CHAPTER III.
“CITY GUARD” FROM 1860 TO 1870.
JANUARY 1, 1860, found the “City Guard” just located in their new armory, in an iron building, situated on the north side of California street, a few doors above Montgomery street, over Wells, Fargo & Co’s Express. The Union Club occupied the corner over the bank. Many of the “City Guard” members belonged to this club, and both headquarters were connected by a doorway. Here the corps remained until November 20, 1865—nearly six years.
The re-election of Doane, McKenzie, Freeman, and Little occurred on April 14th following, John Hill being raised to the dignity of brevet second lieutenant.
Following close upon this election of officers, the First Battalion was organized, which consisted of all three arms of the service, namely, infantry, artillery, and cavalry. This organization was completed on June 15, 1860, the companies comprising same being the “City Guard,” “California Guard,” “Black Hussars,” “Light Guard,” “Fusileers,” and “French Guard.” All of the members comprising these six companies participated in the election for field officers, which was by ballot, there being over two hundred votes cast. Captain Doane was duly elected lieutenant colonel, commanding the battalion, and First Lieutenant McKenzie was raised to the rank of major. The result of this election gives to the “City Guard” the honor of furnishing the only two field officers of an organization which afterwards became the nucleus for our present First Regiment; the “National Guard” and “California Rifles” being added later, in order to make the eight-company regiment.
In consequence of the above, another company election was necessarily held for officers to fill vacancies. John A. Clark was again made captain,viceDoane; Asa L. Loring, first lieutenant,viceMcKenzie; Little and Freeman retaining their former positions, while George J. Griffing was advanced to brevet second lieutenant,viceHill resigned.
We now come upon the eve of the War of the Rebellion. Fort Sumter had been fired upon, and opportunities became numerous for able generals, and brave men to show their mettle and loyalty to preserve our glorious Union. In California, although far removed from the seat of conflict, everyone took a lively interest in the progress of hostilities. This state furnished many thousands of volunteers for the strife, the proportion being very large for the then population; in fact, California furnished many soldiers who were accredited to other states, as history will plainly show. The “City Guard” furnished a long list of fighters, among whom were the following: J. M. McNulty, M. D., brigadier surgeon, California Volunteers; John Hill, lieutenant with Colonel Baker, California Volunteers; J. P. Hackett, captain Sixth Infantry, California Volunteers; Nat M. Ford quartermaster’s department; Asa L. Loring; Robert S. La Motte, captain Thirteenth New York, afterwards lieutenant-colonel United States Army; H. B. Mellon, now retired, major United States army; William Bryan, Seventh New York; George F. Watson, captain 180th New York Volunteers; W. C. Allen, captain 101st New York Volunteers; Joseph Hilton, captain Twelfth New York Volunteers; Joseph Henriques, captain Fourth New York Volunteers; William Barstow, assistant adjutant general, General Dix’s staff; E. G. Hilton, quartermaster’s department, and L. Parks, with California Hundred. There are others, but the writer is unable at the present time to name them. Many of these gentlemen rose to higher rank in the service during the progress of the war.
The vast majority of people on this coast elected to maintain these United States one and inseparable, still there were those who warmly supported the secession, and conditions threatened at times to become more serious in California than would have been agreeable to peace-loving people. This would be particularly the case when any news came of the defeat of the northern arms.
The provost marshal, who was on duty at all times, made many arrests of those who were too outspoken, and the militiawere constantly on the alert, although they were but occasionally under arms. Armories had to be guarded, however, and the “City Guard” did full well its share of duty.
Throughout the period covered by this chapter the members of the “City Guard” continued with their regular routine duties as required, with occasional battalion drills and military ceremonies, parades and escort duties, the latter being quite numerous. This company had no difficulty whatever in keeping its ranks full of enthusiastic members, who made the corps a truly crack organization.
The writer can give no better evidence or proof of the condition of the “City Guard” than that offered in the adjutant general’s report for the year 1861. In this report, speaking of the company, he says:
“This is one of the oldest and best drilled companies of the state, is well officered and equipped, and composed of men who take much pride in the military art—numbering eighty-eight men. Has had upon its roll this year one hundred and forty-three members; has furnished from its ranks during this year one brigadier general,[8]one surgeon, and one captain of volunteers in the United States service, and three general staff officers. Much praise is due the members of this company for the military enterprise at all times displayed, and authorities of the state can rely upon its efficiency for active service.”
“This is one of the oldest and best drilled companies of the state, is well officered and equipped, and composed of men who take much pride in the military art—numbering eighty-eight men. Has had upon its roll this year one hundred and forty-three members; has furnished from its ranks during this year one brigadier general,[8]one surgeon, and one captain of volunteers in the United States service, and three general staff officers. Much praise is due the members of this company for the military enterprise at all times displayed, and authorities of the state can rely upon its efficiency for active service.”
[8]Lieutenant Colonel Charles Doane promoted brigadier general, 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, C. S. M.
[8]Lieutenant Colonel Charles Doane promoted brigadier general, 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, C. S. M.
The “First Regiment of Infantry, California Militia,” was organized on May 28, 1861, with the previously named companies composing same. John S. Ellis was elected colonel, J. W. McKenzie as lieutenant colonel and Robert Pollock major. The companies taking the letters in accordance with the dates of their original organization, as follows: “California Guard, Company A,” “City Guard, Company B,” “National Guard, Company C,” “Black Hussars, Company D,” “California Fusileers, Company E,” “Light Guard, Company F,” “French Guard, Company G,” and “California Rifles, Company H.” Many changes have since taken place in the regimental organization, and now, July, 1894, of the original companies there remain but three, namely, “City Guard, Company B,” “National Guard, Company C,” and “Light Guard, Company F.”
At the annual election for officers of the company in 1861 the same ones were continued in office, with the exception that the position of brevet second lieutenant was left vacant,viceGriffing.
Up to June 28, 1861, the “City Guard” drilled with, and used for the purposes of the state, the same arms and accoutrements so kindly furnished them by the citizens in 1856; at this time, however, the state authorities issued the following to the company, all being of the same pattern as previously owned by the corps: sixty muskets, gun-slings, bayonets, and scabbards; sixty cartridge-boxes, belts and plates; sixty waist-belts and plates, with the same number of cap pouches; four sergeant’s swords and scabbards, belts and plates.
The several companies of the regiment wore different style uniforms, representing, as has been said, all colors of the rainbow. The board of officers determined upon adopting one for the entire regiment, one that would be serviceable in case they were called upon for active duty. They therefore addressed themselves to the citizens of San Francisco, who soon came forward with the requisite amount to purchase same, and along toward the middle of the year 1861 the regiment was finally fitted out with a gray regimental uniform, the cost of which was twelve dollars.
All the troops in the Second Brigade, Second Division, C. S. M., during the month of November, 1861, were required to take the oath of allegiance before Judge Blake, in substance as follows: “To support the constitution of the United States and of the state of California, solemnly agreeing to defend both against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.” The “City Guard” came forward with a larger membership than any of the other companies.
The company was well received by the best society in the city of San Francisco. This fact is abundantly evident from the many events that transpired during its early history. It will be impossible, however, to detail all the interesting social festivities of these days, but in order that the writer’s assertions may carry conviction with it, the following historical fact is recited: A military and civic subscription ball was given at Platt’s Hall, on the evening of Friday, December 27, 1861, complimentary to the officers of the Russian steam corvetteCalevala, by the citizens of San Francisco, as atoken of the public appreciation of the friendly spirit manifested by the Emperor of all the Russias toward our federal government. All arrangements for this ball were confided to the members of the “City Guard” by a committee of the most prominent people. Lieutenant Wm. C. Little was floor manager, assisted by four noncommissioned officers of the company. Captain Clark, chairman of the reception committee, was assisted by all the other members of the company, every one being in the full fancy uniform of the corps. The “press,” in describing the affair, spoke thus of the “City Guard”: “One of the most spirited and efficient of our local uniform militia companies, whose proverbial good taste was fully sustained in the admirable manner in which the ball was conducted.”
In May, 1862, Little was advanced to Second Lieutenant,viceFreeman, Fred W. Macondry, Jr., was made junior second lieutenant,viceLittle promoted. The result of the election for officers of the company with rank, from August 8th, following was: Captain, Wm. C. Little,viceClark, promoted lieutenant colonel First Regiment; Fred W. Macondry, Jr., first lieutenant,viceLoring; R. M. Noyes, second lieutenant,viceLittle promoted; John Hoyt as junior second lieutenant,viceMacondry promoted. This quartet of officers remained thus until September 4, 1865.
The first camp of the state militia was held in May, 1863, in pursuance to orders from general headquarters. This camp was named “Stanford” after the commander in chief, and the expense was borne by the state.
The legislature of California opened its heart to help the militia financially, on April 25, 1863, the first time on record. Appropriations were made for its maintenance, three hundred dollars per year for each company of infantry, besides requiring the counties to furnish twenty-five dollars per month for armory rents. It also provided for two encampments, the above being one of them, and for full-dress uniforms for the entire force. These, made of blue, were issued during same year. It also passed the clause to exempt militiamen from jury duty after serving faithfully for a period of seven years.
Company B, “City Guard,” First Regiment of Infantry, participated as a company in its first camp, a Second Brigade affair, from the 6th to the 16th of October, 1863. CampAllen, named after the commander of the Second Division, was held near San Antonio, Alameda county, the state defraying the expense.
The company received its first improved arms on February 20, 1865. These were the “rifle muskets” of 58 caliber, model 1861. Sixty of these, together with a full set of accoutrements, the same kind as before used, were issued to the Company, and those previously carried were returned to general headquarters during the following month. Twenty extra muskets came to the company during October following.
In April of the same year, when the news of the assassination of our martyred President, Abraham Lincoln, was received, San Francisco became wild with excitement; mobs quickly gathered, and endeavored to wreck the printing-offices of those who had advocated secession, and of those who had been so rabid in their utterances that they had really done the next thing but actually advocate the killing of the President. The feeling against these people can well be imagined. Some considerable damage was done before the authorities were able to act; finally, when the militia was called upon, the “City Guard” was the first company to report at the rendevous, and it was the only company whose every member was in complete uniform. Guards were kept on the other offices that had escaped the fury of the mob up to this time. Guards were also kept over loyal newspapers, for fear that the rioters would so far forget themselves as to wreck them too. Considerable trouble was experienced, and many broken heads was the result. As soon as matters quieted down the troops were dismissed.
Little was again re-elected September 4, 1865, with William M. Noyes as first lieutenant,viceMacondry; George W. Granniss, second lieutenant,viceNoyes promoted; T. Van Tassel, junior second lieutenant, date from October 3, 1865,viceHoyt. The latter remained in his position but a short time, going again into the ranks, presumed to be upon the reorganization as the National Guard of California.
On November 20, 1865, the company moved from California street to an armory situated on the top floor of a three-story building on the south side of Market street, opposite Dupont. Remaining there until April following.
April 2, 1868, saw the last of the “California State Militia,” for upon this date the Legislature passed the law creatingthe “National Guard of California,” together with a general revision of the codes governing the state forces. Among the principal features of this bill we find: A limit to the number of companies; allowing but three officers to each infantry company, same to hold office for two years; field officers to be elected for four years.
Soon after this bill became a law a complete reorganization took place, and many companies were necessarily mustered out of the service. Orders were issued from general headquarters on July 12, 1866 (see S. O. No. 3 series of 1866), directing the immediate organization of the Second Brigade, in accordance with this law. This was accomplished the next month.
The “City Guard” Company B, retained its position in the First Regiment, and sixty-seven members of the company took the following oath on the twenty-first day of August, 1866, before the mustering-in officer, Major George W. Smiley, Asst. Adj. Gen., 2nd Brig., N. G. C.
“Company “B,” First Regiment Infantry; Second Brigade,N. G. C.“State of California,}“City and County of San Francisco. }ss.“You do solemnly swear and pledge your honor that you“will support the constitution of the United States, and the“constitution of the state of California, and that you will“maintain and defend the laws and all officers lawfully employed“in administering the same.”
“Company “B,” First Regiment Infantry; Second Brigade,N. G. C.
“State of California,}“City and County of San Francisco. }ss.
“You do solemnly swear and pledge your honor that you“will support the constitution of the United States, and the“constitution of the state of California, and that you will“maintain and defend the laws and all officers lawfully employed“in administering the same.”
Little, Noyes, and Granniss were retained as the three company officers, Van Tassel taking the oath as a private.
April 24, 1866, again found the “City Guard” located in a new armory, this time at No. 617 Howard street, opposite New Montgomery, in the second story, the California Guard being on the ground floor. This was its home until February, 1871.
During October, 1866, the company received eighty new full-dress uniforms from the state. They were of the same pattern as those of 1863, but without the piping of white cord.
George W. Granniss was elected captain during October also,viceLittle, promoted major; Stephen H. Smith, first lieutenant,viceNoyes; and David Wilder, second lieutenant,viceGranniss promoted.
Two years after, October 19, 1868, found another change in officers. Granniss having been elected major, Douglass Gunn was elected captain, and Chalmers Scott first lieutenant,viceSmith. Wilder was re-elected second lieutenant. Gunn resigned, and Chalmers Scott was raised to the captaincy on November 1, 1869. At the same time Wilder was made first lieutenant, and Horace D. Ranlett, second lieutenant.
During the latter part of 1869 the company readopted the “fancy uniform,” which lasted, as near as the writer can determine, until 1874 or 1875. It was not worn much, however, during the latter part of the period named.
During the month of November, 1869, a fire occurred, which did considerable damage to the arms and accoutrements of the company. These arms and accoutrements were condemned by a Board of Survey, and new ones issued on December 21st following, those damaged having been returned to the state authorities.