CHAPTER IX.

CHAPTER IX.

Longton—Sutherland Road Works—Market Street Works—High Street Works—Park Works—Sheridan Works—Commerce Street Works—Crown Works—Stafford Street Works—Peel Pottery—King Street Works—Chancery Lane Works—St. Mary’s Works—Commerce Street—New Town Pottery—Borough Pottery—High Street—New Street—Prince of Wales Pottery—High Street Works—Alma Works—Market Street—Victoria Works—Stafford Street—Russell Street—Mount Pleasant Works—High Street—British Anchor Works—Royal Porcelain Works—Stafford Street—St. Gregory’s Pottery—Gold Street Works—Wellington Works—St. Martin’s Lane—Heathcote Works—Green Dock Works—Chadwick Street—Baddeley—Waterloo Works—Heathcote Road Pottery—Sutherland Potteries—Church Street—Cornhill Works—Sutherland Works—St. James’s Place—Daisy Bank—Park Hall Street—Viaduct Works—Beech, King Street—Anchor Pottery—Dresden Works—Palissy Works—Fenton, Minerva Works—Victoria Works—Fenton Potteries—Fenton Pottery—Foley—Old Foley Pottery—Anchor Works—Fenton Potteries—Lane Delph Pottery—Grosvenor Works—Park Works—Foley Pottery—Foley Potteries—Foley China Works—King Street Works—Heath—Bacchus—Meir—Harrison—Martin—Miles Mason—Whieldon—Wedgwood & Harrison—Turner—Garner—Edwards—Johnson—Phillips—Bridgwood—Greatbach—Greenwood—Heathcote, &c.

Longton—Sutherland Road Works—Market Street Works—High Street Works—Park Works—Sheridan Works—Commerce Street Works—Crown Works—Stafford Street Works—Peel Pottery—King Street Works—Chancery Lane Works—St. Mary’s Works—Commerce Street—New Town Pottery—Borough Pottery—High Street—New Street—Prince of Wales Pottery—High Street Works—Alma Works—Market Street—Victoria Works—Stafford Street—Russell Street—Mount Pleasant Works—High Street—British Anchor Works—Royal Porcelain Works—Stafford Street—St. Gregory’s Pottery—Gold Street Works—Wellington Works—St. Martin’s Lane—Heathcote Works—Green Dock Works—Chadwick Street—Baddeley—Waterloo Works—Heathcote Road Pottery—Sutherland Potteries—Church Street—Cornhill Works—Sutherland Works—St. James’s Place—Daisy Bank—Park Hall Street—Viaduct Works—Beech, King Street—Anchor Pottery—Dresden Works—Palissy Works—Fenton, Minerva Works—Victoria Works—Fenton Potteries—Fenton Pottery—Foley—Old Foley Pottery—Anchor Works—Fenton Potteries—Lane Delph Pottery—Grosvenor Works—Park Works—Foley Pottery—Foley Potteries—Foley China Works—King Street Works—Heath—Bacchus—Meir—Harrison—Martin—Miles Mason—Whieldon—Wedgwood & Harrison—Turner—Garner—Edwards—Johnson—Phillips—Bridgwood—Greatbach—Greenwood—Heathcote, &c.

Sutherland Road Works.—These works were commenced in 1862 by Messrs. Adams, Scrivener, & Co. Mr. Scrivener having a few years afterwards retired from the business, Mr. Adams was joined by Mr. Titus Hammersley, and the concern was carried on by them under the style of “Harvey Adams & Co.” until the death of Mr. Hammersley in 1875, when he was succeeded by his son Mr. George Harris Hammersley; the style of the firm remaining as before. The productions of the firm comprise china, semi-china, and fine stoneware. In earthenware—toilet and all the usual table services and numberless useful articles of the best designs and highest finish are made. In stoneware—jugs, tea-pots, and other articles are produced; in these many excellent shapes and designs have been introduced. In china—tea, breakfast, dinner, dessert, trinket, toilet, and other services; jugs of various kinds; vases, and an endless variety of ornamental and highly decorated goods, are made. The quality of the china is remarkably fine and good, and the glaze of more than average excellence. The decorations areremarkable for purity of conception, for admirable arrangement, for manipulative skill, and for the thorough and perfect artistic feeling which pervades each design. In tea and breakfast services many novel, but at the same time chastely beautiful designs, have been introduced by this firm, who have also the credit of being the first to make and introduce “moustache cups”—an invention that has become so popular as to be adopted by many other firms. These services are made by Messrs. Harvey Adams & Co. in every style, from the simple white and gold (one variety of which, with a beaded edge, is peculiarly simple and pretty) to the most richly, even gorgeously painted, gilt, enamelled, and jewelled varieties; in each of these their productions take rank with those of any other house. In some services, both tea and dessert, what may be called anormoludecoration has been introduced with as good effect by this firm as by any other. It gives a richness and a solidity to the patterns which could not otherwise be easily obtained. The jewelling—especially the pearl borders—is admirably executed, and with marked effect. Two important features in the productions of these works—which, from first being confined to the medium quality of common china, have gradually progressed to the present time, when they rank among the highest and best in the district—are, the introduction of silver both as a ground and as a heightening, and of embossed leaf decoration of a peculiar and artistic character. In like manner with gold, the silver is introduced both dead and burnished, and forms a pleasing and marvellously rich combination with gold and colour. It is introduced on tea services in bands upon wreaths of flowers, and other decorations are painted with marked effect. One of the finest and most chastely beautiful of the ceramic productions of this or any other age or country is an open-work plate in which solid silver forms the ground for the centre. On this silver ground is painted, with all the skill that art is capable of, a group of flowers as true to nature as if pencilled by nature herself; the richness and delicacy of the colouring are “thrown up” and a finer and more exquisitely beautiful effect produced by this ground than could by any other means have been effected. The open-work rim, with its interlaced ribbon, and the whole of the subordinate decorations, are in excellent keeping and harmony with the central group.

In leaf-decoration Messrs. Harvey Adams & Co. have, with good taste, introduced “shamrock” tea and breakfast sets, which have become deservedly popular; embossed foliage dessert services; andfern and foliage tea and dessert services and vases, and other ornamental articles, all of which they have very wisely registered. These services consist of upwards of fifty arranged groups of leaves of trees and arrangements of ferns in relief, the whole of which have been modelled from specimens obtained from the gardens of his Grace the Duke of Sutherland, at Trentham Hall. These are painted both in the spring, summer, and autumnal tints, with such scrupulous nicety, and so true to nature, that it is next to impossible to fancy it is not the leaf itself that lies on the plate.

The firm have more recently extended embossed relief by the introduction of the primrose on tea, breakfast, and dessert services. The leaves and flowers of the primrose are in relief, and are beautifully painted and tinted from nature; they are also finished in various styles, but always in strict accordance with the simplicity of the original design. Messrs. Harvey Adams & Co. have also entered very largely into the work of ornamental flowering in reliefà laDresden, and have brought out a number of good shapes in vases, jardinières, and other articles, with flowers and plants modelled on the ware, and painted true to nature. In this and in other departments of the art-manufactory they secured the services of several well-known artists; among them Mr. Henry Mitchell, medallist of the Paris and Vienna Exhibitions, celebrated as an animal, landscape, and figure painter, and whose works are remarkable for their finish, their modelling, and their delicacy of treatment, and whose greys and flesh tints are of peculiar purity and beauty; Mr. Swan, and Mr. Longmore—the former a clever flower painter, and the latter highly skilled in his artistic treatment of birds. The firm has recently brought out in great variety a series of designs of the Chinese, Japanese, and Persian style, consisting of figure and floral decoration, and have adapted them to tea, breakfast, dessert, and ornamental goods—the cobalt blue, introduced largely in these patterns, being of a specially pure and rich colour; and while many of these are for the general buyer, a very large number are of a high class character. In these Mr. Slater, the art manager, has happily realised the full force of the special characteristics of this ancient style of art, and produced admirable works. Some of his plaques, which are admirably drawn and exquisitely coloured, evince much force, and show that he has thoroughly studied the works of these countries, and is acquainted with the peculiarities of their gems of art.

The general art director of the works (which employ nearly seventy artists, gilders, &c.) is Mr. Harvey Adams, to whose pure taste and artistic judgment their high state of excellence is to be attributed; the principal modeller being Mr. W. M. Clowes.

Figs. 620 and 621.

Figs. 620 and 621.

Figs. 622 and 623.

Figs. 622 and 623.

Market Street Works.—These are said to be the oldest works in Longton—the first there established—and to be contemporaneous with those of Wedgwood at Etruria. They were originally carried on by Cyples, afterwards by Cyples & Barker, who were succeeded by Mr. Thomas Barlow. For many years Egyptian black and other tinted bodies only were made, but these were of a fine and very superior character. Lustre wares were also produced, and some of these were marked with a large letter B impressed in the body. Later on china for foreign markets was produced of good average quality, both in body and glaze. Within the past few years the present proprietor, Mr. ThomasBarlow, has successfully turned his attention to the production of the more costly classes of decorated goods for the home markets, and in these he now vies in excellency of body and glaze, and in purity and beauty of design and decoration, with most other houses in the trade. In 1871 Mr. Barlow exhibited some of his productions, which attracted much attention. Some of these are engraved on Figs.632 to 643, and consist of a selection of cups, saucers, and dessert-plates of remarkably chaste and elegant design. The productions of these works consist of tea, breakfast, dessert, and déjeuner services, and a number of ornamental articles, in every style of decoration. The whole evidences a purity of taste, a delicacy of finish, a chasteness of form, and a harmony of colouring, in the highest degree creditable to the proprietor. Many of Mr. Barlow’s designs and patterns are original and worthy of high commendation. Mr. T. W. Barlow produces earthenware in all the usual varieties at Coronation Works in Commerce Street.

High Street Works.—This manufactory, formerly belonging to the Bridgwoods, and next to Cyples & Ball, has, since 1842, been carried on by Messrs. Adams & Cooper. Formerly Egyptian black, brown, and lustre wares, as well as china, were made, but china is now its exclusive product; it is made both for home and foreign markets.

Park Works, High Street.—Messrs. Charles Allerton & Sons here manufacture both earthenware and china in the usual varieties, as well as gold and silver lustre wares, both for home markets and export. The works were established in 1831.

Figs. 624 to 631.—Barlow’s Tea Services.

Figs. 624 to 631.—Barlow’s Tea Services.

Sheridan Works.—Built in 1858 by the late Mr. John Sheridan, the works passed, in 1866, into the hands of Messrs. George Edwards & Co., and are now carried on by Mr. Edwards alone. About 1840 the business of the present proprietor was commenced in Market Street, Longton, on premises partly now occupied by Lloyd’s Bank, by Messrs. Thomas Cope and James Edwards, and after the death of the former, was continued by the late Mr. Edwards, who died in 1873 at the age of seventy-nine; the present proprietor being his youngest son. The productions are china tea, breakfast, and dessert services, both plain white and in every style of decoration, both for the home and foreignmarkets. Among the specialities are small cans and saucers richly and elaborately decorated in gold and colours, in “Japan work,” for Morocco, Gibraltar, and the Turkish markets, and tea-sets, tea-jars, kettles, &c., decorated in an immense variety of patterns, in imitation of ancient Japanese examples, for the Dutch trade.

Commerce Street.—Messrs. H. Aynsley & Co. manufacture all the usual varieties of lustre, Egyptian black, drab, turquoise, and painted wares, as well as stoneware mortars, &c. The works were originally carried on by Wooley, and afterwards by Robinson & Chetham. After remaining for half a century in the family of Chetham they passed a few years ago into the hands of their present proprietors. China of superior character is made at Mr. John Aynsley’s manufactory in the Sutherland Road.

Crown Works.—Messrs. Collingwood & Greatbach manufacture china services, &c., of the commoner classes. The works were formerly carried on by Anderson & Bellamy.

Crown Works, Stafford Street.—Mr. John Tams manufactures the usual classes of earthenware.

Stafford Street Works.—These works, amongst the oldest in Longton, were built, in 1799, by Messrs. John & Charles Harvey, and carried on by them for some years, and were succeeded by Messrs. Hulme & Hawley, from whom they repassed into the hands of the former family, being carried on by Messrs. Charles & W. K. Harvey, sons of Mr. Charles Harvey of the original firm. In 1841 these gentlemen worked three manufactories in Longton. In 1853 Messrs. C. & W. K. Harvey were succeeded by the present proprietors, Messrs. Holland & Green, by whom the premises have been considerably extended. By the first two firms common and useful earthenware was made, and these were continued by C. & W. K. Harvey, who added china to the productions, and also, to a large extent, gold lustre ware. Later on these were discontinued, and the firm devoted themselves to printed goods and white granite ware, chiefly for the North American markets. These were continued solely by the present firm, until 1862, when Messrs. Holland & Green turned their attention to the South American markets, which they now largely supply. Theyestablished, a house abroad, and succeeded in introducing a superior class—similar to those for the home trade, consisting of printed and enamelled services, &c. This supply of an improved class of patterns has produced an increased demand, and one that must ultimately have a marked effect on the American trade. Messrs. H. & G. also supply the home and Continental markets with all the usual varieties of printed, enamelled, and gilt dinner, tea, and toilet services, &c. The quality of the body is good, and the enamelling, gilding, and other decorations, excellent. Many of the patterns are rich and elegant, and all are carefully finished. Notably among these are their new registered “bracelet” pattern, and a remarkably elegant form for covered dishes. The gilding is of high character. They also make sanitary ware. The works, as they have now been reconstructed, are built on the most modern principles, and fitted with machinery for turning jiggers and wheels, and also for preparing the clay. The mark is the name of the pattern or body, the royal arms, and the name or initials of the firm.

IRONSTONE.HOLLAND & GREEN.REGINAH. & G.Figs. 632 and 633.

IRONSTONE.HOLLAND & GREEN.

REGINAH. & G.

Figs. 632 and 633.

The toilet services produced by this firm are of superior quality; the ground colours, rose-du-barry, Brunswick green, &c., of great clearness and beauty, and the gilding rich and elaborate.

Peel Pottery.—These works, originally belonging to Mr. Stirrup, passed successively into the hands of Messrs. Bell, Deakin, & Procter; Mr. Deakin; Messrs. Webb & Walters; and Messrs. Webb & Co. From the last named they passed into the hands of the present proprietor, Mr. John Green. The first three firms originally produced common classes of earthenware. China was added by Messrs. Webb & Walters, and is now alone made. Mr. Green produces china of more than average excellence in body and of various styles of decoration, chiefly for the home trade; a fair proportion, however, being exported. Many are richly gilt, and the floral and other decorations carefully painted.

King Street and Market Street.—At these works, which have been established half a century, Mr. John Lockett manufactures all the usual varieties of earthenware, china, stoneware, lustre, Egyptian black, drab, and other wares, both for the home and export markets. In 1862 he produced some special examples for the exhibition of that year; these are shown in the accompanying group.

Figs. 634 to 639.

Figs. 634 to 639.

Chancery Lane.—Messrs. Taylor, Hudson, & Middleton here produce all the ordinary varieties of china ware.

High Street.—Established about 1840, by Mr. Thomas Cooper, these works were afterwards carried on by Keeling, Walker, & Cooper, and Keeling & Walker, the latter of whom, Mr. John Walker, is now the sole proprietor. He manufactures the ordinary classes of earthenware, gold and silver lustre, figures, &c.

St. Mary’s Works, Mount Pleasant.—This manufactory was carried on from 1830 till 1852 by Messrs. Moore & Hamilton, and so continued until 1859, when Mr. Samuel Moore became sole owner. In 1862 he built the present manufactory, and in 1870 was succeeded by his two sons, Bernard and Samuel Moore, who from that time have carried on the business under the style of “MooreBrothers.” The productions have, from the first, been china of a good marketable quality, in which all the usual breakfast, tea, dinner, dessert, déjeuner, and other services, more or less decorated, are made; but in addition to this, attention has been given with marked success to the development of the strictly ornamental departments. A camel teapot—the Arab tying on the bale forming an excellent handle, and the neck and head of the camel an admirable spout—is a well-conceived design, and is powerfully and cleverly modelled. For table decoration, the firm produces many good designs. Notably among these is a group of three well-modelled Cupids (two of whom are carrying the third), the upper one of which bears a turquoise shell, massively gilt inside. It is of very artistic design, and is well executed. The Persian turquoise glaze made by the firm is remarkably clear and brilliant in colour and not surpassed by other houses. In enamelling, Messrs. Moore Brothers have made much progress, some of their designs in cloissonné enamelling being highly effective, both in form of vessel and in arrangement of colour. Notably among these are “pilgrims’ bottles,” the rich and massive gilding of which throws out and relieves the enamelling in a very marked and effective manner. In china, and also in majolica, Japanese reproductions are made; in these the well-known Chinese ruby glaze has been cleverly imitated; it is rich and full in colour. A turquoise majolica jardinière, the design being water-lilies, is well designed. Mirror frames of large size are also a speciality of these works. Messrs. Moore Brothers’ operations are principally confined to the home markets, a large proportion of their goods bearing the name of the dealers, “T. Goode & Co., London.” The mark of the makers is either the name “MOORE” or “Moore,” impressed on the body of the ware; “Moore,” incised; or “MOORE BROS.,” painted on the surface.

Commerce Street.—The works, now carried on by Mr. Thomas Walters (late Walters & Hulse), were, he informs me, established by Messrs. Riddle & Lightfoot. The productions are china of ordinary quality for both home and export markets.

New Town Pottery.—Erected in 1845 by Mr. J. Meakin, who continued it until 1850, when it passed to Messrs. Stanley & Lambert, who in 1855 were succeeded by Messrs. J. & H. Procter & Co., who produced common earthenware in the usual creamcolour, printed, painted, and lustred varieties; the mark was a crown upon a ribbon, bearing the wordWARRANTED; over the crownSTAFFORDSHIRE, and beneath the ribbon P for Procter. In 1876 the works passed into the hands of Messrs. Dale, Page, & Goodwin, of theChurch Street Works, and are carried on by them. TheChurch Street Workswere established in the latter half of last century, and in 1780 were carried on by Mr. John Forrester, who was succeeded, in 1795, by Messrs. Hilditch & Sons, who in their productions followed closely in the wake of Josiah Spode and Thomas Minton; at which time most of the processes here were carried out by female hands. In 1830 the firm changed to that of “Hilditch & Hopwood,” who, at the Exhibition of 1851, sent up some notable examples of their productions, one of which was a dessert service decorated in the Renaissance style in gold, with landscape and figure vignettes, mainly illustrative of Scott’s “Marmion;” and they also exhibited some very successful imitations of Indian china, prepared by them from designs by Mr. Shorter, of London. The tea services exhibited at the same time were remarkable for their excellent body, the design and execution of the painted decoration, the high class of the ground colours, and the massiveness of the gilding. One example, with raised antique foliage in gold on the fine old “Derby blue” ground, was especially good; while the painting of others, with small landscapes in medallions, and wreaths of flowers, was far beyond average merit. In 1858, on the death of Mr. William Hopwood, the works were continued by the trustees till May, 1867, when the business, stock, and plant, including the moulds, copper-plates, &c., were sold to the present firm of Dale, Page, & Co., who, as just stated, in 1876 removed to the larger premises called New Town Works. The productions of the firm consist of all the usual services in china, and are of a better class than those of many other houses. In tea and breakfast services the firm is particularly successful in designs where leaves, accurately copied from nature, are carelessly thrown on grounds of various tints; the green ground, with geranium leaves, being especially pleasing. Others with wreaths of roses on the same ground, and others again closely diapered with burnished gold, are among their more successful patterns. Others of their productions are dessert services with fruit, flowers, and landscapes, and with richly designed festoons, borders, and gilding; dinner services; richly gilt and enamelled jet ware, &c.

Borough Pottery.—These extensive works were established in 1869 by Messrs. Cartwright & Edwards. They are very extensive, and are built as a “model factory” of the present day. The ovens are built on the down-draught system; the smoke is conveyed to large chimneys (one 50 yards, and the other 26 yards, high), and the enamel and other kilns all work in the same chimneys. The clay is prepared by machinery—both the blunging, sifting, and other processes—and the water is taken out by pressure (a process now generally adopted), so that fuel is entirely dispensed with except at the engine. All the throwing-wheels and jiggers are turned by steam power, and the workshops are fitted with steam drying stoves, so that no fires whatever are used in drying the goods. The goods produced are the ordinary classes of earthenware.

High Street.—Messrs. Thomas Birks & Co. manufacture china, earthenware, and gold and silver lustre of the more ordinary qualities.

New Street.--Messrs. Cooper, Till, & Co. produce both earthenware and china goods of the more ordinary qualities.

Prince of Wales Pottery.—These works, in Sutherland Road, were established by Mr. Benjamin Shirley, of Bangor, in Wales, on the day of the marriage of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, March 10th, 1863, and were in honour of that event named the “Prince of Wales’ Works.” They were carried on for a time by Benjamin Shirley and Walter Freeman, under the style of “Shirley & Freeman,” late of the Sheridan Works, and on the death of the former, in 1864, Mr. Titus Hammersley became a partner with Mr. Freeman. In 1866 Edward Asbury joined the firm, which was carried on as “Hammersley, Freeman, & Co.” In 1870 Mr. Freeman retired from the concern, and the style at that time was “Hammersley & Asbury.” Since the death of Mr. Hammersley, in 1875, the works have been continued by Mr. Asbury alone, under the style of “Edward Asbury & Co.” The goods produced are china tea, coffee, dessert, and trinket services—a special feature, however, being articles bearing local views in colours, for sale at watering-places—principally for the home markets, but goods are also shipped to Australia and the United States. The mark used is the Prince of Wales’ feathers with the letters H. & A. in a garter, or A. & Co.

High Street Works.—Mr. Walter Freeman, just spoken of as a proprietor successively of the “Sheridan” and of the “Prince of Wales” Works, withdrew from the latter in 1870 and entered on this manufactory, and in these he competes successfully with many of the other houses. Mr. Freeman’s productions are confined to china, in which he produces all the usual tea, breakfast, and dessert services in great variety of style; trinket sets for toilet, and other articles, both enamelled, painted, printed, and otherwise decorated: these are made for the home, American, and Australian markets. The quality of the ware and the style of decoration are higher than the average.

New Market Works, Market Street.—These are among the oldest works in Longton. Half a century or more ago they were occupied by Messrs. Martin & Cope for the manufacture of lustre ware and china. They were succeeded by Abel Booth, and after other changes the manufactory came into the hands of Messrs. Glover, Colclough, & Townsend, who were extensively engaged for the Eastern markets. From this firm the works passed to Messrs. Skelson & Plant, and from them to the late Mr. George Copestake, sen., and from him to Messrs. Radford & Co. The productions are china tea, breakfast, and dessert services, &c., chiefly for the home trade.

Alma Works, High Street.—Messrs. Copestake & Allen produce here the ordinary services, &c., in china.

Market Street.—Messrs. Knight & Rowley produce all the usual classes of china goods in tea, breakfast, and dessert services, &c., for the home and foreign markets. Many of their shapes and patterns are of great beauty, and the quality of the body is good; notably among their shapes for tea services the “Napier” is remarkable for its neatness and simplicity; it is a great advance on the usual white and gold services. It was here that the late Mr. Sampson Bridgwood made his first start, and after noble struggles against adversity laid the foundation of his ultimate splendid success.

Victoria Works.—Built by the late Mr. Ralph Shaw about 1828, these works still remain the property of his executors. About 1853 they were taken by Mr. Joseph Finney, who still carries on the business.For the first fifteen years of Mr. Shaw’s working, earthenware was manufactured, but it was then converted into china works and has so continued to the present time. The goods produced are the usual classes of tea, breakfast, and dessert services, and fancy goods of fair average quality in body and decoration for home and foreign markets.

Stafford Street.—Mr. James Dawson occupies these works and produces ordinary earthenware of the usual classes.

Russell Street.—Mr. William Edwards manufactures ordinary earthenware.

Mount Pleasant Works.—Hallam, Johnson, & Co., late Wood & Co., manufacture ordinary qualities of china.

High Street.—Messrs. Richard Hodson & Co., china services of the ordinary quality.

British Anchor Works, Anchor Road.—At these works, occupied by Mr. J. T. Hudden, earthenware only is made.

Royal Porcelain Works, Forrester Street, Anchor Road(Messrs. Robinson & Chapman).—These works have been built as a “model factory.” All the throwing-wheels and jiggers are turned by steam power, and many other operations, which under the old system were done by manual labour, are here carried on by the aid of steam. China of a superior quality and style of decoration is produced at these works.

Stafford Street.—Messrs. Hudson & Son produce ordinary china services.

St. Gregory’s Pottery.—These works, in High Street, were established in 1794 by Mr. G. Barnes, and were successively held by him and his partner Mr. Wood (under the style of Barnes & Wood), by Messrs. Wood & Blood, Mr. Chesworth; Messrs. Beardmore & Birks, and Mr. G. Townsend, from whom they passed in 1864 to Messrs. Tams & Lowe; they now belong to Mr. William Lowe alone. The goods produced comprise all the usual varieties of articles in useful ordinary earthenware, and in china of an average quality. In the former, dinner, tea, toilet, and other services, &c.,are made in white, sponged, printed, ground-laid, and gilt varieties; in the latter only the ordinary common classes are made, principally for the home trade. The quality of the body is firm and good, and the mosaic jugs and tea-pots, mounted and otherwise, are well formed and decorated. In these and in the reeded turquoise tea-pots, &c., the ground colours are clear and even. The usual mark in the common willow pattern is a garter, with the wordsSTAFFORDSHIRE IMPROVED, enclosing the name of the pattern and the Staffordshire knot; the ribbon is surmounted by a crown, and beneath are the initials of the firm, T. & L.

Gold Street Works, near Stafford Street(Barker Brothers).—This is one of the oldest manufactories in Longton, and it is historically interesting from the fact of gold lustre having been here first discovered and applied to decorative purposes. The earthenware here made is of the ordinary medium quality, both for home and for foreign markets, including the Cape of Good Hope, Western Africa, Australia, South America, Turkey, &c. It consists of cream-coloured, white, fancy-sponged, painted and printed, enamelled and other descriptions, in toilet, dinner, breakfast and tea services, and other articles.

Wellington Works.—These works, in Stafford Street, were established in 1862 by Messrs. G. L. Robinson & W. Cooper, the latter retiring after a few years in favour of Mr. G. L. Robinson, when the firm became Robinson & Son. In 1871 Mr. G. L. Robinson retired in favour of his son Mr. G. A. Robinson, who became a partner, and the firm now is “Robinson, Repton, & Robinson.” The class of china manufactured is of the best finished kind, and is suited, in style and decoration, both for the principal home and foreign markets. The goods principally produced are tea, breakfast, dessert, and other services; toilet trinket-ware, vases, centre-pieces, &c., and a large variety of ornamental china goblets, fruit and other baskets, open-work (or pierced) comports, moustache cups of the same construction as those already spoken of, and the general varieties of articles which are made in this material. The body of Messrs. Robinson’s china is of good pure quality, and the decoration artistic and clever. Some of the tea services are peculiarly chaste in design and rich in colouring; and the gilding, enamelling, and painting are good. The jewelling and embossing of some of theservices, and the happy combinations of colours in others, combined with careful artistic treatment, show how thoroughly the designing as well as the manufacturing departments are “managed” by this enterprising firm.

Messrs. Robinson & Co. atThe Foley, also produce china of the usual classes, both for home and export trades.

St. Martin’s Lane.(Taylor, Hudson, & Middleton.)—At these works, which have been established about forty years, a general assortment of plain and decorated china, in all the various services, is made both for home and foreign markets.

Heathcote Works.—Established in 1854 by Messrs. William Brammall and John Dent, from whom it passed to William Brammall, then to Messrs. Edwin Brammall and T. S. Repton, and is now carried on by W. H. Derbyshire & Co. The works are in Heathcote Road. The manufactures consist of china tea, breakfast, and other services, and all the usual useful articles in that material suitable for the home trade.

Green Dock Works.—Messrs. Cooper, Till, & Co. (formerly Hampson Brothers) manufacture improved stoneware, ordinary earthenwares, and lustres, for the home, American, Australian, and other markets. Established in 1846.

Chadwick Street.—Messrs. Frederick Jones & Co. manufacture earthenware of the more ordinary class.

High Street.—Mr. J. L. Johnson produces all the usual services, &c. in the commoner classes of china.

Baddeley.—About 1720 William Baddeley (an old name in the district) commenced making brown ware at Eastwood, Hanley. About 1740, having invented an “engine-lathe,” he began to make “turned articles in cane and brown ware. He was succeeded in the pottery by his son, William Baddeley; his other son, John Baddeley, taking the business of the lathe making, by which he acquired a competency, and died in 1841, aged eighty-five.” This second William Baddeley made many improvements in the ware, and attempted, both by an imitation of body of his vitreous wares, and by his mark, to palm off some of his goods as Wedgwood’s. His mark was thewordEASTWOODimpressed on the ware, but he contrived always to have theEASTindistinct and theWOODclearthus hoping to catch the unwary by the latter syllable. He died at an advanced age, and the works at Eastwood having been sold, his son, William Baddeley, commenced in Queen Street, Hanley, for the manufacture of terra-cotta articles, and a large trade was carried on in earthenware knobs for tin and japanned tea and coffee-pots. He also made fancy pipes, japanned terra cotta, and other goods. He also, at the Market Lane Works, “was the first to make telegraph insulators in iron moulds with screw and lever pressure.” The works were in 1846 removed to Longton (Wharf Street), and here the manufacture of imitation stag, buck, and buffalo-horn, and bone handles for knives, forks, &c., for the Sheffield trade, was first introduced. In this branch “a very good trade was done, but the working handlers of Sheffield refused to work them up, and threats were sent to several masters, that if they did not give up the terra-cotta knife-handle trade, their works would be blown up.” The masters, thus intimidated, gave up the use of these handles, and on Mr. Baddeley visiting Sheffield, an attack was made on his life, and letters sent to him on his return threatening that if he did not give up making the handles, he and his works “would be done for.” The manufacture was then discontinued. Mr. Baddeley “invented the thimble placing rack, now so extensively used; this he sold to Elias Leak, of Longton, who, in 1856, took out a patent for the invention.” Mr. Baddeley, who died in 1864, held the St. Martin’s Lane Works, and his widow now carries on business in Commerce Street. Their son, William Baddeley, commenced manufacturing in the Normacott Road, in 1862. His productions were rustic terra-cotta articles for floral, horticultural, useful, and decorative purposes; the principal articles being fern-stands, vases, flower-stands, hyacinth-pots, flower-pots, garden-seats, flower-baskets, mignonette-boxes, crocus-pots, globe-stands, brackets, inkstands, &c. The designs were all taken from nature, and appropriate to the intended use of the vessel. His imitations of bark, &c., and of various woods and plants, were remarkably good.

Waterloo Works, Stafford Street. (Brough & Blackhurst).—Built in 1815, the year of the Battle of Waterloo, and in honour of that event named the “Waterloo” Works. The date 1815 occurs on one of the ovens. The manufactory formerly belonged to Messrs. Ratkin& Booth, who were so justly celebrated for their gold and silver lustre wares. At these works, which are large and commodious, are produced the ordinary classes of earthenware suitable both for the home and for foreign markets, enamelled and gilt services, &c.

Heathcote Road Pottery.—Messrs I. and H. Procter removed here in 1876 from the New Town Pottery. The productions are common earthenware in the usual cream colour, printed, painted, and lustred varieties. The mark is a crown upon a ribbon, bearing the words WARRANTED; over a crown is STAFFORDSHIRE, and beneath the ribbon P for Procter.

Sutherland Pottery, Daisy Bank.—Established in 1870 by Mr. Joseph Holdcroft, their present proprietor, for the manufacture of majolica, Parian, and silver lustre ware for the home, continental, South American, and Australian markets. Mr. Holdcroft, who for eighteen years was in the employment of Minton & Co., commenced business in another manufactory in Longton, which he left on the erection of his present pottery. His majolica productions are of a high class, both in design, in quality, and in workmanship; a “Wren Vase,” with well-modelled birds and flowers, is a speciality of his works. His mark is his initialsimpressed in the ware.

Church Street.—These works, for the production of Parian, jasper, and majolica ware, belonging to Mr. G. A. Robinson, were pulled down in 1876 for town improvements, Mr. Robinson erecting new works in Sutherland Road.

Cornhill Works.—Messrs. Poole & Unwin entered on these works, which had previously been carried on as general earthenware works by others, in 1871. The productions are middle-class earthenware; stoneware jugs, &c., chiefly intended for the home market. Gold and silver lustres of the ordinary kind, and rustic majolica, were also at one time made. The initials of the firm areimpressed in the body of the ware.

Sutherland Works, Barker Street.—Established by the present proprietor, Mr. Sampson Smith, for the production of china, tea, and other services, silver and gold lustre, and china figures and ornaments.

Sutherland Pottery, Normacott Road.—These works were established by their present proprietors, Messrs. Skelson & Plant, who were previously of the New Market Works, Chancery Lane, Longton, and the Heathcote Road Pottery. They are also proprietors of theHeathcote Road Pottery. These latter were established by Mr. Thomas Beardmore, and much enlarged by Messrs. Stubbs & Bridgwood, before they came into the hands of Skelson & Plant. At these works china is made in all the usual useful services.

St. James’s Place.—The St. James’s works were established by William Bradshaw, and afterwards occupied by John Gerard, Jesse Cope & Co., and Baggaley & Ball. In 1831 they were taken by Robert Gallimore, who about 1840 was joined in partnership by George Shubotham. In 1842 Mr. Gallimore retired from the concern, and the business was then continued by George Shubotham and William Webberley, under the style of “Shubotham & Webberley.” In 1847 Mr. Shubotham died, and the works are now carried on by Mr. Webberley alone. In 1858 this gentleman purchased the premises, and soon afterwards pulled down the old buildings and erected the present commodious “four-oven” manufactory. Originally lustre ware only was produced, but china was added by Mr. Gallimore. In 1844 lustre was entirely abandoned, and since that time china alone has been made. This is produced in all the usual services both for the home, Dutch, and Australian markets. No mark is used.

Daisy Bank.—These are among the most historically interesting works in this immediate locality. They were built in the latter part of last century by a Mr. Hughes, and passed successively through the firms of Drury, Ray, & Tideswell, and Ray & Wynne, to Charles James Mason & Co., who succeeded the latter firm. It was in these works that Mr. Mason produced his ever famous “Ironstone china,” the firm at that time being “George Miles Mason and Charles James Mason,” and subsequently “C. J. Mason” only. The patent taken out by C. J. Mason in 1813 was for “a process for the improvement of the manufacture of English porcelain;” the process, according to the specification, consisting “in using scoria or slag of ironstone pounded and ground in water, in certain proportions, with flint, Cornwall stone, and clay, and blue oxide of cobalt;” doubtless, however, this was not correct so far as the first ingredientsare concerned. It should also be added that the name “Ironstone” was simply a combination of “iron” and “stone,” used to denote the extreme hardness of the body, as combining the strength of both. From various causes the manufactory, after some years, became a commercial failure, though a great artistic and manipulative success; in 1851 the patent right, moulds, copper-plates, &c. were sold to Mr. Morley; and in 1853 the lease of the premises was sold to Messrs. Hulse, Nixon, and Adderley. (For an account of Mason’s ironstone china, &c. see pages315,407, and408.)

The freehold of the premises was afterwards purchased from John Edward Heathcote, Esq., by Hulse, Nixon, and Adderley. In 1869 Mr. Nixon died, and the firm was changed to “Hulse and Adderley,” and so continued until 1874, when (Mr. Hulse having died in the preceding year) it was altered to that of “William A. Adderley,” who was the surviving partner, and is now the sole proprietor of the place. Since Mason’s time the premises have been very considerably enlarged and improved. The productions are china and earthenware for the home, Canadian, West Indian, South American, Australian, New Zealand, and continental markets, the operations being conducted on a large scale. No distinctive mark is used.

Park Hall Street.—Messrs. Daniel Sutherland & Sons entered on these works in 1863, and they are now carried on by the sons under the same style. The productions are majolica and Parian of various qualities. In the former, jugs of an infinite variety of shapes and patterns; vases, tripods, and flower-holders; Stilton cheese, butter, and sardine stands and boxes; bread, cheese, and fruit dishes; water-bottles; tea and coffee-pots; kettles; flower-pots; brackets, and scent-jars, taper-stands, candlesticks, and other articles are largely made. In Parian, the firm produces groups, figures, busts, &c., in considerable variety, as well as all the usual lesser articles, jugs, brooches, crosses, and trinkets. Stoneware jugs, tea-pots, &c., are also made. The mark of the firm was formerlyS & S, but none is now used.

Viaduct Works, Caroline Street.—Established about 1836. This manufactory, in 1863, passed into the hands of Cooper, Nixon, & Co., and next to Cooper and Dethick. They produce plain and printed earthenware of the ordinary kinds, and drab and other colouredbodies, both for the home and foreign markets. The mark is the initials of the firm,C & D.

High Street and Sutherland Road.—Messrs. James Beech & Co., the present proprietors, opened those works about 1846. They produce all the usual tea, breakfast, and dessert services in china of a more than ordinary quality, and in various styles of decoration. They are also grinders of flint and stone for the trade.

King Street.—These works were established in 1875, being opened on March 25th of that year, by their present proprietors, Messrs. Bridgett, Bates, & Beech. They manufacture china only, but in this are produced all the usual services in every variety of style. No mark is used, but the productions are both for the home and foreign markets.

Anchor Pottery.—Messrs. Sampson Bridgwood, & Sons, who are extensive manufacturers, first carried on business in the Market Street Works, and next for many years at a manufactory in Stafford Street, originally occupied by G. Forrester, which was purchased by the late commissioners of Longton, and pulled down for the erection of the present market buildings. They then removed to their present works, the “Anchor Pottery,” where they produce both china and earthenware. In china all the usual tea, breakfast, and dessert services are made, partly for the home, but principally for the United States and Canadian markets. In earthenware they produce largely the white granite for the United States, Australian, and Canadian trade, and they also produce for the home market. One of their specialities is what is technically called “Parisian granite” (stamped as “Limoges”), which is of fine hard durable body and excellent glaze. In this ware, tea, breakfast, dessert, dinner, and toilet services are largely produced; many are of excellent design. The marks used are, on china, an impressed stamp of the name “S. BRIDGWOOD & SON.” The Parisian granite bears the impressed stamp, an oval, with the word “LIMOGES,” and in the centreP. G.(for Parisian granite). It also bears the printed mark of an elaborate shield of arms with mantling, sceptres, &c., and the words “PORCELAINE OPAQUE,” “BRIDGWOOD & SON.”

Dresden Works, Normacott Road, established by Mr. JohnProctor.—These works, after being worked successively by Messrs. Glover & Colclough, and Messrs. Goodwin & Bullock, came into the hands of the present firm of Mason, Holt, & Co., in 1858, since which time they have been much enlarged. All the usual tea, breakfast, dessert, and other services, in china of excellent commercial quality, are made, both for home and foreign markets.

Dresden Works, Stafford Street.—These works were established by Mr. John Ferneyhough, and in 1858 passed into the hands of Messrs. Shelley & Hartshorne, who were succeeded by Messrs. Adams & Scrivener, who in turn were again succeeded by, in 1866, John Ferneyhough, who manufactures all the usual varieties of services, &c. in china of good quality.

Palissy Works, Chancery Lane.—These works were erected in 1862, by Mr. R. H. Grove, for the purpose of decorating, not manufacturing, china ware. In 1867 he retired, and was succeeded by his son, Mr. Fredk. Wedgwood Grove, and his partner, Mr. John Stark, who continued them for decorating purposes alone until 1867, when they commenced manufacturing, having increased the premises for the purpose, and erected the necessary kilns and machinery. They manufacture earthenware only. In this all the usual dinner, dessert, toilet, and other services and domestic articles are produced, and of all degrees of decoration, from plain and printed up to enamelled and gilt varieties. Some of their more beautiful patterns are the “Hindoo,” “Arabesque,” and “Shell,” and these are made in a variety of styles of more or less richness in detail. Spirit and wine show-barrels or casks are also specialities.

Minerva Works, Fenton.—In 1812 these works were held by Charles James Mason & Co., the producers of the famous “Patent Ironstone China” (which see), and from them passed to Messrs. Pratt & Co., who were succeeded by Mr. Gerard (or Jerrad) and Mr. Richard Hassall. About 1833 or 1834 Mr. Hassall was joined in partnership by Mr. Thomas Green (son of Mr. Thomas Green, of the Churchyard Works at Burslem), of Bank House, Fenton, who produced the common classes of china. Shortly afterwards, Mr. Hassall retired, and Mr. Green was joined in partnership by Mr. W. Richards, of Great Fenton, and the business was continued by “Green & Richards,” until 1847, when the latter withdrew. The business wasthen continued by Mr. Thomas Green alone, until his decease in 1859; from that date to the present time it has been carried on by his widow, Mrs. Margaret Green, under the trading style of “M. Green & Co.” under the careful management of her sons. The china made by the earlier firms was of the commonest kind of blue figured, white and gold, and lustre wares. During the partnership of Mr. Richards, a variety of ornaments, small ewers and basins, toy mugs and jugs, &c., were extensively made; this trade was, however, checked by the introduction of a similar, but cheaper, class of goods from France. This had a good effect on the firm, for it induced attention to be turned to a better class of productions; and this again was more decisively done in 1851, when goods of a highly creditable character were made. The present productions of Messrs. M. Green & Co. are china tea, breakfast, dessert, trinket, and other services; toy sets; jugs, mugs, feeders, wheel-barrow, and spade salts; and a large variety of other articles, both for home and foreign markets.

Victoria Works, for many years carried on by Mr. S. Ginders, are now held by Mr. James Reeves, who produces the more ordinary qualities of earthenware.

Fenton Potteries.—The goods produced are of the commoner class of printed, sponged, and pearl-white granite wares suitable for British North American, United States, West Indian, African, and Indian markets. None are produced for the home trade. The works are carried on by Messrs. W. Baker & Co., who were awarded a medal at the Paris Exhibition.

Fenton Pottery.—This was established in 1825, by Messrs. C. J. & G. M. Mason, for the manufacture of their famous “Ironstone China” ware (which see). “The works of C. J. Mason & Co.,” says Ward, in 1843, “standing obliquely to two turnpike-roads, and on the line of the Canal Company’s railway, present an extensive front of four stories in height, inscribed in large letters ‘Patent Ironstone China Manufactory.’ For this article of trade, which Messrs. G. & C. J. Mason introduced some years ago, they obtained extensive public favour, and an almost exclusive sale, on account of its resemblance to porcelain, and its very superior hardness and durability.” Messrs. Mason were succeeded by Mr. Samuel Boyle, from whom the workspassed into the hands of Messrs. E. & C. Challinor, formerly E. Challinor & Co. of Sandyford and Tunstall, who still carry them on. The goods produced are white granite, printed, sponged, and common earthenware, for the American, Australian, and other foreign and colonial markets. In these, tea, coffee, breakfast, dinner, toilet, and other services, and all the usual useful articles, are largely produced. The white granite, or ironstone china, is of good, hard, sound, and durable quality; some of their most successful embossed patterns being the Ceres or Wheat, the Garland, and the Vine-leaf patterns. In jugs, Messrs. Challinor produce the Ceres or Wheat, Paris, Garland, Barberry, Lily, Missouri, Florence, Versailles, Lotus or Cora, and other shapes, both plain and embossed. The earthenware is of the ordinary common quality, specially designed and well adapted for the various markets to which it is sent.

The marks are the Staffordshire knotimpressed in the ware—

E & C CHALLINORFENTON

E & C CHALLINOR

IRONSTONECHINAE & C CHALLINOR

within an ornamental border, surmounted by the royal arms, &c., also impressed in the ware; and the following printed on the surface:—the royal arms with crown, supporters, motto, &c., and, beneath, a ribbon withIRONSTONE CHINA, E & C CHALLINOR FENTON; the name of the pattern, as “Australia,” “Gothic,” “Portland,” &c. within various borders, &c., and the nameE & C CHALLINOR, orE & C C.

Old Foley Pottery.—Messrs. Moore & Co., late Samuel Bridgwood, produce white granite ware, of the ordinary character, for the American markets.

Anchor Works, Market Street.—These works were carried on for some years by T. and J. Carey, until about 1845, when they came into the possession of Mr. Ashwell, who occupied them for about thirteen years. They were afterwards carried on by Mr. W. Green, from whom they passed to Copestake Brothers, and are now occupied by Mr. George Copestake, who produces china of the usual varieties for both the home and foreign markets.

Fenton Potteries.—These works appear to have been in the hands of the present firm, Messrs. Pratt, ever since the commencement of this century. The style of the firm is “F. & R. Pratt & Co.,” and they produce all the ordinary classes of earthenware goods in services, and the usual useful and ornamental articles. They are large makers of “druggists’ sundries,” as that particular branch of trade is described, for which they are in high repute. Messrs. Pratt also produce a variety of articles in a peculiarly compact, vitreous terra cotta; the colour is a good, full, rich red, and the enamel ornamentation is usually artistically arranged. Another speciality of this firm is under-glaze colour-printing, for which, and their Etruscan ware, they received a medal at the 1851 Exhibition. A silver medal was also awarded to them by the Society of Arts for a pair of the largest Etruscan-style vases up to that time produced; they were exhibited in 1851, and were purchased by the Prince Consort.

Lane Delph Pottery(John Pratt & Co.).—These works have been in the hands of the present firm for above half a century. The goods produced are earthenware of the ordinary class, chiefly for foreign markets.

Grosvenor Works, Foley Place.—The works were established about 1850 by Messrs. Till, Bourne, & Browne, and since their time the successive changes in the proprietorship have been Bourne & Browne; Charles Browne, alone; Jackson & Browne; and Jackson & Gosling, by whom they are now carried on, and who do a large home and foreign trade. The manufactures are confined to china, in which tea, breakfast, and dessert services are produced.

Park Works, Market Street.—Mr. Ralph Malkin, doubtless a descendant of the old pottery family of Malkin, manufactures here the ordinary classes of earthenware goods.

Foley Pottery.—This is one of the oldest works in the district. It was originally occupied by Samuel Spode, who lived in a large house adjoining, which was pulled down some years ago. It was afterwards occupied by Christopher Bourne. It has been in the possession of the present occupiers (Messrs. W. Hawley & Co.) since 1842. The productions are earthenware of the ordinary kind both for home and export markets.

The Foley Potteries.—These potteries take their name from the Foley family, who own property in the neighbourhood. They were built by Mr. John Smith, of Fenton Hall, about 1820, the first firm by whom they were worked being Messrs. Elkin, Knight, & Bridgwood (who made the better classes of “Willow pattern,” “Broseley pattern,” and other blue printed services). On the retirement of the latter the style was changed to Knight & Elkin, and, subsequently, on the retirement of Mr. Elkin, the works were carried on by Mr. John King Knight alone, till 1853, when he was joined in partnership by the late Mr. Henry Wileman, wholesale china dealer, of London, the style being Knight & Wileman. On the retirement of Mr. Knight, in 1856, Mr. Wileman carried on the works alone until his death, in 1864, when his two sons succeeded him as J. & C. Wileman. In 1866 the partnership was dissolved, and from that time till the present the business has belonged to Mr. James F. Wileman, the present proprietor. The goods produced are the usual granite ware, printed wares, lustres, Egyptian and shining black, and cream-coloured wares. All of these of the ordinary classes for household use, and the great bulk of the trade are export to the States, Panama, Australia, South Africa, Ceylon, Java, and India.

The Foley China Workswere built in 1860 by the late Mr. Henry Wileman, the owner of the Foley Potteries. At his death, in 1864, they were continued by his sons, Messrs. J. & C. Wileman, till 1867, when the partnership was dissolved, the latter (Mr. C. J. Wileman) continuing the china, and the former the earthenware works. In 1870 Mr. C. J. Wileman retired, and his brother then became proprietor of both manufactories, and shortly afterwards took into partnership Mr. J. B. Shelley, the firm being styled Wileman & Co. The china produced is of the ordinary useful class for household purposes.

King Street Works.—These works were established in the latter part of last century by Mr. Shelley, who was succeeded by Mr. Marsh, from whom they passed to Messrs. T. & J. Carey. The productions of these firms were the ordinary Rockingham ware and common classes of earthenware; Messrs. Carey also occupying two other manufactories at Longton. They were next held by a company, and about 1850 passed into the hands of the present proprietor, Mr. John Edwards. The goods now produced are semi-porcelainand white granite for the American markets. Until 1856 Mr. Edwards produced china in addition, but this has since then been discontinued. Mr. Edwards is patentee of a process for making thimble pins; and he also, in 1859, took out a patent for “improvements in stacking or holding biscuit, earthen, china, and glossed ware for firing” by means of “a ring frame or holder, with a rim or flange projecting inwardly, so as to occupy the whole or part of the centre of the ring.”

Heath.—Thomas Heath was a potter in Lane Delph in 1710, and produced a good hard grey-coloured ware. His three daughters married three potters, Palmer and Neale, of Hanley, and Pratt of Fenton. Heath was an enterprising potter, and was successful in making the coated or delft ware, same as made by Astbury.

Bacchus.—Thomas Bacchus, who, according to Shaw, married first a widow named Astbury, manufactured cream-coloured and blue painted ware; his second wife being a skilled painter, his late productions were of a more superior character.

William Meirhad pot works at Fenton in the middle of last century, which he rented from Whieldon, as the following entry in his book shows: “Mr. Wm. Meir, of Fenton Low, for a house and pottworks & 3 small closes, March 25, 1750, a year’s Rent due—£14—10—0.” Whieldon at that time owned much land about Fenton, and Fenton Hall seems also to have belonged to him. This he let to Ralph Woolf, at a yearly rental of £4; the “New House in Lower Lane” being at the same time let to Thos. Woolf for £2 2s.a year. Fenton Hall was afterwards, in 1750, let at the same rent to Wm. Marsh and Wm. Kent; it was afterwards divided.

Harrison.—George Harrison was an earthenware manufacturer in the latter part of last century. His productions, according to an invoice of August 20, 1793, consisted of “large and less tureens,” “sauce tureens,” “root dishes,” “sallad bowls,” and “tureen ladles,” blue edged; and cream-coloured “ewers.”

Martin.—Anne Martin (I presume, widow of S. Martin), was a manufacturer at Lane Delph in 1793. Her productions, as appears from invoices of hers of that year in my possession, were “variegated jugs” of different sizes, “blue-gray mugs and jugs,” “hand-basins,”different sizes, “egg cups,” “pattie pans,” “cups and saucers,” (these were 10d.a dozen!) “sauce boats,” “bottles,” “bowls,” “cowlerd toys,” “hand bowls,” “dipdbosed jugs,” “sallad bowls,” “flower pots,” “stoole pans,” “blue painted mugs and jugs,” “pickel jars,” “table services,” &c.

Miles Masonwas a manufacturer in the latter part of last century. An invoice of his of 1797 enumerates blue dessert ware sets, each consisting of “1 centre piece, 4 shells, 2 hearts, 2 cucum. tureens, dishes & stands, and 24 desert plates;” “melon shapes,” “squares,” oval and round baking dishes, oval and square salad dishes, “Nankeen spitting pots,” basins and egg cups. Miles Mason was the father of George Miles Mason, Charles James Mason, of “Ironstone china” celebrity (see page408), and William Mason. The family of Mason was originally of Westmoreland, where they were tenants of Sir Michael Freeman, of Rydal Hall. One of the sons went to London and established a shop for the sale of East India china. He afterwards, I am informed, opened a manufactory at Liverpool. He then bought land at Fenton from the Bagnall family, on which he erected the works now occupied by Mrs. Green, and called the “Minerva Works,” at Fenton. Afterwards he and his brother built the “Fenton Pottery” (which see), and after some reverses removed from it to a much smaller and less pretentious manufactory, the “Daisy Bank Works” (which also see). Miles Mason’s marks were—

MILES MASON.  Miles Mason. M. Mason.M. MASON.

Whieldon.—Thomas Whieldon, whose name is more intimately mixed up with the early development of the potter’s art than that of almost any other man, was a manufacturer at Little Fenton in the middle of last century. Spode, Astbury, Garner, Greatbach, Heath, Edge, Marsh, and many others, were his apprentices or employés, and Josiah Wedgwood, when quite a young man, and Harrison, were his partners, while his mottled and other wares were of high character. In 1740 Whieldon’s works consisted of a small range of low thatched buildings. “His early productions were knife-hafts for the Sheffield cutlers, and snuff-boxes for the Birmingham hardwaremen to finish with hoops, hinges, and springs, which himself usually carried in a basket to the tradesmen, and, being much like agate, they were greatly in request. He also made toys and chimney ornaments, coloured in either the clay state orbiscuit by zaffre, manganese, copper, &c., and glazed with black, red, or white lead. He also made black glazed tea and coffee-pots, tortoiseshell and melon table plates (with ornamented edge and six scollops, as in the specimens kept by Andrew Boon, of the Honeywall, Stoke), and other useful articles. Mr. A. Wood made models and moulds of these articles; also pickle leaves, crab-stock handles, and cabbage-leave spouts for tea and coffee-pots, which utensils, with candlesticks, chocolate-cups, and tea-ware, were much improved, and his connections extended subsequently, when Mr. J. Wedgwood became Whieldon’s managing partner. He was a shrewd and careful person. To prevent his productions being imitated in quality or shape, he always buried the broken articles, and a few months ago we witnessed the unexpected exposure of some of these, by some miners attempting to get marl in the road at Little Fenton. The fortune he acquired by his industry enabled him to erect a very elegant mansion near Stoke, where he long enjoyed, in the bosom of his family, the fruits of his early economy. He was also sheriff of the county in the twenty-sixth year of the late reign. The benevolence of his disposition, and his integrity, are honourable traits of character, far superior to the boast of ancestry without personal merit. Mr. Whieldon lived, I am informed by Mr. John Ward, in a large house near the lower part of Fenton, called Whieldon’s Grove; the line of railway passes through the grounds, and a part of the house is used by the railway company as a store. He died in 1798 at a very old age, and in 1828 his relict was interred beside him in Stoke churchyard.

In 1749, Thomas Whieldon built an addition to his works, and the account of the “Expenses of the new end & Seller of the Over Work-house” are in my own possession.

From this period downwards for some years the dates and terms of “hirings” of workpeople, “setting” of houses and land to different tenants, and many other matters of interest, are all entered in his own handwriting in a pocket account-book belonging to Whieldon, now in my own possession. From this book I extract the following entries of “hirings,” for the purpose of showing the small amount of wages paid in those days as compared with the present, and the curious and amusing bargains which were made between master and workman as to “earnest money” and gifts of “old cloaths,” &c. The entries relating to Josiah Spode and Robert Gardner I have already given in another part of this volume:—


Back to IndexNext