vincula Churchyard, in the Tower.—This, with the vaults under the church, was used for the interment of distinguished prisoners. It is a part of the great courtyard, and is about 525 square yards in extent.

125.Holy Trinity Churchyard, Minories.—A burial-ground possibly dating back to 1348. It has been added to the roadway of Church Street, some posts showing its boundaries. It was about 302 square yards in extent. Part has been built upon.

126.Aldgate Burial-ground, Cartwright Street.—This belongs to the parish of St. Botolph, Aldgate, and was consecrated in 1615. At the beginning of this century it was covered with small houses, the Weigh House School being built on it in 1846. The rookery was cleared by the Metropolitan Board of Works, and Darby Street was made, gravestones and remains being then discovered. The Metropolitan Public Gardens Association informed the Board of the former existence of a burial-ground, with the result that what remained of the burial-ground was not built upon, but was made into an asphalted playground, about ⅛ acre in extent, for the children of the adjoining block of tenements.

127.German Lutheran Church, Little Alie Street.—A small yard exists at the back of the church. Closed.

128.Friends Burial-ground, Baker’s Row.—Very nearly an acre. This belonged to the Friends of the Devonshire House division, who acquired it in 1687. It is leased by the society to the Whitechapel District Board of Works, who maintain it as a public recreation ground. It is well laid out and well kept, being chiefly used by children.

129.Mile End New Town Burial-ground, Hanbury Street.—This adjoined the chapel, and extended from Hanbury Street to Old Montague Street. A school and other buildings have been erected in it, and all that is left is a paved yard, about 250 square yards in size, on the west side of the chapel.

130.Sheen’s Burial-ground, Church Lane.—A private ground, immensely used. It seems to have been at one time used by the congregation of the Baptists in Little Alie Street, and was then called “Mr. Brittain’s burial-ground.” If so it existed in 1763. After being closed for burials it was used as a cooperage, and now it is Messrs. Fairclough’s yard, and full of carts and sheds, &c. A new stable was built in 1894, but the London County Council declined to prevent its erection. The size of the ground is about ½ acre.

131.The Landon Hospital Burial-ground.—In a plan of 1849 the whole of the southern part of the enclosure is marked as a burial-ground, which would be 1½ acres in extent. It was closed on November 25, 1853, but at the hospital it is stated that bodies were interred there after 1859, though not after 1864. Since then the medical school, the chaplain’s house, and the nurses’ home have been built in it. The remaining part of the ground is used as a garden and tennis-lawn for the students and nurses.

ST. GEORGE’S IN THE EAST.

ST. GEORGE’S IN THE EAST.

ST. GEORGE’S IN THE EAST.

132.St. George’s Churchyard.—Dates from about 1730. The wall between this ground and the next one was taken down in 1875, and the two grounds were laid out as a public garden. They are maintained by the vestry, and, although in a densely crowded district, are beautifully kept. The size of the whole garden, consisting of the two graveyards, is about 3 acres.

133.St. George’s Wesleyan Chapel-ground, Cable Street.—This forms one garden with the above.

134.New Road Congregational Chapel-yard, Cannon Street Road, between Lower and Upper Chapman Streets.—This was a much-used burial-ground, part of which has been covered with sheds and houses. What is left is about ⅓ acre in extent. The chapel was bought in 1832, and became Trinity Episcopal Chapel, and was subsequently removed and its site used for the new building of Raine’s School. The burial-ground is in three parts, viz., the playground of the school, a cooper’s yard, belonging to Messrs. Hasted and Sons, and a carter’s yard of Messrs. Seaward Brothers.

135.Danish Burial-ground, Wellclose Square.—The Danish (or Mariners’) Church has been supplanted by the Schools of St. Paul’s, London Docks, and the whole of the garden is neatly laid out, and used as a private ground for the people who look after the schools, the crèche, &c. There are no tombstones now, and it is possible that only an enclosure round the church was used, like the railed-in enclosure in Prince’s Square.

136.Swedish Burial-ground, Prince’s Square.—Round the Eleanora Church, over ½ acre in size. It is very neatly laid out and well kept, and contains many tombstones.

137.Ebenezer Chapel Burial-ground, St. George’s Street.—This was described in 1839 as being very much overcrowded. The chapel has been used us a school, but is now deserted, the small yard on the south side of it is used as a timber-yard and closed. About 220 square yards.

138.Congregational Chapel-ground, Old Gravel Lane.—140 square yards. Closed, bare, and untidy, with two gravestones against the wall.

139.Baptist Burial-ground, Broad Street, Wapping.—Mentioned by Maitland in 1756, and shown on Rocque’s plan. The chapel has gone, but part of the adjoining yard exists as a small yard belonging to a milkman. Before he bought it it was the parish stoneyard. It is about 200 square yards in size. I have little doubt that this is a burial-ground.

140.Roman Catholic Burial-ground, Commercial Road.—The tombstones are flat and the ground is used as a private garden for the priests. It is about ½ acre in extent.


Back to IndexNext