NINETY-FOURTH FOOT.
The Regiment was raised at Glasgow.
It bears “The Elephant” in memory of the Badge borne by the old 94th, which was disbanded in 1818.
It was nicknamed “The Garvies” from the lean recruits it obtained when raised.
The first Regiment numbered the 94th was the 94th Royal Welsh Volunteers raised in 1760, and disbanded in 1763.
The second was raised in 1780, and disbanded in 1783; its uniform was Scarlet with White facings.
The third was raised in 1794, and disbanded 1795.
The fourth was the “Scots Brigade” which had been in the Dutch service since 1586 until 1793, except from 1688 to 1691; it was then taken into the English service, and numbered 94th in 1802. It served at Seringapatam 1799, Argaum 1803, and during the Peninsula War at the defence of Matagorda 1810, and at Sabugal, Fuentes d’Onor, Cuid=ad Rodrigo, Badajos, Salamanca, Vittoria, Nivelle, Orthes, and Toulouse; it was disbanded 1818. Its facings were Green.