JACKSON COUNTY

ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY IN HOOD RIVER COUNTY TWO MILES EAST OF CASCADE LOCKS. GRADED AND GRAVELED IN 1917 AND 1918ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAYIN HOOD RIVER COUNTY TWO MILES EAST OF CASCADE LOCKS.GRADED AND GRAVELED IN 1917 AND 1918

ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAYIN HOOD RIVER COUNTY TWO MILES EAST OF CASCADE LOCKS.GRADED AND GRAVELED IN 1917 AND 1918

The largest concrete bridge so far designed and constructed by the State Highway Department is that spanning Hood River near the city of Hood River. It consists of three arch spans 95 feet, center to center of piers, 110 feet of reinforced concrete approach on the Hood River side and a short approach on the opposite side.

As in other arch work of similar magnitude studied by the Department, it was found economical to support the arch superstructures on ribs instead of using rings extending clear across the roadway, and the open spandrel idea was carried out.

The concrete viaduct approach on the west side crosses three railroad tracks which govern the height of the bridge. In order to minimize this height through concrete girders were used, the girders projecting above rather than below the roadway slab.

The total cost of the structure complete will be about $48,000.00, of which Hood River County will contribute $8,000.00. The bridge was built under contract by Parker & Banfield. Mr. C. E. Carter was resident engineer on the work.

This is a ninety-foot reinforced concrete viaduct on the Columbia River Highway near Cascade Locks. This structure was built by A. D. Kern in connection with the grading contract on the Cascade Locks section. The cost complete was $7,389.06.

This is a 50-foot reinforced concrete bridge at Wyeth on the Columbia River Highway. It was built by A. D. Kern under the grading contract for the Cascade Locks Section. The total cost was $3,153.90.

Contemplating construction of the Columbia River Highway between Hood River and Mosier to eliminate the high summit, narrow road bed, and excessive grades between these points the Department made very thorough surveys for this important project.

A survey had previously been made developing distance up the Hood River Valley and reaching a summit of 1,107 feet with a corresponding additional length required on the Mosier end, making a total distance of 10.7 miles.

Because of its length and high summit a lower route was considered and a survey was made adjacent to the railroad, using a portion of the old abandoned railroad grade, but involving extremely heavy construction at certain points where the line skirts the high bluffs. The summit on thisroute was only 160 feet and its length 5.8 miles. However, the railroad company was contemplating a revision in the alignment of their tracks on this section, as well as the construction of a second track, which would still further lessen the space available for a highway. Also taking into consideration the difficult nature of the work and the uncertain cost due to track protection in blasting operations and the limited conditions under which the work must lie done to avoid interference with the railroad traffic, this route was revised in favor of a route further away from the tracks up on the side-hill. The summit reached is 522 feet and the length of this line is 6.3 miles, which includes a development of 5 per cent grade at each end and provides for a 24 foot roadbed.

This adopted route is very scenic and affords a splendid view of the Washington shore, as well as a view up and down the river. The construction is very heavy, being located on steep side-hill slopes and at one point involves a tunnel 200 feet long. This project is divided by the County line, making 4.0 miles in Hood River County and 2.2 miles in Wasco County. This project will be placed upon the 1919 program.

HEAVY GRADING ON RUTHTON HILL IN HOOD RIVER COUNTY. CONSTRUCTED IN 1917 AND 1918HEAVY GRADING ON RUTHTON HILL IN HOOD RIVER COUNTY.CONSTRUCTED IN 1917 AND 1918

HEAVY GRADING ON RUTHTON HILL IN HOOD RIVER COUNTY.CONSTRUCTED IN 1917 AND 1918

The Highway Department expended in Jackson County during 1917 and 1918 the sum of $86,619.88. The work accomplished with this amountconsists of six and five-tenths miles of 16-foot crushed rock macadam in the Siskiyou Mountains, an undergrade crossing with the Southern Pacific Railway just north of Ashland, and 4,200 lineal feet of grading and paving north of Ashland. A survey has also been started on the Ashland-Klamath Falls Road about fifteen miles of which was completed before weather conditions made it necessary to discontinue field work until spring.

On account of a contemplated undergrade crossing with the Southern Pacific Railway, a stretch of 4,200 feet on the Pacific Highway just north of Ashland was left unpaved between Ashland and Medford when the balance of the distance between those points was paved in 1914. In 1917 arrangement was made between the County and Railway Company for the construction of this undercrossing and the State Highway Commission set aside funds to cover the cost of the 4,200 feet of grading in connection therewith.

The Installation of the undercrossing structure was handled by the Southern Pacific Railway Company. The grading was handled by the County grading forces under the supervision of the Highway Department. Mr. F. H. Walker acted as resident engineer. The grading was commenced on January 7, 1918, and completed August 1, 1918. The total cost of the grading was $9,768.88, and was paid entirely from State funds.

Bids were called for on August 6, 1918, for the paving of the Ashland Hill Section, but as no satisfactory bids were received the work was undertaken by the Highway Department with State forces. This section of paving is 4,200 feet in length, and the type of pavement laid is a 16-foot concrete, 51⁄2inches thick at the sides and 61⁄2inches thick at the center. The mixture was a 1 : 2 : 31⁄2, and a ratio of 5.6 gallons of water per sack of cement was used.

The average haul on material was 1.2 miles and hauling was done by means of trucks. The cement was shipped to the job prior to the beginning of construction and stored at convenient locations near the work.

A sixteen cubic foot Koehring mixer equipped with boom and bucket was used for mixing the aggregate. The pavement, after being struck off, was finished by the roller and belt method. The pavement first being rolled from two to four times depending on the condition of the concrete and later belted with eight and ten inch belts. The eight inch belt being used first. A very satisfactory surface was obtained in this manner.

CONCRETE PAVEMENT ON ASHLAND HILL IN JACKSON COUNTY, ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY NORTH OF ASHLAND. GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918CONCRETE PAVEMENT ON ASHLAND HILL IN JACKSON COUNTY, ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAYNORTH OF ASHLAND. GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918

CONCRETE PAVEMENT ON ASHLAND HILL IN JACKSON COUNTY, ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAYNORTH OF ASHLAND. GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918

Continuous forms were used on this work and1⁄4x4 inch elastite joints were placed at 30 foot intervals, leaving approximately two inches of concrete above the elastite and giving the pavement the appearance of monolithic construction. It was found that a better riding pavement could be produced in this way as the inequalities at joints were eliminated and we believe that the use of this pavement will justify the adoption of this type on future work.

Gravel and crushed rock shoulders two feet wide were built on this section and the pavement was not covered while curing as the weather was cool and damp. However, the pavement was kept wet by sprinkling when necessary.

The crusher and roller on this work were furnished by Jackson County free of charge.

Mr. J. M. Baker was superintendent of construction on this work.

4,200 feet 16′ Concrete PavementBuilt in 1918

During the 1917 season, 61⁄2miles of broken stone macadam was constructed on thePacific Highway in the Siskiyou Mountains. This macadam is sixteen feet in width, and extends from the California State Line to Siskiyou. It was constructed with State forces under the supervision of L. L. Clarke, construction superintendent. A total of 17,780 cubic yards of rock were crushed and placed on the road. The cost of the work complete was $56,252.98.

On August 25, 1918, a location survey was started between Ashland and Klamath Falls. After a careful reconnaissance of the low passes, the route via Green Springs Mountain was chosen, as against the Dead Indian Summit, 500 feet higher.

Surveys were continued until November 30, when they were discontinued for the winter months. The present road is in such poor condition, that maintaining a locating party at work during the winter would be very expensive.

During the short time the party was in the field, 15.6 miles of location were staked, a six per cent grade from the summit of Green Springs Mountain toward Ashland being obtained, whereas the present road has many stretches over 20 per cent. Also, over a section between the Green Springs Summit and Jenny Creek, 9 miles to the south, a location has been obtained that will give for the greater distance, very cheap construction and the lightest of grades. This will be appreciated by all who have traveled the present rocky road with its series of bad grades.

ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY SOUTH OF WOLF CREEK IN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. CONSTRUCTED IN 1917 AND 1918ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY SOUTH OF WOLF CREEK IN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. CONSTRUCTED IN1917 AND 1918

ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY SOUTH OF WOLF CREEK IN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. CONSTRUCTED IN1917 AND 1918

This road is a very vital one to the Rogue River and Klamath Valleys. At present it is only passable during summer months for auto traffic, while a road built on standard line and grades would soon make it an all year highway.

There will be an enormous exchange of commodities between the two valleys when the road is constructed. It will make a three hour auto trip between Ashland and Klamath Falls, which now takes 81⁄2hours by train via Weed, California.

The location will be resumed in the spring, and continued to Klamath Falls. Surveys have been in charge of Mr. J. H. Scott, locating engineer.

Jefferson is the only county in Eastern Oregon that has not applied for State aid in some form. This County has been included in the State’s general Post Road scheme and doubtless will receive early attention from the State Highway Commission.

The State Highway Commission has ordered a reconnaissance survey made from Kingsley and Tygh Valley in Wasco County south through the Warm Springs Indian Reservation into Jefferson County along the west side of the Deschutes River. This investigation will be made during the coming spring.

The County is traversed by The Dalles-California Highway which will be a very important road. The Antelope-Mitchell Highway also passes through the northeast corner of the County.

During the two year period covered by this report, a very marked improvement has been made in the Pacific Highway across Josephine County. During this time 8.2 miles, or more than one-quarter of the total mileage of this highway in the County, were completed on standard grades and alignment, eliminating some of the heaviest and most dangerous grades between Portland and the California Line. The work done by the State consisted of the grading of a 4.9 mile section between Wolf Creek and Grave Creek in the northern part of the County, and the grading of a one mile section, known as the Locust Hill Section, about three miles south of Grants Pass. The work done by the County consisted of 2.3 miles of grading between Locust Hill and the Jackson County Line. This County work was contracted under State Highway Department specifications and was engineered by the Department engineers.

In addition to this construction work, location surveys were made over 23.6 miles of the Pacific Highway, completing the location across the County. These surveys were made in three sections: One from Wolf Creek to Grave Creek; one from Grants Pass to Grave Creek; and one from Wolf Creek to Stage Road Pass.

The total amount of money expended by the State in Josephine County during the fiscal years 1917 and 1918 was $77,998.14, and the amount expended by Josephine County under State supervision was approximately $8,500.00. Some considerable amount of work was also done by the County in grading just south of Grants Pass. While this work was not under State supervision, it was on the State survey and is standard as regards grade, alignment, cross-section, etc.

ON THE WOLF CREEK-GRAVE CREEK SECTION OF THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY IN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. GRADED IN 1918ON THE WOLF CREEK-GRAVE CREEK SECTION OF THE PACIFIC HIGHWAYIN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. GRADED IN 1918

ON THE WOLF CREEK-GRAVE CREEK SECTION OF THE PACIFIC HIGHWAYIN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. GRADED IN 1918

To eliminate four very heavy grades on the Pacific Highway between Wolf Creek and Grave Creek in Northern Josephine County, the Highway Commission appropriated funds for the grading of a 4.9 mile section between those points. The contract for the work was awarded to the American Exploration and Construction Company of Grants Pass on November 6, 1917. This construction was practically all on steep side-hills, and as only a small part of the material to be moved was hard rock, the job was an ideal one for steam shovel operation and over fifty per cent of the total yardage was moved by this method. The work was handled by the contractors in a very creditable manner, and an excellent roadbed was secured.

The grading was completed on October 20, 1918. The width of roadbed is 20 feet and the maximum grade is 5 per cent. Mr. J. E. Nelson was in charge of the work as resident engineer.

It is expected that this section will be macadamized during the 1919 season.

To complete the grading of the Pacific Highway between Grants Pass and Rogue River, the Highway Commission set aside funds for the construction of the Locust Hill Section, a section one mile in length located about three miles south of Grants Pass. The contract for this work was awarded to Albert Anderson & Co. of Grants Pass, and the construction was completed about June 1, 1918.

The necessary engineering supervision of this work was given by Mr. J. E. Nelson, resident engineer of the Wolf Creek-Grave Creek Section.

In the Spring of 1917, the County Court of Josephine County requested the Highway Department to engineer for them the construction of 2.3 miles of grading on the Pacific Highway between Locust Hill and the Jackson County Line. Plans and specifications were prepared for this work by the Highway Department and it was let by the County Court in two units: one to Albert Anderson & Co., of Grants Pass; the other to S. S. Schell of Oakland, Oregon.

The construction engineering was handled by the State Highway Department under resident engineer H. C. Compton. The work was completed in September, 1917, the total cost to the County being approximately $8,500.00.

The final estimate to Albert Anderson & Co., was as follows:

The old county road between Wolf Creek and Grave Creek on the Pacific Highway in Northern Josephine County, passed over two summits about 250 feet above the valley levels of Grave and Wolf Creeks, giving four long, heavy grades, in some places the grade being as high as 25 per cent. These two summits were about one mile apart, and the nature of the ground was such that support could be had for a practically level grade between the two.

With a view to locating this level grade between the summits and developing five per cent grades down the sides, a preliminary survey was made in October and November, 1916, under the direction of Mr. S. H. Probert. This survey was worked up in the office during January and February, 1917, and in July, 1917, the projected location was staked on the ground by Mr. C. C. Kelley, locating engineer.

The length of the survey was 4.9 miles, the terminal points being about three-quarters of a mile east of Wolf Creek Post Office and about three-quarters of a mile west of the Grave Creek Bridge.

The construction of this section, which was undertaken in the fall of 1917, is described in another article in this report.

ON THE WOLF CREEK-GRAVE CREEK SECTION OF THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY IN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. GRADED IN 1918ON THE WOLF CREEK-GRAVE CREEK SECTION OF THE PACIFIC HIGHWAYIN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. GRADED IN 1918

ON THE WOLF CREEK-GRAVE CREEK SECTION OF THE PACIFIC HIGHWAYIN JOSEPHINE COUNTY. GRADED IN 1918

This survey begins about three-quarters of a mile south of the Wolf Creek Post Office and follows, in a general way, the present county roads into the town of Wolf Creek and from Wolf Creek to a point about two miles south of Stage Road Pass. At this point it connects with a survey made by the Highway Department in 1915, and which is the location survey for a five per cent grade down from State Road Pass, which pass is on the line between Douglas and Josephine Counties.

The length of the survey from east of Wolf Creek to the connection with the previous survey is 2.5 miles. It was made in July, 1917, under the direction of Mr. C. C. Kelley, locating engineer.

To complete the location of the Pacific Highway across Josephine County, a survey was made in 1917 between Grants Pass and Grave Creek. This survey follows, in a general way, the present road between those points, deviating from it only where improvements in alignment or grade can be secured. The most important feature of this location is that it is on a five per cent grade over the Sexton Mountain Summit. The total length of the survey is 17.2 miles. Mr. C. C. Kelley was in charge of the work as locating engineer.

In Klamath County the work of the Highway Commission to date has been limited to surveys.

A careful reconnaissance has been made from Klamath Falls to Bend, Klamath Falls to Olene, and Klamath Falls to Ashland. Funds were limited for more extensive surveys during 1918, but the location from Ashland to Klamath Falls (seeJackson County report) was started and will be continued to Klamath Falls in 1919.

A short section between the Klamath Falls City Limits, through Pelican City to a connection with the existing road to Bend was located by the Highway Department in August, 1918, and stakes set for 7,500 feet of grading. This section has since been graded and covered with a cinder surface by the County.

State surveys in this section were in charge of J. H. Scott, locating engineer.

In 1917 the State Highway Commission appropriated funds to assist the County with the grading and macadamizing of a section of the Lakeview-Paisley Road through Crooked Creek Canyon. This work was handled by the County, and the total amount of State funds expended was $15,391.67. The work done consisted of 6.4 miles of grading and 4.0 miles of rock surfacing.

In 1917 State aid was given to Lane County in the amount of $6,099.86. This money was used in macadamizing the Pacific Highway between Latham and Divide. The work was handled by County forces under the supervision of H. W. Libby, county roadmaster.

For the elimination of the dangerous grade crossing of the Pacific Highway with the Southern Pacific Railway at Divide, the Highway Department made surveys and prepared plans for an overhead crossing at that point. The Public Service Commission of Oregon ordered that this overhead crossing be built, forty per cent of the cost to be paid by the Railway Company, thirty per cent by the State and thirty per cent by the County.

Bids were received for the construction of the structure and approach fills on September 10, 1918, but before work was begun, the United States Highways Council ordered that construction be delayed until after the war on account of the shortage in steel and cement. Work will, therefore, not be undertaken until the 1919 season.

The structure designed for this overcrossing is a three span reinforced concrete viaduct, providing clearance for the double tracking of the railway. The cost of the structure and the approach fills is estimated to be $19,500.00. In connection with this, about 1.3 miles of new grade must be built to connect with the present road, no part of the cost of which will be shared by the Railway Company. This grading is estimated to cost $9,000.00. As soon as the grading is completed, it will be macadamized by the Highway Commission.

In June, 1917, a survey was made from Goshen to a connection with the Pacific Highway south of Cottage Grove. This survey is on the east side of the Southern Pacific Railway from Goshen to Creswell, crosses the railway at grade at that point, and continues on the west side all the way to Cottage Grove, closely following the Southern Pacific alignment the entire distance. The total length of the survey was 18.2 miles. Mr. C. C. Kelley was the locating engineer in charge.

In 1917, the State Highway Commission extended State aid to Lincoln County in the grading of a one mile section of the Corvallis-Newport Road. This section is in the vicinity of Pioneer Mountain, and is known as the Pioneer Mountain section. The grading was handled by County forces and the total amount of State funds expended was $2,054.05.

In May, 1918, surveys were made by the Department for two large bridges in Lincoln County. One of these was for a bridge over Alsea River near Waldport and the other was for a bridge across the Yaquina River at Toledo. At the present time the only means of crossing the streams at these points is by ferry.

For the Alsea River Crossing a 264 foot bridge has been designed and is now under construction by Curtis Gardner, Bridge Contractor. This bridge consists of one 144 foot medium traffic wood span and 120 feet of wood trestle. The total cost of the structure will be approximately $10,000.00. The construction is under the supervision of the Highway Department, but is being paid for by Lincoln County.

The design has not yet been prepared for the bridge at Toledo, but the total length of the bridge will be about 3,000 feet.

In June, 1918, a survey was made between Neskowin in Tillamook County and Salmon River in Lincoln County. This survey was of a preliminary nature and was made to determine the feasibility of a road between these points. It was found that a five per cent grade could be obtained, but that owing to the extremely rugged nature of the country, a road of standard width and on a standard alignment would be so expensive as to be impracticable at this time.

The total length of the survey was eight miles. Mr. J. H. Scott was in charge of the work as locating engineer.

A survey of the Pacific Highway between the Marion County Line (Santiam River) and Albany, was made in December, 1917, and a definite route between these two points adopted. In a general way the located route follows the present road. Near the Jefferson end, however, the new locationcuts across the property of E. M. Miller, paralleling the Southern Pacific tracks with a net saving of 1,600 feet in distance over that of the present road. Near Miller Station the line again leaves the old road, eliminating four dangerous right angle turns by cutting diagonally across. The new location also provides for the elimination of the present grade crossing on the W. E. Fisher property by means of an overhead crossing just north of the grade crossing.

For the first one-half mile south of the Santiam River Bridge it will be necessary to materially raise the grade of the present road as it is considerably below high water, and therefore subject to overflow. It will also be necessary to construct a few low bridges on this section to provide waterways for flood waters.

It is expected that the Albany-Jefferson Section will be graded and paved during the 1919 season.

Malheur County is an important highway center. It is most favorably situated with respects to highways in Eastern Oregon, in that it serves as a common junction point for the Old Oregon Trail, John Day Highway and Central Oregon Highway. A fourth highway will enter the County from Nevada leading from Winnemucca north through Jordan Valley.

Malheur County is fairly well equipped for road work and has already made a most creditable showing. All the people are good roads boosters, having learned the value and necessity of improved roads. This was proven by their voting a $20,000.00 bond issue at the recent election. The purpose of this fund is to meet the State and Federal appropriation of $80,000.00.

In area, Malheur County is an empire in itself. The natural result is an extra large mileage of roads, and many of them run through mountainous districts. To improve only the main highways in Malheur County is a huge undertaking.

The State Highway Commission fully realizes the inability of most of the counties in Eastern Oregon to cope with the situation and has determined to extend aid in every manner possible. That State aid may be substantial and a benefit to all the counties, the Commission is making an urgent call for more State funds.

In Malheur County near Brogan a 9.85 mile section of the John Day Highway has been surveyed by the State Highway Department. The Commission has set aside $20,000.00 for the construction of this road and an equal amount is requested from the Government. The County has appropriated $13,958.00 for the purpose of co-operating in this construction.

State funds to the amount of $20,000.00 have been set aside for the improvement of a 6.76 mile section of the Central Oregon Highway. This section extends from Vale 6.76 miles west to Burrell’s Ranch. The Government is requested to share in the cost in amount equal to the sum given by the State. The County’s share in this project will be $14,420.00.

The following statement shows the amounts appropriated for expenditure in 1919:

Both of the above mentioned sections are Post Road Projects. Negotiations with the U. S. Public Roads Office are under way for the gradingof the Cow Valley-Brogan Road, and the Burrell-Vale Project will be submitted within a short time. It is hoped construction will begin early in 1919.

During October and November, 1918, the State Highway Commission made a location survey of a 9.85 mile section of the John Day Highway between Cow Valley and Brogan. The line follows in the direction of the present road, but marked departures from the location were made in several places. Plans for this work are about fifty per cent complete. R. H. Coppock, locating engineer for the State Department, was in charge of this work.

A survey is in progress on the section of the Central Oregon Highway between Burrell’s Ranch and Vale. This line will follow along near what is called the Post Hill road, and will be about seven miles in length. Immediately upon completion of the field work, the plans will be rushed in order that early action may be taken by the U. S. Office of Public Roads. The State Commission’s 1919 construction program includes this section.

The survey is in charge of R. H. Coppock, locating engineer.

During April, 1918, a reconnaissance survey was made by M. O. Bennett, division engineer, for the Department, over the routes between Burns and Vale for the purpose of establishing a definite route for the Central Oregon Highway. This investigation resulted in the choice of the river route by the State Highway Commission. The route as selected goes direct from Burns to Crane, thence down the Malheur River through Riverside, Juntura and Harper to Vale.

In November, 1918, a reconnaissance survey was made by the State Department for the purpose of establishing the most feasible route between Jordan Valley and Vale and Ontario. This report has not yet been submitted to the Commission, but the findings seem to favor the Sucker Creek Route. This survey was made by Manche O. Bennett, division engineer.

One of the first paving projects to come up for consideration by the State Highway Commission was that of the Pacific Highway between Salem and Aurora in Marion County. Upon investigating this project, it was found that rural mail was carried over practically the entire distance between Salem and Aurora. This fact made the improvement of this road subject to Federal Aid, and as very few sections of State Roads west of the Cascade Mountains will qualify for Federal Aid, it was considered advisable to use some of the Federal money available to the State in the improvement of this section.

INTERCOUNTY BRIDGE OVER THE WILLAMETTE AT SALEM. BUILT BY MARION AND POLK COUNTIES IN 1917 AND 1918. COST $250,000.00. TOTAL LENGTH 2,220 FEETINTERCOUNTY BRIDGE OVER THE WILLAMETTE AT SALEM.BUILT BY MARION AND POLK COUNTIES IN 1917 AND 1918.COST $250,000.00. TOTAL LENGTH 2,220 FEET.

INTERCOUNTY BRIDGE OVER THE WILLAMETTE AT SALEM.BUILT BY MARION AND POLK COUNTIES IN 1917 AND 1918.COST $250,000.00. TOTAL LENGTH 2,220 FEET.

With a view to securing the approval of this project by the Federal Office of Public Roads, and to undertaking the construction during the1918 season, the necessary surveys were made in January and February, 1918, and the plans submitted to the Office of Public Roads in March, 1918. The final approvement by the Government was received June 15, 1918, and on June 25 proposals for the construction were received and opened. The lowest bid received was from Warren Construction Company, Portland, Oregon, but as it was in excess of the State Highway Engineer’s estimate, and in excess of the available funds, all bids were rejected.

The work would have then been started by the Highway Department with State forces, but it was just at this time that the shortage of labor, materials, transportation facilities, etc., became serious, and the Federal Government called for curtailment of road construction, and the Highway Commission was forced to order the discontinuance of preparation for this paving, as well as for all other proposed work in the State.

Now, that Peace is in sight, there is every reason to believe that the Highway Commission will order that construction begin on the Salem-Aurora Paving at the very earliest date, and its completion may be looked for during the 1919 season.

This paving is to be sixteen feet wide with a two-foot rock shoulder on each side. The type will depend upon the bids received. The paving will start about four miles north of the city limits of Salem and extend to the Marion-Clackamas County Line, just north of Aurora, the total length being eighteen miles. It is estimated that this work will cost $360,000.00.

Thenew bridgeover the Willamette River at Salem, designed and built under the supervision of the State Highway Department, is one of the largest strictly highway bridges erected in the United States in 1918. This structure has a total length of 2,220 feet, and consists of 352 feet of reinforced concrete approach on the Marion County end, six steel spans over the river aggregating 885 lineal feet, and 780 feet of high class pile trestle approach on the Polk County end.

To provide for the river navigation, the U. S. Engineers required a minimum horizontal clearance normal to the channel of 120 feet and a vertical clearance of at least sixty-six feet above low water, in case a high level type of bridge were adopted. After careful study it was decided to construct a high level bridge of the deck type, and to carry the pony channel span on cantilevers projecting from the adjoining spans, giving an arch effect over the channel. By this type of construction, a clear distance of about 145 feet between channel piers was obtained.

To minimize the cost of fabrication and erection of steel, four spans were made practically the same. The east span was necessarily shorter than the typical ones, since otherwise it would place the channel opening too far across the river. This span is not so deep as the adjoining one, and the difference in height is made up by means of a rocker under the small span, which, of course, also serves the purpose of movable shoes. The channel span rests on cast steel rockers on one end, which are carried by a shelf on the cantilever panel. The opposite end of the span was pin connected.

Previous to the design of the bridge, wash borings were made, which indicated in a general way that the bed of the stream was composed of a few feet of gravel, underlaid with sand for a considerable depth. It was accordingly decided to carry the foundations down below the probablepoint of future scour, and carry the loads entirely upon piling. The two channel piers were sunk about thirty-five feet below low water.

The west approach is carried on fir piling treated in an open vat with carbolineum to a temperature of about 220 degrees F.

Lumber being comparatively cheap, the entire roadway deck of the bridge and wooden approach is composed of fir, three by seven inches and twenty-six feet long on edge, spiked together, thus projecting a foot outside the curb on either side, the roadway being twenty-four feet between curbs. An asphaltic wearing surface three and one-half inches thick effectively waterproofs the wood, and the small interstices between the pieces will allow sufficient circulation of air to preclude any possibility of attack of dry rot. The ends of the floor members were painted with hot carbolineum, as were also the wooden members contiguous to openings in the floor occasioned by expansion joints between spans.

The two five-foot concrete sidewalks are carried on brackets beyond the trusses. The curbs serve as reinforced concrete beams to carry half the sidewalk load to the trusses, there being small concrete struts extending up from the top of the top chords at panel and midpanel points. Between the bottom of the curb and the top of the wooden floor is a three-quarter-inch cushion of “Sarco.” Since the bridge is on a grade, it was necessary to precast this in sheets the width of the curb. When the material hardened, it was rolled up in convenient lengths and placed. It will thus be possible in the future to renew the wooden floor with comparatively little difficulty, although it is believed that the wood floor base, protected as it is now, should last at least fifty years.

On account of the rather extreme length for pony trusses of the channel span, 123 feet between end pins, it was decided to tie the trusses together, and this was accomplished by means of two arched lattice struts placed each twenty feet and six inches from the center of the span.

A final coat of battleship gray paint was applied to the steel work, and has evoked considerable favorable comment, being an innovation from the black paint commonly used in this part of the country.

The bridge was built by the Coast Bridge Company and Robert Wakefield of Portland. The cost of the structure complete was $250,000.00, of which Marion County paid approximately $200,000.00 and Polk County $50,000.00.

The engineering cost for the work is remarkably low. It includes surveys, borings, inspection of cement and steel fabrications, resident engineer’s salary, cost of design, blue prints and supplies and stenographic work, and amounts to $4,600.00, or about one and eight-tenths per cent of the total cost.

A reconnaissance between the city limits of Salem and the Linn County Line (Santiam River) just south of Jefferson, was made in the spring of 1918, and the following facts developed, as regards the comparison of three possible routes between these points:

A detailed survey was made over this so-called Jackson Hill route, and its advantages caused the Highway Commission to adopt it as the route of the Pacific Highway between these points. It is estimated the cost will be $109,000.00 to complete the subgrade, and it is expected this project will be commenced in 1919.

In Morrow County there are found all classes of conditions affecting roads and highway improvement. In some parts of the County there are good natural roads, while in other sections they are extremely poor. As in most other Eastern Oregon Counties, Morrow County has to wrestle with the problem of maintaining a large road mileage with a constant shortage of road funds. Highways are of extreme importance, as there are large agricultural communities that have no railway connections.

During the past two years the highway movement in Morrow County has experienced a wonderful growth. County authorities have broken the bonds of established custom, and have made a most creditable beginning in highway improvement. Although they have been supported by special road taxes, in most of the districts the available funds are far from adequate.

The State Highway Commission early realized the importance of good roads in this County, and took steps to extend the State aid through the Post Road Fund. The plans failed when the U. S. Office of Public Roads found it impossible to co-operate on the projects in question. This failure was due to nonfulfillment of post road requirements. Additional State aid was extended through the provisions of the $6,000,000.00 fund, but the execution of these plans were delayed by war conditions. This fund is still available, and the State Highway Commission will begin work as soon as conditions will permit.

Morrow County has received favorable consideration from the Highway Commission in the matter of surveys, it being the only county in Eastern Oregon in which the total mileage of State roads has been surveyed. Those surveys cover the Columbia River Highway in the north end of the County, and the Oregon-Washington Highway via Heppner, Ione and Lexington.

The Columbia River Highway was first surveyed under the direction of M. O. Bennett, and later additional work was done by Oscar Cutler. This survey was 13.85 miles in length. R. H. Baldock was locating engineer on the Oregon-Washington Highway survey, which has a total length of 66.1 miles.

During 1918 Morrow County graded 2.26 miles of standard road adjacent to the town of Heppner. A 1.82-mile section begins at the west city limits of Heppner and extends down Willow Creek on the State survey. Another section extends from the east city limits up Hinton Creek for a distance of .44 miles.

The County paid the total cost of this improvement which required $5,689.19. The State Department supplied the engineering supervision for this work through R. H. Baldock, resident engineer.

Following is a statement of construction quantities:

The 3.22-mile section of the Oregon-Washington Highway known as the Jones Hill Grade, lies about ten miles east of Heppner, and extends over the divide between Hinton and Butler Creeks. The State location involved the construction of an entirely new road. This improvement was paid for in full by the County, the total cost being $25,050.26.

R. H. Baldock, resident engineer for the State Highway Department, was the engineer in charge.

Construction quantities are shown in the following statement:

After grading the 1.82-mile section of the Oregon-Washington Highway west of Heppner, and .44 miles east, Morrow County proceeded to surface with a standard waterbound macadam. This work was done on a force account basis by the United Contracting Co. and Warren Construction Co. The work was completed and opened to traffic in July, 1918.

The 2.26 miles of macadam cost the County a total of $19,280.35. A total of 4,208 cubic yards of rock was placed, making the unit cost $4.56 per cubic yard. Crushed trap rock was secured from a quarry near the city limits, and suitable binder material was found near at hand. The engineer in charge was R. H. Baldock of the State Department.

Although the assessed valuation of Multnomah County is more than thirty-five per cent of the total assessed valuation of the entire State, this County has renounced all claim to any share of the State Funds available for road purposes, and will construct and maintain in a high state of improvement, at its own expense, all State Roads within its boundaries. This liberal attitude of the people of Multnomah County is to be commended, and it makes available for expenditure in counties outside of Multnomah County, a much greater amount of money than would otherwise be the case.

The roads of Multnomah County represent some of the heaviest grading construction, some of the best improved and some of the most scenic highways to be found anywhere in the world. The Upper Columbia River Highway is by many considered the most scenic highway in the United States, and attracts a multitude of tourists annually.

An interesting tabulation of the amounts expended by Multnomah County in the construction of the Columbia River Highway, both above and below Portland, is appended:

The work of the State Highway Department in Polk County during 1917 and 1918 has been confined chiefly to the design and the supervision of construction of bridges. In addition to the design and supervision of the Salem Bridge which is partly within Polk County, and which is described in detail in an article in the chapter devoted to Marion County, the Department has handled, at the request of the Polk County Court, the following bridge work, all of which has been paid for by the County.

Between Monmouth and Dallas a 37 foot reinforced concrete bridge was built over a slough on the Mulkey Cut-off. This bridge complete cost $1,898.17.

The Hollingshead Bridge over the Little Luckiamute River south of Dallas is a 72 foot covered wooden span on concrete piers. This bridge was built at a cost of $3,615.00.

A 160 foot suspension foot-bridge was built over the Big Luckiamute River at a cost of $500.00, to accommodate school children attending the Montgomery School.

The LaCreole Creek Bridge in Dallas is a reinforced concrete arch structure seventy feet long. This bridge was not designed by the Highway Department, but the Department supervised its construction. It is a very pretty structure with sidewalks and lighting fixtures. It was built at a cost of $10,755.68.

Sherman County is so situated with respect to the State Highway System, that its boundaries include a comparatively small mileage of State roads. This however, is no indication of the value improved roads will be in the County. The situation is of both state wide and local importance.

This County is found with many miles of good natural road. In addition they have graded a large mileage and in some localities unusual attention is given to road maintenance. The County is fairly well equipped for road work and have plans for quite an extensive program.

State aid in Sherman County thus far has been confined to highway surveying, but the State Highway Commission has definite plans for extending aid in the construction of the Deschutes and John Day River Bridges and the grading of the Columbia River Highway. It is expected this work will start early the coming season.

Various attempts have been made by Sherman, Wasco County and the State to raise funds for the construction of the Deschutes River Bridge on the Columbia River Highway. Success crowned these efforts recently when a final agreement was reached between the three.

The total estimated cost of this bridge is between $70,000.00 and $75,000.00. The State Department plans call for a reinforced concrete structure about 600 feet in length.

Sherman County has pledged $25,000 towards defraying the cost of the bridge providing funds are raised for completing same. This condition has been met by the State Highway Commission and negotiations are already underway for securing right-of-way. In this connection it is pertinent to state that Wasco County also has appropriated $25,000.00 for co-operation in this work. The State’s share of the cost will be approximately $25,000.00, according to the present estimate.

During 1918 the State Department made a location survey of the Columbia River Highway between the Deschutes and John Day Rivers. The line follows the river canyon through Sherman, Biggs and Rufus. The length of this survey is 14.66 miles. The field work only has been completed on this survey and construction plans will be made up soon. C. S. Noble was the locating engineer for the Department.

This inter-county bridge will be located on the Columbia River Highway across the John Day River, below McDonald, and will obviate the necessity for the toll ferry at McDonald.

As designed, the crossing calls for 2-123 foot wooden deck spans on concrete piers and about 120 feet of high class wooden approach and 100 feet of fill. The cost, which is estimated to be $20,000.00, will be borne by Sherman and Gilliam Counties, and the State, and it is probable that construction work will start next spring.


Back to IndexNext