The Fusiliers about 1845
After 1798 the Fusiliers were never without vigorous and congenial companionship. Enthusiasm was then in full flood; George Washington had shown his patriotism by consenting to accept a subordinate position, that of Lieutenant General of the army under President John Adams; and men were enrolling themselves in the new legionary brigade. America was aflame with indignation over French injustice. On September 4, 1798, the Boston Light Infantry was organized after four months of preliminary meetings—the body which today reports to the Adjutant as the 2d Company, M. C. A. Their motto, “Death or an honorable life,” is a ringing echo of Charles C. Pinckney’s immortal words, “Millions for defence; not one cent for tribute.” At the first banquet of the company, Oct. 18, 1798, when the charter was received, the principal toast was—“The United Statesof America; as they have drawn the sword of justice with reason, may they never sheathe it with disgrace.” Would that this sentiment might always prevail with the authorities in Washington! Amongst the members present at this banquet were sons or near relatives of such patriots as Paul Revere, James Otis and Joseph Warren. Truly the sons were rallying about the standard of the fathers. Drills were first held in the old State House, and after 1802 in Faneuil Hall.
There were lovers of Shakespeare in the Boston Light Infantry. At a dinner in 1815 one of them gave point to his speech by quoting the words of Henry V, hero of Agincourt:
“In peace, there’s nothing so becomes a man,As modest stillness, and humility:But when the blast of war blows in our ears,Then imitate the action of the tiger.”
“In peace, there’s nothing so becomes a man,As modest stillness, and humility:But when the blast of war blows in our ears,Then imitate the action of the tiger.”
All of the speech was forgotten except the final words of the quotation, “The tiger!” Company orators kept repeating the expression. Ere long the Boston Light Infantry found itself provided with a nickname—and it is best known thruout its long history as “The Tigers.”
In 1800 the Fusiliers under Capt. John Brazer and the Tigers, Capt. Daniel Sargent (a merchant in civil life), were the two light infantry companies constituting the sub-legion of light infantry—both being entirely independent. Indeed the sub-legion of light infantry had no field officer until Feb. 14, 1806, when Capt. Daniel Messinger of the Winslow Blues was elected Major. The Blues were organized in 1799 and first appeared on the sub-legion roster in 1802. The Washington Light Infantry were organized in 1803.
When in 1810 the legionary brigade was transformed intothe 3d Brigade, 1st Division, Maj. Messinger’s sub-legion of light infantry was broken up and the companies were distributed amongst the infantry regiments of the brigade. The Fusiliers and the Washington Lt. Inf. were incorporated with the 1st Reg., the Tigers with the 2d, and the Winslow Blues with the 3d. These infantry regiments, former “legionaries,” were neither train-band militia nor independent uniformed volunteers. Their status was somewhere between the two; it was hoped that the light infantry companies might serve as leaven for the infantry, and bring all up to the volunteer standard. The arrangement continued until 1834. By that time it was clear that only the independent companies, the “light” infantry, retained any vitality; and they were separated from the infantry regiments, and organized into a separate “Regiment of Light Infantry, 3d Brigade.”
Non-commissioned officers of the light infantry companies manifested active interest in the training school, “The Soul of the Soldiery,” from 1811 until 1819 and later.
Another company was born amid the war excitement of 1812, the New England Guards. Even from the days of their first Captain, Samuel Swett, it was felt that a distinguished destiny awaited the organization. During their entire half century of existence, they made constant effort to maintain their personnel at the highest standard; and the effort was crowned with success. An extant lithograph, in the museum of the A. & H. Art. Co., shows the Guards in the year 1836 parading with four platoons of twelve files each—numbers indicative of the company’s popularity. They were added to the 2d Regiment, and thereafter were associated with the Tigers.
During the war with England the light infantry companies rendered service at the harbor forts similar to that of theartillery. By request of the commandant of the Charlestown Navy Yard, the New England Guards were stationed at the Chelsea bridge for eleven days from June 13, 1814, in order to prevent an expected raid by a hostile landing party. The entire membership of the Fusiliers was on duty from Sept. 12 until Oct. 10, under Capt. Gerry Fairbanks (a hatter in civil life); and detachments continued doing garrison duty several weeks longer. The Tigers helped to build Ft. Strong on Jeffries Point, East Boston; similar activity characterized the other companies. Massachusetts’ crest is a sword borne by the arm of a civilian: Massachusetts citizens in 1814 bore the sword effectively and well.
The light infantry companies participated in the same parades and public festal occasions as did the artillery companies. These events are elsewhere described in sufficient detail. In the sterner task of maintaining public order the New England Guards were on duty twice—July 7, 1824, and Feb. 11, 1825,—in connection with conflagrations. In both instances personal property had been saved from the fire and temporarily deposited in a place of safety; and the troops mounted guard against pillagers. The Tigers subscribed the first $100 toward the cost of Bunker Hill monument.
From the disbandment of Maj. Messinger’s battalion in 1810 until the organization of the regiment of light infantry in 1834, the companies of light infantry were associated only in the larger unit of the 3d Brigade. While the Coast Artillery includes all the surviving units of that Brigade, and altho the 3d Brigade was the most solid and efficient part of the old militia, still it does not seem wise to treat Brigade history in particular detail. Suffice it to say that four strong companies of light infantry continued active in the infantry regiments of the brigade—the Fusiliers in the 1st Regiment,the Tigers and the New England Guards in the 2d, and the Winslow Blues in the 3d. Lists of company commanders are recorded elsewhere. A new branch of the service came into existence, the “Rifles,” and were accorded precedence over others—were given the right of the line in parades. In appearance they differed from other troops, as they wore jaunty green uniforms, and carried short flint-lock rifles without bayonets. These riflemen aimed to reproduce the famous corps under Daniel Morgan and others in the Revolutionary war, the frontiersmen and rangers clad in buckskin hunting-shirts who were so terrifying to America’s enemies. It has always seemed strange to the writer that the frontiersman’s costume, the only distinctively American garb ever devised, should not continue in use. Not even these new riflemen, however, succeeded in remaining true to type. While they were fond of picturing themselves in the hunting-shirt, the uniforms which they actually wore followed German models. One valuable contribution the new rifles did make to militia life, they were pioneers in setting up target practice as part of the soldier’s training.
Light infantry and rifles were distinguished from other infantry by the fact that they were trained in the skirmish drill, and were alone qualified to perform outpost duty. In line, they formed on the flanks of other companies. From time to time additional commands aspired to become light infantry, and some realized their aspirations. By 1834 there were eight companies altogether in the infantry regiments who felt dissatisfied with their regimental connection, and resented the waning interest which regimental neighbors displayed in things military. Their plan was to separate from the infantry, and revive the old battalion of light infantry, whose members should all be volunteers and uniformed, the battalion which had been broken up in 1810—inshort, to organize a Light Infantry Regiment in the 3d Brigade. From the 1st Regiment came the Fusiliers, the Washington Lt. Infantry and the Mechanic Rifles; from the 2d the Tigers and the New England Guards; and from the 3d the Winslow Blues, the City Guards (organized Sept. 21, 1821), and the Rifle Rangers (organized 1820). In 1835 a new company was added, the Lafayette Gds.
The new regiment was organized in Aug., 1834, with eight companies, and Col. Amasa G. Smith of the 2d Regiment was elected to command. A succession of field officers, which had begun in 1806 with Major Messinger and had been interrupted from 1810 until 1834, was thereafter to be continuous. Col. Smith’s commission was dated July 29, 1834; he continued in command until Feb. 23, 1838.
Judged by the standards of the day, Col. Smith’s regiment was a very fine one, indeed was a “crack” command. No less an authority than President Andrew Jackson is reported to have testified, “I have never seen its equal.” Most of the companies wore blue swallow-tail coats and white duck trousers—the latter quite regardless of weather; gradually blue nether garments were added for use on stormy days. The two rifle companies wore green, the Rangers having frock coats and uhlan hats; while extant engravings of the City Guards in 1844, the year of their famous march to Baltimore, show them clad in gray suits of a pattern precisely the same as those worn by the New York 7th. The City Guards were the first corps to wear gray in Boston; and the Fusiliers were equally distinguished by reason of their scarlet coats. While there was lack of regimental uniformity, there must have been a striking ensemble when the companies formed battalion line.
To the Fusiliers, in June, 1835, fell the honor of introducing an important tradition into the regiment. For at thattime, after a year’s preparation, they undertook an excursion to Washington, as a compliment to President Andrew Jackson, who was soon to give place to Martin Van Buren. The start was made after partaking of a collation at Gov. John Davis’ house; progress was made by march, stage, steamboat and rail; they camped on Capitol Hill; and dined with Gen. Jackson at the White House. This was not exactly a trip to “the inauguration,” but it proved to be the commencement of a custom which today takes the command to Washington once every four years.
In 1837 a company came into existence which was destined to prove the temporary undoing of the Light Infantry Regiment, and was also to subject Boston’s spirit of fairness and right to its most searching test. The “Montgomery Guards,” they were called. Altho named after the same heroic Richard Montgomery who was to give title to another and more famous company of Montgomery Guards fifteen years later, they must not be confused with the latter body. The critical point was that the members were all of Irish birth; and Boston, for the first time in sixty years, found a company of foreign soldiery in her midst. At least that was the view of the matter taken by old-timers. The race prejudice which later issued in the Know Nothing movement, at once flamed up. On the other hand, these guardsmen had all declared their intention of becoming American citizens, and were entitled to bear arms. The guards were attached to Col. Smith’s regiment. On Sept. 12, 1837, the date of the fall field-day and the first assembly of the regiment since the organization of the Montgomerys, the other nine companies took post on the regimental line,—the Montgomerys arriving last of all. No sooner had the latter swung into position than the enlisted men of the City Guards, breaking away from their officers, marched off the Common.The enlisted men of the Fusiliers, the Blues, the Mechanics, the Washingtons and the Lafayettes followed this example of insubordination and broke ranks. It was sheer mutiny—mutiny with which many of the public sympathized, but mutiny nevertheless.
The Gray Uniform—The City Guards at Baltimore, 1844
Courts martial resulted, followed by prolonged public discussion. Presently it became evident that the Boston sense of fairness and right was strong enough even to meet this test; and on Feb. 23, 1838, the offending companies were punished by disbandment. Col. Smith went out of office at this time. The Montgomery Guards were themselves disbanded April 6, 1838. As a consequence the Regiment was reduced to a battalion and placed under the command of Maj. Charles C. Paine. The Tigers, the New England Guards, and the Rifle Rangers alone survived the disbandment.
June 1, 1839, found the organization a regiment once more, made up of the following companies: Tigers, New England Guards, Pulaski Guards, who now transferred from the 3d Reg., 3d Bri. (and who seem to have been temporarily called Mechanic Greys in 1849), Columbian Greys, Hancock Light Infantry, Rifle Rangers, Highland Guards and Suffolk Light Guard. As the disbandment had been intended for punitive purposes merely, encouragement was held out for the companies to reorganize. The device of reorganizing and “continuing the record” was not then thought of. Had it been, it would doubtless have been ordered; four companies took advantage of the opportunity. The Columbian Greys were merely the old City Guards under a new name; in 1844 they appeared on the records as the City Greys, and by 1851 were known once more as City Guards. Similarly the Hancock Light Infantry continued the Fusiliers, the ancient corps being savedby the loyalty of two former captains. Noah Lincoln, Jr., a prominent Boston shipwright, was in command of the company when disbanded in 1838. On a May date in 1839 the Hancock Light Infantry elected the same Capt. Lincoln to be their commander; but he did not deem it best to accept. On May 17, 1839, the company proceeded to elect Louis Dennis, a former Captain of Fusiliers who had risen to field rank; and Maj. Dennis proved his loyalty to the old corps by accepting a commission as Captain. Maj. Dennis was a builder in civil life, and felt that the present emergency called for constructive work along military lines; Capt. Lincoln thereupon agreed to become 1st Lieutenant of the company. After four or five years we cease to find reference to the Hancock Light Infantry—the records again deal with the Fusiliers. The Mechanic Rifles similarly reorganized in 1843, and the Washington Light Infantry a few years subsequently. Col. Charles R. Lowell, formerly Captain of the Rifle Rangers, commanded the reorganized regiment from June 1, 1839, until March 20, 1840.
On April 24, 1840, in connection with the general state-wide reorganization of the militia and the discontinuance of the train-band, the Light Infantry Regiment, 3d Brigade, received a number—it became the 1st Lt. Inf., 1st Brigade. The following colonels commanded: George W. Phillips, Aug. 27, 1840—May 18, 1841; Charles A. Macomber (formerly captain of the disbanded City Guards), June 15, 1841—Aug. 24, 1841; George T. Bigelow, formerly captain of the New England Guards, Sept. 11, 1841—Jan. 23, 1844; William H. Spooner, April 15, 1844—Jan. 19, 1847, the same Col. Spooner who had commanded the train-band regiment, the 1st of the 1st Brigade, to which the Roxbury Artillery was temporarily attached in 1832; Benjamin F. Edmands, March 15, 1847—July 11, 1848 (then elected Brig. Gen.);Col. Samuel Andrews, a former captain of the Tigers, July 28, 1848—May 13, 1850, when he became Brig. Gen.
When the New York 7th visited Boston in June, 1843, they were guests of the Fusiliers (yet called Hancock Light Infantry). After church services on Sunday, June 18, the visitors were shown around to the chief points of interest. How fashions do change! The principal shrine to which pilgrimage was made was—Mt. Auburn Cemetery.
Veterans of the Mexican War organized a company in the 1st Regiment on June 18, 1849, to which they gave the title, National Guards; and were the recognized representatives of the 1st Mass. Mexican War Regiment. Ben Perley Poore, a prominent newspaper correspondent, was elected Captain. As it became difficult to secure a sufficient number of Mexican veterans in Boston, admission was granted to all militia veterans, after a few years. Capt. Poore presently removed from Boston for business reasons, and made his residence in Newburyport. There he became famous as Major of an independent battalion of infantry; and altho absent from his Boston comrades, continued to retain a warm place in their hearts. In Nov., 1856, he had made an election bet with Col. J. J. Burbank, proprietor of the Tremont House, Boston, to the effect that Millard Fillmore would get the Massachusetts electoral vote for President; and lost. So on Saturday, Nov. 8, he paid the forfeit—by wheeling a barrel of apples, on a wheelbarrow, all the way, thirty-six miles, from Newburyport to Boston. Maj. Poore’s popularity caused a wide-spread interest to develop in this feat; especially in Boston were the streets thronged with friendly spectators. When the Fusiliers learned of the plan, they determined to have a part in it; so the doughty Major, himself in citizen’s dress, was met in Charlestown by a company of thirty-four red-coated soldiers, and solemnlyescorted across the bridge into Boston. Then, as a slight recompense for all the fun which had been provided, when the procession arrived at the Tremont House, the apples were sold at $1.00 apiece, for the benefit of the man who had transported them. Maj. Poore’s portrait, as well as two pictures of the event, are today in the A. & H. Art. Company museum.
When on April 25, 1842, the companies received distinguishing letters, the Tigers became Co. A, the New England Guards B, the Pulaski Guards C, the Highland Guards D, the City Guards E, the Fusiliers F, the Suffolk Lt. Gds. G, the Washington Phalanx H, the Rifle Rangers I, and a company of rifles K.
Charles L. Holbrook became Colonel on Aug. 31, 1850, and continued in command until Aug. 15, 1854; William Schouler, destined to be the great Civil War Adjutant General of Massachusetts, was Lieutenant Colonel. To Col. Holbrook fell the painful duty of marshalling his regiment against the mob on June 2, 1854, at the time of the Burns riot. In that year the organization consisted of eight companies. To him also fell the more congenial privilege, in Oct., 1862, of leading his command, the same regiment but then known as the 43d Mass. Vols., during its campaign in North Carolina. Col. Holbrook was, in civil life, a bookkeeper, first in the Suffolk National Bank, and subsequently in the Custom House; as a soldier he jumped from the Adjutant’s office to the Colonelcy.
Owing to the formation of new companies it became desirable to organize an additional battalion of infantry in 1853, to which the number 3d was given. This included Capt. Poore’s National Guards as Co. A, the Union Guards of East Boston, organized in 1852, as Co. B, and the SarsfieldGuards as Co. C, all under command of Maj. Robert I. Burbank.
Col. Thomas E. Chickering commanded the 1st Regiment from Oct. 25, 1854, until Jan. 29, 1856; and during his administration the name of the organization was changed from Light Infantry to “Infantry.” Col. Chickering commanded the 41st Mass. Inf., which became the 3d Cavalry, 1862-1865, and served in the department of the Gulf, transferring to Gen. P. H. Sheridan in Virginia during 1864. In 1855 the 3d Battalion of Infantry disbanded, the National and Union Guards going into the 2d Regiment as 9th and 6th Cos. respectively, while the Sarsfield Guards passed out of existence. The transfer of two strong companies to the 2d was a sign that the latter regiment was increasing while the 1st decreased. Six years later the 2d was to receive the much-desired number which had thitherto belonged to the “1st.” Maj. Joseph Bradley had become commander of the 3d Battalion at the time of its disbanding.
Col. Robert I. Burbank, formerly of the 3d Battalion, was the last commander of the old 1st Regiment, serving from March 25, 1856, until March 2, 1859. The regiment had several strong companies and might have been the leading military body in Boston; but it suffered from an excess of company loyalty and an utter absence of regimental spirit. Moreover there was a tendency to elect men of political prominence to the chief command, with slight regard for their military talents. Colonels were changed too frequently. The 2d Regiment under Cols. Bullock and Cowdin presented a striking contrast to the 1st in these particulars. The military authorities, since they recognized the inevitable tendency of the times, disbanded the 1st Regiment, and transferred four of the seven companies to the 2d, on March 1, 1859. The companies to enter the 2d Regiment were: C,the Pulaski Guards; D, the Washington Light Guard; F, the Fusiliers; and H, the Mechanic Rifles; these became the 4th, 2d, 3d, and 5th Companies in Col. Cowdin’s regiment. The three companies remaining of the old 1st—the Tigers, the New England Guards, and the City Guards—were reorganized as the 2d Battalion of Infantry, under command of Maj. Charles O. Rogers, former captain of the Tigers. The latter command were highly prosperous at this time; in 1858 we find them giving the first grand ball ever held in the Music Hall, and a year later enlarging the scope of their social activities by moving the function into the Boston Theater, the first such event ever held in that celebrated amusement center.
Sentiment assumed striking forms in the military life of Boston during the years preceding the Civil War. Two visiting military bodies, the New York 7th in 1857 and the Ellsworth Zouaves from Chicago in July, 1860, presented such examples of military efficiency that a desire grew up—was encouraged by the Adjutant General—for the formation of a “crack” regiment in Boston. At the same time, the designation, “4th Battalion,” came to be coveted and sought after. The reason for the latter sentiment is obscure; there never had been a 4th Battalion in Boston, never any of prominence in Massachusetts. But the old sub-legion of Lt. Infantry in the 3d Brigade, standing as it did beside three infantry sub-legions, and brilliantly outclassing them, had been a “4th battalion” of which all Boston was proud. From 1859 on, many organizations were attempting to secure the designation, “4th Battalion.”
The 2d Battalion, organized March 1, 1859, under Maj. Rogers, included three strong companies, and might have been the nucleus of the desired “crack” organization; however the units did not cohere, and the battalion speedily flewto pieces. Maj. Harrison Ritchie of the New England Gds. became commander July 21, 1860.
Gen. Samuel H. Leonard had removed from Worcester to Boston for business reasons, and had thereby lost his brigade in the former county. Becoming associated with Boston military men who were ambitious for a new and highly efficient regiment, he placed himself at the head of the movement. Ex-Gen. Leonard presently succeeded Capt. Clark B. Baldwin in command of the Boston Artillery, and proceeded to transfer that company from Col. Cowdin’s 2d Regiment to a new battalion. The City Guards had disbanded Dec. 26, 1859, and most of the members went into the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company; now former members of the City Guards were reenlisted and consolidated with the Boston Artillery. Indeed these City Guardsmen were the instigators of the movement. Capt. Augustine Harlow (a printer in civil life), formerly in command of the National Guards, the 9th Company of the 2d Reg., joined in the movement and organized a new company. On Dec. 15, 1860, Capt. Leonard’s as Co. A, Capt. Harlow’s as Co. D, and two new companies designated B and C were associated as the 4th Battalion. At length the much desired numeral was in use,—and by men of large military ability and soaring ambition. Since “rifles” took precedence over other branches, the new battalion became “Rifles”; and wore gray Zouave or chasseur uniforms. We have seen elsewhere how this movement became deflected by the call for volunteers, and ultimately issued in the splendid 13th Mass. Inf. If the 4th Battalion of Rifles did not become a “crack” regiment—it achieved a nobler destiny.
On March 11, 1861, the New England Guards became independent of Maj. Ritchie’s 2d Battalion; and expanded their organization into a two-company battalion, for whichthey claimed the coveted numeral, becoming the 4th Battalion of Infantry; Capt. Thomas G. Stevenson of the New Englanders became Major, and was in fact the leader of the movement. The ensuing month brought war and put an end to the militia dreams. On April 25 Maj. Stevenson’s battalion entered upon a one-month tour of volunteer garrison duty at Ft. Independence, the men serving without pay. It was at this time that they achieved the distinction of “bringing out” the most famous band-leader of the generation, Patrick S. Gilmore. Gilmore’s music and the fine marching of the New England Guards battalion immediately brought Maj. Stevenson’s command a high degree of popularity.
More three-year regiments were needed in the autumn of 1861, and members of the New England Guards battalion decided to enlist. Upon further thought it seemed wiser to use their proved skill in military matters in a higher capacity—they would organize a new regiment of recruits, and themselves go as officers. With the approval of the War Department, accordingly, the 24th Mass. Reg. came into existence, having Thomas G. Stevenson as Colonel and Gilmore as band-leader. No prophet then foresaw the future; but a bronze bas-relief in the State House (erected in 1905) today reminds us of the record of heroic service in North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida; the transfer to Virginia May 1, 1864, and participation with the Army of the James in the operations around Petersburg and Richmond. Their commander, now Gen. Stevenson, was killed in battle at Spotsylvania. Gilmore continued with his regiment as long as the Government permitted regimental bands—during the entire first year of the service.
Members of the New England Guards who were unable, for business or family reasons, to go for three years, werequick to respond, in the autumn of 1862, to the call for nine-months men. Part of the 4th Battalion had organized and officered the 24th Regiment (there was already a 4th Reg.)—clinging to the coveted numeral others now raised the 44th Reg. and followed their comrades—to the coast of North Carolina. So very few New England Guardsmen were left at home in Boston that the battalion passed out of existence—died of patriotism.
Maj. Ralph W. Newton, former captain of the Tigers, succeeded Maj. Ritchie in command of the 2d Battalion on Apr. 17, 1861, and continued in office until May 22, 1862. Nothing remained of the old 1st Reg., or of the 2d Bat., except the Tiger company. In order to retain the battalion organization, the Tigers sub-divided into three companies. From this point on it will be literally correct to designate the battalion organization, the sole surviving remnant of the old 1st, as the Tigers.
On April 29, twelve days after assuming command, Maj. Newton moved his Tiger battalion to Fort Warren, and remained there a full month rendering unpaid volunteer service. Owing to the extreme shortage of trained soldiers, the Government was glad to have the services of the battalion at Boston’s most important fort. Old Andrew Fletcher has claimed that the song-writer of a nation is more influential even than the law-maker. So far as this is true, the 2d Company, the Tigers, have exerted a huge national influence. For while at Warren, it fell to the lot of their glee-club to originate one of America’s greatest war-songs, one which until “Marching thru Georgia” was composed, stood supreme, the song, “John Brown’s Body.” Both words and tune trace back to the 2d Company. The tune is an adaptation of a southern revival hymn familiar before the war; but is so complete a revision as to be practicallyan original composition. The words were written as a joke on Private John Brown of the Tigers, who always seemed a shining mark for the wit of his comrades, and whose name of course suggested the hero of Osawatomie and Harper’s Ferry. Fletcher Webster’s regiment, the 12th, was in process of recruiting at Fort Warren that month. This song, at first intended humorously, was taken up in serious earnest by Webster’s men, was sung a little later by them as they marched to Bull Run; and within a year hundreds of thousands in blue were firing their enthusiasm for battle with the great refrain, “His soul is marching on.”
Ex-Col. Charles L. Holbrook proved his loyalty to his old command by accepting the lower office of Major on June 23, 1862. This responsibility he did not lay down until Oct. 13, 1862, when he led the 43d Reg. to war.
To the Tigers, as to others of Boston’s best citizens, the call for nine-months men came as a personal summons to service. Maj. Holbrook’s 2d Battalion at once began enlisting recruits, until it had expanded to a complete ten-company regiment. Practically all the officers were chosen from the Tiger battalion; and the new regiment, the 43d, was known as the “Tiger Regiment.” The ancient title, “Boston Light Infantry,” had remained attached to Co. A of the 2d Battalion;—now the “Lt. Inf.” Co. transferred itself bodily to the new regiment, and became Co. A of the 43d. Company commanders were: A, Henry J. Hallgreen; B, Edward G. Quincy; C, William B. Fowle, Jr.; D, Thomas G. Whytal (Capt. Whytal later became a Lt. Col. of U. S. Vols.); E, Henry Doane (of Orleans); F, Charles W. Soule; G, Everett Lane (of Abington, who was elected Major Oct. 20, 1862); H, George B. Hanover (of Chelsea); I, George O. Tyler (of Cambridge); K, J. Emery Round. Maj. Holbrook, as we have already seen, became colonel. John C.Whiton, who later was Colonel of the 58th Mass., was Lt. Col., and Everett Lane, Major. Co. D was from Dedham, E from Orleans, G from Abington, H from Chelsea and I from Cambridge. The other companies were recruited at large—that is, from Boston. The regiment was mustered in Sept. 20, 1862.
Co. H of the 43d had an origin prophetic of the regimental consolidation which was to give us the present Coast Artillery. Springing as it did from the membership, and commanded as it was by the 1st Lieutenant of the Chelsea Rifles, and they in turn being the “depot” or reserve company of the Chelsea Volunteers (the 5th Co. in the three-year 1st Regiment), Co. H was in direct relationship with both of these commands. After the war, veterans of all three companies joined forces, transformed the Rifles into the “Chelsea Veterans,” and thus created our present 5th Company, M. C. A. For three years it was actually made up exclusively of veterans.
Tiger veterans and friends joined in giving the 43d a notable “send-off.” Once more the motto was “Death or an honorable life.” The historic banquet of Oct. 18, 1798, was repeated on Nov. 5, 1862, and the famous toast was again drunk, “The United States of America; as they have drawn the sword of justice with reason, may they never sheathe it with disgrace.” Hon. R. C. Winthrop, standing on Boston Common, presented the regiment a handsome stand of colors, a gift from the Boston Light Infantry.
A few weeks later the 43d found themselves under Gen. John T. Foster in North Carolina, far indeed from Boston and their friends, but side by side with the 3d and 44th Regs., which also enter into our history. The old Tiger spirit had accompanied them. In Dec, 1862, came their great march thru the swamps and sand barrens, when they were face toface with the enemy during eleven continuous days. They were able to claim as their list of battles, Kinston, Whitehall and Goldsboro.
The loss of the North Carolina coast was a great blow to the Confederacy, opening as it did the way for Sherman’s march northward. Foster’s army was really an outpost of the greater force threatening Richmond.
In July, 1863, their service was completed and they were homeward bound once more. Travelling by boat to Baltimore, stopping for a visit at Fort Monroe, thence by train to New York, and having a square meal en route at Philadelphia, by boat to New Haven and train to Boston, they were given a hearty welcome home at old Boylston Hall, the Tiger armory, on July 21. The Boston Light Infantry at once became the 24th Unattached Company, M. V. M.
A few months of quiescence succeeded the Tigers’ nine months of duty in the 43d. Not until Aug., 1864, is there record of further activity. The war was drawing to a close, the nine-months regiments had been mustered out and the three-year commands were returning. Once more the ambition to have a “crack” regiment was stirring in Boston. Veteran and exempt members of the Tigers had formed the “Boston Lt. Inf. Assn.,” Nov. 1, 1862, during the absence of the active company. On this August date in 1864 the Light Infantry reorganized themselves as the “7th Infantry.” Maj. Charles O. Rogers, first commander of the 2d Battalion, was offered the colonelcy but declined; Daniel G. Handy was then elected, and received his commission on Nov. 6, 1865. (Col. Handy had been Maj. of the 12th Mass. in 1861 and 1862—indeed had been with the recruits in Ft. Warren when “John Brown’s Body” originated.) A vigorous attempt was made to form new companies and maintain the 7th at regimental standard.
The 7th Mass. Inf., a Taunton command, had made a noble name for itself during three years of hard service; and had been mustered out just before the Tiger 7th came into existence. The traditions connected with the number were certain to prove stimulating. But the choice of a number had further significance; it was a deliberate attempt to reproduce the New York 7th. Gilmore became band-leader, and it was hoped that his famous musicians would lend brilliancy to the new regiment. It was in his capacity as leader of the 7th Regiment band that Gilmore arranged and conducted his first “Peace Jubilee Festival” in 1869, with ten thousand singers and eight hundred instrumentalists in a “coliseum” seating fifty thousand, and not exceeded in size even by Billy Sunday’s tabernacle of 1916. Music by wholesale, this, and very different from the original classical “Peace Jubilee” in King’s Chapel, Feb. 22, 1815, from which Gilmore obtained the suggestion. New England liked it; and derived benefit from the popularization of good music. And the 7th received no little advertising.
Nine new companies came into existence within two years, mostly by the process of subdividing older commands, while the Tigers continued their organization as Co. A. Charles F. Harrington, former Captain of the Tigers, became colonel in 1869. Distinguished soldiers were willing to serve as company commanders in the 7th. B had for a Captain, Walter Scott Sampson, who had led the 7th Co. of Col. Cowdin’s regiment, the Washington Light Guard, into the 6th, and had commanded it (Co. K of the 6th) during its famous march thru Baltimore. Capt. Sampson had meanwhile been in command of a company in the 22d Mass. He was, in civil life, a successful Boston builder. E was commanded by no less a personage than Henry J. Hallgreen, war Captain of A or the Tiger Company in the 43d. Ahad for its Captain, David W. Wardrop, war Colonel of the 3d Reg. The entire regiment was quartered in a single armory, at Pine and Washington Sts. Co. B had developed by fission from Co. A in 1864 and was first called the Handy Guard or 32d Unattached Co. In 1869 so many veterans of the old Washington Light Guard joined Co. B that the Handy Guard became known as the Washington Light Guard. In 1873 the company transferred its headquarters from Boston to Cambridge, and, as part of the process, the name was again changed, becoming the Massachusetts Guards. Claim has been made that Co. B perpetuates the old original Washington Light Guard, and it also claims to be the Tigers, as truly as the 2d Company;—it exists today as the 6th Company, Mass. C. A. Gen. W. E. Lombard holds its older record books. The 7th Company, Mass. C. A., the Pierce Light Guard, came into existence as Co. E of the 7th; Henry L. Pierce after whom it was named donated $1,000 to the company treasury.
Young men, however, are more successful than veterans in maintaining the interest of an active regiment; and apathy concerningmilitarymatters characterized the public thinking during the years immediately following the war. By 1870 the 7th had only four live companies remaining; on July 20 of that year the regiment was reduced to a battalion. The Tigers now recovered their old regimental number—they became the “1st” Battalion, and Maj. Douglass Frazer commanded. The 1st Battalion was on duty in 1872 at the great Boston fire, and protected the most important section of all, the financial district along State Street.
Austin C. Wellington, formerly 1st Lieutenant in the 38th Mass., became captain of the Tiger Co. A in 1870, and with his advent began the era of prosperity and efficiency for which the Tigers had long been wishing. In 1873 Wellingtonbecame Major of the battalion, and on March 25, 1874, came a change in designation, bringing, after failure to get back their war number, 2d, the long-coveted numeral, “4th.” As an indication of how this ambition had persisted from ante-bellum days, we find the organization, in 1875, unofficially describing itself as the 4th Battalion “of Rifles.” In 1872 the “Maverick Rifles” had been organized as Co. D of this battalion; today they are the 11th Co., Mass. C. A.
It was the privilege of the Tigers, in 1875, to receive and entertain the Old Guard of New York City and the Washington Lt. Infantry of Charleston, South Carolina, the latter being the first southern military body to visit the north after the war. The following year the Tigers and Old Guard returned this courtesy, visiting Charleston and assisting in the celebration of the centennial of the battle of Fort Moultrie on June 28.
It was at once appreciated that Boston had a “crack” battalion and Maj. Wellington’s command was in great demand for parades and reviews. Its drill became a standard for other infantry bodies, while its striking quasi-Zouave uniform made such an impression upon the authorities that the costume was, in 1884, adopted as the State uniform. Such was the 4th Battalion which, on Dec. 3, 1878, by a process of consolidation, became part of the 1st Regiment.
During the train-band days, the troops of Plymouth and Bristol counties, with the Cape and Islands, constituted the 5th Division, while Boston militia made up the 1st. When the volunteer militia was set apart as the principal defence of the state, both sections found themselves in the same division. Now the Cape was the 2d Brigade while Boston was the 1st. By the consolidation of 1878 the two were finally brought together into the same regiment, so that the Coast Artillery not only perpetuates the old Legionary Brigade, but also the old 2d Brigade, M. V. M., and the older 5th Division.
There were four regiments of infantry in the 1st Brigade, 5th Division, of the train-band. The Halifax Light Infantry, organized in 1792, attached to the 1st of these, was the first company in the entire district to rise from the condition of militia to that of volunteers; and presently became the senior member of the Light Infantry Regiment. During its long career from 1792 until 1876, the Halifax Light Infantry was always one of the foremost military bodies in Plymouth County, and indeed in the entire state. Capt. Asa Thompson, who commanded in 1814, and who led his men into the 1st Division territory for the purpose of assisting to build and garrison Boston forts, was a giant (a “Saul” in the Scriptural language of the day), six feet, seven inches in stature. The towering head-dress of the times brought his height up to eight feet. As he led his men across South Boston bridge on the way to the forts and duty, every onestopped to look and admire,—and wonder whether the bridge could stand up beneath the load. Alas! Captain Thompson presently fell into disgrace, and was dismissed by court-martial.
Oct. 21, 1818, patriotic citizens of Plymouth met and organized a light infantry company, to which they gave the name, Standish Guards, in compliment to the great “Captain of Plymouth.” Coomer Weston was elected Captain, James H. Holmes, Lieutenant, and William Randall, Ensign. Under the drill regulations of the period, the captain marched at the head of the column, the lieutenant at the rear, and the ensign in the center, carrying the flag. The most notable early parade of the Guards occurred on Dec. 22, 1820, when they escorted the Pilgrim Society, and Daniel Webster as orator of the day, in commemoration of the bi-centenary of the Fathers’ landing. To be sure, the date is now known to be one day too late; but no error of detail could prevent the occasion from being one long worth remembering.
As regards personnel, the Cape companies did not differ from those in Boston; prosperous merchants and tradesmen and mechanics made up the bulk of their membership; moreover a certain percentage of farmers were enrolled. There was less opportunity for social interchange and less of the stimulus arising from competition, owing to the relative smallness of the cities and towns. But in general the constituent organizations of the 3d Regiment passed thru the same experiences as did their sister companies to the northward. It will therefore not be necessary to repeat the details of events as outlined in previous chapters; we need only speak of those matters which were distinctive of the Cape.
By 1834 the train-band was in a very bad way indeed, and was rapidly approaching the moment of its extinction.Ambitious companies were transferring to the light infantry, in order to distinguish themselves from their older and inefficient companions. Marshfield and Scituate had rifle companies and Scituate and Pembroke light infantry companies in connection with the 2d train-band Regiment; Abington had rifles, grenadiers and light infantry, and West Bridgewater light infantry in the 3d Regiment; and Middleboro had grenadiers in the 4th Regiment. In September of that year an order was issued separating the volunteer companies from the train-band regiments, and establishing them as a “Regiment of Light Infantry, 1st Brigade, 5th Division.” The nine companies mentioned, with the Halifax Lt. Inf. and the Standish Guards, constituted this new regiment. The organization is interesting because it ultimately became the 3d Regiment, and finally was consolidated in the Coast Artillery. The Samoset Rifles or Guards were organized in 1835 and were presently added to the regiment.
On April 24, 1840, the command became the 3d Regiment of Light Infantry, 2d Brigade, 1st Division. When on April 25, 1842, the companies received distinguishing letters, the following units existed with vitality sufficient to survive the transition: A, Halifax Light Infantry; B, Plymouth, Standish Guards; C, Hanson Rifles (a new company); D, Abington Light Infantry; E, Middleboro Grenadiers; F, Wareham Grenadiers (a new company); and G, Abington Rifles. At that date the New Bedford and Fall River companies were in the 2d Battalion of Light Infantry, as was also the company of Taunton Rifles. Taunton subsequently fell within the district of the 4th Regiment, a command which was by its location mainly an overflow from the 3d, and which a quarter century later merged in the 3d.
Col. Gideon W. Young of Scituate, who had commanded the 2d Regiment in the train-band brigade, was chosen firstcommander of the Light Infantry regiment. Col. John Cushing, Jr., of Abington, succeeded Col. Young and served from May 20, 1837, until May 13, 1839. Col. Nahum Reynolds of North Bridgewater came next, receiving his commission Aug. 31, 1839. Col. Henry Dunham of Abington followed on March 25, 1841, being first to receive commission as Colonel of the “3d” Regiment. Presently Col. Dunham was chosen Brigadier General. During the administration of Col. Albert Whitmarsh of Abington, Aug. 1, 1842, to May 1, 1844, new companies were organized in Middleboro and Abington, while the Wareham Grenadiers disappeared from the records. The original New Bedford City Guards were organized in 1842, with Capt. George A. Bourne in command; and in 1846 they became Co. K of the 3d Regiment. During their first year, the Guards paid a visit to the Rifle Rangers of Boston. The occasion inspired someone to compose the “Whaleman’s Quickstep.” While we are not today interested in this as music, still it finds place in all our bibliographies because, on the front cover, it bears a picture of the two companies mustered on Boston Common. The Rifle Rangers stand in line as the New Bedford Guards march past, straight in the direction of the large refreshment tent which bounds the vista. New Bedford’s company paraded in four platoons of eight files—a fact indicative of a large membership. The City Guards were disbanded in 1849.
Eliab Ward of Middleboro was Colonel from July 10, 1844, until April 10, 1850, an unusually long term. Elnathan Wilbur of Middleboro was Colonel from May 4, 1850, till Jan. 28, 1853; Col. Stephen Thomas of Middleboro succeeded Col. Wilbur and remained in office from March 12, 1853, until Apr. 8, 1858. While companies were disbanded in Plymouth county, the loss was made good bythe formation of new units in Bristol county. On June 29, 1850, the Assonet Light Infantry of Freetown came into existence—a company destined to go to war eleven years later with only twenty-one enlisted men, equipped with ancient bullets which had been moulded for use in suppressing Shays’ rebellion. Yet one of their members was to have the distinction of bringing in, at Fort Monroe, the first three escaped slaves or “contrabands.” July 22, 1852, was the birthday of the new City Guards of New Bedford, commanded by the same Capt. Bourne who led the former company. This organization is today the 4th Company, Mass. C. A. On Feb. 26, 1855, the regiment was redesignated the “3d Regiment of Infantry.”
David W. Wardrop of New Bedford, June 26, 1858, John H. Jennings of New Bedford, May 10, 1862, until Aug. 25, 1862, and Silas P. Richmond of Freetown, Oct. 7, 1862, were the war Colonels of the 3d. Col. Wardrop was a Philadelphian by birth, but in young manhood removed to New Bedford. For a time he was a cadet at West Point. During a temporary residence in Boston he had been a member of the Fusiliers. In his home city he served in the City Guards, and was connected with the whaling industries of the port. Following the three-months’ service with the 3d, he became Colonel of the 99th New York Volunteers; and after the war he was inspector of customs at Boston. Col. Richmond had been a charter member of the Assonet Lt. Inf., and subsequently its Captain. Giving up his farm in 1857, he spent a year with John Brown in Kansas repelling “border ruffians.” During the three-months’ tour of duty, as we shall see, he was captain on the brigade staff; under Col. Jennings he was Lieutenant Colonel. At the conclusion of his nine-months’ service, he became Colonel of the 58th Mass. and Assistant Provost Marshal Generalof the Department of the South. After the war he returned to Freetown, and continued active in business and political spheres.
Col. Wardrop’s regiment received orders to mobilize at Boston on the evening of Monday, Apr. 15, 1861. As the headquarters of the 3d were more remote from Boston than those of any other regiment called out, a severe handicap rested upon the command. Its members were mostly busy farmers or mechanics. Furthermore a cold, spring northeaster was raging and roads were almost impassable because of mud. Yet the energy of the colonel and his staff officers and the loyalty of the men overcame these difficulties, and enabled the regiment to report in Boston on the 16th—as early as any of those residing nearer. Credit must be given to Pres. Horace Scott of the Fairhaven Railroad for free use of a special train on the night of April 15, by which alone the prompt circulation of the order became possible; but the real praise belongs to the officers and men of the companies, whose patriotism produced the magnificent response. The six companies of the regiment, together with a Cambridge company which was attached, embarked on the steamer, “S. R. Spalding,” April 17, and lay in the harbor that night awaiting supplies. When on the following morning final drafts of men had arrived, bringing the total up to more than five hundred, the steamer sailed under sealed orders; and found, when nine miles out, that her destination was Fort Monroe. As communication with Washington was temporarily interrupted, these orders emanated from Gov. Andrew and are a mark of his patriotic sagacity; Gen. John E. Wool, in command of Fort Monroe, had sent a messenger by water requesting help. The officers of the regiment were, besides Col. Wardrop; Lieutenant Colonel Charles Raymond, a former captain of the Standish Guards;Major John H. Jennings of New Bedford; Captains, Co. A, Joseph S. Harlow, who, like his predecessor of 1814, was well over six feet in height; B, Charles C. Doten of Plymouth (afterwards Captain of Co. G, in the 38th Mass., and today Secretary of the Pilgrim Society); C, the Cambridge company, Capt. James P. Richardson; G, John W. Marble of Assonet; H, Lucien L. Perkins of Plympton; K, William S. McFarlin of South Carver (subsequently Captain of Co. C, 18th Mass. Vol. Inf.); and L, Timothy Ingraham of New Bedford. Four new companies were later added to the regiment; and after the expiration of the three-months’ service, these became the nucleus of the 29th Regiment. Companies from the 4th Regiment also joined the 29th. As the 4th Regiment was included in the expedition to Fort Monroe, going by boat from New York, and thus both units of the 2d Brigade, 1st Division, M. V. M., were involved, Gen. Ebenezer W. Peirce, of Freetown, went as brigade commander; and on his staff was Capt. Silas P. Richmond. The 3d Regiment had worn gray uniforms since 1845, and after the war were to continue the color until 1874. So we may picture them as clad in that dressy yet serviceable garb.
Fort Monroe, often called “Fortress” Monroe to indicate that it consists of a fort within a fort, is known as the “Gibraltar of America.” Certainly it is a tribute to the political power of the dominant “House of Virginia” in the early days of our Republic, that the largest and strongest fortification of all should be erected for the defence of Norfolk and the James river. Incidentally it affords some protection to Washington and Baltimore; but that was not a controlling consideration in 1819, when construction began, nor in 1830, when the work was completed. Monroe is a five-bastioned fort of masonry work, and accordingly mightbe roughly described as a huge pentagon. The walls surrounding it extend for the almost incredible distance of two miles, while the enclosed area is eighty acres in extent. Two picturesque features are the clumps of live oaks growing on the parade, which are not found anywhere farther north, and the sea-water moat in which tide-gates hold the water at a constant depth of six feet.
Such a fort is impregnable when adequately garrisoned—Monroe requires at least fifteen hundred men to render her secure. A Secretary of War with southern sympathies had stripped the fort of soldiers, until little more than a caretakers’ party remained. This tiny regular garrison was compelled to keep all its members under arms continually in order to man the guard-posts. Part of the moat had become an oyster-bed and was so filled up as to be fordable.
Sailing from Boston on the 18th, the men of the 3d experienced rough weather rounding Cape Cod. The last meal the soldiers had eaten before leaving Boston harbor did them no permanent good. Just as in a rambling conversation, so with landsmen on the ocean—one thing brings up another. On the historic 19th of April, while the 6th was fighting its way thru Baltimore and the N. Y. 7th was receiving an ovation along Broadway, the 3d and 4th were enjoying (?) life on the ocean wave. All things, however, have an end; and the 20th found both transports off Monroe, at the entrance of the Chesapeake bay. At first they were uncertain whether the fort remained in loyal hands or not; but the morning gun fired as a salute, and “old glory” ascending the staff, soon reassured them. No troops were ever more heartily welcomed than were the Massachusetts militiamen by the regulars of the garrison. First the 4th and then the 3d marched thru the sally-port, andbivouacked beneath the live oaks; America’s most important fort was manned by loyal troops.
After barely time to snatch a luncheon and reassure themselves that such a thing as solid ground existed, the 3d was ordered under arms. Commodore Paulding had just arrived from Washington in the S. S. “Pawnee,” with orders to secure soldiers, and proceed to Norfolk for the purpose of destroying the Gosport Navy Yard. Norfolk lay far within the newly established Confederate lines. Across Hampton Roads, up the Elizabeth river, past Sewell’s Point where the exposition of 1907 was to stand and where in 1861 the Confederates were erecting an earthwork, past Fort Norfolk, which was then held by Confederates, the “Pawnee” proceeded in cool disregard of threatened shot and shell. It was nineP. M.when the Navy Yard was reached, and here another peril became imminent. The tiny crew and garrison of the Yard were at their guns, not knowing whether the “Pawnee” were an attacking Confederate or a Union reinforcement. Presently, however, identity was cleared up, and the principal business of the night was allowed to proceed.
A Secretary of the Navy, a southern sympathizer, had accumulated ships and material at Gosport worth not less than $10,000,000, for the express purpose of allowing them to fall into Confederate hands. It was the duty of Commodore Paulding and Col. Wardrop to prevent such a disastrous consummation. Both officers felt that the Yard could be held against hostile attack; but their orders were explicit—to destroy and abandon. History has decided that the destruction might have been avoided. As, however, the leaders of the expedition had no choice, they endeavored to make the destruction complete. The “Merrimac” was set afire and sunk. Everything that would not burn was thrownoverboard. At 3A. M.Sunday, the men of the 3d, tired and smoke-begrimed, reembarked on the “Pawnee”; and towing the “Cumberland,” with the Navy Yard garrison on board, started down the Elizabeth river, leaving a raging hell of flames behind them. While the regiment had not been permitted to remain and hold Gosport as they desired, they had been the first northern troops to engage actively in military operations within hostile territory.
By the middle of May the four additional companies had arrived and joined the regiment. Gen. B. F. Butler, having completed his task of pacifying Baltimore, came to Monroe as Major General in command of the “Department of Virginia and North Carolina.” On May 24, Private Charles R. Haskins of Co. G (Assonet) had the honor of bringing in the first escaped negro slaves who reached the Union lines, Haskins being on guard at the time in Hampton. By one of the happy flights of practical genius for which he was distinguished, Gen. Butler decided that he could not return the run-aways because they were “contraband of war.” The north had been waiting in anxious suspense to know what would happen when southern slave-owners should demand the return of their property. Very much depended upon the decision of the question. Men certainly would refuse to enlist in the Union armies if they were thereby to become slave-drivers. Butler’s decision caused a sigh of relief thruout the loyal states. It must not be forgotten that this first long step toward ultimate emancipation was taken in connection with the activity of the 3d Regiment.
One can scarcely overestimate the importance of these early days at Monroe. The fort has always been the coast artillery headquarters of the United States. During the Civil War it was far more than this—it was the gateway of Virginia. Its possession enabled McClellan and Grantto operate against Richmond. Without it neither the Peninsular campaign nor the siege of Petersburg could have taken place. Nearby Hampton, fanned by the sea-breezes, became the sanitorium of the northern armies. Burnside’s expedition, which made possible Sherman’s march, depended upon Monroe as a base. When on July 16, five days after the 4th Regiment had departed, the men of the 3d embarked on the S. S. “Cambridge” to sail for Boston, they felt with reason that they had rendered priceless service to their country.
One company of the 4th Regiment, Co. G, which served three months at Fort Monroe, and subsequently for nine months of 1862-63 at New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Port Hudson, became, in 1866, Co. G of the 3d; and in 1878 was consolidated in the 1st. Co. G had been organized at Taunton as the “Light Guard” in 1855.
In the fall of 1862 a call came for nine-months troops. The companies of the 3d had maintained their organization, and altho constantly depleted to supply recruits for other regiments, were relatively well prepared for service. They now determined that the 3d should reenter the U. S. service. In order to distribute town quotas more justly, the Assonet Light Infantry was united with the Halifax Light Infantry as Co. A, under Capt. John W. Marble of Assonet; (Capt. Marble was subsequently to command the 22d Unattached Company during the one-hundred-days of 1864;) the Samoset Guards of Plympton and the Bay State Light Infantry of Carver were consolidated with the Standish Guards as Co. B, under Capt. Thomas B. Griffith of Carver. The New Bedford City Guards became Co. E, under Capt. John A. Hawes. New companies were organized: C and D in Fall River under Capts. Elihu Grant and Andrew D. Wright (Capt. Grant later became a minister); F and G in NewBedford under Capts. George H. Hurlburt and William S. Cobb; H in Rehoboth under Capt. Otis A. Baker, who had a notable war record. (As private in the 1st R. I., he had been wounded at Bull Run. Later he had served as 1st Sergeant and 2d Lieutenant in the 44th R. I.; subsequently he was to be Captain of the 18th Unattached Company,) I in Fairhaven under Capt. Barnabas Ewer, Jr., who as Major of the 58th Mass. was killed at Cold Harbor in 1864; K in Bridgewater under Capt. Samuel Bates. Co. D of Fall River continued its existence after the war, and was active until 1876. The regiment was commanded by Col. Richmond; the Lieutenant Colonel was James Barton of New Bedford, who had been 1st Lieutenant during the three-months’ service; the Major was John Morrissey of Plymouth, who had been “legislated out” of the captaincy of the Standish Guards by the recent consolidation. Maj. Morrissey became, after the war, Sergeant-at-Arms in the Boston State House.
The 3d were mustered into U. S. service for nine months on Sept. 23, 1862. As their numbers were too great for a single transport, two vessels received the regiment, the “Merrimac” and the “Mississippi.” Off Cape Cod the men experienced inconvenience similar to that of 1861; and many communed with the great deep. Thereafter the voyage was thru calm water, not even Cape Hatteras proving sufficient to stir up trouble. Landing was made at Beaufort, North Carolina, whence trains conveyed the regiment to Newbern. That town was originally settled by Swiss colonists; as, however, it bore small trace of Helvetian thriftiness and neatness in 1862, our men found nothing to admire. But the district was of much military importance as a source of supplies and channel of communication for Richmond and Lee’s army. The 3d, under Gen. Foster, was side by sidewith the 43d and 44th Regiments, both of which have place in Coast Artillery history. They participated in the “great march” thru Kinston, Whitehall and Goldsboro. June 11, 1863, the regiment embarked for home; and was mustered out June 26.
Veterans of the 4th Regiment residing in Taunton organized the Taunton City Guard on Nov. 4, 1865, thus giving that city a competitor to its older Light Guard. The company entered the 3d Regiment in 1866, and today exists as the 9th Company, Mass. C. A. For a few months there was an exciting rivalry between the two Taunton companies, as each claimed to be the rightful owner of certain military property in the city,—camp equipage and a fund of $800 coming down from war days. The property would be first concealed by one company and then captured by the other. The courts were appealed to; but finally the matter was compromised; they divided the money, and the companies became joint owners of the tentage and other equipment.
Orders were issued by the State authorities on Aug. 20, 1866, combining the 4th and 3d Regiments in a new 3d Regiment, and on Aug. 31, Col. Mason W. Burt of Taunton was elected commander. Col. Burt had been Captain and Major in the 22d Mass. Volunteers from 1861 to 1864. The new regiment consisted of companies in Halifax (A), Fall River (B), Scituate (C), New Bedford (E), Taunton (F) and (G), and Quincy (H). The Halifax Light Infantry, the New Bedford City Guards, B of Fall River, and, a little later, the revived D of Fall River under Capt. Sierra L. Braley, with a new Scituate company, represented the 3d Regiment; while the Taunton Light Guard and Hancock Light Guards of Quincy came from the 4th Regiment. The new Taunton company entered the 3d at this time; but the Standish Guards remained aloof, as the 87th UnattachedCompany, until 1868. At the latter date the Plymouth company came in as Co. M. Thomas J. Borden became Colonel June 23, 1868, and Bradford D. Davol followed on March 9, 1871, both being residents of Fall River. When on Aug. 2, 1876, the regiment was reduced to a battalion, the “3d Battalion of Infantry,” its only surviving companies were the New Bedford City Guards (E), the Taunton City Guards (F), the Taunton Light Guard (G), and the Standish Guards (now H). All others had been disbanded. Maj. Daniel A. Butler, former Captain of the Standish Guards, commanded the 3d Battalion. Meanwhile the Cunningham Rifles of North Bridgewater or Brockton had been organized in 1869, and named after the Adjutant General, James A. Cunningham. Originally Co. I of the 3d, this command was transferred to the 1st Battalion of Infantry, Lt. Col. Wales, in 1876; and so pioneered the way for the remainder of the “Cape” companies to follow two years later. This company exists today as the 10th Company, Mass. C. A.
One cause contributing to the disappearance of the 3d Regiment was the fact that it was called upon to perform two tours of duty for the maintenance of public order in Fall River, first on Aug. 5, 1870, continuing three days, and again Sept. 27, 1875, continuing seven days. Such service in connection with industrial disturbance is exceedingly painful to the feelings of the men. Coming as it did when class sensitiveness was acute, and when the old Civil War veterans were ready to retire permanently from active military service, it did much to break up the command. Happily such a situation can hardly recur today.
The 3d Regiment participated in musters with the 1st Brigade from 1866 to 1871, the final one being held at Lovell’s Plain, North Weymouth. In 1872 there was a regimentalencampment at their old Civil War mobilization ground, “Camp Joe Hooker,” Lakeville.
On Dec. 3, 1878, Major Butler’s four-company battalion was consolidated with the 1st and 4th Battalions as part of the 1st Regiment.